Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This Chapter: Visits from friends, Christmas decorating and shopping, and a bit of romance give this chapter a bit of a light-hearted feel.
Come Together

Snape pushed the Charms book and the letter from Ginny to the side and sat on Harry's bed.

“Harry, I don't want you to think you can't come talk to me. I know how guilty you feel about the potion. It wasn't your fault and I don't blame you for taking it. The temptation will always be there, but like that mark, it will fade over time. Don't let it take over and it won't,” said Snape softly.

“I'm trying,” said Harry. “I was afraid to talk to you, I thought--”

“I'm nothing like the Dursleys, Harry. If you need my help, just come to me, all right?” said Snape.

“Okay,” said Harry. Snape smiled reassuringly and glanced at the closed door.

“Now that we have that taken care of, you have a few visitors,” said Snape and waved his wand to open the door, revealing three Gryffindors. “I'll let the four of you visit.” He got up and left them alone.

Hermione was the first to rush over to him, hugging him tightly and apologizing profusely. “Oh God, Harry, I'm so sorry I didn't believe you.” Ron didn't hug him, but he stood awkwardly by, wringing his hands as he looked down at the floor and began mumbling his apologies with a red face.

Hermione finally released him and was replaced by Ginny, who quickly whispered, “I'm glad you're okay,” and then stepped back. Hermione's face was still shiny with tears. Ginny patted her shoulder reassuringly and smiled at Harry.

“It's all right, you guys,” said Harry. It was, really. He felt better after seeing the three of them. “Want to go see Snape's library?” he offered, knowing it would cheer Hermione up.

“He has a library?” she asked, tears momentarily forgotten.

“Yep,” said Harry and led his friends out of his room and down to the library.

“Wow,” Hermione breathed as she took in the large room. She took off towards the ‘D' section. Ron looked equally excited and horrified to be able to touch Snape's books.

“Go ahead. They don't bite, at least, I don't think they do,” invited Harry. Ron wandered towards the back, presumably to see if there were any Quidditch books. Ginny turned and looked Harry in the eyes.

“Are you all right?” she asked.

“Yeah,” said Harry. Ginny fixed him with a steely gaze.

“You're not really. Tell me the truth, Harry,” she said. Harry gently grabbed her arm, pulled her out of the library, and gently eased the door shut behind them. He leaned against the wall, feeling utterly broken again.

“No, I'm not all right. I see those two and I tell them I've forgiven them; my heart wants me to, but the rest of me is insisting that they could turn on me again at any moment.” He lowered his gaze to the floor and continued. “It's saying you could turn too. I don't want to believe it, but Ron and Hermione have been my best friends since first year and if they believed the worst of me, what's to stop you?”

He slid down to the floor and tugged at his hair. A gentle hand on his chin brought his face back up and he looked into the warm eyes of Ginny, who was now kneeling beside him.

“Voldemort,” said Ginny softly.

“What?” asked Harry in a choked voice.

“Voldemort is the reason I'll never turn on you. He messed with my head the same as he's doing to you. I know what you're feeling and I know that you're the only reason I'm alive today. I want to return the favor, but even more, I want to help ‘you.' I want to help the Harry that felt such despair when his godfather died that he could only deal with it by hurting himself, the Harry that could look past his old difficulties and accept Snape as his father, the Harry that poured out his heart to me in that secret room. I want to see the real Harry, not the Boy-Who-Lived. What you did as a baby is irrelevant now. You've done so much, and dealt with so much. I want you to see how perfect you can be.” Harry was stunned by Ginny.

“God, Ginny, you're so ‘open' with everything. How can you do it?” Harry choked out.

“I've had a family who helped me through it,” said Ginny.

“I don't--”

“No,” said Ginny. “You have Professor Snape. He is your family. And if you'll let us, Ron, Hermione, my entire family, Professor Lupin, the whole Order, we'll be your family too.” Harry closed his eyes, pained by Ginny's display.

“No, don't you dare retreat on me,” said Ginny forcefully. Harry opened his eyes again and saw that Ginny had shifted closer. “Harry, let us help you,” she said softly.

Harry could smell the light, flowery perfume she was wearing. He saw the light flush that had risen to her cheeks from her bold speech. He leaned closer himself and closed his eyes. Harry felt Ginny's warm lips on his.

Seconds later, they had separated themselves and were staring into each other's eyes. They quickly jumped apart when they heard a door open and looked to the library door, each trying to keep the guilty looks off their faces.

“What were you doing out here?” asked Ron.

“Nothing,” said Harry.

“Just talking,” added Ginny. Hermione gave them an odd look, but didn't comment.

“Harry, do you think your dad would let me borrow some--”

“One at a time, Miss Granger,” Snape's deep voice interrupted.

“Thank you, sir,” said Hermione happily. She darted back into the library and returned with a thick and dusty book.

“Excellent choice,” commented Snape. “Shall we adjourn to the dining room for tea?”

“Good idea,” said Harry. He and Snape led the way to the dining room with Hermione eagerly commenting on the architecture and decoration of the house. Ron walked along silently, listening to Hermione prattle on and Ginny stayed by Harry's side, though she too remained silent. Harry believed she was contemplating the kiss they'd shared.

In the dining room, Harry made sure to sit across from Ginny. A he sipped his tea he let his gaze wander to Ginny occasionally. The way she tilted her head made her fiery hair flint orange in the firelight. Soon, he realized he was openly staring at Ginny, but she was staring right back. That is, until she kicked him under the table.

Harry quickly masked the pain in his shin and took another sip of tea. Ginny gave a tiny, almost imperceptible shake of her head and quickly mouthed, ‘Not here.' Harry returned his attention to the conversation taking place around him.

A half hour of varied conversations later, and it was time for Harry's friends to leave. They took the Portkey after several tight hugs from Hermione and Ginny, who smiled quickly at him, and a handshake from Ron.

When they had vanished from sight, Harry turned to Snape and said, “There's some things I need to tell you.” Snape shook his head, his dark curtain of hair swaying about his face.

“I don't believe that will be necessary,” he said. Harry shook his head and closed his eyes.

“Did you… see… hear…” He trailed off awkwardly.

“Not intentionally,” said Snape. “It is good that you have someone you can confide in completely besides me. Ginny Weasley will be good for you.”

“You don't mind me telling her everything that's been happening?” asked Harry.

“Harry, I couldn't be happier that you're finally getting all this off your chest,” said Snape with a small smile. “You may have them over again, or just Ginny if you wish.” Harry grinned happily.

“Thanks,” he said.

“It is no problem. Now, I think you ought to finish unpacking,” said Snape.

“Yeah, I probably should,” said Harry and headed upstairs. The rest of his unpacking was quickly finished and Harry removed the Charms book from his bed and lay down. He closed his eyes and saw Ginny's face smiling softly at him. He smiled too and curled up on his side, letting himself relax into sleep. He stirred slightly when he felt a blanket dragged up over him, but quickly fell back into sleep.

He dreamed of following a laugh like bells and a shock of red hair through a forest.

“Catch me if you can, Harry!” came the lilting voice of Ginny. He ran faster, slowly gaining on the quick-footed girl. He caught up to her in a bright clearing lined with brilliantly colored flowers. He grabbed Ginny's arm and spun her around to face him.

“You caught me,” she said breathlessly.

“Do I get a prize?” asked Harry.

“Yeah, this--” Ginny threw her arms around his neck and kissed him quickly on the lips, then darted away again, laughing brightly.

The chase continued all night, and Harry woke feeling refreshed to sunlight streaming in the windows. Harry pushed the blanket that covered him back and climbed out of bed.

He felt rumpled from sleeping the whole night in his clothes, and quickly stripped them off in the bathroom and had a quick shower. With a towel about his waist and hair still dripping wet, he returned to his room and changed into clean clothes.

He wandered downstairs to the dining room and found Snape and breakfast waiting.

He dropped into a chair and said, “Good morning.”

“You seem to be in an especially good mood this morning,” commented Snape as he took the Daily Prophet from the delivery owl and paid for it.

“Yep,” said Harry and served himself eggs and toast.

“Hmm…” said Snape as his eyes roved over the front page of the newspaper.

“What?” asked Harry curiously.

“It is nothing,” said Snape nonchalantly.

“No, I want to know,” said Harry, his chipperness evaporating and replaced with insistent curiosity.

“The Dark Lord and a number of Death Eaters attacked near Diagon Alley last night,” said Snape.

“Did anyone get hurt?” asked Harry, cold dread sliding into his stomach.

“Just a few unnamed Muggles,” said Snape. Harry dropped his fork, unable to eat anymore.

“Don't you even think about blaming yourself, Harry. That's what he wants you to do,” said Snape.

“I won't,” promised Harry, but already he was feeling guilty. The longer Voldemort was on the loose, the more chaos and destruction he could create. “Can I be excused?” he asked.

“Hold on a minute,” said Snape as he folded the newspaper and Banished it somewhere, probably his office. “Why don't we do something together today? We could decorate the house.” Harry blinked.

“You have decorations?” he asked.

“Well, no, but I can conjure them,” said Snape.

“Sure,” said Harry, though his mind was still on the attack. Snape snapped his fingers and all the dishes and uneaten food vanished.

“Let's get started then, shall we?” said Snape. They walked up to the second floor. “We'll start here, since it's where we spend most of our time,” said Snape. He flicked his wand and several boxes appeared. Harry opened the box nearest him and found coils of green, red, and silver tinsel. “We can start with that. Just decided where you want it and I'll put it up,” said Snape.

Harry grinned and grabbed several coils. He had never been allowed to do this at the Dursleys' house. He started unrolling a red one and had Snape stick it to the ceiling. He then zigzagged back and forth, letting loops dangle down. Strangely, no matter how far he went with one coil, it never seemed to run out until he stopped using it and changed colors.

Nearly half an hour later, he had the entire ceiling of the hall covered in long loops of tinsel. He dropped the remainder of the tinsel back in the box and opened another. This one had strange shapes made of shiny plastic. Harry lifted out a handful and saw stars, moons, wands, and various other shapes.

“What's this for?” he asked.

“Stay down,” advised Snape and waved his wand. Harry stared in awe as the shiny objects flew into the air and attached themselves to the tinsel, creating a glittery wonderland.

The remaining box held fluffy fake snow. Harry scattered this in handfuls along the walls rather than let Snape do it magically.

“Very creative, Harry,” said Snape and hovered the boxes by the stairs. “We can do the staircase now.”

Harry spent quite a bit of time winding the tinsel around the stairs, then scattered snow all over, and finally allowed Snape to magic the glittery things everywhere.

The downstairs hallway was decorated the same as the upper hallway, and then they moved on to the rooms.

Harry's room was first, and he had fun putting tinsel and snow everywhere. With his room decorated, Harry insisted on doing Snape's office too.

“No snow,” said Snape. “I don't need it in any potions.”

“'Kay,” said Harry and compromised by flinging tinsel everywhere. Snape also refused to put any of the shapes in his office. He also refused to let Harry do his bedroom.

“Now, I believe we only have the dining room and living room to do,” said Snape.

They went back downstairs and into the dining room. Harry had that room decorated quickly and followed Snape over to the living room, where a tree that put the twelve trees that Hogwarts had to shame surprised

him.

Several more boxes were next to the tree, and Harry eagerly abandoned the ones he had been using in favor of the new ones. He found various decorations for the tree.

“How are we supposed to get all of these on the tree?” asked Harry.

“Just put up all the ones you can, and I'll do the rest,” said Snape.

Harry collected more strands of tinsel and draped them around the tree. He then hung icicles and brightly colored baubles on the branches. Everything was hung as far as he could reach, then Snape magicked the rest onto the tree. Then, with a flick of his wand, the shimmery cut-outs cascaded over the tree and candles balanced delicately on the branches. Snape left the candles unlit.

“Why aren't you lighting the candles?” he asked curiously.

“We'll light those on Christmas Eve,” said Snape and handed Harry a pile of the tiny white candles in gold holders and instructed him to put them around the room while he put up the rest of the decorations.

In minutes, they were both finished and Snape said, “We can light these candles.” He lit one of the candles and instructed Harry to light the rest of them.

“This is an old tradition, having the child of the family light the candles of the room that Saint Nicholas is to come to. The candles are enchanted to stay lit until dawn breaks on Christmas Day,” explained Snape.

Harry carefully finished his task and moved to stand beside Snape with the candle still in his hand. He held it out to Snape, but the man said, “That's to go in your room.”

“Are there any more traditions I don't know about?” asked Harry.

“Just a few more, but we'll get to those when the time comes for them. Now go put that in your room and get your cloak and your vault key,” said Snape.

Harry hurried upstairs and set the candle on the table by his bed and got his cloak out of his closet. He found the tiny key at the bottom of his nearly empty trunk and went back downstairs where he saw Snape with a cloak on and a jar of Floo powder.

“We'll be Floo'ing to the Weasley twins' shop,” said Snape as he held the jar out to Harry. He grabbed a handful and flung it into the fireplace.

“Number Ninety-Three, Diagon Alley!” he called and was whirled through the Floo Network, finally stumbling out into the most insane place Harry had ever seen. The shop was even crazier than Zonko's, and that was certainly saying something. The twins seemed to have outdone themselves for once with their shop.

Harry cautiously walked through an aisle and nearly walked into one of the twins, who was kneeling beside a large box, mumbling, “I know I put it here somewhere…”

“George, I found the--Harry, you're here!” George hurriedly stood up, grabbed Harry's arm, and led him over to Fred, who was holding several brightly colored boxes.

“All right, I think he should be good if we give him two of these, and one of those, and maybe one of this…”

“What are you talking about?” asked Harry confusedly.

“They're fixing up our disguises,” said Snape unexpectedly from behind them.

“Here you go, Harry,” said one of the twins and held out a handful of various colored candies.

“And for you, sir,” said the other twin, holding out a handful to Snape. Harry glanced suspiciously at the candies, but put them in his mouth. They tasted sweet, but with a hint of fruit. Once he'd swallowed them, he felt a strange tingling sensation all over his body.

“Excellent,” said one of the twins and held out a mirror. Harry took it and was surprised to see himself fair-haired and fair-skinned, with hair that brushed his eyebrows, completely covering his scar.

“I look like Malfoy,” he complained. One of the twins handed him another candy. After eating it, his hair darkened to a more natural hue.

“Creepy,” he said.

“It's our newest product, though we aren't selling it yet, since we don't have a name for it and are still in the process of testing it,” said one twin.

“It seems to be working perfectly,” said the other.

“It should work for about six hours,” said the first twin.

“Good, we'll be back in a few hours then,” said Snape and gingerly made his way out of the shop. When they were well away from the shop, Snape said, “Thos two are very disturbing, but quite useful.”

“Yeah,” said Harry. “So, where are we going first?” he asked.

“Gringotts, then you can do your shopping by yourself. I have a bit of shopping to do myself. We will meet back at the twins' shop in two hours,” said Snape.

The trip down to his vault was quick, and Harry and Snape went separate ways. Harry first went to the stationary shop, where he bought Hermione a new set of elegant eagle-feather quills and various colored parchment. Ron's gift was also easy; Harry got him a large collection of sweets. Ginny he had already gotten a present for, so that left only Snape.

What could he possibly get for Snape? He chewed on his bottom lip as he turned in a slow circle. He grinned as he spotted a tiny shop with all sorts of glass bottles in its window.

Inside the shop, he collected a variety of fancy bottles and took them up to the front to pay for them. The shopkeeper gave him a strange, piercing look as he bagged the bottles. Harry shrugged off his feeling of unease and left.

After leaving the shop, he got some more sweets for the rest of his friends, and then wandered down the Alley, looking for a place to buy wrapping paper.

He finally found another little shop that sold wizarding wrapping paper. He picked out some that was sparkling silver with gold stars that blinked away and back randomly. He also picked out some striped paper that changed randomly every minute.

After completing his purchases, Harry walked back down to the Weasley twins' shop. He found Snape waiting inside, staring distastefully at a towering stack of Skiving Snackboxes.

“Harry, if you wish to purchase any of these products, do be sure and tell me so I don't look and see what sorts of insanity you plan to get into,” said Snape. “I'd rather you not get into mischief, but I can't stop you.”

“I dunno,” said Harry. “I don't even know what half this stuff is for.” Suddenly, he was grabbed by both arms and dragged forward.

“Allow us to show you the marvels of our humble shop,” said one twin.

“As you can see, here are our Skiving Snackboxes…”

“We've got several new varieties now…”

“And here's…”

The amount of products the twins had created was endless. Harry got a few packs of “Spine-tingling Shock-tarts” and “Flaming Fudge,” which covered your hair with the illusion that it was on fire.

“We'll send you some samples!” called a twin as they Floo'ed away.

Back at the house, Harry and Snape separated again, Harry to go wrap the presents, and Snape to probably do the same. Once in his room with the door closed, Harry set his purchases on his bed, got out a roll of Spell-o-Tape and his present for Ginny, and set about wrapping them. He did a decent job wrapping the presents for his friends, but the potion bottles proved to be a bit trickier. He frowned at the bottles and wrapping paper, then he suddenly got an idea.

He covered the bottles with a bit of paper, then jumped up and opened the door just enough to call out, “Dad!”

Snape came over to his door and asked, “What do you need?”

“I need some things spelled unbreakable, but you can't look. Can you do that?” asked Harry.

“Yes, you'll just have to let me in there so I can spell them,” said Snape and closed his eyes.

“No peeking,” said Harry as he grabbed Snape's hand and pulled him over to the bed. Snape took out his wand.

“Just touch my wand to all the things you need charmed,” he said.

Harry quickly uncovered the bottles and laid them out in a row, then directed Snape's wand to each one in turn as Snape incanted softly in Latin.

When he was done, Harry covered the bottles up again and said, “You can look now.” Snape opened his eyes and went back out.

“Just call if you need me again,” he said before shutting the door.

“Thanks,” said Harry and returned to the bottles. He carefully piled them on top of a large piece of paper and wrapped it around, then Spell-o-taped the entire package thoroughly. He had just hidden everything in the bottom of his trunk when he heard a knock on his door.

“Come in!” he called as he shut the lid.

“It's lunchtime,” said Snape as he opened the door.

“Okay,” said Harry and followed Snape downstairs. They had a quick lunch, then Harry wandered upstairs to his room. His schoolbooks failed to hold his attention, so he went to the library to see if he could find some alternate reading material.

Harry picked out what looked to be a children's storybook. He returned to his room with the book and settled down on his bed with it. It turned out that the book was a collection of Wizarding fairy tales.

He started reading one about a little boy who had seen a unicorn. It was interesting enough, but the morning's activities had worn him out and he quickly found his eyes crossing and uncrossing as he attempted to continue reading.

His effort was to no avail, and he found himself dreaming of chasing Ginny again, only this time she was flying along on the back on a silver unicorn. He woke to Snape gently shaking his shoulder.

“What?” he asked groggily.

“It is time for dinner,” said Snape.

“'Kay. I'm up,” he replied as he sat up slowly.

“Be downstairs in ten minutes,” said Snape. Harry heard the door click shut and closed his eyes again. He would rest his eyes for only a minute… Maybe it would make the room stop spinning…

He woke up again with a cool hand on his forehead. He blinked his eyes opened and saw Snape looking concerned.

“What?” he asked as he brushed Snape's hand off his forehead with a heavy hand. He felt sick and disoriented, like he had just drunk a strong sleeping potion.

“Harry, are you feeling all right?” asked Snape.

“No,” he admitted as he shook his head lightly. The motion only made him feel sicker.

Snape frowned and said, “Perhaps you have a touch of the flu. I will go and get you some potions.”

Chapter End Notes:

I've created a Harry Potter forum for people to chat in. Visit us at: http://s12.invisionfree.com/Harry_Potter_World/index.php?act=idx

Next Chapter: Chapter 22: Christmas at Snape Manor