Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 14: Friend's Don't Lie

Previously on WTHIH

"You really are growing into quite a handsome young man. It is just a pity that your mother couldn't be here to see you" Severus looking out the window, swallowing back his emotion; tears welling in his eyes. Harry darted his eyes back and forth from the professor to the mirror he was holding.

Harry was confused of the man's behaviour towards him. To be fair, the teacher's behaviour hadn't changed from the holidays; only his own. Placing the mirror back down to the table, Harry sat back in his chair whilst slumping.

Severus snapped out of his past musings. Standing up from his seat, he began to pace back and forth.

"I am very disappointed with your school work Harry. Whilst you have not been a dumb child, I have seen better work than this from Longbottom. Your mother and James Potter did not die, for you to throw your life away. From now on, you will be confined after class to my personal quarters. I will help you with all of your homework if need be. Normally I spend the time marking papers, which I will be doing, however should you feel the need to ask me any questions you will do so.

I will hear no arguments from you, you can hate me all you want; however this is happening. By all means if you wish to leave straight after our 'tutoring sessions' by all means; leave. If you need someone to speak to, then you may stay, if you want to have some tea and play chess like we did during the summer; we will do so. But let me make this clear. We will improve those marks, no son of mine and Lily's will have sub-par results; is that understood?"

"Yes" Harry murmured.

"Yes Sir" Professor Snape repeated.

"There's no need to call me Sir, Professor" Severus Snape, known to be an extremely stern man, looked at Harry right in the eye. Waited 10 seconds, then burst out laughing whilst shaking his head.

Harry jumped when he heard his professors booming laugh, it was not malicious, but a hearty laugh.

The potions master unlocked the door whilst his laughing simmered down. Smiling and shaking his head back and forth he picked up Harry's backpack and handed it to the bewildered child.

"Take this and go, I should be docking points for that. However, as the last part of my conversation was as a father, not a teacher; I will let it slide. I believe I have gotten my point across. Our tutoring will be effective immediately. Meaning that tomorrow morning expect an own for me with directions on how to get to my quarters, as well as a password; for once you remember the pathway to my quarters. Do you understand Harry?"

Harry, too bewildered at what he had heard this afternoon, could do nothing but nod his head. Taking back his backpack, the professor unlocked the door, and gently pushed Harry into the hallway. Harry turned around to see Snape walk the opposite direction. Shaking his head, he retreated back to Gryffindor Tower.


WTHIH: Chapter 14

Friends don't lie

True to his word, Severus Snape did indeed send out an owl that morning to Harry. Sitting at the head table, Severus Snape watched as his son munched on a piece of toast. He noticed, that he was not sitting with his friends, who were a few seats down. Harry kept his head down, his eyebrows creased; deep in thought. Noticing this, Severus smiled to himself realising how much of Harry's mannerisms shadowed his own. As the time went to 8:15am a mass of owls entered the great hall dropping parcels near their owners. Hedwig, Harry's owl swooped close to his owner's head, dropping a letter.

Harry swallowed his last piece of toast, then grabbed his letter off the table. Looking at the front of the letter, Harry saw that there was no from address. Opening the letter quickly, he looked over the contents of the letter, looking at the final line to see "From, Severus". At reading this, Harry scrunched his shoulders inwards, and ducked his head over the letter. Looking up he noticed that Neville was looking at Harry and the letter in interest. At seeing this, Harry folded the letter, and stored it into his breast pocket. Grabbing one more piece of toast, the young Gryffindor scraped some jam onto it. Slinging his back over his shoulder he quickly left the Great Hall.

Shuffling off to an empty narrow corridor, Harry took out the letter, and sat on an empty ledge next to a large window. Squinting, Harry read the letter, line by line.

"Dear Harry

As I mentioned yesterday during your detention, I will for the foreseeable future be requesting your attendance in my quarters after school. Every weekday 4:00pm till 9:00, with a dinner break 6:00-7:00pm. Please bring all your homework for the day to complete, as well as past essays; as your marks were dreadful. Meet me in my office at 4pm sharp. Also, a reminder on what we discussed previously about your grades. I want you listening in class and completing your assignments to a high standard. I will find out from your teacher if this is not the case.

Regards,

Severus Snape"

Harry sat staring at the letter for what seemed a very long time. Every night, those words alone sending triggers to Harry's brain. What about quidditch? I don't want to spend all that time with HIM! Sulking, Harry crumpled the letter shoving it to the bottom of his bag. Walking to his first class, he stumbled across Hermione and Ron in the hallway. They both greeted Harry, dragging him over to their seats in Transfiguration. Hermione spent the lesson listening intently to every single word. Whilst Ron, spent his time trying and failing to accomplish the class assignment. Finding it more important to talk with Harry for the whole class. The words from Snape's letter rung in Harry's head. Trying to listen to his professor and complete his work, Harry tried to block out Ron's words. Why all of a sudden was he doing what professor Snape said? Did he want to keep his teacher off his back, or want to make his father proud? With the end of class, Harry rushed to pack his belongings and get to his other class.

"Harry! Why are you rushing, wait up!" Ron yelled through the hallway.

Hermione was shuffling through people trying to catch up with both the boys. Harry urgently wedged himself next to a Hufflepuff at the front of Charms class. When Ron and Hermione burst into the room wheezing from having practically run all the way to class. They scanned the classroom to find their friend, when their eyes landed on Harry sitting at the front of the classroom with a random Hufflepuff. Ron's eyes goggled, at this sight. Hermione rushed forward trying to get a seat directly behind Harry; Ron following in suit.

"Why did you run Harry?" asked Hermione.

"I just wanted to get a good seat is all" Harry whispered back, focusing all his attention on Professor Flitwick; as he had just started to take the roll.

Hermione looked at Ron bewildered, shrugging her shoulders she turned her attention to class. Ron on the other hand spent the whole class puzzled by Harry's strange behaviour. After class had concluded, Ron and Hermione went to recess whilst dragging Harry with them.

Sitting at the table, both Hermione and Ron started to interrogate him.

"What's wrong with you? You seem so jumpy, and you're always running to and from classes; your starting to remind me of Hermione…. OWW!" Ron rubbed his upper arm after Hermione had elbowed him.

"What Ron means to say, is that we haven't seen much of you lately? We miss you is all" Hermione reiterated.

"I'm not avoiding you, I've just got things on my mind" Harry said; half lying. He most certainly did have things on his mind. But he didn't know how to broach the subject. His fath… Snape has told him that he could mention their relationship to his friends. But he was worried how they would react, he still didn't know what to feel about the situation.

"Well, we haven't spoken in ages, you have been acting strangely all summer….." Hermione cut off Ron.

"We just want to make sure everything is alright" Hermione said in a sincere voice.

"Alright? No, it's not been alright. First, I start to actually like him, then I thought he hated me, now I HATE HIM…. I hate him" Harry finished in a whisper. Grabbing his bags, he literally ran from the Great Hall.

Hermione and Ron sat behind, looking at each other trying to decipher what on earth Harry had said.


Back in the Common Room, Hermione and Ron were whispering to each other. Meanwhile, Harry had entered the common room, and leaped up the stairs to the boy's dorms.

"What you're saying Hermione is ridiculous!"

"Well do you have another answer?" Hermione huffed.

"He could be talking about Sirius you know" Ron said, but not sounding totally convincing.

Just as Hermione was about to reply, they both shut their mouths when they saw Harry descend the stairs; his backpack slung across his shoulders.

"We will just ask him later" Ron said in finality.

They both went their own way, Hermione to the Library to do research for her Herbology Essay. Ron sitting by the window, watching the students flying on the Quidditch Pitch.


As Harry had walked down the stairs from the boy's dorms, he could hear Hermione and Ron's hushed voices. For once, he didn't care that they were talking about him behind his back. He had to go see Snape, and that was far more daunting and upsetting, then his two friends gossiping about him.

Walking down to the dungeons, gave Harry too much time to think and stew over his problems. He stood in front of Snape's office for 2 minutes before he had the courage to knock on the door. All of a sudden, the door swung open, Harry taking a step back in shock. Professor Snape was holding the door open, whilst a first year Slytherin all but ran from the office.

"Ah, Mr Potter on time I see, well there is a first time for everything; come in." Snape still holding the door open, waiting for Harry to enter.

Slowly, Harry entered the room, making sure to keep as much space from Snape as possible. Harry went to sit on the seat in front of the professor's desk. However, Snape did not sit at his desk, instead choosing to walk over to a door on the other side of the room. Pointing towards the door, Severus motioned for Harry to get up and follow him. Harry grabbed his bag and walked hesitantly towards the professor.

"Uh where are we going?" Harry asked.

"Did you not properly read my …"

"I did" Harry replied quickly.

"Well, we are going to my quarters, as stated. But first, hold out your hand" Severus took out his wand, waving it in a circle around Harry's right hand; and chanting in ancient runes. After a minute, Harry's hand glowed gold for a few seconds, then tingled for another minute.

"From now on, you may enter my office, and use this door here" Snape pointed to the door they were both standing in-front of.

"There is no password, the spell I just performed will allow you to enter at any time. However, if you were being coerced into entering; then it won't open." Pulling open the door, Severus motioned for Harry to enter first. After walking down a narrow corridor, they finally stumbled onto another door. Harry twisted the knob and opened the door to be quite surprised at his surroundings.

Severus moved around Harry, to walk to the cloak rack. He slowly un buttoned his robes, hanging them up. Harry meanwhile was taking in his surroundings. While the room was not bright, it was not dark either. The walls were a mix of dark stone, and a light grey paint. They were standing in the lounge room, and the next room being the kitchen. Further down there was a hallway, which went to Snape's bedroom, bathroom and spare room. Severus had decided to sit on the one and only armchair in the room; Harry slowly shuffling his way over to the couch.

"So, why did you run out of the Great Hall today?" Snape asked curiously.

"I didn't run" Harry said flinching.

"Well, something upset you. Is it your friends? I don't think I've seen you sit with them once this term."

"Well, I've got nothing to say to them" Harry said sulkily.

"Really? Well that's quite unfortunate. Remember when I told you during our last detention together to keep your friends close, and to not push them away? Well, so quick we are to forget"

"I'm not QUICK TO FORGET" Harry yelled the last part.

The professor merely raised his eyebrows at his son's insolence. Deciding not to say anything, the professor slowly stood up and looked down his nose at Harry.

"Come with me, young man" The professor said in a low voice. Harry on the other hand gulped, and slowly followed behind Snape.

Severus Snape led Harry into the small corridor, when he stopped abruptly; causing Harry to almost bump into him. The professor opened the door, and motioned Harry to step inside. Harry winced before entering, wondering how many cauldrons the professor was going to make him clean for his rudeness. Upon entering the room, whilst it was chilly; like all parts of the dungeon. This room was shrouded in light. There must have been more than 20 candles in the room, it gave it a very calming atmosphere.

"So, what do you think?" The professor said, bringing Harry out of his thoughts suddenly.

Harry looked from the room to his professor, then back to look at his surroundings. In the corner there was a very nice oak desk. Which contained spare parchment, a few quills and an ink pot. There were a few cupboards along the right side near the desk, which was also the same wood as the desk. The other side contained a very comfortable looking canopy bed. The duvet was a dark grey with blue trimmings, similar to the ones at his old bedroom… Harry's mind wandered. Was it really still his bedroom? Harry thought back to his room at Spinners End. Looking around the room again, Harry furrowed his brow; which closely resembled his fathers.

"I don't understand..." Harry started, but was soon silenced by Snape.

"I tried to make it as similar to your room at Spinners End"

Harry's ears perking when he heard the professor still call his room "his room"!

"I know that right now we are not seeing eye to eye. And if I'm honest I don't know if we ever will again. I am truly sorry from keeping our relationship from you. But I am willing to make it work. So, I suppose this room is my way of saying that I would like to spend more time with you. I won't lie to you, when I gave you our remedial lessons after class it was with the hope that I could spend more time with you; whilst of coarse trying to help you improve your studies." The professor walked over to the desk chair and sat down.

"I won't force you to ever stay down here, but this is your room now; so come and go as you please. I hope everything is to your liking, through that door is an ensuite. I know that you have been having problems with your friends, you may come here to spend some time alone if you wish; I won't ask why. But if you ever feel the need to talk about anything, know that I will be here to listen to you." With his final word, Severus stood up ready to leave the room.

Harry, Severus noticed looked to be in a daze. He blinked his eyes slowly, looking at the room closely. Their eyes locked, and Severus was instantly concerned, Harry's eyes were filled to the brim with tears. Severus could tell that Harry's breathing had picked up, and he looked around frantically. Severus stepped forward ready to guide the boy out of the room to have some calming draught, when Harry bolted out of the room.

Severus was closely at the boy's heels. Harry had grabbed his backpack from the sitting area and ran for the door. Severus slowed down however, once he heard Harry's strangled voice, "I need to be alone". And with that, Severus stayed back, looking at the now empty corridor. Had it been too much, giving the boy a room in his quarters? Surely not. With a sigh, Severus went to the kitchen to make himself a tea in silence.


Harry ran at top speed, all the way to the common room. He bumped into someone at full force knocking them over. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, Harry realised that he had bumped into Hermione. She hastily tried to pick up all her library books, whilst Ron ran from down the hall to help.

"That was some hit! what were you running that fast for Harry?" Ron asked curiously.

Once they had gathered all of Hermione's books, Ron noticed that there was something off about Harry.

"What's wrong mate? You don't look too good" Ron asked. Hermione now, also looked at Harry with concern.

"It's nothing" Harry said looking at the floor, a lone tear trickling down his face.

"It doesn't seem like nothing, please don't push us away! Tell us so we can help fix things" Hermione said now pulling and shaking Harry's robe.

"There is nothing you can do fix this" Harry said saddened by the reality of his situation.

"Come on, there's an empty classroom, you can tell us everything." Ron pulled Hermione's books into his arms and shuffled everyone into the room.

It seemed like forever until Harry started to talk. But once he started, he couldn't stop. He told them everything about the summer. The letters, the fact that he had stayed at Snape's house, how it had then been burnt down by the Death Eaters. All of Snape's and his belongings being destroyed, and them having to move into Spinners End. Then finally, how Harry had found out that his real father was in fact Snape. He had to tell them over and over again that it was not a ruse, it was in fact real. After an hour of talking, Harry hunched back and waited for his friends to say something, anything.

"You knew about this the whole summer and didn't tell us?!" Hermione said, tears filling her eyes.

"I told you, it wasn't safe at that tim..." Harry was cut off by Ron's harsh voice.

"Yeh, but you just said that Snape said it was alright for you to tell us in detention the other day... So why didn't you?!" Harry's whole body at this point was now shaking.

"I don't know!" Harry said frantically, he stood up and started to pace up and down the classroom.

"I thought he was a git, but now… After the summer things started to change. Then I got angry at him, but he's made it abundantly clear that he wants a relationship with me. And I don't know what to do!"

"Well if you had thought to ask one of us, for our opinion… maybe we could have helped earlier. But don't worry, obviously you don't think us that good of friends. Come on Hermione lets go." Ron took Hermione's books with him and flew out of the classroom. Hermione got up from her seat and walked to the door with her shoulders slumped.

"I'm not angry Harry, I'm just hurt you didn't want to tell us. I thought that what you said before… in the common room. I thought your big secret was that you were gay! But now I know better… it was about Profess.. your father. We are your friends, you should have told us. Know that we would never judge you." Hermione stated.

"oh, so you weren't judging me before?!" Harry retorted with tears once again welling up in his eyes.

"It's just… Friends don't lie to each other". And with that being said, Hermione too left the room. Leaving Harry with a tear stained face.


Severus sat quietly on his sofa, holding a mug infused with his favourite tea. He was sitting there stewing over what happened tonight with Harry. When suddenly, a resounding bang reverberated through his apartment. Standing up immediately, Severus went to see what the noise was. When all of a sudden Harry came bursting through the door in full speed. He stopped immediately once he spotted the professor a few feet away.

"What is wrong, what is the meaning of this?!" The professor barked in worry. Harry had all of a sudden slowed down his breathing, and straightened his spine; trying to appear confident but failing to do so.

"Did you not say just an hour ago that I can come and go from my room, and you won't even ask what's the matter?" Harry lifted an eyebrow.

'Well… Yes…" The professor said, remembering what he had in-fact told the boy.

With his answer, Harry went to his room, then slammed the door shut. Severus still stood in the same spot not knowing what to say… or do.

Walking over to Harry's bedroom, he knocked on the door then entered. Just as he was about to ask a question, he was cut off by his son.

"Look, I got into a fight with Ron and Hermione. I hate them, and don't want to see them. I'm gonna stay at home and in my room this weekend; if that's alright with you!" Harry saying the last part sarcastically. And with that, Harry fluffed the top pillow of his bed, took his glasses off then flopped onto his bed. The professor heard a quiet, 'goodnight, shut the door plz'. Without another comment, Severus listened to Harry, and quietly shut the door.


When the professor went back to finish his tea, he could not help but feel a twinge of hopefulness. His son had gotten into a fight with his friends, and instead of fleeing to Gryffindor Tower. He decided to come and stay in his room, at home. And at that final thought, Severus' heart melted, and he started to feel that there was hope once again.