Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

You're Not Leaving

 

               Severus had still been awake when Harry began coughing in his sleep. He had been just about to ready himself for bed when Harry’s dry, wheezy cough started up. Severus almost went to the boy immediately, but he stopped himself and decided to take note. He listened to Harry’s struggle for nearly thirty minutes, mentally reminding himself of how it sounded and how it persisted. The wheezing only worsened and Severus finally broke and headed to Harry’s room.

               Harry was lying down under the covers in a poor attempt to muffle his coughing. Severus pulled the blanket back and gathered Harry in his arms, patting the boy’s back while he carried him downstairs.

               He set Harry down on the kitchen counter and summoned the potion he had given Harry earlier.     

               “I don’t want medicine,” Harry said with a pout before coughing again.

               “I know,” Severus said. “But you need it.”

               “No,” Harry argued. “Aunt Petunia just gives me a lot of cough drops and sometimes tea. She says if that doesn’t help then I can croak.”

               Severus’s eyes widened at that, and he was glad Harry was busy coughing into his hands to take note of his expression. Petunia had actually told Harry that to his face? By the way Harry nonchalantly said it, the young child clearly did not understand the implication. Severus sighed and waited until Harry looked back up at him.

               “Can I just have cough drops?” Harry asked. “They help.”

               “I highly doubt that,” Severus said. He held the vial close to Harry’s lips. “Drink a sip for me.”

               “No,” Harry turned his head away.

               “You need it.”

               “No. I need cough drops.”

               “I do not want to stand here all night arguing with you. So let’s save us both the trouble and take the potion.”

               “Potion?” Harry asked, frowning at the vial. “Like magic?”

               “Yes. It is exactly like magic.”

               Harry hesitated. It wasn’t medicine but instead a potion. That was fascinating. Severus held the vial closer and Harry slowly allowed Severus to give him a sip. As soon as the taste hit Harry’s tongue, he swung his head away and gagged. Magic or not, it did not taste good.        

“You better have swallowed that,” Severus said, watching Harry closely.

“It’s yuck!” Harry cried, though he did manage to swallow the potion. He gladly accepted the glass of warm milk from Severus and sipped it gratefully.

“It will help you,” Severus said. Harry’s cough was all ready gone.

               “I hate potions,” Harry said, his lower lip trembling.

               “Cry it out to the potions master,” Severus muttered as he sent the vial flying back to his lab. He leaned against the counter as he watched Harry finish his milk, folding his arms. “Harry, you might have to take medicine every day. You can’t fight with me every time, you know.”

               “I don’t need medicine,” Harry said, rubbing his eyes and yawning.

               “Hmm,” Severus said, smiling softly at Harry. He picked Harry up, the child’s arms instinctively wrapping around his neck, then, he carried Harry back up the stairs. “I disagree. It can’t be pleasant coughing all night.”

               “I can take cough drops,” Harry said. “The yummy kinds.”

               “You can have those if you want,” Severus said, walking into Harry’s bedroom and lying Harry down on the bed. “But you might also have to take medicine. And that’s final.”

               Harry nodded and yawned into his pillow, his eyes already closed. Severus snorted and tucked the boy in.

               The next morning, Severus had dressed in muggle wear and made some quick phone calls and then floo called Albus Dumbledore to cancel his Friday classes. When Albus questioned the action, he had informed Albus that Iris wasn’t feeling well, and the headmaster accepted the excuse. Severus wasn’t ready to deal with the odd pictures Albus had taken for him over the years or to know what the man’s involvement was with Harry’s upbringing thus far.

               Now that everything was taken care of, he had to wake his two children.

               Harry staying with him had not been a hard decision to make. He still didn’t feel ready to raise two kids, but he knew he wouldn’t allow anyone else to have his son. He made the mistake of giving him up once, he would not make that same mistake again. Severus left his study and made his way to the kitchen, pausing when he saw Harry standing on the step stool and stirring eggs on the stove. Harry spotted him and smiled.

               “Good morning,” Harry said softly.

               “Morning,” Severus returned, standing behind Harry as he ruffled the boy’s hair, looking over his son’s shoulder. “I see you’re making those famous scrambled eggs you were talking about yesterday.”

               “Is Addie coming over?” Harry asked, reaching for the carton of eggs. “Should I make more?”

               “What you have is more than enough for two,” Severus said. “Addie eats breakfast with her family. And next time, please ask me before coming down to make breakfast. Can we agree on that?”

               “Two?” Harry asked. “But there’s three . . .”  

               “Iris does not like eggs,” Severus said.

               “I’m sorry—I can make her something else!” Harry said, climbing off the step stool and running for the fridge, only for Severus to stop him with a gentle arm grab. Severus kneeled next to him.

               “Iris will be content with cereal this morning,” Severus said. “She likes to pour it herself. Now, did you hear what I said about making breakfast?”

               “To ask you first?” Harry said, looking down at his feet.

               “Yes. Let me know when you are awake and ask me if you can make breakfast, all right?”

               “Okay,” Harry said in a miserable tone. “But I always make breakfast. How am I supposed to ask you when I’m at Aunt Petunia’s?”

               Severus wanted to tell Harry what he had been informed that morning, but he knew now was not the time. They had a long list of things to do that day and he did not want to start his day with a tantrum. He released Harry and said:

               “When you are here, ask first.”

               Harry nodded and went back to the stove to make sure his eggs weren’t burning.

               Severus watched him for a moment, only looking away when Iris padded into the kitchen, yawning and rubbing her eyes.

               “Morning, Daddy,” Iris said. In half-awake movements, she opened the pantry and grabbed a box of cereal. Severus set a bowl down for her and she poured the cereal. Severus added the milk and then Iris shuffled over to the dining table and sat down to eat.

               Harry had watched the exchange with interest. There was no whining, no yelling, no barking orders, and no complaining. It was strange. He was so focused on watching Severus and Iris he forgot to keep an eye on the eggs. Smoke quickly filled the kitchen. Harry jumped, then turned off the heat. He tried to remove the eggs quickly from the hot pan to a plate, but nearly burned himself in the process, and he dropped the pan with a loud clang to the floor, startling Iris awake.

               “I’m sorry,” Harry cried as Severus walked over to the mess, “I’m sorry. I’ll do them again.”

               “It’s okay,” Severus said, swishing his wand to clean the mess. The eggs vanished and the pan flew to the sink and began washing itself. “It was an accident.”

               “But I ruined your breakfast.”

               “You didn’t ruin anything. I can always make something myself. How about you sit down and have a bowl of cereal?”

               “I can’t. I have to remake your breakfast first.”

               Severus thought about his next words carefully. It seemed Harry was used to following orders and always placing himself last. It angered him internally that someone could be so demeaning to a small child, but he swallowed that down and decided on a new tactic.

               “I don’t want you to,” he said, surprising Harry. “I want you to hold this bowl.”

               Severus handed Harry a bowl, and the child was quick to obey and accept the bowl, waiting expectantly for his next orders.

               Severus grabbed the box Iris had pulled out and poured cereal into the bowl before splashing in the milk.

               “There. Go sit down and eat.”

               Harry was frozen to the spot, unsure if he had heard that correctly.

               “Go on.” Severus motioned to the table.

               Harry slowly made his way to the table and sat down next to Iris, who smiled at him. He smiled shyly back before taking a small bite of the food. Severus sighed. At this rate, it was going to be a long day.

               After both kids had eaten and were dressed with Harry in some of Iris’s more tomboyish clothes, Severus helped the kids into their winter coats (Harry borrowing Iris’s blue one while she wore her pink one) before leading them outside of the house.

               This was Harry’s first look outside the house. The manor was huge, a wide, two-story building with a neat garden in the front and acres of land in the back. Harry could see a few houses scattered around them, but it was clear he was in the countryside now. Iris skipped ahead while Severus locked his door, Harry lingering near him.

               “Where are we going?” Harry asked. “Are you taking me home?”

               “No,” Severus shook his head. When he noticed Harry’s face morphing into a pout that threatened to escalate into a tantrum, Severus quickly said, “Not yet. We have a few errands we need to do.”

               “Like what?” Harry complained, but followed Severus down the steps. “I want to go home.”

               Severus didn’t answer. He led Harry to the Ford Escort in the driveway. Iris was already pulling on the door trying to get in. Severus unlocked the car and Iris climbed into her booster car seat. Severus used his wand to duplicate Iris’s car seat and with practiced ease, he strapped it to the seat behind the driver’s side. Once he was sure it was secure, he waved Harry over to him.

               “I’m not allowed in the car,” Harry said.

               “You’re allowed in this one.”

               Severus picked Harry up and settled him in the seat. He buckled Harry in before doing the same for Iris.

               Severus started the car and slowly pulled out of his driveway. He had taught himself to drive soon after winning custody of Iris. It was a safer way of travel through muggle areas than side-along apparition was, and it gave Iris a chance to embrace the muggle world and its developing technology, as well himself. And now, it would give Harry that same advantage.

               “You’re going to like our doctor,” Iris started talking as they drove down the road. “He’s the best in the whole world!”

               “We’re going to the doctor?” Harry asked nervously.

               Severus silently scolded Iris in his head, but he knew she had not meant to upset Harry. He had been hoping for a quiet ride to the doctor’s, but what could one expect with two six-year-olds?

               “I don’t want to go to the doctor,” Harry said.

               “We need to get your asthma under control,” Severus said. He adjusted the rear-view mirror so he could see Harry in it, alternating between watching the road and watching Harry’s reaction.

               “I don’t have asthma.”

               “I disagree.”

               “I don’t like doctors.”

               “Ours is nice,” Iris said, smiling at Harry. “He gives me lollies every time I see him. And he’s also a wizard. Shhh!” Iris put a finger to her lips and shushed Harry as if she had just revealed a big secret.

               “I don’t want to go!” Harry said louder. He kicked the seat in front of him. “I want to go home.”

               “Harry.” Severus eyed Harry in the mirror, meeting his son’s eyes. “Do not kick my seat.”

               The stern voice sent shivers down Harry’s back, and he lowered his head, peering up at Severus through his bangs. At that Severus reangled his mirror and focused on the road. It was a quiet ride the rest of the way, Iris swinging her feet and Harry sulking out the window. They arrived at the muggle office and Iris jumped out of her seat and waited for her father impatiently while he helped Harry figure out where the seatbelt connected to. Once Harry was free, they walked into the reception area. Iris led Harry over to the play area while Severus checked them in.

               When a nurse called the kids in, Severus took their hands and walked them after her. Iris pulled free to be weighed and measured first, while Harry needed prying away from Severus. After temperatures and blood pressures were taken, they waited for the doctor in an exam room. Iris jumped up on the table while Harry decided to take the chair next to Severus, leaning against him.

               “May I ask what is wrong about the doctor’s office?” Severus questioned.

               “I don’t like it. They poke me and stab me with needles and I never get a treat like Dudley.”

               “We’re getting a needle?” Iris cried, covering her arms protectively.

               “No,” Severus answered, wrapping an arm around Harry. “No one is getting a needle today. Harry, I don’t know everything you’ve been through, but our doctor is very nice. He will look you over and hopefully prescribe some medicine for you.”

               “More medicine?” Harry’s lower lip trembled.

               “It’s to help you,” Severus said. “That’s all I’m trying to do.”

               After fifteen minutes, Doctor Villin finally entered.

               “Wow, look how much you’ve grown, Iris!” He said cheerily, walking up to the table. “What happened to the baby girl that barely fit in my hands?”

               “I’m a grown up, now,” Iris said, sitting tall on the table.

               “I see,” Doctor Villin smiled. “Too grown up for a lolli?”

               Iris shook her head as she accepted the candy Doctor Villin held out to her. Doctor Villin turned his attention on Harry.

               “Now, I believe the appointment was made for you, young man,” he said. “What’s your name?”

               Harry turned his face into Severus’s shirt, who rested a hand on Harry’s back.

               “I’m sorry,” Severus said, “I do not believe he’s had any good hospital experience. This is Harry.”

               “Hello, Harry,” Doctor Villin said, sitting down in the chair across from them and pulling it toward Severus and Harry. “I’m not going to do anything to you that you won’t like. I just want to make sure you’re healthy. Would you like to see me perform some tests on your sister?”

               Harry peeked out at the doctor, who quickly used the opportunity to flick his wand at Iris, sending shimmering gold swirls that wrapped around Iris before vanishing. A parchment appeared in the air next to Iris, who grabbed it and held it out for Doctor Villin helpfully.

               “Thank you, Iris,” he said, then glanced it over. “Looks like you are perfectly healthy, as is to be expected. Now your turn Harry. What do you say?”

               It didn’t look so bad. Harry bravely sat up and closed his eyes. He nodded.

               Doctor Villin didn’t comment on the frightened look, Harry had. He flicked his wand and waited a few seconds before the parchment appeared. He read the notes, tsking at what he saw. Severus frowned, holding his tongue and forcing himself to be patient while he waited for the doctor’s analysis.

               “Very interesting,” Doctor Villin said.

               “What is it?” Severus couldn’t help himself.

               “Well, from what you’ve told me about the situation, everything here fits the scenario. I’ll give you a muggle report for the case. He’s severely malnourished, slightly dehydrated, and his growth has been stunted a bit. He has quite a few deficiencies, vitamin A, B12, iron, calcium—as I said, I’ll give you the report. He’ll definitely need to start on some daily vitamins for a while along with beginning a healthier diet. I’d also like you to make sure he’s drinking plenty of milk and water. I’m going to send you the recipe for a nutrient potion that meets his needs. Now, what’s this I hear about asthma?”

               “Nothing,” Harry muttered, hiding his face back into Severus’s robe.

               Severus picked Harry up and stood him in between his knees so he was facing Doctor Villin, who summoned a strange, ruler like object. He attached a mouthpiece to it, then held it out for Harry.

               “This is a peak flow meter,” Doctor Villin said. “What I’d like you to do is put your mouth around here, like this.” Doctor Villin demonstrated, then swished a cleansing spell on the device before holding it back out. “Then, you’re going to blow really fast into it as hard as you can. Okay? Let’s practice. Take a deep breath.”

               Harry took a deep breath.

               “Now let it out really fast.”

               Harry did so, and the doctor nodded.

               “Good. Again, but on the meter this time.”

               Harry took a deep breath and carefully put the mouthpiece in his mouth, then tried his best to blow fast on it. He ended up coughing and he pulled away from the meter, wheezing slightly from the effort. Severus gently rubbed his back.

               “Eighty-seven liters per minute,” the doctor said, reading the meter. He moved closer to show Severus what he was looking at. “His normal should be in the one-twenty to one-forty range. It’s a nifty little muggle device, great for keeping track of his breathing. I’m going to let you keep this one, I’ll get you the manual.”

               Harry leaned back against Severus as the two adults talked about inhalers and prescriptions and when to use what and how often. It was a lot of information and Harry didn’t like how many times the word “potion” or “medicine” came up. He rubbed his eyes tiredly, spotting Iris sucking on the lollipop she had been given and playing with the blood pressure cuffs. Finally, the doctor was handing a few scripts to Severus and a small baggie with two inhalers in it.

               “These should get you through until you get your scripts in. This one is the quick relief, not unlike the potion you were giving Harry yesterday. This one is his long-term medication. He needs to take it twice daily; once in the morning and once at night. Let’s start with one puff and see how it helps him. Make sure you’re watching for any anaphylactic reactions when he starts this, and keep an eye out for any other adverse signs to the medicine. Would you like him to have his first dose now so in case any thing does happen, he is still within the hospital?”

               “Yes, of course,” Severus said, worry now filling his chest.

               The doctor helped Harry figure out how to hold the pump and correctly place it in his mouth, Severus watching closely. Harry took a deep breath in before coughing and pushing the inhaler away.

               “It’s weird for the first timers,” the doctor said, but he’ll get used to it. He may need some assistance for a while until he is able to take it on his own every day when he should.”

               Severus could already see the many future battles he was going to have with Harry. He sighed and nodded his head, taking the inhaler back and putting it in the bag.

               “And for being such a brave boy.” Doctor Villin held out another lolli for Harry.

               “For me?” Harry said, his eyes wide as he slowly reached for the lollipop. “Really?”

               “Yes, for you. You did very good today.”

               Harry looked at Severus, who nodded his head, then he smiled and accepted the lollipop.

               “Thank you.” Harry said.

               The small family left the hospital. Severus helped the kids back into their car seats before driving over to a small kid clothing store. There, he helped Harry try on several clothes, and allowed Harry to pick out what he liked, which was like pulling teeth.

               “Harry, I don’t want to be here all day any more than you probably do,” Severus said. “But you need to help me out by picking what you like and not just agreeing to everything I grab. Do you actually like this shirt?” Severus held out a plaid shirt.

               Harry shrugged. “I don’t know,” he said softly.

               Severus set the shirt down and rubbed a hand through his hair. He hated shopping. Perhaps he should have Addie come back with Harry. After raising five kids and nannying several others, she would know how to engage with Harry more at the store and help him find what he liked.

               “Daddy, can I have this?” Iris asked, running up to him with a pink tutu. “I need a new one for dance.”

               “You have three new ones,” Severus frowned at her. “Put that back. We’re shopping for Harry, remember?”

               “What about this?” Iris held up a frilly skirt.

               “Iris, please,” Severus dragged a hand down his face. “Not now. Put those back.”

               “Fine,” Iris complained. “Harry, I found a bunch of dinosaur hoodies—want to see?”

               “Okay,” Harry agreed, running after Iris before Severus could scold them to stay close.

               Intrigued by Iris’s remark, Severus followed the kids, pushing his cart along. He caught up to them running through the stands, looking at hoodies with big T-rexes and brachiosauruses and velociraptors. Harry kept running back to the one with T-rex on it, and Severus decided to find Harry’s size on the rack. The two kids found more dinosaur themed clothing and then monster truck themed shirts. Severus was happy to let Iris lead the way and picked up what he noticed Harry take interest in. This was not so bad after all.

               Finally, Severus decided he had enough clothes to get Harry through winter at least. He paid for everything and put all the bags in the trunk while the two kids jumped in their car seats expectantly, Harry finally getting into the routine of car travel.

               Once they were secured, Severus decided to make a quick stop at Iris’s school to inquire about enrolling Harry, hoping it was not too late. It was mid-January, and the staff were very excited to have Harry join the school and they would mail Severus the required paperwork and needed records he would have to send in. Severus hoped Harry was up to date on his vaccines. He would have to find out where Harry had gone previously for doctor visits.

               When he was ready to leave, he found Iris in her classroom talking with her teacher, showing Harry off. All the students were on lunch now, so the classroom was empty. Severus paused outside the door, leaning against the frame as he listened to Iris.

               “And after the doctor’s, we went shopping and found a lot of dinosaur things for him,” Iris was saying, Harry quietly standing beside her, his head slightly lowered. “He likes dinosaurs.”

               “Is that so?” the teacher, Mrs. Hadewin said, smiling at Harry. “We’ll have a little paleontologist in our classroom, won’t we?”

               Harry shrugged, but offered a small smile.

               “He doesn’t talk much,” Iris explained. “Dad says he has to get comfortable around us, and I have to help him and show him everything’s not so bad—that’s why Dad let me stay home today.”

               “Well, I am so proud of you for being such a good sister,” Mrs. Hadewin said. “I look forward to seeing you in class, Harry.”

               Harry didn’t say anything, and Severus entered the classroom.

               “Okay, you two, I think it’s time to head home,” Severus said.

               “Aww,” Iris pouted.

               “Would you like to stay for your afternoon classes?” Severus asked, raising a brow. “Or help me fix up Harry’s room?”

               Iris frowned in thought, then said, “Fix up Harry’s room!”

               “Then let’s head back to the car.”

               As the two kids ran ahead, Mrs. Hadewin walked at Severus’s side.

               “I am so sorry to hear what’s happened with Harry,” she said. “How did you find out he was your son?”

               “DNA test,” Severus said, leaving out any more details than that.

               “I read the paper this morning. The details were atrocious. His bedroom was a cupboard? And they made him a chimney sweep—my heart breaks just thinking about it. I wish you luck, Mr. Snape. And I do look forward to having little Harry in my class. I think he’ll do very well here.”

               “Thank you,” Severus said. He bid farewell, then drove home.

               He opened the trunk and used a spell to transport all the bags to Harry’s room and the new medications to his own bedroom to review later.

               “Why are we back here?” Harry asked as he jumped out of the car.

               “Because its where we live, silly,” Iris said, skipping over to him.

               “No, it’s where you live. I live with my aunt and uncle. I have to go back to them.”

               “Nuh-uh,” Iris said, shakingher head, her red hair flying about. “Daddy says you’re staying here now. You’re never leaving. Ever.”

               Severus had just shut the trunk when he heard Iris declare the truth. He winced, waiting for Harry’s reaction to that.

               “No!” Harry shouted at her. “I have to leave. This isn’t my house. I want to go home.” Harry ran to the back of the car and looked up at Severus. “I want to go back home. Take me back.”

               Severus sighed, and kneeled in front of Harry. He might as well as tell the child.

               “Harry,” he began gently. “Your aunt and uncle were arrested this morning on several accounts of child neglect, abuse, and endangerment. They are behind bars without bail while they wait for their trial. Your cousin is living with an aunt and you are staying with us. That’s the end of it.”

               Harry blinked back tears.

               “Why were they arrested?”

               “Because what they did to you—how they treated you was wrong.”

               “No, it wasn’t. Aunt Petunia loves me. She never hurt me.”

               “I disagree. Making a child climb up a chimney is dangerous and illegal. You could have been killed. It’s aggravating your asthma, you could have suffocated.”

               “I was careful.”

               “She denied you food—”

               “No, she fed me. Every day.”

               “She made you a slave to her family—”

               “No, she didn’t. I have to help around the house.”

               “And she did not report you missing when you mysteriously “vanished.” And your uncle allowed all of this.”

               “You can’t keep me here! I want to go home.” Harry stomped his foot.

               “Unfortunately, you have nowhere else to go. Your relatives are behind bars and we have a trial to get through. It would really help me if you tried to understand why what they did was wrong.”

               “They didn’t do anything. Take them out of jail.”

               “That’s beyond my control, Harry,” Severus said, standing up and throwing his hands up.

               “Then I’m taking them out of jail,” Harry declared before running off down the driveway.

               “Harry!” Severus shouted, running after him. He grabbed Harry before he could run into the street, lifting him up and carrying him back to the house.

               “No!” Harry screamed, kicking all the way. “I don’t want to stay. I want Aunt Petunia! I want to go home. I want Aunt Petunia!”

               It was hard to hear. Severus set Harry down in the house before he shut and locked the door with a spell that wouldn’t allow Harry to open the door. Harry pushed past him and tried to open the door before screaming and pounding on it. Severus quickly and wordlessly spelled every window and outside door to the house locked, sadly watching Harry throw himself to the floor, kicking and crying, yelling about not wanting to stay and missing Aunt Petunia. And he knew that “Aunt Petunia” did not miss Harry. Noted in the muggle paper that morning, Aunt Petunia’s words about her missing nephew had been “good riddance.”