Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
This story is Alternate Universe. The characters will probably be OOC. There will be spanking within this story. It is not the focal point of this story. There won’t be a spanking scene in every chapter. But it will have it. 
Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus and Harry are in this chapter, but they won't interact until chapter two. (the reason I waited posting)
Chapter 1: First Day of a New Adventure

This world was so new. At first, Harry believed that he was dreaming. When he heard the first bang on the door, he thought, this couldn’t be real. But it was. And now he was starting a wonderful new adventure. A special place where he wasn’t picked on, bullied, or a freak. When people saw him, they knew his name. It was unsettling that more people knew about him than he did, but Harry didn’t let that keep him down.

Walking through the wall was scary. Seeing the red-headed family, the Weasleys, go through it and not crash was just a long line of things that Harry stacked away as amazing. The mother Weasley coached him on how to go. Harry held his breath when he ran through.

Now, he was sitting on the hugest train he had ever seen. Harry found a compartment and sat down. The scenery was like a postcard he glanced at on one of his grocery trips. He would imagine he was living in the free open plains with no worries. But then reality would hit and he was back into the dreary life of servitude.

Harry was so mesmerized by the scenery he didn’t hear someone knocking on the door.

“Hey, do you mind if I sit here? Everywhere else is full.”

Harry turned and saw one of the red-headed boys he met at the entrance.

“Yeah, sure,” Harry said, holding his hand out so that he could sit across from him.

“Thanks,” Ron said. “I’m Ron Weasley.”

“Harry Potter.”

“Wow,” Ron said. “Cool.”

After their introduction, they started talking about everything. Well, Ron talked, and Harry listened. Ron told him about everything he knew. Harry was like a sponge. Harry liked Ron. Ron didn’t make him feel as if he was something special. Outside of asking about the scar, Ron didn’t act as if Harry was some celebrity.

They talked and talked and talked. Ron told him everything his older brother said about what to expect when they got there.

“And he said the ceiling changes with the sky,” Ron said.

“Really?” Harry said. “I can’t wait to see that.”

Their conversation was stopped when a girl came into the compartment and told them that they were getting close to the castle, and to start changing into their robes. Both boys shrugged and got ready.

___000___000___000

Severus was finishing up on his final check of his supplies and ingredients when his floo flared.

“Severus.”

Severus sighed and stepped out of his cupboard. Hearing that voice, Severus knew all she wanted to do was tease him.

“What can I do for you, Minerva?” Severus said, walking out of his lab.

Minerva was standing by the fireplace. She had a smirk on her face.

“Are you ready to see the smiling little angels?” Minerva amused.

Severus sneered. He knew she was trying to bait him, but she would not goad him into a battle of wills about that blasted boy coming this year.

“Aren’t you supposed to be upstairs to welcome the miscreants?” Severus walked over to his chair and pulled his robe off, putting it on.

“I thought you would like to escort the children down this time,” Minerva said, trying not to smile.

“Listen, you old cat,” Severus said.

“Now, now, Severus,” Minerva said. “No need to get your blood pressure up. You’re already loving the fact of a certain boy gracing these walls.”

“Get out,” Severus growled.

Minerva couldn’t hold back any longer. She held her head back and laughed.

“Oh, Severus,” Minerva said, walking towards his door. “You make it so easy.”

Minerva left before Severus could give a retort. He hated that Minerva was having fun with this. The last thing he wanted was to see that doppelganger miniature Potter walking down that aisle. Severus looked over at his small bar longingly. How much he would love to have a drink, but he knew he couldn’t, at least not before dinner. He would have several once the feast ended.

___000___000___000

Harry and Ron were in awe as they walked up the stairs. The boat ride was amazing, seeing the castle in all its glory. All the first years in the boats had the same expression of wonder.

The children walked up the stairs. At the top of the stairs was a woman dressed in green.

“Welcome,” Minerva said.

All the small chatter stopped to listen.

“It is a pleasure to see you. Once it is time, we will walk through these doors. You will follow me to the front of the Hall where you will be sorted. There are four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw. Your house will be your family for the next seven years. If you follow the rules, you and your house will be awarded points. If you break the rules, your house will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points will win the House Cup. Wait here.”

Minerva returned and escorted the children to the front of the Hall. Harry looked around. This had to be the biggest room he’s seen. Remembering what Ron said his brothers told him, he looked up. It was just like they said.

“Wow,” Harry whispered.

The children stopped at the end of the aisle.

“I will call your name,” Minerva said. “And you will come up here to be sorted. Justine Abbot.”

A timid red-headed girl walked up to the lone stool. Minerva lowered the old brown hat on her head.

“Ravenclaw,” screamed the Hat.

“Hannah Bones.”

A blonde-headed girl walked up to the stool with more confidence. She knew what to expect. Sitting down, holding her head high. Minerva put the hat on her head.

“Hufflepuff.”

The names continued as each child was placed in their new houses. Severus scanned the children standing waiting. He wanted and didn’t want to see mini Potter. For some reason he couldn’t find him.

“Harry Potter.”

There was small chattering at each table. When Harry’s name was called, the entire Hall went completely silent. Harry pushed his way to the stool. He was a little nervous. He wondered why everyone was so quiet. Harry looked at all the Professors that were seated at the tables behind the stool. Everyone had a bewildered look on their face. Harry’s eyes stopped at the one in black. He didn’t look like the others. Harry couldn’t place the man’s expression.

Harry sat down. Once the Hat was on his head, it began to talk.

“Well, Mr. Potter,” the Hat said. “It’s been a long time waiting to have you under my brim. Now, let’s look at this mind of yours. Hmm. That can’t be right.”

Harry started getting scared. Something was wrong. Maybe this was all a dream. He would have to go back to his relatives. He didn’t want to leave this wonderful place. He had a friend. It was so magical.

“Calm yourself, child,” the Hat soothed. “You are not going back. But you will find help here. You have an ally here. Someone who will fight for you.”

“Who?” Harry said, softly.

“It will all come out in due time,” the Hat said. “Gryffindor!”

The Hat was removed. Harry got up and walked over to the Gryffindor table. The names kept going. After three more children, Ron was called and placed with Gryffindor. Ron sat next to Harry.

“What did the hat say to you?” Ron asked. His voice was low so no one around them could hear.

“A few things,” Harry whispered back. “Why?”

“It was on your head a long time,” Ron said.

After a while, the sorting ended. The Headmaster got up and made a few announcements.

“Good evening, students,” Albus said. “Welcome back to Hogwarts. A few things for our first years. The Forbidden Forest is out of bounds. The Third floor on the right side is restricted. I want you all to have a wonderful year. The Feast. Begin.”

Albus waved his hands and all the tables were filled to the brim with food. There was different food from different countries. There was a huge variety.

Harry looked at the food and didn’t know where to start. He’d never seen this much food. Harry bit his lip as he reached out and took a small chicken leg and put it on his plate. He looked around to see if anyone was watching or if someone was going to take it away from him. Everyone around him wasn’t even paying attention to him. He reached out again and got a spoonful of mashed potatoes and put it next to the chicken.

Harry didn’t want to risk his luck, so he ate what was in front of him. He looked over at Ron and couldn’t believe what he had on his plate. What Ron had made the plate look too small.

“Are you going to eat all that?” Harry asked.

“Oi,” a boy on the other side of Harry spoke up. “Don’t worry about him. Ron can eat that and another plate and not get full.”

“Hey,” Ron said, with his mouth full. “Shut it, Percy.”

“Stop talking with your mouth full,” Percy admonished. “Harry doesn’t want to get sprayed with your food.”

When Ron swallowed what he had in his mouth, he leaned over closer to Harry.

“Don’t listen to him,” Ron said. “Percy just thinks he’s important because he’s Prefect this year.”

“Yes, I am Prefect,” Percy said. “And you better listen to me.”

Ron rolled his eyes and went back to eating. Harry smiled at the two brothers going at each other. It was nice to be talked to and not yelled at and belittled. Harry looked up at the Head table again and saw the man in all black looking at him.

“Hey, Percy,” Harry said, leaning closer to the older boy. “Who is that? The man in black.”

“That’s Professor Snape,” Percy said. “The meanest teacher in the school. Don’t get on his bad side.”

Harry had to suppress a shudder. The man looked mean.

“What’s he teach?” Harry asked, taking a bite of his food.

“Potions,” Percy said.

“Is he really that mean?” Harry asked.

“You’ll have Potions this week,” Percy said. “You’ll see.”

Harry looked back at Professor Snape and saw that he was talking to the Professor with the turban on his head. Harry finished most of what he had on his plate. He looked up at Professor Snape again. He looked mean. His brow looked like it always frowned. His eyes were harsh looking. Harry could imagine that he demanded what he wanted. Living with the Dursleys, Harry learned to read people’s expressions.

The flash of food brought Harry’s attention to the table in front of him. All of the main course was gone and there was a variety of puddings on the table.

“Wow,” Harry gasped.

Harry thought it was a lot of food for dinner. That didn’t compare to the different varieties of pudding on the table. This time Harry picked a small amount of a few different ones. He wanted to see which one he liked.

When dinner was finished and all the food was taken away, Percy and another girl, Sarah, escorted the students to Gryffindor tower. The first years were given the password and once inside, they were given a small tour of the tower and where the dormitories were.

Harry was happy that he would be in the same room with Ron. The other three boys in the room didn’t attempt to talk to Harry and Ron. Not that they were worried about it.

All the boys got ready for bed. After giving each other the customary good night, all five boys were asleep.

___000___000___000

Severus was sitting in his armchair, staring at the flames. A small tumbler of Firewhiskey was sitting on the small side table, abandoned. Severus didn’t know how to take what he witnessed today. So much was going through his mind. He watched, the same as everyone, that small child walk up to the stool.

No wonder Severus didn’t see the child when they walked in. Harry was a head shorter than most of the children. Skinny. If Severus didn’t know any better, he’d believe that his early assumptions were wildly misguided. Severus was expecting a pompous, arrogant tyrant. Someone that would assert his dominance on everyone around him. What Severus saw was a small timid, scared child. This bothered him.

Severus expected either Minerva or Albus to show up and want to talk about Potter. His assumption was right when he heard a knock on his door followed secondly by the flames turning green.

Great, both at the same time, Severus thought, rolling his eyes.

Severus waved his hand to admit Minerva the same time Albus stepped through the flames. 

“Good evening, Severus,” Albus said.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Severus sulked.

“Now, come on, Severus,” Minerva said.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Severus said, looking up at Minerva.

“It seems startling how Harry looked compared to the other students,” Minerva continued.

“I wonder why the Hat took so long with Harry?” Albus said.

Severus glared at Minerva and Albus. “What part of ‘I don’t want to talk about it’ didn’t you two senile old fogies get?”

“Severus,” Minerva admonished. “Don’t you dare take that tone with me.”

“Now, Minerva,” Albus said, his eyes twinkling. “Don’t take it so harshly. We did come down here to tease him.”

“That tone and language is fine for you,” Minerva huffed. “But I will not stand for it.”

“Then, you are welcome to leave my chambers,” Severus said. “We all have a long day tomorrow and I don’t want to be up all night listening to you two laughing at me.”

Minerva harrumphed and turned leaving the way she came. Before closing the door, she turned and looked at Severus, “Don’t think this is the end of this.”

“I can hardly wait,” Severus shot back.

Minerva slammed the door. Albus was enjoying the banter between his two Professors. Minerva and Severus kept things alive within these walls.

“Good night, Severus,” Albus said, walking to the fireplace. “I’ll see you at breakfast.”

Severus rolled his eyes. He knew that wasn’t just a statement. Severus didn’t like going to the Great Hall in the morning. He wanted to eat his breakfast in the seclusion and privacy of his office. His Prefects would pass out the students’ schedules. Severus just wanted that last ounce of peace before the dunderheads showed up.

“Night, Albus,” Severus said, as the flames turned green and he was once again alone in his chambers.

Severus reached for the tumbler of amber liquid and swallowed all in one gulp. He let the burn calm his nerves. Severus got up and headed for bed. Tomorrow was going to be an interesting day.

TBC