Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Manna
Dear Sirius,

I hope that things are going well for you. I wish we’d had more time to get to know each other before you had to go to the recovery center, but Professor Lupin says you will be released soon and hopefully we will see each other sometime this summer. I know that you and my dad aren’t exactly fond of one another but maybe you’ll put your differences aside for me? I know that you were disappointed when I said that I wouldn’t come live with you, but it’s not that I wouldn’t want to. If I still lived with the Dursleys, I’m sure that I would have jumped at the chance. But now that Snape and I are getting along really well, I’m really excited to get to live with him this summer.

I know that you were kind of upset to find out that James isn’t my biological father, but I hope you know that he was still my dad. I don’t miss him any less now that Snape is in my life, in fact I feel really grateful for him taking me in and treating me as his own even though he knew that I wasn’t. That’s certainly more than the Dursleys could bear to even think about doing in regards to me.

I think that my life would have been really great if I had grown up with you, but I understand why that just couldn’t be and I hope you know that I’m not mad at you or anything like that. Hopefully you are still willing to be my godfather despite everything, because I’m really looking forward to being your godson.

Well wishes,
Harry


“So, Harry, do you have any plans for your room?”

Harry tucked the letter away in his pocket to send with Hedwig once they arrived at King’s Cross Station and nodded enthusiastically in response to Ron’s question. He had mentioned to his friends that Snape was allowing Harry to have free reign over his bedroom in their summer home. He was aware that he could probably easily get away with painting the room in red and golden stripes, but it would be the very first room that Harry could truly call his own and he didn’t really want to be quite so childish.

“Yes! I want to paint it blue, like a kind of light blue but not pastel… it’s my favorite color. I thought about hanging up pictures of the three of us as well,” Harry said, referring to Ron, Hermione and himself. He didn’t mention the stuffed lion he also planned to keep on display.

“Ooh Harry, that’s so sweet!” Hermione cooed. “I’ll have to send you some of my pictures I have at home, maybe you could ask your father to make copies of them? I would do so myself but we’re not allowed to do magic outside of school, of course.”

“Of course,” Harry responded, grinning at her fast paced speech. “I’ll ask him.”

“Still can’t believe you’re going to spend the whole summer with Snape. Not that I’m not happy for you,” said Ron, “but it’s just kind of bonkers to think about the end of this year versus the last.”

“I know,” said Harry. “If I stop to think about it, it is really weird.”

Harry never imagined that his father was someone other than who he had told it had been, and even if he did suspect someone other than James Potter, he most definitely would not have considered Severus Snape.

It was beyond upsetting at first, and even after his breakdown it didn’t all suddenly become okay, but they had both adjusted. In the past few months Harry had discovered that Snape was actually capable of caring for someone, even if that someone was Harry. It still didn’t make the way he had treated Harry in the past okay, but it did help to heal some wounds deep inside Harry’s soul. He was honestly really looking forward to spending the summer getting to know his dad.

“I’m sure you’ll have an amazing summer though,” said Hermione. “Maybe we’ll actually get to see each other this year!”

“Maybe,” replied Harry, though he wasn’t sure. Snape had recently become very tolerant of Harry’s friends, by Snape standards, anyway, but he still wasn’t sure if his father would want them around in the summer and Harry was still a little afraid to ask for such things. But then again, Snape did seem to be something like friends with the Weasleys so maybe he wouldn’t mind a visit or two to the Burrow.

The sort of friendship theory was proven as the train slowed to a stop, and Harry looked out the window to see Snape standing on the platform with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. The man was sporting his signature look of disdain, but there was a lightness shining in his onyx eyes as he waited for the students to exit the train. For his student to exit the train.

Harry grabbed his trunk and Hedwig’s cage and the trio shuffled through the crowded train towards the exit. Harry stepped off the train alongside his schoolmates and for once he did not dread to face who was waiting for him on the platform.

He had seen the man mere hours ago when he had departed from Hogwarts, but he still beamed as he approached him. There was a warm feeling growing inside Harry as he thought of an adult coming to the station just to pick him up and not thinking of it as an inconvenience.

“Hi, Dad,” Harry said quietly after he had greeted Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, the latter of whom had once again invited him to visit sometime that summer. Snape made no objection to the invitation, so maybe it would actually happen.

“Hello, Harry,” said Snape, the corners of his lips lifting just a smidge as he greeted his son.

The two said their goodbyes to the Weasleys and the Grangers before venturing towards the apparition point. Once out of the prying eyes of Muggles, Harry released Hedwig and sent her off with his letter to Sirius.

Snape shrunk Harry’s trunk and Hedwig’s cage before wrapping his hand around Harry’s arm, and just before the sickening feeling of apparating took over his senses once again, Harry thought back on leaving Hogwarts. For the first time it had not felt like he was leaving his home, as he was finally getting to go to a new kind of home, one where he was wanted and loved.
The End.
Chapter End Notes:
the end!?!? no way!

I never imagined the first fic I wrote being a biological father Severus fic, because there was a time not so long ago when I really didn't go for that sort of thing! This has been an absolute trip to write and I feel that I've learned so much while doing so. I'm so relieved to finally be completing this story and putting it behind me, but I'm also pretty proud of myself. I've been writing fanfic for about six years now, and this is the first time I feel like I have achieved something. I've always fancied myself a writer yet very rarely put in the effort to write. I'm very excited about my new works and I hope that you will check them out! They are of a bit of a darker element than this story and updates will be more sporadic, but they still feature Severitus/Sevitus as a prominent role. I'm pretty sure that I'm fairly incapable of reading or writing anything less than that at this point.

I want to say a special thanks to Cavehack and and Fmh, both of whom commented on almost every chapter of this fic since the beginning! Thank you everyone for your support, I know that I didn’t always respond to comments but I promise they meant a great deal to me! I was terrified to start posting to such a huge fandom and I can't believe the support I've gotten. Thank you for taking the time to read my mess of a story, you guys are the best!!