Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: It’s not mine, bozos!
Chapter 4

In his room, Harry curled up on his bed and obediently began reading Penchant for Potions. Part One was more about the theory of Potions than actual instructions, something that Harry had never looked into before. He supposed theory would be a larger part of advanced classes. Harry had just reached Chapter Two, “Herbs in Medicine,” when he heard a tapping at his window. He looked up and saw Ron’s tiny owl, Pigwidgeon, hyper as usual. The sixteen-year-old wizard jumped off his bed, opened the window, and snatched Pig out of the air. He untied the letter from Pig’s leg and then let him loose. He quickly recognized the handwriting used: half was Ron’s, and half was Hermione’s.

Hey Harry! This is Ron. How are you, mate? Lupin told us about your tutor yesterday, and mentioned that he was expecting a letter about him from you soon. We’re at the same place as last summer, and Dumbledore’s stopped by once or twice. He says booklists will be coming soon, once McGonagall’s done working out courses for us sixth years. There hasn’t been any news, they think that You-Know-Who is lying low after his mess-up at the Ministry. The Death Eaters they caught have had their trials, and if I heard right they were all convicted, even Malfoy. Alright, I’m going to let Mione write now. See you soon, I hope!

Ron

The handwriting abruptly switched to Hermione’s neat print. Hi Harry! I hope you’re well and that the Dursley’s are treating you alright. But it doesn’t sound like it- Professor Lupin told us they were getting you and your cousin a tutor. I do hope that the tutor isn’t being too mean and that you have had time to finish all your schoolwork. We haven’t been doing much here, I’ve been helping Ron with his homework since I’ve already finished all mine. There’s a big library and I’ve read a few books that were absolutely fascinating. Professor Lupin has been quieter than usual, and he’s been keeping busy cleaning everything. He’s changed some stuff, so don’t be surprised once you get here. The twins stay at their shop most times, but they visit and come to meetings. Bill’s still got the desk job at Gringotts and stays here; there’s talk that he’s engaged to Fleur. Charlie’s still in Romania, he thinks he might have found a foreign wizard that’s interested in you-know-what. I should think we’ll see you soon, maybe we’ll meet up at Diagon Alley.

Hermione

Harry folded up the letter, satisfied. It was much more detailed than last summer; he supposed Ron and Hermione had thrown caution to the winds and decided to write whatever they wanted. Obviously, Percy hadn’t tried to endear himself to his family, but that didn’t bother Harry. He didn’t think any of the Weasley’s would forgive the Minister’s Junior Assistant for the insults he had laid upon their family. Harry knew he never would. He would write back Ron and Hermione later; he needed to read more of the book and Hedwig was off giving that letter to Remus anyway.

Harry tossed the letter onto his desk, settled back onto his pillow, and found his place in Snape’s book. An hour later, there was a soft knocking at the door, and Professor Snape entered. He had his usual sneer on his face, a little more toned down than usual though.

“Here’s your work, Mr. Potter,” he said, handing the papers to Harry. “I am done checking it, and you’ve done moderately well. Do you have any questions about the book?”

“No, sir. I’ve read through Chapter Five. I do have another question though.”

“Yes?”

“Do you know when exactly we’ll be getting our booklists? And when will I be able to go to Diagon Alley to buy my things?” He quickly added, “Sir?” before Snape could comment.

“I actually already have your booklist, and I will be taking you shopping Wednesday of next week, in exactly ten days, as today is Monday. Once that is done, I will be dropping you off at Headquarters, where you will be staying until the following Monday, when you will be going to Hogwarts.”

“Thank you sir. Would you like me to continue reading, sir?”

“Yes, for a little while longer. Then we’ll talk about resuming Occlumency and go over your homework. I need to write the headmaster.”

Harry nodded, feeling a bit anxious at the thought of beginning Occlumency again. Professor Snape nodded shortly at Harry and swept from the room. Harry ignored the slight feeling of dread in his stomach and read a few more pages. In around fifteen minutes, there was another knock on the door and Snape came in again.

“First let’s go over that homework,” Snape said, sitting down at the chair in front of Harry’s desk.

Harry nodded, “Okay,” and pulled the stack of papers closer.

“Let’s begin with your Transfiguration assignment,” the Potions master said, in a voice that required no contestation.

An hour later, Harry was feeling quite stupid, and the notes on his assignments were growing steadily messier. He was chewing the tip of his quill and his brow was furrowed.

“Let’s take a little break,” Professor Snape suggested, glancing at Harry’s frustrated face. Harry glanced up in shock and Severus sighed. “Do you find it so surprising that I can, in fact, be slightly sympathetic?”

Harry swallowed nervously. “Well, not really... I guess I just thought you always hated Gryffindors.”

“I don’t hate Gryffindors. I just don’t like them very much. And it would be unfair to judge, wouldn’t it?” Snape almost rolled his eyes at the disbelieving look Harry had given him. “I suppose you won’t believe that I don’t like all Slytherins?”

“No,” Harry answered truthfully.

Severus straightened his robes and said, “Well I don’t. And I don’t dislike all Gryffindors.”

“So what Gryffindor do you like? Name one,” Harry demanded, quite bravely, he thought.

“Name one, sir,” Snape insisted. “I like the youngest Weasley, Ginny, I think her name is.” Harry raised his eyebrows. “I do! She’s smart, and doesn’t talk in class, and she isn’t arrogant or stuck-up or a behavior problem like her brothers.” Suddenly brisk, Snape stood and said, “Now, how about we go downstairs and get a drink, rest for a few minutes, and then practice Occlumency for a while. Come on, Potter.”

Professor Snape led a shocked Harry downstairs to the kitchen. Harry had learned a lot of unexpected things from this man he thought he had figured out. So Snape did actually have a heart, and he was willing to admit it, or so it seemed. The Death Eater spy obviously had some reason to suddenly show his nicer side, and Harry wanted to know what it was.

They found a pitcher of lemonade in the fridge, and Harry poured them each a glass. Harry sat at the table and Snape stood, looking out the window at the dull afternoon street. It was pretty lazy looking, only a few kids out to play, and hardly any cars whizzing by. In a few minutes, they returned upstairs, Harry rubbing his palms on his jeans to get rid of the sweat. Snape followed Harry inside his room, shut the door, and murmured a Silencing Charm. Harry nervously pulled out his wand, and prepared himself for an attack on his mind. Both men had their wands raised and ready. Harry was bracing himself and Snape had already started saying the spell- “Legi-“, when the door banged open. In the doorway stood Dudley, looking back and forth at Harry and “Mr.” Snape, eyes growing wide.

Chapter End Notes:
Hahaha, I’m so evil, aren’t I? Do you like it? The Dursley’s have found Snape out! Guess he should’ve thought of a locking charm... Will Snape obliviate the Dursley’s? Will he let them know his true identity? Review please!