Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
If you haven’t realized already, I am an American and this fic is not Britpicked. You might also notice that this chapter is basically just me talking out of my ass. I barely understand the American legal system, much less the British or magical one. So it’s kind of a mix of three of them and in no way plausible. But hopefully it’s understandable, even if not logical.

This chapter is set several months after the last one.
Debacle
The chilly January air bit at their skin as he and Snape walked on the sidewalks of London, heading towards the visitor entrance to the Ministry of Magic.

Harry thought that it was a very odd way to enter a building, through an old telephone booth. It reminded him of Dudley watching Doctor Who, though he wasn’t quite sure what role the telephone booth in the show played exactly. Or was it a police box? He’d only seen glimpses of the show a few times, and it was way back when Harry still had trouble distinguishing one color from another.

Harry had tried his very best not to think about it, but the knowledge that the eleventh day in 1994 was the day of the trial, the day he would have to testify against the Dursleys, had resided in the back of his mind for months. He had practiced and rehearsed in the bathroom mirror all throughout those months, even as he was pretending that this day would never come.

He knew that the day definitely had come now, and as they entered the box and Snape dialed six, two, four, four, two into the keypad, Harry wondered if butterflies could swim in rivers or pools as they had a habit of training for the Olympics in his stomach.

“Welcome to the Ministry of Magic. Please state your name and business,” said a cool female voice from seemingly nowhere.

“Professor Severus Snape and Harry Potter, Dursley trial,” said Snape.

Two square badges came out of the metal chute where returned coins usually appeared. “Visitors, please attach the badges to the front of your robes. You are required to submit to a search and present your wand for registration at the security desk, which is located at the far end of the Atrium.”

Harry worried his bottom lip. Snape had assured him that the trial would be a quiet affair, but Harry thought that it would be rather difficult with his unfortunate celebrity status. Not only did he have the lightning bolt scar to prove it but now a badge displaying his name as well, things that would surely be taken note of during a search.

“Don’t worry,” Snape murmured, picking up the badge that said Harry Potter, Dursley Trial and pinning it on the far right of Harry’s shirt and pulling his jacket over it to cover it. “The voice you heard just now is of artificial intelligence and Madam Bones will meet us down there before we reach the security desk to escort us to our destination.”

The floor of the telephone box started to move as Snape put his own badge on and they were plunged into darkness. Harry thought he might have held in his breath the full minute it took to reach wherever they were going.

“The Ministry of Magic wishes you a pleasant day,” the female voice said once the lighting had been fully restored and the door of the telephone office sprung open. Yeah, sure, Harry thought to himself as he stepped out of the box and trailed behind Snape. It was likely a very lovely hallway that they were walking down, but Harry only took note of the polished dark wood floor as he was staring down at it.

“Professor Snape, Mr. Potter,” he heard a woman greet them after a couple of minutes of walking and Harry recognized the voice to be that of Amelia Bones. He might have overheard a few of her and Snape’s conversations through the Floo Network. She gestured for them to follow her and she led them to a spacious room he assumed to be her office.

“Please, take a seat,” she said as she went over to sit in the chair in front of her desk. Harry waited for Snape to sit down before doing so himself in the chair beside him.

“Now, Harry,” Madam Bones started, seeming comfortable with dropping the formalities in the privacy of her office. At the sound of his name, he finally glanced up at her and took note of her kind looking features. “I presume that Professor Snape has gone over the details with you concerning what will happen today?”

Harry swallowed thickly before responding. “Yes, ma’am, I think so. He said that I can wait outside the courtroom until they call me to testify.”

“Is that what you want to do?”

Harry glanced over at Snape before giving a hesitant nod. He hated the idea of sitting and waiting for who knows how long but he really didn’t want to be in a room with his aunt and uncle for any longer than he had to be.

“Okay. The trial starts in about half an hour so I’m going to take you to a comfortable room away from prying eyes. There are plenty of books there to choose from if you would like to read or I believe that you brought your school assignments with you?”

“Yes,” said Harry. His professors had given him the day's assignments that morning so that he wouldn’t get behind, though he very much doubted that he would be able to concentrate on his schoolwork today.

“Good. Follow me, then.” She stood and led them out of the room and they took a flight of stairs down to a lower level of the Ministry. The courtroom entrance was at the end of the hallway and Madam Bones stopped at a door several feet away from it. She opened it to reveal a truly comfortable looking sitting room. The walls were painted a warm shade of blue and the space seemed to contain enough books upon the shelves to be considered a library. The room was furnished with a couple of beanbag chairs and a plush couch. It was a waiting room clearly made for juvenile witnesses and Harry felt as though there would be a crate of toys hiding somewhere but he did not spot one. He wasn’t quite sure if he was relieved or disappointed.

Harry pretended to study the book titles as Madam Bones stood in the doorway quietly conversing with Snape. He couldn’t make out many words in their conversation, but his name was soon mentioned in a louder tone. He looked up to see Snape standing with his arms crossed and Madam Bones smiling softly at him. He approached them slowly when it became evident that they were talking to him rather than about him.

“I know that today will not be easy for you, Harry, but I believe that everything will work out in the end,” Madam Bones told him kindly. Harry forced himself to nod though he hardly agreed with her assessment. She smiled at him again.

“I’ll leave you two alone,” she said, referring to Harry and Snape.

“Thank you,” Harry whispered as she closed the door behind her. He stared at it for a moment before he felt a warm hand on his shoulder. He didn’t have to look to know who it was. Well, considering that they were the only two in the room, it would have been pretty creepy if it had been anyone else but Snape.

“You should go,” said Harry quietly. “There’s only a few minutes left before it starts.”

“Perhaps I’ll stay here with you until they summon me,” responded Snape.

Harry shook his head, looking up at him. “No, you should go. I’ll be fine.”

Snape looked torn. “Are you certain?”

“Yes,” Harry said firmly. It was the plan to start with, after all. He would be fine. Fine fine fine. He wouldn’t be any more fine whether Snape was here or not, anyway.

Snape seemed to hesitate before kneeling down in front of Harry, hands placed on his shoulders. “Madam Bones is correct, everything will work out in the end. I wish that I could make this situation go away so that we would not have to make you testify.”

“Then don’t,” Harry pleaded softly, the nerves he had been trying so desperately to quell finally getting the better of him. “Don’t make me.”

“Oh, Harry,” Snape sighed, pulling him into a gentle embrace.

“I don’t want to do it,” Harry said, voice muffled. “I really, really don’t want to.”

“I know. I don’t want to make you do this. But it’s for the best, can’t you see?”

“I do see. That doesn’t make it suck any less.”

Snape chuckled and pulled away a bit to look him in the eye. “I’m sorry, Harry.”

Harry shook his head. “It’s not your fault.” Snape seemed ready to open his mouth and go on about how every decision he ever made in his life led them to this moment and Harry placed his hand over his lips before he could start. “Don’t.”

Snape shook off Harry’s hand but said no more. They stayed together like that until they heard the sound of a clock chiming the turn of the hour. “It’s starting,” said Harry. “You better go.”

“Would you like me to ask Mr. or Mrs. Weasley to stay with you?”

Harry grimaced. He appreciated that the Weasleys had taken the time out of their day to support him at the trial, but he was really dreading testifying in front of them. He definitely didn’t want to sit in a room with one of them for who knows how long. Not today, anyway. “No.”

“Are you su-”

Yes. I’ll be occupied with doing my schoolwork. Just go.”

Snape hesitated a moment longer before standing. “Okay. Okay.” He squeezed Harry’s shoulder before going to the door and leaving him completely.

Harry went over to the couch and flopped down onto it, sighing. It was going to be a long freaking day. One he surely wasn’t going to spend staying caught up on his schoolwork. He burrowed himself down into the cushions, preparing himself for a long yet still somehow terse wait.

***

Severus was in a difficult position. He, like Harry, had to testify today as he had been the healer to uncover and report the abuse. He also would like nothing more than to see the bastards Harry called relatives exploited.

Nothing more, perhaps, except staying with Harry and taking him far away from this. That’s what the parent in him wanted to do so desperately. The healer in him, however, had a responsibility, and knew that there wasn’t enough evidence to convict Vernon and Petunia Dursley without witness testimonies.

Luckily, the fact that Harry and Severus were related themselves was still a relative secret, otherwise their case might look very messy indeed. Even then, there was a big possibility that the Muggles would worm their way out of punishment. Severus wasn’t sure what he would do at that point. As a supposedly reformed Death Eater, it really wasn’t his place to take the law into his own hands. But he definitely knew how, should it come to it.

He seated himself in the front row next to Molly and Arthur just as the judge entered the room. Amelia Bones and Arabella Figg sat a couple of rows behind them. The prosecutor was sitting on the right side of the courtroom, the Dursleys were with their barrister on the left. Vernon sat with his arms crossed glaring at the judge whilst Petunia held herself perfectly still.

“Good afternoon,” said the judge. “For those of you who don’t know, I am Judge Randolph. I am a firm believer in fair trials and in justice being served. This is often a difficult feat to achieve, but if everyone here agrees to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, then we should be fine.”

Judge Randolph gazed out at the courtroom before him. Not many people were in attendance, Madam Bones had kept her promise on this being a private affair. He then looked down at his paperwork. “Mr. and Mrs. Dursley have both been charged with child abuse, child neglect and money laundering. I would first like to hear the opening statement from the prosecution.”

“Thank you, Judge Randolph,” stated the prosecutor as he stood to address the courtroom. “My name is Mason Flecy. I am proud to represent the Ministry in this case as I believe without any doubt that Vernon and Petunia Dursley committed these crimes. At the conclusion of the case, after you have heard all the evidence, I am confident that you will agree and that the verdict will be guilty.

“Mr. and Mrs. Dursley were entrusted with the care of their orphaned nephew, the child that Mrs. Dursleys sister gave her life to protect. They were given a stipend to care for the child, so there was no financial strain. While it is true that they may not have volunteered to take in their nephew, they did agree to do so and accepted the money easily. However, that money was not put towards the child’s upbringing. They used it to go on elebrat vacations and to buy expensive Muggle gadgets for their own child, all while constantly reminding their nephew what a burden he was on them.”

Flecy turned to face the Dursleys, no hesitation displayed in his features as he addressed them. “The defendants kept the child in a cupboard for ten long years, only letting him out for school and chores. They lied to him about his magical heritage and the truth of his parents' deaths, starved him and belittled him day after day.

“This is a strong case for emotional abuse and neglect as it is, but unfortunately it does not stop there. On more than one occasion, the Dursleys chose to partake in physical violence with their nephew. You will soon hear from Professor Severus Snape about the details of those injuries, but I assure you they were far beyond what one might consider reasonable corporal punishment, if there is such a thing.

“Why was the child being punished, you might ask? Accidental magic. Yes, something that most guardians are immensely proud of, the Dursleys used as an excuse to harm their nephew further. I must say, we are lucky not to have an Obscurus on our hands.”

Severus grimaced. They were fortunate, indeed. He supposed that Harry’s lack of knowledge regarding his accidental magic may have been the reason he did not try to repress it. You can’t exactly go about destroying something that you don’t know exists.

“You will soon hear from four witnesses. Professor Severus Snape, whom I mentioned before, will discuss the details of the victim’s medical report with us as he was the healer to uncover and report the abuse. Madam Amelia Bones will walk us through the investigation. Arabella Figg, a Squib neighbor, will provide an eyewitness account from throughout the years. And if that is not enough, the victim himself is here on standby.”

There was a possibility that Harry would not have to testify at all, but Amelia had said that he needed to be prepared either way and Severus hadn’t wanted to get his hopes up. Three witnesses should have been more than enough, but in cases like these it was probable that the judge would still want to speak to the victim.

“I ask you to give your full attention to these witnesses. After you have heard all the evidence, I believe that you will find the defendant guilty as charged on all counts. Thank you,” Flecy said before taking his seat.

Judge Randolph nodded. “Thank you, Mr. Flecy. The defense now may provide their own statement.”

The Dursleys' barrister stood. “Thank you, Judge Randolph. And thank you, Mr. Flecy, for that admirable opening statement. As a Muggle-born, I do often find myself reminiscent of the courtroom dramas that are shown on Muggle television, so thank you for providing us all with that refreshing bit of entertainment.”

Severus resisted the urge to growl. This was going to be a long day.

“My name is Jared Rimen,” the barrister continued, “and I am here today to represent the defendants, Vernon and Petunia Dursley.” He pointed to the wretched people as if to humanize them.

“There are no witnesses to be seen in defense of Mr. and Mrs. Dursley. Why is that, you might ask? Well, let us be honest. There is no need to use the evasive terms “victim”, “child”, and “nephew” in this case. We all know whom we are speaking of.

“The person in question is Harry Potter, a boy who is well-known for being, quite frankly, an attention seeker. I am fairly surprised that I was still required to partake in a magical oath to keep this trial secret.

“It is tragic, yes, that his mother and father passed away when he was so young. Things like that can leave a child traumatized. But Harry Potter takes this to the next level. It is quite saddening that he has now turned to accusing his own family of abuse. A family that has shown him nothing but love throughout the years and has only wished the best for him. I do wonder if it has something to do with his supposed defeat of He Who Must Not Be Named? After all, everyone knows that sometimes, darkness can only be conquered by more darkness.

“Which leads us to the heart of the matter. You have been told that the Dursleys are ashamed of Mr. Potter’s magical heritage when it is really quite the opposite. Mr. Potter is in fact ashamed of his Muggle heritage.”

Severus’ felt his blood begin to boil. Was this really the angle the defense was going with, that Harry was prejudiced against Muggles? The Muggles were prejudiced against anyone of magical heritage!

“Mr. and Mrs. Dursley have tried their very best to include Mr. Potter in their Muggle family, but he has only refused to accept that they are even related. He refuses to come home from school for the holidays, he has never once written a letter home, he goes off in flying cars, disappearing in the middle of the night!

“I do not wish to shame Mr. Potter, as I know that he is a troubled young lad. But now he has wrongly accused his loving family of neglecting him. This is nothing more than a desperate plea for attention from a misguided orphan. I am hopeful that you will see these facts and at the end of this trial, justice will be served. A verdict of guilty in this case would be a travesty.” And with that, Rimen sat back down.

There was silence for a long moment before Judge Randolph began to speak. “Thank you for that… enlightening speech, Mr. Rimen,” he said, shuffling the papers on his bench. “Mr. Flecy, you may now begin the examination of your first witness.”

“Yes, Judge Randolph. The prosecution calls Madam Amelia Bones to the stand.”

Madam Bones stood and went to sit at the witness stand as Severus presumed she had done numerous times before. “Do you solemnly and sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence you shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?” asked Judge Randolph.

Madam Bones raised her left hand in the air and placed her right over her heart. “I do solemnly and sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.”

The judge nodded and looked to Flecy. Flecy stood and went to face the stand.

“Good afternoon, Madam Bones,” Flecy greeted her warmly. She smiled softly in response.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Flecy.”

“I would like to ask you a few questions concerning the investigation of the Dursley residence. The report of abuse was sent to you on August the 2nd, correct?”

“Yes, it was. Upon receiving the report, I sent two Aurors to investigate the house and take the Dursleys into custody.”

“And what did those Aurors find?”

“They found heavy traces of magic in the cupboard under the stairs, which suggests that someone of magical blood spent long periods of time in there. They reported finding four bedrooms upstairs, the master, the guest, a very well furnished child’s room and one other room. The final room had a cat flap at the bottom of the door, which if you are unaware, is a Muggle device used for a pet to go in and out of the house. In this case it was believed to be a way to pass food to the occupant of the room. There were also several locks on the door. The room itself was scarcely furnished. The room contained one window, which had bars on it.”

“Bars? As in, prison cell bars?”

“Yes, I believe that was the intent.”

Severus could sense Molly beside him becoming distressed even as she kept silent, but Severus kept his stony composure and strengthened his Occlumency shields. He had already heard this report, and Harry had said things as well; it wasn’t news to him.

“I see. Thank you, Madam Bones, I believe that concludes my questioning.” Flecy nodded at the judge and went to sit.

“Mr. Rimen, would you like to cross-examine the witness?” questioned Judge Randolph.

“No, thank you, Your Honor.”

The judge raised his eyebrows. “Very well. Mr. Flecy, you may deliver your second witness.”

Madam Bones left the stand and Flecy stood up again just as he was sitting. “Yes, sir. The prosecution calls Arabella Figg to the stand.”

The old Squib made her way to the stand where she made her affirmation just as Madam Bones had done.

“Mrs. Figg,” Flecy greeted her. “How are you today?”

“To be frank with you, young man, I am quite upset today.”

“Oh? And why is that?”

“Because it has taken twelve years for this day to come. For twelve long years I have watched that child be harmed every way under the sun and it has taken this long for something to be done about it!” She crossed her arms over her chest and Severus wondered absently if he was imagining her glaring at him or if she was actually doing so.

“I find myself in agreement with you, Mrs. Figg. It is unfortunate that it tends to take so long to receive justice in cases such as these. Would you care to share with the court your observations of the Dursley family through the years?

“Yes, of course. I moved into the neighborhood, oh, just a month or so after little Harry had been left with those dreadful people. They barely knew me, but they asked me to babysit the little tyke quite often. While they went on trips with their son to who knows where, their little nephew was abandoned. Not that I didn’t take good care of him, mind you.”

“Oh, of course, Mrs. Figg! I imagine that you took very good care of the child. But can you describe to us his treatment when he was in the care of his relatives?”

“I would hardly call it care!” Mrs. Figg huffed. “He always had diaper rashes when they left him with me, and as I watched the two boys grow it was obvious that they adored one and barely tolerated the other. While Dudley was given the newest and finest of everything, Harry was dressed in hand-me-downs that did not fit him. The difference in weight was startling as well. Harry has always been a skinny little thing, and Dudley is the size of a baby killer whale!”

A small strangled noise could be heard and Severus perceived it as coming from Petunia. Harry’s cousin was severely overweight, after all.

“Yes, I think just about anyone could compare the two and perceive neglect. Did you ever notice any signs of physical abuse?”

“Unfortunately, yes. I think Harry was about eight the first time I noticed something. I wouldn’t have seen it if the shirt sleeve hadn’t been so oversized, but it did slip down and there was a very large bruise on his arm. I asked him what happened and he struggled for an answer for a moment before saying that it was from his cousin.

“While it’s true that the Dursleys allowed their son to bully Harry relentlessly, his hesitation was a big cause for my concern. There were several more incidents like that throughout the years, but the most notable one was of course this summer.”

“And what was it that happen this summer, Mrs. Figg?”

“One night The Accidental Magic Reversal Squad showed up at the Dursley house and the next day I saw Harry getting into a cab, looking like a train wreck. I floo’d Molly and Arthur Weasley, as I knew that their family is close with the boy and thought that they might could help. They made to retrieve him and the next thing I know I’m getting subpoenaed for court, so I’m assuming that it was pretty bad.”

“Yes, yes, it was pretty bad indeed. We will hear all about that from my next witness. That will be all for me, thank you for answering my questions so thoroughly, Mrs. Figg.” Flecy smiled at her and again went to sit. But when prompted, Rimen declined to cross-examine Mrs. Figg.

“Very well,” Judge Randolph murmured. Mr. Flecy, your next witness.”

“Wait,” said Mrs. Figg. “I would like to say something, if I may?” For confirmation she looked at Judge Randolph, who nodded.

She stared directly at the Dursleys. “For years I watched as you did everything in your power to tear that boy apart. He has every right to kick and scream and yell about the unfairness of life, but yet he doesn’t, for somehow despite everything, he is an outstanding young man. You tried to break his spirit, and you failed. I’m not in the habit of forgiving. I hope you spend the rest of your lives in Azkaban. But I know that if you asked Harry himself, if you offered him a chance to start fresh, he would forgive all that you’ve done to him in a heartbeat.”

She turned her gaze onto Rimen. “His capacity to love is beyond any I’ve ever seen. You are so very wrong about him, and I believe that will be proven today. Thank you.” She then left the witness stand and returned to her seat.

The courtroom was silent for a moment before Flecy cleared his throat. “Thank you, Mrs. Figg. The prosecution calls Professor Severus Snape to the stand.”

Severus felt Molly squeeze his hand briefly before he stood and made his way over to the witness stand. He secured his shields and placed on his mask. Now was not the time to be an angry father, it was time to be a professional healer. He made his affirmation before sitting.

“Professor Snape,” Flecy smiled and Severus blinked at him in return. “Is it true that you were the healer to document and report the abuse to the Ministry?”

“Yes,” drawled Severus, “that is true.”

“Could you go over your experience with us?”

“Yes. I was called by Arthur Weasley who requested my assistance at his residence. I first performed the standard diagnostic scan to detect current ailments. The child in question had sustained numerous injuries, nothing immediately life threatening but definitely could have ended up there if left untreated. After healing his present injuries, I ran a medical history scan. The list was extensive. I knew then that I was dealing with an abuse case.”

“What led you to believe that Mr. and Mrs. Dursley were the perpetrators?”

“Ninety-nine percent of the time, abuse is the result of domestic violence. It was the logical conclusion. It is also fairly public knowledge that he does not get along with his relatives.”

“One might wonder if this knowledge clouded your judgement?” said Flecy. “After all, it has been said that Mr. Potter is prejudiced against Muggles.”

Severus raised an eyebrow. Flecy hadn’t challenged Madam Bones or Mrs. Figg’s statements in the least, so he had assumed the same treatment. Perhaps this strategy could work, though.

“I assure you, I couldn't care less about the child,” Severus lied. “You can question my colleagues. He is a poor student and I’m skeptical to believe a word he says. However, as an experienced healer, it was fairly obvious to me how the injuries were obtained and the only real possible suspects. Taking into account the obvious neglect… I don’t really see how the defense can believe it has a defense.

“And I assure you that Mr. Potter is not prejudiced. His best friend is a Muggle-born,” Severus finished, rolling his eyes.

“Thank you, Professor Snape.” Flecy made no move to return to his seat this time, glancing at Rimen who chuckled.

“I have no desire to cross-examine this witness.”

Severus gave a sardonic bow before going back to his seat. Rimen was playing an odd game and Severus dreaded to see what dice he would roll once Harry was in the room. Though perhaps the three testimonies had been enough...

“All the present witnesses have spoken, Your Honor,” announced Flecy.

“Yes… now I believe that I would like to hear from the victim himself,” Judge Randolph stated softly.

Serverus sighed inwardly. No such luck.

“Very well,” said Flecy. “Madam Bones, would you please retrieve the lad for us?”

“Of course,” she responded, standing and exiting the room.

Severus had done his best to prepare Harry for this moment. Now he could only hope that it had been enough.

***

There was a soft knock on the door before Madam Bones entered, startling Harry and causing him to fall off the couch that he had most certainly not been taking a nap on.

Well, he hadn’t slept very well the night before.

The Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement smiled at him and Harry felt the dread return to his stomach in a flood.

He sat up quickly, rubbing his eyes under his glasses. “Madam Bones?”

“Hi, Harry,” she said, kneeling down beside him. If he hadn’t known already, he would now know that this definitely wasn’t good news. “The judge is asking for your testimony.”

Harry took a deep breath. And then proceeded to choke on it.

It was probably kind of weird, having the highest ranking person in the largest department of the Ministry patting you on the back as you choked on air. But Harry was pretty used to weird things at this point.

“You only need to tell the truth, Harry.” Madam Bones soothed once his coughing had subsided.

“Yeah,” he muttered. “That doesn’t make it any easier.” He lifted himself off the ground and offered the older woman a hand up.

“Are you sure you're ready?” she asked, accepting his hand and standing alongside him.

“No. But I don’t have much of a choice, do I? I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.”

She hummed her response and led him out of the waiting room and into the hall, pausing in front of the courtroom doors.

“It’s not your fault.”

Snape had told him that numerous times over the past few months, but it felt quite a bit different coming from the lips of someone who wasn’t somewhat required to be nice to him.

He nodded. “I know.” And he did, didn’t he? It had taken a long time to come to terms with it, and he still sometimes doubted it, but deep down, he knew that it wasn’t his fault.

She smiled. “You’ll do great. Good luck.”

And then the doors were opening and Harry was shakily making his way to the witness stand.

“Good afternoon, Harry,” the judge greeted warmly, leaning over his bench to look him in the eye. Harry might have tried to smile back at him if he didn’t resent him a bit for holding the keys to his freedom.

“I’m Judge Randolph,” the man introduced himself. “Normally, I would have a witness swear an oath or make an affirmation, but as you are underage, I’m only asking you to make a promise, okay? Do you promise to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?”

Harry nodded. He felt like he was being treated like a little kid, but he was so scared and nervous that he felt a bit like being treated like a little kid just then.

“Yes, sir, I promise.”

“Thank you.” Judge Randolph turned to address the prosecutor. “Mr. Flecy, are you prepared to question the witness?”

“Yes, your honor,” said Mr. Flecy. He then came over to face Harry. “Hello, lad. Could you state your name and age for the court, please?”

“My name is Harry Potter, I’m thirteen years old.”

“How long have you lived with your relatives?”

“For as long as I can remember. I was sent to live with them after my parents died, I was fifteen months old then.”

“Can you tell us what your life was like while living with them?”

Harry took a deep breath. “Terrible. I mean, what do you want to know?”

“How about you start by telling us about your bedroom?”

“Well, er… I didn’t really have a bedroom until I got my Hogwarts acceptance letter a few years ago…”

“Where did you sleep before?”

“In the cupboard under the stairs.”

“How many bedrooms are in the house?”

“Four.”

“And they made you sleep in a cupboard?”

“Yes.”

“Hmm. What was your bedroom like once you were given one?”

“Well, I still never really considered it mine. It was my cousin’s second bedroom, for all his broken toys and stuff, and he was really mad when I got it. But, um… I guess it was better than a cupboard.”

“Yes, I don’t suppose you’d have very high expectations… were you ever locked in your cupboard or the bedroom for long periods of time?”

“Yes. I was locked in the cupboard whenever I did something wrong or sometimes when they just didn’t want me around. The summer after my first year at Hogwarts they put locks on the bedroom and bars on the window.”

“So if there was a fire, no escape…”

Harry shivered. He hadn’t ever even thought of that himself.

“They also installed a cat flap?”

“Yeah,” Harry mumbled.

“I see. What kind of chores did your relatives have you do?”

“Whatever needed to be done. Cooking, cleaning, yardwork. Anything, really.”

“Did your cousin ever participate in such activities?”

“No.”

“Did your aunt or uncle ever invoke physical punishment on you?”

He knew that they were there, watching him, and he tried his hardest not to look in their direction.

“Yes.”

“May I ask what they would do?”

His aunt was probably on the verge of hysteria, being tried in a freak court.

“Um, yeah. My aunt tried to hit me on the head with a frying pan a few times, my uncle just would hit me a lot in general.”

“Hit you hard enough to leave bruises?”

Don’t make eye contact, don’t make eye contact, don’t make eye contact.

“Yes.”

“Did he ever break bones?”

“Sort of. I mean, I don’t think he meant to but he would sometimes shove me into things and it just got a bit out of hand at times.”

Shit, I made eye contact.

“Did either your aunt or uncle ever see that you got medical attention for such instances?”

“No.”

There they were, glaring at him like never before. Reminding him that he was worthless, that his existence was a mistake, that he was nothing more than a burden and he would never, ever be loved.

“Do you feel that your guardians cared for you?”

But then he looked away from them and saw Snape and the Weasleys, even Mrs. Figg...

“No. They made an effort to remind me almost everyday. They made sure that I knew that I was unwanted in their home, in their lives. Just because my mother happened to be a witch… it was like I wasn’t a person, I wasn’t human to them. I’m not human to them.”

“I am sorry to hear that, Harry,” Flecy stated sincerely. “That concludes my questioning. Thank you for coopuration, you did well.”

Harry nodded. He almost breathed a sigh of relief, but he knew that the prosecution’s examination was the easy part. The defense wouldn’t be so kind.

“Would you like to cross-examine this witness, Mr. Rimen?” asked Judge Randolph.

“Why, yes, of course, your honor!” said the barrister excitedly. He hopped up from his chair and came to stand directly in front of Harry, blocking his view of everyone beyond him.

“Mr. Potter. May I call you Harry?” Mr. Rimen asked with a smile that definitely wasn't genuine.

“Uh, sure. That’s fine,” said Harry.

“Harry, then,” Mr. Rimen started, smile never faltering. “You stated that your aunt hit you on the head with a frying pan. Do you know the likelihood of your survival if that were true?”

“I did not say that she hit me, I said that she tried to hit me,” Harry corrected clearly.

“Ah. A what if scenario, then… is it true that you stated that your uncle never meant to break bones?”

Harry thought back on his words. He supposed that he had said that. “I suppose so, sir.”

“So you would say that those rare incidents were accidents?”

“No…”

“Could you explain how it is possible that a person did not mean to cause you harm, but yet did so intentionally?”

“He didn’t have to hit me in the first place, that wasn’t an accident. Then things wouldn’t have escalated.”

“Mmm… you said that these incidents occured when he would shove you into something, are you certain that you did not simply trip and stumble into things?”

“Yes, I am fairly certain that the hand causing me to fall was not an invisible force,” Harry returned sharply.

“If you say so… If it’s true that your relatives never seeked medical attention for your injuries, how did your broken bones manage to heal if you never had them set?”

“When I was younger, I could heal myself with accidental magic.”

“Ah. That seems likely. A very unusual talent…”

“Yes, well, not everyone can have the killing curse bounce off their forehead and live to tell the tale, now can they?” Harry deadpanned.

“Perhaps that was a lie as well.”

“Objection!” said Mr. Flecy. “Your Honor, this line of questioning has nothing to do with this case. The witness was not even old enough to recall the incident in which we are speaking of.”

“Sustained,” said Judge Randolph. “Mr. Rimen, you would do well to stick with the standard questions. The witness is a child.”

“Yes, and children tell lies,” Mr. Rimen muttered under his breath, but Harry could hear him. Did he really believe that Harry was lying? Did he truly think that the Dursleys were just lovely people?

Harry felt any and all traces of his nervousness seep away to be replaced by anger. He was not lying!

It wasn’t his fault, either, Snape had told him. It was still difficult to believe, but Harry wasn’t going to allow this stuffy barrister to tell him that it was his fault when it wasn’t. Harry didn’t choose to live there, Harry didn’t choose to be abused, Harry did nothing worthy of provoking abusive behavior. It was their fault.

“Harry,” Mr. Rimen started again, “are you certain that your relatives made you sleep in a cupboard? It is common for troubled children to seek a place for refuge. Perhaps you found it a nice place to hide and your relatives gave up on trying to correct this behavior?”

“I am certain that I did not choose to be locked in a cupboard for days on end, yes.”

“You said that you do not consider the bedroom you were given to be yours, yes?”

“I did.”

“Hmm. Is it true that you dislike your relatives?”

“Yes!”

“Is it because they are Muggles?”

“I, I-”

“Objection!” Mr. Flecy demanded again. “This line of questioning has absolutely nothing to do with this case!”

“Your Honor, sir!” Mr. Rimen interjected before Judge Randolph could speak. “This has everything to do with my case. The witness is prejudiced against Muggles, therefore could not possibly be truthful when making accusations against them!”

“I am not!” Harry broke in. “I couldn’t care less if they are Muggles or not!”

“Then why the hesitation?” Mr. Rimen retaliated.

“Because they happen to be the only Muggles I’ve spent time in close company with, and they haven’t exactly painted a perfect picture for me! But yet I still refuse to believe that all Muggles are bad simply because my relatives were horrible to me.”

“I think you have your answer, Mr. Rimen. Please, wrap up your questioning,” Judge Randolph said wearily.

“Very well. Harry, you say that your relatives did not care for you. Do you know all that goes into caring for a child? An unplanned child, at that? Finances, education, it can all be very stressful. It is not unreasonable to ask a child to help with a few chores.”

“I don’t know, sir,” Harry admitted. “All I know is that my guardians treated my cousin like royalty and they treated me like a peasant.”

“Children are often close-minded like that, yes. Thank you for answering my questions, Mr. Potter, that concludes my cross-examination.”

“Thank you for your time, Mr. Potter,” said Judge Randolph kindly, though he looked very tired. “Madam Bones, will you please escort the witness back to the waiting room for closing arguments?”

“Yes, Your Honor,” Madam Bones agreed. Harry kept his head down as he was led out of the courtroom, worried that he would find disappointment should he look at Snape’s face just then.

***

“All rise,” the courtroom Auror stated as Judge Randolph came back into the courtroom. He hadn’t deliberated long. “After hearing all the evidence, arguments and testimonies today, I have reached a verdict.”

Severus held his breath. This was it.

Judge Randolph looked around the courtroom solemnly. “These cases always sadden me. If an accusation of abuse is false, then one can still presume that the family does not get along. If it is true, then, well… It is quite terrible.

“Vernon and Petunia Dursley. The court finds you guilty on all charges.”

Severus blew out his breath.

Petunia screeched. “That horrible boy! He lied, he always lies!”

“Mr. Rimen, please contain your client,” Judge Randolph stated firmly.

“The sentencing is impending, but let it be known that I have no tolerance for child abuse,” the judge continued. “It is in my opinion one of the most heinous crimes imaginable. The effects it leaves on a victim are long-term, which is why I believe the punishment should be long-term.

“In Muggle courts, the standard highest sentencing would be five years. However, as you consciously made the decision to abuse a magical child, you are at the mercy of the wizarding courts, which are notably a bit more… harsh.

“Petunia Dursley, you severely neglected a child in your care, your own blood at that. Regardless of magical DNA, he is your nephew, your sister's child.

“Vernon Dursley, you took the neglect to another level. You found pleasure in the pain of a child.

“Both of you used the money granted for your nephew’s care for your own desires. You bullied and belittled, for all intents and purposes, your adoptive son day after day. We can only hope that your own son will not be treated so cruelly by his aunt, as she is now his guardian.

“Mr. Potter remains in the custody of an undisclosed guardian. I hope that both boys are loved and accepted in their new respective homes.

“Thank you everyone who provided their time and testimony for this trial. Court is adjourned.”

Severus felt smug satisfaction as he watched the Dursleys being handcuffed by the Auror. He couldn’t help himself, he approached Petunia before she was led away.

“Tuney,” Severus purred, “it is lovely to see you here today.”

“You! I should have known, you’ve always been around to ruin my life!”

“Me? I’d say the fault there lies with you. I’m not the one who committed crimes, Tuney. Well, I’ve been cleared of all charges, anyway… Child abuse, however, you will be glad to know I have never partaked in.”

“Why should I care?”

“Ah, I suppose you wouldn’t… Still, I simply wanted to assure you that Harry will be well cared for. He is in my custody, after all.”

“Yours! Why?!”

“Oh, haven’t you heard?” Severus leaned in close to whisper in her ear. “I’m his father.” He smirked at the horrified expression on her face as she was led away by the Auror. He almost wished he had a camera to capture the moment, but he felt that it would be embedded in his mind for quite some time.

“Severus?” Arthur came over, smiling at him knowingly. “Shall we go tell Harry the news?”

“Yes, of course.”

The three of them, Arthur, Molly and Severus, made their way out of the courtroom, stopping once to exchange pleasantries and thank Mrs. Figg and Madam Bones for their testimonies.

Severus rapped lightly on the waiting room door before entering.

Harry was laying on the couch flipping through a Quidditch magazine (schoolwork, indeed) he had brought with him. He sat up quickly and looked at the three of them apprehensively.

“Guilty,” Severus stated simply.

Harry took a deep breath. Then another. “Really?”

Severus sat down beside him and drew him into a tight embrace. “Yes.”

“Wow,” Harry breathed against his chest.

“You did so well, dear,” Molly said, patting him on the back.

“I was worried I messed it up,” said Harry, voice muffled.

“No, you did amazing, kiddo,” Arthur assured. “That barrister was off his rocker. He knew that he had no valid case.”

“Yeah,” Harry said, inconspicuously wiping his eyes under his glasses before breaking away from Severus. “Cool.”

Severus snorted. “Yes, very cool indeed.”

His company all laughed before Arthur glanced at his watch. “I’m cutting it close on the time I was given so I’d better get back to work. It’s been really great to see you though, Harry. I’m glad to see that you’re doing so well.”

Harry smiled. “Thank you, Mr. Weasley. For coming, and, and everything.”

“Of course.”

“Would you two like to come over for dinner tonight?” asked Molly.

Severus looked at Harry, who bit his lip before answering.

“No, thank you, Mrs. Weasley, I… I just think that I'd like to be home tonight.”

“I understand, dear,” Molly smiled warmly. “Hopefully we will see you again soon, maybe you’d like to come visit us this summer?”

Harry nodded enthusiastically. “Yes, ma’am, I would!”

“It’s a date, then,” Molly said, patting Harry’s cheek before departing the room with her husband.

Harry watched them go, his small smile seeming a little bittersweet.

“They love you as their own, you know,” said Severus.

“I know,” Harry said quietly. “But I’m not theirs. I’m yours.”

Severus raised his eyebrows. “There was a time when I thought that I’d never hear you admit as much.”

Harry closed his eyes, shaking his head a little. “Yeah, me too. But you've been here all the while, dealing with me no matter what a great pain I've been…”

“Pain is to remind us to stop doing what we’re doing.”

“Stop with the healer talk, Dad,” Harry laughed.

Severus felt his chest constrict and the two looked at one another for a moment.

“Is that okay?” Harry asked softly.

“Yes,” said Severus. “Of course it’s okay.”

Harry nodded. “Thanks… Dad. Can we go home now?”

“We most certainly can,” Severus said, standing and placing an arm around Harry as he did the same. They exited the Ministry the same way they came in, walking on the London sidewalks in the winter sunshine for a bit before apparating to Hogsmeade and trekking down the path that led to Hogwarts, to Severus’s (and Harry’s) quarters.

It was over, finally over… but it was also just beginning.
Chapter End Notes:
So at 2am this morning as I was falling asleep after spending my Saturday night writing the majority of this chapter, it occurred to me... why not just use truth serum? Well. After writing 5k words... I definitely wasn't going back on what I'd written so far. There are a lot of times in canon where I wondered why they didn't use it, so we’re going with a more entertaining route. Let’s just pretend that it’s illegal to use on Muggles and children. And Squibs. Or maybe it just doesn't work. And Severus and Madam Bones spoke with factual evidence. So it would be irrelevant.

I apologize for not updating last weekend, I really dreaded writing this chapter and just couldn't manage it. But it turned out to be the longest chapter I've ever written for a story by far, just over 8k words. I originally planned to open with Harry being cross-examined, so I definitely added a lot of context... I hope that you enjoyed it! The epilogue is in the works and will be shared with you soon.