Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Spring 1994

It seemed Harry to the whole school cared more than usual about the approaching match. Everyone wanted Slytherin defeated. Even the professors were taking an interest in the game. Professor Flitwick refused to assign homework for the weekend. Professor McGonagall too did not give homework, but she threatened to double it if the house didn't win the match. Professor Snape took points when Harry arrived late because his protective detail delayed him.  


None of it mattered though. Gryffindor was able to easily win the Quidditch Cup.  Harry was able to cast his first real Patronus during the match. Too bad, it wasn't against an actual Dementor. Instead, it was sent at Draco’s henchmen dressed as Dementors.


After the game, life became far less fun, exams here once again the students of Hogwarts. Percy, who was sitting his N.E.W.T.s, the highest level of certification the school offered and was likely to snap if someone in the common room so much as breathed too loudly. The only person who may have been more high strung was Hermione. She could be found up late at night working on complicated Ruins translations or diagrams of Muggles lifting heavy objects.


Harry, now free of Quidditch practice, was able to start helping Neville with their research in the defense of Buckbeak. The trail would be on the last day of exams. The trio was desperately trying to find anything that might save the hippogriff's life. So far, they weren't having much luck. Hagrid was trying to give the animal as nice of a time as he could.
Harry had managed to make through all of his exams so far with varying degrees of success. His tea kettle turned turtle for Professor McGonagall's Transfiguration exam may have been a bit off, but it didn't still have a spout for a tail like Ron, or willow pattern shell like Dean. Professor Lupin's exam had been the easiest for Harry.


The Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor had set up a bit of an obstacle course that each student, in turn, had to face. Harry had cruised through with ease. Neville did well with a Boggart, hinkypunks, and red caps, but got tripped up and caught by the grindylow. Hermione went to pieces at the Boggart.  Professor Lupin had to spend several minutes reassuring her that it was all fine. Ron wasn't so kind; he made fun of her all through lunch, for her Boggart being Professor McGonagall telling her she failed everything.


Harry and Neville's last exam was Divination while Hermione went to sit hers for Arithmancy. Professor Trelawney called each person into the tower classroom in turn. They would have to tell her a fortune using one of the methods they had studied over the last year. Harry had never been able to see anything in any of the methods they had studied so it made little difference to him.


Neville was one of the first to be called. He disappeared up into the stuffy room for only ten minutes before returning. He refused to tell anybody about it. Professor Trelawney said if he did, he would have a terrible accident. Harry cared a great deal for his friend, but even he could guess that. The boy was one of the clumsiest people Harry had ever met. The crowd on the landing whittled down until it was only Harry left sitting there.

"Harry Potter," Trelawney's ethereal voice called.

Harry climbed the stairs into the attic room. It was sweltering hot, the air heavy was strange perfumes. A large crystal ball sat in the center of a little table covered in lace doilies. Harry came and sat across the table from his professor.

"You will tell me what you see in the crystal ball," she instructed.

Harry stared in vain at the glittering orb, but as always, saw only fog.  

"What do you see?"

Harry cast his mind around for anything to say. The only thing that came to mind was Hagrid and Buckbeak's appeal. It was supposed to be starting any time now.

"I see Buckbeak," Harry said.

"Ahh... You must be seeing the fate of Hagrid's poor creature on trial today."

"Yeah," Harry agreed.

"What more do you see?"

"Hagrid's crying," Harry continued.

"And what of the animal? A bloody ax perhaps, pools of blood and feathers?"

Harry shook his head, "No... He's flying away. "

"Ah well, a good attempt Mr. Potter. That will be all," she said making a few last marks on Harry's paper.

Harry shrugged and collected his bags.

"HE RETURNS THIS NIGHT," Trelawney said. This wasn't her usual voice, It was deeper and like it was coming from a great distance.

"What was that professor," Harry said turning back to the woman.

Professor Trelawney sat rigged in her chair, the jeweled glasses that always made her eyes look like a great big bug sat crooked on her face.
"HE WILL RETURN AGAIN THIS NIGHT...THE DARK LORD LIES ALONE AND FRIENDLESS ABANDONED BY HIS FOLLOWERS. HIS SERVANT HAS BEEN CHAINED THESE TWELVE YEARS. TONIGHT, BEFORE MIDNIGHT... THE SERVANT WILL BREAK FREE AND SET OUT TO REJOIN HIS MASTER. THE DARK LORD WILL RISE AGAIN WITH HIS SERVANT'S AID, GREATER AND MORE TERRIBLE THAN EVER HE WAS. TONIGHT... BEFORE MIDNIGHT... THE SERVANT... WILL SET OUT... TO REJOIN... HIS MASTER..." Trelawney said before her head fell forward.

"Who will return tonight?" Harry asked.

"What was that dear? I must have drifted off," Trelawney said looking to Harry.

"Nevermind,"  Harry grumbled the words of that far off voice still stuck in his head. He rushed downstairs to tell Neville and Hermione what he just heard, but it was driven from his mind in the moments after reuniting with his friends. They wanted to relax the good weather and end of exams. They wouldn't know their results for a week or so and Hagrid was busy with Buckbeak's case.

They weren't the only ones wanting to hear about Buckbeak's fate. Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle sat on the steps of the castle talking and laughing as the trio came down the stairs.   

"Off to see the oaf?" Malfoy drawled. "I bet his great chicken doesn't have much longer."

"Why you foul, loathsome, little cockroach," Hermione said before punching Draco hard in the lower jaw.

"You'll pay for that, Mudblood," Draco said, a hand flying up to his injured jaw.

Hermione pulled her fist back again, but Draco was already heading into the castle.  She turned headed in the opposite direction, down the lawn towards the lake.

"That was brilliant," Harry said, jogging to catch up with the girl.

"It felt really good," Hermione admitted running a hand over her sore knuckles.

"He's going to tell Professor Snape," Neville warned.

"No," Harry said with a chuckle, "He wouldn't want to admit he just got hit by a girl."

"Are you sure?"

"I don't care," Hermione said, flopping down gracelessly onto the lawn under a large oak tree.

The three of them spent the time until dinner relaxing under the tree. Harry all but forgot about Trelawney's prediction. They were even able to set their worry about Hagrid aside for a few hours, that was until they reached the castle steps.

There stood the Minister of Magic in his signature lime-green bowler hat and pinstriped cloak. Next to him was a thick, cruel looking man, a large ax hung from his hip.  They were accompanied too, by a very old and frail looking wizard. The Minister informed Harry they were there for Buckbeak's trial and execution.  
"I can't believe they've already made up their minds," Hermione said taking a helping of chicken from the serving trays.

"Maybe they haven't," Neville offered disingenuously, "maybe they just want to be prepared.

"I wouldn't count on it," Harry said picking at his mashed potatoes.

"We should go see him," Neville said.

"Yeah," Harry agreed.

"We can go after dinner," Hermione added.

"But how?" Neville asked, "We're not supposed to be outside after dark."

"Harry, where did you leave your cloak?" Hermione asked.

"In the tunnel to Hogsmeade. If Professor Snape sees me anywhere near there, he'll skin me alive," Harry said shaking his head. "I don't know how I managed to get out of his office as it is."

"You can't but he wouldn't ever expect me," Hermione said with a slightly mischievous look.

Harry and Neville grinned. They really had been a bad influence on her. The boys waited for Hermione by the Great Hall as she disappeared upstairs.  Harry could feel Professor

Snape's eyes on him. He tried to look as innocent as possible.

Hermione came back a little while later her book bag stuffed with the cloak. They walked out to a small room off the hall and waited for there to be a break. After they hadn't heard anybody for a while they threw the cloak over all three of them. It was harder to do now than in first year. They had to go slow so nobody could see their feet.
There was some loud shuffling as Hagrid came to the door of his hut.  They could hear him yelling at Fang to get back. Finally, the door opened. From the look on his face, they could tell the trail hadn't gone well.

“Oh it’s yeh lot,” Hagrid said.  “Yeh shouldn’ta come,” Hagrid said sadly.

“We couldn’t let you be alone,” Hermione said.

Hagrid stepped aside to let them in.  “I wouldn’ta been alone.  Dumbledore says he’ll come down ter be with me.” Hagrid whipped a tear away from his face, “Great man, Dumbledore.”

“Hagrid,” Hermione asked, “Where’s Buckbeak?”

“He’s tied up outside,” Hagrid said motioning with one huge hand.  “I thought he should get ter see one last sunset.” He broke down in uncontrollable sobs.

“How about some tea?” Hermione asked.

Harry cocked his head at his friend.

“Your aunt doesn’t make tea when someone is upset?”  She asked.

“Gran does,” Neville said, “I’ll make it.” He hopped up and placed the huge copper kettle on the fire to boil.

Hermione collected mugs and placed them on the table.   

Neville went through the cabinets looking for tea leaves and sugar. “Hagrid, where’s the milk?”

“Second cupboard,” Hagrid choked out mid-sob.

Neville opened the indicated cupboard and pulled down a half-empty bottle of milk. But dropped it when something moved in the back of the cupboard.

“What’s up Neville?” Harry asked standing up.

"Something moved in the cupboard," Neville said pulling out a second bottle and placed it on the counter. He grabbed the creature that startled him so badly by the tail. "It was just a rat."  Neville carried the rat over for closer inspection.

The rat tried his best to squirm out of Neville's hands. He scratched and the hands holding him until Neville only had him but the tail. Harry grabbed a glass bowl from the draining board Neville set the terrified rat down as Harry slammed the bowl down over the top of him.

Harry after a moment of inspection, stunned said, "That's not just any rat, that's Scabbers."

"What!" Hermione demanded.

"Look," Harry said pointing to the missing front toe. "How many rats are missing that toe, or are that bald."

She wasn't as familiar with Ron's rat, but she had to agree, this was Scabbers. "I told him Crookshanks didn't eat his stupid rat."

There were voices outside.

"That's them," Hagrid realized. "Out the back. I don't want yer in trouble cause oh me."

"Get Scabbers," Harry urged as he picked up the cloak. "We'll take him back to Ron."

Neville grabbed the rat with great difficulty. He couldn't get the rat to go in his pocket and stay. Hagrid opened the back door and the three carefully made their way into the garden. Buckbeak turned his great orange eyes in their direction, but couldn't see them. That didn't stop him from scratching the ground nervously, his six inch long talons making deep ruts in the soil.

"What if we let him go?" Harry asked.

"They'll think Hagrid did it," Hermione whispered back.

Neville was still fighting to keep hold of the rat. It squeaked and scratched.

 "Stop it," Neville moaned.  "Owww!" Neville dropped the rat and let put a painfully cry as the crossed the grounds.

“What happened?" Hermione asked.

"He bit me, " Neville said before throwing off the cloak chasing after the rodent. "Scabbers, stop," Neville cried.

Neville didn't see it as he scanned the grass, the bear-sized dog that tackled him as he finally recaptured Ron's wayward pet. Neville screamed at the sight of fierce jaws snarled in his face. He unsuccessfully tried to roll away, but the beast was too big. It sunk its jaws into Neville's leg and dragged him off and under a tree.

"Neville," Hermione moaned.

Harry ran forward but was hit by a six-inch wide limb. Of course, the dog had gone into the tunnel under the Whomping Willow. Branch after branch rained blows on the pair of teens as they tried to rescue their friend. Their rescue came in an unexpected form, a smash-faced, bandy-legged orange cat, Crookshanks. The cat placed a paw on a knot on the tree and the branches stopped their vicious attack.

"Oh, thank you, Crookshanks," Hermione said but the cat was gone.  

They could just make out the tip of his bottlebrush tail disappearing under the now calm tree. Harry and Hermione followed the cat down the low tunnel, carefully ducking to avoid roots coming down through the low ceiling, occasionally bumping their heads on roots, or stumbling over stones in their ways.

“Where are we going?” Hermione asked.

“I’m not sure,” Harry replied, “but I think I have an idea of where this goes.”

“How did Crookshanks know how to stop the tree?” Hermione asked.

“I don’t know, but he seems to know that dog.”

Through the silence, they walked as fast as they could on the uneven surface, in a crouched position.  The tunnel seemed to last forever.  They just hoped their friend would be okay when found him.  The earth sloped gently upward near the end leading to a small set of wooden stairs.  They climbed them hoping the boards didn’t creak as they made their way up.

The steps lead into a dusty room, broken furniture surrounded them.  Hermione let out a sudden gasp, realizing where they were.  Harry looked back confused.

“We’re in the Shrieking Shack,” she whispered.

“Are you sure?” Harry asked back.

Hermione nodded vigorously.

“Neville’s this way,” he said spotting the trail in the thick dust.

It led upstairs.  They were not as lucky this time, as they mounted their way up.  A stair about halfway up, creaking loudly, disturbing the silence of the shack.
Neville lay on a broken four poster bed, his leg bleeding.  His round face was pale and sweaty in a mixture of pain and fear.
“Where’s the dog?”  Harry demanded.

“Not a dog,” Neville said shakily, confusing Harry further.

“What do you mean not a dog?”

Neville pointed a shaking finger at opposite side of the room; there stood the deranged Sirius Black, a wicked grin spread across his manic face.  Hermione screamed.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

“Expelliarmus!” The adult wizard yelled, denying Harry and Hermione their wands.


Harry lunged at the wizard, all thoughts of doing magic, or that this was a full-grown man and he was a short, skinny, thirteen-year-old, forgotten in his anger.  He jumped at the man his fists flying without a care.  Black simply laughed.  He didn’t seem to notice that he was being punched repeatedly by this scrawny teenager as they lay tousling on the dirty floor.

“Harry,” Hermione screamed, distressed by her friend’s reckless actions.

Black threw the boy off eventually, seeming none the worse for wear.

“You killed my parents,” Harry screamed at the madman.

“Harry,” Hermione exclaimed again.

“You’re just like your father.” Sirius said with another laugh, “Just like James.”

“Don’t talk about my parents. You killed them.” Harry exclaimed again.

“I didn’t, but I might as well have.  It was Peter Pettigrew.  He’ll pay for it tonight.”

“What!  You’re mad! Pettigrew is dead!  You killed him!”  Harry yelled again.

“He’s not,” Sirius said back.  “He’s right here, in this very room.”

“He’s completely mad,” Neville said from his place on the bed.

“No. No, I’m not,” Sirius insisted.  “Peter’s been here all this time.”

There was another creak as someone else came up the stairs.  The quartet was joined by another familiar face, Remus Lupin.

“I knew it,” Hermione exclaimed as the three children watched the two men embrace.

“What?” Harry demanded, spinning around to his angered friend.

“I knew it.  I knew he’s been helping him.  He has to have been.”

“I have not, Hermione,” Lupin said breaking the embrace with the other wizard.

“You have to have been,” Hermione insisted.

“No. No, I don’t.  Honestly, I have not been helping Sirius.” Lupin

“Don’t trust anything he says,” Hermione instructed the boys.  “Don’t trust him.  He’s a werewolf.”  Anger clear in her shaking voice.

“Not at all up to your usual standards,” Lupin said softly.  “I have not been helping Sirius.  Here.  Take your wands back,” Lupin said throwing back the appropriate to each of the teens in turn, before setting his own aside.  “I have not been helping Sirius.  But I am a werewolf.  How long have you known?”

“Since Professor Snape set the essay,” Hermione said her anger still clear.

“He’ll be happy to hear that.  It is of course why he set the assignment,” Lupin said with shaking his head.

“Snape?” Black asked, huskily to Lupin.

“He’s here,” Lupin confirmed.  “He’s teaching Potions.”

Black out a disapproving scoff.

“If you haven’t been helping him, how’s he been getting into the castle,” Hermione asked. “And…”

“He killed my parents,” Harry shouted over his teacher.

“Harry, he didn’t,” Lupin said once more, “Peter Pettigrew did.  We can show you.”

“It’s all mad,” Neville muttered.

“He admitted it,”  Harry said ignoring Neville’s comments.  “He said he killed my parents.”

“No,” Black growled, “I said ‘I had good as done.’”

“They died because of him,” Harry said pointing at the escaped convict.

“Yes,” Black agreed, his face falling losing its manic grin for the first time.

“See,” Harry said pointing at the wizard. “He killed them.”

“No,” Lupin insisted yet again.  “Neville, let me see the rat.

“Huh?” Neville said trying to keep hold of the still panicked rodent.

Lupin let out a tired sigh, “Harry, there is a great deal to explain.  It will all be much easier once you can see properly.”

“Let’s just kill him,” Black snapped.

“No, Sirius,” Lupin said turning back to his friend. “Harry deserves to know the truth, all the of truth.”

Black let out a frustrated growl.  “I’ve waited twelve years.  I want to commit the murder I was convicted of.”

“Sirius, we owe him an explanation,” Lupin reminded him.

“Fine,” Black conceded with another angry huff, “Make it quick.”

“Sirius, you’ll have to explain some of it.  I don’t know the whole story, but it all starts back at Hogwarts.”

“Remus,” Black grumbled.

“They need to understand, that means starting at the beginning.”

“Fine,” Sirius said sinking down onto the bed, sitting as far away from Neville as possible, making sure not to disturb the boy’s injured leg.  Crookshanks happily hopped into the man’s lap, purring loudly as the man stroked behind his tufted orange ears.

“Hermione is correct, I am a werewolf.  That’s where this story begins.” Lupin began. “I was bitten as a small boy.  My family feared I would never be able to attend Hogwarts given my condition.

“My family’s fears were alleviated one afternoon with a visit from Professor Dumbledore.  He promised that I would be able to attend school, like any other normal boy my age. It was a dream I never thought I would be able to achieve.  But something I always wished to do.

“I boarded the train as an eleven-year-old boy and was Sorted into Gryffindor. There I made my first friends, Peter Pettigrew, Sirius Black, and your dad,” Remus said gesturing to the boy, “James Potter.  Now like you Hermione, they couldn’t help noticing how I kept disappearing.  I made excuses, my mother was ill and I had to go visit, that I was sick.  They were some of the most talents youth of our generation.

“Eventually they figured out what was wrong with me.  They confronted me, they wanted to know why I failed to confide in them.  How could I have admitted I was a monster?  Instead of ridiculing me, abandoning me, they did something very different.”

“What?” Harry asked.

“They became Animagi.” Lupin said with a smile, “That was in the days before the Wolfsbane Potion, without it I become a vicious beast, I used to bite and scratch myself since I had no people to attack. I couldn’t be around people but I could be around other animals.

“It took them the better four years to figure out how to do it. By fifth year all three were able to transform successfully.  Sirius became the great black dog, Peter a rat…”

“What was my dad?” Harry asked excitedly.

“Hurry it up,” Black barked watching the squirming rat.

There was another creak of the stairs.

“This place is haunted.  Gran always said it was haunted,” Neville said looking at the door toward the stairs.

“Augusta isn’t always right,” Lupin said with a soft chuckle.

“I wouldn’t tell her that,” Neville said uneasily.

“I wouldn’t either,” Lupin agreed. “But the screams that people used to hear weren’t violent ghosts, they were me.  It was me attacking myself since I had no other source of prey.  That was before my friends were able to join me. Now in our fifth year, once they were able to complete their transformations they joined me here in the Shrieking Shack.  Being in their presence calmed my mind.

“It wasn’t long before we out the beast’s energy to use.  We explored the castle and grounds on the full moon.  I’m certain no one has come to know Hogwarts as well as the four of us.  We used this knowledge to create the Marauder’s Map.  We even signed it with our nicknames. I was Moony, Sirius was Padfoot, Peter was Wormtail…”

“My dad was Prongs,” Harry finished.

“Yes,” Black and Lupin agreed.  “After graduation, we all joined the Order of the Phoenix, fighting against Voldemort.  But we were betrayed.”

“By him,” Harry said once more pointing at Black.

Snape lifted the cloak, revealing himself to the ensemble.

“Severus,” Lupin said surprised.  “How did you know we were here?”

“I came to bring you your potion this evening when I saw you left your map open on your desk.  I saw you rushing to join Potter.  And now I have proof for what I have been saying. I repeatedly told Dumbledore you couldn’t be trusted.”

“Same as always, Snivellus. Has all the facts and draws the wrong conclusion,” Black goaded.  “Why don’t you go back to your dungeon and play with your chemistry set?”

“Sir,” Harry said stepping closer to the Potions Master.  “I want to hear what they have to say.”

“They’re lying, Potter.  They’re both mad.  Pettigrew is dead.”  Snape said dismissing him.

“Oh yes, you would know,” Black needled.  “You were the one kissing Voldemort’s boots, one of his little Death Eaters.”

Harry, Hermione, and Neville gasped in surprise.  They had heard a few times that Neville’s gran didn’t trust Snape, but they always thought it was only a rumor Snape was a Death Eater.  This was the first time they had ever heard someone make the accusation directly.

“Yes, like your dear little brother,” Snape snapped back. “How did it work out for poor little Regulus?”

Black lunged toward Snape but Harry jumped between them.

“This scum...” Black began.

“I’m not the one that betrayed Lily and Potter,” Snape hissed.

“Neither did I,” Black replied.

“Then who did?” Snape demanded.

“It was Peter,” Black told them.

“Sirius, you’ll have to explain.  Even I don’t understand this part.”

“Lily and James wanted to make me Secret Keeper,” Sirius reminded them. “I was to go into hiding as well.  But at the last minute, I begged Lily and James to pick someone else.  I begged them to make Peter the Secret-Keeper instead.  I never thought he would betray them.  Who would ever suspect poor, talentless Peter?  Then I heard of the attacks.”

“And you killed Pettigrew the day after the Potters were killed,” Snape continued.

“I wanted to,” Black admitted.  “I tried, but he got away from me.  Not before he started yelling for the whole street to hear how I betrayed Lily and James.  He blew the street half apart.  He must have transformed.”

“They found parts of him,” Snape countered.

“A finger, Snape.  Look at the rat, it’s missing a toe,” Sirius pointed out.  

The Potion Master stepped closer to Neville.  “Let me see the rat, boy.”

Remus said with an exasperated sigh, “Here Neville, hand me that rat.”

Neville did so reluctantly.  It squirmed and fought even harder in the werewolf’s hands, clearly distressed. “If the rat is who we think it is, this won’t hurt him.  If he’s not, if he’s not just Scabbers, this spell will show us who he truly is.  Severus, if you would be so kind as to help me.”

Snape gave a terse nod.  

“On the count of three?” Lupin purposed to receive another nod. “One… Two… Three…”

The teens watched spellbound as the professors cast their charm.  At first, it didn’t seem to do anything, then suddenly, the rat’s small body began to expand.  The body lengthened and stretched wider, the features still rodent-like, but clearly a human face and body.

“It’s true,” Snape said stunned.

“What you don’t know who else are under those robes?  Too busy kissing Voldemort’s boots?” Sirius said to Snape.

Snape glared at Black in response.

“Remus… Sirius…my old friends…” Pettigrew stammered finally gather enough wits to speak.

“Shut up,” Black snapped.

Pettigrew flinched away from the convict.

“Hello Peter,” Lupin said more civilly than Harry could have managed.  

“Remus…” Pettigrew stammered.  “You have to protect me.  Sirius… he wants to kill me…”

“And I will,” Black promised.

Lupin glared at his friend, “That’s not going to help, Sirius.”

Black only shrugged in response.  

“So good of you to join us, Peter.  Sirius won’t hurt you...yet.  We all have some questions we would like to have answered before that happens,” Lupin said lightly.  

Pettigrew whimpered in fear.  

“Was that really the best thing for you to say, Lupin?” Snape asked ignoring the cowering man in the corner.

“Really Severus?” Lupin asked frowning, “I thought you were a fan of the direct approach?”

“When dealing with misbehaving students perhaps.  When trying to retrieve information from traitors and cowards, I find a more subtle approach tends to work better.”  Snape said coolly.  

“Have a lot of experience with that, Snivellus?” Black said glaring at the Potions Master once again.   

“Professor,” Hermione asked nervously.

Snape and Lupin both looked at the girl expectantly.  

“Well, this man, Peter, if he wanted to hurt Harry, why hasn’t he done it over the last three years.  He’s been sleeping in Harry’s dormitory the whole time.  Harry’s even spent time at the Weasleys during the summer.  He could have acted at any time.”

“Yes,” Pettigrew squeaked, “Exactly. Clever girl.”

“He’s a coward,” growled Black.

“Sirius,” Lupin chided.  

“It’s the truth, Remus.  The little traitor didn’t come forward because he wasn’t going to stick his neck out.  Why do you think he found a wizard family to live with for the last twelve years?  So he could make a move if he heard anything about his little Death Eater buddies.”

“Not true,” Pettigrew mumbled.

“Not true,” Black growled, “Who else could it have been?  You were the Secret Keeper! You turned Lily and James over to Voldemort! For what?”

“What else could I do,” Pettigrew moaned.  “He would have killed me.”

“Then you should have died!  Like James and Lily would have done for us.” Black snapped.

Remus sighed, “He’s right, Peter.  You should have realized, if Voldemort didn’t kill you, we would.”

In an awkward silent exchange, Snape handed his wand to the escaped convict.

“NOOOO!!!!,” Pettigrew pleaded.

Remus raised his wand, Black held Snape’s black wand in his hand, testing the feel of it.

“Wait!” Harry said stepping forward.

“Harry, this scum is the reason you don’t have parents,” Black reminded him.

“I know,” Harry said looking at the trembling coward.  “But I figure my dad wouldn’t want his two best friends to become killers for this rat.”

“Thank you, thank you,” Pettigrew said throwing himself at Harry.

Black kicked him back.  “Don’t you dare touch that boy!”

“Potter has a point,” Snape said speaking up once more.  “Killing Pettigrew, though I am sure would feel good, but would accomplish little in terms of the Ministry.  I doubt you wish to spend the rest of your life on the run, Black.”  

“We should take him to the castle,” Hermione said.  “They can’t continue to hold Mr. Black for a murder if they have the victim.”

“My point exactly Miss. Granger,” Snape said smoothly.  

“Five points to Gryffindor,” Lupin joked, only to receive a glare from Snape.

Lupin grinned shyly, “It’s a reflex.”

Snape rolled his eyes.  Harry and his fellow students watched the exchange bemused.  They had never seen either of their professors behave in such a manner.

“We need to get Peter back to the castle,” Lupin observed.    

Incarcerous,” Snape said lazily, thick ropes bound and gagged Pettigrew in an instant.

“Peter,” Lupin said his words deadly serious, “If you try to escape this time, we will kill you. That okay, Harry?” The boy in question nodded before the werewolf turned to the other boy.  “Neville, I’m not as good as healing spells as Madam Pomfrey, I’ll bind until we can get to see her,” Lupin said coming inspect the boy still laying on the bed.

“Okay,” Neville said as he watched bandages wrap themselves tightly around his injured leg.  “Thanks.”

“I’m sorry I hurt you,” Black said giving Neville a hand up to his feet.  “I was going for the rat.”

“It’s okay,” Neville said with a shrug, “I’ve been hurt a lot worse than that.”

“Remus said your grandmother’s name is Augusta.  That wouldn’t be Augusta Longbottom would it?” Black asked.

“Yeah, she is.  Do you know her?” Neville asked standing a bit unsteadily.  

“Only a little, I knew your dad.  He was a couple years ahead of us at Hogwarts.  He put me and James in detention more times than I care to remember,” Black said with a soft chuckle.  “I was sorry to hear about what happened to Frank and Alice.  That is a fate worse than death.”

“Get moving Black, we haven’t got all night,” Snape prodded.

“Come on,” Black said helping Neville lean on him as they made their way out the door.  Neville almost tripped as Crookshanks came around in front of them on the stairs.  They were followed by Harry and Hermione and Snape.  At the end of the group came Lupin hovering the still bound Pettigrew. They made their way down the tunnel Sirius fell back so he was just ahead of Harry.  

“Harry, I didn’t get a chance to say this before, but before your parents died they named me your guardian.  Now that my name will be cleared, you could come and live with me.” Black said too afraid to look the boy in the eyes.

“Come and live with you?” Harry asked shocked.

“I can understand if you don’t want to leave your aunt and uncle’s…” Black began.

“You mean leave the Dursleys?” Harry said excitedly.  “Do you have a house?  When can I move in?”

“You want to come?” Black asked.

“Of course,” Harry agreed.  

“You can come as soon as the term ends then,” Black said the grin on his face was unrecognizable compared to the manic expression that adorned his face before.

“Great,” Harry said, the hope of change overwhelming him.

They completed the crawl down the tunnel in silence.  Harry desperately tried to contain his excitement.  His thoughts raced about what leaving the Dursleys would be like.  He would never have to deal with Dudley again.  Aunt Petunia couldn’t force him to do all the chores.  Uncle Vernon wouldn’t always yell at him to get a haircut.  Better than all of that though, it would be wonderful to have a real place to call home.  A place where he could go and people would actually look forward to his company, something he had never had before.

The strange line of people made their way out of the tunnel.  It was full dark now it would have been hard to navigate the grounds if it were not for the moonlight breaking through the clouds. The moon was full!

Lupin stopped in his tracks his body going rigid.  

“He didn’t take his potion,” Hermione whispered.

“Get back,” Snape ordered.  He pushed the children behind him. Pettigrew fell to the ground as Snape moved to cast whatever spell they might need.
Black changed into the great black dog as Lupin’s features began to lengthen and contort.  His skin erupted into a thick coat of brown fur.  Neville tried to back away from the wolf but tripped over the lump that was Pettigrew.  

“Professor,” Neville cried weakly.

Pettigrew must have transformed to escape his bonds because he now stood behind Neville, the boy’s own wand pointed at his throat.  Snape looked from the menacing werewolf to the boy held at wand point.  

“Potter, Granger, be prepared to run,” Snape said his voice calm as ever.  

Harry and Hermione nodded silently.  Harry pulled Hermione back with him as he slowly backed away as the werewolf padded closer, his sharp teeth exposed, snarling.  He moved closer but was tackled by Black’s great black dog form.  The two began to fight as Snape cast his first spell at Pettigrew.  The man successfully used Neville as a shield.  Pettigrew threw the dead weight of the now unconscious boy to the ground.

The dog and wolf continued to wrestle on the ground biting and scratching.  They broke apart when a spell cast by Pettigrew grazed them.  The wolf ran off to the woods, Snape lay on the ground a wound to his head, not from a spell, but tripping over the uneven surface.  Pettigrew, disarmed at least, had transformed once more and disappeared into the grounds.  Then the cold came.  

“Oh no,” Harry breathed, “It’s Dementors. Sirius run!”

The dog ran off toward the lake, Harry left Hermione left to look after Professor Snape and Neville.  He ran after the dog finding him back huddled in his human form again, sobbing on the lake shore.  The Dementors began to swarm.  Sirius sobbed Harry as they approached.
Harry fought back the screaming.  Sirius was going to be okay. He was going to be fine, Harry was going to live with him. There was the high cold laugh.  “Please, not Harry.” Harry shook his head trying to clear it. “Expecto… Expecto… Expecto Patr... onum…” He shook his head again, “Expecto Patronum!” This time something emerged from his wand, a small shapeless thing.  The Dementor pushed it away without a second thought.  It picked Harry up with one hand, as if he weighed no more than a feather, with the other it lowered its hood.  The face like its hand was dark, rotten looking flesh. There was no proper mouth, just a gaping hole.  Harry would have screamed, but he didn’t have the strength.

A brilliant light came charging at Harry, the Dementor let him go. He hit the ground hard.  There it was, a brilliant silver doe chasing all of the Dementors away.  In its silver light, Harry could make just make out another person across the lake shore.  But it was impossible, it couldn’t be.  His dad was dead, James Potter couldn’t be standing by the lake.  Harry lifted his head to look again, then everything went black…       

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

“That can’t be Dumbledore,” a weary voice said.  

“I assure you it is true, Minister,” Dumbledore said.  

Harry lifted his groggy head. He reached out a hand feeling for his glasses, with them on he could make out the familiar surroundings of the Hospital Wing.  Hermione lay in the bed across from Harry, Neville was still unconscious in the bed next to her.  He didn’t see Sirius, or Professor Snape anywhere though.

“I was there, Minister.  What the Headmaster says occurred did.”  Harry heard locating the voices at the far end of the ward.

“Ahhh, you’re awake,” Madam Pomfrey said bustling around Harry’s bed.  She placed a cool hand on his cold and clammy forehead, looking into his eyes.

“I need to speak with Professor Dumbledore,” Harry said, but he couldn’t continue as the nurse stuck a thermometer in his mouth.  

“But Madam Pomfrey,” Hermione protested getting the same treatment now.

“Dumbledore, they’re children,” Fudge complained.  “They need their rest.”

“Yes,” Madam Pomfrey agreed as she carried over the biggest block of chocolate Harry had ever seen.  She took a small hammer and chisel and started breaking off bits for her patients.  

“Madam Pomfrey, I must insist on having a word with Miss. Granger and Mr. Potter,” Dumbledore said watching as the matron forced huge chunks of chocolate on Harry and Hermione.  

“Sirius didn’t do it,” Harry said around a mouthful of the sweet.

“Pettigrew was there in Shrieking Shack,” Hermione insisted.

Dumbledore held up his hand to silence them.  “You must listen, the Minister has Sirius in the Charms classroom, on the third floor the seventh from the right.  The Minister has summoned the Dementors are coming to perform the Kiss.  There isn’t enough time.  Do you understand Miss Granger,” Dumbledore asked.  

Hermione was already up and out of bed and pulling something from under her robes, “Yes sir.”

“You know the laws, Miss. Granger.  If you do this right, you can save more than one life tonight.  I’m going to lock you in.  It’s ten minutes to midnight.  Miss. Granger, three turns should do it,” Dumbledore said before shutting the door.

“Come on, Harry,” Hermione said pulling him out of bed.

“Hermione, what’s going on? What did he mean three turns,” Harry demanded confusedly as Hermione threw a gold chain over his head.  “What’s that?” He said raising a hand to the charm that Hermione was carefully spinning.  She smacked him away.

Harry stood by fascinated as the world around them seemed to play in reverse.  “What just happened?”

“We went back in time,” Hermione said flatly.  “We’re three hours in the past, where were we then?”

Harry frowned.  

“Come on, Harry, where were we?”

“I don’t know, heading down to Hagrid’s?” Harry said, shrugging.

Hermione grabbed his wrist, “We need to get back down there, but we can’t be seen.”

“Uh okay,” Harry said following Hermione out of the Hospital Wing and down the stairs.

Hermione held him back as they reached the entrance hall, “Wait.” There was the sound of slowly shifting feet.  “Yes, that’s us leaving under the Invisibility Cloak.” She waited until the door closed once more.  “Let’s go now.”

“What’s going on?” Harry demanded.

“We’re back in time, but I don’t understand why now.  Two lives, what did Professor Dumbledore mean?” Hermione asked. “We were going down to Hagrid’s….”

“Buckbeak,” Harry said.  “We were going down to visit Hagrid before they killed Buckbeak.  Do you think he wants us to save Buckbeak?”

Hermione smacked her forehead, “Of course.”

The pair ran down the grounds, instead of crossing straight down the lawn like they did before they crossed by the greenhouses and on the edge of the forest.  The two were finally down to the hut.  

“Harry,” Hermione said taking a seat in the woods behind the cabin.  Harry looked back to his friend. “I don’t know how we’re supposed to do this?”

“We untie Buckbeak and then use him to free Sirius and they escape together,” Harry said finally.  

“I know that,” Hermione sighed, “but Harry, there’s all sorts of history filled with wizards who went back in time and tried to change things. Sometimes they killed their future selves because they didn’t understand what was happening.”

“We’ll be careful, Hermione,”  Harry promised.  “We need to untie Buckbeak.”

“Not yet, we have to wait until the Ministry officials see  him, or they’ll think Hagrid let him go.”  The two waited anxiously for the time to pass.  The backdoor opened and Buckbeak tossed his head sensing the presence of the three under the cloak.  There were voices in the cabin. They saw the ancient wizard look out to see that Buckbeak was tied up outside.

“Now,” Harry said.  He carefully repeated all the steps Hagrid taught them on how to handle the hippogriff.  When the creature sunk to his knees he was able to get him untied.  Harry lead him into the woods.  Dumbledore and the Ministry officials came out to find nothing.  The Minister wanted to organize the search of the grounds, but Dumbledore pointed out that it would be pointless with an animal that can fly.  ‘

Harry and Hermione moved closer to the tunnel so they can see when they emerged hours later.  They sat there in uncomfortable silence to for long moments before Harry finally broke it.  

“Hermione,” Harry said uneasily.  

“What Harry,” she said as Buckbeak dug at the ground looking for worms.

“I know this is impossible, but I think I saw my dad tonight,”  Harry said not looking at his friend.

“Harry, I’m sorry...But Harry, your dad is dead.” Hermione said sadly.

“I know,” Harry said.  “But I saw him across the lake when those Dementors were all around us he was across the lake from us.  He’s the one that made them all go away.”

“Harry…” Hermione said softly.

Harry sighed, “Fine, I know.”  

The silence returned as Harry gave up arguing with Hermione.  They had to move again when the wolf would have come running right at them.  Harry slipped away when they moved, leaving Hermione with Buckbeak. He ran to the lake trying, waiting to see his dad.  The Dementors were swarming. He was going to be Kissed.  Then it hit him, he was the one that cast the spell.

“Expecto Patronum!” Harry cried as the silver stag erupted from his wand chasing all the  Dementors away.

“Oh my! What did you do Harry!” Hermione yelled running toward Harry as she dragged a reluctant Buckbeak behind her.

“It’s fine, Hermione.” He reassured her.  “It was me, not my dad.  I knew I could do it this time since I already did it.”

The two watched as Professor Dumbledore came back up the grounds from Hagrid’s.  He conjured stretchers and carried the four unconscious people up to the castle Hermione following timidly behind him.  They saw a silver bird, possibly a Patronus sore over the grounds and down toward the village.  They watched as Fudge returned to the castle several minutes later.  We need to get moving.”

“Okay,” Harry said climbing aboard the back of the hippogriff.  He put his hand out down for Hermione to climb on behind him. Harry put his heels and Buckbeak took off.  

“I really don’t like this,” Hermione said squeezing tightly around Harry’s middle.  

“I know,” Harry said trying to count windows.  They stopped in front of the right window,  Buckbeak raising and lowering by several feet to the beating of his great wings.  Hermione removed her wand and magically unlocked the window.

“What’s going on?”  Sirius asked.  

“Get on,” Harry encouraged.  

The three of them flew up to the top of the Astronomy Tower.  Harry and Hermione slid off the hippogriff’s back.  “We have ten minutes, Harry.”

Harry nodded.  

“Hermione,” Sirius said in a low voice, “You really are the cleverest witch of your age.”

Hermione smiled shyly.     

“Harry, you really are your father’s son,”   Sirius said pulling the boy into a hug.  “We’ll see each other again.  Don’t worry.”

Harry nodded.  

“Harry, we’ve got to go,” Hermione said tugging on Harry’s sleeve.  Harry watch and his godfather flew off on the back of the fugitive hippogriff.   They arrived at the doors to the Hospital Wing breathless just as Dumbledore was locking them.

“Did you do it?” Dumbledore asked.  

“Sirius just left on Buckbeak,” Harry said.

Dumbledore listened to the door for a moment, “Yes, I think you’ve gone.”  He opened the door again, letting Harry and Hermione returned to their beds.  

They slipped under the covers and didn’t care when an annoyed rather Madam Pomfrey shoveled chocolate on them.  The Minister of Magic came down a little while later to inform Harry he was very sorry that Black had somehow managed to escape.  He also informed Harry that Dumbledore would no longer allow the Dementors to be stationed around the school. The Minister hoped Harry didn’t blame him for any of these mistakes.  Harry just shrugged it off.  

Madam Pomfrey released the three of them from the Hospital Wing the next day after lunch.  They headed out to the grounds to enjoy the early summer weather.  

“Hello Hagrid,” Harry said as the giant’s shadow fell over the three as they sat on the lake shore, beside the oak tree they rest under the day before.

“Yeh heard abou’ Buckbeak?” Hagrid said, his grin barely contained the grin on his scruffy face.

“No,” Harry said trying to sound innocent.

“He escaped,” Hagrid said proudly.  “I always knew he was a clear hippogriff.  He escaped under the Ministry’s nose.  He was there one minute and gone before McNair could chop his head off.”

“Wow,” Hermione said trying to feign surprise. “How could he have done that?”

“I dunno, he mustn’ta tied him up well enough,” Hagrid said.  “I was just going to take this up to Professor Lupin before he leaves.”

“Where’s he going?” Harry asked sitting up.

“Dunno, but he resigned this mornin’ didn’ he?” Hagrid said with a shrug.

“What!” All three of the Gryffindors exclaimed.

“He gave his letter to Professor Dumbledore this mornin’.  O’ course he didn’ have much choice with not takin’ his potion last night.  Didn’ want to put the students in more danger,” Hagrid said, but then stopped.  “I shouldn’ta said that. I shouldn’ta said that.”

“When’s he leaving?” Harry asked.

“Right soon, I expect.”

“I’m going to go up and see him,”  Harry said getting to his feet.

“Do you want us to come?” Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head.

“Okay,” Neville said, “we’ll be here when you’re done.”

“Thanks, guy,” Harry said sprinting off to the castle.

“Hello Harry,” Lupin greeted him a few moments later, not even looking at the door as Harry entered.

“How did you…” Harry began.

“I saw you coming,” Lupin said gesturing to the map laid open on his desk.

“Right,” Harry acknowledged with a sheepish grin.  “Hagrid said you’re leaving.”

“Yes,” Lupin said.

“Why you’re the best Defense professor we’ve ever had,” Harry argued.

Lupin shook his head.  “I put you all in danger last night.  We were incredibly lucky that none of you were hurt or worse last night.  No, I can’t put you in that sort of danger again.”

Harry shook his head.

“How about you tell me about your Patronus?”  Lupin said trying to raise the boy’s spirits.

“Dumbledore?” Harry asked.

“Who else?” Lupin said.

Harry recounted the entire encounter from the time Remus ran into the woods.  Harry described the doe Patronus in great detail.

“It’s interesting.  James was always a stag when he transformed, his Patronus as well." Lupin said with a sad smile. “It was your mother’s Patronus that was a doe.”

“Lupin, the headmaster wishes you to know your carriage is here,” Snape said coming into the room.

“Thank you, Severus,” Lupin said with a nod. He placed one last thing in his case before closing the lid on the worn leather case. He looked around the room once more, “I think that’s everything.” He stepped closer to Harry, “It was great getting to know you over this year, Harry.  You truly are James and Lily’s, son.”  He then pulled the boy into a tight embrace.

“Thanks, sir,” Harry said as they broke apart.

“Call me, Remus.  I’m not your professor any longer,” Remus said clapping a hand on his shoulder.

“Okay,” Harry agreed.  “Do you want any help carrying your stuff down?”

Remus shook his head.  “I’ll only take a few things with me.  The others will be sent on in a few days.”

Harry nodded as he watched his former professor collect his battered briefcase in one hand and slip the tank that once held the grindylow under the other.

“Severus,” Remus said politely as he departed.  The Potions Master holding the door open for his departing colleague.

Harry watched the ex-Defense instructor leave, his spirits that had been high since Sirius’ successful escape falling through the floor.

“What’s the matter, Potter?” Snape said taking in the features of the disheartened boy.

“Everything we did last night doesn’t matter,” Harry sulked.

“I would tend to disagree,” Snape said after a moment.

“I’m still stuck leaving with the Dursleys, everyone still thinks Sirius killed all those people and has to stay in hiding and…and Pettigrew got away and he’s going to go off and join Voldemort.” Harry finally concluded.

“Yes,” Snape agreed. “That is all true.  But you saved two lives last night, Harry.  If it were not to the Headmaster sending you and Granger back both Black and the hippogriff would have lost their lives for little reason.  And even if Black had been acquitted, there was no way the Professor Dumbledore would have allowed to live with him.” Snape said observing the downtrodden teen.

Harry looked up at the man, his head cocked to one side.  “Why not?  He’s my godfather.”

“Preciously,” Snape said, “Black is not a blood relative.  Therefore, living with him will not offer you the protection residing with Petunia does.  You must call Privet Drive home, at least until you come of age.”

“That’s not home,” Harry countered, “It has never been.  Hogwarts was the first home I’ve ever.”   

“You are not the only one to call this castle home, Harry,” Snape said. “I know how unpleasant it can be to have to go back to a home where you are unwanted.  But you have an advantage I never had.”

Harry’s head shot up surprised, “What’s that?”

“I will leave that to you to figure out,” Snape said snarkily.  “Even a foolhardy Gryffindor should be able to come to the logical conclusion.”

With that, he turned on his heel and left the confused teen standing an almost bare classroom.

It was the last morning of the term.  The Gryffindors had stayed up late celebrating their winning of the House Cup once again.  The train would be leaving for London in a few short hours, students were drifting in to eat breakfast while others finished collecting and packing their belongings.  Harry and Neville had finished their packing before coming down to breakfast.  They were sitting at the Gryffindor table playing a game of chess as Hedwig came floating down from the high windows in the Great Hall.

“Hi girl,” Harry said running a hand down her chest feathers.


“Who’s that from?” Neville asked.


“I’m not sure,” Harry said handing a scrap of bacon to the owl.  Harry tore open the envelope and moved a note along with a familiar piece of parchment.  

The note read:

     
 Harry,

I didn’t think Severus would appreciate me giving this to you in front of him.  Still, as I am no longer your teacher, I feel no guilt returning this to you.  Put it to good use and try not to let Severus know you have it back. You would make your parents proud.

Until we see each other again,
Remus


There was a smaller envelope tucked inside the envelope with the map.  Harry opened it curiously.


          
Harry,


I’m sorry I never got to tell you that I was the one to send you the Firebolt at Christmas.  I ordered it and told them to withdraw the gold from my vault.  I never meant to frighten you that night in Surrey or during your game.  I only wished to see you.  You fly just like your father.

Sirius

 

“Hermione is never going to let you forget she was right about that,” Neville said moving his knight to check Harry’s king.

Harry shrugged but knew his friend was probably right. There was a second note as well.


I, Sirius Black, being Harry’s godfather do hereby grant him permission to visit the village of Hogsmeade on designated weekends,
Sirius Black

 

“Do you think that will work?”  Neville asked.

Harry grinned, “It’ll probably good enough for Dumbledore.  I don’t think Snape will like it too much though.”

The train ride back to London was uneventful Fred and George stopped by and all of them discussing their plans for the summer.  Hermione’s family was going to spend a week in Majorca.  Neville was off to see his Great Uncle Algie and Great Aunt Enid for several weeks.  Harry was certain the Dursleys didn’t have anything exciting plan, and if they did, he wasn’t going. Fred and George hoped their dad could be able to get tickets for the Quidditch Cup that summer if he did they would make sure he could ones of Harry and Hermione.  Neville said not to bother, there was no way his gran would let him go.

The closer they train got to London the quitter Harry got.

“Are you alright mate?” George asked.

“Fine,” Harry said unconvincingly.

Hermione waited until the twins left to ask, “Are you sure you’re alright?”

“I’m fine,” Harry reassured.  “I’m just worried about Sirius.”

Hermione nodded.  “I’m sure he’s fine.”

“At least now you know he’s not trying to kill you,” Neville pointed out.

“Right,” Harry agreed, “but the Dursleys don’t.”

Neville and Hermione looked at each other.

“Harry,” Hermione asked.

A wicked grin spread across Harry’s face, “Don’t worry Hermione, I won’t do anything against the rules.  My aunt and uncle might just be surprised to hear I have a godfather that’s a convicted murder.”  Then added to himself, “That’s what Snape meant.”

Harry was expecting his family to be surprised by the news of him having a godfather.  It was nothing to rival Harry’s own as Sirius and Remus stood on Platform Nine and Three-Quarters waiting for Harry to arrive.

“What are you doing here?” Harry demanded as Sirius pulled him into a hug.  “What about the Ministry aren’t they still looking for you?”  

“I’ve been cleared.  With what you, Remus, Dumbledore and even Snivellus had to say convinced Fudge to let me off,” Sirius explained.

“Really?” Harry asked.  

“Yep,” Sirius confirmed. “Even Fudge couldn’t argue against that amount of testimony.”

"But Professor Snape..." Harry began.  
Sirius dismissed the concern with a wave of his hand. "Don't worry about it, Harry.  Snivellus doesn't know what he's talking about." 

Harry’s goodbyes to his family were short, but not very sweet.  Uncle Vernon said something along the lines, “Good riddance to bad rubbish.”  Aunt Petunia only shook Harry’s hand stiffly.  With this sort of greeting at the station, this summer looked like it was going to be much better than the last.  It was easy to push aside the worry and fear Pettigrew’s escape might mean… at least for a little while.