Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Nami and Pappy

 

               “What happened to Athena?” Iris asked one morning, a few days after the kidnapping incident.

               Severus looked up from behind the Daily Prophet, a bit caught off guard by her questions. Iris hadn’t spoken much about the events that occurred that day and night, but she seemed to be faring well despite it. Addie had managed to get more of the story out of her and how she felt about what had happened, but Iris seemed ready to move on. Her resilience reminded Severus a lot of Dahlia. No matter what was thrown at her, she always seemed to overcome it.

               “Athena went with your mother,” Severus answered.

               “Really?” Iris asked. She picked at her cereal for a moment before frowning and saying, “Mummy doesn’t like owls. They scare her.”

               “Well, she seemed to like this one. I think they’ll get along pretty well.”

               “Is mummy coming back?” Iris asked.

               “Not right now,” Severus said slowly, studying Iris. “She’s taking some time to herself to figure out a few things. Why? Do you wish to see her?”

               Iris shook her head.

               “That’s okay. If you ever change your mind, you let me know.”

               Iris was silent as she took another bite of her cereal. Severus watched her for a moment before turning back to his paper. As much as he never wanted Dahlia to be alone with Iris again, he knew that he would have to give Dahlia the chance to reconcile with her daughter in the future. Of course, he would make sure Iris was interested in reforming a relationship with her mother first and foremost. Dahlia put Iris through a traumatic period, intentional or not, and it was only fair that Iris had a say in when or if she saw her mother again. Family court may not agree with him, but he would fight tooth and nail for his daughter’s right in her relationship with Dahlia.

               Finding the wizarding news, a bit lackluster, Severus glanced at his other child. Harry was picking through his cereal as well, taking the smallest bites now and then. He had decreased his nutrition potion to once a day, and he was sure Healer Villin would tell him to discontinue it all together now that Harry was looking more like a healthy young boy. He also wanted to discuss Harry’s asthma treatment as well, seeing how Harry still had episodes now and then.

               Severus glanced at his watch, then back at his children. They still had a few minutes before they would have to head over to the doctor’s office, so Severus figured he should make sure the kids get their shoes and jackets now. Merlin knows how long it takes those two to do such simple tasks.

               “Finish eating, you two. We have to leave soon, and you need to get your shoes and jackets on.”

               “I don’t want to see the doctor,” Harry mumbled.

               “I know you don’t, but I’m afraid it is not an option. We have to make sure your asthma is controlled and that you are all up to date on your . . . on everything you need to stay healthy.”

               While Severus wasn’t against being honest with why they were going to see the doctor, he was sure telling Harry that he might be getting vaccines would send the child into a tantrum and then into “I’m not getting into the car” mode. Severus swore Harry turned into a professional wrestling champion when it came to that mode, and he would kick, scream, and throw himself around to avoid getting in his car seat where Severus could then charm the seat buckle to stay locked, and no amount of bargaining or pleading worked to appease Harry to climb in on his own. The whole ordeal could waste up to fifteen minutes of their time, though thankfully this situation had only occurred twice, once when Harry wasn’t feeling up to going to school, and another time when Severus had taken Harry to the dentist. Perhaps some omission of the truth this morning was necessary.

               “Why do I have to go?” Iris asked moodily.

               Severus bit his inner cheek as he had a mental war about whether he should tell Iris she was due for a final vaccine in a series. The most Iris would do was shed a few tears while Severus explained that it would only pinch a little and she would get her usual treat after. But if he said that Iris was getting a vaccine, that might make Harry worry, and he certainly wouldn’t lie to Harry at that point.

               “We have to make sure you are up to date as well,” Severus decided to say.   

               “I am,” Iris said with a nod of her head.

               Severus snorted at her conviction before returning to his paper. As soon as both kids were in their shoes and jackets, he herded them out the door and made sure they were settled in their car seats before climbing in himself and driving for the doctor’s office. Once there, his kids stayed at his side while he checked them in, Iris hopeful for an early treat as she smiled at the receptionist behind the window.

               “Hello, how can I help you?” the lady asked, smiling back at Iris.

               “I’m checking in Harry and Iris Snape,” Severus said.

               “The doctor will be right with you two, go ahead and have a seat.”

               Severus sat down while Iris and Harry checked out the books in the kid’s play area. After a few minutes, they were called in by a nurse, and once they went through the check in process and had vitals taken, Healer Villin was quick to appear.

               “How is everyone in the Snape household?” Healer Villin asked as he washed his hands in the room before spelling them dry.

               “I am perfectly healthy,” Iris proclaimed, sitting up proudly on the table.

               Harry simply hid his face against Severus where he sat next to his father in the chairs.

               “Harry’s been thriving,” Severus answered for him, rubbing his son’s back comfortingly. “He’s eating better, sleeping better, and takes his medicine as he should when I remind him. He still has some coughing episodes now and then, especially still at night when he’s sleeping, but for the most part, his asthma seems controlled.”

               “Sounds like we’re on the right track,” Healer Villin said. “Unfortunately, some things may still trigger flare ups: pollen, bad weather, sinus infections, throwing a tantrum.” Healer Villin gave Harry a knowing, amused look.

               “I don’t throw tantrums,” Harry argued, peering out at Healer Villin.

               “Okay, my bad. How have you been feeling, Harry? Does it ever hurt to breathe, or do you feel like your chest hurts sometimes?”

               “Sometimes,” Harry agreed.

               “Okay. Let’s take a look at that throat and chest.” Healer Villin held his wand out toward Harry. “May I?”

               Harry nodded and sat up a bit, but he didn’t leave Severus’s side.

               Healer Villin flicked his wand at Harry, casting a see-through spell that allowed Healer Villin to take a glimpse at Harry’s throat and then down his trachea and to his lungs. Healer Villin nodded at what he saw then cancelled the charm. He cast one more spell that sent gold shimmers around Harry before a scroll appeared, and the doctor read what was written.

               “I’m still noting very slight inflammation but really it is much better from where we started. He’s also pretty healthy overall, a lot of his deficiencies are resolving, so he can come off the nutrient potion as long as he keeps eating good. And no fever today, so we’ll get him up to date while he’s here. Harry is still taking a single puff of his inhaler twice daily?”

               “Yes,” Severus answered.

               “Let’s increase it to two twice daily,” Healer Villin decided. “We can recheck how he is doing in a month.”

               Severus nodded and Harry snuggled back against Severus while frowning at the doctor for a moment. He pointed at Healer Villin’s name tag.

               “Your name is spelled like “villain,”” Harry pointed out. “Like an evil villain.”

               “It is, isn’t it?” Healer Villin said with a smile. “But have no fear, I am probably the nicest guy you’ll ever meet.”

               “No, that’s Daddy,” Harry said.

               Severus chuckled while Healer Villin smiled.

               “Okay, second nicest. Now, let’s take a look at you, missy.” Healer Villin turned to Iris who was swinging her legs on the patient table. She sat up and smiled at the doctor. Healer Villin waved his wand to cast an overall health check, and gold swirls shimmered around Iris before fading away while a scroll popped up in thin air near the doctor. Healer Villin grabbed it and read his findings. “And no fever as well, you are in fit health, as always.”

               “I told you,” Iris said.

               “So you did.” Healer Villin turned toward a tray that was sitting on the counter. “Well, Iris is due for a final vaccine in her series and then she is all set, and Harry’s medical records came in and he is actually overdue for two vaccines, so we’ll get him started on those.”

               When Healer turned around, he had three syringes lined up on the counter and alcohol swabs at the ready.

               “So he wants to go first?” Healer Villin asked.

               Iris shot off the table and threw herself at Severus, wrapping her arms around her father’s neck and burying her face in his shoulder while Harry hid his face in Severus’s side, clinging to his father. Severus sighed.

               “Great,” he said, “now I get to be the bad guy.”

               “Oh, no, I think I’m still the villain,” Healer Villin said with a wink at Severus.

               Two crying children later, Healer Villin was profusely apologizing while offering a lollipop to each kid. Iris accepted hers as if it was owed to her and began sucking on it immediately while rubbing her arm. Harry hesitated when one was offered to him, but he slowly accepted it and asked Severus to help him open it before he could enjoy it too. Both children were calming down quickly, so Severus was sure the shots hadn’t been that awful. He thanked the doctor and took each kid by a hand and led them out of the office.

               Back in the car, Severus glanced in the rearview mirror at his kids and said, “I’ll give you both the option again: go to school and finish out the day or go to Nami and Pappy’s house.”

               “Nami and Pappy’s!” Iris cheered while Harry remained silent.

               “Harry, you get a vote, too. Want to go see Nami and Pappy? You haven’t had a chance to spend the day with them yet.”

               Harry shrugged.

               “I think you’ll have fun at Nami and Pappy’s,” Severus decided before starting the car and pulling out the doctor’s office. “Besides, I think it’s the least I could do after today’s health visit.”

               “Exactly,” Iris agreed, rubbing her arm again.

               It was a thirty-minute drive to Eileen and Tobias’s house, and Severus walked his kids up to the door. He had talked to his parents the night before about possibly dropping off the kids for the rest of the afternoon while he finished teaching, and they had both been ecstatic to spend time with their grandchildren. Severus knocked on the door before entering.

               “Ma,” he called out, shutting the door behind him.

               Iris ran off in search of her grandparents while Harry stayed next to Severus.

               No one came immediately or said anything back. Severus frowned and followed after Iris, Harry right at his heels. The parlor was empty as was the kitchen. The backdoor was open, and Severus cautiously slid down the hall, his hand twitching to grab his wand. Something wasn’t right—why on earth would his parents leave the backdoor open if they weren’t home? Even if they were outside, they tended to shut the door. Stepping onto the back porch, Severus glanced around the small backyard where rows of plants and vegetable endured the cold weather under heating and greenhouse charms in the neatly tended to gardens.

               He spotted his father lying on the ground near the shed and his first thought was heart attack.

               “Dad!” he cried, running toward the shed, Iris and Harry running after him.

               As he approached, Tobias pulled himself out from under the shed, looking surprised to see Severus there. Severus stopped short and let out a breath of relief.

               “For Merlin’s sake,” Severus snapped, “what on earth are you doing under there?”

               “Windstorm blew all my tools around the other night,” Tobias said. “I was looking for all my spade. I can see it but I just can’t reach it.”

               “I can get it for you, Pappy,” Iris volunteered, dropping to the ground and crawling under the shed before Severus could say anything to stop her. He groaned as he watched her clean clothes slowly turn brown as she disappeared under the shed. After a second, her head poked out and she held out the spade victoriously. “I got it!”

               “Thank you, sweetheart,” Tobias said. He accepted the spade and set it down and attempted to stand, groaning. He held out a hand to Severus. “Little help, son?”

               Severus rolled his eyes but grabbed his father’s hand and pulled him to his feet.

               “What would you have done if I hadn’t shown up?” Severus asked.

               “I would have figured something out. Your mother and I weren’t expecting you till noon if you were coming at all. You’re early.” Tobias picked up his spade once he was on his feet, carefully bending over to do so.

               “Where’s Ma?”

               “She went out for groceries,” Tobias explained. “Wanted some snacks for the kids when they got here.”

               “And she left you alone?”

               “I’m not an invalid, Severus.”

               “Your doctor told you to take it easy and here I find you crawling around under sheds. That’s not taking it easy.”

               “I’ve been fine. I take my medicine and the potions your mother feeds me. I’ve never felt better. I’ve got all my tools now, so no more crawling under sheds, okay? I’m heading back inside now, doctor.”

               Tobias led the way back to the house where he set the tools in the mudroom, then waited for Severus and the kids to come back inside before shutting the door.

               “You left the door open, too,” Severus added.

               “I thought I closed it all the way. Wind must have pushed it open again. I don’t have the hand strength I used to have.”

               “Pappy, do you like my new shoes?” Iris asked, showing off her pink sparkly shoes.

               “When did you get new shoes?” Tobias asked.

               “Ruth grew out of them, and she only wore them twice so Tori gave them to me.”

               “They sparkle just like you,” Tobias said, lifting Iris and tossing her up slightly.  

               Severus refrained from commenting on the action. He was hesitant to leave his kids with just his father at home. He was sure his kids wouldn’t give Tobias any problems but if a medical crisis occurred when he left, and Eileen didn’t get back in time . . .

               “Your mother should be back soon,” Tobias said, reading Severus’s concerned face accurately. He set Iris down. “I ain’t keeling over in the next five minutes.”

               “I know, I just . . .” Severus trailed off, unsure how to word his concerns. “You really don’t mind your own health sometimes, Dad.”

               “I’m still cancer free according to my last checkup. I’d like to live a little while I still can.”

               “What’s cancer?” Harry asked, looking up at Severus and then at Tobias.

               “An awful evil,” Tobias answered. He smiled at Harry. “Don’t worry about it, kiddo, it’s nothing hurting anyone now. I’ve beaten it off, scared it away with my mighty roar.”

               Tobias gave his best roar; of what kind of animal was undetermined. Regardless, Harry laughed, Iris smiling up at her grandfather.

               “Okay, if you’re sure you can handle them until Ma get’s back.”

               “We’ll be fine, Sev. Get back to your job yelling at miscreant teens.”

               “I don’t yell at anyone,” Severus said as he reluctantly turned away.

               “My bad, snap and growl.”

               Severus gave his father one last annoyed look before he smiled at his children. “You two behave for Pappy. And Nami when she gets back.”

               “Yes, Daddy,” Iris said while Harry ran over to Severus.

               “Can’t I come with you?” Harry asked.

               “You’ll just be bored sitting at my desk,” Severus said, kneeling so he was Harry’s level. He brushed Harry’s hair back, then smirked as he said, “And trust me, the students don’t need any more lessons on paleontology. You’ll love spending time with Nami and Pappy. You’ll probably want to come back all the time. I know Iris does.”

               “Okay. You’ll pick us up when you’re done?”

               Severus kissed Harry’s temple.

               “Of course,” he said. He stood up and ruffled Harry’s hair. “Be good. I’ll see you in time for dinner.”

               Harry waved goodbye to his father before Tobias called him into the parlor .

               “While we wait for Nami to come back and make us all lunch, how about some good ol’ muggle TV?”

               “Yes! Can we watch The Care Bears Movie again?” Iris asked.

               “Again? We watched that three times the last time you were here.”

               “It’s my favorite.”

               “Well, how about you, Harry? Anything you want to watch?”

               “I don’t know any tv stuff,” Harry confessed.

               “I think its time we teach you some tv stuff,” Tobias said. “Come check out the tapes we’ve got. There’s the Care Bears, The Never-Ending Story, Peter Pan, The Black Cauldron . . .”

               “Ooh, the Black Cauldron has a princess in it,” Iris said. “And magic! Lots of magic.”

               “Umm, okay, the Black Cauldron?” Harry said.

               “You don’t have to agree just because Iris wants to watch it, you know.”

               “No, I want to watch it, too.”

               “The Black Cauldron it is,” Tobias said, setting the tape in the player and pressing play on the device. He settled on the couch and Iris quickly snuggled in against her grandfather while Harry awkwardly stood off to the side of the furniture, twiddling his thumbs.

               “Come sit down,” Tobias encouraged. “You can sit next to me, I promise, I don’t bite.”

               Harry slowly moved around to the other side of Tobias and slowly let himself sink down into the sofa. He sat back a bit stiffly, then startled when Tobias put an arm around him and pulled him into his side.

               “See?” Tobias said. “No biting. You can relax around me. I’m supposed to be the fun grandpa, not the mean ol’ miserable grouch one.”

               Harry smiled at Tobias’s imitation of a miserable grouch while Iris laughed.

               The movie began, and Harry was pulled into a fantastical world of wizards, knights, and magical pigs and cauldrons. Watching the boiling pot reminded Harry of Severus working over a cauldron, throwing all sorts of oddities left and right and producing something that tasted foul and smelled just as atrocious. Harry liked the goofy Gurgi and Iris enjoyed all the scenes with Princess Eilonwy the best. Almost three quarters of the way through, Harry felt his eyes grow heavy and before he knew it, he was dreaming of himself saving Hen Wen the pig himself from the evil Horned King. Iris was not far behind him and they both napped against their grandfather, who managed to change the tv to display a football game without disturbing either kid.

               When Eileen returned, she began working on lunch for the family, and it was to those delicious spices and scents that Harry woke up to. He noticed that Iris and Tobias were asleep on the couch, a football game playing on the tv. He rubbed his eyes and fixed his glasses on his face.

               Sliding off the couch, Harry headed for the kitchen, yawning, and rubbing at an eye a little more.

               “Good afternoon, sleepypie,” Eileen greeted.

               “Good afternoon, Nami,” Harry repeated. “Whatcha making?”

               “Kartoffelsuppe.”

               “Kar-what?”

               Eileen snorted, smiling down at Harry as she stirred something in a large pot. She motioned Harry to come closer, then summoned a step stool for Harry to climb up on. He looked down in the pot and realized it was a soup full of potatoes, sausage, and vegetables.

               “It’s a kind of potato soup, a German recipe made with Regensburg sausage and lots of good veggies. This has been a long time Prince favorite. It’s going to warm you right up in this weather.”

               “Can I try some?”

               Eileen summoned a spoon and dipped it into the soup, collecting a bite of sausage and vegetables on it as well. She blew on the spoon, using a cooling charm in her breath to cool it down before offering it to Harry, who accepted the bite and chewed slowly, humming in delight as he did so.

               “It’s good,” Harry said. “Needs paprika.”

               “You think so?” Eileen said with a smirk. “Severus did say you were something of a cook.”

               Eileen summoned paprika and handed the container to Harry.
               “Go ahead. Perfect it.”

               Harry added a few pinches of paprika while Eileen stirred the soup. They let the soup cook for a few minutes before tasting the soup again, Eileen taking a bite herself. They both hummed and nodded in agreement.

               “Delicious,” they said at the same time, making Harry laugh.

               “You never let me taste lunch before its ready,” Tobias complained as he walked into the kitchen. “Can I get in on this?”

               Tobias paused next to Eileen and opened his mouth, ready for a bite of soup. Eileen swatted at him with a dishcloth, shooing him away from her pot.

               “Get out of here,” she said. “You can eat when it’s served.”

               “I see how it is.” Tobias made a sad face, a hand clenched over his heart. “I’ve been replaced by someone younger and far better looking than I.”

               “Oh, knock it off.”

               Harry laughed at his grandfather’s antics.

               “You think it’s funny stealing my wife?” Tobias said. He raised his fists mockingly. “I’ll take you on, you little brat.”

               Harry used the dishcloth Eileen had used to swat at Tobias, who dodged the attack then lunged forward and tickled Harry, pulling him off the stepstool and into his arms, causing Harry to squeal and squirm. Iris came into the kitchen at that moment, and she smiled and charged her grandfather, wrapping her arms around one of his as if to pull it away from Harry and free her brother.

               “Take it easy,” Eileen scolded lightly, “All of you. Tobias, you’re going to hurt yourself and you’re going to make Harry have an episode.”

               Tobias slowly lowered Harry to the ground, ruffling his hair once he was steadily on his feet.

               “Lunch is ready, everyone, sit at the table please,” Eileen said, and everyone ran to a seat at the table, including Tobias, who held his bowl up eagerly for the soup.

               “I married a child,” Eileen muttered as she took his bowl to fill.

 

               As the last of the students piled out of his classroom, Severus noted the line of students waiting outside with quill and parchment in hand. He sighed and called the first student in. It was known throughout the school that Severus often left after his last class of the day, so any questions the students had would have to wait until in between classes the next day if the students couldn’t catch him right before he left. So generally, there was a line waiting outside his last class of the day.

               The questions didn’t usually take long as Severus was often able to direct them to a page in their textbook or to another book in the library. Sometimes he would have to go in depth with a couple students about a certain topic, but he could usually see to the line of students in twenty to thirty minutes. Then he usually made a check in with his house, or at least the Head Boy or Girl to make sure all is well, and everyone is following his house rules.

               After that, Severus could leave, and today was no different. Forty minutes after his last class ended, he had seen to every student who had questions for him and seen to his house, and now he was set to leave. He was sure his kids were fine, being in the care of his mother, so he wasn’t rushing around trying to get out of Hogwarts, but he did want some quality evening time with his children, so he was trying to leave before dinner time would usually be served at his house.

               Finally, he made it to his quarters and used his floo to head directly to his mother’s house.

               “Daddy!” Iris and Harry greeted him immediately.

               He wrapped his arms around both kids, lifting them up and kissing them both.

               “Were you good for Nami and Pappy?” he asked them, and when they both nodded, he set them down. They ran back to where they had been lying on the floor with Tobias, who was sitting down on the ground still.

               “We’re playing exploding snap,” Iris said.

               “And I am failing miserably,” Tobias said. “I’ll never understand the appeal of this game. Also, glad you’re here, son, a little help?”

               Tobias held out a hand, and though Severus rolled his eyes, he offered a hand to his father and helped him to his feet.

               “Nami made kartoffelsuppe,” Harry said, “I got to help a little.”

               “Nami did what?” Severus asked.

               “That potato soup you never know the name of,” Eileen said as she rejoined everyone in the parlor with a tray of biscuits. “You know, the Prince family recipe.”

               “That one,” Severus said in understanding.

               “Harry made an excellent adjustment to the soup. I think I will make it that way from now on. It’ll be our secret ingredient.” Eileen winked at Harry who winked back.

               “Thank you for watching them,” Severus said. “After their morning, I really didn’t want to force them to have to spend the rest of the day in school. Especially Mr. Grumpy.” Severus whispered the last part to his mother.

               “He was an angel for us,” Eileen said. “And we will never say no to spending time with our grandchildren.” Eileen lowered the tray of biscuits and Iris and Harry quickly grabbed for some. “Okay, my loves, take as many biscuits as you can eat. As many as possible. I want your dad extra annoyed with me tonight.”

               Severus made a face at his mother before herding his children toward the fireplace, trying to ignore the cookies they were shoving down their throats. Harry and Iris waved goodbye to their grandparents as they flooed away, and as soon as they got back home, Iris was asking when their next visit was going to be.

               “When do we get to see Nami and Pappy again?” Iris asked.

               “Can they come visit us here?” Harry asked. “I want to show Pappy my room and Nami can cook with me.”

               “We’ll see,” Severus said, though he was glad Harry had come around to his grandparents so quickly.