Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 12: Dead to Me

Previously on WTHIH...

 

"DID YOU KNOW BEFORE? HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN, YOU BASTARD!"

 

As Harry screamed this, from the professor's point of view the intruder was completely covered in darkness. There was no light shining showing the intruders true face. Severus having been a spy for years, had developed stealth; meaning he always was ready for a fight. Pulling his wand from under his pillow he did the only thing that came to his mind at 1:05am. A spell in which he knew would take down an intruder, a spell for enemies.

 

Slicing his wand through the air, the intruder hit the ground with a loud thump. His screams shrieking to a higher pitch as the spell struck him. Having just awoken from sleep Severus could not hear a word that was being screamed at him. All besides the last "Bastard".

 

Swiftly getting up, and lighting all the lights, his blood ran cold, seeing his sons blood running all over the floor. The Sectumsempra spell having cut him on his chest, very close to the neck. Severus fell on the ground grabbing for his boy. However, as he went to him, Harry tried valiantly to shift away, muttering in a broken voice "I hate you".

 

Severus finally registered what the boy had been saying the moment his eyes met the now bloody letter still clutched like a lifeline in Harry's hand.

 

 

 

Chapter 12: Dead to me

 

Spinners End

Vulnera Sanentur.... Vulnera Sanentur, this was all that could be heard on a cold chilly morning at Spinners End. After having lost a tremendous deal of blood, Harry had fallen unconscious. His father tried valiantly to heal his son's wounds, this however took time. Whilst there was only one gash on the boy's chest, it ran from the bottom of his neck to his naval. The professor's voice was shaking as he moved his wand from one end to the other end of the cut. Shame was evidently plastered on the professor's face. After spending 20 minutes chanting the counter curse to his spell, Severus Snape leaned back onto the heels of his feet looking at his work. Whilst the boy still had a very noticeable scar, the wound was closed. Checking the boy's pulse, Severus quickly made his way downstairs to his potion's rooms. He realised as he could have accio'd his supplies, however he couldn't bare looking at Harry Potter like that. Another scar he would add to a list of many, it would seem. Retrieving the needed healing supplies, Severus walked back upstairs and kneeled once again on the ground, making it a mission to rid Harry of the scars he had not an hour ago inflicted.

 

After applying a plethora of balms and creams, he finished by applying a few Essence of Dittany drops. The drops sizzled on the boy's skin, helping the wound to close. As the professor applied a few more drops, Harry started to stir awake.

"Relax, don't move too suddenly" Severus was saying in a soft yet anxious voice. Suddenly, almost as if lightening had struck, Harry sat upright in a flash.

 

"Ahhssss" Harry half yelled and hissed in pain. Looking up, as soon as he saw Snape, he scurried back towards the hallway.

 

"Harry, don't move, you're in pain" Severus said pleadingly. His eyes had dark circles and looked as if he had been crying for a while.

 

"Don't, call, me, Harry." Harry said in a very deadly voice, almost a replica of his father's own. Stubbornly Harry tried to right himself and stand up. Which he achieved, yet was heavily relying on the wall behind him, to help him stay upright.

 

"I am so sorry Harry, words do not explain how sorry I truly am. After years of being a spy, I have quick reflexes, and thought you were an intruder. You need to listen to me, please sit down, you have lost a lot of blood, I was just going to give you a blood replenisher; however you woke up." Leaning into a potions box, the master retrieved the blood replenisher and handed it to Harry.

 

As soon as Harry held it, with whatever energy he had left, he threw it straight at the professor. However, with quick reflexes ducked, the potions shattering on the wall above the professor's chest of draws. Harry having lost his ability to stand, crumbled to the floor sobbing whilst leaning against the wall.

 

Severus at seeing this spoke "I understand how painful this must be for you. Please take the blood replenisher and pain reliever if you're in pain." At hearing this Harry laughed, a cold laugh. Severus' face falling and looking concerned.

 

"How long have you known?" Harry asked in a soft voice. After the professor did not reply Harry shouted those same words again.

 

Face crumbling, the professor looked at the ground, at the letter; He had forgotten about that.

"Harry, I can explain"

 

"Explain what you bastard? I lived with you for the majority of the summer, and you never told me anything. Mum said in my letter, that she sent you a letter before I was sent mine.

I read her letter, five times over. I don't believer it, how do I know that you didn't write it. Just to torture me one last time. Got nothing to say? Well let me tell you something..." Harry paused as he was interrupted by the professor.

 

"I do have something to say. Think about what you are saying Harry, I understand that you feel that you have been deceived. But the reality is that that letter is in fact real. (The professor sits on the ground opposite Harry, holding the letter Lily wrote to their son)

Your mother and I agreed a long time ago, that I remove my memories. Well... It was more my idea than your mothers. Your father... James... he helped at a time that I could not, I will never be able to repay him for that. I don't expect you to see me as your father, considering James.... What I'm trying to say is that."

 

Stuck on his words Severus did not really know how to express his feelings or word his thoughts.

 

Harry was sitting there looking miserable. Looking Snape in the eye, Harry straightened his back and gave the professor a look of loathing.

 

"That's right, James was the one that died for me, protected me. He will be and has been a better father to me than you will ever be. You abandoned my mum and me all those years ago. So, is that why you were nicer to me this summer? Mhmm, was the guilt just too much?" Harry's voice had started to rise as he progressed in his rant.

 

"I don't have anything to say to you really. But just one thing before I leave...."

 

You're not leaving, your hurt'

 

"JUST ONE THING! My letter, the one your holding; was lost. I asked you if you had seen it, and you said no. Were you telling the truth?" Harry looked murderous.

 

"I will tell you the truth Harry. No, I was not telling the truth. I took the letters are stored them in my draw. I had only just read my own, and needed some time to acknowledge everyt..."

 

"I KNEW IT! I knew they were here. I wanted to hard to believe that you didn't have them, because really; why would you withhold some letters from me. But now I understand. Well let me explain something to you. You can stop the act, of being nice to me. You will never be a father to me. James Potter was my father, you're just a mistake; I don't know what my mother saw in you.

I don't want you as my father. I had a dad, and he died trying to protect me. Him, not you, you just decided to dump mum and I when things were getting tough; coward.

 

Forget about us being civil to each other, that's over for me. Your dead to me, just as dead as my dead father." With that being said, Harry gathered all of his strength and pulled himself together. Flocking down the stairs, he went through the floo network back to Grimmauld Place.

 

Severus meanwhile was upstairs, he was still sitting on the ground holding Lily's letter to Harry. Without making a noise, he sat there silently crying looking at a fixed spot on the floor. He hadn't even explained to Harry about the memories removed by Lily. Or that the only reason he had left Lily and Harry, was because he didn't want to be of danger to them.

 

Feelings of depression whirled within him, as he realised that his son would never talk or see him again. Well, he would be talking to him at school and seeing the boy. However never in the same way as this summer.

 

 

Hogwarts Express

 

Harry was sitting with Neville and Luna, whilst Ron and Hermione did rounds on the train as prefects. Ginny was off with who knew what new boyfriend, having gone through so many already. With no girls on his mind, Harry sat very quietly on the train; his friends picking up on his mood.

 

"Hey Harry, do you want to play exploding snap?" Asked Neville. Without replying Harry merely shook his head, sighing Neville went back to his book.

 

After one hour had gone past, Harry and Neville had received an invitation to join the new teacher at Hogwarts, Professor Slughorn for some lunch.

Harry sat there, not speaking that much. Professor Slughorn did not seem impressed by Marcus Belby as well as Neville Longbottom. Slughorn kept his comments to himself, however he thought Harry was very different to his exuberant father, and charming mother.  Harry answered the professor's questions and was respectful; however mostly kept quiet.

After excusing himself, Harry heard the professor ask one of the other students in the dinning cart if he were feeling well; the truth, No.  

 

Back in his train car, Luna sat peering out the window. With Ron and Hermione talking to each other. Harry slid through the door back onto his seat. Hermione and Ron tried to communicate with Harry throughout the train ride, to no avail Harry didn't utter more than a few words.

 

Once the train started to slow down, preparing for their arrival. Harry snatched his backpack and took his clothes to change into robes. Harry left the train 30 minutes later alone, trying to ditch his friends. Everyone was so loud, and constantly talking; all he wanted was silence. Deciding to walk back to school instead of ridding the Thestral drawn carriages, Harry finally breathed a sigh of relief.

Walking onto the school grounds Harry met Hagrid along the way, who he greeted.

 

"Congratulations on' ya getting Quidditch Ca'tain Harry" Harry merely thanked Hagrid put on his best smile and walked towards the castle. Having powerwalked most of the way to the castle Harry was the first student there. As he was walking into the castle towards the great hall, he physically bumped into somebody. Looking up he saw the person who was trying not to think about; yet failing.

 

"Harry, what are you doing here already, is everything alright?" Professor Snape asked, looking over Harry in concern.

 

"I would appreciate it Sir, if you would call me by my last name" and with that Harry strode off. Leaving Severus bewildered. Gone was the boy he knew from before. This child, that had stood in front of him, had been a young man. Riddled with worry, which only reminded Severus too much of himself as a young boy. With one more look at the Great Hall. Severus walked on the grounds towards the front gates of Hogwarts, to observe Mr Filtch and the Aurors. On his way to the gates, he stopped, only just realising something. Lily had said that the spell put on Harry to alter his appearance would stop after his 16th Birthday. Remembering what Harry looked like not 5 minutes, Severus was taken aback.

 

His son's hair whilst still maintaining its raven black colour lied flatter, and less scruffy. His eyes remained the same beautiful green. Whilst his face had gained slightly higher cheekbones, more delicate eyebrows and thank Merlin Lily's nose. Severus noted, that his features along with Lily's were truly starting to make a very handsome child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Another chapter, coming today!