Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: If it were mine, man I’d be flying high.
Chapter 10

Harry jerked suddenly awake when a quantity of icy water hit him.

“Jesus friggin christ!” he yelled.

Jerome, who was standing over him and chuckling maliciously, grinned. “Funny, I didn’t have you marked as a holy sort of guy, Harry.”

“Idiot,” Harry snarled, reaching under his pillow for his wand and throwing a sloppy drying charm at himself. “What’d you wake me up for anyway?”

“Breakfast.”

Harry glanced at the clock. “Jerome, it’s 6:00!”

“I know that. It’s time we got serious on your training! We only have seven days until you’re off to Grimmauld Place! Now come on!”

Harry glared again at Jerome before crawling out of bed and slowly changing into a pair of worn-out jeans and a t-shirt.

“Done?” Jerome asked, turning around without waiting for a reply. He wrinkled his nose slightly at Harry’s garments, but didn’t say anything about them. “Come on, Severus is already waiting at the table.”

That was sufficient motivation for Harry to walk a bit faster, knowing his dark potions professor could get into quite a temper over tardiness. As it was, when they arrived, Severus was in a heated discussion with one of his three portraits, which Harry recognized as his father.

“I don’t care who’s personalities you don’t like, Augustus! You are dead, you don’t have control over me, and I can have this portrait burned if that’s what it takes to shut you up! I can burn the whole damn manor down! You aren’t here to stop me any longer! Now QUIET!”

Jerome bent down to Harry’s ear and murmured, “I don’t think the people in America heard,” at which Harry giggled softly.

At once Severus whirled around, with his face twisted into an angry scowl. It softened when he realized it was just Harry and Jerome. “I apologize, I didn’t realize I had company.” Then he turned back to the portrait and banished it from the room. “Shall we eat?” he asked politely, moving towards the table.

Harry followed Jerome’s lead and sat down. The food was already out on their plates, so Harry took a nervous bite and Severus and Jerome joined him, picking at their food. “Harry, Jerome probably already told you that we are to begin your training today. Would you like to know what we have planned for you?”

“Sure, why not.”

Jerome replied. “First, we’ll go out into the woods, and Severus and I will teach you the pros and cons of fighting in the shelter of trees. Second, we’ll gather potions ingredients from the forest since we’re already out there. Then we’ll come inside, stock those, and have lunch. Then we’ll duel, all three of us against each other. Then we’ll work on potions until dinnertime, and then we’ll strategize some more.”

“Sounds good.”

“If your hurry up and finish your meal, we can begin and see if it really is good,” Severus replied.

Harry ducked his head and shoved the last few bites of toast in his mouth then stood up.

“Got your wand?” Jerome asked.

Harry patted his jeans pocket.

“Good,” the potions master said. “Now follow me.”

The three men walked back into a room behind the living room that Harry hadn’t seen before. It was small and a bit dusty, and Jerome and Severus didn’t seem to pay it much mind as they led him through a black door to the forest behind the manor.

Harry looked at the forest hesitantly. It looked even darker than the Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts. “Are we going in there?” He asked, sincerely hoping he had heard Jerome wrong.

Jerome and Severus looked at him, smirking evilly. “Wand out, Mr. Potter,” Severus said in a spooky voice worthy of Argus Filch. “Lots of dangerous creatures in my woods.”

“Shut up,” Jerome said, elbowing his friend in the ribs. “I wanted him to be surprised when the man-eating thestrals swooped down.”

Harry smirked. “I’ll just close my ears and leave you two to discuss my possible dooms, shall I?”

Severus nodded seriously. “Alright, let’s go.”

“We’re off to see the wizard-“Jerome started. He quickly quieted at Snape’s glare and Harry’s snicker.

“Sorry,” Jerome said meekly. “American muggle movie.”

Severus beckoned to the pair and stepped- quite boldly, Harry thought- into the forest. “Lumos,” he muttered, and the others mimicked his action. Soon they came into a clearing, where Severus motioned that they could sit on a decaying log on one edge of the clearing.

“Today,” Severus murmured, “we’ll be staying in this clearing, but tomorrow we’ll begin exploring the forest. In a few days, you’ll know it intimately.”

Harry nodded.

“There are several advantages to battling in a forest, as well as several disadvantages. Look around. See if you can spot some of both.”

Harry peered into the dark trees. “Lot’s of places to hide.”

“But the enemy could hide too,” Jerome pointed out.

“Traps could easily be set.”

“Be a pity if you got caught in your own trap,” Severus muttered in response.

“Are there centaurs? Unicorns?”

“Yes and yes,” Severus answered.

“We could win them over,” Harry quietly suggested. “Have them agree to help us if we were ever in need.”

Jerome and Severus looked surprised. “Never thought of that,” Jerome whispered to himself.

“I know one or two of the women centaurs,” Severus admitted. “Shyer than the men, but more forgiving personalities.”

“So call them over,” Harry said. “We can have a nice chat.” Severus looked a bit uneasy. “I can try. Chryseis!” He called hesitantly. “Ajaria!”

Immediately two voices replied from the trees, “We are here, Severus. What do you wish from us?”

“I wish for you to meet someone,” the man answered.

Harry gasped as two beautiful centaurs emerged from the trees. One had a black coat, onyx eyes, and wild obsidian curls playing about her shoulder. The other was white, with tan skin compared to Ajaria’s pale features, and had silver hair and eyes.

Severus gestured to the darker centaur. “Harry, this is Ajaria,” he said quietly. “And this is Chryseis,” he motioned towards the lighter one. Ajaria, Chryseis, this is Harry Potter. You already know Jerome.”

Both centaurs bowed to Harry, who bowed awkwardly back. Harry stood straight and examined the centaurs before him. They looked about as wild as the centaurs at Hogwarts did, with their tangled hair and proud faces, but they also looked as though they had more peaceful natures. Harry noticed they were wearing cloth wraps tied tightly around their chests to cover themselves. He could see the faint outline of their nipples through the thin material, which was the same color as their coats.

“Complete opposites,” Harry commented quietly.

“Yin and yang,” Ajaria said, laughing slightly.

“In all but spirit,’ Chryseis added. “We’re sisters.”

Harry nodded in slight surprise.

“But I believe you wished to meet us for a certain reason, Harry Potter?” Ajaria asked quietly.

“Yes, I-I did.”

Jerome smirked at Severus from behind Harry. “I love it when I don’t have to explain anything,” he whispered.

“I was wondering if perhaps-“

Chryseis looked at him with one eyebrow raised.

“You’d join me in the fight against Voldemort?”

For a moment both centaurs were completely still. “Well, you’re brave,” Ajaria murmured.

“We’ll do it,” Chryseis said quietly. “This is what the stars were saying when they said the centaurs’ fate will be tied to this second war.”

“Yes I suppose it is, otherwise you wouldn’t have agreed so quickly, would you?” a deeper voice asked from the trees. A third centaur stepped from where he had been listening in the shadows. “Chryseis. Ajaria. What are you doing here, of all places, and with humans?” The chestnut centaur was much like Harry remembered the ones at Hogwarts as, and he didn’t look just a little angry.

“Mashem,” Ajaria said the centaur’s name in a soothing voice. “Don’t be angry. You’ve read the stars. You thought it might be something like this.”

“Be calm, Mashem,” Chryseis began. “Severus is a friend; even you’ve helped him when he needed it. Can’t you accept these two he trusts, that are so close to his soul?”

Mashem pawed the ground, slightly uneasy. “Humans, Chryseis. They’ve never had good intentions before.”

“Intentions can change, cousin. Yours did.”

The chestnut twitched his tail, then nodded. “I won’t interfere.” Then he faded into the trees, disappearing as fast as he had come.

“So what does this mean?” Harry asked hesitantly.

“It’s good news,” Ajaria said, smiling. “He’ll rally the other centaurs. You shall be welcome and safe in our forest, under the protection of the centaurs. But now you must go. Our cousin hasn’t spread the word yet.” “Danu bless you,” Chryseis murmured as they too drifted off into the trees.

“Danu?” Harry asked curiously.

“One of those that sleeps. Mother of all the true gods and goddesses,” Severus murmured in reply. “Now come.”

Soon they were stepping out of the forest into the bright noon sunshine. There was a bundle of herbs laid carefully on a stone with two feathers on top. Severus hid a smile. “That would be Chryseis and Ajaria. Feather of a snow phoenix, symbol of birth. Feather of a raven, symbol of death.”

“There can be no creation without destruction,” Jerome murmured under his breath.

The three stood staring at the two feathers for a moment before Severus cleared his throat and a sudden bit of breeze blew the two feathers away. “Come on, we need to hurry if we wish to stock these herbs before lunch.”

Harry picked up his knife and began chopping the large leaf on the table into pieces. He laughed when he heard Jerome’s stomach rumble.

“Chop faster, Jerome,” he called, chuckling. “It’s your fault for eating like a bird this morning!”

Severus smirked from where he was levitating the herbs that needed to be dried to hooks on the rafters. “You’re almost done, Jerome. You just need to finish chopping that and put it in the right jar.”

“Thank you!” Jerome gasped, immediately beginning to chop faster.

“Don’t get sloppy now,” Harry chided as he swept the leaf pieces he had chopped into a jar.

“Done!” Jerome called triumphantly, screwing the cap back on a jar and banishing it to the shelves.

“Let’s go,” Harry said, rubbing his stomach. “I’m ready to stuff my face!”

Severus scowled and opened the lab door to allow Jerome and Harry to pass through and up the stairs towards the dining room. A bowl of pasta, magically staying warm, was already sitting on the table, and Jerome and Harry served themselves a plateful as soon as they sat down.

“Wonderful manners,” Severus growled, poking Harry in the side to make him sit straight.

Harry threw Snape a glare. “Why do my manners matter? None of the Gryffindors care.”

Severus scowled. “You’ll find that in polite, civilized society, manners are expected and approved of.”

Harry grimaced. “Why would I ever care what polite society thought of me?”

Jerome answered this time. “You’ll care when you’re trying the convince the press and Fudge you’re not mad when you bring a band of centaurs, Severus, and me into the last battle.”

“Oh.”

“Exactly,” Severus smirked, knowing he’d just gotten good reason to correct Harry’s manners all year. “Elbows off the table. And finish your first bite before you take your second.”

Harry shot an indignant glance at Severus and dropped the forkful of noodles that had been nearing his mouth. “I doubt the Ministry will be interrogating me about my actions while Voldemort’s attacking,” he said sulkily once he swallowed.

“Look at how stupid Fudgeface is and think again,” Jerome countered, rolling his eyes at the thought of the Minister of Magic and shoving an overlarge bite of pasta into his mouth, earning a glare from Severus.

“Too true,” Harry sighed, swallowing a noodle.

“Then how about you stop complaining about it and get him out of office,” a silky voice interrupted.

All three men whirled around to see Salazar Slytherin’s portrait staring at them imperiously, looking haughtily bored. As they watched, the Hogwarts founder deliberately turned his back and walked out of his portrait, calling, “You didn’t even have the sense to ask me to spy at Hogwarts.”

“Where’d he go?” Harry asked, not seeing any other portraits in the room besides the quiet one of Severus’ sister.

“Probably to his other portrait in Hogwarts,” Jerome said speculatively.

Severus nodded. “If we’re lucky, he’ll be spying on the Headmaster’s meeting with the Minister and Weasley for us. That would be his twisted sense of humor,” he added darkly.

“Meeting? What about?” Harry looked at Severus.

“Lots of things- your guardianship, the attack on the Dursley’s, the Dark Lord. Now, if you are finished,” he glanced at Jerome as well as Harry, “we can go down to the lab and brew the potions I have planned for today.”

The teenager and the two men that had already taught him so much stood and walked down to the lab, where they hefted two cauldrons from under the tables.

“Short-term polyjuice potion, Harry,” Severus said.

“What?”

“It’s a short-term polyjuice potion, as the name explains. Only takes forty-five minutes or so to brew, but only lasts fifteen minutes. I need it in my stores in case of Order emergencies.”

“Oh,” Harry said, coughing nervously. “Are you going to tell me instructions or let me use a book?”

“And you just assume I’m going to give you instructions?” Severus paused dramatically. “You will be using a book. Accio!”

A book flew over from a box in the corner. Harry recognized it immediately: it was Moste Potente Potions, the book they had used to make the regular polyjuice potion in second year.

“Page 248,” Severus said, turning towards Jerome. “Jerome, we’ll be brewing the Earth to Fire Potion.”

Jerome murmured a reply and walked off the find ingredients.

Harry immersed himself in the book, knowing how difficult the original potion had been, and expecting the variation to be just as hard. The directions for this one were actually on the page after the one they had made, and Harry smiled at the memories the gruesome pictures in the book brought back. The ingredients needed in the two potions were much the same and Harry quickly brought them all over to his worktable and prepared them. In a matter of minutes, he was carefully increasing the heat of the fire under his cauldron as he poured in some lacewings.

“Not that hot,” Severus warned in low tones behind him.

Harry nodded his acknowledgement and lessened the heat slightly with a wiggle of his wand.

“As soon as you’re done,” Jerome’s voice drifted over from where he was bottling the potion he and Severus had just completed, “we’re going to try an experimental with the polyjuice.”

Harry murmured a faint, “Okay,” and dribbled a drop of peach juice into the potion.

“Here,” Severus handed him some jars and a ladle to store the potion. “Looks exactly right. Glad to know my judgement wasn’t incorrect.”

Harry beamed.

Jerome quickly broke into the awkward moment for Snape. “Harry, we’ll be trying to make a potion that allows a human to turn into an animal for a short period of time. I think I have some ideas on how this could be done, and we’ll be testing these theories in a few minutes when we begin the brewing of this potion. Do you have any questions before we start?”

“Could we possibly use the hair or feather or whatever of an Animagus, so that the transformation in question wouldn’t be as much of a change.”

“Good plan, Harry,” Jerome smiled. “I am, in fact, an unregistered Animagus. I learned to transform the first year I was in France. I will be providing a feather for this little experiment. Would you like to pluck one now, or shall we do it at the end of the brewing?”

“Might as well go ahead,” Severus said decisively.

Jerome nodded and after a brief pause transformed into a mockingbird. He cooed once or twice in imitation of a dove, then Severus carefully pulled out a feather and Jerome switched back.

“A mockingbird?” Harry asked with raised eyebrows.

“When I was at Hogwarts, I used to be brutally honest when I was arguing with people; it seemed people, usually Gryffindorks- no offense- would rather hear lies than the blatant, sometimes hurtful truth. They said I made a mockery of truthfulness. I thought it was amusing.”

Harry nodded, “Ah.”

“Now, the potion,” Severus slid smoothly into the conversation. “There are two aspects to this potion that make it completely for only human transformation. Can you figure out what they are, Harry?”

“Umm...the human ingredient at the end and the-er- shrivelfig?”

“Correct,” Severus allowed. “So, we’ll have to replace these ingredients. One, of course, being the human ingredient at the end, will be easy to replace; we’re using Jerome’s feather. The second is obviously the shrivelfig, which is important in this potion. Not many people know the properties of the shrivelfig, but fortunately for this experiment, I have found them out. The shrivelfig starts, like all other fruits, as a seed, which is not wrinkled. As the seed is planted, and the fruit grows under the earth, it grows more and more wrinkled, like a human who grows wrinkled when nearing death. We know the shrivelfig is at its peak of ripeness when it is as wrinkled as you see it in the stores. Animals don’t experience this change, so you must replace the ingredient with something that symbolizes a change animals do go through, preferably one that changes like the animal you’ve chosen.”

“And this new ingredient would be?” Harry asked, completely stumped.

“A pod of peas,” Jerome responded, grinning.

“Huh?”

“It’s ‘excuse me,’ not ‘huh,’ Mr. Potter,” Snape corrected instantly. Harry ignored him.

“The peas are in the pod, which symbolizes the egg the mockingbird is in. They grow inside, like the bird, then when they’re big enough, they bust out. It’s perfect.”

Harry smiled and poured some water in his cauldron.

“Stir counterclockwise five times,” he muttered as he read the instructions to himself. “Add the shrivelfig, or in this case the peas in their pod. Let simmer for five minutes and put in your human ingredient a.k.a mockingbird feather.” Harry let the pea pod ease slowly into the potion and scooted away from the cauldron. “Five minutes on the clock, Jerome.”

Jerome and Severus smirked slightly at the boy. He had been working on the potion by himself since the little advice they had given him about the ingredient change. Severus was proud; it seemed he had instilled a bit of knowledge in the boy’s brain sometime in five years of teaching. He could make N.E.W.T. level yet.

“Got the feather, Harry?” Jerome asked.

Harry pointed at where it lay on the counter by the goblet he was going to use.

“Five minutes are up,” Severus said, glancing at Jerome’s watch.

Harry carefully ladled a portion of the mixture into the goblet and dropped the feather in. It dissolved almost immediately, and he winced at the weird white swirl it had made in the dirt-brown potion.

“Bottom’s up,” Harry said, and he drunk the potion.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review.