Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Aconite

The snitch was just out of his reach. Harry stretched his arm out as far as he could while gripping the broom with his other hand. His fingertips grazed the snitch's wings. He was so close. He could hear the cheering of the students below him, the excited cheers of the Slytherins and Gryffindors as they rooted on their teams, and the loud, chilly wind as it blew around him. Just a little closer . . .

Gotcha!

Harry pulled his broom to a stop and held up his hand in victory.

The crowds below him went crazy.

Harry smiled as he hovered high above the stands. He glanced in the direction of the greenhouses, wishfully hoping that Ajax may be watching. Wishful thinking indeed. There was no sign of Ajax near the greenhouses, nor near the edges of the forest. Ajax had not been around at all this last week – Harry knew cause despite what the centaur had told him, he went out to the greenhouses each night in hoped that Ajax would return. The centaur had yet to appear. Disappointed, Harry sighed, but then smiled and flew down to the ground, happily joining his friends on the field. He had won his first game for Gryffindor.

After a long week of being checked over by Madam Pomfrey, Harry was glad to finally be free of her incessant care. It had taken quite a bit of pleading in order to get her to allow him to play as Seeker for his team. Considering there was no reserve seeker, Harry would have felt as though he was letting down his team if he didn't play. Madam Pomfrey was more concerned about his concussion than the game, but when her diagnostics concluded that Harry was completely healed, she finally agreed to allowing the boy to play.

Meanwhile, inside the castle, Severus watched the events out the infirmary window. He still had some injuries from the centaur attack in the forest, but they were all slowly healing nicely. The healing process was taking longer due to his nightly transformations, which agitated and reopened the wounds over and over. Thankfully, Poppy found a rapid healing potion kit and began applying several potions to Severus's wounds. The main one left that still needed treatment was a gash near his shoulder.

By perhaps the middle of next week, Severus should be completely healed. He knew Poppy would want to keep him around just to make sure his transformation didn't cause any more damage once the wound on his shoulder healed.

Severus watched as the young boy landed on the pitch, surrounded by his team who lifted Harry up onto their shoulders. The boy smiled happily, the snitch still in his grasp as he held it up triumphantly.

Severus was well aware that Harry went out each night by the greenhouses in hopes of seeing Ajax. He had watched the boy from this same window, anxiously hoping that nothing decided to attack the boy. Honestly, what was wrong with children? He specifically told Harry to stay away from the forest and to not go out to their meeting spot. Couldn't that child listen for just once in his life?

There was nothing Severus could do, however. Even if something had attacked the boy. He was limited to the use of his wand from a distance should anything stir in the trees. And while the distance made aim difficult, Severus watched the boy nonetheless, keeping an eye open for potential predators, and his wand trained on Harry to cast a protective shield if need be. The boy was lucky nothing tried to take advantage of such easy bait.

Although, it also had Severus thinking about explanations if he did have to cast a shield. Harry would surely wonder who exactly had cast it. Oh well. Better safe than sorry. The boy could live with unanswered questions in his life. It wouldn't kill him – in fact, it'd save his life.

Severus was glad that the week had passed with no incident. Despite the brat's reckless endangering of his life, the forest seemed rather quiet. Not that Severus was concerned. It was still another week or so till the next full moon and few beasts ever dared to approach a school of well-trained wizards.

The only thing that truly concerned Severus was the centaurs.

They were the reason he was in this hell-hole. Well, the infirmary.

But their attack and threat to Harry was still in the forefront of his mind, eating away at his conscience and reminding him of the grave danger he had unintentionally put the boy in. What was wrong with those creatures? Did they really think he transformed just to insult them; to wound their pride; to mock them?

What happened to him was out of his control. Surely the centaurs would be the most understanding of his situation. But no, they were stubborn beasts with too much self-importance riding on their backs. Heritage was something to uphold, but definitely not to the extent the centaurs took it. At least not in Severus's opinion.

Regardless, Severus would have to be careful in the forest now. He really should just remain indoors as often as he could, hiding away in his quarters, sleeping on his living room floor, and getting more work done when he could. It was easier to remain inside. It was easier to hide himself from all, man and beast included. Even Albus had offered him a secret room in the castle so Severus could safely transform when he had been a student here.

Yet, when he remained quarantined inside for too long, his muscles cramped from the lack of exercise and mobility, making for painful transformations. He could go a week at the most without having to go outside to transform before his muscles started to ache.

Such as today. A week had passed, and he was starting to feel the pain. He would have to transform outside tonight.

He had been in this infirmary for too long.

The first day he had been allowed to leave had been Wednesday, and Severus had made sure to attend to his classes and reschedule the ones he had missed so he could catch his students up to where they needed to be. His deal with Poppy, however, had included returning to the infirmary before his transformation, as healing wounds would always tear apart. Severus would have worried about scarring if Poppy didn't have the scar repair solution on hand.

Now, his wounds were all mostly healed, besides scabs here and there and some minor bruising and the occasional swelling. He was at the infirmary now to pick up a couple potions for wound cleansing. He'd need it later tonight. Hopefully, he'd have no run-ins with the centaurs again.

"Here you are, Severus," Poppy said, coming out of her office with a couple salve jars.

Severus gave an appreciative nod as he accepted the potions, turning his attention back to the field outside. Poppy looked out as well, smiling down at the entire school on the pitch circling around the winning Gryffindor team. She could hear the loud cheers and chants through the window. Her eyes spotted Harry among the crowd.

"He's such a happy boy," she commented. "Even after everything he's been through."

"What are you talking about?" Severus questioned still staring out the window.

"Well, anyone with two working eyes could see that that boy was underfed and malnourished when he arrived. If it hadn't been for my nutrient potions I've been slipping into his pumpkin juice, he'd still be a twig. And besides that, I've seen some old scars and injuries when I scanned him after his Quidditch injury. In my years, I knew instantly by the locations and size that they were not typical, child play accidents."

"He's been abused," Severus stated.

"Most definitely. But he's doing well. He has friends, a great education coming his way, . . . you."

Severus sighed when Poppy included him. "Shouldn't you report this?"

"Report it?" Poppy's eyebrows shot up. She shook her head as she walked around the infirmary, tiding up beds and waving her wand to scrub the floors. "I wish I could."

"Why can't you?"

"I've no proof. Believe it or not, old scars and a skinny child does not scream abuse to officials. I would need concrete evidence and of course, words straight from the boy's mouth would be helpful. I've seen many abused children, Severus, and helping them is harder than you would believe. Harder than what it should be."

Poppy swished her wand once more and a rag started cleaning the window Severus stared out of. Poppy stood next to the man once more.

"What has he told you?"

"Me?"

"As Ajax."

"Nothing much about his home life. At least not enough to supply evidence. He mostly talks to me about his day; how it went; what he did; his friends," Severus sighed. "I only allow him to stay out for about fifteen minutes or so. I don't want to risk him being out too late, despite me being there. There is little I can do."

"What about your wand?"

"I don't carry it with me. I've nowhere to put it and I'd rather not expose myself as a wizard so soon."

"I'm sure Harry wouldn't make the connection if he hasn't yet. I mean, how much does he really know about centaurs?"

"He read and memorized three books about them."

Poppy tilted her head amused as she smirked at Severus. "Is that so?"

Severus sighed once more as his eyes followed the moving crowd outside. Cold rain had started falling and everyone was moving back inside. "When those centaurs attacked me, they threatened Harry. I believe they were bluffing, as I'm sure they would never hurt a foal, but one can never be too careful. I think . . . it may be best if I end these meetings with the boy."

"You'll devastate him, Severus," Poppy remarked.

"I know."

Later that night, as the rain fell heavily from the sky, Severus watched as Harry slowly approached the greenhouses. He stayed deep in the trees, knowing the black coat of his centaur body would blend with the natural colors of the forest. And through the rain, it would be even harder to spot him. Harry glanced around, pulling the coat he wore around him tighter. Severus felt bad that the boy had braved the weather in hopes of seeing Ajax, but Severus refused to move. He kept on eye on the boy, making sure nothing attacked him.

After ten minutes, the boy seemed to sigh before turning and heading back inside. Severus sighed himself, looking down at the ground, his ears dropping slightly.

It was for the best, he reminded himself. Harry was safer without him in his life.

Severus glanced at the castle, noting the large doors shut, signaling that Harry was back inside. Severus turned away, walking deeper into the trees to find some thickets to get under and avoid the wet weather.

 

Another week passed, and Severus continued to avoid Harry as Ajax. He stayed in his chambers at night, and while he knew he couldn't watch out for Harry in the dungeons when the boy surely went out in hopes of meeting Ajax, he could only hope that nothing dared attack the boy. School went on as usual, and Severus was sure he had never been harsher on the boy thus far this year. He had a role to play, and he needed the boy to hate him anyway should he ever discover Ajax was him. It would be easier to get rid of Harry when he ever figured out the truth.

It was Friday way too soon in Severus's opinion and the first year Gryffindor and Slytherin class was always eventful. At least no one ended up in tears. It was better than the Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw class, where half the class ended up crying due to Severus's menacing behavior. Annoying little badgers.

As of right now, he was lecturing the class on aconite once more: where it was found, its uses, and its effects. He wanted a more in-depth discussion on the plant. This plant was very important in the potion brewing industry. After demonstrating how to properly prepare the different parts of the plant (emphasizing the importance of gloves), Severus pulled off his gloves and stood in front of the prep table, leaning back against it and crossing his arms.

"Can anyone tell me what the original use of aconite was?"

The Granger girl's hand shot up into the air. No one else raised their hand. Severus rolled his eyes.

"No one at all?"

Hermione waved her hand a bit, looking as though she might just spill the answer any second.

"Mr. Malfoy?"

Draco jumped in his seat slightly at his name being called, looking up from where he was no doubt doodling on the parchment.

"Err, wasn't it for like . . . poison?"

"Poison in animal bates, yes," Hermione called out, unable to resist, "but even more commonly used on arrows when hunting wolves that preyed on livestock, which is why it is also known as wolfsbane."

"Speaking out of turn Miss Granger," Severus snapped at the child.

"But it is correct, sir, isn't it? And it was and still is used to keep werewolves at bay. The entire plant can be sprinkled around an entire area or even held in the hand to force a werewolf to run away."

"Unlikely," Severus said, pushing off the table and slowly walking towards Hermione's table. "While the smell of the plant can stop a werewolf from advancing further, most wolves will not turn away. If you do not know how to wield the aconite appropriately, the werewolf can still kill you. Besides, such raw, toxic aconite is easily absorbed through the skin."

"Not if you crush the leaves of lilies in your hand first, sir. They will absorb the toxins from the aconite, so you can protect yourself. And you must always hold the aconite in front of you, and when you have the chance, throw it at the wolf's eyes or into its mouth."

"Indeed," Severus paused in front of Hermione's desk, glaring down at the girl. Why did she have a blasted answer for everything? He was supposed to be the teacher here. "That will certainly blind if not kill the beast. But where is one to find lilies this time of year?"

"They can be grown out of season," Hermione said, meeting Snape's glare with her own serious look. "Like the ones in our greenhouses. It is recommended to have lilies and aconite available in heavily werewolf populated areas."

Severus glared at the girl for a moment longer before saying, "Be warned that lilies will only absorb for so long before the aconite toxins seep into skin. And I hope you all have written this information down. I did not ask these questions just to hear an insufferable know-it-all speak."

Everyone began scribbling on their parchments as much as they could remember.

"And five points from Gryffindor, Miss Granger, for speaking out of turn."

Hermione's face fell for a brief second before she frowned up at Severus, but he had already turned away, walking back to the prep table. An insufferable know-it-all she was indeed. Hopefully, he could continue his lesson without further interruptions. Perhaps he should just avoid asking questions. Clearly, all the students depended on the bushy-haired girl to see them through first year. Severus stood behind the prep table, facing the students and waiting until everyone had stopped writing before speaking once more about aconite and what its toxic effects could be. The children would learn about the wolfsbane potion the ingredient was commonly used for at a later date. For now, it was best that they recognized the plant and didn't mistake it for wild parsley or horseradish.

The lesson was at least successful, and he was sure the students had taken away more than he had planned.

Now, he was outside, lying in the cold, frosted grass; the only warmth from the night air being the hair all over his body. He had stretched his legs by trotting a few laps in the forest. His muscles ached from the lack of use for so long, another week without a good run, but it would be enough to avoid Charley horses. Severus then chose a spot a bit closer to Hagrid's hut to try and steal some of the heat the half-giant's fireplace gave off, but alas the heat remained just out of reach. He could inch a bit closer, but he didn't want to risk being seen.

Then, voices caught his attention and he lifted his head. It sounded like the trio was paying a visit. Curious, Severus stood and quietly walked closer to the hut until he could clearly hear what was being said.

"I know what I saw Hagrid," Hermione's voice sounded, "and it was most definitely a hex. Someone attacked Harry that day. And I know it had to be a professor."

They were discussing the events that landed the boy in the hospital two weeks ago. Severus was also sure it was not coincidental that Harry's broom had acted up.

"Yer wrong, Hermione," Hagrid said, "now, why would a professor attack Harry?"

"We have our suspicions. But we've narrowed down our suspects to Quirrell and Snape."

Me? They suspected that I had attacked Harry? Severus snorted angrily, his eyes flashing. He hadn't even been at the game! He was a little busy bleeding to death thanks to some damn centaurs.

"Quirrell and Snape?"

"Yes, Quirrell because he was there and out of the professors keeping eye contact on Harry, he'd be the one most likely to . . ."

"Now wait just a minute," Hagrid interrupted. "Quirrell wouldn't harm Harry. He's a good man. And Snape, he wouldn't either. I think yeh need to leave what happened tha' day to the professors and focus on yer schoolwork. Harry is more than safe."

"But –"

"It's okay, Hermione," Harry said.

Whatever else was said Severus didn't catch. Severus moved around the hut, ending up in some shrubs with a good view of the front of Hagrid's hut. The door opened, and the three kids walked out, making their way back to the castle. Better keep an eye on them, Severus thought. He followed the trio in the trees, making sure they safely made it back to the castle. As they drew near, he walked in between the greenhouses to have a closer look, pausing as the trio walked by, chatting amiably.

Then, Harry paused and looked directly at him.

Damn it, Severus thought, backing up and moving behind one of the greenhouses. He hadn't wanted to be seen. He didn't need these visits starting back up again. He'd have to tell the boy that they were done. Period. He listened closely to see what the boy would do.

"You go ahead, guys. I . . . I think I forgot my wand at Hagrid's. I'll catch up."

"We'll walk back with you . . ." Ron stated.

"No, that's okay. It's almost curfew. And someone has to cover for me."

"Okay, mate. Hurry back."

Footsteps faded, and Severus waited a couple seconds longer before peering around the greenhouse. He had expected to see Harry, but the boy was not in between the greenhouses. Frowning, Severus moved around the greenhouse, wondering if Harry had actually gone back to Hagrid's. He flicked his ears, trying to angle them to listen for sounds in different directions.

"Ajax?"

Severus turned abruptly to see Harry coming around the greenhouse he had been behind. The boy had moved around it quite quietly. Harry smiled happily at the centaur before running up to Severus and wrapping his arms around what he could reach.

"You came back! I've missed you so much. I know you said not to come to our meet spot, but I couldn't help it! I came every night. I wasn't sure how you'd tell me you would return but I guess you do have your ways."

Severus grabbed the boy's wrists and pulled the child off him, taking a step back away from the embrace. Harry didn't seem fazed, he just smiled up at the large centaur. Severus sighed. It was now or never.

"Harry . . ." Severus began.

"Did you miss me?" Harry suddenly asked.

Severus froze at the innocent question. Harry's emerald eyes sparkled up at him expectantly, reminding him so much of . . .

Severus sighed and forced himself to look away. Don't fall for it, the man thought to himself. He closed his eyes for a few seconds, trying to decide how to answer that question, or if he even should. He opened his eyes and looked down at the boy, who stared up at him with a curious look, a frown slowly forming on his face.

"Are you okay, Ajax?"

Severus opened his mouth, but a low growling noise sounded from the trees before he could say anything. He snapped his head in the direction of the forest, eyeing the darkness for any movements. He grabbed Harry's arm and pulled the boy away, keeping himself between the child and the tree line. The growling grew louder – as if it was coming from right in front of them. Severus squinted, trying to peer directly into the shrubs before them.

A large wolf took a step out of the shrubs, a large paw quickly followed by another. It's glowing yellow eyes eyed Severus before they turned on the boy. Its mouth opened wider as it snarled viciously, fully stepping out of the shrubs.

Another werewolf? Severus instinctively looked up at the moon, noting that it was full once again. An entire moon cycle had passed since the last incident. Could this be the same werewolf from before?

"Harry," Severus ordered, "go inside. Now."

"Wait," Harry insisted, "I can help!"

"Harry!" Severus called as the boy ran into one of the greenhouses.

The wolf had leaped forward when the boy took off, forcing Severus to leap in its way to stop it. The wolf snarled at Severus directly now. Severus pawed at the ground, trying to intimidate the animal. The wolf snapped its jaws at Severus, beginning to circle the large animal now, it's tufted tail held out stiffly. Severus watched it closely, standing his ground.

Then, Harry came running back out, standing between Severus and the wolf, holding out a plant.

The wolf's nose twitched, and it backed up a few steps. Harry kept the plant trained on the wolf that continued to circle them and snarl at a distance. Severus recognized it as aconite and his nose smelled lilies. So, the boy did pay attention in class. But he was still a reckless Gryffindor.

"What are you doing?" Severus snapped. "Get inside the castle! You'll be safest there."

"What about you?" Harry retorted. "I can help us both. I can kill the wolf by just throwing this at his eyes or in his mouth."

"Impudent child! Do you know how many wizards and muggles have died attempting to do just that? It is easier said than done! Take those plants with you and run for the castle! Quickly, the lilies fill quickly with toxins!"

"But it could attack you," Harry looked up at Ajax in concern. "It could kill you. You just got back."

"And I promise I'll be here tomorrow night," Severus said, moving closer and placing a hand on Harry's shoulder, urging him in the direction of the castle.

Harry looked doubtful, asking, "You promise?"

"Yes. In our usual place," Severus could hardly believe he was allowing these meets to continue. What was wrong with him? But if the boy listened and ran for the castle – to safety – it was all that truly mattered.

Harry offered a small smile before staring at the castle and taking a deep breath. Then, he ran.

The wolf pounced after him, but Severus leaped in its way. Growling, the wolf tried to run around Severus, only for the centaur to block his way each time. The wolf decided to focus on the centaur now and it lunged forward, teeth lashing out. Severus jumped back just in time. He turned and kicked at the wolf, missing but forcing the creature to back away.

Frustrated, the wolf snapped its jaws at Severus before running back into the trees. Severus snorted triumphantly, pawing the ground before a thought struck him. What if it was the same werewolf? What if it was living close by? In the forest? It was a danger to the school. It had to be dealt with.

Galloping forward as fast as he could, Severus chased after the wolf, following its lonely howls. He stopped when the wolf seemed to vanish from sight. He scanned the trees for the silver-gray fur, using his hearing to pick up any scuffles or grunts. A howl sounded, and Severus took off after it. Later, someday in the far future, he might admit that following a werewolf was not one of his brightest ideas. For now, it was the only thing he could think to do. He had to know where this werewolf was coming from. He knew firsthand how dangerous these creatures could be.

All night he ran after the wolf, following from a distance, stopping when the wolf did to explore some rabbit holes and running when the wolf picked up a scent. Severus was growing tired rapidly, having not warmed up for this strenuous exercise, and he was glad that tomorrow was a Saturday. And tomorrow came quickly.

They were deep in the trees now, so far into the forest, Severus was sure it'd take him all day to walk back to Hogwarts. The wolf was slowing down, panting heavily as it neared a clearing. And Severus saw it.

A small little cottage. It was the last thing Severus expected. A wooden structured home, no bigger than his living quarters in Hogwarts that was for sure, but a home nonetheless. There was also a small, man-sized metal box looking thing standing next to the house, resembling a portable toilet in Severus's opinion, but the door to it was broken open despite the chains that once held it shut. What was a werewolf doing living in the Forbidden Forest? Was it really that much better than the discriminating wizarding society? Well, who was Severus to talk?

The morning sunrays began to stream through the trees and the wolf seemed to drop to the ground as it began to change. Severus couldn't keep watching as he felt himself beginning to change. A bit weak from his long journey, Severus fell to his knees once he was a man again. He quickly summoned his robe he had left in a tree back near Hagrid's hut. It took a moment to fly to his hand, but he quickly wrapped it around him, tying it in place. He looked up just in time to see the werewolf, now a man pulling on a robe himself, slowly stand to his feet, slightly stumbling on his own feet. Severus gasped.

Remus Lupin?

 

Chapter End Notes:
I like the werewolf description described in the books over what was seen in the movies. On Pottermore: "the werewolf is almost indistinguishable in appearance from the true wolf, although the snout may be slightly shorter and the pupils smaller (in both cases more 'human') and the tail tufted rather than full and bushy." In this story, I vision Remus as a very large wolf (not Jacob Black large!) but maybe twice the size of a normal wolf plus how J.K. Rowling describes them. Just a little info. Anyway, I hoped you liked this chapter!