Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 1

Professor Snape swept into Dumbledore’s office, eyeing the room with a sneer playing across his face. The once cluttered tables were now bare of the various magical objects that had once resided there. Severus remembered well hearing about Potter’s little tantrum the day Sirius died. It seems that Dumbledore had never felt up to refurbishing his office. Severus approached the desk where Albus sat, gravely examining an article in the Daily Prophet.

“Sit, Severus,” the weary old man intoned.

Severus nodded and sat in the chintz armchair opposite Dumbledore’s desk. “The Dark Lord has decided to back off for a while,” he said. “He has realized his opposition grows slightly stronger with those Death Eaters in prison and the Ministry alert. He doesn’t want to be rash and lose the power he so recently gained.”

Dumbledore nodded, saying, “I thought this was what would happen. I’ll have to contact Fudge and get him to put some of the top Aurors at Azkaban. He’ll have realized that the dementors have totally turned against him and the prison shall still need high security. There was the mass breakout before, and it can happen again. He’ll see that, obviously. Even he isn’t dense enough not to.”

Snape snorted and muttered, “We should hope not. If he were, I don’t think he would manage to put his clothes on correctly in the morning.”

Dumbledore smiled softly, and said, “Thank you, Severus. You may go; I believe we both need a bit of sleep. Remember that the students shall arrive in three weeks time. Good night.”

“Night, Headmaster.”

Severus left Dumbledore’s office and swept through the many halls of Hogwarts down to his home in the dungeons. He muttered the password (“spy snake”) and entered his small apartment. Perhaps he could finish brewing that potion before he went to sleep. Professor Snape walked over to the cauldron he had hastily left above the fire to boil. He lifted it from the fire and put it on his worktable. Searching his shelves for the proper ingredients, he didn’t notice Fawkes appear in a flash of fire. After a moment, the red and gold phoenix gave a squawk and Severus turned to look at it with surprise. He took the parchment the bird held in its beak and read it.

Severus, It has reached my ears that the Dursley’s are looking for a tutor to up their rather dense son’s very low grades. You know of course that Harry also lives in their home, and this would be a prime way to protect Harry and help him deal with his grief, plus make sure he could be an auror by teaching him potions out of the book. You cannot say no now, I have already sent a letter in the Muggle way, responding to their advertisement in the Muggle newspaper. You will get paid 50 pounds a week, and that means you’ll have 150 pounds to transfer to Galleons when you return to Hogwarts for the school year. Your identity must be kept a secret, so act like a Muggle. You shall be staying with the Dursley’s in their home. You start tomorrow at 7:00 in the morning.

Sincerely,

Albus Dumbledore P.S. I know that this is a bit hurried, but I am desperate for anything that will protect Harry. I am sure that you will find yourself fit for the job.

Severus knew there was no arguing with the esteemed Headmaster, so he simply grumbled curses under his breath and began packing.

Harry sighed. There was to be a tutor at number 4 Privet Drive, and Harry would have to learn all that stupid Muggle stuff. He would never be able to finish his homework from Hogwarts because of Dudley and his stupidity. The doorbell rang and Uncle Vernon snarled, “Get the door, boy. It’s probably that tutor for you and Dudley.”

“Yes, sir,” Harry said, groaning under his breath. He walked slowly to the door and swung it open only to nearly pass out with shock. Upon the doorstep stood no other than Professor Severus Snape, the thing Harry hated most about Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Professor Snape sneered, saying, “Yes its me. Now pick your jaw up off the floor and let me in before I just walk in on my own accord.”

Harry nodded and moved aside so Professor Snape could walk in. Uncle Vernon appeared and said, “Ah, you must be Mr. Snape. Welcome. My nephew will take your things and show you to your room.” He turned to Harry and snapped, “Take his things, boy. He can stay in the room you cleaned out yesterday. Get a move on!”

Harry picked up the small suitcase and led his teacher up the stairs to the guest room usually occupied only by Aunt Marge. Severus wrinkled his nose when he heard Dudley’s snores. “Is he always that loud, Potter?”

“Yes, Professor.”

“Remember, I’m supposed to be a Muggle and you’re supposed to have just met me, so call me Mr. Snape. I will be allowing you to work on Occlumency and Potions, along with a few of your other usual subjects. When is breakfast served around here?” “Whenever Dudley wakes up.”

“I am still your teacher, Potter. Call me sir.”

“Yes, sir.”

Severus took out his wand, and waving it, conjured a piece of toast and a cup of coffee. “That kid had better wake up soon,” he growled.

Harry said, “I doubt he will, sir,” and left the room.

Harry was sitting in the kitchen, staring at the wall, when Snape appeared, followed by Dudley. Snape had a secret smile on his face and Dudley looked sort of surprised. Aunt Petunia looked up at Dudley and said, “You’re up early, ickle Diddykins. Cook the breakfast, boy,” she hissed at Harry. Severus looked a little surprised and he raised his eyebrows at Harry. Harry just glared back at him, then pulled out a pan to cook some eggs. Fifteen minutes later, Harry put a plate of eggs on the table and Aunt Petunia gave everyone a grapefruit quarter. Severus noticed that Harry got the smallest one. Dudley, huge whale that he was, quickly cleaned his plate, finished off the eggs, and began eyeing Harry’s grapefruit quarter. Harry, rolling his eyes, shoved it towards him.

Aunt Petunia looked at her son with glowing eyes and said, “Diddy, you’re going to start your lessons today with Mr. Snape here.”

Snape scowled and Dudley looked up from his plate. “I don’t wanna! Its summer! I don’t wanna learn!”

“Don’t worry, Dudders,” Vernon said loudly, “It’s only for a few weeks and I’ll make sure the boy does more than you. I’ll give you a big present if you’re good.”

“Fine.”

“Mr. Snape,” Uncle Vernon said, “This is my son Dudley, and my nephew, Harry Potter. Harry attends St. Brutus’ for Incurably Criminal Boys. He’s not very bright, so I can understand if you can’t get very far with him. Dudley, on the other hand, is practically a genius.”

“Excellent. Potter, if you’re done with your meal, perhaps you can come on upstairs and begin your studies. Dudley, I expect you to join us as soon as you’re finished. Come along, Mr. Potter.”

Snape led Harry upstairs and to the room he was staying in. Once inside, he locked the door and cast a Silencing Charm over the room. “Whenever you can, bring your wand up here so I can cast a charm on it so you can perform magic without the Ministry knowing. That way, we can still practice Occlumency and other things that you definitely need to work on.”

“Sir, can I ask some questions?”

Snape looked at him for a moment and said, “You may.”

“Is Tonks alright?”

“It’s, ‘Is Tonks alright, sir?’ And she is perfectly fine.”

“Okay sir, and also, why are you here?”

“And why do you ask so many questions? The Dark Lord’s defeat at the Department of Mysteries angered him greatly. Soon, you may need more protection than your mother’s blood can give you. The Dursley’s obviously aren’t giving you everything you need, and I’m here to possibly change that. I had a bad childhood too, and I don’t want that for my- for anyone at all. I don’t think Dumbledore’s thinking about your needs. He’s too concerned with the world’s wants. And if you ever even think I’m going soft, feel sure that I will poison you in every way I know how. I didn’t have to give you that much information and I don’t have to help you learn. Go get your wand so we can do something useful. Go on, hurry up, don’t just stand there gaping!”

Harry snapped out of his daze and nodded, then silently turned and went to his small room down the hall. He pulled up the floorboard under his bed, grabbed his wand, and then returned to the guest room, where Professor Snape sat in a chair, waiting impatiently for his return.