Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Dauntless

It was time to see how well Harry could act. Severus finished grading over the break assignments from his fifth years before setting his quill aside and sighing, running a hand through his hair. Any minute now, his first-year students would start arriving for their lecture. They would start discussing the ingredients needed in the Antidote to Common Poisons. In two weeks, he would have the students brew the potion. An understanding of the ingredients would (should) help the students brew a decent potion the first time.

               Severus allowed a small smirk to stretch his lips as he remembered how Harry had complained about needing to finish his essay on inorganic to organic transfiguration.

               “But you know the truth now,” the boy whined. “Do I really have to? It’s so complicated and boring and looooong.”  

               “Quit that infuriating tone,” Severus snapped. “You’re the one who lied to me, so you will deal with the consequences of that and finish what you started. I expect your essay to be four feet and, on my desk, along with the assignment I gave you before break. Is that clear?”

               Harry had grumbled and complained all the way back to Hogwarts but reluctantly agreed to do it. He had yet to see the boy in the last week. Harry was most likely busy catching up with friends and getting homework from his other classes. Severus looked over at the new journal he had begun, replacing the old one that had been fried by the potion’s incident in the attic. He had a new idea - a potion that did not erase memories but instead eased the pain that certain memories caused him. He had a list of ingredients to try out already, many based off healing and memory potions. He would have to thank Harry at some point for destroying all his old work. Perhaps some time in the far future. Now certainly wasn’t the time for such a discussion.

               Noise from the hall caught his attention and Severus put on an annoyed face as the noisy first years made their way to the classroom, many chatting away with friends. Severus put all his work aside and stood, effectively silencing the class and the stragglers still entering. Once everyone sat down, Severus noted that Hermione was in her usual seat, but two boys were missing.

               Growling internally, Severus glanced at the clock then at the doorway. Students used the silence to pull out parchment and quills for notes. An entire minute passed, Severus noted, looking back at the clock. Then the two boys in question ran into the classroom, faces flushed and slight pants escaping their lips.

               “Late for class so soon after returning from break?” Severus asked, glaring at the boys. “Is our hero too incompetent to be on time? Or was there a damsel in distress you had to save before coming to class?”

               “No, sir,” Harry shook his head. “We were just . . .”

               “I don’t want to hear your excuses. You’ve wasted enough time as it is. Five points from Gryffindor. Take your seats.”

               Harry’s face fell and the boy visibly swallowed before nodding and doing as Severus said. He and Ronald sat next to Hermione, who gave them admonishing looks.

               “Pass up your homework on the essential ingredients in the Antidote to Common Poisons,” Severus ordered.

               The students shuffled for the three-foot assignment and handed it to the student in front of them, passing up the papers to the front of the classroom. Severus walked down the front row of students collecting the papers, reaching the end table where the Golden trio sat. He paused long enough to give Harry a disapproving look as he adjusted the pile of papers in his hands. To any other student, it would have looked like the usual sneer he gave the famous Harry Potter. Harry, however, knew better, but he gave Severus an annoyed look, obviously affronted at not being allowed to explain his lateness.

               Severus set the papers on his desk before facing the classroom, folding his arms as he began his lecture.

               “Supposing that you all did the homework correctly, you should be able to tell me a bit about each of the ingredients found in the Antidote to Common Poisons.”

               Hermione’s hand shot up in the air.

               “Unless I have suddenly gone deaf, Miss Granger, I do not believe I asked a question.”

               Hermione lowered her arm slowly, her cheeks red but her eyes held disappointment.

               Severus scanned the classroom, his eyes narrowing on Neville. That buffoon was a disgrace to the great Aurors his parents had been, and like Harry reminded him of James, Neville reminded Severus of the night the Potters were murdered – how easily the two boys’ lives could have been reversed if the Dark Lord had chosen to go after the Longbottoms.

               “Longbottom, tell me what moondew is,” he ordered, ignoring Hermione’s hand that shot up once more.

               “Err,” Neville dropped his quill clumsily, shifting in his seat. “It’s a – a flower . . . a umm, a flowering plant that . . . err . . .”

               “Do you know the answer, Longbottom, or are you going to waste my time with your stammers?”

               Neville blushed furiously. And suddenly, Harry’s hand was in the air with Hermione’s, though the boy’s face seemed hard and determined. Severus frowned, then looked over at the Slytherin side of the room.

               “Mr. Malfoy, an answer if you would.”

               Draco blinked before saying, “it’s a flowering plant that produces nectar commonly used in different potions, sir.”

               “Precisely, five points to Slytherin.” Several students smiled while other rolled their eyes and muttered about unfairness. “The Moondew is a highly valued plant native to the remote areas of Scotland and some parts of Ireland. Its nectar is highly sought after as a valuable ingredient in many sleeping potions. With careful maintenance, the plant can be grown in suitable greenhouses. One of the greenhouses here does have a good cluster thanks to the exceptional care of Professor Sprout. Does anyone know who discovered the magical properties of the moondew and when?”

               Hermione raised her hand once more, waving it slightly.

               “No one?” Severus glanced around the room, ignoring Hermione. “It should have been mentioned in your homework.”

               Harry raised his hand as well.

               “This truly is disappointing,” Severus continued. He was about to answer his own question when Harry’s voice cut through the air.

               “Why don’t you call on someone with their hand raised?”

               Everyone snapped their heads in Harry’s direction, Severus glaring.

               “Telling me how to run my classroom, are we, Mr. Potter?”

               “No. Just telling you how to be fair.”

               The classroom was dead silent, several students too afraid to breathe. Hermione and Ron were staring wide-eyed at Harry. Severus stalked over to the boy’s table, Harry’s defiant eyes never straying away from Severus’s stern eyes.

               “While I’m sure you are used to being the center of attention in all your other classes just as your father was,” Severus began, his voice low and threatening, “you will find that I am very fair in making sure no one is treated any different from the next student. You may think you are above the rest of us, but I assure you, Potter, you are just another annoying brat.”

               Harry’s eyes were flaming, and the boy’s glare deepened.

               “Another word from you, Potter, and I will take points. Understand?”

               Harry didn’t reply. He stared down at his desk.

               “Potter, do you understand?”

               “You said,” Harry glared at Severus, “another word, and you’d take points. Do you understand yourself, Professor? So how many points will it be?”

               Severus bit down on his tongue. How dare that insolent, cheeky, imprudent brat. And in front of his entire classroom. Severus knew he was being hard on Harry and the rest of the Gryffindors, but he had informed Harry of what needed to be done. That did not give Harry any right to behave in such a manner during class.

               “You will stay after class,” Severus said.

               “What about the points you’re taking?”

               “Potter . . .”

               “Are you giving me special treatment by not taking points? I thought you wanted to treat everyone fair so . . .”  

               “Detention, Potter!” Severus snapped. He leaned forward so he was nearly nose to nose with Harry, his black eyes glaring deep in to Harry’s green ones. “Was that fair enough for you?”

               Harry glared back but kept quiet.

               “You will stay after class,” Severus said, using the tone that promised a more severe punishment if Harry kept up his attitude. “And any more interruptions from you will land you a week’s worth of detentions. Am I clear, Mr. Potter?”

               “Yes, sir.”

               “Good. You are to remain silent for the rest of this class.” Standing tall, Severus noticed several students giving him and Harry odd looks. He glared at the class, his anger still stirring around inside him. “Anyone else who’d like to add cheeky comments, I suggest you do so now. No? Then let’s continue our lecture.”   

               It was a long lecture and everyone was glad to escape the tense atmosphere in the dungeons, some still whispering about Harry’s display and how furious Professor Snape was now. Well, everyone who could escape. Harry remained, sitting at his desk, his head rested on his arms. When the last student left, Severus finished arranging a few things on his desk and putting away the samples of moondew he had brought out from the supply closet. Once he was sure everything was organized, he turned his attention to Harry, who didn’t even bother to lift his head as Severus glowered down at him in front of the desk.

               “What was the meaning of that awful behavior you displayed?”

               “Nothing,” Harry muttered, not looking at the man.

               “You will show me the respect of looking at me, young man,” Severus said. When Harry didn’t move, Severus leaned into his hands on Harry’s desk and enunciated every word. “Look at me.”

               Harry huffed before sitting up straight and crossing his arms.

“How dare you behave in such a manner? I told you what to expect when school starts back up and this is how you react? You cannot do this every class, or you will set everyone behind schedule. You wasted ten minutes of my class time because of your outburst, and I will not stand for it.”

               “I didn’t know you were going to be as mean as before,” Harry said. “You were awful! I know you said it’s acting, but I thought you might lighten up, but you were nothing but an arsehole.”

               Severus was speechless for less than a full twenty seconds. He grabbed Harry by the arm and yanked the boy out of his seat, dragging him over to the brewing tables. He lifted the boy and deposited him on the table, Harry suddenly wary of what was about to happen, though glad he hadn’t been smacked yet.

               “I think it’s time for another lesson, Potter,” Severus growled, summoning an empty vial. He turned on a nearby sink and filled the vial with water. When it was half filled, Severus turned the faucet off and pulled out his wand. “There is a spell that changes the flavor of any liquid to any desired taste. So, what shall it be, Potter, to wash that mouth of yours? A sour lemon? The taste of dirt, maybe?”

               Harry’s eyes widened and he shook his head.

               “I’m sorry, sir, I didn’t mean to say that, honest.”

               “Then I suggest you learn to control your temper. Dishwash soap, perhaps?”

               “No, I get it. I won’t swear again.”

               “Bar soap, it is, then.” Severus decided, flicking his wand at the vial. He handed it to Harry, who used both hands to cover his mouth, shaking his head. “You will take this. Do not swallow, just hold it in your mouth.”

               “No, I’m sorry.”

               “I’m sure.” Severus rolled his eyes. “Take it now or you will go over my knees after this as well.”

               Harry made a pitiful face as he slowly took the vial. He swallowed as he brought the vial to his lips and took in the liquid, his face scrunching up.

               “Remember, do not swallow. It will not harm you, but it may upset your stomach.”

               Harry nodded as he handed back the vial, his eyes watering as he held the awful flavored water in his mouth. He looked pleadingly at Severus, who pulled out a pocket watch. “Two minutes,” the man said. Harry made a noise in the back of his throat, a tear escaping his eye, the bitter taste no doubt stinging his tongue.

               Two minutes passed torturously slow. Finally, Severus nodded and lifted Harry off the table and back to the ground, directing him to the sink. Harry spat out the water and began rinsing his mouth under the faucet, but all too soon, Severus stopped him. The man turned Harry to face him, using a finger under the boy’s chin to tilt his head up.

               “You will never speak to me in such a way again, do you understand me?”

               “Yes, sir.” Harry made a face as the taste of soap lingered on his tongue.

               “You are lucky I have decided not to smack your backside for your behavior today, but you will report to this classroom tonight at seven to clean some cauldrons. Consider yourself lucky I didn’t order you to my office for a kid-lesson smacking.”

               “Yes, sir.”

               “Explain to me why you acted out so. I’m sure you knew I would not tolerate such behavior in my classroom.”

               “I know, but you were being so mean, and I thought you had changed and everything, I just . . . I hated it. I wish it could be like it was over break.”

               Severus sighed.  

               “There are reasons it cannot be, Harry,” he said, his tone calmer. “You will need to learn to control your temper in these settings. I cannot allow you to start acting out or it will appear suspicious. As if I’m suddenly favoring you.”

               “You are, kind of.”

               “I’ll pretend I did not hear that.”

               Harry offered a small smile.

               “I know this isn’t easy, but we will work on it.” Severus rested a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Together.”

               “How do you do it? And you don’t really think I like being the center of attention, do you?”

               “I now know you do not. And I have years on my side, experience and practice. I will teach you methods to help calm yourself when I start getting under your skin, which I will do in the future. That is your warning, so be prepared to accept it.”

               “I’m sorry I acted out. I don’t like when you pick on my friends or take points from them.”

               “Everyone needs to learn and some need to learn to speak loud and clear. Others need to learn to stop being so insufferable.”

               “Maybe if you were nicer . . .”

               “Maybe if I were nicer,” Severus repeated and snorted at the idea. “You are amusing.”

               “I’m serious.”

               “I know. That’s what makes you amusing. Remember, if you ever need to talk and get some things off your chest, even if it is telling me what an awful professor I am, my door is always open to you. It might help with that temper when class is in session.”

               “I’ll keep that in mind,” Harry said. “Are you still considering the guardianship thing? I know I was terrible and all . . .”

               “I am still very much considering it. You have nothing to fear about that.”

               “I told Ron and Hermione. I hope that was okay.”

               Severus took a deep breath, thinking it over. Naturally, Harry would tell his friends, though he wished the boy had asked him first, but what was done was done. Besides, the Golden trio stuck together well. And Harry needed someone to vent to about the miserable guardian he would be stuck with soon enough.  

               “As long as they can keep it secret. No one else is to know without my permission.”

               “I won’t tell anyone else. Thanks for understanding.”  

               “Hmm. It is nearing lunch, you should catch up with your friends. I will see you later.”

               “Yeah. See you later, professor.”

               Once the door to the classroom shut behind Harry, Severus decided he would speak with Albus about his plans to pursue guardianship. He had put it off long enough now, and he knew he shouldn’t wait much longer. It might turn into a long process and he would need the headmaster’s help if he was to be granted permission. And if he was declined . . . he needed a plan B. He would have to think on it. Somehow, Harry would become his.

               No matter what laws he might have to break.