Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4: Surprise, surprise, he's escaped

Severus was standing with his arms crossed looking at Harry. His features were changing so rapidly that Harry could hardly tell what the Professor was thinking. Harry too stood motionless, he was dreading what the professor would do. He was busted! Flying outside even when the professor had said not to go without telling him.

 

Severus continued to stare at Harry, his breathing was shallow, and it looked as though he was ready to explode. They both stood and stared at each other, neither saying anything. Severus was the first person to break the silence “Potter, it has not even been one day, and already you disobey my orders. What were one of the rules?” 

‘To not go outside without telling you first’ Harry replied looking at his feet. 

“Look at me when you speak, not down at the floor! Honestly, did someone put a wand to your head to make you go outside. Like I have already said before, you should not be outside without supervision. This property is secure, however you can never be too sure how powerful your foes are. Your brash thinking and stupidity is what almost got you and your little friends killed at the ministry. You will stop this childish behaviour, this is what I would expect from a four year old. You will be turning 16 this summer, it’s time to grow up Potter. 

Because you have disobeyed my rules, and continue to do childish things you are grounded!.” The professor appeared to be as angry as the time that Harry broke into his pensieve. 

 

Harry stood motionless, not trusting himself to speak; in case he spoke out of turn and made the professor angrier. The professor paced up and down harry’s room and started to speak in a deadly calm voice. “Since you think yourself above the rules, whilst you will not be confined to your room, you will however to the library. You will awaken at the normal time I specified, come for breakfast, then clean up after yourself. You will then go to the library, where you will study everyday for 2 weeks. There will be no little trips outside, therefore you will hand over your broom to me, and when I think that you are acting sensibly you may have it back. Trixy will be looking in on you constantly so any rule breaking, and she will notify me straight away. All privileges will be taken away, meaning no dessert, and definitely sneaking around the hallways. Last year was a flop where you schooling comes to mind. You will take your schooling seriously, I will not have you getting subpar results if I can help it! In the evenings you will help me brew, and let’s just hope that something will sink in.” The professor went on to say that for the remainder of what was left of the evening, Harry would spend it alone and inside his room. 

 

After being sent his dinner, Harry sat sulking in his room slowly eating his pea and ham soup. There was no dessert sent along with his food, only a bowl of vegetables and a lone plum. After deciding that he had eaten enough, Harry decided to go have a shower, to calm his ever growing nerves. ‘How could I have been so stupid! Flying even when the professor had told me not to.’ Harry thought to himself. Harry was frustrated with the fact that he was grounded, it reminded him of what it was like when he lived with the Dursleys. The studying he didn’t mind, as he normally had to complete his assignments on the Hogwarts Express just before school commenced. However the whole situation was just too much for Harry. Living with Snape was turning out to be a nightmare. Harry was under the impression that he was going to be living with Sirius throughout the holidays, it was meant to be their bonding time. Now he was stuck here with the bat of the dungeons helping him make potions. Smashing his hands onto the tiled bathroom wall, Harry turned off the running water and grabbed a towel. Snatching a fresh batch of clothes Harry marched into his walk-in-wardrobe and started to put on an ill matched pair of Dudley’s old clothes. He proceeded to get his Hogwarts backpack and shoved his toothbrush and other day-to-day items into it. Harry at this stage was running on adrenaline, and was acting hastily. He opened his bedroom door and peered down the hallway making sure the coast was clear. Quickly sprinting down the hallway Harry sped around the corners of every room making a dash for the garden. Quickly looking sideways Harry ran to the floo network, when he realised that there was no floo powder left outside. Frantically shaking his head he weighed his options. Run back inside and try to find some floo powder, and risk getting caught? Or accio some, the Ministry would never be the wiser; as this house was bound so tightly with wards. ‘Accio floo powder’ Harry spoke very quietly. Within 10 seconds the pot was in Harry’s trembling hands. Grabbing a hand full of powder Harry spoke his destination and was whisked away. 

 

Snape Manor was silent, only the wind from outside could be heard. Within two minutes loud bangs could be heard. Doors were being slammed open ‘POTTER!’ Professor Snape’s voice howled in fury. Trixy had seen the pot of floo powder floating outside and into Harry’s outstretched hands. After telling the professor he was now beyond mad. 

“That stupid, idiot! What was he thinking? not only sneaking out of the house again! mind you, but stealing my floo powder. What happens if the network was intercepted and the boy gets captured! Grrhhh TRIXYY, go to the floo network and cast some spells, try to find out where that idiot went; i’m getting my travelling cloak.”

 

Within 10 minutes both angry potions teacher and sniffling elf were outside standing in-front of the floo network; having just found out where Harry had gone. ‘Grimmauld Place’ Snape growled in a low voice, Trixy’s ear flattening at hearing his masters tone. Picking up the floo powder pot the Professor doused his hands inside to pick up the powder when he realised that he could feel nothing. Harry in his haste dropped the remaining powder on the ground, which was now scattered amongst the leaves and the wind. The professor’s facial muscles were protruding due to his anger. The only way he could now get to Grimmauld Place would be to apparate there. However, the professor did not know where in London the house was; having always taken the floo network. His next option was to apparate to Hogwarts where he would go to Dumbledore's office, then floo to the Order’s secret house.


 Grimmauld Place

 

Sirius Black and Remus Lupin were both sitting at the dining table when they heard the sound of the floo network. Walking into the other room they saw a Gryffindor backpack fly out of the fireplace, next a scrawny scruffy black haired boy; who fell onto the floor. Grinning at Harry Sirius helped Harry up. 

“What on earth are you doing here at this time of night Harry?” Sirius asked smiling. “Not sick of Snape so seen ey?” His happiness turned into concern, then anger as he analysed Harry’s upset face.

“What the hell did that bastard do to you Harry? I’ll KILL HIM! I mean it…” Sirius was interrupted by Remus. 

“Not to be so hasty Sirius, but I think Harry has some explaining to do.” Guiding Harry, whilst Sirius followed into the dining room, Remus made some tea, and they all sat down to listen to Harry’s story. “So what happened Harry?” Remus asked taking a sip of his black tea.

 

Harry proceeded to tell his godfather and friend what had transpired at Snape Manor during his first day there. He spoke about how Snape had taken away his father’s invisibility cloak and how that tipped him over the edge. About how he would be having to study constantly and how he would have to be in the presence of Snape ever night whilst helping him brew potions. He then went on to ashamedly tell Sirius and Remus about how he disobeyed Snapes orders and went flying without approval.

 

“So let me get this right. You disobey Snape and go outside. He then grounds you and confines you to your room. You then you sneak outside to his floo network, used magic to accio the floo powder and left” Remus finished with astonishment in his voice. Sirius then cut in quickly. 

 

“Well can you blame Harry, stuck with Snape, I would have done the same thing. And confining him to his room, and forcing him…. ‘Yes forcing him to do schoolwork… honestly Sirius that’s not a bad punishment, at least he means for Harry to improve in his school work…” Whilst Harry tuned out his elders who were arguing over his situation, he wondered when or even if Snape had already realised that he was gone.

 


Currently at Hogwarts

 

“The boy’s a menace Headmaster, just like that, stole my floo powder and left. What if the floo network was intercepted and death eaters had captured him.” Severus was pacing around the room whilst throwing his hands up and down for theatrical effect. The headmaster sat at his desk with his hands interlocked. 

“Well at least Severus, we know that he was going for Grimmauld Place, why don’t we both go there now.” “There is no need headmaster I wish to go alone….”  

 

“Yes but going alone might make you do or say something that you will regret. You need to be patient with the boy Severus, he has had a hard life. And yes, I will admit I am the one to take the blame; having him go to the Dursley’s every Summer has hurt the boy. I know that you and him have never seen eye to eye, however I believe that you will surprise yourself Severus. There is something similar about the two of you, find out what that is, and use it to bond.” ‘Bond… nothing to bond about… insolent boy..’ Severus muttered to himself as both professors got ready to floo to Grimmauld Place.


Currently at Grimmauld Place

 

Harry tried to bodily intervene as Sirius and Remus started to argue heatedly about the right parenting for Harry. Turning their heads as they heard a swoosh coming from the next room, the adults ceased fighting and drew their wands; waiting for an intruder. Only to be relieved when the Headmaster walked into the room with Snape trailing on his heels. ‘Potter!’ Severus growled stepping in front of the headmaster looking menacingly at the frightened boy. 

“Now, now Severus; calm down” The headmaster said in a calm voice, whilst reaching out to pry Severus away from Harry. Harry once again begrudgingly told the headmaster why he ran away from Snape’s, looking embarrassed. The headmaster pulled Harry into another room to speak to him alone; and once again explained why Harry needed to stay at the professor’s house. 

 

“While you will be allowed to come over to your godfathers, you must tell professor Snape first. He seemed very distressed when he had learnt that you had gone missing. When you get back to Snape Manor ...and you will go back tonight.. I would like you to apologise to the Professor; do try and make an effort Harry.” The headmaster finished with a smile and gave Harry a pat on the shoulder. Walking back into the room with the adults, Harry had slightly red cheeks due to the Headmasters beratement. Saying his goodbyes once again to his godfather and Remus, he was told to go back and wait inside; Snape was to stay behind and finish talking for a few minutes. 

 

Once Harry had left, Sirius did not waste any time in letting Snape know how he felt. Whilst Remus was trying to diffuse the argument, Severus merely stood still and only raised his right eyebrow towards the end of Sirius’ ranting. “Are you quite finished Black?” Severus asked sneering. “The boy can come to your house on the weekends, that way it is least likely that there will be any Order meetings.” Sirius started to protest again when Dumbledore interrupted, using a slightly strict voice. “That’s enough Sirius, you are not able to care for Harry, Severus can. His house is warded nearly just as good as Hogwarts. In here there is no freedom, Severus has an extensively large garden in which Harry can spend his time in.” Changing his conversation from Sirius to Severus the Headmaster started again. 

“Whilst I know that you have grounded Harry Severus, you will catch more bees with honey; as they say. While I understand that you have grounded him, I think it not fair to keep the boy locked up in his room. It might remind him too much of his time spent with the Dursleys.” Dumbledore was interrupted by Severus “Not fair! The boy is not living in a decrepit room, and being starved of food, you can hardly compare the two. His confinement to his room, will not remind him of the Dursleys i’m sure.”

 

“I think you are well in your rights as the boys guardian for the summer to do this. I am just saying that if you want the boy to stop fighting with you, I would recommend you let him outside, but give him limits. Maybe a time of day that he can go outside. And ease up on the study Severus, he has a whole summer ahead of him, mmhmm” Dumbledore continued lecturing the potions master for another 5 minutes, until Severus made a quick exit.


Back at Snape Manor

 

Harry sat in the living room sprawled out on the couch with his right arm perched over his eyes. He had never felt so embarrassed, why did he have to escape; how did this help his situation? Hearing creaking coming from the floorboards, Harry knew that the professor had finally come back, and would be eager to scream and lecture him some more. Sitting up, Harry waited for the Professor to come into the room, and waited for the onslaught of criticisms directed his way. As the Professor entered the room, he sat down opposite Harry, they both sat in silence for what seemed like an eternity. Eventually the Professor started to speak “I understand that you do not want to be living here with me this summer; I do understand. However, for this to work we both need to be in a better mood, and try to get along, as long as much as possible” The professor said begrudgingly with a slight look of disgust evident on his face. Continuing the professor decided to stand up and walk towards the unlit fireplace, breathing in he began saying “I have decided that you will not be confined to your room. I have decided that we will change your schedule, you may go outside everyday, and will be given free reign over your day.” At hearing this Harry’s eyes widened; was the professor in his right mind?

 

“Everyday you may do as you please. However I would like it if you spent some time on school work, one hour each day; besides weekends of course. You may go outside and walk around the gardens, mind that you remember to let Trixy know. Each night, I would still like us to do some potions work. Your marks really have been abysmal, and that partly is my fault. I will not make potions evening compulsory, you are old enough to make the right decisions. The problem with your behaviour, it seems always comes down to the fact that you have been kept in the dark, and you would like to be considered more independent. So for this reason I am allowing this sort of a schedule. This will be a trial, If I see that your behaviour continues to be good, then you can continue with this sort of a holiday.” The professor moved from the fireplace back to the couch. He looked at Harry to try and figure out what the boy was thinking. Harry looked astonished, and slightly weary. “I’m not sure I understand, what are the rules?” Harry asked confusedly. 

 

“The rules simply are that you start a normal home life routine. Get up, have breakfast, have a shower, go outside for fresh air (maybe exercise), read a book, fly. Yes, before you say anything I am going to give you your broomstick back. If you want to be treated as an adult, I want to see that you can be trusted like one. Be sensible, don’t get up to mischief and be respectful.” Harry interrupted the professor as he was insistent on this one topic. “So what is my punishment If I stuff up?” ‘And do you plan on; stuffing up’ Snape asked with a raised eyebrow. “No sir” Harry spoke in a soft voice, whilst looking at his feet. The professor sighed and spoke the final time for that night. “If you do disobey, or do something that is beyond what I think acceptable, then your freedom around the manor will decrease. Each time you do something bad, you will not be punished by being confined into your room. However you will have to do chores, or maybe even have to gut some frogs.” The professor finished saying that with a smirk and gleam to his eyes.

 

“This has been a long enough day as it is” Looking at the clock Snape realised that it was past 1am. Bidding Harry goodnight they both retired into their rooms. The professor poured himself a bath and massaged his aching head. Not knowing how he was going to get through the summer, the Professor sat there pondering what mischief Harry could potentially cause again, and how he could prevent it.

 

Harry similarly took a shower and placed the items in his backpack back into his closet. Having so much adrenaline, left Harry wide awake. He decided to write a letter of appology to the Professor. Once that was complete his snuck out of his room and down the hallway to slide the letter under the Professor’s door. Going back into his room he was still wide awake. He decided to grab a book from his trunk which he had stolen from Grimmauld Place on jinxes. Crawling into bed, he submerged under the covers and snuggled up with his book. As he opened the front page, he realised that something was poking his hand from the inside of the book. Pulling at the parchment he realised that it was a letter, the letter that his mother had written; for who he was unsure. Looking at the letter, everything else in the world became unfocused. 

 

Magic pulsed from the envelope shaking him through his veins. After gulping, Harry with shaky fingers decided to open the envelope. He had never spoken or verbally read anything that his mother had written, but here it was; an envelope written ‘from Lily’ with no receiver address. Opening the envelope Harry all of a sudden got zapped, and the letter glowed red. Harry had not checked for curses, however all of a sudden he felt very sleepy. His eyes began to close and he fell back onto his pillow. To anyone who walked into Harry’s bedroom they would think him to be asleep. However that was not the truth. The envelope had been jinxed, and anyone who was not supposed to receive the envelope would be immobilised. Harry was in fact awake, however just not able to open his eyes. Becoming slightly frightened Harry tried to calm himself by slowing his breathing.

 

What was in the envelope that Harry’s mother tried so hard to conceal? As Harry tried valiantly to yell and open his eyes, he couldn’t. Fatigue eventually took him, and he fell asleep one hour later. Harry slept peacefully that night, with dreams of his mother writing a letter from her desk, whilst he looked on from his crib. Not knowing if this was  a dream or a memory, Harry was content to see his mother. 

 

The Professor having gotten out of the shower saw something on the floor by his bedroom door. Seeing Harry’s messy chicken scratch writing the Professor read the letter to find that the boy had written him an apology letter. Having not expected the boy to do that, the professor did not know what to think of Harry. As the potions master could not fall asleep, he decided to check in on Harry and see if he was asleep. Opening the door and looking into Harry’s room he saw that Harry was fast asleep. In the dark the professor thought he saw a faint red light on the other side of the boy, but thought nothing of it; thinking himself merely tired.

Little did he know the letter which had been glowing a faint red, had turned into a luminous blue, as he closed the door and left the room.


Next chapter: Not 1, not 2, but three letters.

Chapter End Notes:
Hey Guys, sorry for the late update. Have just come back from travelling and have been recuperating, from a long flight.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to leave some comments and add this to your favourites :)