Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm sorry... Update soon next time I promise....
Is That A Coping Mechanism?
His apparation got them to the gates of Hogwarts,

"Dobby!"

The elf appeared instantaneously. His eyes going round at the sight of the limp Harry Potter

"Master Snape! You must be fixing him! "

"That's the plan. Take us to my quarters please." He actually had to think for a minute before knowing where to go.

"Most certainly, Sir"

The elf took his and Harry's hand and they appeared moments later in the cool silver and black of his living room. He set the boy down and ran a diagnostic. Of all the days Pomfrey had to leave…

when the diagnostic returned he had to push down an uncomfortable feeling forming in his throat. The boy had been severely mistreated, physically beaten, denied food and water for days, forced to work with his injured shoulder and leg. To say nothing of emotional abuse. He had allowed this to happen, hadn't even noticed the boy missing.

Potter had every right to hate him, even without their history.

Once again he set to work healing as best he could, even casting a sleeping charm when Potter showed signs of stirring. He couldn't deal with Potter yet, he... wasn't done rebandaging that injured shoulder. The shoulder he realised wouldn’t be able to be fully healed with magic, given that most of the process had been thoroughly interrupted. It would require at least a week or two healing, quite a few potions and maybe a couple spells. He thanked merlin that it wasn’t permanent.

The head injury worried him most, even now there were still specks of blood scattered across the hair and face of Potter. Slowly moving his wand downwards he erased each and every one and held the wand at the boy’s temple. Long complicated spells poured from his mouth in a hushed voice that was barley audible. The only way of telling for certain whether they worked was when Potter was awake.

He was tempted to go see if Albus was in his office, he was mad at him for a variety of reasons, it was his fault Potter had ever been with those people, it was his fault that Pomfrey was gone and his fault that nobody went to check on Potter for so long.

Although the last two couldn't be completely blamed on the headmaster.

It was uncommon to see Potter in a position as powerless as the one he’d witnessed, the boy fought dementors, dragons and basilisks, but that fear as Potter had bit his lip and slightly trembled … he'd seen Potter so distressed a few times. It was the similar to the look Potter had when he first returned from the maze, but back then it had dissolved into grief quickly.

He had Dobby make a quick dinner and he settled into a seat beside the couch containing Potter. He needed to assess the boys condition once awake, and hopefully get some food into him.

It was 10am when there was some movement. The teenager groggily rubbed his eyes and look at him. When he kept staring Severus raised an eyebrow, that was enough to break Potter's concentration.

He spoke even slower and clearer than he normally did. “Can you hear me?”

“Yes?”

“Thats a good start.”

"Professor? Where am I? What.. happened?" Potter’s head flicked left and right in as he only half looked at him.

"From your perspective or mine?"

"Ahhhh, yours?"

Severus quickly filled the boy in on his time at the ministry, leaving out a couple of things. Like the threats to Azkaban.

"This is making more sense I….. I remember Fudge."

"So he was the one who brought you to Privet Drive?"

"Yeah, he gave me this warning speech about how I shouldn't get too cosy with Dumbledore and everything I said last year was a big fat lie."

"Fudge is terrified."

"Yeah well… who isn't?"

He let that go for the moment and retreated to the kitchen. Potter needed to eat. He slipped a nutrition potion into the cereal and brought it back. Annoyingly the boy didn't touch it,

"Eat."

"Aren't you having anything?"

"No."

"I uhh, I shouldn't."

"Why not?"

The boy was clearly starving.

"I don't know! Just give me some bread or something"

"Potter, whatever rules have been drilled through that thick skull of yours, forget them. Here in my rooms, you eat."

"Fine.." he grumbled an half heartedly took a spoon of Corn flakes.

He kept his intimidating gaze on Potter and the bowl until he was satisfied. Only then did he vanish it with a wave of a hand.

"Sir?"

"Yes?"

"Was all that true? You know about you being questioned at the ministry and stuff?"

"Of course"

He understood where this was going immediately.

"Well, I was thinking it may just be an elaborate way of saying you, Pomfrey and Dumbledore forget me. And I'm okay if that's the truth too, I'd rather know, okay? just give me the truth."

"It isn't, however I have no proof so it is up to you to take me on my word."

Potter frowned and nodded, truth was a tricky thing.

He was exactly the wrong person for this but it needed to happen quickly regardless.

"Was there something you wish to say about what happened in Privet drive?" If only the boy would stop averting his eyes and focus for a minute.

"No.. just thanks for showing up when you did"

Gratitude? Oh what a strange wizard Harry Potter was.

He shifted and replied, “You should never have been in their care regardless. I, knowing what I knew, should never have let you return."

Potter didn't speak and kept his head bowed so low Severus couldn't see his expression.

He disliked this interaction, it was a Potter too submissive and sad. A year ago it's exactly what he would've wanted.

"You may visit the Quidditch pitch if you wish."

"Really?“

"I believe your broom is still in the unsightly Gryffindor common room."

"Hey better than the dark mangy Slytherin common room."

"And when exactly have you been visiting the Slytherin dorms?“

He flashed a quick guilty smile, “Uh part of the Polyjuice story I’m never telling you.”

“We’ll see…. and I was serious before. Gryffindor’s seeker may have a chance to practice before anyone else.”

The smile faded quickly, “Yeah thanks.. maybe I just… I just don’t know.”

Time, Potter just needed time and persistence.



***

Harry in spit of being in Hogwarts, did not feel happy. Whatever happy was. He wasn’t sure how much of the daze he was experiencing was physical and how much was mental. Despite spending weeks with him, Snape seemed almost more intimidating than ever and he was uncertain about every interactions with the man. After all the time he spent with Snape had been in its own context. Trapped in a frame of time that was now over.

By dinner, Snape had made him eat and continue sleeping on the plush couch he’d woken up on. Dobby had made a few appearances, asking all sorts of questions but eventually he got tired of the elf and asked in the politest way he could, for Dobby to leave. Weirdly, Dobby had made eye contact with Snape, nodded slightly and then vanished. When they had become such friends was a mystery to Harry.

He had no idea who knew he was here, he was partially attempting to avoid Dumbledore so he didn’t breach the topic.

Snape had explained that it may take a week or two for his shoulder to properly recover. He didn’t really mind that, it didn’t seem that big of a problem in the larger scheme.

Two days later and a few more stifled conversations with Snape, the floo turned green and a person came rushing out. A mass of scraggly hair and sharp jaw that could only be Sirius.

He looked like his old wanted posters from years ago as he held his wand to Snape and wildly searched the room.

Snape was not slow to react matching the thick brown wood with his own dark, sleek wand.

“Give me my godson Snivellus!”

“I cannot stand mangy dogs inside me quarters Black, you have exactly five seconds to rid my home of your presence.”

Harry stared dumbstruck, and got up, right as Sirius made eye contact with him.

“I’m not going anywhere without Harry! and if you don’t do what I say I swear to god Snivellus - ”

“Enough! both of you. You’re on the same side remember?.”

Sirius softened a little but still kept shooting glares at Snape. “Yeah I’m not so sure about that..”

Then Sirius’s face contorted once more into full blown rage and stuck his wand dead centre at Snape’s chest.

“What happened to Harry’s arm why is it bandaged! Why is their a bruise on his face? and why is their blood all over his clothes. What the hell did you do to him!”

“Nothing! he did nothing Sirius. Please can we just put the wands down.”

Begrudgingly both lowered their arms. Harry already felt exhausted and used it as a chance to sit down again.

Sirius was quick to bring the discussion back to his point.

“Now will someone explain why the hell my godson is in Snivellus’s quarters?”

Harry didn’t exactly have an answer so Snape stepped in.

“There was an attack on the Dursley household. Potter needed to be brought here in order to secure his safety, unless you wanted the boy to be put in danger purposely? ”

It was a mystery why Snape lied, Sirius was after all a fully fledged order member.

“Of course not. But why wasn’t I told? and why wasn’t he taken to Grimmauld place instead?”

“Given that the house had been compromised it was possible any Order safe houses were no longer protected. Why the headmaster neglected to pass any of this information onto you is a matter you’ll have to take up with him.”

Snape seemed slightly amused and Harry had to admit he was impressed by Snape’s ability to both give a plausible excuse and offend Sirius in the same sentence.

Sirius indeed looked annoyed. “Fine I wasn’t included in any of this for unknown reasons, but now I am. And Harry is coming with me.”

Snape arched an eye brow “Are you sure thats wise?”

“I don’t care what you think is wise. He’s coming home with me now.”

“Potter has experienced a large ordeal and has not fully recovered healing from it –”

“Cut the crap Snape. Why don’t we ask Harry what he wants.”

Harry, who truth be told was disliking the intense nature of the argument, was now fully caught off guard. Both Snape and Sirius were waiting for his answer. Snape with his usual mask of indifference and Sirius giving him a broad shining smile.

He hated being put in this situation and his hesitation was obviously confusing Sirius.

“What, did you poison him or something Snivellus? I would think thats very your style.”

“Nobody poisoned me.” He frustratingly exclaimed.

“Harry I’m sorry but from the looks of things you seem a little out of it. Just trust me okay?”

And he wanted to trust Sirius, oh he wanted to trust him. So he let himself be passive. He was sick of constantly trying to fight for his position and sick of losing. The fight leaving him must have been visible as Snape gave him a strange look.

Sirius grew increasingly impatient. “Look, I don’t know why theres even an argument here. Harry belongs with me, not with his greasy potions professor who has taken every opportunity to make his life a living hell. We’re going. Now. ”

He summoned Harry’s trunk, Hedwig’s cage and the much smaller version of the Firebolt. All of which Harry had barely even known were in the room.

Sirius grabbed Harry’s arm in a rather tight hold and walked towards the fireplace. Snape continued to watch Harry even while he talked to Sirius.

“Do you really think it wise to take him to an Order location, and away from Hogwarts?”

“Like I said. I could give rat’s arse about what you think is wise Snivellus.”

Snape managed to get one last sentence in. “Your precious godson might require a few more potions before he is to back to his shining self. Try not to let that slip you imbecilic brain.”

Sirius threw a sneer that looked more like a growl before he threw the floo powder in and dragged both himself and Harry as well as Harry’s things, away from Snape’s quarters.

***

When Harry arrived at Grimmauld place it was surprisingly a hub of activity. The dusty old house was currently inhabited by many, including some familiar faces, or more appropriately, some familiar red hair.

“Harry!” Mrs Weasley exclaimed as she caught sight of him during her dusting. She enveloped him in a bear crushing hug and he tried to resist the urge to step backwards.

“ ‘ullo Mrs Weasley.”

The womens attention however moved to Sirius who was sending all of Harry’s things whizzing upstairs somewhere.

“What on earth are you thinking Sirius? Bringing him here?”

“He was with Snape of all people! any longer and the greasy bastard would’ve probably poisoned him or somethin’ .”

Harry tried to dispel the tension between the two, “What exactly is ‘here’ anyway?”

He had a faint idea from his conversation with Snape but wanted to know more.

Sirius led him further in too a living room that looked like every couch and cushion had taken a pummelling and been left to sit for 50 years. It was rather suffocating.

“This was one of the Black family residences. I spent a fair bit of my youth here before I met your dad, now that most of the Black family is deceased or … worse, I inherited the house. I didn’t exactly need it but its hidden location and old warding made it a perfect candidate for an Order safe house.”

He couldn’t help but let a bit of bitterness leak in as he wondered why he wasn’t allowed to stay here then if it was so safe. He tried to vanish the thought and kept his attention in Sirius.

“Harry.. I don’t really understand how you ended up with the greasy dungeon bat, – ” He cringed at the name, “– what happened?”

He was stuck for a moment. He didn’t want to tell Sirius everything knowing that many parts of it would be difficult to explain, including his encounter with… Thompson, and being back at #4 so he went with a lie for now.

“Like Professor Snape said, there was an attack and Dumbledore sent Snape to get me since he was close and available.”

“An attack? What kind of attack? Is that where your injuries are from?”

“Uh, yeah. Snape sorta arrived just in time before they could grab me.” Just in time indeed.

“Well, are the Dursley’s okay?”

He tried not to laugh at the question.

“Yeah they’re fine, Snape came back for them and apparated them somewhere safe.”

Sirius nodded an was about to say something when, Hermione’s voice sounded behind him.

“Harry!” just like Mrs Weasley she too hugged him, although a little lighter.

Ron was by her side and smiled and tipped his head. “Hiya Harry.”

He was stung even Hermione was here, truly everyone but him huh?

He was bombarded with a few more questions from Sirius, Ron, Mrs Weasley and Hermione and he tried to answer as best he could but to say it was taxing was an understatement.

By the time Ron had asked how much of an evil git Snape had been with Sirius listening in, he’d had enough.

“I’m sorry but can we cut this short? I’m just really tired.”

Mrs Weasley melted instantly, “Of course. There’s a room upstairs that’s empty, third door on your right.”

Grateful for his chance to escape, he moved upstairs quickly. He could still hear some of the conversation as he left.

“What’s his problem?”

“Ron! You can’t expect him to be over the moon, he was just attacked by Death Eaters for Pete’s sake.”

“Who’s Pete?”

He finished going up the stairs and left his bickering friends behind him. Inside his room he let out a sigh. Sometimes being alone was a big relief, he loved his friends and Sirius of course but their questions were daunting. He was glad to see all his possessions neatly sitting in the corner of the room.

He rolled his shoulder experimentally and – holy merlin, collapsed onto the bed in pain and seeing blurred vision. He caught his breath back and sat up. The dull ache had not been forgotten but he didn’t think it was quite that bad. Cautiously he inspected his other injuries in a tall mirror next to the wardrobe.

The bruise on his forehead from Dudleys punch and a darker one on his temple gifted by his Uncle were none too flattering. They would fade – thankfully – hopefully before school started. There was also a large scab running from above his ankle to a bit below his knee, it only really hurt when he bent his leg so that was a plus. Finally he took of his shirt to inspect his shoulder which was till partially bandaged. He didn’t think he should take off the bandage so he kept it wrapped. Black bruising peeked over the cream white and the middle of the bandage was tinged a reddy brown. He was glad Snape had said he has disinfected it, the last thing he wanted to worry about was becoming diseased.

He opened his trunk and happily found one of the new sets of pyjama’s he had bought two weeks ago in Diagon Alley. It was much nicer than sleeping in one of Dudley’s oversized shirts.

He felt a bit bad that he hadn’t exactly defended Snape when Sirius had come but the words ‘he’s actually been a really cool dude and saved my life continually’ weren’t about to flow naturally out of his mouth. Not that Sirius would’ve even believed him either, poisoned! he honestly thought Harry had been poisoned against him. Like Harry was incapable of making his own sound decisions and needed someone to step in and take control. It was insulting.

He went to sleep uncomfortably.

***

The next few days had passed without much changing. Except that everyone walked around him like they weren’t sure if he’d self destruct or not.

In all fairness he had gotten rather angry ay one point when Ron and Hermione had told him they’d been there for almost all of Summer. How exactly was he meant to feel? weeks at the Dursley’s, hearing almost nothing from anyone and finding out they’re all here having the time of their lives?

Yeah he’d shouted a little and from then on they had been careful mention the time they’d spent without him. Sometimes he’d play a game of exploding snap with Ron or Sirius would tell him a story about his Dad that mad him laugh and feel wistfully sad at the same time but he began to keep to himself a bit more.

Every now and then he thought of Thompson, having nightmares about what would’ve happened if his accidental magic didn’t flare up when it did… or a vision of himself mercilessly killing the man in cold blood. Two men he’d killed, Quirrel and Thompson. Three if he counted Cedric which he did. Three people dead was not something he could reconcile with his conscious and it showed. In his nightmares his eyes turned red and his friends watched in horror as he first killed Quirrel, Thompson and Cedric each in different ways. It would leave him with a disconcerted feeling that would linger for the rest of the day.

Other times he though of his very much alive Uncle who was undoubtedly still seething with rage aimed at him. He would feel phantom pain in his back if he pondered on his memories just a bit to long, or he would wince at loud noises when trapped in his thoughts. And still found himself avoiding eye contact and mouthing the word Sir at the end of his sentences.

He wanted to tell Sirius everything, badly. But he was just to unsure about the mans reaction. What if Sirius did something rash and went after his Uncle and got caught by the ministry? Harry couldn’t be responsible for Sirius going back to Azkaban. What would be even worse, Harry thought guiltily, would be if Sirius partially blamed Harry for not fighting back. For not doing what James Potter would have done. He didn’t know if could take that.

He decided he would tell Dumbledore about some of his fears and see whatever wise words the man could give him.

Unfortunately Dumbledore didn’t turn up for a while. Sirius was also still looking to talk to the Headmaster about why he hadn’t been included in the so called attack on #4 Privet Drive. So when Dumbledore finally made an appearance, Harry wasn’t sure if he was happy or worried.

“Good afternoon everyone. I thank you once again Sirius, for the use of your home.”

Sirius shrugged and waited somewhat impatiently as Dumbledore sat down in the living room and Mrs Weasley brought out a few biscuits. Harry stood in the corner, visible but not quite part of the conversation.

“Why exactly was Harry taken to Snape’s after the attack in Surrey? Dumbledore you know if there’s anywhere he should go; its here.”

To his credit Dumbledore didn’t even react to the lie about an ‘attack in Surrey’.

“I’m afraid we had such little time that the fastest thing I could think of was to bring Harry to Hogwarts. Severus was the only teacher on school grounds and I had a few urgent matters, so I trusted Harry’s care to an Order member. Something I would do time and time again.”

Harry was beginning to understand Dumbledore’s trust in Snape. He himself seemed to have developed a grudging respect strangely enough. It seemed with Snape, his actions not his words carried weight.

“Fine, but why not bring him here after? You yourself told me you had him at Hogwarts the other night, why not bring him before.”

“Because as far as I could see, he was completely safe in Severus’s care. Was I to take him anywhere, it would be back to his home in Surrey after the threat had been taken care of.”

Harry went rigid as he listened, he hoped like hell that Dumbledore wasn’t actually planning on taking him back there. He couldn’t, Sirius wouldn’t let it happen right? and Snape…. Snape had said he was never going back and when Snape said something, it almost always happened.

His fears were mostly relived by Dumbledore’s next sentence. “However, for the time being, I see no reason why he shouldn’t stay here.”

“Damn right he’s staying here.” Sirius replied. The words didn’t exactly give him the same amount of joy they did when he’d heard them two years ago after finding out he had a godfather.

Mrs Weasley was just bringing out a few small cakes when Dumbledore waved her away, “Molly there is little need. As usual you have generosity in bounds, but I’m afraid I must go. It seems much of my time these days are spent arguing with the ministry. ”

“Oh, what a shame Headmaster. Your fully welcome to return any time and we’ll keep that cakes ready. ” She cheerfully replied.

“I cannot thank you enough. Was that all you wished to ask Sirius?”

“For now I suppose.”

Albus Dumbledore made his way out of the room and Harry gave chase.

“Professor! Professor!”

He chased the man down and Dumbledore turned only slightly towards him.

“Yes Harry?”

He found himself seemingly nervous now, “Well there are a few things I wanted to talk to you about… A few things I need to ask your advice on –”

“Harry, as you know my door is open, however right at this very moment I do in fact need to tend to a few pressing matters. You should really tell Sirius about some of theses concerns, I’m sure he’d be more than happy to help. ”

“Well its just I’d really like to talk to you.”

“Perhaps another time, I will see you very soon once school begins after all.”

He deflated as Dumbledore talked, I mean, the man barely even looked at him. Rather done he nodded his head, “Okay.”

Dumbledore went to leave but hesitated. “And Harry?”

“Yeah?”

“I think you should try to limit lying to your friends and Sirius. They undoubtedly want to help you.”

It seemed like terrible advice but he nodded despite Dumbledore not really being able to see him. He had only followed Snape’s lie about why his was at Hogwarts. He didn’t even know if he was allowed to mention the Vincere stone, and, the only person who could tell him if he could was walking away!

The headmaster left, his strangely patterned maroon robes and wispy white beard disappearing though the dark doorway of Grimmauld Place. To Harry the visit had felt absolutely pointless, unless it was purposely meant to make him angry. He had succeeded at that.

“Harry?”

Sirius had spotted him from the kitchen.

“Thinking of going anywhere?” Sirius said it jokingly but it still had a serious note of disapproval.

“No, I was just trying to talk to Dumbledore.”

“Trying?”

Harry walked back to the kitchen.

“Well he won’t ever hold more than a two minute conversation.”

Sirius laughed a little. “Well he’s like that, trying to have a straight conversation with him is like pulling nifflers from gold.”

“Yeah but…”

“What did you want to tell him anyway? maybe I could help. ”

Alright what the hell, maybe he’d try a little.

“I’ve just had a ton on my mind, I mean with the ministry telling everyone I’m lying.. and that night in the graveyard… then having to go back to my aunt and uncles ” I also killed a man but you don’t need to know about that.

“Harry, I know its been tough for you lately but remember the Order is doing everything in their power to help you and Dumbledore. Everybody get’s stressed or sad sometimes, maybe you just need an activity or two to keep your mind off of things. ”

He wasn’t very sure an ‘activity’ was what he needed but he nodded anyway.

Sirius smiled, “Great then its settled. We’re going to catch all the Doxy’s in this place.”

“Doxy’s?”

“Sometimes I forget you didn’t grow up in a wizarding household. They’re little fairy things but covered in dark hair and four arms and four legs. The curtains here are infested with them.”

“They sound terrible.”

“They are, but we’re getting rid of them. First one to collect ten wins, and to make it fair, I won’t use magic either. ”

“Okay” he shrugged.

They both went to different rooms to begin searching. Harry found one after about fifteen minutes but catching it was proving tricky. It was a slippery little thing.

After a good hour, he’d captured six and was keeping them in a grimy jar he’d found under the sink. If he was honest, it felt a bit like a chore and did nothing to stop his thoughts drifting to flashbacks but Sirius had been happy afterwards. Given the man was confined to this place, that was a definite bonus.

He was beginning to feel a little faint and nearly fell just as he managed to grab onto the stairs bannister. He reluctantly admitted perhaps he should eat a little more and wandered to the dining room for dinner
Chapter End Notes:
I know not that much happened but hey, I promise every moment counts. As usual reviews are the bread and butter of my world and I'll try to reply to almost all reviews on this chap :)