Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 3
He senses Sev slip in behind him as they head down the stairs and out into the common room, behind him Sev gulps, steeling himself against a rising wave of nausea before following Harry. Despite his rising fear and overwhelming desire to get out of there, he finds himself looking around with interest. The room feels warm and cosy with a small fire blazing in a hearth and comfy well-worn furniture dotted around and students looking relaxed chatting and playing games or reading in small groups, it's quite a contrast to the more formal and gloomy semi-lit Slytherin common room in the dungeons, lacking natural light they feel cold in comparison and menacing bathed in green light.

Harry walks briskly through exchanging brief exchanges with some of his friends who greet him, before noticing Ron and Hermione sitting by themselves, they glance up at him looking worried and he nods to them, feeling them watching him on his way out. He pauses outside the entrance sensing a ripple of movement before calling out to Sev to check he's ok and offering him a hand which he feels is accepted by a small invisible hand. They hurry through the corridors taking care not to be seen, they stop outside the hospital, Sev takes off the cloak handing it to Harry before being ushered in through the doors.

Fortunately, the ward is empty so Harry walks forward calling for the Nurse. Madam Pomfrey quickly appeared out of her office bustling over, looking slightly concerned as usual. "Oh Harry you gave me a start, are you ok? You're not in trouble already are you?" she chastises, stopping upon seeing the strange boy standing nervously looking at the floor

"Who's this then?" She says, bending down to look at him and looking searchingly between the two.

"Hi Madam Pomfrey, this is Sev" he says, the boy looks up shyly at the mention of his name before averting his gaze, Harry indicating to her that they should move away to talk out of earshot of the boy.

She looks at him expectantly, Harry pauses trying to think how to explain this "he says he's Severus Snape, I don't know what happened or how he got here but, he suddenly appeared out of nowhere in my dorm earlier"

Her eyes widened in shock at the mention of the name before looking thoughtful "really?" he nods "I should have guessed when I saw that face, they say you never forget a face you know. What happened?" she says, looking across at the small boy curiously.

He continues, "I'm not sure, I think he may be hurt, it sounded like his father had been trying to give him a beating and he tried to escape and ended up here. I tried to convince him to come down so you could have a look and I could get him out of the dorm but, he was very reluctant to talk about it and he was getting quite distressed at the idea of showing anyone so I suggested I'd come down so you could have a look at me and he could watch"

She shook her head looking sad at the mention of a beating, before nodding, "I suspected as much when he was younger, but I could never get him to confide in me, he was always a somewhat reluctant patient, much like yourself" she recalls chastising him. "That was quick thinking, I'm sure we'll think of some way to encourage him, in the meantime I can perform a scan to check for any injuries. Well, I suppose we'd better take a look at you then. I'll talk with some of the teachers first, I should really let them know what's happened and see if they have any ideas. I suppose I should check that Severus is alright oh and I'll need to gather some supplies. It won't be long dear" she says hurrying away muttering absently to herself.

Harry looks around for Sev and spots him nearby still looking around, distracted and anxious. He approaches him, ushering him over to one of the beds, he puts an arm around him talking softly and reassuring him while they wait.

Soon enough they hear Madam Pomfrey coming back "right come on let's have a look at you" she says gently but firmly, he stands taking off his robes and unbuttoning his shirt while she sets some of the bottles out and pours a measure into two cups. She stands up to examine Harry who slips his shirt off and turns around so she can see his back.

She almost drops her tray of tools as she notices Sev standing awkwardly behind him, looking tentatively up at her before copying Harry, dropping his head and concentrating intently on undoing his shirt buttons before slipping it off and turning to expose his back and dipping his head in embarrassment.

They both look at him surprised before she gasps again, quickly trying to compose herself as she takes in the two boys. Harry's back and shoulders are a strange mosaic of colourful bruises shades of red and mottled purple bruising along with some more sickly colours, there are signs of scars but they appear to be mostly closed and healed over and smaller cuts are running down his arms.

In contrast, the smaller boy's back and arms are a mess of open sores and wounds, old and new and raised red welts that look painful and tender. It is clear to see the imprint of a belt amongst them. Many of the wounds are weeping blood and clear fluid and looking infected. She notes as well how unnaturally thin and small they both look unclothed.

"Oh my look at the two of you, it's a good job you showed me, you shouldn't leave these wounds like this or you could develop a serious infection. You Harry, in particular, should know better, you shouldn't feel you need to hide this from me, I'm here to help you not sit in judgment and interrogate you" she exclaims sadly, fetching two cups of pain relief potion and a calming draught and handing one to each boy, "right then, who's first?" she asks in a more firm but kind tone with her hands on her hips as the two boys look at each other nervously.

"Do you want me to go first, Sev?" Harry asks, and he nods.

"You might as well stick something on while you're waiting, don't want you catching a chill" she advises before sitting down next to Harry and summoning the various bottles and potions to her side.

Sev watches curiously despite his fear as she works. He leans in closer to get a better look before summoning up the courage to ask questions about the treatment, she answers his questions patiently explaining what she's doing and demonstrating the technique with him watching closely before she asks if he wants to try. He applies the salves carefully, making sure to copy the technique. A few of the wounds require dressing, so she demonstrates, allowing him to assist her in wrapping the dressings, nodding her approval, yes, in another life Severus' deft hands and encyclopedic knowledge of potions would have made him an exceptionally talented healer.

As she's finished working on Harry, several of the teachers enter quietly, silently summoning chairs as they sit a distance away, watching, casting disillusionment charms over themselves so as not to embarrass them while they're being treated. The teachers murmur amongst themselves Professor McGonagall comments "looks like Poppy's found herself a keen helper" before teasing Snape "oh he does look like you Severus, I'd forgotten how much you've changed since you were a boy" there are murmurs of agreement as the other heads reminisce.

Snape flushes at her words and sighs, dismissing her "don't be ridiculous Minerva, he looks nothing like me" he drawls causing her to grin, he rolls his eyes, fixing his gaze on the strange boy.

"Oh come now Severus you must admit there is a certain resemblance, I had quite forgotten how you looked when you were young" comes a warm voice from behind startling him, Professor Dumbledore has slipped in unnoticed much to the amusement of the others.

"Not another word" he warns, feeling his face burn with embarrassment. He tries to suppress his annoyance and concentrate on the strange small boy, there is something familiar about him not that he would admit it. Harry stands up to stick a shirt on before sitting down across from the boy, talking to him quietly and offering his hand for him to hold.

There are shocked gasps and whispers as the boy uncovers his back, Snape, in particular, finds himself wincing along with the boy as she cleans and dresses the wounds aware of how painful it must be recalling his own childhood and his embarrassment, was it really that bad? He notes with surprise how Potter squeezes the boy's hand attempting to distract him.

As Madam Pomfrey finishes treating the boy they cancel the disillusionment charms and Harry sees them quietly excusing himself and walking over to the group and greeting them curtly "ah Harry how good to see you" Dumbledore starts kindly.

Snape stands towering over him and glares down "Mr Potter, creating trouble again, I see why am I not surprised. Would you care to explain this boy's presence?" he snarls menacingly, glowering down at the boy who looks at him nervously, trying to think of an appropriate response.

"I don't know sir, he just appeared in my dorm out of nowhere" he stammers nervously knowing it sounds like a lame excuse.

"He just appeared! Really Mr Potter what kind of a fool do you take me for?!" he looms over him, his face livid with anger, the other teachers try to calm him attempting to place a restraining hand on his shoulder, he shrugs them off "do you have any idea of the potential damage you may have caused bringing the boy here?!" he continues in a more menacing hiss, his thin lips curling unpleasantly.

Harry recoils in shock under the onslaught, trying to stammer a reply. Suddenly a small voice startles Snape and Harry "leave him alone it's not his fault!" The imposing figure looks down in shock, the red mist clearing as he takes in the small boy glaring defiantly up his black eyes burning determinedly. The boy had clearly escaped the nurse as his small chest was still exposed and swathed in bandages.

"What?!" he snaps at the boy who stares back at him defiantly.

"It's not his fault sir, at least I don't think it can be" he looks away "you see I was running away from my father, he was trying to give me a beating and I ran and found somewhere to hide. I prayed to anyone who would listen to send me somewhere safe and the next thing I knew I was in his dorm and he was talking to me. He's done nothing but help me and protect me so you shouldn't shout at him like that" he declared, glaring at him.

There's stunned silence as everyone takes this in Snape looks taken aback, his normally sallow skin appearing more pale and sickly than normal as he looks at the boy in shock who continues to fix him with a curious and penetrating gaze, small black eyes boring into his own. Madam Pomfrey approaches him, tapping him gently and handing him a shirt and helping him ease the soft loose shirt over his bandages.

"Don't worry my boy, I see no reason for Harry to be in any trouble. It sounds like he has been most helpful and acted responsibly. The professor was merely stressed out by recent events, causing him to lose his temper, you must excuse his outburst" says Dumbledore calmly, looking sternly in Snape's direction. He offers one of his grandfatherly smiles at the oh so familiar young boy "Now then my boy, please would you be so kind as to indulge an old man and remind me of your name?"

The boy stares up at him "yes headmaster, it's Severus Snape sir" he says which provokes another reaction and more quiet murmuring amongst the staff as they look between the two Snape's, the similarities becoming even more apparent in their anger.

"Ah yes, of course, I remember now Severus, you must forgive an old man for his lapse in memory, unfortunately, there are a lot of student names to remember and they sometimes slip my mind" he says smiling at him, the boy nods.

Meanwhile, Snape continues to stare down at the boy in shock as his anger fades, the whole world seems to slow and fade until it's just him and the boy as he hears him say his name. Silently as though in a trance he drops softly to the floor till he's crouching opposite the boy, who turns to look at him. Carefully he slips a hand under his chin raising his face enough so he's looking directly into the pale thin face, dark intense eyes staring back at him in confusion boring into his own, he gently brushes the boy's dark hair out of his face. Suddenly, without realising what he's doing, he finds himself embracing the small boy, wrapping his arms carefully around his tiny frame, engulfing him in the billowing layers of black fabric.

Sev is surprised by the sudden change in the man. He expects to feel uncomfortable, looking into this man's eyes and yet he senses a change in him. The hand that lifts his face is gentle and soft in spite of the callouses, the man's dark eyes gleam with sadness. He is startled when he embraces him but accepts it readily, his touch is gentle and careful and it feels safe engulfed in the dark soft fabric like a protective blanket. Up close he smells pleasantly of dried herbs, he breathes in the soothing, reassuring scent imagining himself back in the potions lab, the one place where he feels truly safe. He feels a connection between them he can't explain, he frowns, he senses overwhelming sadness in him as though he's lost something important as though there's something broken or missing within the man. He can't explain it but, he hugs him back trying to heal this broken man and feels him relax as his heartbeat slows.

Suddenly the trance is broken Snape becomes aware once more of his surroundings and everyone stares at him in stunned, amused silence. He can't believe he's just done that, he thinks he must either be ill or going soft to have hugged a child in front of his fellow teachers. Perhaps it's the idea that this neglected and abused young boy who reminds him so much of himself could grow up never knowing what it is like to be loved that has moved him to such strange displays of affection. Carefully he slips his arms from around the boy, helping him up and running a hand over his hair before standing up, composing himself making sure the stone-cold mask is back in place before looking around, glaring at them all, daring them to laugh or pass comment in front of him.

Sev looks up at the strange man deep in thought until something clicks "you're Professor Snape aren't you? The other boys said I looked like Snape and I didn't understand but, this must be what they meant. I didn't realise there were any wizards on my Father's side" he muses shrugging at the last bit.

There is another stunned silence as Snape stares at him in surprise, amazed at the boy's logical deductions he looks across at Dumbledore searchingly, and he raises an eyebrow at him curious to see how he will answer that one.

"Ah yes, you're quite right, I believe you know your other professors, Professor Snape is indeed a distant relative who has recently joined our staff and has been spending a lot of time assisting Professor Slughorn in the dungeons, you will probably not see much of him when you return to your studies" he says calmly. Snape glowers at him for a moment as the smug expression is wiped from his face at the suggestion that he's acting as an apprentice to Slughorn before realising reluctantly that the explanation is sensible without confusing the boy.

"Now then I'm sure Madam Pomfrey will want you both in bed soon but, I was wondering if you would perhaps be so good as to have a quick chat with me, I must confess I am quite keen to hear some of your adventure and how you are doing with your studies" the Headmaster says smiling kindly and gesturing for Sev and Harry to join him in sitting on one of the beds, they chat amicably with Dumbledore asking him about Sev's favourite subjects.

"I enjoyed helping Madam Pomfrey earlier, it was interesting learning about the medicines she was using. I like potions as well, I'd like to be able to make my own someday and I enjoy Defence Against The Dark Arts. I already know a lot of the spells and Harry showed me some of his favourites and his Patronus. A lot of my friends want to learn about dark magic but Harry said I should be careful with learning dark magic" he says speaking enthusiastically but looking nervous at the last bit.

"He knows his stuff, I swear he knows more potions than me" Harry admits smiling at him and winking.

"That is hardly surprising given how little you pay attention in my class" Snape commented snidely.

"I am glad to see you showing an interest in healing, which is a very positive sign and I'm sure Madam Pomfrey will always be glad of some extra assistance if you want to learn more. I'm glad to hear you have taken such an interest in potions and Defence Against The Dark Arts. It is useful to have a good knowledge of defensive spells and the Patronus spell is a particularly powerful light magic spell and very useful one to learn. Harry is wise to warn you against the dark arts, many of the spells can be powerful and dangerous, particularly for young students" Dumbledore says seriously.

At this point, Snape, who has been standing nearby observing their conversation, moves forward to join them "whilst your friend and the Headmaster are correct to warn you against the dark arts and caution you against practising the spells, it is also worth noting that the study of the dark arts in itself is not a bad thing so much as how you choose to use that information. Although perhaps it would be better to study with proper guidance as they can be quite addictive. The more you know about the dark arts and understand how they work, the better prepared you will be to defend yourself against them and to identify the signs of dark magic and counter them. For example, to be able to cast a counter curse you need to be able to identify which curse was cast, to begin with, a skill which will surely serve you well if you choose to pursue a career as a healer" he points out smiling slightly and fixing the Headmaster with a pointed glare in the direction of his hand.

"Ah yes thank you, Professor Snape does indeed raise some good points, his knowledge of the Dark Arts has indeed proved invaluable although I would still recommend studying them with a good measure of caution"

Professor Snape continues silently observing the two boys mesmerised by the boy who so resembles himself as a child feeling baffled by how he interacts so happily with Potter of all people. After a while he approaches them again and clears his throat causing them both to look at him in surprise "Mr Snape, a word if I may" he intones trying to keep his voice to his normal smooth monotone.

Sev exchanges a worried glance with Harry who looks back at him in sighs rolling his eyes at their clear mistrust of him "I assure you that contrary to the rumours flying about I am not a monster who will eat you up, I merely want to talk to you"

They look at him in shock before the boy considers and slowly nods his assent "uh ok sir" he replies nervously.

"You sure Sev?" "Yeah, I'll be alright" he says trying to assume an air of confidence and smile at him.

"Ok well just be careful alright" Harry warns him.

They are interrupted by Snape's impatient voice "come" he commands without looking back to check if the boy is following, striding over to the office his black robes billowing impressively behind him. Sev stares after him mesmerised for a moment wondering if he can learn how to get his robes to do that one day.

He watches him go before ushering the Headmaster away from everyone else for a private chat, he talks quietly to him before handing him a small pouch and roll of parchment, the Headmaster nods and smiles approvingly at the boy's suggestion a twinkle in his eyes.