Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
What can I say accept I'm sorry for the gianormous weight? If anyone's still here, I present to you the seventh chapter!
Funny Story (Tim Dies)
Waking up inside a tent on a comfortable bed was pure bliss. Harry hesitated at the idea of actually dragging himself out of bed to face whatever inevitable tasks today would bring. Figuring that sleeping would not help matters, he pulled his mottled grey cloak over himself and left the tent.

Unsurprisingly Snape was already up and glaring across at the other men and women from the far end of the makeshift camp. He caught sight of Harry and made his way over. Harry could already tell the man was in a bad mood from the angry set of his shoulders and the purposeful movement of his strides.

“We should leave, we have no idea who these people are, or their motivations.”

Harry was not about to relinquish his soft bed quite so easily, “Sir,” best to start off respectful, “I understand why you say that but we are much worse off alone don’t you think? Like you said, we were running out of food and had no idea where to look. Where would we even go now? these people are searching for the same thing we are, why not work together?”

“I am forever in awe at your naivety Potter. This is not one of your Quidditch matches where we work happily as a team. Suppose we do find the stone, then what? who gets it? shall we play of a match of Gobstones to decide?”

Harry sighed in frustration but kept his voice low as to not attract attention to themselves.

“These people have showed nothing but kindness since we arrived, we have no place to go, why don’t we just stick around to see if they know anything else. At the first sign of trouble we’ll leave.” He briefly added. “Sir.”

Snape didn’t say a word and just turned his gaze to the sleepy forms of their campmates, Harry optimistically took that as a yes.

The man Harry recognised as Thompson from yesterday exited one of the larger tents looking jovial and well rested. He took one look at Snape and Harry and quickly made his way over.

“How’d you fella’s sleep? We got a big day ahead of us.”

“Fine thank you!” Since Snape obviously disliked interacting Harry took the task upon himself.

“What exactly do you mean a big day?”

The mans crooked teeth were shown as he talked through a smile. “Well young man, theres no need for the ‘sir’ business here. And teh’ answer your question..... we sometimes send people ahead, see what’s what ya know? and our scouts Tracy and Donavan came back last night sayin that there was something up ahead, they didn’t go too close but we’ll be travelling there.”

Snape’s low drawl finally joined the conversation, “We will be...?”

Thompson didn’t even bat an eye, “Well our group will be, and yeh welcome to come. figured since we’re looking for the same thing we should stick together.”

“Sounds good to me.” Harry interjected before Snape could say anything.

He helped pack up the makeshift tents and marvelled at the way they packed away into small neat squares. After everything had been collected and the fire had been fully put out they made their way futhur down the tunnels with the guiding blueish light of the lanterns. Harry briefly wondered exactly what the lanterns were, they definitely weren't the normal muggle type as there was no flame. Instead the glass contained a very bright blue liquid.

Snape’s dark voice addressing Thompson interrupted his brief wonderings.

“And what exactly did these scouts of yours find?”

“Well Trace and Donny are the only ones with any magic, they only have a little bit but its enough to cast a few scanning spells. They said there was something up ahead, not entirely sure what.”

Snape made a small annoyed huff that Harry knew all too well. He heard it whenever the man checked Neville or his potion and found it several shades darker or lighter than it was meant to be.

Harry was actually beginning to get a little excited by the prospect of finally finding something (he wasn’t about to include the river because that had just been embarrassing and he was trying not to think about that). So when Thompson said it was somewhere around here he was nervously buzzing in anticipation.

Therefore it was a little anti-climatic when they walked into a another cavern not dissimilar to the one they’d spent the night in. The difference being there was now holes in the roof where sunlight beamed through and fell and the rocky floor. It was fairly large, big enough for 60 or so people.

One of the older men with short fuzzy grey hair, like stuffing inside a soft toy, seemed to find something and walked confidently towards it.

“Oy, look over ‘ere. Think I got somethin’”

Indeed there were bold letters engraved into the wall. A deep rough voice from their group with better diction than the others began reading them outloud;

‘If it’s treasure that you seek than its treasure that you’ll reap.

Time melts and you shall freeze for this is not a task of ease.

One small clue, for the brave among you.

The light shines a path that brings nothing but doom

Stick by the shadows and you’ll find what you seek soon.”

Almost the instant the reader was finished the words flashed gold as if activated. The whole cave gave a slight rumble and Harry wildly looked around for the source. It wasn’t hard to find, some of the group gasped as they spotted it. Gold was dripping down from the top of the wall, it moved slowly, edging it way down and encompassing everything in its path with a luxurious golden tint. Harry’s gaze swept around the room to find it happening on every wall. What might of been the exit was almost instantaneously golden, leaving them no way to continue forward.

The whole group took a small subconscious step backwards towards the centre of the cavern.

“Suppose we gotta figure out the riddle eh?” Said the grey haired man from before.

Harry wholeheartedly agreed and Snape stayed silent.

“Wonder what happens if…” the man took a few step forwards until he was directly in front of the wall and held out a small finger. Harry realised what he was intending to do and held his breath in anticipation. The very tip of flesh on the digit made contact with the swirling gold sludge and a soft cry was all that was heard before the man crumpled to the ground.

“TIM!” one of the another men rushed forward and checked for a pulse. The man looked up with a haunted look and no one had to ask what the assessment revealed. Regardless the man spoke anyway

“He’d dead.”


All eyes were trained on the now corpse, it was easy to see the life had left him, his whole face was blue, much bluer than it should be. Now that he looked really close, Harry could see a layer of frost covering his lips and something akin to small beads of ice in his now, milky white eyes. His grey hair even seemed to lack less colour than it did before.

The same man who pronounced Tim dead was looking at the corpse with the same morbid curiosity Harry had.

“I think…. I think e’ froze.”

Without giving time for everyone to wallow in their, no doubt, maudlin thoughts Thompson stepped out and gave instructions like a commander to his army.

“No one go near the walls. Lets organise ourselves inta’ a group at the centre of the room, cept’ for Tracy and Mike, you too search for exits. If anyone has any ideas about the riddle, now would be the time to say so.” He waited patiently for anyone to speak up,

“No? lets go then.”

Harry and Snape had no choice really but to follow along with Thompsons orders. They too moved to the middle of the room and away from the pulsating walls.

“Do you have any idea what we’re meant to do?” Harry asked subtly, he thought it very possible that Snape did have some theory but was keeping it secret from their group, the paranoid man he was.

Indeed Snape’s jaw moved slightly as an indication of thinking.

“No, nothing yet. Although I most definitely wouldn’t have suggested touching the strange substance dripping from the walls. This task was made by a Slytherin, the answer must be more discreet and require cunning. ”

Harry nodded contemplatively. The golden goo was dripping ever closer and the panic was beginning to seep into the group, people fidgeted and moved closer until they were pressed up against one another. Two people, Harry recognised as Tracy and Mike from Thompson’s orders, were moving around the edge of the room inspecting cracks and gaps. Harry doubted they would find anything, he was pretty certain there was one way in and one way out. Unfortunately those exits had been throughly covered in a thick coating of gold by this point. It seems they would either need to solve the riddle or join Tim in a cold icy death.

For Harry this was all too much like the third task, with its riddles and deathly consequences. At least this time he wasn’t completely alone, the burden to solve this didn’t lay solely with him. He tried to think about the sentences from before. If it’s treasure that you seek than its treasure that you’ll reap, well that seemed to have taken place with harsh irony, the deadly gold was almost definitely what it was referring to. Time melts and you shall freeze for this is not a task of ease, simple enough, they were on a time limit, fail to solve the problem in the time limit and find yourself an icy popsicle. The light shines a path that brings nothing but doom, ok then, don’t follow the light? Stick by the shadows and you’ll find what you seek soon, now that had to be the most useful line in the whole stupid thing. Shadows, well there were a few shadows around, most being cast by the small patch of light from above hitting the large stalagmites protruding from the ground.

Snape’s expression lit up like he’d just found out that Neville was being taken out of his class permanently and Harry knew he’d cracked it.

“Listen here if you want to have any chance of making it out of here with all you vital organs still at body temperature.” As usual he had the group to hung onto his every word, he was just effective as Thompson had been.

“We follow the shadows. see.” he pointed to one of shadows being cast by a particularly large stalagmite.

One of the women was already screwing her nose up sceptically,

“Whadda ya mean ‘follow’? its not exactly pointing us the directshun’ ”

Snape pinched the bridge of his nose, a definite indicator of stress that Harry knew by heart now.

“Allow me to demonstrate.”

Snape stepped much closer to the travelling mass than any of the rest of them. He eyed it warily but continued on.

“Its safe to step on the shadows.”

He walked to where the stalactites statue started and gingerly lifted a foot. Harry was a second away from calling out to him to stop, he’d already seen one body, he didn’t want to have to watch his git of teacher also die. Not now…

Still he held his tongue, the words trapped forever in his throat. Snape having no idea of the internal struggle Harry was having didn’t look up once. When his foot made contact there was a small wince from almost everyone, but there was no jolt or collapsing. Instead Snape steadily placed the other foot onto the golden platform beneath him and turned to the rest of the group as if they truly were complete and utter moronic first years.

Harry walked out next, placing his feet exactly in the same place Snape had. Indeed the ground beneath him didn’t seem quite so much like the thinner liquid still moving to fill the cave, it was hard and stable.

Next was the mousy looking women who was questioning Snape before, Harry supposed she was the type to be easily convinced. Then came Tracy and Mike looking slightly relived now that there frantic searching was over. They were taking up almost all of the space cast by the shadow so Snape stepped onto the next one and Harry followed to give the others space to come across.

Snape continually led them through the overlaid shadows that really did seem to form an elaborate pathway to the door. Harry was focused on his footing when a small noise altered him to someone falling behind him. The women desperately tried to stop herself from meeting the volatile gold and grabbed out in distress to anything nearby. Unfortunately, Harry happened to be nearby and he was not large enough to stop her descent, Harry’s own panic kicked in as he too was now falling and seconds away from meeting his death, instead of hitting the gold, a strong grip grabbed Harry’s collar and stopped his velocity. This too had the effect of stopping the other women from falling.

There was a few seconds of heavy laboured breathing as they took in what just happened. Harry looked up at his surprising saviour and nodded a small thanks. Snape rolled his eye and snarled a “Be careful!” in the direction of the mousy women.

They continued towards their way of escape but Harry was now more than just aware of his own footholds, but the balance of the people in front and behind him as well. Snape too had taken to excessively checking over his shoulder, no doubt waiting for the next inevitable fall, thankfully there was none and they arrived at archway, the size of a door, shrouded in gold.

At first Harry was worried that they would be stuck here and unable to get through. However as soon as Snape approached the doorway is glowed green and the gold blocking it, vanished. Soon they were all through and back to the claustrophobic tunnels that characterised this place. The tension of the group evaporated and people began to joke about the strange occurrence. Harry to let out a sigh of relief and noticed that even Snape seemed a little less rigid.

Thompson came up next to them and clapped a large hand on his shoulder that made him wince slightly.

“I suppose I owe you two thanks, ‘specially you Professor. Cunning man you are hey?”

Snape didn’t drop his usual scowl, “I suppose.”

Harry though that was a rude way to respond to a compliment but kept his own mouth shut. Once more they found themselves marching into a different type of shadows.

***
Severus was beginning to dislike this man and his followers more and more. He was too friendly, too polite, he always regarded such traits with heavy suspicion. He didn’t know their motivations, connections or allegiances; a dangerous situation. He did know one thing however, they were interested in Potter for some reason. They knew there names but maybe they also knew who they were? Severus often caught the strange look Thompson would throw the boy’s way, he made a promise to stay alert. He was a spy after all and collecting information was a job he knew how to do.

When they stopped for lunch, he surreptitiously checked the food and water for any sign of potions and found them clean. Checking food and water that wasn’t his own was a habit he’d had since his days in Hogwarts and it had proved very useful a few times.

The boy seemed completely oblivious of course, happily chatting away to a a few of the group about the gross dampness of the tunnels. Severus once again fought the urge to roll his eyes, Potter had absolutely zero subtlety, how the boy had managed to survive he had no idea.

He also found himself wondering about the newly acquired information about Potter’s treatment at the hands of his relatives. How had Potter hidden it for so long? surely the boy had hordes of adoring fans who would be up in arms if anyone so much as looked a the boy wrong….. but apparently not. Instead there was only he, Severus Snape, who knew that the Boy-Who-Lived had lived his life in a cupboard for 11 years. A fact that still made him bristle in anger. He was having trouble reconciling the fact that Dumbledore had not known, the Headmaster had mysterious ways of being pretty much aware of everything that happened in and round Hogwarts. But the idea he had known and done nothing… well that thought just didn’t bare considering. Besides they had more immediate problems to be considering, like how they were ever going to find this dammed stone.

He waited until Potter was alone and approached him.

“Do you truly still believe we’re better off with these people Potter?” The boy jumped in surprise and turned his leafy green eyes on him. Regaining his composure he set his feet apart and spoke

“ ‘Harry’, remember, you made a deal. And yes, doesn’t today prove that? we got out of there alive didn’t we?”

Annoyance quickly built and bled into his voice. “Hardly, I believe that room would currently be filled with corpses if I hadn’t been there. They’re unfortunate idiots at best.”

“Professor, staying with them costs us nothing and we get food and water out of it.”

“Are you so sure that it does not cost us anything? What of the time we waste while we travel at their slower pace.” He rebuked. “Or the the fact that they may indeed try to use us to their own advantage.”

Potter’s eyebrows drew together in anger “Maybe your just completely paranoid or maybe, you really do hate everyone else around you!”

Severus bristled, and said in what was almost a growl “Do you think this is a matter of personal preference? I assure my paranoia is justified and is you weren’t so full of Gryffindor arrogance and bull headedness you might just perceive that we are not in a situation where everyone you meet wishes you well. Understand this, you are only here to. Serve. A. Purpose. Potter. You do not, get a say.”

The boy’s bravado faded almost completely much to Severus’s satisfaction. “Alright I get it.” The next part was only just audible “And it’s Harry.”

There was an awkward silence for a few seconds as Severus pondered if maybe the boy did have a point, it was very possible he was being over-paranoid and he was sure that if it came to a fight they would be over power the group. Their low stocks of food and water proposed another problem, they could steal some but Severus didn’t know if he was completely heartlessness enough to let these people die. Potter would certainly have a problem with it.

“I believe that perhaps we will continue with these people, but that does not mean I trust them. Neither should you.”

Potter looked up in surprise, then faintly smiled. Damnn the boy for getting his way. Not wishing to participate in the conversation he turned and walked away to a fairly secluded corner. He almost let out a heavy sigh as Thompson approached him, could he not get a minute of silence?

“Handsome young lad you’ve got there, how’d you two end up ‘ere anyway? Aren’t you ‘is professor?”

“Yes I am his teacher, and as for how we’re here I suggest you mind your own business.”

It seemed there was nothing he could say to deter the man, “Ah well, can’t fault a man for tryin’. The boy though, he’s certainly something ain’t he. Didn’t even blink when ‘is life was at stake.”

“Yes, the stupidity of bravery, how awe-inspiring.”

The man's throaty chuckle continued to grate on Severus’s last nerve. “I suppose you can call it that. Just curious about such a strong young lad. Care to tell me anymore?”

Severus stopped trying to nurse the growing headache he was developing and truly looked at Thompson, the man seemed honest enough with such a warmth about him but his underlying tone was enough to ring alarm bells for him.

“Just stay away from him. And me too for that matter.”

A very brief flash of annoyance crossed the older man’s face before it settled into a look of nonchalance and he shrugged his shoulders.

“Alright, suit yourself.”

Watching the man leave, once again Severus felt a bit wary about his decision to stay. He looked over at his apparent charge and watched him help stoke one of the campfires, why must the boy attract trouble at every, single, turn.

***

Harry felt the eyes on him as Snape watched him. He was surprised at the mans change of decision, in fact he was surprised at pretty much everything Snape had done since he’d first seen him this summer. He acted like a reasonable, albeit stern, human being; something that seemed impossible to him since he’d set foot in a potions classroom. The fact that Snape knew so many of his secrets made him extremely wary of the man, the potions master had enough ammunition to make the rest of his time at Hogwarts an absolute hell.

He let the thoughts go as wrapped his cloak around him and settled into the warmth of the fire. The dancing flames providing a welcome distraction from his troubles. He didn’t even realise he must’ve fallen asleep until a hand was shaking him awake.

“Potter, wake up.”

He opened a eyelid made of lead and viewed the dark figure figure in front of him.

“Snape..?” he slurred as his brain worked through his mouth.

“Professor Snape. And yes,”

Gradually he came back to the world of living and felt the unforgiving stone beneath himself.

“Evidently, Potter, you seem to have decided that the ground would offer the most comfortable bedding despite it being made made of solid rock. The tent to my right is free or, if you rather you can continue your little siesta out here.”

It took a minute to translate all of Snape’s sentence and understand what the man actually meant. The thought of collapsing onto a softer bed was enticing enough to agree with Snape had said so he just nodded dumbly.

It earned him a rather exasperated glance as he struggled to get vertical. Eventually he was walking, following Snape. The moment he saw the camp bed, he fell onto it.

“It’s Harry,” he mumbled out, surely the man could simply just say his name. His eyes closed but he still heard the unexpected response.

“Alright, have it your way. Goodnight Harry.”