Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Disorderly

A few days later, Severus and Albus met with the Minister in the man’s office for an arranged meeting—courtesy of Albus and his status. This way, Fudge would be focused only on the matter at hand and not the thousands of other issues begging for the man’s attention. However, Fudge did not seem impressed.

               “If this is about the Potter boy again, could this have not waited until our next consultation with Umbridge?” Fudge said as he entered the room, taking a seat at the head of the table.

               “Umbridge violated our agreement to never speak to Harry without my permission,” Severus was quick to snap. “And to add injury to insult, she struck Harry and left marks.”

               “As if that is what truly concerns you, Snape,” Fudge said, glaring at the man. He sighed as he glanced down at the parchment Albus handed to him. “So, you’re filing a complaint and would like Umbridge removed off this case? And who should I allow to take over? This isn’t just any boy we’re dealing with . . .”

               “But a boy, all the same,” another voice said from the entryway.

               A middle-aged woman walked through the doorway, dropping her stacks of paperwork on the table before sliding into her seat as if she owned the room. She tucked a strand of wavy blonde hair behind an ear as she accepted a copy of the parchment Albus had handed to Fudge. She reviewed the words, nodding, before looking up at Fudge’s confused face.

               “Ah, yes, sorry,” the woman said, holding out a hand to shake the Minister’s. “Carys Cardiff, director of Solaris Family Services in Wales.”

               “I see,” Fudge said, pulling his hand away from Carys’. He glared at Albus and Severus. “And who brought you here?”

               “Harry Potter,” Carys said, happily taking Fudge’s copy of the parchment and signing where she was indicated to. “You see, a child only becomes a ward of the Ministry when family services fail to find a good placement. And investigations on foster parents or guardians can only be processed following concerns, allegations, or a complaint from a credible eye-witness account, not based on a guardians’ history or hearsay. And any adoption, traditional, legal, or magical, is to be registered with family services. Of course, this is only the law, which you gentlemen are all aware of, correct?”

“Of course, I know the law!” Fudge said, taking the parchment back as well as a second parchment that Carys handed him. He slowly and carefully read the words of legal jargon. “What is this nonsense?”

“This is our new agreement,” Carys said, pulling out a fresh parchment and scribbling down on it. “Professor Dumbledore and I shared a few words on the situation and I find that this case has been awfully handled. I will be overseeing it from this point forward for the safety and welfare of the child. Seeing how you’ve allowed injury to befallen upon the boy, I believe it is in your best interest to sign this new agreement, as well as the complaint against your undersecretary. I will personally be making sure that justice is served for that woman’s crimes.”

“Now listen here, ma’am,” Fudge growled. “What gives you the right to come into this room and tell me how things are going to be?”

“As of now, Harry Potter is a child under Solaris’s care, and I will decide myself if Severus Snape is a qualifiable guardian for him.”

“The Boy-Who-Lived is a special matter that needs secrecy and . . .”

“The boy is still a child and regardless of his prestigious accomplishments, no politics are needed in the placement of a child. This will be handled in secrecy, under me and me alone in my business, and it will be handled with a little more tender, love, and care that your ministry officials are not capable of giving. I’ve handled several cases with orphans, adoptions, and foundlings—I know what I am doing. Harry Potter will be treated no differently.”

“You think I’m just going to let you walk out of here with this case?”

“I do, actually,” Carys said, nodding her head. She reached over and tapped the parchments in front of Fudge demandingly for his signatures. “Because if you don’t, I will release every detail about this case to the public and I’m sure that would not look well on our Minister of Magic, don’t you think?”

Fudge glared at the parchments in front of him, then glanced at Severus and Albus. Albus was siting back in his seat with twinkling eyes, while Severus had a smug look on his face; he was impressed by Albus’s friend.

Fudge sat back in his own seat, lifting the parchments and reading them thoroughly in silence, shuffling the pages now and then. Severus looked across the table at Carys, who was busy taking notes on who knew what. Severus resisted a sigh as he waited for Fudge to finish reading. It couldn’t have been more than four pages at most. What on earth was taking so long?

“Very well,” Fudge finally spoke, picking up a quill and signing his name. “I will see to Madame Umbridge’s trial and make my displeasure known. As far as Harry Potter, I trust you will handle this case with the upmost confidentiality, and I would like to be notified of your final decision.”

“I’m sure I can owl you the information,” Carys said, accepting her parchment while Albus accepted his. “That will be all, Minister.”

Fudge opened his mouth but thought better of what he was going to say and shut it. He stood with an air of superiority, adjusting his bowler hat and walking out of the room with his chin held high. Carys stood with her paperwork, piling it all into a case. Albus and Severus stood as well, rounding the table.

“Thank you very much, Carys,” Albus said, shaking her hand. “You have done so well since you graduated Hogwarts. It is good to see such success in my students.”

“Thank you, Professor,” Carys said. “It is good to see you as well. I’m glad to help.”

“Yes, thank you,” Severus said, holding out his hand to Carys.

“Hmm,” Carys said, crossing her arms and giving the man a critical look. “I don’t know about you, sir. You’ve yet to grace my good books.”

“What have I done? We haven’t even met.”

“Besides performing an illegal blood adoption?”

“Are you forgetting who aided in that? And it wasn’t illegal when we did it.”

“It’s still an arbitrary practice and you did not register it with any family service in the UK upon completion. I will be expecting you and the child Saturday—that is three days from now—and I will interview you and the boy personally in my office at two pm sharp. Is that clear?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Severus was surprised he managed to keep the growl out of his voice.

“Good. Until then. Good day, Professors.”

With that, Carys left the room with as much an air of superiority as Fudge had had.

“That’s who’s going to help me keep Harry?” Severus snapped at Albus.

“Easy, my boy,” Albus said, patting Severus on the shoulder. “Remember what I said: Carys wants what is best for Harry. And she will see that you are good for the boy. You will pass this interview, as will Harry, and she will put you at the top of her good books.”

“Sure, she will. Just show her the best of you, Severus. You’ll impress her.”

“We’ll see about that.”

 

Severus had been hoping to sleep on how he would impress the family services director. He had just been dozing off when Minerva floo called him.

“What in Merlin’s name could you possible want at midnight!” Severus snapped as he walked out into his living room, glaring at the fireplace. “What is so important that it couldn’t wait until the morning?”

“Stargazing, apparently!” Minerva snapped back. “I just caught three Gryffindors and one of your Slytherins out of bed roaming around the astronomy tower at this time of night to stargaze! And Mr. Malfoy was out trying to catch the others, but he went on about how there was a dragon and all. A dragon! The stories these kids come up with. They claim its what bit Ronald Weasley, after all.”

“And where would they have found a dragon?” Severus couldn’t help but roll his eyes at this preposterous idea.

“There wasn’t. I’m sure the others simply told Mr. Malfoy such nonsense to get him in trouble and were hoping to watch the show. I’ve taken fifty points each from all of them.”

“Fifty?” Severus said, raising an eyebrow. Minerva was definitely furious with those children. He was impressed. “Let me guess: Potter was one of the wide-eyed stargazers?”

“Yes, he was one of them. What does that matter? What am I going to do with these children?”

Severus stroked his chin, a small smirk on his face. He knew what he would do with at least Harry, but he figured he’d leave this escapade to Minerva. Fifty points each? She was already on a roll. And setting her house way behind his as far as house points. He would be claiming that House Cup at the end of the school year for sure. He couldn’t wait to rub it in the older woman’s face.  

“What do you suppose would be a fitting punishment for those troublemakers?” he asked the woman.

“Oh—I don’t know,” Minerva huffed, sighing. “Hagrid has been asking for some assistance searching for some inured unicorns in the forest. Perhaps I’ll ship them off to him for the night.”

“You want to send first years off into the forbidden forest at night?” Severus asked.

“They’ll be with Hagrid.”

“That’s very reassuring.” Severus said. “Might I remind you that one of those students is under my house and care? Whatever shall I tell his parents about this punishment?”

“I don’t care what you tell them—the boy broke several school rules tonight and he will perform whatever punishment is assigned to him. If he’s so willing to break the school rules, then this should remind him why there are rules to begin with. The forest will scare them enough that they’ll never want to venture back in there.”

“I think you have the wrong impression of those troublemakers.”

“Well, what else am I supposed to do? How can I impress upon them the seriousness of their actions? As it is, letters will be sent to their parents and guardians. Unless you’d rather have me string them by their toes and hang them from the ceiling in the dungeons? That would be your preferred punishment, wouldn’t it? Save for Mr. Malfoy, who’ll you’ll what, take ten points from?”

“I’d hang them all after they’ve scrubbed my lab clean with their toothbrushes,” Severus said. Then he sighed and shook his head. His mind was far from dealing with Draco’s parents. He was thinking about the danger Harry might be in should the boy enter that forest with only Hagrid as a guard. But there was no use arguing over punishments with his co-worker. He would at least send his patronus out to keep an eye on Harry and the others. It would alert him to any danger. He could live with that. And once he got his hands on that child, he would be demanding the truth about tonight.

“I guess your trip to the forest will have to do. But if they ever dare enter that forest after this night, I get to decide their next punishment. And it will be hanging from the ceiling.”  

“Well, then it’s settled. I am having Mr. Malfoy escorted to the Slytherin Common Room by Filch. He should be there if not in bed already. Goodnight to you, Severus.”

The next day, Severus stalked down the halls hoping to cross paths with Harry. As he had not had class with the boy or a run in recently, there was no reason to call him down to his office. He could only hope he chanced upon the brat in between classes.

And luck was with him that day.

He spotted Harry and Miss Granger walking toward the Charms classroom.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said, stopping the two. He motioned to Hermione to keep going. “A word with you.”

Harry nodded at Hermione, who slowly walked away. Once it was Severus and Harry alone in the hall, Severus narrowed his eyes at Harry.

“Fifty points from Gryffindor?” Severus asked a lifted brow.

Harry remained silent, suddenly finding his shoes very interesting. Severus allowed the silence for a few seconds before clearing his throat. Harry glanced up at the man through his fringe.

“And what was so fascinating last night that you could not stay in bed?”

“We had something important to do,” Harry said, “for Hagrid.”

“Hagrid? Hagrid is an adult and can take care of himself. What on earth did the man need you to do?”

“He had a dragon and that’s the truth,” Harry said. “Professor McGonagall didn’t believe us, but it is true. Someone gave it to him in order to get information to get past Fluffy!”

Severus felt his heart stop and his eyes widened. He made several realizations at once. One, Harry had been telling the truth about there being a dragon in the castle. Two, Draco must have seen it, but had not even had the decency to tell an adult until it was too late. Three, Hagrid told someone how to get past the first obstacle. And four, the boy had not left this situation alone as he had asked. Severus crossed his arms and glared at Harry.

“What have I told you about that dog and concerning yourself with it?”

“Not to. But it’s not like I was trying! And Professor McGonagall already gave us detention for this anyway and she took fifty points from all of us.”

“She didn’t punish you for disobeying me,” Severus said.

“That’s not fair! I didn’t know this would have anything to do with the dog when the dragon hatched.”

“You should have come to me as soon as you discovered that Hagrid had a dragon. You should have allowed other adults to deal with Hagrid, not go lollygagging in the castle at midnight. What were you thinking—dealing with a dragon? I hear it was the dragon that injured Mr. Weasley, what if that had been you?”

“Ron’s doing better,” Harry said.

“Oh, so that makes it okay, then? My apologies. I thought dragon harboring was illegal, not legal unless it kills you.”

“I was just trying to help.”

“You endangered your life and broke several school rules. How is that helping anyone?”

Harry’s face was turning red and the boy glared up at Severus. “Hagrid could have gotten in trouble if we told any adults—”

“So, you knew what you were doing wasn’t allowed? If I were you, I wouldn’t say another word. As it is, I am being very lenient allowing Professor McGonagall to handle this bout of misbehavior. I do not want to hear of anymore, especially when we are meeting with family services this Saturday. I would hate to have to punish you and make sitting through your meeting very uncomfortable.”

“I bet you would,” Harry muttered.

“Are you giving me cheek, Potter?”

“No, sorry sir.”

“No, you’re not giving me cheek and yet you’re apologizing.”

“I said sorry. I didn’t know what else to do with the dragon. I never had anyone to go to before and even when I did, everyone usually ignored me anyway.”

“Hmm,” Severus hummed, his heart softening just a bit. “I’ll let this slide, seeing how your Head has taken a considerable amount of house points and assigned you detention. I would like you to learn to come to me in the future should you encounter situations like this. I could have helped you, or at the least Hagrid. Don’t you trust me?”

“Yeah, but . . .” Harry shrugged his shoulders. “It’s hard to go to you sometimes. You’re not exactly easy to . . . umm—”

“Talk to?” Severus supplied.

Harry nodded. “I don’t like disappointing you and I don’t like it when you’re angry with me. And you’re pretty easy to anger.”

“I see. I will work on that.” Severus put a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “I do not mean to discourage you from finding me when you need me most. I want you to be able to trust that I will always have your best interest in mind. But you need to work with me and come to me should you have a problem. Understand.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you for understanding.”

“Of course. Now, get to class. You do not want to be late.”

“I’d only be late because of you.”

“You have five seconds to get out of my sight before I take more points from Gryffindor. Five. Four. Three . . .”

Harry had disappeared around the corner by the count of four.      

 

Exactly three days after the meeting with Fudge and Carys, at one-thirty in the afternoon, Severus and Harry flooed to Solaris Family Services. It was a silent office building, no other workers appeared to be around. Carys had been quick to pull Harry into her office. Severus sat in the waiting room, constantly checking the muggle watch he wore that day. An hour passed before the woman finally opened her door and motioned Severus inside.

“Harry is admiring the fish tank in the children’s playroom while we have our meeting.”

Severus nodded and took a seat in front of the woman’s desk, waiting as she seated herself and began firing questions.

“Full name.”

“Severus Tobias Snape.”

“Home address?”

“One-twenty-four Spinner’s End, Cokeworth, England.”

“Place of work?”

“Hogwarts.”

“Profession?”

“Potions Master.”

And so they continued, question after question, Severus doing his best to remain honest, even when the woman brought up his Death Eater history. She had seemed understanding, and Severus was not about to question her on it. Then came the tough questions.

“How often do you drink alcohol?”

Severus paled at the question. It had gotten him in trouble before, after all.

“I am . . . recently quitting the drink.”

“Are you? How often did you drink in the . . . past? A glass once a week? A glass every night? A glass twice a day?”

“I never had a set routine,” Severus snapped, feeling a spark of anger flicker in his chest at her pushing. Did she need to know the exact amount? Wasn’t admitting to drinking enough?

“I see. Have you ever been incapacitated around Harry Potter?”

               “I . . .”

               “Let me help you answer that,” Carys said, pulling out a small box from her desk and tapping it with her wand. A small holographic-like image of Harry in the same seat Severus sat in now appeared. The boy was frowning as he listened to Carys’ question.

               “Has he ever been incapacitated in front of you?”

               “You mean like drunk?” Harry asked. Carys must have nodded since Harry answered with a shake of his head and said “No.”

               “You realize that if I discover you are lying, there will be severe penalties for it, such as denying Professor Snape’s request to adopt you.”

               “Please don’t do that. It was one night and nothing bad happened. He said he would get better and give it up for good. He was really upset but he’s usually very good about it. That’s not a lie, I promise.”

               The hologram flickered before disappearing. Crays gave Severus a pointed look. The man sighed and nodded.
               “It was one night. Very recently, actually. I was stressed about the situation with the Ministry and I let Umbridge’s words get to me. I know that does not excuse my actions, but I made a promise with Harry that I would try to recover and give up the drink permanently. I just need more time and . . .”

               For once, Severus wasn’t sure what to say. He wasn’t sure how he could convince this woman that he would never touch a drop of alcohol again after already having a recent incident.

               “How recent was this incident?” Carys asked, scribbling away on her parchment.

               “A week ago,” Severus answered.

               Carys’ head snapped up and her eyes me Severus’s. She sighed and shook her head, scribbling on her parchment. She tapped the quill on the page she was writing on before setting the quill down and running a hand down her face. She tucked a strand of hair back behind her ear before picking up her quill and staring down at the parchment.

               Severus waited patiently, his heart hammering in his throat. He was about to lose the case, he just knew it. The woman had to do the right thing, and she was trying hard to convince herself to do what was right. That was the problem, he knew it had to be so.

               “My sister,” Carys finally said, lowering her quill, “struggled with alcohol abuse. The day I took her children away from her, she died in an accident after getting behind the wheel drunk. I still wonder if she would have done the same if I had not taken her children. She really had been trying before. But what if she had relapsed anyway, and with her children in the car?”

               Severus said nothing, wondering how Carys’ experience would affect her decision.

               “I really want to believe that you are what’s best for the boy. I think you two have a beautiful connection. And I want to approve this adoption for you . . .”

               Carys sighed and was silent for a long moment before nodding and writing something down.

               “Against my better judgment, I will approve this adoption for you. But you must remain sober. You are to attend at least twelve AA group sessions and I will be checking in on you once every month for three months and then once six months for two years. In that time, if you slip, I have every right to revoke this adoption and remove the child.”

               “Yes, of course, thank you!” Severus said, sitting up straighter in his chair. His heart refused to slow down at the news. A genuine smile spread across his face. Carys handed him a slip with his instructions, local AA groups in his home area and near Hogwarts. “Thank you so much.”

               “Of course, I will make unannounced visits, so those dates are not listed. I would like you to have attended at least two sessions before our next meet, so you better get on those.”

               “I will.”

               “I am being very generous and very lenient with you, sir. Do not disappoint me.”

               “I will not. Thank you so much, ma’am.”

               “You shouldn’t thank me,” Carys smiled, tapping the small box with her wand once more.

               This time, the hologram showed a smiling Harry and Severus couldn’t help but blush at the boy’s words.

               “But’s he’s not all that bad, really. He can be very loving when he wants to be. Like lots of hugs and kisses—it’s really overbearing sometimes. It’s okay though. I’ve never had someone care so much about me before.”

               Later that afternoon, back in Severus’s quarters at Hogwarts, Severus couldn’t help but smile along with Harry at the adoption certificate Harry held up to read. It had Harry’s new name: Harry James Potter-Snape, although he could not use his name publicly.

               “I was informed by Professor Dumbledore that Umbridge has been fined for child cruelty and is enjoying her three months stay in Azkaban as we speak.”

               “Really?” Harry asked. “That seems like a lot for a few smacks with a ruler.”

               “You think so? I hardly believe its enough time.”

               “Well, I’m glad she got what was coming for her,” Harry said. “And I’m even more glad that I’m officially and legally adopted. This is the best day ever!”

               “That reminds me,” Severus said, leaning down to whisper in Harry’s ear, “I can be overbearing, hmm?”

               Harry’s eyes widened. “She told you!?”

               “Let me show you how loving I can be,” Severus growled, reaching for the boy, but Harry had already taken off for his bedroom. Severus smirked. He’d get the back for that later, he supposed.

               “Change into Muggle clothes,” Severus called to the boy. “We are going out to celebrate your adoption officially this time.”

 

“Right this way, gentlemen,” the waitress said as she led Severus and Harry to a booth in the back of the restaurant.

“Thank you,” Severus said as he took his seat, Harry excitedly sliding into his side of the booth.

“Would you like a kids’ menu?” the waitress asked.

Harry’s nose scrunched up and he shook his head. “No, thank you. The adult menu is fine.”

“Of course,” the waitress smiled, handing them both a menu and quickly explaining the specials before giving them a minute to decide on drinks and food. Severus smirked at Harry as he opened the menu.

“It’s not too late to change your mind about that kids’ menu,” Severus said. “I think kids’ eat free tonight.”

“Ha-ha. I’m not a kid anymore. I’m practically an adult now.”

“Yes, and we adults call the menu the ‘adult menu.’”

Harry’s cheeks reddened but he muttered under his breath and hid behind the menu, browsing through his options. Severus snorted but glanced at the menu himself. He already knew what he wanted—the same he usually got at this restaurant. The spaghetti and meatball special. It was a simple classic but his favorite, nonetheless.

He also glanced at the drink options, trying hard to ignore the beer section. He eyed the muggle fizz drinks with distaste before sighing and resorting to a simple tea. He glanced at Harry, who seemed to be struggling with the vast options of entrees.

“What do you think, Harry?” Severus asked. “Anything in particular you would like?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t had a lot of this stuff. They don’t serve any of this at Hogwarts.”

“Yes, they do,” Severus countered, setting down his menu. “I believe you tend to gravitate to the same food options on the table each night, however.”

“Well, there’s always so much, I never know what I want to eat. It’s easier to get the same thing.”

“Doesn’t it ever get boring?”

“Not the way I eat them.”

Severus snorted, a smile playing on his lips when the waitress came back.

“May I get your drinks and have you both decided on what you would like from the menu?” she asked.

“I’ll have a tea and the spaghetti and meatball special. Harry?”

Severus and the waitress looked at Harry.

Harry lifted the menu up more and stared intently his eyes flickering everywhere.

“I’ll have the uh . . . I’ll take a coke and err—the spaghetti and meatball special.”

Severus lifted an eyebrow at the boy, a smirk on his face while the waitress nodded and scribbled down their orders and collecting their menus, taking off quickly. Severus glanced over at the one sheet drink menu longingly as the waitress left. It had been a week since he had last had a drink (or gotten drunk, as was the case), and he was already starting to feel the withdrawal symptoms. It wouldn’t hurt to wean himself off the alcohol, would it? Just one small glass while they were out to dinner never incapacitated anyone, right?

“Hey, Dad.”

Severus snapped his head back to Harry. The boy had found a pen and was drawing on his tabletop paper. He had started a game of tic-tac-toe. The boy smiled at him as he shoved the paper at Severus, saying, “Your turn.”

Severus smiled, and drew a circle under the x. The two played several games of tic-tac-toe, tying in many games, Severus managing to win three games, and Harry managing to catch the man off-guard in one. It brought many laughs, and some looks of surprise. By the time the two called a truce, their dinners arrived, and Harry’s eyes grew wide at the amount of spaghetti and meatballs set in front of him.

“Now, you do not have to eat it all,” Severus said, digging into his own dish, cutting up a meatball. “Just eat what you can. We can take the rest home for later.”

               “I like that idea,” Harry said, still trying to figure out how to get the long strands of noodle on the fork.

               Severus demonstrated one tactic by twirling his fork in the noodles and taking his first bite. Harry copied, taking his own first bite of his first spaghetti dinner. The boy had to keep biting in order t get all the noodled off the fork and in his mouth. Severus couldn’t keep the smile off his face as he watched Harry eat the noodles. He had the odd notion that perhaps he should take a picture to save the moment, but he had no device that would do so, and he waved the feeling off as being a sentimental new parent.

               Harry learned that he could slurp the noodles pretty quickly, and on one slurp, the end of the noodle struck his nose, surprising the boy. Harry laughed while Severus shook his head and used a napkin to wipe the boy’s face, earning an indignant look.

               “You are quite messy with this,” Severus said, pointedly eyeing the sauce stains on the boy’s shirt. “Perhaps I should have considered a bib.”

               “I didn’t know it would be this bad,” Harry said, taking a small bite of a cut up meatball. He looked at Severus and frowned. “How come you didn’t get any on you?”

               “Because I know how to eat food without getting it all over me.”

               “Well, I do, too. Most of the time.”

               “I’m sure with practice you’ll get much better at eating this without getting it all over your face.”

               “It is really good,” Harry said, slurping more spaghetti before picking up his napkin and removing the sauce he could feel. “I think I’m getting full, though.”

               “Then set it aside. I think we should check our dessert options.”

               “This is a lot of leftovers.”

               “That’s all right. Let’s see, they have tiramisu, panna cotta, a cannoli cheesecake—now doesn’t that sound delectable? What do you think?”

               “I guess the last thing you said.” Harry was still absently using the napkin to unsuccessfully remove the stains on his shirt.

               “You know you don’t have to get everything I do, correct?”

               “Sorry, I can pick something else . . .”

               “It’s not that, Harry. I just want to make sure that you’ll pick something you like.”

               “I like cannoli. I think I’ll like the cheesecake. There’s just so many options on the menu and all, it’s hard to pick one thing.”

               “So, you fall back on me?” Severus raised an amused eyebrow.

               “Sorry.”

               “I’m not mad. You’ve no reason to apologize. I think in the future, we’ll eat out more often, and you’ll become accustomed to deciding off the menu yourself. I think you and I can share the cannoli cheesecake.”

               When the cheesecake arrived, Harry licked his lips and picked up one of the spoons, stealing as much of the whipped cream off the top as he could. Severus used his own spoon to smack Harry’s away, but the boy shoved the spoonful of whipped cream in his mouth with a cheeky smile.

               “Insolent brat,” Severus grumbled, earning a chuckle from the boy.