Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
This is the first story I wrote that I really could call Fanfiction, it's certainly the first idea I had that I thought I could actually turn into a workable story. In spite of many edits and my naturally clumsy and disjointed style of writing that is common with all my stories, it's still one of my favourites of the ones I've written so with that being said here's the first long chapter, hope you enjoy.
Chapter 1
A young boy called Severus Snape is curled up in a ball in his bedroom, he's recently come home from his first year at Hogwarts, it has been a long summer and he is counting down the days till he can escape back to Hogwarts. His father has come home drunk again and in a foul temper, intent on taking out his anger on his young son. He manages to flee upstairs and flings himself behind his bed. He hears heavy footsteps on the stairs as he tries not to whimper or think about the painful sting where the belt's connected with his back, leaving it raw and bleeding. He doesn't believe in God, not really but, at this moment he prays silently to God, to Merlin, anyone who will listen to please save him to take him somewhere, anywhere safe.

Meanwhile far away, a young man called Harry Potter has recently returned to Hogwarts for his 6th year and is trying to relax in his dorm reading a book to distract himself from the events of the past summer when he's startled by a sudden loud crack and a cloud of smoke next to his bed. "What the?!" he exclaims in shock, jumping out of his skin and almost dropping his book. Wearily he looks around the still empty dorm before cautiously peering over the edge of his bed.

There's something there, his first impression is that it's a small black bundle of clothes on the floor but, as he looks closer he can hear sounds coming from the pile and he realises it's a small child with dark clothes and hair, clearly distressed and curled into a ball. He jumps quietly off the bed kneeling next to the boy, his face is hidden but he can hear him sobbing now.

"Hey it's ok you're safe" he says softly, putting a hand on his thin trembling shoulder, noting how he reacts fearfully to the light touch he tries to reassure him and encourage him to sit up "what's your name kid?" lifting his chin gently to get a better look at his face.

"Snape!" he exclaims in shock, startling them both as he recoils from him, eyes wide with shock and horror at seeing the familiar features on the small boy's pale thin face, unsure what to make of him. A million questions run through his head, what's happened, has he deaged himself, why's he here in his dorm?

The boy's head snaps up at the mention of his name looking puzzled. He wipes his eyes pushing his long dark hair out of his eyes, his fears and misery were temporarily forgotten. "That's right, I'm Snape, Severus Snape, wait how did you know that?" he says, familiar black eyes narrowing with suspicion.

Harry panicked realising he's in over his head, he tries in vain to think of something convincing to say running a hand absently through his hair "oh uh well you kind of remind me of someone I know who is called Snape'' he says trying to smile for the boy.

"Oh ok." he said uncertainly looking up and properly examining his surroundings. His eyes grow wide with panic as his gaze falls on one of the nearby red four-poster beds and he realises that he's found himself in the Gryffindor dorm, enemy territory.

This wasn't what he imagined when he'd been wishing to be safe. He'd been thinking of Lily's house or perhaps the park or the local library which had all become a kind of refuge for him when life at home had become too much to cope with. That wasn't to say that Hogwarts wasn't somewhere that he felt safe but even the bravest Slytherins valued their life enough to know that you didn't step foot inside the Lion's Den unless you had a death wish, it was just one of those unwritten unspoken rules and right now he wasn't sure who he'd rather take his chances with.

He takes in the room feeling caught between fascination and the increasingly insistent need to flee before his gaze fixed nervously back on Harry taking in the older boy properly, dark messy hair and glasses, just like ..."Potter! Please don't hurt me" he stammers "I swear I didn't mean to end up here!" he gulps holding his hands up in front of his face to shield himself and tries to back away.

Harry stares in confusion at the terrified boy cowering away from him, his eyes wide with fear baffled until it hits him. He slaps his hand to his face as realisation dawns.

Whatever's happened this child is not his potions teacher right now he's just a scared young kid. A scared kid who has just found himself in the proverbial Lion's Den and face to face with a boy who is the spitting image of his Father as a 6th year, the boy who by all accounts made his life miserable. No wonder he's terrified he probably thinks I'm going to beat him within an inch of his life he realises.

Holding up his hands he tries to speak softly and appear non-threatening, noting the boy flinching away "hey it's ok, I'm not going to hurt you, I promise, I'm not who you think."

Severus looks at him through his hands "you swear you won't hurt me?" he asks nervously. "You're not going to try and turn my robes into bat wings or lock me in Filch's cupboard?"

"No" Harry answers in shock, thinking of his childhood locked in a cupboard and wondering just what his father and his friends did to him "I'd never do anything like that. I swear I'm not like that other kid" he insists trying to reassure him.

Peeking out cautiously and lowering his hands slightly, he asks warily "but, you're related to him, right? I mean you look just like him so I assumed" he trailed off.

"Yeah you could say that" Harry says uncomfortably, deciding he may as well be honest "I'm Harry, Harry Potter"

"Oh so you do know him, James Potter that is?" he asks, cocking his head curiously.

"No I don't know him" he sighs sadly "but, I've heard a lot about him and he sounded like he was an arrogant bully at times" he says with a grimace, not enjoying the conversation as he recalls viewing his Professor's memories.

The boy takes this all in looking confused, he relaxes on hearing the last part "yeah you could say that he's a big bully, him and his gang are always hexing people for no reason" he huffs angrily "I'm just glad you're not like him" he says shyly twiddling his fingers and risking looking up, gauging the older boy's reaction, he smiles shyly at him when he sees that he's still calm.

Harry smiles back, adjusting himself to sit down near him and putting a hand out. He pauses, allowing it to hover above his shoulder for a moment so he can see what he's about to do before placing his hand gently on his shoulder. He still flinches, instinctively squeezing his eyes shut, he's clearly unused to positive physical contact but doesn't try to move away, opening an eye and relaxing when he realises that he's really not going to be struck.

He leans into the contact looking up to test his reaction. Seeing that he remains calm he relaxes slightly, looking thoughtful and sad "I don't have many friends. Well except for Lily, she's my best friend" he admits before sighing and sagging his shoulders.

"Don't you have any friends in your own house?" Harry asks, frowning in concern.

He shrugs "not really, some of them are alright I guess but most of them think I'm odd, it'd be even worse if they knew I grew up with muggles. They don't approve of me hanging around with Lily because she's a muggleborn and they're purebloods they think that we Slytherins shouldn't hang around with her kind" "even though she's much kinder and smarter than them" he mutters "some of the boys like hexing the muggleborns, sometimes they let me hang around with them"

"Oh, and what do you think?" Harry asks curiously.

"Doesn't matter what I think does it" he replies sounding annoyed but resigned "rule number 1 in Slytherin is to survive and surviving means fitting in and not looking weak. You learn to make allies not enemies even if you don't agree with what they believe in"

He ponders this thinking how different life in Slytherin seems from the friendly comradery in Gryffindor, it certainly would fit in with what he's seen of the Slytherins "and what does Lily think of all this?"

"She doesn't like me hanging out with those boys, she says they're evil even though they're the only ones who'll give me the time of day. I've tried to explain but she doesn't get that I have to act a certain way around the other Slytherins. She says I should try to make friends from the other houses or hang out with her friends"

He speaks more softly, desperately "she doesn't understand how difficult it is" there's a pause "making friends. I've seen the way her friends and the other students look at me, just like the kids back home like I'm disgusting. Then there's Potter and Black. I don't understand why he's so fixated on me, I can't go anywhere without him and his cronies making some cruel jokes or trying to attack me making me a laughing stock"

Harry notices tears rolling down his cheek and reaches out to comfort him and he moves closer, looking up for reassurance before seeking comfort from the older boy who cautiously embraces him, wrapping an arm around the small boy and letting him nestle into him and bury his head into his robes.

He holds him close as his thin body racks with sobs, he rubs his back trying to soothe the boy as he tries to think about what he can say to help him "I know it's alright Sev, uh I can call you Sev right?"

"Lily calls me Sev, everyone else calls me Severus" he mumbles, wiping his eyes and looking up thoughtfully, noting the familiar smile and green eyes on Harry's face and pauses pondering this. This young man's been alright, he's treated him with kindness and sympathy unlike many other people he's met and certainly, unlike the Potter he knows "I like you you're nice, you remind me of Lily you've got green eyes like hers, yeah I guess you can call me Sev" he agrees nodding and smiling warmly.

Harry takes this in with surprise, touched by the fact that he's compared him to his Mum "Thanks Sev that means a lot. You know I didn't have any friends growing up, my cousin made sure of that telling them what a freak I was but I was lucky I managed to make some good friends here at Hogwarts who like me for who I am, I'm sure you can to" he tells him thinking of Ron and Hermione his best friends and all the others like Neville, Ginny, Luna and the twins who've stood loyally beside him giving him the strength, courage and knowledge to survive the past few years and have never stopped believing in him.

"I know it's hard but try and ignore those boys, they'll target you more if they think they can get a rise out of you. Hold your head high and ignore them, they'll soon lose interest if they don't get a response" Sev shrugs halfheartedly.

He pauses thinking about what to say "it is important to get along with your housemates, but you should be open-minded as well. You should follow your head and your heart even if only in private and decide your friends instead of judging people by whether they're pureblood or not. You're clever and kind, and there are loads of brilliant muggles. One of my best friends is a muggle and she's amazing. She's clever and gifted and brave, I'd be lost without her, I bet you feel the same about Lily, never forget the way you feel about her ok?"

Sev looks up at him thoughtfully, some of what he's said makes a lot of sense "I wish it was that easy" he sighs "somehow I don't think many of the Slytherins will see it that way but, you're right. There must be some good muggles, I've just not met many that I can trust, well except Lily, of course, she's one of the few people who have been kind to me. Some of her friends seem ok I guess, although they never seem interested in me"

"It's not easy trying to keep everyone happy, but I think you'll find a way to make it work. The castle's a big place I'm sure you can find some quiet spot to meet your friends and you never know some of the Slytherins may be more open-minded than you think"

Sev nods thoughtfully analysing everything Harry said to him "hey wait a minute you're not suggesting I just ignore Potter and his idiot friends and let them get away with pranking me and making fun of me!" He says, scowling angrily at Harry who replies calmly.

"No Sev what I'm suggesting is you hold your head up high and pretend it doesn't bother you, then use your Slytherin cunning to get them back when they least expect it" he says with a cheeky grin and a wink tapping his nose knowingly "you're clever enough to come up with some good ideas and cover your tracks, they'll lose interest if they don't get a rise out of you and get a taste of their own medicine to boot"

Sev listens with interest before an enormous grin spreads across his face "that's, that's brilliant Harry really thinking like a Slytherin! Thank you. I know a whole bunch of jinxes I could use on them and some potions too!"

"Ok steady just make sure not to use any spells that can hurt anyone ok?" he reminds him, "oh you like potions don't you?" Harry enquiries wondering when his teacher's passion for potions manifested itself.

"Yeah, my Mum taught me all about potions. Not many people appreciate the subtle art of making a potion, they just think it's boring or an excuse to muck about but they're dead useful and I find it mesmerising and calming. You have to slow down and concentrate all your attention on what you're doing or things can go badly wrong. I like learning defensive magic and duelling spells, I already know a whole bunch of good ones, and I've learnt lots from watching the older Slytherins, they know a lot of dark magic" he says in a knowing whisper.

"Professor Slughorn's a good teacher but he's a stickler for following the old textbooks. I've got loads of ideas though to improve the potions. That's what true potions masters do, they do lots of research into the effects of different ingredients and how they react with each other and then they experiment to find better ways of brewing and improving existing potions or coming up with something totally new. Someday I'd like to make my own potions and my own defence spells" he says, his tone suddenly serious but speaking with a passion his eyes light up.

"My classmates want to learn all the dark magic spells, they say they're much more powerful than the rubbish our defence teacher has us learning. Lily worries about me reading about them, she says they're called the dark arts for a reason and no good can come of immersing myself in them even if it is mainly to defend myself against bullies" frowning sullenly.

"That's great Sev. Sounds like you're gifted, you should pursue your interests" he says encouragingly "she's right though you should be careful with dark magic though it can be dangerous and addictive even if your intentions are good. I've learnt lots of useful spells like the Patronus spell, I could teach you some if you want. Oh and I know some friends who are legendary pranksters, I'll bet I could give you some ideas."

Sev looks up at him in shock and awe "really you mastered the Patronus spell! That's so cool! I heard it's really hard to master. What does it look like?"

"Yep it took me a while to master, but I kind of had to in my 3rd year. Mine's a stag, do you want to see?" Harry says with just a hint of pride.

Sev nods eagerly "I'd love to see if that's ok" he says quietly, excitement written on his face.

Harry nods, standing, he closes his eyes and takes a deep breath to compose himself, drawing on a happy memory, he points his wand and chants "Expecto Patronum" he intones quietly. He focuses his energy and a light forms from his wand growing into a sparkling stag that stands proudly in the centre of the dorm turning to face Harry and Sev who moves forward slowly entranced by the shining form.

"Wow can … can I touch it?" he asks softly looking up at Harry with wide glistening eyes, Harry nods, concentrating on maintaining the Patronus. Slowly Sev moves forward focusing on the shining stag holding out a hand, the stag responds with a gentle graceful bow, he puts a hand out lightly touching its forehead marvelling at the sensation the stag nudges his hand rubbing against it gently before it fades into a cloud of blue sparkling dust.

Harry smiles watching his excitement interacting with the stag.

"That was brilliant, Harry, thanks" he says entranced.

"It's powerful magic and it's fuelled by happy memories" Harry says sitting down catching his breath. Sev sits next to him and they talk for a time exchanging ideas for pranks, reminiscing about some of the twin's favourite pranks, talking earnestly and discussing the best spells and potions with passion, Harry is impressed by how the young boys already knows advanced potions and spells, material far beyond what he remembers covering in his 2nd year and notes how the boy absorbs new knowledge eagerly and already has several good ideas for making his own potions.

After a while, he looks at the time and realises that he needs to find a way to get him out of the dorm before he's surrounded by a bunch of noisy, rowdy older boys before it destroys the fragile bond of trust he's been building up "Sev" he asks gently motioning for the boy to sit near him on a bed "I forgot to ask you, do you know how you got here?"

Sev looks up almost fearfully, looking shy and awkward again he looks away "I honestly don't know. I don't remember much, just I was trying to get away from my father. He was drunk and tried to hit me so I ran and I just wished I was somewhere else … anywhere just so long as it was safe"

There's silence as Harry absorbs this, Sev sits with his head hung low, overcome with shame as he gulps in the air trying not to cry. Time seems to slow as he waits for the inevitable tirade of abuse, the anger, the beating that he's grown accustomed to until he can't bear it any longer "I'm sorry" he blurts out his voice breaking, flinching away in anticipation of the blow.

Harry looks at him in shock before moving closer embracing him, holding him tight rubbing his back gently "it's ok" he whispers.

Sev continues not hearing, unable to hold back the flood of emotions "everyone thinks I'm a coward, they call me names like Snivellus and that's what I did. I ran and hid like a coward!" the boy's almost hysterical at this "I don't want to be scared" he cries in a hoarse whisper burying his head in the older boy's robes.

"It's ok" he says again softly, stroking his hair. "They're wrong you're not a coward"

Sev looks up "I'm not?" he says, surprised wiping his eyes.

"No you're not, you're very brave to endure those things again and again. You learnt how to survive in the hardest way possible." he steels himself taking a breath to compose himself "I know what that's like" he admits.

"You do?" Sev asks nervously, shocked by this admission.

"I do" Harry confirms "it's hard, you do what you have to, to survive each day, always watching your back. You learn when to fight and when to run. I'd say that it takes a lot of courage to endure that and survive, don't you think?" he says, Sev looks at him in stunned silence at this boy whose life reflects his own.

There's a pause silent understanding passes between them "the people who judge you Sev, they don't know, they don't understand. They've never had to face the things we have to face every day that takes great strength" Sev nods numbly.

"Sev?" he says gently lifting his chin so his face is on the same level. The boy who's been staring at the floor looks up at him "I know how hard it is to talk about this, I'm not going to ask you to talk if you don't want to. I promise I won't push you but, I do need to know if you're hurt?"

Sev looks up at him uncertainly, when was the last time someone cared enough to ask if he was hurt? He's hidden the scars for so long, the idea of showing anyone is unbearable "uh I don't think so … I'm alright really" he says grimacing, trying to force a smile and sound convincing.

"Are you sure Sev?" Harry asks, he nods trying to look convincing. Harry raises an eyebrow impassively, looking for a moment like the older Snape. Sev breaks under the pressure "I can't Harry, I just … I can't, everyone would see how they treat me how bad it is" he blurts out, averting his gaze, looking uncomfortable.

"It's ok" Harry says softly, putting a hand gently on his shoulder "I know what it's like, I won't force you" he says remembering how he's hidden his scars for the same reasons. He runs a hand through his hair awkwardly "but, I was thinking I should probably get Madam Pomfrey to have a quick look at some of my scars and I was thinking I'd feel a lot braver if you were there with me" he says looking at Sev who's been watching him and hurriedly looks away.

"I don't know, you don't need me I'm not brave like you" he says looking away.

"Come on Sev that's not true, you're really brave and you wouldn't have to show her any of your scars, you could just watch. Besides" he says, playing his trump card "I'm sure you don't want to be stuck in here with a bunch of rowdy Gryffindors when everyone gets back"

He hates having to use that tactic when he's starting to trust him but he knows that he'll have a hard time trying to explain him to his friends and more importantly that Sev won't like spending the night in the dorm with a bunch of strange noisy boys Gryffindors at that. The experience might be deeply traumatic. He suspects they could both use medical attention more than either of them wishes to let on, at least he'll be safe in the infirmary.

His words have the desired effect, Sev gulps his dark eyes wide with fear, his face draining of colour, he shivers slightly at the thought.

"I wouldn't have to show her?" he says after a moment's silence.

"No, not if you don't want to" he confirms "you'll be safe there and it'll be quiet" he says to reassure him, he lingers for a moment thinking.

"Ok I'll do it" he says trying to smile, Harry smiles back encouragingly "thank you, I know how difficult that must be for you"

He puts a hand on Sev's shoulder thinking, after a moment he speaks thoughtfully "you know what's happened to you it's not your fault?"

Sev nods uncertainly, as though he's been told otherwise "it's hard when you're used to hiding the abuse, carrying it around like a shameful burden. I've done it myself for so long that I dread showing anyone, letting them see the truth about my family and my home life, it's embarrassing and scary. But, it shouldn't be that way. It's not our fault ''

There's stunned silence as they digest the words, Harry can't believe those words have come from his lips. The words show wisdom beyond his years and they contradict everything he's ever done hiding his own suffering and yet he realises he can't let another innocent boy suffer in silence if he can help it.

Sev sits there in shock, often he's wondered if it is his fault, the beating, the abuse if he deserves it all for being a bad child, his mother loved him but, his Father never made any secret of the fact that he considered him a worthless waste of space and a drain on his wages. He voices his thoughts quietly "my Father always said it was my fault, he wished I'd never been born. Nothing but a worthless waste of space. He said the beatings would do me good because I was a bad child and magic was evil. He tried to beat it out of me and my Mum" he wells up looking down in shame.

"He was wrong, Sev, wrong to blame you, wrong to hurt you. My family were the same, they didn't want me, they said I was a freak and an unnecessary burden, they never let me forget it and they told me terrible lies about my parents so I never knew about magic till I got my letter. I had no one to trust or to tell me different. I thought they were right until I came here and found people who cared about me, it took me so long to hear them, to trust people but, eventually, I realized they were right I didn't deserve that treatment and neither do you, no one does" he confides looking him in the eye.

They embrace once more, there are no tears this time, just a powerful urge to be helped and reassured, to share the unspoken sadness and feel safe. The moment ends slowly, Sev composes himself and looks up at him nervously but, determined "so how are we going to get past a room full of Gryffindors?" he asks warily as Harry looks back at him grinning, an idea forming in his mind.

"Ah you'll see, I've got a clever plan for that" he says winking. He moves over to his trunk, beckoning him over "I think you'll like this" he says a mischievous glint in his eyes.

At this moment the door opens slowly they both look up and Sev tries to back away as a tall boy with a mass of bright red hair steps in. He sees Harry and greets his friend.

"Hey, Harry you ok? You've been up here a long time so I just thought I'd check you were ok" he says trailing off as he notices the strange boy behind Harry who moves between them trying to shield him looking sternly at his friend.

"Whoa, who's the kid Harry?" He says eyes widening in shock as he looks between them trying to get a better look at the kid, who tries to hide himself further behind Harry.

Suddenly, he smiles as it hits him "hey he looks just like Snape! I never realised the greasy git had a son down in the dungeon must have kept him chained up with the bats. Wait until the guys get a load of this!" He says, walking over to his bed laughing to himself.

Harry looks at him angry and horrified, he looks down at Sev who is peering out from behind him glares at Ron, his face colouring with shock and anger. Harry puts a hand on his shoulder, he looks up at him confused, his face reminds him of Snape in full rage barely containing the anger swelling up inside. Harry puts a hand on his shoulder signalling to him to breathe and gives him a look motioning he'll take care of this and the boy nods back trying to breathe and push down his anger, he sits on a bed.

"Ron, can I have a word outside?" he says through gritted teeth barely containing his anger, the boy looks up surprised at the tone and stony face "uh ok" he says meekly stepping out of the dorm.

Harry turns back to Sev who looks shaken, he squeezes his shoulder briefly, the boy looks up as if in a daze "it's ok I'll sort this'' he says softly before following Ron out with one last glance back.