Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Dear Future Me

‘Dear future me, This is past you from before December.' Harry snorted as he stared down at the letter the Headmaster had told him to write to himself. School was ending tomorrow and as promised the Headmaster had given the letter back to Harry. He could tell his guardians hadn't read it, because the wax seal had been unbroken until Harry had opened it. It felt just as weird to be reading a letter he'd written to himself months before as it had then writing a letter to himself.

‘I've been told I have to do better in at least one subject. I guess it will be Transfiguration. I hope you won't be mad at me by the end of the school year. I'll have to work hard to make sure you aren't.' Harry was glad that he'd kept this promise to himself to raise his grades. He'd not only raised his Transfiguration grade, but his Charms grade as well. It was long hours of work, and it meant many missed games of chess with Ron, but it had also meant getting to go to a Quidditch match with his father, and being rewarded with books where Fae were the heroes. Harry had read all of those books they'd gotten at the Muggle bookstore, and had even re-read one of them. Ron often grouched that Harry was becoming a bookworm like Hermione, but when Harry described some of the adventure novels he was reading, Ron had read one and declared it wasn't such a bad way to spend time, so long as Harry didn't forget to make time for chess and exploding snap with him.

‘They said they were taking me to the Ministry next weekend to be adopted. That'll make it official I guess. I'll be part of a real family. I hope by the end of the school year I still have a real family. I hope it means when I mess something up, they're still right here with me. I hope by the end of the school year you're looking forward to the summer and not dreading being sent back to the Dursleys or somewhere else.' Harry still hoped for some of these things. He was looking forward to starting summer with his new guardians, and through many of his mistakes they had stood by him. He only hoped that would continue.

‘I hope it means the Headmaster will take you out on weekends to get tea in that tea shop on Knockturn or will still want you around to have meals with him. Maybe Snape will take you on Holiday again with the orphanage.' Harry wanted both of these things and made a mental note to ask his guardians if they could make plans for the summer. Harry had been so busy in the last month and a half of school that he hadn't given too much thought to summer other than that he was looking forward to it for the first time in his remembrance.

‘By the end of the school year I want to have a patronus down. I'm still working on a good enough memory. I have some new ones I'll have to try. Hopefully by the end of the school year I won't be fighting the Ministry anymore.' Harry felt particularly proud of himself for having gotten the Patronus down. After the incident over Easter hols he had every confidence that should he need Prongs With Bells On, he'd show up and keep Harry safe.

He wasn't entirely certain if he was still fighting with the Ministry or not. The Minister had kept his word and sent a document to Harry to sign stating he would drop the suit if MOBA dropped their fines. Once Harry had signed that and sent a copy off to Silver, Silver had contacted the other businesses that had stood with Harry and they had signed the document as well. Harry hoped this meant an end to fighting with the Ministry, but his father and grandfather didn't believe this to be the case. For now Harry was trying not to think about it and hoping that he could get through the summer without any court cases, fines from MOBA, or other run-ins with the Minister of Magic or other Ministry officials (especially if it meant them coming to check him for signs of being Fae).

‘When I ran away, I didn't find Sirius. He didn't come for me. But the Headmaster and Snape did. No one does that. I don't know if by the end of the school year you'll hear from Sirius or see him again, and by the time all the time has passed between this letter and you getting it, I don't know if you'll still want to see him again.' Harry did still want to see Sirius again. He wanted to make sure Sirius was safe and thank him for all he'd done for him over the summer. Harry still missed him, particularly after a bad nightmare, though the thought that Sirius never came for him after he left Diagon Alley didn't sting as much as it had before. Now when he had bad nightmares he had a father who stuck his head in his bedroom door to check on him, or to make him tea in the middle of the night and let him just sit and think for a while. And Harry had a grandfather that had come for him, and who wasn't upset with him for running away. His father was still a little wary of Harry running away, but Harry had been working hard to earn back his trust and hoped he had it again so he could have a little freedom over the summer.

‘Oh yeah, and I hope by the end of the school year you earned back all of the 125 points you lost running away. I promised Professor McGonagall I would. It would have been easy with Quidditch because I could have earned points catching the Snitch, but now I'm going to have to work hard in classes to get them back. Hermione could do it. She'd probably get them earned by Christmas. I guess it means I can do it too, even if it takes me til' the end of the year.' Quidditch had been banned all year because of the Dementors, but since they had been removed from school grounds Dumbledore had cancelled classes for the last two days of school and organized a Quidditch tournament between the four houses. They'd had very little practice, but everyone had been excited to get out and play in the warm sunlight after being locked away in the castle all year. It had been an all day event both days, and lunch had been served in a big tent just outside the Quidditch pitch both days. The Headmaster had only given the teams five days' notice that they would be playing at the end of the last week of school, and they'd spent what little free time they had practicing. It had been just enough time for Harry to contact Basil and Bennet and get them to come out to the tournament Friday and Saturday to sell books (all of them focused on Quidditch and flying), and to get Gerrin Honeyduke out to sell popcorn and other goodies. Over the course of the weekend tournament, each team played three games so they could play all of the other houses. As would happen with normal tournaments the points earned went to each house, and Harry was able to earn back all the points he'd lost by running away before Christmas.

Friday had started with Gryffindor versus Slytherin. Gryffindor had won by only twenty points. Then Ravenclaw had played Hufflepuff, they'd broken for lunch, and Ravenclaw played Slytherin. Slytherin had won that match by a huge margin. After the three teams had played, the pitch was opened to anyone who wanted to fly, and several of the players from different teams ended up giving impromptu lessons to kids who wanted to learn but weren't on a team.

Saturday started with Hufflepuff versus Slytherin. Then Gryffindor played two games in a row, one against Ravenclaw, and the last against Hufflepuff. Some of the younger students were running in to the Great Hall after every match to count points in the hour glasses and coming back to the Pitch to report on who was ahead.

There was a final match that evening between the two teams who had earned the most points over the two days, which turned out to be Gryffindor and Slytherin. Slytherin won by ten points, but Harry wasn't disappointed. He'd had so much fun over the two day tournament and was just glad to be outside with his friends. Draco didn't even gloat that he'd taken the Snitch before Harry. He hadn't said anything nice either, but Harry counted that as a win for the time being.

Feeling tired from his matches earlier that day, Harry lay in bed staring at the letter and remembering everything he'd been through since he'd written it... remembering all the hopes and worries that he'd poured into it. His eyes moved down to the last part. ‘Aside from my friends, and Mrs. Ginger, I never really got hugged before. But now Snape hugged me once and the Headmaster too. I hope by the end of the school year you get hugged more. I hope you feel wanted.' Harry smiled and thought on his father hugging him protectively after the Aurors had slammed him against the wall in the Headmaster's office. He'd hugged him again after the incident with the Dementors over Easter. The Headmaster had hugged him at Christmas and a few more times since then. Harry didn't have to hope anymore because he felt decidedly loved and wanted.