Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Where do the rest of us fall?

“What’s this?”  Albus asks, feeling definitely wrong-footed by his usually predictable Potions’ Master.

“When does it stop, Albus?”  Severus shakes his head with a frown.

“When does what stop?”  He answers, standing up and lacing his fingers behind his back.  

“If Potter isn’t safe from his guardians, then where do the rest of us fall in your schemes?”

“My schemes, as you put it, are only for the greater good,” His expression is earnest and it surprises him when Severus merely shakes his head again.

“You will remove him into the care of Hogwarts, or we will go public with this knowledge,” Severus responds.

“Is that a threat?”  He asks, knuckles white behind his back.

“It doesn’t have to be,” Severus allows, finally putting the thick folder down on the desk between them.

“Why don’t you tell me what’s in the folder, my boy,” Albus forces himself to relax.

“The results of your efforts towards the ‘greater good,’” Severus answers with the ghost of a bitter smile.  “Poppy has helped me gather the information as far back as we can find.”

“Since when?”

“Since you became employed here.”

Severus’ dark eyes feel as though they are piercing his very soul.