Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Fall 1997

Harry flipped ideally through the pages of the copy of Hogwarts A History  Hermione had lent him to read as she studied The Tales of Beedle the Bard yet again. "Is there something specific I should be looking for?" Harry asked as his eyes danced away from the text for what had to have been the hundredth time in the last half hour.

"Anything about Godric Gryffindor or his sword," Hermione said, her eyes never leaving the book in front of her.

Harry sighed and went back to reading as she flipped further into the text. His eyes fell on a promising passage. "The sword of Godric Gryffindor is believed to have been forged by the well-known goblin armorer, Gooblidin the Bloody in 890 AD. The wizard is reported to have paid the goblin over a thousand Galleons for the commission of the sword. It took the goblin over a year to craft it."

Harry got Hermione's attention, reading her the section he had just read to himself.  Hermione hummed in consideration of the new information.

"Is there something important there," Harry asked as he read the information once again.

"Perhaps," Hermione agreed. "The sword is goblin made. The sword will only take in what will make it stronger. It will have been impregnated with basilisk venom from what happened down in the Chamber of Secrets." Harry nodded along in agreement as Hermione continued to speak, even if it was mostly to herself. "That must be why Dumbledore left it to Neville."

"Why's that," Harry asked, hoping she didn't think it was a foolish question.

"From everything I've read there are very few ways to destroy a Horcrux," Hermione explained. "The piece of soul is dependent on the survival of the container to preserve its continued existence. It will resist its destruction." Harry recalled the way the memory of Tom Riddle from the diary had tried to kill him when he was twelve years old. "The Horcrux must be damaged beyond repair for the Horcrux to be completely destroyed basilisk venom is one of the few ways to do this as it only has one antidote."

"Phoenix tears," Harry said running a hand over where the basilisk fang once penetrated his arm. "Well, that makes some sense to why he left Neville the sword.  He would have assumed he would be with us on this hunt."

"Indeed," agreed Hermione.

"It's ready," Fred announced that evening after dinner.

"Are you sure?" asked Hermione looking up from the copy of Beedle the Bard that lay across her lap.

"You don't trust us?" George said clearly offended.

"I do," Hermione insisted.

George crossed his arms over his chest.

"You two have made new potions. That's something I would never dare to do," Hermione explained.

"We stuck to the recipe," Fred told her.

Harry didn't miss how her shoulders relaxed a fraction at the statement. Harry hadn't offered the twins the use of Snape's old potions text. The twins were still angry at the Potions Master for the death of Dumbledore. He feared what they might do with one of his possession if given the opportunity.

"When do we go," Harry asked anxiously. They had been trapped in Grimmauld Place for nearly a month.  The few hours of escape under the Invisibility Cloak watching the entrance to the Ministry doing little to relieve Harry's restlessness.

"I want to check the potions supplies before we try anything," Hermione said putting her book away.

"I am overwhelmed in your confidence in us, Hermione," Fred remarked.

"It's more than the Felix.  I want to make sure we have enough Polyjuice, healing potions if something goes wrong," Hermione said distractedly. Harry could almost see the mental list she was ticking off in her mind.

Fred turned to his twin, "If I didn't know any better, I would say our Hermione is scared."

"Yes," Hermione admitted. "We are going to break into the Ministry of Magic, Fred. Do you have any idea what could happen if this goes poorly?"

"We could die," Fred said calmly. There was not a single trace of humor or a joke accompanying the statement. "It's war, Hermione. If you want to stay safe, go and hide in the Muggle world with your parents. I plan to fight."

"I didn't say I didn't want to fight," Hermione snapped back at the boy. "I want to be smart about this. There is no reason to put yourselves in unnecessary danger."

"What do you suggest we do?" Harry asked.

"Test the potions before we use them for the break in," Hermione said instantly.

"Test them, like we try sneaking in twice?" Harry asked unsure what his friend meant.

"Possibly," Hermione agreed.

"Do you think that's a good idea?" Harry asked. "Slughorn said it was a bad idea to abuse Felix it can lead to giddiness and reckless behavior."

"I don't plan to abuse it, Harry,"  Hermione said defensively.

"You have no idea how this might play out Hermione," Harry said with a shake of his head. He had given the remainder of his vial of the potion to his friends before he left with Dumbledore for the cave. The potion may have saved the lives of his friends. That was a bit different than when Harry had used it to get the memories from Slughorn. Harry hadn't really understood what lead him to make the choices he did under its influence. He would never have gone to the greenhouses hoping to run into the Potions professor.

"What if Fred and I test them, not breaking into the Ministry, something a little..." George drifted off uncertainly.

"Less likely to get us killed," Fred finished.

"And what would you suggest?" Demanded a now clearly irritated Hermione.

"Hogsmeade," Harry interjected cutting of whatever George was going to snap back.

"What could they possibly accomplish in Hogsmeade?" Hermione asked Harry.

Harry shrugged. "The professors go down to the village. Maybe we could learn what's happening in the school. Or maybe they'll be able to see Neville, or Ginny, or..."

"Luna," finished Hermione for him. "Harry, we all have people we would like to see."

"Have you got a better suggestion," asked George as he spun his wand idly through his fingers.

Hermione sighed, "I haven't but it seems like a waste of perfectly good potion."

"That's the thing, we don't know if it is a perfectly good potion," George reminded her. "If we did it right, maybe we get a bit of information that helps us in the long run. If we bullocked it up, well, me and Fred wasted six months of our lives..."

"Fine," conceded Hermione. "You two can take a sample and see what you can get from a visit to Hogsmeade."

Fred had an unexpected wicked grin on his face. "I'm sure you won't regret this Hermione."

"I'm sure," Hermione agreed with absolutely no confidence.

The twins decided they would take a small dose enough for a couple of hours of luck the following evening so that if professors were visiting the village it would be after they finished with classes for the day. They spent much of the morning talking about where the other Horcruxes might be. Could they be in the orphanage You-Know-Who grew up in? Perhaps it was in Albania where he spent much of his time in exile hiding?

The afternoon was spent in their usual time working on practical defensive magic. Harry still on occasion had problems with his nonverbal spells when he was angry or frustrated.  Hermione's continued scolding did little to improve his temper or skill. He was glad the twins leaving gave him an excuse to take a go upstairs, away from the girl. He was in his room trying to make headway in David Copperfield, a book that he hadn’t remember leaving on the nightstand when they were here when it was the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. Try as he might, he could not get his brain to take in the misfortunes of Mr. Micawber and his family.

“Harry," Hermione called.

Harry rolled over, he must have fallen asleep. He had been walking down the lane of a small village somewhere on the continent. There were mountains that were most certainly not in Britain. Voldemort was looking for something. The woman hadn't had it and didn't know where it or the person might be. Harry had woken to a flash of green light.

"Harry are you alright," Hermione asked more gently this time. She stood by the edge of his bed, pushing back the sweat damp fringe on his forehead.

"I'm fine," Harry said pushing her hand away.

"You don't look it," Hermione said taking in his pale, sweaty features. "You were screaming in your sleep. Was it one of your nightmares?"

Harry shook his head.

"Harry," Hermione pleaded, "you can tell me."

"Just leave it," Harry grumbled.

"Harry," Hermione said again.

Harry sat up, luckily the world didn't spin too badly as he threw his feet over the side of the bed. "Why did you come in here? Was it because of the screaming?"

"No," Hermione said softly with a shake of her head. "They're back."

"Why didn't you say something before," Harry demanded.

"You didn't look well," Hermione said softly.

Harry ignored her worried look and made for the door. It was only when he was in the hall that he noticed she wasn't following behind him.

"You coming?" Harry called back to her.

"Are we going to discuss what happened to you?" Hermione asked.

"It was nothing Hermione," Harry dismissed.

Hermione crossed her arms over her chest.

Harry sighed, "We can talk about it later. Right now let's see what Fred and George were able to get. Those two aren't exactly known for their patience." Harry added as further incentive to get moving.

Hermione followed him this time. The twins were sitting across from one another at the dinner table in identical positions, their feet on the surface of the table, chairs leaning on their back legs. Each twin had a bottle of butterbeer in their hand. Harry took in the triumphant looks on the identical faces, they must have learned something good.

"Well," Harry demanded.

"Well what," Fred said taking a lazy sip of his butterbeer.

"What did you learn?" Harry said with a great indignant huff.  

"Learn," Fred repeated. "Learned that Dolohov does not have the head to pull off the bald look."

George laughed out loud at the statement.

"You used Felix Felicis to play a practical joke!" Hermione looked as if she were on the verge of hexing the both of them.

"Keep your knickers on," George reassured. "That was only a bit of fun after. You can blame it on the remaining effects of the potion if you want."

Hermione was still too angry to speak so Harry asked, "After? After what?"

"This," Fred said pulling something from his trousers’ pocket. The front feet of his dining room chair came back to the ground with a crash as he placed the locket on the gold chain in the center of the table.

Hermione gasped. "That's the locket, the real locket. How in the name of Merlin did you get that?"

George gave her a cocky grin, "We got lucky. We decided that we take our sample of potion right there in the shop. Diagon Alley is almost deserted nowadays but you never know who might be stopping into Gringotts."

"Or Knockturn Alley more like," Fred added.

"Guys," Harry prodded.

"Well, we took our sample of potion and who do we see walk by the door to your humble shop than none other than the Deputy Minister of Magic and Head of Muggle-Born Registration Commission,” explained George.

"Umbridge," Hermione breathed. "What was she doing in Diagon Alley?"

"Who knows," said Fred, "Who cares," said George.

"What's important is what happened next," Fred continued. "How could we not follow such an upstanding citizen of the community of wizarding Britain, especially as she seemed to be heading straight for Knockturn Alley. Perhaps she was lost and there are sure disreputable characters down that street. We thought we owed her some useful guidance."

"What do you know, she wasn't too pleased to see us," George said almost sadly. "She tried to pull her wand on us but Fred Disarmed before her wand was out of her pocket. We Stunned her, swapped the necklace for one transfigured out of one of my old socks. We wiped her memory of it all and she went on her merry way, none the wiser."

"And Dolohov?" Hermione said sounding completely unamused, even if it led to their possession of one of the elusive Horcruxes.

"Like we said that was only a bit of fun," Fred said with a shrug. "We still had some time with a little luck. So we went on as planned on to Hogsmeade. Dolohov was there with a couple of Death Eaters that are teaching there now, the Carrows. They were complaining to Dolohov about the wave of resistance Snape was facing from not only the students but the professors."

"People are opposing Snape," Harry asked surprised.

"Oh yeah," Fred said with a grin. "Apparently, our Ginny made some sort of comments during the Welcoming Feast. She got detention from Snape to be served with Filch."

Harry snorted, "That won't be too bad then."

"Nah," agreed Fred. "She won't be alone either."

"Why," Hermione asked curiously as to who else could be causing the leadership of the school this much trouble already."

"Who else would you expect, Neville and Luna of course," George explained. "They lead a cheer for Dumbledore or something like that. I'd love to hear what that great bat had to say about all this."

Hermione gasped in realization and disappeared up the stairs.

"What's with her," Fred asked.

Harry shrugged, "I'm sure she'll tell us." He was right. The girl returned a few minutes later carrying the empty canvas of painting in an elaborate gold frame.

"What are we supposed to do with that?" Harry asked.

"Do you know whose portrait this is?" Hermione asked.

"So old horrible Black family member," Harry said with scathing disapproval.  "Why's it matter, Hermione?"

"This is Phineas Nigellus Black," Hermione informed them.

"The worst headmaster Hogwarts ever had," Harry finished remembering the conversation he had once had about the Black family history. "So he'll be able to tell us what's going on in Snape's office."

"I will not," the portrait announced as the subject slide back into his frame. "You little trouble makers have no right to know the coming and goings of the headmaster."

"We need to know where the slimy git is," Fred complained.

"An attitude like that will do you little good," Phineas Nigellus remarked with an air of contempt. "Students always presuming they have rights to know everything as if it were owed to them."
"Snape has something we need, something Dumbledore left to a friend," Harry explained.

"If Dumbledore wished to leave something to any of your friends, Potter, he would have done so," Phineas Nigellus remarked.

"Not if the Ministry stuck their noses in where they didn't belong," objected Fred. "The bastards said Dumbledore couldn't leave it to Harry since it wasn't his to give."

"If you are referring to the Sword of Gryffindor, they are quite right. The sword may present itself to any worthy member of that foolhardy house." Phineas Nigellus said, his dislike for Gryffindors clear.

"Well, it's already presented itself to Harry once. Shouldn't that be good enough," Hermione asked.

"No," Phineas Nigellus said with a look of boredom.

Harry sighed, "He's not going to help us, Hermione. Put him back."

Hermione glared at the uncooperative painting and instead of taking it back upstairs she shoved it into her beaded bag.

"What you do that for?" Requested Harry over the still audible objects of the portrait's subject.

"You never know when he might be of use," Hermione explained.

"You really think we'll have to stop and have a chat with him at the Ministry of Magic," suggested Fred sarcastically.

"We may have to leave here at some point," Hermione explained.  "We should not lose our eyes and ears into what's happening at Hogwarts."

"That's it," Harry said pounding the table vicariously.

"What's it mate," asked a mildly confused George.

"Our eyes and ears into the school," Harry said with a grin, "It's not some grouchy old painting. We've got Neville, Ginny, and Luna."

"Do you think they can help," Hermione asked.

"A painting isn't going to be able to get its hands on the sword for us," Harry explained. "We need a real person for that."

"Do you think it's wise to ask them," Hermione protested. "How are they supposed to get us the sword anyway?"

Harry waved away her objections. "You know they would want to help. They've been there for every time before. We can deal with how they'll get us the sword later."

"So, how do we do it," asked Fred clearly supporting Harry's idea.

Harry retrieved the DA coin from the sack Hagrid gave him on his birthday, "With this."

Harry sent the message on the three coins, "Need Gryffindor Sword. HP"

The coin grew warm in Harry's hand, "Soon. NL"

"What's he mean by that," George asked as Harry read the boy's response out loud to the others.

Harry shrugged uncertainly, "He's going to try and get it soon."

 ~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

It had been over a week since Harry had sent the message to the three members of the inner circle that reminded at Hogwarts. He had not received any further information as to their plans for the task Harry had set them.   

There was a sound of someone at the front door.

"Who the bloody Hell could that be?" Fred demanded, looking up as if he could see through the floor to the front door.
Harry did not respond but grabbed his wand and ran up the stairs. He was at the top in time to heard a familiar raspy voice tell the grey cloud Dumbledore he was not its murderer. Still, Harry did not drop his wand.

"Who are you," Harry demanded.

"It's me, Remus," the werewolf said, "I am the last remaining Marauder, Moony of the creators of the Marauder’s Map, the husband of Nymphadora often known as Tonks."

Harry lowered his wand. He was unable to resist and launched himself at the man. The werewolf did not flinch as he pulled the young man into a tight embrace. He was just as glad to see Harry as the Harry was to see him.

"What are you doing here," Harry asked as he stepped away from his father's only remaining friend.

Remus motioned for them to head downstairs and to rejoin the others who had stayed behind in the kitchen. Harry followed behind him. He noticed there was a stiffness in the older man's movements that he had not noticed before. Harry could not think when the last full moon was, the aches of transformation normally taking a toll on Remus' wellbeing.

"Remus," Hermione greeted excitedly.

"Hello Hermione, Fred, George," Remus responded as he took a seat at the table.

Harry busied himself as he made tea.

"What's going on?" Fred asked.

"How is Mum?" requested George.

Remus held up his hand to stop the triad of questions. "Your mother is fine. Bill and Fleur are still working at the bank at the moment. I believe Charlie has returned to Romania for the moment."

"And Percy," George asked.

"Is still working at the Ministry," Remus answered uneasily.

"What," the twins cried in unison.

"The Ministry is in the hands of You-Know-Who," Hermione objected.

"It is," agreed Remus. "Percy believes that it is important that the Order have someone on the inside of the Ministry."

"How does Mrs. Weasley feel about that?" Harry asked.

"I don't believe Molly was very pleased. She is worried about Percy's safety. However, he is not the child that is causing her the most distress at the moment."

"He's not," Harry said in disbelief.

Remus nodded. "Ginny and Ron were apprehended along with Neville and Luna trying to steal the Sword of Gryffindor from Snape's office."

"Oh no," Hermione breathed.

"Are they okay," Harry asked anxiously.

Remus nodded, "They received detention with Hagrid in the Forbidden Forest."

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. He seemed to be the only one to do so.

"Detention with Hagrid," Fred asked skeptically.

"That is what we were told," Remus confirmed.

"That's it," George sounded as confused as his brother. "That's hardly a punishment. They probably just had a laugh."

"It is rather unexpected," Remus conceded. Not all of the werewolf's new was good though. "As a result of the attempted burglary, the sword is being moved to Gringotts. We assume it is being placed in the Lestrange vault since it was Rodolphus that retrieved it from the headmaster's office."

There was a muttering of displeasure through the group of young people at this development.

"Why are you here Remus," Harry asked. The man's company was not unappreciated but Harry did find it unsettling. There was something Remus wasn't telling them. Harry needed to know what it was.

"I have come to offer my services on your mission," Remus said stiffly.

"What do you mean," Harry asked confused.

"It's clear that Dumbledore left something for you to achieve. I have come to offer my assistance. I am somewhat of an expert in the Dark Arts. You are likely to run across magic you can't have ever dreamed of," Remus explained. "You won't have to tell me what the mission is, only the basic outline of what we need to accomplish."

"What about Tonks?" Hermione asked. "You're only just married."

"She will be safe at her parents," Remus said shifting awkwardly in his seat.

"At her parents," George repeated. "Why will she be there? Doesn't she want to fight?"

"Of course, she does," Remus confirmed, "but Tonks is going to have a baby."

"That's wonderful Remus," Hermione squealed excitedly.

"Congratulations mate," George said with a grin.

"Good on you, Remus," Fred said with a grin to match his brother.

Harry was the only one to not offer his congratulations. "You're going to be a dad and you want to come with us? How can you even think about coming with us?"

"I should never have married Tonks. I did it with great reservations. I am not the idea of what parents want their only daughter to bring home.  Now... my kind doesn't normally reproduce. At best I will be a source of embarrassment and ridicule. What if I have doomed them to a life of pain and rejection?" Remus' voice rose in panic as he spoke, pulling his hair. The agitated face was almost deranged.

"So this is your plan, run away and leave them to fend for themselves?" Harry snapped in disapproval.

"Harry, James would want me to help you," Remus argued.

"Bullshit," Harry snapped back. "My dad died trying to save me. He did everything thing he could to stay with us." With a heavy note of disapproval, Harry said, "I never thought you could be such a coward."

"How dare you," Remus hissed, his wand in his hand.

"How dare you," Harry yelled his own wand drawn. "You want to run away from your responsibilities and relive your glory days. You don't want your kid to be embarrassed of you. Fine, who wouldn't be embarrassed of someone who ran when they found out the news they were going to be parents?"

"I won't be treated like this," Remus said storming up the stairs.
"Remus, come back," Hermione called following him to the front door but wasn't able to catch him. "He's gone," Hermione informed Harry with a disapproving huff as she took her seat at the table.

"Good," Harry said with a nod. "I hope he goes back to Tonks. Parents shouldn't leave their kids, not when you have a choice."

"Agreed," Fred said sadly.

"You didn't have to be so mean about it," Hermione chastised.
George shook his head, "Nah, Harry said what needed to be said. I reckon Remus wouldn't have taken in anything less than what he was just told. Dad might have said it a bit differently but the point would have been the same."

Hermione looked from George to Fred.

"Definitely," Fred confirmed, "Now back to what Remus said about the sword."

"What about it," Harry demanded his mind still on Remus' news.
"The Sword of Gryffindor, the only way we know how to destroy these Horcruxes is now being moved to Gringotts. Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?" Fred asked his voice missing any note of humor.

"The only place that might be harder to break into is the Ministry of Magic," George sighed.

"Then it's a good thing we have an entire cauldron of Liquid Luck waiting for us," Hermione said with a devious smile.
Fred and George looked at one another.

"You know George, I think we may have been a bad influence on her," Fred said uneasily.

"I think you might be right," agreed his twin.



 ~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

Harry sat at the head of the table as they poured over their notes on what they had been able to learn from the observations of the security procedures at Gringotts. The goblins were doing their best to stay out of the wizard's' war. However, the proud creatures did not approve of some of the things the new Ministry was requesting of them.

“Is there any chance Bill could help us get in touch with some of the bank goblin’s,” Hermione asked a few days into watching the bank.

“I don’t know,” Fred said uneasily, “Why would you want to talk to them?”

“Last year he said he goblins were trying to stay out of the wizard’s war,” Hermione told him.

“What good does that do us,” Harry asked looking up from David Copperfield.

“If the goblins are not actively siding with You-Know-Who there is a possibility that some might be willing to help us.  We all know how he treats creatures that he finds unworthy of his respect, that is everything that is not a Pureblood wizard,” Hermione’s voice was thick with contempt.  

“That’s a good idea,” George agreed.  “Now we just need to figure out a way to talk to Bill without getting us all killed.”

It took another few days to figure out how they would be able to safely communicate their eldest brother.  George had worn the Invisibility Cloak had slipped a note into Bill’s pocket as he walked back to the Leaky Cauldron to Floo home after work.  It requested that he Apparate to headquarters that evening.  The way the note was worded it would make almost no sense if it were discovered by anyone else.  Even members of the Order would not have been able to figure out was meant with all of the Weasley family references.  

The familiar sound of the shadow of Dumbledore demanding to know if it was his murder entering the house activated letting the residents know their company had arrived.  All had wands in their hands as they went down the hall to greet their guest.

“Who is it,” Fred demanded.  

“It’s Bill,” Bill answered stepping into the light of the hallway.  

“Prove it,” Harry demanded.  

Bill paused uncertainly what the teen wanted him to say to do this.

“When we were about four or five me and Fred locked Percy in the attic with the ghoul,” George began.  

“Mum nearly tanned your hinds,” Bill agreed.  

George nodded.

“Why did we lock him in there,” Fred requested.  

Bill frowned trying to remember the incident.  “Percy was mad you two had taken something of his and he tried to get it back.  He couldn’t because you had locked it up somehow.  He got me to help him get it back and I fell, cracked my head open on Dad’s desk.  Percy told Mum the whole thing.  She made you two stand in a corner or something.  You didn’t care about that part.  It was Percy whining to Mum that bugged you.”

Fred accepted his answer, lowered his wand and said, “Hey Bill.”

Bill nodded his head in return to in younger brother, “Bit nervous.”

“Can’t be too careful,” Harry answered seriously.  

Bill nodded his head again, “Of course.  In your note, you said you wanted to talk about the bank.”

“Yeah,” Harry confirmed.  He led the group down the stairs into the kitchen.  

“We need to break into Gringotts,” Harry said as set out the tea a few minutes later.  

Bill went pale.  “You’re absolutely mad. It can’t be done.  You’ll be caught instantly, killed probably.  If Mum thought I had anything to do with it, she’d kill me too.”

“We have to,” Harry insisted.

“No,” Bill said firmly.

“Bill,” Hermione said a bit more softly. “We need to get in the bank, there is something we need.”

“Why,” Bill demanded.

“We can’t tell you,” Harry answered.  

Hermione spoke again, “We can’t tell you in detail. We can say that without it, we will not be able to defeat You-Who-Know.”  

“And it’s in Gringotts,” Bill asked.

“In the Lestrange vault,” Hermione confirmed.

“Fuck,” Bill cursed under his breath.  

“What’s wrong with that,” George asked.

“I thought you mad for saying you wanted to break into the bank, to begin with, but to try and get into a high-security vault, well you might as well ask to fly to the moon on thestral wings,” Bill said leaning back in to look at the ceiling.   

“If we told you we had Polyjuice Potion would that help,” Hermione asked.  

“The Chudley Cannons still have a better chance of coming out on the top of the league,” Bill said mirthlessly.

“What if we had a luck on our side,” Fred asked.  

Bill shook his head, “Even the all the luck in the world will only get you so far.  You would need the help of half the staff of the bank to get out of there undetected.”

“Is there a chance we could get it,” Fred asked hopefully.

“Not a chance,” Bill said sourly.  “We could maybe get three or four to help us.  If they were in the right position maybe they can get you down to the vault.  The problem is getting back out.  There’s only one way in or out of the vaults.  You’ll have passed all of the security measures to get to the high-security vaults.”  The curse breaker sighed.  “Let me think about it a couple of days.  Maybe let me talk to a few of the goblins.”

The look on her face showed Hermione’s disapproval at this but she said nothing.  

“If you want even a snowball’s chance let me do what I need to,” Bill said to the girl.  She nodded. He rose from the table.  “I’ll come back in a few days when I have talked to who I need to.”
“We’ll see you then,” Harry agreed walking their guest to the door.

As promised Bill returned a few days later.

“Are they going to help us,” “What did you find out,” Fred and George demanded of their brother.  

Bill held up a hand to silence them.  “I found a few goblins that are willing to help.  It is still going to be incredibly risky.  I can’t promise you any sort of success either.”

“What do we need to do,” Harry asked.

“You will need not only to get a sample of one of the Lestranges but their wand as well,” Bill began.  

Hermione breathed deeply at this.  

“That’s not the worst of it,” Bill warned her.  “Harry has to be the one to do the next part.”

“Why me,” Harry demanded.  

“There are many protections in the bank to prevent thefts, things that remove all forms of concealment, including Polyjuice.  Goblins may think we all we look alike but even they know what Harry Potter, “Undesirable No. 1” looks like.  That scar is the key to getting them to help you,” Bill explained.

“How are they going to know it’s me before that,” Harry asked.

“You are to walk to the front counter and demanded to see Gorgar, he’s one of the goblins in charge of high-security vaults.  Then you will tell him you need to remove a very important family heirloom,” Bill instructed.  

Hermione’s hand was racing across a parchment in front of her taking down all the instructions in detail.  

“Gorgar will take you down to the appropriate vault and let you in.” Bill paused, “He won’t help you to find what you are looking for thought.”

“We know what we’re looking for,” Harry said trying to reassure the eldest Weasley child.  

“I still think you’re all mad to try this.  You’ll need all the luck you can get,” Bill informed them.  

“We have a whole cauldron full of Felix Felicis,” George told him truthfully.  

“If I were you, I would drink the whole lot before you tried this,” Bill said with a shake of his head, his long ponytail bouncing back and forth on his shoulders.  

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Harry said with an uneasy chuckle.  

Bill left them a short time later wishing them all luck.  He hoped he would see them all soon.  He was sure he would hear how things went as soon as it happened, if not then, on the front page of The Daily Prophet.  

“We need to be careful with the Felix Felicis," Hermione said as the twins handed her a copy of the people they had seen coming and going from the bank on a regular basis several days after Bill’s last visit.

"What do you mean," Fred asked.

"If you take too much of it, it can lead to giddiness, overly reckless behavior," Hermione explained.  "I think it would be better if I took the next dose.” She quickly added, “Along with Harry of course.  Neither of us has taken any since last year.”

"Fine," the twins agreed simultaneously.

"We need the hair of a Lestrange to get into their vault," Harry stated.

"I am aware of that Harry," Hermione agreed.

"We haven't  ever seen any of them at the bank," Harry protested.

“That’s possibly a good thing as they can’t have mistaken the real Lestrange for you yet,” Hermione said trying to sound optimistic, though it didn’t work very well.  She rested her head in her hand, "Perhaps we are looking for them in the wrong place," Hermione suggested.

Harry frowned at the statement. "What do you mean?"
"There might be a place we could find a wizard of their dark inclination," Hermione said setting aside the stack of notes.

Harry's puzzled expression did not ease.

"Knockturn Alley," Fred translated for Harry. "We've got a pretty good view of the entrance to the shop if they're turning onto the street from Diagon Alley."

"How many people are doing that nowadays," George mumbled.

Fred shrugged off his brother's comment. "We can set the wards around the shop to monitor for one of the Lestranges. We get a bit of hair or something from one of them and then we use it to walk into the bank no questions asked."

"As easy as all that?" Hermione asked in complete disbelief.

"Yep," Fred said with a cocky grin.

The twins had a number of wards around the shop already. Turning the wizard on the sign for Weasley Wizard Wheezes to alert the residents of Number Twelve that a member of the Lestrange family was in the area was only a matter of fine tuning. Harry was surprised at little work it took the twins to set it up. In the meantime, they tried everything they could think of to try and destroy the Horcrux in their possession. Their efforts were in vain but it made them feel as if they were doing something while they waited.

The discussion of where the other Horcruxes might be was also a frequent topic of discussion. They tried to think of any possible locations it could be located from what Harry had learned from Dumbledore. The others refused to believe that You-Know-Who could have possibly left one in Hogwarts, despite Harry's insistence that it made the most sense. Harry understood how the castle had been the first true home Tom Riddle had ever known.  

The quartet visited the site where the orphanage Tom lived at once stood. It was now a towering office block. There was nothing there.

When Harry became frustrated with his companions he would retreat to his room with the copy of The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore that Bathilda Bagshot gave him at the wedding. The book had raised many questions in Harry's mind.  There was so much Dumbledore had not told Harry. The headmaster was not the man Harry had thought he had been.

The old wizard had been close friends with Gerhart Grindelwald when he was Harry's age. The two young men had talked about bringing the magical world out of hiding. The Muggle world would be the subjects of this new all powerful wizarding society. They said it would be for 'the greater good'. This is not what interested Harry the most. It was the laughing face of the future dark wizard.

The face of Grindelwald had haunted his nightmares of late. You-Know-Who had been trying to locate the wizard. As a young man the wizard had stolen something from the wandmaker Gregorovitch. You-Know-Who had killed the wandmaker already. Why he would do so confused Harry. He had asked his fellows but none had a possible answer.

The alarms to the ward around the store alerted them as they ate breakfast a little over a week after they were set. Everyone grabbed their wands, their cloak, Harry had his Invisibility Cloak with him as he always did. Harry and Hermione took long swallows of the luck potion before silently signalling for Hermione to act.

Hermione opened the door to the shop stepping out into the street undisguised. She whistled at the tall, unattractive Death Eater to get his attention. The wizard stared at her as she moved back toward the boarded up store. He followed her into the shop completely oblivious to the presence of the three other wizards in the room. Rodolphus Lestrange hit the floor with a heavy thump.

Hermione swooped down and plucked a few hairs from his head before adding them to a cup of Polyjuice. The muddy potion turned an unpleasant shade of grey-green with the addition. Hermione held out the cup to Harry.

"Hurry," she urged, "I don't know how long his absence will go unnoticed."

Fred passed a set of robes that should fit Harry in the bigger body his would become after the potion. Harry nodded his thanks as he disappeared into the back of the change. Harry slugged back a few swallows of the foul tasting concoction, a mixture of bad eggs and cabbage. He remembered the odd bubbling sensation his skin had from when they took the potion in second year. He had forgotten the momentary pain as his body was forced to grow taller and wider to match Lestrange's imposing figure. The transformation complete Harry returned to the main room of the shop.

"You should leave now," Harry advised in Lestrange's deep voice. "I'll meet you at home when I have the sword."

"Are you sure you don't want one of to come," Hermione asked once again.

Harry insisted, "You can’t, I have to be the one to go remember?  I’ll be fine, Hermione." He took the abducted wizard's wand and gripped in tightly in his hand. The unfamiliar bit of wood felt awkward in his large hairy hands.

Not to waste any further time Harry walked purposely out the door. He made sure not to run to ensure he did not draw any unnecessary attention to himself.  He held his head high and glared at anyone who dared look at him too long. He did his best to ignore the posters of his own true face staring at him from what felt like every window. Each poster titled with the words "Undesirable No. 1", the captured with the promised reward of ten thousand galleons for Harry Potter's capture.

Harry climbed the stairs of the bank with ease, taking them two or three at a time. A goblin opened the door for him. He ignored the long faced creature as if it did not exist, Lestrange would never acknowledge a being he considered to be beneath him.
The bank was empty compared to any other time Harry had visited it. His heavy footfalls echoing off the stone walls. He walked up the counter at the end of the long chamber.

"What do you require," demanded the hook-nosed goblin standing behind the counter.

“I need to speak with Gorgar,” Harry told the goblin in front of him.  The creature shuffled off and returned a moment later he returned with a goblin Harry assume was Gorgar.  Harry thought the new goblin was older.  He had a large burn scar on his face.  Harry wondered what could have caused it.  

“How can I help you today Master Lestrange,” the goblin said in a low growl.

"I need to retrieve a valuable heirloom from my family's vaults," Harry tried to sound intimidating.

The goblin gave him an appeasing look. "Present your wand as confirmation of identity Mr. Lestrange."

Harry turned over the foreign wand glad to have it out of his hand for the moment. The wand had an unpleasant feel to it like mild electrical current.  Harry preferred the warm sensation that accompanied the use of his own holly and phoenix wand.  The goblin placed the wand in a machine that analysed the wand, like the one the wizard at the security desk had used when Mr. Weasley took Harry to his trial before fifth year. The goblin must have accepted the findings of the machine as he snapped for another goblin to take his place at the counter.  

“I will escort Mr. Lestrange to his vault,” Gorgar told his fellow goblin.  

Harry thought the creature looked slightly surprised by that.  He did his best to keep his expression calm.  Harry followed Gorgar down into the vaults.

As the small cart rocketed down the tracks Harry wished he had thought to check the potions kit Remus had given him for a Stomach Calming Draught. In all his trips to the bank, he had never gone down without taking one before hand. He fought back the wave of nausea as they came around another sharp curve. Deeper and deeper they went into the bank, deeper than he had ever been before.

"What's that," Harry demanded of the goblin driver pointing at the waterfall that was rapidly approaching.

"The Thief's Falls, it removes all magical concealment.  There is no way to avoid it,” the goblin warned. The cart passed through the falls the cart crashed into the wall in front of them.  Harry and Gorgar fell, the ground racing toward them.  The goblin must have done something to slow their fall as they landed safely on their feet a moment later.

“The bank does not let harm come to their employees at the hands of a thief, Mr. Potter,” Gorgar said looking up at Harry, his eyes fixed on the lightening bolt scar.  

“That’s good I guess,” Harry said uncertainly.

“He might wish it did if the thief were to be successful,” Gorgar said threateningly.

Harry frowned, “Then why are you helping me?”

“We want nothing to do with your war,” Gorgar said it with clear disgust.  “The other one, the one you fight demands things of us that are below our noble race.  I aide you so that we will be returned to our rightful place and be left to our own business.”

“The staff will be alerted there is someone down here under false pretenses.  We must hurry.”  

Harry nodded, “I understand.”

“You do not,” Gorgar said contemptuously, “but that is not important. Follow me.”  

They walked down several long tunnels.  It was very dark, Harry had a very hard time seeing where he was going.  There was a sound almost like wind blowing coming from nearby.  Harry wondered where it was coming from.  As they rounded the next corner, his question was answered.  

There lay a huge dragon, a two-foot wide metal collar around its long scared neck.  There were heavy cuffs attached to long chains anchored into the ground around the creature's rear feet as well. The beast's eyes were covered in a filmy white but it raised its head at the sound of the approaching cart.  Several goblins sat around a table waiting for them. They drew closer one of the goblins handed large bells to Gorgar. The dragon reared back at the sound. It must have come to associate the sound with pain. Aunt Marge had talked about training dogs the same way.

Gorgar led Harry to the Lestrange vault running a single finger down the lock to open it.  He stepped inside, the door still open.  

“I will not help you locate the item which you seek, Mr. Potter,” Gorgar reminded Harry.

“I know,” Harry said annoyed.  “I know what I’m looking for.”  

“I’m sure you do,” the goblin said skeptically.

"Stay here," ordered Harry.

The goblin nodded. Harry walked into the vault not sure where the sword could be. He felt his heart speed up as it had the first time he came into proximity with the locket. There was something else here. Something was drawing him to it. He looked around, on a shelf high above his head there it was, Helga Hufflepuff's cup. One of the Horcruxes was here.

“There are two things I need to take,” Harry told the goblin.  

“Do what you will,” warned the goblin.

Harry looked around, he needed to find the sword first.  He walked a few feet further back and there it was sitting proudly atop an old jewel encrusted case.  He took a deep breath as he grabbed the glistening hilt of the Gryffindor's sword. Nothing happened to him but Harry could hear something outside. An alarm had been sounded. The other goblins now knew he wasn't the real Rodolphus Lestrange. Harry stuck the sword through his belt along with Lestrange's wand. He used his own holly wand to cast a Summoning Charm but the cup did not come. He should have expected that. He would have to climb to reach the golden chalice.

“Move quickly,” warned Gorgar.  

Harry’s toe bumped into a goblet sitting by his foot.  The metal burned with a fiery heat and created a second, identical copy of itself.

Harry frowned. “Why didn’t the sword do that?”  

“The sword is not guarded by the wards of the bank,” Gorgar answered.  “The Sword of Gryffindor has a magic of its own.  It can present itself to its house it deems worthy.  When it is no longer needed it will return to its proper home.”

“Right,” Harry grumbled. He placed a hand above him on the shelf holding a large ornate box. It burned his flesh and another identical box appeared beside it. The same happened when his toes touched a large bowl to his left. He did his best not touch any further objects as he climbed but it was nearly impossible. Every step higher he bumped into something else. He grabbed hold of the goblet the pain of contact excruciating. Still, he held firm as the cup created copy after copy of itself. There would be no way for him to find it again if he let go.  

The room felt like an oven as the room continued to fill with the scalding copies of the innumerable treasures. Harry could hear voices approaching the door that had closed at some point.He had lost track of Gorgar.  He shoved the cup into Hagrid's poach so he could free his hands. He forced his way closer toward the door, his wand in hand once more. He fell forward in a wave of gold and silver as the goblins opened the door.

“It’s Potter,” one of the goblins said standing over the teen.
Harry gripped firmly to the handle of his wand.  

“On your feet,” a goblin ordered Harry.  

“This way,” one of the goblin said as the teen stumbled after him.  

They could hear voices coming in their direction.  They were getting closer.  They were forced to retreat.  Goblins and wizards came running into the opening where the Lestrange vault was all shooting spells.  

Harry started to throw indiscriminate Stunning Spells around him. The goblins surrounding him fell in place. Those still standing drew closer, daggers in hand. He was surrounded by enemies on all sides.  A roar from the equally trapped beast behind him gave Harry an idea.

"Relashio!" Harry cried severing the chains around one leg then the other. The repeated the spell to cut the last remaining chain.
The dragon did not move. It did not realize it was free. Harry took the moment to climb onto the back of the giant. He had just gotten hold as the beast began to move. It was climbing the walls, forcing its way higher.  The great spiked tail thrashed knocking over goblins at first, sending rocks showering down as they went higher. The creature was too big for the space it was trying to move into, Harry muttered gouging spells forcing bit of rock out of their way. The dragon continued to climb. It could smell the fresher air the closer to the surface they got.

The goblins at the entrance to the tunnels screamed and moved out of their way, too scared to try and stop the enraged dragon. The goblins at the door were braver trying to force the doors closed the capture the beast once more. The heavy metal doors were no match for the force of the dragon's body. They burst off their hinges as it flew through free first time. Harry hung on until he could feel the animal began to climb.

Harry looked down to see the ground below. The could see the bustling road below him growing smaller. They were heading north, how long the dragon would continue this way he did not know. The dragon arrived at altitude it liked in the cold wet air of low clouds. Harry climbed to the center of its back now that they were going no higher. He stood in the center of the dragon's back and silently repeating the three D’s of Apparition, turned on his heel.

Harry landed awkwardly on the top step of the entrance to Grimmauld Place. If Death Eaters were still watching the house he was sure they must have seen his elbow. He hoped they had not seen the silver blade of the sword that remained stuck through the belt of Harry's jeans.

Harry opened the door and walked into the front hall. He used the time of Dumbledore's shade questioning him to recollect his wits. Hermione and the twins were waiting for him at the entrance to the drawing room.

"You look awful," Hermione said gently touching a blister on the side of Harry's face.

"Thanks," Harry muttered.

"Did you get it," George asked needlessly, the sword clearly visible at Harry's waist.

Harry nodded as he removed the sword and threw it onto the table, finally overturning the long abandoned game of chess between Harry and Sirius. The teen smiled a little at himself as the annoyed chessmen yelled and cursed at him for the action.

"This is great," Fred said picking up the sword.

Harry sank exhausted into Sirius' chair. "That's not all I got." Harry croaked. He needed something to drink. His throat hurt as he spoke.

"It's not,” George asked.

Harry shook his head. Hermione came to stand beside him dabbing the essence of dittany on the burns. He flinched away from her ministrations.

"Sorry," Hermione apologized, not stopping.

Harry pushed her hand away.

"Harry," Hermione chided.

The boy ignored her as he sat up. He removed the cup from the bag around his neck.

"What's that?" "Is that?" Fred and George said together.

"Hufflepuff's cup," Harry confirmed with a tired nod.

"Two down," George said with a grin.

"Not until we destroy them," Harry mumbled before falling asleep where he sat.



 ~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

Harry didn't know how long he had been asleep when he woke, still in Sirius' chair. He could hear cursing from down the hall. He stood and stretched, his back cramping from sleeping in such an awkward position. He followed the sound of the voices.
Fred stood with the sword in his hand. The necklace and goblet lay side-by-side on the low table.

"Try it again," urged George.

Harry watched as Fred swung the sword above his head bringing it down with as much force as he could muster. The silver blade ricocheted off the golden cup. The blade damaged the cup unharmed. Fred made to repeat the action.

"Stop," Harry ordered from his place just inside the door frame.
The twins turned to look at him. The sword still raised above Fred's head.

"How many times have you done that?" Harry demanded as he approached the table.

Fred looked to his brother.

"Three or four," George said uneasily.

"Something isn't right," Harry said motioning for the sword.

Fred dropped his arm and brought it out in front of him. He offered Harry the sword hilt first. The black haired boy took it in hand once again. It looked just like the sword that he had drawn from the Sorting Hat four years before. If this was the sword from the Chamber of Secrets, why was it not destroying the Horcrux?

Harry ran his hand down the blade there was a ding in the blade half an inch long and almost a quarter of an inch deep. He set the cup inspecting it  to make sure his suspensions were correct. The cup was completely unaffected.

"I am thought this was supposed to destroy them," Fred asked Harry.

"It should," Harry said running a finger over the badger on the front of the cup. "I don't understand. Have you tried the locket yet?"

Fred shook his head. "Do you think it will work better?"

"I don't know," Harry sighed. "Where's Hermione?"

"She was having a lie-down," George informed him.

"So you decided to just destroy the Horcruxes right now," Harry asked.

"Should we have waited?" demanded an affronted Fred. "I thought the whole point of this mission was to get rid of these damn things."

"What's with all the yelling," Hermione asked joining the boys.

"Harry's angry we tried to get rid of the bloody Horcruxes without him. Not that it did us any good," George explained.

"What do you mean, George?" Hermione asked any sign of sleep disappearing in an instant.

Harry handed her the cup describing what he had witnessed. Hermione took the sword from him next. The girl's brow was furrowed in deep concentration. She ran a finger over the damaged blade. She tapped the sword with her wand several times. The boys watched her muttering to herself for several minutes until she set the sword down again. She repeated the process again before finally stepping back.

"What's going on Hermione," Harry dared to ask.

"It's not the right sword," Hermione announced.

"What the bloody Hell do you mean it's not the right sword," George demanded. "It's the sword Harry used to kill the basilisk isn't it?"

Hermione shook her head. "The one Harry used in the Chamber of Secrets was made by goblins. This sword was made by wizards. It's a copy. A good copy but it will do us no good in destroying the Horcruxes."

"Now what do we do," Fred asked collapsing in defeat onto the overstuffed chair behind him.

"We find the sword, the real one," Harry concluded.

"Great another thing to find," Fred lamented. "Any idea where it might be?"

Harry sighed, "Not a clue."

The room was heavy with the silence of the momentary defeat.
Harry's skull felt as if it were going to burst open. Voldemort stood in the ruined entrance to the high security vaults of Gringotts. A wizard stood before him. The man was trying to explain what had happened that afternoon. Harry had stolen the sword of Gryffindor. The didn't have a chance to finish his explanation of what happened before Voldemort murdered him. Any other employee that did not flee died.

Voldemort walked into the vault, he needed to make sure that was all the boy had taken.  Bellatrix was a dedicated servant.  She would never dare put any of her master’s belongings at risk.  He walk slowly around the vault try to find.  He waved his wand dropping the protective magics that should be around the cup and tried Summoning it.  Nothing happened.  The cup was not here.  How could the boy know?  Dumbledore.   

He would have to check the rest of his treasures. Who else could know about them? No one knew of the Gaunts. The first to be created and hidden, possibly the least protected.  He would have to redouble his efforts to protect it. The cave, only he could have reached that place. Could someone at the orphanage mentioned it to nosy Dumbledore? Of course they would have. No other had learned as much about the castle of Hogwarts as he. That one was safe. Nagini the snake would have to be kept safe. She was too important now. He could not afford to lose her.

The quest for the wand could wait while he ensured the Horcruxes were safe. It would do little good to have the Hollows if there was no way to ensure his survival.  

Harry breathed through the pain. "He knows we have the sword and the cup,"

"Does he know the sword is a fake?" Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. "I don't think so. He's worried about protecting the other Horcruxes. What in the Hell are the Hollows? He's after some wand," Harry informed them.

"At least we're not the only ones looking for something," Fred said with a hollow laugh.