Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 9
To Harry,

Hi, I hope you are well, I just wanted to write and let you know about all the things that are happening around here. First off I wanted to thank you for slipping those coins into my pocket (I'm guessing it must have been you), that was really kind and thoughtful of you, I must confess that I am not used to seeing so much money as my father normally spends all of it on drinking. Anyway, I kept it well hidden from my parents and when I went with Lily and her family to pick up school supplies I purchased the books that Madam Pomfrey recommended, in fact, there was still a little leftover so I'm going to save it until I decide what to spend it on, perhaps I could save up for some of the interesting potions books I saw.

This summer has been great, I've already made use of the invisibility cloak you gave me to escape without my father noticing which has meant that I've been able to spend much more time outside reading (some of the books I picked up are really fascinating you wouldn't believe the amount of healing potions there are to learn about, I can't wait to practice brewing them) and just hanging out with Lily. I've found it much easier to relax around her now that I'm not so scared of my father, I've told her all about my adventure, you should have seen her face she couldn't believe it! (I think she may even have been a little disappointed to have missed out, she was happy for me though). Come to think of it, I struggle sometimes to believe it wasn't some fantastic dream. I've tried to explain to her how difficult things are with being in Slytherin. I think she understands a bit better how hard it is for me to fit in and make friends but she's determined to help me make some new true friends.

I've also told her that my experiences have made me feel less nervous about seeing the nurse and have even inspired me to learn more about healing magic and now that I feel more confident I'd like to learn more about some of the treatments she uses so I can make them better and help other people like me. I might even pursue a career as a Healer or maybe a Potions Master since that's my other true passion, she thinks that's a really good idea for a career and thinks that I'll do well regardless of which path I choose., guess I'm lucky to have at least one friend who's so supportive.

To Harry,

Hi, sorry for not writing sooner but a lot has happened since the holidays and I really haven't had time to catch my breath. There have already been a lot of changes in the past few weeks since I started back at Hogwarts. For starters, I gave Madam Pomfrey and the Headmaster the letters that your Headmaster gave me. Madam Pomfrey insisted on running a full check up on me when she'd read the letter, she prescribed me some nutrient potions since I'm apparently a bit small and thin for my age (she thinks I'm due a growth spurt soon and that I'll shoot up like a Snargaluff, I'm not sure how I feel about that). I told her about the books I'd bought, she approved and said she could always make use of eager young students who wanted to learn.

The Headmaster looked very surprised and concerned when he read the letter that I gave him, he asked me a lot of questions and said that he was going to look very seriously into the claims that I was being bullied by Potter and his gang and that he would be discussing suitable punishments with our heads of house if he found out they were guilty, I think he wants to nip this sort of behaviour in the bud before they and other students start to think it's acceptable. He also said he'd be having a chat with my teachers and specifically my Head of House Professor Slughorn and Professor McGonagall, which is reassuring. Professor McGonagall may be strict and as much a Gryffindor as they come, but I also know that she's always been fair and kind, at least in my experience whereas as everyone says Slughorn only cares if you're famous or talented.

Dumbledore also suggested he could teach me the basics of Occlumency. He says I'm a bit young to start learning most of it but that some of the exercises might be useful in helping me to control my emotions and to deal with some of my more traumatic memories, he tested me which felt weird and he said I may be a natural occlumens (sounds cool right?) He also said that I'm displaying a lot of potential in DADA and I should come to him if I want to learn some more defensive magic instead of looking up the dark arts in books, he knows a lot of spells I haven't even heard of and he's willing to discuss the theory with me as well. I think he feels that it would be safer for me to learn from him than looking it up on my own, which makes sense, some of those books are quite dangerous even Malfoy says that and he's a Prefect.

Potter and his friends have still been trying to make my life miserable, taking every opportunity they can to try and prank me or call me nasty names, it still makes me very angry but, I'm taking your advice trying to hold my head high and ignore them and I can tell you they don't like that at all. In fact, they're getting really frustrated because the people who were laughing with them last year are increasingly saying that it's not cool 4 students ganging up on one person particularly when they're hexing me and I'm not fighting back. There've been times when Potter and Black in particular have got so angry from not getting a reaction that they've totally lost it, the Prefects and teachers have caught them attacking me in this way several times and let me tell you I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of McGonagall's rage, she gave them a right dressing down telling them they were a disgrace to Gryffindor, they're already unpopular for losing so many house points and she warned them that if they continued in that manner they would potentially face expulsion. Professor Slughorn also said I should come to him and tell him or one of the Prefects if I have any more problems with them.

I for my part have been looking up suitable hexes (you can't go far wrong with a good Slugulus Eructo or a subtle Jelly Legs Jinx) and have managed to subtly use some of them to good effect without any but, the most eagle-eyed students noticing, this has earned me a bit of praise from my fellow students who've been impressed with how I handled it, my housemates, in particular, approve saying it's a very Slytherin tactic, I've had more students approach me in the past few weeks trying to cosy up to me then all of last year, I'm actually beginning to get a bit fed up of it. The cloak has also proved useful in this regard allowing me to silently play some pranks on them without being seen, it has been good fun overall but, they seem to be leaving me alone now so I think I'll quit while I'm ahead as I've got better things to engage in than some silly prank war like studying and brewing potions or hanging out with Lily besides which we both agree that pranking is very immature.

I've been trying to stay away from the Slytherin common room recently as a lot of students, particularly the older ones keep on talking about the dark arts and this powerful wizard who is rising to power and gaining a following amongst the pureblood families, a lot of people support his ideas and say that they can't wait to pledge their loyalty when they're old enough. Not only that, but I've noticed a worrying increase in their hostility towards Muggleborns, not openly of course, but in private they degrade them saying how they're unworthy of magic and should be purged from the magical world, some of the things they talk about doing to them are too horrible to even think about. They keep trying to encourage me and the others to join in, I just nod and pretend to agree so I don't get on their bad side but, truthfully all this kind of talk scares the hell out of me, to think that people think that way makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach, to think I used to join in and laugh at them hexing the mugggleborns, I'm just glad they don't know that I'm a half-blood. Anyway, that's why I'm trying to spend more time in the library and with my friends, I hope some of the other Slytherins will do the same, I know not everyone feels the same, some of the younger students, in particular, seem equally scared but, I know most don't dare to defy the older students.

Speaking of my friends, I've been spending a lot more time studying and hanging out with Lily just enjoying each other's company. We enjoy experimenting and brewing potions, together I can tell she's going to be a talented brewer and she says the same about me. Reading and brewing potions helps me to relax and spending time with Lily helps me to forget about all my other troubles. She's also introduced me to some of her friends, I get along quite well with one of them in particular. He's a young Gryffindor. He's called Scott, he's quite quiet and thoughtful but, he seems friendly and supportive and he and Lily always stick up for me when they see Potter and his friends giving me a hard time, oh and he's really good at Herbology as well, he's always happy to help me collecting potions ingredients as he likes discovering new plants and he's very good at identifying them and always seems to know instinctively just where they're growing.

Speaking of Gryffindors, I was quite surprised recently when one of the marauders apologised to me. It was the strange boy Lupin, there's something off about him that I just can't put my finger on like how he always disappears at a certain time of the month. Anyhow, he managed to get away from his friends and explained that he felt guilty about the way they'd acted (I bet he does now that they're getting all the flack for it) and that they were going too far but, that he'd gone along with it because he had never had any friends before and he was afraid that he may lose his only real friends if he refused to join in or raised to strong an objection. Suffice to say I'm still wary about him, there's something decidedly off about him and I'm not sure that I'll ever trust any marauder but at least he's trying to make amends which is more than his friends so I accepted his apology in relatively good grace as I kind of understand his dilemma as I know what it's like not having any friends. Time will tell I guess but I'm willing to leave him alone if he'll do me the same courtesy.

To Harry,

Hi, I'm still spending a good deal of my spare time helping Madam Pomfrey out on the ward, Lily and Scott are both interested in healing and come with me sometimes, Lily's particularly good at charms and Scott is always asking about which plants are good for healing and how to prepare them, he collects some of the plants we need now so we've got a fresh supply for when we need to prepare some of easier creams and salves. It's always interesting and when there are no patients to treat she often teaches me how to cast a new healing charm or has me help prepare some of the salves and creams she uses, she says I'm a quick learner and could have a promising career as a healer.' Speaking of which she often gives me a list of potions that she needs making up. I think she expects me to pass it on to Professor Slughorn to brew but I asked him if I could try to brew them when I gave him the list and he was more than happy for me to do so provided someone was there supervising me since he has a lot of potions to make up.

It's funny I overheard them talking, she was saying how well they were brewed thinking that he'd made them when he confessed that I'd volunteered to make them, she was very surprised at how I was already so skilled at brewing, Professor Slughorn said I was a very good student and already a competent brewer and that I always asked intelligent questions, he thinks I've got a bright future in potions if I decide to pursue it. I was thrilled to hear that they both think so highly of me, not like back in Cokesworth where most people ignored me. You'll never believe it though, Madam Pomfrey even offered to pay me a small sum for each batch of potions I made, she explained that Professor Slughorn gets paid extra for doing it so they had agreed that it was only fair that she offered the same to me for brewing them. I didn't have to think long about it, I enjoy the work and it's not as though my parents earn much so anything extra I can save up will be incredibly useful. It will mean that I'll be able to afford some new books and perhaps some decent quality school supplies or potions equipment as well.

To Harry,

Oh my gosh, thank you for sharing your adventures with me. It's amazing. I can't believe how much has happened to you and I thought my life was rough. I've shared your stories with Lily and Scott, they're both enthralled by your adventures and we all agree that your world sounds amazing and frightening in equal measures. They agree with me that we should definitely show this to Dumbledore, if he's anything like how you describe him in your world he should be able to help us and advise us on what to do, who knows maybe we can stop this Dark Lord sooner with all the information you've provided it already feels as though we're on the brink of war.

To Harry,

Hi, we've finally had a chance to talk to the Headmaster and show him my journal. We left it with him so that he could study it and have a chance to read all of your stories. Suffice to say that he looked amazed and somewhat disturbed by what he'd read when he called us back. I can't blame him, the thought of anyone using such foul and archaic dark magic to gain immortality and splitting their soul that many times is a truly scary thought, I'm just glad you managed to help me see that I needed to get out of there and stop listening to some of the Slytherins when you did, it horrifies me to think how easily I could have become a Death Eater, I realise now that my friendship with Lily is worth far more to me than the promise of power.

He agreed that we need to try and destroy the Horcruxes as soon as possible, I think he was all set to do it on his own but after a lot of work on our part, we managed to persuade him to let us help him. He agreed, but he's set some ground rules. He said that if we're going to help then he's going to make sure we receive plenty of training to ensure that we're prepared. He wants to teach us some Occlumency so we're able to protect our minds as he can use Legilimency against us. He wants us to practise duelling more, learn more about how to defend ourselves and read up on the dark arts, all under his direct supervision of course so that we are prepared for anything and know how to identify signs of curses and other dark magic and can cast the counter curses, and of course, he says, it's more important than ever that we keep on learning more about healing and brewing potions that might be useful now, as we certainly might need both those skills for what's to come.

He also said that it would be best to wait until after we'd graduated before hunting the Horcruxes which is still quite a way away so we'll have to be patient, at least it gives us plenty of time to train and prepare, I'm kind of glad worrying about our OWLS is stressful enough. I think that's partially because he wants us to concentrate on our studies and not be distracted by this but he also says that it's sensible as we don't know when exactly he created and hid his Horcruxes and if we start hunting for them too soon before they're all ready to be found there's more chance that he might realise what we're doing and try to stop us. Aside from that, he said that he still needs to find some way for us to destroy them since using Fiendfyre is a very dangerous and unstable way of destroying them and basilisk venom and fangs are extremely rare and hard to come by particularly without someone who can speak parseltongue on our side, that's one of the things we're going to have to research and see whether there's anything else which would work if you have any ideas do let me know.

To Harry,

Hi, sorry I haven't been in touch much, things have been pretty intense with training and revising for our NEWTS. Still, we can finally breathe a sigh of relief. We've just got our results. We've all done well all round, I'm sure it won't come as any surprise that Lily and I have both got top marks in potions or that Scott's got top marks in herbology go figure, Lily did well in charms naturally and we've all done really well with defence against the dark arts even Scott's upped his game since we started training all those years ago although the way he moves around he barely needs to worry about casting defensive spells.

We've been so preoccupied with exams and the fact that we'll soon be hunting Horcruxes that we haven't had much chance to think about what we wanted to do after we graduated although we did manage to find some time to relax and talk about it after we'd recovered from all of our exams. Lily and I both still share a love of potions and we'd like to study for a mastery at some point (Professor Slughorn says I could easily become one of the youngest potions masters in living memory if I apply myself and that's what I want) much as that appeals we both want to do something worthwhile, I'm keen to continue training as a Healer and I think right at the minute with the war going on that's what we really need now is more trained Healers, I know that Lily agrees with me on that point and Scott does as well although I think he's definitely best suited for a career working with plants he really is a natural around them.

We're all keen to get started hunting Horcruxes but Dumbledore says that he still needs to finish making preparations before we can begin. That being said, he's certainly made a lot of progress. He says he's procured some goblin-made daggers which will be able to destroy them, presumably he's allowed them to absorb some basilisk venom or something similar, although he's been very secretive about how he's prepared them. Thanks to all your information we've already got a good idea where most of the Horcruxes should be so we should be ready to swoop in and search for them when we get word that he's ready and we've made sure that we're all stocked up on all the potions and other supplies that we may need on this adventure, wish us luck we'll surely need it.

To Harry,

Apologies for not getting back in touch with you sooner, but it's been a really draining rollercoaster ride searching and destroying all the Horcruxes these past few months, although it sounds like we've had it a lot easier than you did when you were searching for them.

Thanks to your instructions we were able to find the lost diadem fairly easily and while we were searching for it Dumbledore tipped off the Aurors to the fact that Malfoy, his wife and the Lestrange family were all Death Eaters who with a large cache of dangerous artefacts filled with dark magic. They were all arrested swiftly and quietly so as not to tip him off and were quickly put on trial, they were both convicted although no surprise Malfoy tried to protest his innocence by saying he did it all under the Imperius curse, that's a bloody laugh I still remember what he was like at school trying to sweet talk me and a load of other students into joining. Anyway, it meant that we were able to search the Malfoy estate and Lestrange's vault for the Horcruxes, we figured it would be a good place to start since the diary was his first Horcrux.

Fortunately, the ring was still hidden in a box underneath the old Gaunt family shack, it wasn't too hard to find once we'd cleared the overgrown weeds enough to get in and sorted through the mess inside, the real difficulty was trying to stop Dumbledore from wearing that damn ring, in spite of the warning the temptation to see his family was clearly still very hard to resist. We had to wait the longest to try and recover the locket but we managed with Sirius help to intercept their House Elf Kreacher and convince him to give us the locket with the promise that we could destroy it for Regulus (Sirius's brother), I can only hope that knowing that we managed to destroy it and fulfil his master's final orders has given him some peace and comfort after all he has been forced to endure.

Once we had destroyed all the Horcruxes we worked with the Aurors and managed to discern his most recent movements. We also interrogated some recently captured Death Eaters and learnt of an upcoming meeting that would be taking place at one of their estates that they were using for meetings We managed to gather quite a team to apparate nearby and they eventually managed to dismantle their wards so we could access the property before setting up our own anti apparition wards to prevent any of his followers from escaping. We surrounded the property and engaged in a fierce battle although Dumbledore instructed us to stay back so that we could help heal any of the injured Aurors (I think it was really because he was worried about us getting hurt). It was chaos but we had the advantage of surprise and managed to capture and incapacitate many of the Death Eaters until eventually, it was a straight-out battle between the Dark Lord and Dumbledore, you could feel the chill in the air, they're both very powerful and evenly matched but you could tell that even he was afraid somewhat of Dumbledore's power. In the end, he was defeated by his own killing curse which Dumbledore managed to repel by sending it straight back at him, given all the damage he'd already done to his soul he didn't stand a chance. Good riddance I dare say the Aurors have already managed to capture a load more Death Eaters, many of them were already trying to flee or protest their innocence shortly after they learnt that their master was dead.

One thing's for sure though this experience has been pretty intense and has left us shaken and scared at times but it's also brought all of us closer, we've really had to watch each other's backs with all this dark magic and curses that he left to protect them. It's really reinforced the friendship the three of us have, Scott's like a brother to us and then there's Lily. Well, I guess I always knew I loved her but I was always too shy and insecure to think that she might actually feel the same now after this I feel this fierce urger to protect her and I know that I'd do anything just to protect her and make her happy, I can see when she looks at me that she feels the same after all we've been through I feel like I finally have the courage to tell her how I feel.

We're finally able to look ahead to a future free from the fear and impending darkness that was hanging over us like a dark cloud. Now we can think about what we want to do with our lives. Scott's going to study for a Mastery in Herbology, he's thinking about pursuing a career in conservation, travelling the world kind of like Newt Scamander or the Muggle plant hunters used to in Victorian times but with the aim of studying and protecting rare and endangered magical plants, he hopes that he'll be able to learn a lot from the local people who protect them. Lily and I are thinking that we'd like to set up a small apothecary shop and clinic somewhere peaceful at some point, it would be a good way for us to combine our love of potions with our desire to help and heal people. For now, though, we're both going to concentrate on becoming qualified healers, and we'll be able to work at St Mungo's while we're training, which will at least mean we'll have a steady income until we can save up enough to buy a place of our own. One of the nurses also says there's a Potions Mastery that you can complete whilst you're working, which allows you to specialise in brewing healing potions, this sounds perfect.

Letters to the next generation:

To Sev,

Hi sorry, it feels like ages since I last wrote but, things have been very busy these past few months. You may remember that when I last wrote I informed you that we were expecting again, well I'm incredibly pleased to announce to you that the latest member of our family arrived earlier today. He is a beautiful little boy, he looks a lot like his Mum but, he has got green eyes just like my Mum and me and his brother, this seems to be becoming a bit of a family trait although his eyes are considerably darker.

It is funny I considered naming James after you and my own worlds Severus Snape but in the end, I am glad that I didn't because I saw so much of him and you in his innocent young face, I looked into those eyes and I knew then what to call him, Ginny saw it too and we both agreed it would be a fitting tribute to name him after both of you, after everything we have all been through it seemed fitting. So it is that we welcomed Severus Albus Potter into the world. I sense that he has a wise, thoughtful soul and will wear his name well. I know that our Severus kept his own emotions a closely guarded secret and did not like being the centre of attention, I know he carried much shame and guilt for his actions but, I cannot help but think that he would be pleased to know that his name lives on in a young child who is pure of heart it feels almost like a kind of rebirth, we have lost so many good friends too soon, but we will teach all our children about their namesakes and hope that they wear them with pride.

To Harry,

It is indeed good to hear from you. I apologize that I have not been in touch myself but as you say things are considerably busier now and keeping our apothecary going often feels like a full-time job at times. I am delighted to hear that you have welcomed another child into your family and I am honoured that he shares my name. I did not know your world's Severus Snape for very long but I do not doubt that he would be silently pleased and touched to know that you named one of your children after him.

It is a funny thing though Lily has just recently given birth to our own firstborn son. Stranger still is that we both thought of you when we saw our precious boy, Lily has grown up hearing about your adventures and we have both come to regard you as a close friend even though you are far away. Lily told me that she has always liked the name (I guess you feel like an old friend of the family like a distant uncle) so we decided Harry Severus Snape after you, I hope it will be a fitting reminder of the friendship that we have shared as well as to your own Snape, his memory lives on through all of us and connects us all. I sense that he will inherit his Mother's fiery red hair as well as her green eyes just like you although hopefully not her fiery temper. Lily has already been teasing me saying that he has my hands and my nose, Merlin help him if he's already got a nose like mine!

We have already asked Scott if he would be willing to act as Godfather to young Harry as there are few people who we would trust more and he has been a close friend for many years. He was honoured that we would think of him and was only too happy to accept. He congratulated us on our new addition and promised that he would visit to meet his new godson before he heads out on his next plant hunting expedition to the far east.

To Sev,

Hope you are well. So much has happened since we last spoke, the children seem to be growing up so fast, Lily is growing up to be a bright, bubbly and happy young girl like her mother and no doubt my mother before that, she idolises her brothers and they both dote on her. James has settled well into life at Hogwarts and is already in his 2nd year, he appears to be happy, confident and popular. Then there's Severus, well he grows more into his name every day. In fact, it is because of Severus that I am writing to you, he is somewhat quiet and introverted, a very thoughtful young boy but you see he has always been fascinated by his namesakes. Truthfully all of my children enjoy hearing me recount stories about our Severus Snape and about our adventures together and I for my part am happy to oblige if only to deflect the attention away from my own childhood adventures but Severus, in particular, has always appeared particularly fascinated and always asks me to tell him the stories again and tell me more about you.

It's strange he has always been fascinated by his namesake, I still remember when he was little more than a baby I found him in my office and discovered that he had somehow managed to get into Severus' things and retrieve his wand quite how I'm not sure since I placed it somewhere that was safe and out of reach where he shouldn't have been able to access it but somehow he did and was sat on the floor engulfed in one of his old black robes and surrounded by his things fingering his wand with fascination. I tried to pick him up and put everything away but he clung on to that old robe much like he did his old childhood blanket and refused to let go, I think he must have found its feel and its scent quite soothing.

In the end, I sat him on my lap wrapped up in that old robe and told him all about our Severus (he has since claimed it as his own and finds the herbal smell quite reassuring). I tried to explain why he couldn't play with his wand since it could be quite dangerous and yet no matter how hard I tried to hide it from him he always seemed to be able to find it, fortunately, he was always very careful with it and was never interested in doing any real magic beyond pretending to cast spells, he always fingered it lovingly like it was an old friend, eventually when he was old enough to understand I agreed that he could keep it but not before I sat him down again, I showed him some old photos and told him Severus story as I had done many times before and explained to him how important it was that he never tried to do any real magic with it, he gave me his word that he wouldn't and I could tell that he would take good care of it and treasure it. One day when he's old enough I'll show him some of mine and Severus' memories in the pensive, however, I am not sure that he is ready for some of them quite yet.

Over the years he has grown and changed a lot, he has an album full of photos of his family and of Severus both as an adult and a child and I sense that he has always strived unconsciously to look like Severus although perhaps that is partially because he is quite shy and likes to hide behind his long hair. It's funny he used to cry and object strongly when we mentioned taking him to have his hair cut until we relented and allowed him to grow long. He likes it long, he is intelligent but also very quiet and thoughtful like you and our Severus, like all the Potter men before him he has had to adjust to wearing glasses which I think quite suit him not that you can really see them behind all of that hair but his dark green eyes still shine with the same fierce intensity that I used to see in your eyes. He is fascinated by potions and charms, he reads voraciously about them and is always asking if I will help him brew some simple potions, he can't wait until he starts at school and I have little doubt that he will be an excellent brewer one day much like my Mum, no doubt Professor Snape would also be pleased since I didn't inherit her natural talent. I still have some things that belonged to Severus that I would like to pass on to him when he starts at Hogwarts.

He asked me recently if he could write to you in my journal to ask you some questions and get to know you better. I am keen to encourage this as he cannot meet you face to face. I thought he might enjoy the correspondence but I thought I'd best see what you thought first.

To Harry,

it is good to hear from you again. You are quite right, time flies, I can't believe how quickly Harry has grown up either, it seems like only yesterday we were celebrating their birth. I can tell you that Harry is equally fascinated by you, I'm just glad he won't have to grow up with that same burden on his shoulders, he can simply enjoy being a kid with a loving family, something we both missed out on somewhat.

I remember reading your adventures with Lily and Scott enthralled by my side, Harry is just the same and loves for me to read him the stories, he is also fascinated to hear about another worlds version of me particularly since our lives took such different paths. Truth be told, I think Harry idolises you, he certainly loves re-enacting your adventures, the young daredevil that he is, he's very imaginative and curious and he has a knack for getting himself into trouble much like Lilly did at that age. He is always interested to watch us working on brewing new potions and healing people, he always wants to help us with brewing and tries to copy what we're doing when we're using healing charms which at least keep him quiet and out of trouble for a short while, I suspect that he has also inherited our joined talents for brewing.

He has changed a lot the past few years. He has fiery red hair like his Mother although it is turning a darker rusty red, like your Severus he likes to grow his hair long till it hides most of his face although I suspect that he is merely copying me in that respect. He also has his Mother's kind, compassionate heart and her bright green eyes, they shine with life and energy.

He has also been asking me increasingly about you, he is full of questions and I think that he would love the chance to write to you. In fact, I had an idea of my own when I read your last letter, I wondered if we could not alter the charms to allow our sons to access our journals and use them as a way to correspond with each other, I'm sure that they would both enjoy each other's company as much as we have enjoyed having the chance to write to each other over these past years, it would give them both someone to confide in and it may actually be better if they ask each other any questions they may have about us.

I think passing some of Professor Snape's things on to your son when he starts at Hogwarts would be a good idea, there may be some good quality supplies that he would appreciate, although I think that it may be best to wait until he gets sorted first to avoid any awkwardness. It will be interested to see where our boys end up, with a Slytherin and a Gryffindor for parents, the results will be interesting to say the least, personally, I suspect Harry's bravery will land him in Gryffindor or perhaps Hufflepuff, although I gather that Slytherin has settled down a lot and is a much less hostile environment than when I was growing up.
The End.