Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's an image of how the alley's are in the story now. I had to make this for myself to visualize things so I could know how to describe them. Dark blue buildings are buildings Harry owns. Light blue grayish buildings are ones he doesn't own. Green indicates the Muggle businesses and buildings along the Muggle roads.

A History Lesson
Harry was in awe of how good the orphanage looked when work was completed. As soon as Mrs. Ginger and Miss Ava had returned with the children from Hogwarts and seen that work was completed, they sent Justin to fetch Harry so he could look at everything with them.

"It's so beautiful Harry," Mrs. Ginger said in tears as they went into the kitchen together. The other kids had all scattered to go look at their rooms, but Harry and Justin stayed with Mrs. Ginger and Miss Ava. The kitchen had been painted a calming shade of green like sage, the beat up wooden counters had been replaced with smooth gray stone, and the floor had been replaced with large smooth slabs of dark gray stone with brown flecks. His eyes roamed over the aged stove and sink that were still in place, and he made a mental note to have those replaced at some point too. Even so, this was a kitchen even aunt Petunia would have been proud of.

"Let's go upstairs and see the third floor," Miss Ava said as Mrs. Ginger dabbed at her eyes and then blew her nose.

It took a moment to find their way to the stairs since the two women had had the work crew rearrange some walls, but they found them and made their way up, deciding to look at the second floor later and passing it by.

The third floor was no longer a picture of decay. Large windows along two walls flooded the classroom and library with light. One wall of windows looked over the rooftops of Knockturn Alley, and Harry noted that you could even see the front of the apothecary on Diagon. The shopkeep was sweeping the cobblestone out front before he closed up for the evening.

"I didn't realize the building was so tall," Justin said, looking out the windows on the other wall. Harry crossed the classroom, whose walls were such a light grey they could be mistaken for white in the bright afternoon light. You could see the tops of buildings on the Muggle street, and the smallest piece of sidewalk in the distance that bustled with Muggles as they left work or got in some last minute shopping.

"Brilliant," Harry said.

"They even built shelves in the library. Bless them," Mrs. Ginger said from the next room. Harry and Justin went through the door leading from the classroom to the library. The room was smaller than the classroom, but it had a table to study at and bookshelves lining two walls. It was just as brightly lit as the other room.

"Harry, you even bought us new books?" Mrs. Ginger couldn't contain herself any longer and had Harry in a crushing hug.

"No," Harry said, feeling like he couldn't breath. When she finally let go, he said, "I didn't buy any books. I don't know where they came from."

Justin pulled one off a shelf. "They're not exactly new." Harry went to look and saw that the cover was faded, but still in good shape. It was ‘Tales of Beedle The Bard,' but Harry hadn't heard of it before.

"I wonder who then..." Mrs. Ginger trailed off.

"Severus maybe? Or Headmaster Dumbledore?" Miss Ava suggested.

They wondered at it for a few more moments before they went down to the second floor to look at the improvements there.

"Since we were able to move the classroom to the third floor," Miss Ava told Harry, "we were able to add an extra living space to the first floor and enlarge all of the bedrooms to give everyone more space. They went into Justin's room and Harry went to a wall to inspect a built in dresser and shelves across from Justin's bed.

"It's Ace, isn't it?" Justin said, and Harry turned to stare at him. He'd never actually seen Justin with a smile like that before, like he was happy, but there he was smiling like a loon. "We had old wardrobes and dressers that were falling apart. One of the little kids told the construction crew they should build us new ones, and they put them in the walls. It gives us so much floor space now."

"We had them weave charms into the wood as well to keep them from breaking and falling apart. They should last for a long time," Mrs. Ginger said, pulling a dresser drawer forward to look at. It was empty since no one had had a chance to put their clothes in yet. "The same charms are woven into the walls to prevent holes from rough housing." She gave a pointed look at Justin, who pretended he hadn't seen.

As they toured Harry noted that the bedrooms had all been painted different colors and the wood doors leading to each room had all been stained to coordinate. The room Justin shared with other boys his age was a light earthy blue, while the younger boy's room down the hall was an earthy green.

Harry explored for a few more minutes, inspecting the work the construction crew had done, and then made to leave, but Miss Ava stopped him and sent him into the kitchen instead, where Mrs. Ginger was waiting for him alone.

"I wanted to talk to you Harry," she said, indicating he should have a seat on one of the two wooden stools.

"It's ok," Harry said. "Don't thank me anymore. All this should have been done before. If I would have realized-" She held up a hand to stall him.

"It should have been," she agreed. "But if it were another family that owned the building... another young heir, I doubt things ever would have gotten repaired."

Harry's cheeks heated up. He didn't like people thanking him. He wasn't used to being thanked for anything he'd done and it made him uncomfortable.

"I wanted to talk to you about the extra funding you've alloted for us."

Harry frowned.

"I received an owl from Harrison Silver last night while we were at Hogwarts. How long do you intend on giving us 300 Galleons a month?"

"Forever if I can," he said. Harry could tell she didn't believe him though. "It's what every person living here should have, right? Is it not enough?"

"It's more than enough," she said. "It's a lot of money though Harry."

"But it's my responsibility," Harry told her.

"You're barely 13. Any of the things you've done this summer are beyond the realm of what you should have had to be responsible for." Harry felt his cheeks heating up again.

She continued on in a gentle tone, "What do you want us to spend the money on?"

"Whatever you need," Harry said. "Food, building repairs, clothes, books, toys..."

"You want us to buy toys?"

"Well the kids have birthdays, and there's Christmas too right? Every kid should get a present." He knew what that was like to feel unloved and unwanted during holidays or on his birthday. "Maybe you could get each kid new clothes on their birthday and Christmas, and a toy and a book too. That would still leave enough for food right?"

Mrs. Ginger went to a drawer, opened it, closed it, went to another drawer and found what she was looking for. She came back with a notebook and a quill. She began drawing columns and labeling them. Harry watched as she marked down a column for building repairs, food, medical visits, clothes, school supplies, gifts, and emergencies. She also wrote the number 300 and then began doing math in her head and marking numbers down in the columns. Finally she turned the paper towards Harry. "We'll put 10 a month into a building repair fund, 100 a month into food, 50 for medical visits, 20 for school supplies, 60 for clothes, and 60 for gifts."

"What about the emergency fund?" Harry asked.

"As soon as we get school supplies for all the children going to Hogwarts we'll start funneling those funds into an emergency fund."

"Is 20 Galleons enough for supplies?" Harry asked. He thought there were at least 10 kids going to Hogwarts.

"We usually get by on five. We get everything used and re-use what we have. This year we should be able to get the children some new clothes at least. I like what you said about getting them new clothes for Christmas. That will let us buy new clothes now for those going to Hogwarts and new clothes in December for the kids who stay here."

"Don't buy any school supplies yet," Harry said, and Mrs. Ginger looked up at him. "I'll bring some things by in a few days."

"You don't have to do that Harry."

"I want to. At least the older students should get some new stuff, so they can go to school at least one year with brand new things."

She hugged him again without warning and mumbled something about him being a good boy.

When Harry left the orphanage that evening, it was nearly dark. Harry walked slowly back towards Gringotts, not worried about being out after dark now that he'd grown comfortable with Knocturn and it's shadowy residents. As the sun disappeared over the top of one of the taller buildings, laughter caught Harry's attention and he paused next to the entrance to Payne Alley. Harry had passed by the narrow dark alley so many times now that he didn't pay it any attention. It was near the start of Knocturn and it twisted right away so he couldn't see down it at all. It was so narrow that two people could hardly walk side by side down it. More laughter rang out and he wondered not for the first time what was down there. Knocturn still had enough natural light to see by, but Payne Alley was already completely dark. It took Harry several moments to realize that as he stared into the darkness, someone was staring back at him. A white pair of eyes was all he could see. The hairs on the back of his neck and arms stood up and he hurried on his way, uncomfortable being there for the first time in weeks.

He breathed a sigh of relief when he popped out into the Gringotts Plaza and made the turn to head back towards the Leaky Cauldron.

* * *

Harry had gotten a hold of a current map of the Alley's. Silver had given it to him the next morning and after work at Flourish and Blott's, Harry had gone back to his room to spend the afternoon looking it over.

As his eyes moved over the parchment, he quickly picked out the shops he was familiar with. There were also several small scattered squares he figured must have been the stalls and booths that sold odds and ends as they were in the same location on the map as they were on the alleys. The one outside Potage's Cauldrons sold hot meat pastries Harry sometimes bought for breakfast, and the two at the start of Knocturn sold talismans and love potions. Harry had never stopped to look at their wares but he had read the signs as he passed daily.

The map fascinated him. He was able to see each individual building, as well as how larger buildings were divided. He also now had a good idea of what was down Payne Alley, though he wasn't sure what some of the shops were. There was another Barrister, a charm shop, a fortune teller and an inn, but Harry had no idea what kind of shops belonged to the names, The Aether, The Lighthouse, or Gobeldegook.

Several shops on Knocturn were labeled as ‘empty' and two had names but were labeled as ‘closed.' Harry was also finally able to see what some of the other shops on Knocturn sold as some of them didn't have signs in their windows or above their doors. The man who had watched him paint Tantalizing Sweets looked to be the owner of Barrow Books, and Harry wondered then if he had been the one to donate the books to the orphanage and why if there was no profit in it.

Harry pulled out some of the papers Silver had given him weeks before with numbers of monthly earnings on the shops he owned shares in or in rent paid for the buildings he owned. Barrow Books wasn't one of the shops on his list though. He let his eyes scan down the list and compared earnings of shops on Knocturn to the ones on Diagonalley. The shops he owned shares in on Knocturn made barely anything while the ones on Diagon all appeared to be successful.

Harry also noted on the map that there was a door marked as going out the back of Flourish and Blotts out into Knocturn Alley, and he wondered why he hadn't noticed it before.

As Harry fell asleep that night, he dreamt of secret passageways leading from building to building, tunnels under Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor, and strangely, that the Owl Emporium had moved into the building the orphanage now occupied. When he woke at four am after dreaming that Uncle Vernon had moved into Diagonalley and was demanding Harry sell him all the buildings he owned for a pound each, he pulled out the map again and began looking over it as he petted Sirius on the bed beside him.

* * *

"James Potter's son."

Harry stilled and looked into the shadowed alcove of the front door of Barrow Books. The shop keep was staring at him again. Why hadn't he used his name if he wanted Harry to come over?

"Me?" Harry asked.

The man waved him over. "That's what I said isn't it?"

"I have a name."

"I'm aware," the man said. He looked towards the orphanage and then Tantalizing Sweets. "Why you fixing up Tilly's place?" he asked.

"It needed it," Harry said.

"I asked her," the man said. "She said the work crew must have done it in the night."

Harry had heard that too. He'd let her assume it was them. He didn't want her to pay him extra for nothing.

"Got nothing to say to that?" the man asked.

Harry shrugged.

"And you got that orphan boy a job with her. Justin?"

"He got the job for himself," Harry said.

"My building could use fixing up," the man said. He motioned with his hand to the peeling paint and crumbling bricks. There was also a long crack going corner to corner in the front window.

"I don't have any paint left," Harry said.

"Why don't you come inside and look at what I have to sell?"

Harry frowned, thinking the conversation had been strange so far and wondering if the man had designs on kidnapping him. He'd once thought that about Tilly too though, and had been proven wrong.

"You wouldn't know who donated a bunch of books to Peverell's, would you?" Harry asked.

"Wouldn't have a clue," the man said. He opened his shop door and went in. Harry followed him, hand on his wand in his pocket.

Unlike Tilly's shop, the inside of this one was very clean. Harry never would have guessed from the state of disrepair the outside of the building was in.

"You don't own this building," the man said.

"I know."

"Got no reason to fix it up then," the man said.

"Who does own it?"

"I do. A few shop owners own their own buildings. Not many though. I live upstairs."

All of the books sold in this store seemed to be used, and Harry felt sure that he had donated the books to the orphanage. He wasn't sure why he wouldn't admit to it though.

"No one comes down this alley any more. Not like Diagon. Only reason I don't have to close up shop is because I own it and don't have to pay up rent."

"When did Magic Mart and Troll Travel's go out of business?" Harry asked him.

"Magic Mart went out about five years ago. Couldn't afford rent anymore and they weren't selling anything. Troll Travel's got busted ten years back by the Portkey Authority for using unauthorized port keys to send tourists to other countries. Tilly's thought of closing up shop for years. Wasn't making any money except when the Hogwart's Express was hauling students around."

Harry walked up one row of books and then down another. "There's other empty shops. I don't own them either."

"The one on the corner by Peverell's used to be Grays Goods."

"The food store?" Harry asked. From what he knew, Mrs. Weasley did all her grocery shopping there.

"The same," the man said. "The one by Exotic Tea was Ollivanders. Both are family run. In their families for generations. They moved over to Diagon when it was built. Other shops went over there too and it wasn't long before Knocturn Alley became a ghost town."

Harry frowned. "Not much can be done about that now," he said.

"I figured you had big plans for Knocturn, coming in and fixing up Tilly's and Peverell's like you were."

"No plans," Harry said. He was just trying to do the right thing.

"Shame," the man said.

Harry frowned at him. What was he after? He didn't even know the man's name and Harry felt like their conversation had run in circles.

"Well, er, it's been nice talking to you," Harry lied, and made his way to the door. The man didn't stop him, and only stared after him as he left.

* * *

"Is this what you're looking for?" Basil asked, holding a book with a brown cover out to Harry.

Harry turned around from the shelf full of history books and took the book being offered to him, opening to a page in the middle.

"This is perfect," Harry said. "How'd you know what kind of book I wanted?"

"Bennet ordered it a couple weeks ago. We figured you'd want to know more about the alley's eventually with the interest you've taken in business."

"Thanks," Harry said. Basil took him to the register and rang up the book and Harry paid him four sickles and a knut.

"This is better than what I wanted," Harry murmured, browsing through the table of contents. It was a history of the four wizarding quarters in the aisles, detailing all the places wizards gathered and shopped. It looked like it was about fifty years old, but it was perfect for what he wanted.

"The owner of Barrow Books told me a little about how Knockturn started to lose business, but not much."

"Bartholomew Barrow," Bennet said, coming out from the store room. "Good bloke, but strange. Never comes straight out and says what he wants. I dislike when people beat around the bush."

Harry detailed his encounter with Barrow to Basil and Bennet, and Bennet said, "Sounds like he wants you to fix up all of Knockturn. Good luck with that."

Harry murmured his agreement, thanked the brothers, and left with his new book.

Harry read for the rest of the day and was fascinated by what he found. There was an entire chapter about Payne Alley and the many rebellions and uprisings that had been born there. Some of it had had learned in first year History of Magic, but Binns had made everything seem so boring.

Harry had his map of the alleys out and referenced it frequently when the book talked about events. On Payne Alley there were several businesses that weren't mentioned in the book and Harry figured they must have moved in after the book was written. The book did mention Payne Inn, The Aether, The Lighthouse and Gobeldegook however. Harry owned the buildings that Gobeldegook and Payne Inn were in along with a number of others. He didn't hold shares in either business though. He didn't hold shares in any of the businesses on Payne Alley.

According to the book, Gobeldegook was a pub that catered to Goblins, vampires, and other beings that normal wizarding society looked down upon. The Goblin uprising of 1712 was organized around the tables of Gobeldegook over mugs of Goblin whiskey, and for almost thirty years a black market for blood was run out of Payne Inn by vampires. Harry wondered if some of those vampires were still alive today.

The Lighthouse was a newsletter that published news for the lesser fae, and often printed things that incited rebellion. Harry suddenly wanted a subscription to the Lighthouse just to see what kinds of things they printed. The book didn't tell Harry what the Aether sold, but it was mentioned throughout the history of Payne and Knocturn Alleys.

In another chapter Harry found that much of what Barrow had said was true. Knockturn was the first alley built, followed by Payne Alley, and later Diagonalley. After Diagonalley was built and began to be visited more frequently, businesses left Knockturn alley and so did customers.

Harry looked over several papers detailing earnings for the last few months and was surprised to see that the businesses on Payne Alley paid a much higher rent than those on Knockturn. It wasn't quite as much as on Diagon, but nearly. That must mean they were doing good business.

Finally crawling into bed after midnight because he was too tired to keep his eyes open to read anymore, Harry fell asleep, mind made up that he wanted to go down Payne Alley and see for himself what was there that made it different from Knockturn.

* * *

"Silver," Harry greeted his barrister the next morning.

"Mr. Potter."

"I've been doing some research about the alleys. I own most of the buildings down Payne Alley, right?"

"Except the Lighthouse and The Aether."

"They pay higher rent than on Knocturn."

"They make significantly more money."

Harry bit his lip and wondered how what he had to say would be received. "I want to go down Payne Alley and see what's different."

"What's different is that it caters to people the rest of society doesn't want to see or think about," Silver said. "There are four wizarding quarters, yet only two places that cater to fae."

Harry nodded. "I understand," he said, "but I want to see it. I wanted to know if you would go with me."

Silver, who normally wore a smile and rarely ever looked as serious as Podmore, gave Harry a doubtful look.

"I wonder if you've considered how this will look for your upcoming hearing. You've already ventured down Knockturn."

"We both know Knocturn isn't what people think it is."

"Yes, we both know that. Most others don't see it that way though. Now imagine an alley where there is very real danger from vampires and other people who have been persecuted by wizards for centuries. That will look far worse for you than venturing down Knocturn where you have reason to be because your other Barrister is located there."

"I have an invisibility cloak," Harry said. "I could have gone on my own, but I know it's dangerous, which is why I came to you. You're my barrister and you can't tell if I ask you not to. You wanted me to learn about business and I've been trying." Harry pulled out the book he read most of the way through the night before. "I've seen all of my holdings on the alleys except for those on Payne Alley. I can't learn about business until I can see how those are run."

"You wanted me to tell you if you were doing something unwise."

Harry nodded. "Look, I know I'm just a kid, ok. I know Payne Alley isn't the place for me. I'm not looking for adventure though, I'm looking to learn. If you won't take me, I won't go, but I do want you to take me."

Silver fixed him with a scrutinizing look that made Harry feel like he was under a microscope. Finally Silver said, "Put your cloak on and meet me here in twenty minutes."

Harry flashed him a grin and left to get his cloak.

Thirty minutes later found Harry and Silver approaching Payne Alley. Harry was under his cloak and promised not to take it off until they were out of view of Knockturn completely, and Silver promised Harry he would help him for the next hour, at which point he'd have to leave for a meeting with another client.

Harry tried not to let the hairs on the back of his arms and neck raise as they went up the steps into the narrow Payne Alley, but couldn't help it. They passed Foxfish Fortunes and Pendragon Lucky Charms and then the Alley turned sharply to the right and they could no longer see Knockturn. It was much darker here than on Knockturn because the buildings were so close he could nearly touch the brick buildings on both sides of the alley if he held his arms out.

"You can take the cloak off now," Silver said. Harry did as he was told and folded it up and put it in his backpack, which he shrank down and put in his pocket.

"This one's The Lighthouse," Silver said at a door to their left. "The Aether is there."

"What is the Aether?" Harry asked.

"A bar for vampires."

"I don't think I want to go in there," Harry said.

"No," Silver agreed.

There were no alcoves here for people to hide in, and the alley was empty, though Harry did note that several people watched him from behind curtains in Payne Inn, and that a Goblin washing windows on the inside of Gobeldegook had stopped what he was doing to watch them.

"The Lighthouse first," Harry said, and Silver pushed the door open and led him inside. There was a counter by the door, several desks set at an angle like drafting tables, and a huge ancient looking printing press that was running on magic as it printed newsletters.

"Yes?" asked a boy about seventeen. He was immediately wary of the visitors, and his eyes flickered up to Harry's scar predictably.

"My name is Harry," Harry said, holding out his hand and wondering if it would be a welcomed gesture or not.

"I know who you are," the boy said. He took Harry's hand briefly in a firm shake but didn't say anything else.

"I know I don't own this building and I don't have any shares in your business," Harry said. "But I've been learning about the alley's and the businesses I do have shares in. I've just been learning about business in general. I wondered if I could ask you some questions about your business."

"Ask then," the boy said.

Harry thought it was odd that the boy hadn't introduced himself yet, but didn't push it.

"Do you have a lot of subscribers?" Harry asked.

"Little over four hundred," the boy said.

Harry nodded.

"And the rest of the businesses on Payne Alley seem to do well?"

"Well enough."

"The Alley is empty though."

"Most people turn out when the alley is completely dark around six thirty."

"Do any wizards come down here?"

"Not like you," the boy said. "Except Silver once a year."

Harry looked up at Silver, who said, "Businesses send rent money to the accounts at Gringotts by owl. I come once a year to view the buildings and to make sure they're in good repair."

"How much is a subscription?" Harry asked the boy.

"Seven sickles a week. Newsletter comes out on Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday."

Harry pulled out his drawstring pouch and pulled out enough for several months. "I'd like a subscription please."

The boy eyed Harry and then looked down at his money. "What interest have you got in the news we write?"

"I'd like to know," Harry said.

The boy reached forward so suddenly that Harry wasn't sure if he was being attacked, and snatched the coins from Harry's hand. Harry flinched but didn't think Silver noticed, though the boy did. He wrote down Harry's name and Silver cleared his throat. "Perhaps the subscription should be registered to HP instead." The boy scratched the name out and wrote H.P. He went over to a stack of growing papers that had just come off the press and handed it to Harry. He also went to a shelf which seemed to have archived issues and pulled out two more and gave them to Harry.

"This week's newsletters," the boy said. He gave Harry a look as though asking if there was anything else.

"Thank you for talking to me," Harry said. The boy didn't reply so Harry and Silver left.

"I don't think he goes to Hogwarts," Harry said when they were back in the quiet, claustrophobic alley.

"He's not allowed to," Silver said.

"Why not?"

"He's a vampire."

"Him?" Harry asked.

Silver murmured.

"How old is he do you think?"

"Only seventeen. He was turned last year."

Harry frowned. "Did he go before?"

"That is something you would have to ask him, but I would gather not."

They went into Payne Inn, which was dark because all the curtains were closed. Harry expected it to be musty and cold inside, but it wasn't. Everything was clean, from the wood walls to the long shiny wood counter that ran the length of the entry room.

Silver introduced him to a man that looked an awful lot like Tom from the Leaky Cauldron and the man allowed Harry to ask his questions. Payne Inn was open to anybody, but regular wizards rarely ever came to stay, and only then if they were in trouble and hiding from the law. "Once," the manager told Harry, "Sirius Black came to stay the night before they caught him and took him to Azkaban." Goblins, werewolves, vampires, elves, and a number of others frequently stayed at the Payne Inn, which was a very profitable business, Harry was informed.

They went into Gobledegook after that where the Goblin behind the bar didn't question Harry's age and where four Goblins at a table in the back playing cards pretended to not be interested in Harry or his questions. Harry took note that the pub was in better shape on the inside than the Leaky Cauldron was, and was told it was full every evening after Gringotts closed.

"Payne Alley seems to be in good shape," Harry said when they left the pub.

"They take care of it," Silver said. "Many of the business owners live above or below their businesses. The apprentice at The Lighthouse is the son of the two vampires who own the newsletter. Before he started apprenticing there he was paid to sweep the alley every morning and wash windows. The owner of the Payne Inn has a son that goes to Hogwarts, and in the summer he's paid to keep all the buildings in good repair on the outside."

Harry raised his brows and wondered who this boy was and what house he was in, but before he could ask, the door to their left opened. No one came out or called out to them and they both stared at the door.

"What business is this?" Harry asked.

"Vlad Zurrie, Barrister."

"Are you coming in or not?" came a voice from inside, and Silver led the way in, closing the door as soon as Harry had come in behind him. As soon as they were in, the lights came on to reveal a posh office like Silver's only with a lot of dark stained wood that was so shiny Harry wondered if it was polished on a daily basis.

"Bellamy said Harry Potter was inspecting businesses up and down the alley. I figured I was next," said the man. He was a couple inches taller than Silver, skinny, and paler than the boy at The Lighthouse.

"Vlad Zurie," the man said, holding out his hand to Harry. Harry took it uncertainly and tried to return the strong grip, but wasn't able to match the strength of the man.

"Bellamy?" Harry asked.

"The apprentice at The Lighthouse."

Harry nodded, glad he at least knew the boy's name now.

"Well, what questions do you have for me?" Vlad asked, but Harry only had to ask one question (which he couldn't even remember later that day), before the barrister was off and running talking about how proud they were of their alley, about how many people frequented the businesses there, and about how it was a very tight knit community where people looked out for each other. Despite his expensive furniture and other office furnishings, Vlad explained that he often did work for free for those in the community that needed it. On the other hand, he told Harry, those that could afford his services often paid him extra so he could help the less fortunate.

"What I'm curious to know," Vlad finally asked, "is why you've taken an interest in our alley? Wizards are usually content to ignore us if we stay out of sight and mind our own affairs."

"Knocturn is so empty," Harry said. "No one's making any money, the orphanage was falling apart... but Payne Alley seems to be doing well."

"We're different than you," Vlad said. "Wizards find something new and forget the old. You got your Diagonalley and left Knocturn to fall apart. We on the other hand have no other place to go. We're not allowed to open up new businesses or build new alleys for our kind. This is what we have in this part of the country. We take care of it like we take care of each other. Like you took care of the orphanage."

Harry looked away from his shiny desk and into his eyes. "I would have done sooner if I'd known I could do anything about it. They don't have a choice of where to live."

"And the sweet shop?" Vlad asked.

"Well it needed help too."

"Yes, I suppose it did," Vlad told him.

Silver motioned to his watch to tell Harry their time was up and Harry thanked Vlad for his time. Silver opened the door and walked out onto the alley and Vlad backed into a shadowed part of his office. Before Harry walked out and closed the door however, he turned and asked, "You wouldn't happen to know who donated a bunch of books to Peverell's would you?"

"When a young heir turns up on Knocturn and brings with him a construction crew, people tend to come out to see what's going on," Vlad said. "People saw a wizard finally taking care of something that was old and forgotten... taking care of people that had been forgotten."

Harry frowned, not sure what he was saying. Vlad motioned towards the door behind Harry and said, "Bellamy saw what you'd done for the children at the orphanage. He wanted to be a part of it. He organized a drive to collect money, and then he went to Barrow Books and bought books he thought the children would like."

"Harry." Silver was calling to him impatiently.

Harry didn't know what to say, so he didn't say anything at all, and backed out of the barrister's office, pulling the door closed behind him.

"Put the cloak back on," Silver said. When Harry was invisible, he led him back to his office.

"They bought books for the orphans," Harry said.

Silver looked up at him as he took his cloak off. "What are you talking about?"

"The people in Payne Alley wanted to help the orphans so they bought them a bunch of new books."

"That doesn't sound like the patrons of Payne Alley."

"Why not?"

"Vampires drunk on blood wine, goblins who gamble and drink all night long?"

Silver excused himself a moment later, telling Harry he had to hurry to meet a client, and Harry was left alone with his thoughts. Regular wizards didn't care about fae and the fae were certainly wary of wizards. And according to the people he'd spoken to, regular wizards didn't care about Knocturn Alley (which Harry knew was true). Yet the fae on Payne Alley had cared enough to help wizard kids at the orphanage. Because I cared, Harry thought to himself. They wouldn't have bought books if I hadn't paid to fix the place up. They cared because I cared. That was something to think about, and Harry really wasn't sure what to think about it, though he continued to do so in the days that followed.

Chapter End Notes:
I'm trying to make these chapters nice and long for you guys instead of splitting them up. Sometimes this means it takes longer to update, but hopefully the longer chapters make up for it. Let me know what you guys think of the chapter and the story. If you guys have things you'd like to see let me know. I know there was no Snape in this chapter, but everything in this chapter had to happen. You'll get some really good Snape scenes soon enough.