Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 9: Am I really leaving home?

With only two weeks left of summer break, Harry was sitting at his desk reviewing his homework. Not that he hadn't already finished it, but the professor demanded perfection. Snape would begin by overlooking Harry's essays, then writing in the borders what areas needed improvement. He made Harry write at least 2 drafts for every subject until he wrote his final piece of work. The professor had also advised him in dropping divination, even without his OWL results, Harry knew he was going to drop it.

The summer consisted of Harry reading, writing and tending to the garden. The professor had some dead discarded plants, but with Harry's care they were now revived. Even though this was a task that the Dursley's made him do, he often enjoyed being outside and in the sun. Summer at the professors was not as bad as he originally thought it would be. He had now grown quite a bit and had more of a quidditch players build; he was no longer the short scrawny boy.

The professor forced him to do potions work every night in the lab. The professor would brew his own potions and Harry would either chop ingredients or brew his own potion. Harry could tell the change of behaviour in the professor, and that he was trying not to get annoyed by his poor potions skills.

"Potter, I know you can do better than this" was Snape's normal retort to his atrocious work. Due to Snape forcing him to read all his potions books from first year till sixth year, he really had improved a lot.

The last potion he brewed two days ago had been the draught of living death, which was a sixth-year potion. The professor had learnt over the summer that Harry did not like him lingering whilst he made potions, and that the boy did much better with him at a distance.

When Potter was finished, the professor came over to assess his work. Snape was surprised, Harry even thought his professor looked proud; almost like a parent would at their child. Harry had brewed a perfect potion, definitely one that deserved an Outstanding. The professor had praised Harry's good work, which only left the boy beaming.


Gathering his thoughts, Harry stopped day dreaming and turned in his chair to look around his room. 'His room', well it wasn't really his, it was his professors; but for this summer it really was his. He looked at his shrunken suitcase and tried to think of what else he needed. Over the holidays Harry would go over every Friday to Sirius' house. Today was no different, however he would be staying for the weekend as well. He was always happy to see his godfather, but he would always let out a sigh of content when he arrived back at Spinners End.

Grabbing his suitcase, he made his way down the stairs and into the lounge room. The door to the basement (potions lab) was open. Harry left his suitcase next to the floo network and entered the potions lab.

"Hey Professor, I'm ready to go" Harry said whilst leaning casually on the table next to where Snape was ladling a potion into a bottle.

"Just wait a minute, this is Lupins Wolfsbane potion, I would like for you to give this to him. If it saves me from seeing the man, by all means." After closing the lid to the bottle, Snape handed over the potion to Harry. Giving him a stern look, which said, "I dare you to drop it".

Harry used to the man's moods by now, merely took the bottle, smiled and trudged up the stairs. After Snape shrunk Harry's trunk, he bid Harry goodbye, reminding him to make sure Lupin took his potion. Waving goodbye, Harry smiled at the professor, then spoke the words 'Number 12 Grimmauld Place'.


Upon landing on the hearth of Grimmauld Place, Sirius hurled himself at Harry. Harry dropped his suitcase and enveloped his godfather in a bear hug. Closing his eyes, he breathed in the scent of his beloved uncle. Even though he saw Sirius less than 2 weeks ago, he had missed him; he loved it when he would tell stories about his mother and father. Withdrawing from their embrace, Sirius was beaming from ear to ear.

"I'm so glad you're here Harry, I've missed you kiddo. 'Kreacher, go and take Harry's suitcase upstairs to his bedroom' Your just in time Harry, Remus just arrived not 10 minutes ago!"

Leading Harry into the kitchen, Harry hugged his old professor. "How have you been Remus?... Oh, I almost forgot, Snape would have killed me" Harry chuckled. He reached inside his jacket where he had stored the wolfsbane potion.

"Here you go Remus. Professor Snape told me to give this to you; that's the last dose" Remus gratefully took the potion, then drank a glass of water to get rid of the after taste.

"Thank you Harry, give Severus my thank.." Remus was interrupted by Sirius' excited banter.

"Oh Harry, I forgot to tell you, I have wonderful news. Professor Dumbledore should be around in 10 minutes to explain" As Sirius finished, they all turned their heads to look through the door of the kitchen; they could hear someone come through the floo network.


Back at Spinners End, Severus was sitting in the kitchen fixing himself a cup of tea. The boy would be gone for 3 days this time. Over the past few weeks, he had come to quite enjoy the boy's company. He realised that like himself the boy enjoyed peace and quiet. He would never make a mess, and he was quite content in occupying himself; either by cooking, gardening or reading. He was very surprised how easily the boy had listened to him in regarding his homework. Harry had completed all of his work and accepted each criticism with maturity.

Without realising it, the potions master had walked up stairs and was now standing at the door of his sons' room. Harry had left a few clothes on the bed, a journal on his bedside table as well as a robe; not to mention some night slippers that were peeking out from under the bed.

Harry had forgotten to take his robe and slippers, should he take them over to the boy?

Retreating downstairs to wash his now empty tea cup, Severus tried to remember if Grimmauld Place was draughty and cool and night. What if the boy walked around bare foot and got sick? The memory of Harry's still body lying at the bottom of the stairs, and pouring blood everyone made Severus shiver. Almost rushing upstairs, Severus grabbed the boys robe and slippers placing them in small canvas bag he had seen on the boy's desk chair.

Walking back to the floo, Severus wondered if the boy had missed anything else. The potions master retreated to the basement where he placed 2 potions in the bag with Harry's other possessions. Going over to his desk, he grabbed a torn/discarded piece of parchment and wrote a small note.

Harry,

These potions are 2 stomach soothers for you to use in-case you accidently eat an overload of confectionary. 

~S

Shoving the parchment into the bag, Severus trudged up the stairs and floo'd over to Grimmauld Place.


Harry leaned over the table to get a better look at who had floo'd over. Sirius' face had gone from happy to sour.

"Snape, what are you doing here" Sirius said vehemently. Harry stood up a curious look on his face.

"Potter, a word please" Harry followed his professor into the lounge room. Looking at Snape, then at the bag 'his bag' that the professor was holding.

"Is something wrong professor? Ah, why do you have my bag sir… and I thought you were going to call me Harry not Potter." Harry was cut off by his professor pushing the bag into Harry's hands.

"You forgot your robe and slippers, it might get cold at night, you don't want to catch a cold, do you?" The professor sniffed, then speaking in a lower voice. "And as for the name, old habits die hard… That's all I wanted Pot… Harry, have a good time with your godfather."

The professor retreating to the fireplace, turning one last time to tell Harry "Don't drop the bag, there are some breakable objects." With that being said, he retreated back to Spinners End.

Walking back to the kitchen Harry could hear Sirius' mutterings about greasy old Slytherins in his house. Harry opened the bag and saw two vials and a note. Taking out the note, he read it then smiled, placing the note into the inside pocket of his jacket.

Remus tilted his head curiously, Sirius looked to Harry then to the bag.

"What did Snivelus want?" Sirius sneered.

"Don't call him that Sirius…(Harry winced) I had forgotten to pack my robe and slippers, he just came to drop them off. Oh, and also 2 vials of stomach soother solution. I think he knows about the small stash of candy we go through every time Sirius." Harry finished by laughing.

"Potions?! You're not going to take them are you Harry? Their probably poisonous."

"Why would Snape poison me? I've been staying at his house for ages, he's never done anything dodgy" Harry responded sounding offended and slightly hurt at what Sirius had said.

'Not for long' Harry thought he heard Sirius mutter.

Remus made his presence known to the two, trying to diffuse the tension. "That was thoughtful of Professor Snape, bringing you your robe and slippers; not to mention the potion. I thought he would berate you for eating that much candy." The professor said smiling sadly. 'Maybe having Harry for the summer had been good for the usually sour professor' Lupin thought.

Harry looked slightly uncomfortable, and said that he would go upstairs and put the bag and potions in his room.


When Harry came back downstairs Professor Dumbledore was sitting at the table talking to Remus. When Harry came into view, Dumbledore smiled widely and greeted his fellow student. He told Harry to sit down, and that he had good news. Harry sat, knowing that this so called 'news' was why Sirius was in such a good mood. Harry sat for what felt like hours, motionless trying to take in what Dumbledore had just told him.

"I have worked tirelessly these past couple of weeks my boy. And I have found a way to secure these headquarters. A new location for the Order of the Phoenix has been chosen, it is smaller, and further away from London. We hope that this will give us more room for privacy.

The good news is that, because there will be no order members at Grimmauld Place, it will only be Sirius, occasionally Remus and now yourself. I have found a way and have secured Grimmauld Place. Congratulations my boy, you will now be able to stay with your godfather indefinitely. I'm sorry that I didn't see the truth about your relatives sooner. But alas, let's not dwell on the past. I'm sure you could collect your belongings from Professor Snape tomorrow." Harry not knowing how to respond, sat there, looking in front of him and at no object in particular. He did however jump at the sudden noise.

Pop! Sounded the bottle of champagne that Sirius just opened. "I think this calls for a celebration don't you think?" As he poured glasses for everyone, Remus was lightly admonishing him for serving a minor alcohol; Sirius just waved him off.

Everyone was clinking their glasses, oblivious to the look Harry was portraying. Without saying anything, Harry failed to pick up his beverage, instead he walked upstairs to his room. He took off his shoes and lied down on the bed. This is what he had been wanting for the past few years. To be away from the Dursley's and to live with his godfather.

But things had somehow changed, Harry only just realised. At first, he dreaded living with Snape for the summer. Spinners End was less than an ideal place, yet so was Grimmauld Place, both houses were shrouded in darkness. However, he couldn't call Grimmauld Place home, Harry knew that deep down, Snape's house had been more of a home to him than anywhere he had ever stayed; besides Hogwarts that is.

Snape had actually been quite alright to him lately, not to mention easy to live with. Harry thought of the similarities between himself and his professor. He had been doing this a lot lately. Maybe that's why he preferred Spinners End, Snape needed his peace and quiet; yet so did he. Here at Grimmauld Place, Sirius demanded Harry's attention pretty much 90% of the day. Wanting to always talk, which Harry didn't mind, but Sirius had never told Harry to do any homework. Which would have been perfect, but in reality, that was not what parents nor guardians should do. Snape insisted that he complete his homework, and when he was done, the professor would proof read everything, giving him hints on what needed improvement.

Sighing, Harry rolled onto his side, only sitting upright when he heard a creek come from the stairs. Sirius entered the room smiling, which then shifted to a frown.

"What's wrong Harry?" Sirius said.

"Nothing, just a lot to take in, you know?" Harry said with a slight shrug of his shoulders; which normally irritated Snape.

Sirius bounced back and was smiling once again. "This is going to be so great kiddo, just how it always should have been. Like Dumbledore said, no looking back at the past just the future. I know there's only 2 weeks left of summer, but you can come back every Christmas and all other holidays; I mean obviously this is your home now. You want to go get all of your stuff from Snivelus' house?" Harry winced hearing his professors horrible nickname.

"I don't want to go barging into his house, maybe I'll get my stuff on Monday, that's when he's expecting me anyways." Sirius abruptly interrupted.

"I say, who cares when he's expecting you. And no offence Harry, but I'm sure he will be glad to get rid of you anyways. It's not like he wanted you this summer anyways" Sirius finished sneering.

Thank Merlin Sirius wasn't looking at Harry, otherwise he would have seen the true hurt that flashed through his godsons' eyes. Harry was shocked, it's not as if he didn't know his professor hated him; well, Snape had told Harry that he didn't. Although, maybe he had taken up too much of his professor's time. Snape had changed, he was much nicer, and Harry could tell that he tried to be patient with him when brewing potions.

'He took me in, and he's been pretty good to me. I can repay him by at least giving him 2 weeks Harry free'. Sighing, Harry told Sirius that he would go to Snape's tomorrow morning.

The rest of the day consisted of Harry talking to Remus, Sirius could be heard happily yelling instructions to Kreacher. 'Clean this room, add this, make sure Harry's room has brighter wall paper' etc.

Harry went to sleep that night, slightly afraid of confronting Snape. Although remembering what Sirius had sad, Harry felt less afraid, after all. Snape didn't truly want him there, so really it would be like a Christmas present come early.

Unbeknown to Harry, the headmaster had not yet told the potions master that his charge would be leaving Spinners End.


Back in Spinners End, the Professor was eating a late dinner whilst reading Potions Weekly. He occasionally looked over at the empty chair opposite him 'Harry's Chair'. Breathing in a big deep breath, Snape threw the article on the table and went about washing the dishes.

The house was eerily quiet, normally by this time Harry and he would be in the basement brewing various potions; or perhaps a game of chess.

As he settled into bed that night he thought to himself 'only a few more nights until Harry is back home'.