Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6
Harry exits the Headmaster's Office and stops with a start on noticing his potions teacher waiting patiently outside "uh hi Professor" he says nervously preparing to walk straight past.

"Potter, thank you" he turns startled, looking at him questioningly, "Sir?" "For looking after the boy, I mean. I'm sorry I snapped at you last night" he clarifies, sounding slightly embarrassed at apologising to him of all people before resuming his normal annoyed expression.

Harry looks away, unsure how to feel about this unexpected apology "uh, that's ok, I'm sorry Sir, I didn't realise what it must be like, what you'd been through" suddenly he finds it much more interesting to look at his feet than Snape's "I imagine it must have been a shock meeting him"

There is a moment of uncertain silence, Snape looks at him trying to compose himself as he looms over him, replying in a low menacing whisper "Potter, you do realise that boy was not me?"

Harry recoils at this nervously stammering slightly "oh of course sir, I didn't mean to imply that he was, really"

Snape sighs silently, cursing himself. Years of being the hated and intimidating bat of the dungeon are hard to break, he walks to a bench nearby gesturing for the boy to take a seat next to him "I perhaps didn't phrase that particularly well, Dumbledore has explained his theory on where the boy came from correct?" Harry nodded "While it is true technically speaking that we are the same person, he is nothing like me at that age, too much has changed in him, he is much happier and more confident than I remember being at that age. I am certain that his future is now set on a different path than mine was at that age, do you see what I mean?"

"Yes sir. I was just thinking that it was pretty brave the way he stood up to you, anyone who can stand up to you like that has got to be a Snape" he says hastily, smiling at the memory and thinking that it was either bravery or he had a death wish he thinks looking up at him to check if he's overstepped the mark.

He looks down at him a look of annoyance passing over his face before shaking it off, an amused smile passing over his face as he thinks how he met his equal in a young 12-year-old boy "quite it takes a very brave or foolish soul indeed to stand up to me, clearly he does not know me very well, perhaps I'm losing my touch"

Harry smiles at this "don't worry sir we all still fear you and we have a fun little tradition of telling all the first years tales of our fearsome potions master to have them quaking in their boots with fear. Besides, I know if I ever said anything like that you'd give me at least a week's detention scrubbing out cauldrons or cutting up Flobberworms"

"Trust me, Potter, if you behaved in that fashion, a month's worth of detention would be the least of your worries" he replies with a smirk forming on his thin lips.

Harry's face pales momentarily as he tries to determine whether he really means it or if it's simply Snape's dark sense of humour, he sits in thought for a moment. "Do you think he ever suspected the truth?"

Snape glances at him pondering the question before replying, "I honestly can't say. It sounds as though there were a few slip-ups and if he's as intelligent as he appeared and as I was at that age he will probably have begun to suspect something didn't add up, although whether he realised that we were essentially the same person is another matter"

"Yeah, he was a pretty smart kid just lacking in friends and good role models. I can see where you get your passion for potions from though"

Snape smiled in amusement "that obvious hm?" He replies, arching an eyebrow.

"Yeah" Harry confirmed, sharing his amusement before turning more thoughtful as he thought back to his new young friend who he would probably never see again.

They sit there a few moments in silence before Harry breaks the silence "I'm really going to miss him sir" he says thoughtfully his teacher looking down at him "it's funny I knew who he was as soon as I saw his face, but I never thought of him as being you, he was just a scared, traumatised young kid who needed a friend to look out for him and guide him and care. It's strange, it was kind of like having a brother, I always wanted that, someone, who understood what it was like who would look out for me and I think I ended up protecting him like he was my brother. I think we both needed that. It helped me, after everything that happened last year it distracted me"

Snape looks down at him thoughtfully taking in all that he's said, he's never been good with emotions and grand speeches, he lays a hand gently on the boy's shoulder noting the boy flinching slightly at the touch, he looks up at him, "That is good, believe it or not, but even I don't get much pleasure in seeing you moping around looking sorry for yourself. Dumbledore says you did a good job looking after the boy, it's not often that I agree with him but, in this instance, I am inclined to agree'' he clears his throat "I don't give out praise lightly but, you uh did well Potter I am impressed with how you dealt with the situation. No child should have to experience what you have both been through, you have given him a chance now to have a better life than I did, for that I thank you" he says solemnly with a tinge of sadness in his voice.

Harry looks up at him in shocked silence before he rises and starts walking away his black robes billowing around him, he looks for a moment before getting up and walking in the opposite direction before a voice startles him he turns "oh and Potter if you tell anyone what I just said you really will get at least a weeks detention, can't have the world thinking I'm going soft on you, I do have a reputation to maintain" he says smoothly giving the boy a hard ice-cold stare before turning a smile on his thin lips.

He gapes at him for a minute "no sir, of course not" he says shocked at first, then trying to stifle a laugh he walks away smiling and shaking his head, he wonders if he'll ever figure Snape out.