Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A good day
“Harry, what are you doing here?”

The voice came from somewhere over his head, but to the boy, still half asleep, it sounded far away.

“Harry?” The voice repeated. “Did something happen?”

The tone of concern finally woke him up and made him open his eyes. The sunlight streaming in from the window dazzled him and caused him to close them again immediately.

“Ron? What...?”

“I asked you if something had happened. To Snape, I mean. You slept here instead of in the infirmary. And you didn't wake us up so we could go in your place.”

“Oh...” Harry sat up slowly, trying to keep the cold air out of the sheets.

Ron and Hermione stood beside him, looking at him with curiosity and a hint of nervousness. That set Harry's brain in motion, causing images of the previous day to flood his mind.

“Actually, something did happen.” He said, smiling. “He woke up. I didn't tell you because it happened in the middle of the night, and you guys needed to rest. But yes, he woke up.” He repeated, and his smile widened.

“Oh! That's very good news!” Hermione said, smiling. “I'm so happy for that, I really am.”

She had seated on the bed, next to Harry, and the boy could see her eyes sparkling.

“It is great news.” Agreed Ron, with a big smile. “Brilliant, I would say.” He had been waiting to hear that Snape had woken up since the moment he had found him laying in the Shrieking Shack. “So, how is he feeling? Is he all right?”

Harry nodded, moved by his friends’ reaction.

“Well, tell us what happened. Did you talk to him?”

“Yes, I spoke to him. Although I'm not quite sure if it went well or not…”

He began to explain what happened, while his friends listened in silence.

“... and well, that's all there was to it. It was late and he needed his rest. What do you think?”

Ron was quiet for a few moments, putting his thoughts in order.

“Considering this is Snape we're talking about,” he said finally, “I think the conversation could have gone a lot worse.”

That made Harry smile.

“Yeah, you're right.”

“I usually am.” Ron teased him. “But seriously, don't worry if it wasn't the perfect reunion. We all know what Snape's like... And I don't think living through a war has made him any nicer.”

Hermione nodded.

“I agree with Ron. Besides, it was only the first conversation. Give it time.”

“Exactly.” Ron continued, confidently. “Just think that being bitten by a snake isn't a very pleasant experience. I'm sure his wounds were still hurting, and he was feeling a bit lost. Try going again today and you'll see how it goes well.”

Harry felt better after hearing those words.

“Thank you” He said genuinely. “Actually, I'd already thought about going again: Madam Pomfrey said I could do it after lunch. So, I hope you're right and everything goes better this time.”

“As I said,” Ron reminded him with a smile, “I usually am.”

Harry rolled his eyes at him, but the smirk stayed on his face.

“Now, can we get dressed and go have breakfast? My guts are growling.”

Hermione put up an arm like she used to do in class when she wanted to say something.

“I was actually thinking of going to Hagrid's.” She told them. “Would you like to have breakfast there?

“Hermione.” Ron looked at her in horror. “Have you forgotten his cakes that feel and taste like stone? We can't eat anything he cooks.”

“Of course, we can't” She said, like it was obvious. “Hagrid told me yesterday that he'd fixed up his hut and wanted to show it to us. My plan was to grab a couple of sandwiches from the kitchens before we went and eat them there.”

Ron weighed those words, remembering that Hagrid's house had been destroyed during the battle.

“Okay, sounds good. But let's make it more than just a couple of sandwiches, eh?”

Smiling at his friend's appetite, Harry finally got out of bed.

“That sounds like a great idea,” he said as he did so, “but I've got to take a shower. Meet me in the kitchens in twenty minutes?”

He began searching through his chest, trying to find all the clothes that he needed.

“Perfect. But make sure you take a jacket.” Hermione suggested, looking out of the window. “Even if it's sunny it's still cold.”

“Yes, you're right, thank you.” Harry picked up a coat from the bottom of the chest and turned around to face his friends. “Right, I think I've got everything. See you in a bit in the kitchens. Don't be late!”


After twenty minutes, already dressed and with his hair still damp, Harry joined his friends in the Hogwarts kitchens. He remembered how strange it had felt the first time he had entered them after the Battle: something as normal as the bubbling pots and the boiling of the oil felt out of place in the middle of the silent, shattered castle. Still, the survivors had needed to recover from the fighting and eat something urgently after the effort and energies expended during the battle. So, the house elves had quickly returned to the kitchens and had set to work to provide the food that everyone required.

Since then, Harry couldn't help but feel a rush of pain every time he watched them, remembering Dobby and all that his friend had done for him. If the war had ended well, it was largely thanks to the brave house elf.

“Do you want these from here?”

Ron's voice brought him out of his thoughts.

“Uh?”

“The sandwiches, Harry. Would you like these ones here?”

His gaze fell on the tray Ron was pointing to. On it there were some ham and cheese sandwiches. They looked and smelled amazing, and his stomach growled at the sight of them.

“I'll take that as a yes.” Smiled Ron, taking and putting them in a paper bag that already contained his and Hermione's.

Harry wondered where she had gone, since he didn’t remember her leaving. Before he could ask Ron, though, he looked around and saw her.

“Would you like something sweet as well?” Hermione asked them, showing them what she had been carrying in her hands. “I found these chocolate muffins. They look good.”

“They look more than good!” Nodded Ron appreciatively, looking at the little pieces of chocolate on top of the muffin. “Would you like one, Harry?”

“Uh? Yeah, yeah, they are okay.”

Ron and Hermione exchanged a look.

“Is something wrong?” She asked. “You've been distracted since we came in.”

“No, nothing's wrong.” Harry lied, biting his lip. “It's just... I was thinking about Dobby. I can almost see him there, with the other elves.”

That caused Hermione to lower her head with sadness and Ron to get closer to Harry, putting a hand on his shoulder.

“It will probably happen to us for a while.” He said, his eyes filled with pain. “And not just with Dobby, but with the others as well. There are days when I keep seeing Fred out of the corner of my eye.” He admitted. “I know it sounds strange, but it's comforting. It's like a part of them is still here.”

Those words made Harry think of the Resurrection Stone. He had been able to see his parents, Sirius, and Remus, one last time. Even got to say goodbye to them. But Ron hadn't had that small comfort and, for a moment, he was tempted to tell him about it. He knew the stone was in the middle of the Forbidden Forest, near the place where he had given himself to Voldemort, ready to die. If he wanted to, it would not be too difficult to find it again. But he wasn't sure if that was a good idea. It might be unfair and even cruel, but Ron had never been known for his mental fortitude and Harry didn't want to risk losing him in the pale reflection of his loved ones.

So, instead, he swallowed and nodded slowly.

“I understand what you're saying. It's sad, but it helps in a way.”

“It happens to me too.” Hermione confessed. “The other day, one of those healers from St. Mungo's passed by me, the one with the pink hair. My mind automatically flashed back to Tonks, and I swear I could see her face in that girl's for a couple of seconds.”

“Merlin...” Ron ran his hand over his face. “We're a mess. Good thing we can at least understand each other.”

“That's true.” Said Hermione, the sadness in her eyes replaced by affection. Knowing that the others went through the same things as her helped a lot.

Harry watched them, still thinking about Dobby, but feeling a little better. Ron caught his gaze and gave a hint of a smile.

“Come on, cheer up, Harry. I don't feel like being sad today. I've had enough of it.” He said with determination, pushing away all the depressing thoughts that had being going through his mind. “Let's stop thinking about these things and enjoy the day. It's sunny and we have good food for breakfast.”

Hermione put the muffins inside the bag and nodded.

“I think you are right, Ron. I’m tired of feeling sad all the time too. So a bit of happiness and optimism would be nice.”

He smiled at her.

“I'm glad. Because you'll see: today will be a good day.” He turned to face Harry, who had been looking at them without saying a word. “What do you think?”

The boy could see the effort his friends were making, trying to boost their morale, and decided to not disagree with them. After all, if anyone deserved a bit of happiness, it was the three of them. Perhaps, for now, they could only get obtain it that way: by not letting sadness win for a few hours and by stubbornly trying to find joy wherever it hid. But Harry hoped that in time it would get easier.

So, he nodded and gave a small smile.

“All right.” He said. “Let's have a good day.”
Chapter End Notes:
I know this chapter is a bit shorter than the other ones but the next one will be longer, I promise :)
Please let me know if there are any mistakes, the characters don't feel like themselves or just your thoughts about the fanfic so far. I'd love to hear about them :D
Anyway, that would be all. Thanks for reading and I hope you have a good day!