Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 1
Severus Snape was feeling distinctly irritated this morning. It was the start of a new year and he'd just had the unenviable pleasure of watching Potter junior aka the brat who lived get sorted into Gryffindor following in the footsteps of his parents the previous evening, and now the boy had gone missing. He hadn't been seen in the Great hall at breakfast time and according to Professor McGonagall he had not been seen since his new friend the youngest Weasley had left him getting ready in the dorm, they had expected he would meet them in time for their first lesson but, worryingly there was still no sign of the boy. A thorough search of the Gryffindor common room and dorms had turned up no sign of him so now all the teachers had been put on high alert and were searching the castle from top to bottom.

He was starting on the lower floors, and he was annoyed it was typical Potter that after less than a day he was already disrupting his classes by pulling some sort of stunt attention-seeking celebrity that he was just like his father but even by his standards this had to be some kind of new record, and yet he couldn't quiet that niggling voice in the back of his head that insisted something didn't fit with that picture.

He'd observed him discreetly last night noting how small and pale he looked and how his eyes had widened to the size of saucers at the sight of all the rich food in front of him, stuffing his face with atrocious table manners as though he'd never seen a decent meal before and was afraid someone would snatch the food from under his nose. at first he'd thought it was merely his relatives spoiling him and failing to instil any proper table manners in the brat but reflecting on it he wasn't so certain. If he was truly like his father he would have come strutting into the hall this morning like he owned the place, heck even if he was ill he would have put on an act in front of everyone and wanted a fuss made of him and yet there was no sign of him.

He would never admit it but, the boy reminded him of himself at that age and that worried him, he had not exactly had the best childhood. He remembered his first feast and being violently sick afterwards, he had not been used to so much rich food heck he was not even used to being served a decent nutritious meal if he was being brutally honest. He had found a quiet bathroom to use, too embarrassed to seek help and too disgusted with himself to let anyone see him in such a state.

With that thought suddenly in his head, he ran in the direction of the nearest boys bathroom, black robes billowing behind him hoping his hunch was right. He carefully opened the door stepping in and looking around, calling out the boy's name. No reply, no sign of anyone retching, a positive sign? Then he spotted something dark sprawled on the floor. "Potter!" he barked out as he walked cautiously across to investigate, casting a Lumos and hoping that his usual stern, intimidating voice would snap him out of his stupor and disguise the rising feeling of dread inside him.

Damn no response! He quickened his pace before stopping and looking down at the boy sprawled in front of him all feelings of hatred disappearing into shock and concern as he quickly knelt beside him performing a diagnostic scan with his wand. As he waited impatiently for the results he looked him over, noting that he was barely breathing and had a worryingly pale, almost grey tone to his skin.

Finally, the results were ready, he read the parchment with increasing concern. This was not good: malnourished and stunted growth, multiple infected open wounds, possibly several broken or fractured bones, and significant blood loss. All telltale indicators of abuse but most worrying was the fact that all his vital signs appeared to be fading rapidly and the signature from his magical core was incredibly faint, no doubt his magical energy had been spent just trying to keep him alive.

Thinking quickly, he summoned his Patronus "quickly find the other teachers and Poppy, tell them I found Potter and he needs medical treatment urgently!" he watched as his Patronus bowed its head before gracefully turning and galloping off, splitting itself into several copies as it exited the room. As he tries to think what he can do for the boy a sudden thought occurs to him, he summons his Patronus again he speaks to it urgently "find Albus, tell him Potter's in trouble he needs to bring the stone urgently!"

He tried to stop the rising dread inside of him as he turned his attention back to the boy. It would do him no good to panic when the boy so desperately needed his help, unfortunately, he simply wasn't sure what if anything he could do to save him when he was this far gone. Concentrate Severus, he told himself, pull yourself together and remember your medi wizard training, think through what you know you can do for him and for goodness sake breathe! He paced back and forth for a minute before he managed to calm himself and clear his head and set to it working swiftly and efficiently. He remembered a charm Poppy taught him that would help ease his breathing, regulate his heart rate and cast it over the boy along with a few others to try to stabilize him.

Carefully he lifted the boy and adjusted himself so he's sitting with him in his lap. He was glad now that he decided to fetch his shrunken medical kit with his supply of emergency potions although he had been anticipating that he'd be giving him a simple stomach soother not vital life-saving potions he thought as he set out the potions casting Engorgio on them all. He decided it would be safer to spell the potions directly into him instead of worrying about him potentially choking on them in his unconscious state as he uncorked a blood replenisher and fever reducer.

He'd done all he could think of to help him. He allowed himself to breathe and finally took a good look at the boy, Lily's son, so this was the child he'd pledged to protect. God's teeth he resembled his father with his glasses and messy hair but that was where the resemblance ended he realised with a start, up close he saw there was so much of Lily in his face. He'd been all set to hate him but how could he hate such a vulnerable boy, a child who truth be told reminded him much more of himself as a child than his arrogant spoilt brat of a father. He felt so frail in his arms he thought, noting with concern how light and cold he felt pressed against him, emaciated to the point where he could feel his bones jutting out.

Summoning a blanket, he wraps it gently around him as he cradles the boy in his arms supporting his head and massaging his hand trying to return some warmth and circulation to him.

What had his supposedly loving family been doing to leave him in such a state? The family that had been trusted to keep him safe, yet it looked like they'd taken pleasure in beating and starving the life out of him. He cursed himself why had he allowed himself to be so stubborn and caught up in his own emotions, so blinded by his past that it hadn't occurred to him to take a more active interest in the boy to check he was safe, he supposed he'd always been happy in his ignorance assuming that he would be spoilt rotten like his father, dreading the day when he would have to face him and all that he represented. He forced himself to take a deep breath to steady himself and calm his emotions, he would deal with the family later for now saving Lily's boy had to be his priority.

The panic inside of him rose up further as he felt the life ebbing out of him more quickly than he could repair it "Harry? Stay with me Harry please" he pleaded.

He felt so weak and sleepy, his Aunt and Uncle had been making him suffer more than normal for his magic the past weeks since the strange giant of a man called Hagrid had shown up and taken him to buy his school supplies. Said supplies had been promptly locked away and since then he'd endured more beatings than normal and barely enough food, he'd spent the rest of the holidays trapped in his cupboard only being dragged out at regular intervals to do chores or endure more beatings.

Often he felt like giving up but he kept fighting through the pain determined to make it to Hogwarts to be a Wizard just like his Mum and Dad. He'd done it, he'd made it, he'd been so relieved to finally get on the Hogwarts Express where he could rest for a while and then at last to Hogwarts to be sorted but the last day had been too much for his tired bruised body. He was amazed that he'd woken from that first glorious deep sleep in a real bed but he had managed to get up on dead limbs, roused by his new friend Ron. His friend, his first real friend who didn't think of him as a freak, that made him smile to think of that as he'd stumbled out after him and tried to make it down to the hall, he'd tried his best but he'd told his friend that he'd catch him up and had found himself lost and weak, unable to carry on he had stumbled blindly into the bathroom collapsing on the floor into a blissful deep sleep.

Everything had felt so heavy he hadn't been able to rouse himself. All he wanted to do was let sleep overtake him but now, he heard a voice coming from far away calling his name. It sounded soft and familiar and it felt comforting "Dad?" he wondered out loud, confused, something about that didn't fit, he couldn't remember his parents' faces or their voices, well not really, but at that moment he didn't care. He was massaging his body, it felt so good distracting him from the overwhelming pain, he couldn't remember anyone comforting him like this before. He tried to open his eyes to focus on the voice, he wanted to see his Dad.

Severus was beginning to give up hope when suddenly he heard his soft faint voice. Dad? He'd called him Dad? He must be confused, he'd never been anyone's Dad, he a former Death Eater certainly didn't deserve that honour. Then again, the boy most likely didn't remember his parents much, maybe just this once he could make amends, if it gave him some comfort "I ... I'm not your real Dad you know that right? but I can be if you'd like me to, son" he said softly, hesitantly, brushing his hair aside trying not to think how much he looked like his father as the green eyes blinked open.

Harry struggled to open his eyes and focus on the face that must be his Dad "it hurts Dad" he moaned, while his vision settled. His Dad wasn't what he was expecting. He looked somehow familiar, though he couldn't place where he knew him. His face was long and pale framed by long curtains of black hair and dark sad eyes that looked down at him with concern.

He watched as the boy opened his green eyes, taking him in. Pain? Of course, he was in pain, he thought feeling like an idiot, if he could do nothing else for him he can at least make sure the boy's not in pain "it's alright I know, I'll make it better I promise" he says soothingly running a hand gently over his forehead mopping away the cold sweat, he rummaged through the collection he'd laid out "Harry, here drink this son" The boy obliges and he helps him by tilting his head back and carefully pouring it down, he grimaces at the taste but, doesn't resist "good boy, I know it doesn't taste nice but, it'll help with the pain I promise" he soothes rubbing his back.

Minerva McGonagall is still searching when she sees Severus's Patronus bounding gracefully towards her, she listens to the message before hurriedly following it back to the bathroom. She hears Poppy's footsteps close behind her as she reaches the door, they freeze in the doorway, shocked by the sight that greets them as the other heads of house catch up to them. She's surprised to see Severus sitting with the child cradled in his lap. Something about the scene warms her heart while at the same time leaving her fearing the worst. Using her finely-tuned animagus hearing she can just hear the soft words exchanged between them and is more than a little surprised to hear Harry calling him Dad even more so when he replies by calling him son, soothing him and offering him a potion.

They approached carefully, quietly coming to stand next to him. Startled he looks up at them sensing the silent question on her lips is he going to be ok? He shakes his head sadly, a tear in his eye, his expression says it all no, he's not going to make it he's too far gone, I don't know enough to heal him in time she looks away sadly trying not to cry. Poppy hugged her, resting her head against her shoulder, sharing her grief before turning back to the pair and putting on her professional face. She spots the parchment and the pain-relieving potion and summons the parchment, reading it with growing concern.

She kneels next to him "Harry, I'm the nurse, can I look at you?" she says, trying to move him closer to her.

"No I want to stay with my Dad, don't make me leave him!" he cries, resisting and flailing his thin limbs about, clearly upset.

She looks at Severus "Poppy let him stay with him, he appears to have formed an emotional bond and clearly feels safe with him" Minerva intervenes, she looks up and nods her agreement.

"Ok Harry, it's alright we won't move you, let's just adjust you though so I can get a better look at you, ok?" he looks up at her through his tears and nods, they adjust him so she can get a better look at him and she quickly checks him over. She notes with approval Severus's handy work and adds some more complicated charms to try to heal any damage she can and make him more comfortable before standing shaking her head, realizing with shock that he's been left in this state for too long for even her healing skills to have much effect.

"Harry, why didn't you come to find us and get help? We could have healed you sooner if we'd known" he admonishes gently, not wanting to admit to him that they probably can't help him now.

Harry looks back up at him remembering what his Aunt and Uncle told him, they warned him what would happen if he told anyone how they treated him but if this is his Dad he'd protect him right? He decides to take a chance, after all, he's helped him so far "they said I was a freak, I did bad things so I deserved to be punished and I didn't deserve to be healed. They said bad things would happen to me if I told anyone and that no one else would want a worthless freak like me"

The adults all gasp in shock at this. Severus struggles to contain the anger that's rising inside of him until he feels a hand on his shoulder, he looks up and sees Minerva looking down at him, they did this to him, the muggles, his relatives, she nods eyes burning I knew we shouldn't have left him with those people.

He nods back breathing, composing himself. "Harry, they were wrong, you're not a freak and there are loads of people who would have provided you with a real loving home, who told you such horrible lies? You should have told us we would have healed you"

"Aunt Petunia and Uncle Dursley, they punish me when I'm bad, they don't like when I do weird things, they beat the magic out of me and Dudley and his friends beat me up" he admits feeling embarrassed. Severus looks at him still in shock, I knew it, of course, I should have guessed it was Tooney, she always hated me and Lily and called us freaks when we were kids, Albus never should have left him with her, he shakes his head sadly.

Harry watches him with distress as he realises he's crying. He reaches out a hand to his face "What's wrong Dad? Don't cry" he asks, his voice full of concern.

Severus looks at him in shock that he's upset at his tears "we shouldn't have left you there, we should have checked on you, we could have rescued you sooner if we'd known"

"It's alright you didn't know, you're here now, you've saved me, look no more pain" he smiles weakly.

Severus tries to smile back sadly at that "no son it's not alright, what they did to you, it's abuse and it's not acceptable. We should have checked you were ok, we could have saved you a long time ago. I'm so sorry. Your Aunt hated me and your Mum when we were kids, she always called us freaks, I should have fought against you being placed there"

Harry looks at him eyes wide in shock "you knew my Aunt and my Mum?" he asks.

"Yes I did, your Mum was my first and best friend, she used to call me Sev. She was amazing, the first person I knew who could do magic other than me and my Mum, she was so beautiful and pure" he says smiling fondly as he recalls her.

"Sev" he says, testing the sound of the name, "I like that, can I call you Sev?" he enquires.

He smiles back at Harry "yes you can call me Sev, I'd like that. You remind me of her, you have her eyes, her smile and her kind heart " he says looking down at him thoughtfully, ruffling his hair gently.

"I do? I don't remember them" he says looking down sadly "would you tell me about them, Dad?" he asks hopefully.

"No, I suppose you don't. Yes, I'll tell you. Your real Dad was called James, we didn't get on but he was very brave and I know that he loved you a lot. Your Mum was the kindest person I knew, she was brave and determined like you she was the one person who made me feel special and complete"

"What did they look like?"

"You've never seen a photo of them?" he asked in astonishment, Harry shook his head.

"While your father looked a lot like you, he was considered to be very good looking, and he had messy hair and glasses. Your mother was truly beautiful though, she had fiery red hair that seemed to glow like gold when it caught the light and she had the most brilliant vibrant emerald green eyes just like yours, and her smile could bring light to even the darkest day" he pauses thinking "hang on, I think I've got something here you'll like" as he undos the top buttons on his robes and shirt and reaches down, bringing out a metal locket on a chain around his neck, it shines like silver, engraved with delicate flowing lines over the cover. He slips it over his neck and drops it carefully into his hands. Harry examines it in awe, tracing the patterns with his fingers, carefully he presses a catch on it opening it so Harry can see the two pictures inside, the two of them standing together outside Lily's house proudly trying on their new school robes looking excited with big smiles on their faces and their first photo taken together at Hogwarts still looking happy after being sorted the best of friends. Harry gazes in awe at the photos, reaching out to touch them, the strange pale boy with dark hair and intense dark eyes and the girl with fiery red hair and green eyes so much like his own.

"That's her, my Mum? And you Sev?" he nods.

Harry makes to give the locket back, Sev shakes his head pressing it into his hands " no keep it" "really?" he asks astonished "really it's yours, Harry, I want you to have it" he says gently taking the chain and slipping it over his neck "thanks Dad, sorry I mean Sev, it's beautiful"

Sev smiles "you know your Mum was good at potions and charms, we used to like spending time together brewing potions" he says wistfully.

Harry looks at him in awe "I heard someone mention that" he frowns, the mention of potions triggers something, and it clicks where he remembers the man from now "I know you, you're my potions teacher, right? Professor …"

He smiles at Harry "Professor Snape, Severus Snape Harry, and yes you're correct I do teach potions."

Harry absorbs this then looks disappointed, Sev notices and looks at him with concern "Harry? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's just that I was really looking forward to my first potions class. I wanted to be good at potions and charm like my Mum. I was hoping to show you how good I was and that you'd like me and want to teach me how to do it properly but the Dursleys locked my stuff away so I couldn't study" he says looking disappointed and embarrassed.

He listens his face clouding with anger, he shakes his head trying to suppress it. He sees Harry struggling again to remain awake, he gently shakes him by the shoulder trying to rouse him "Harry stay with me son, you'll miss my famous potions lecture if you fall asleep now" he says teasing him.

Harry rouses at that "I tried Dad, I tried to hold on and be strong. I really wanted to hold on so I could be a Wizard just like you and Mum and Dad and be good at potions and charms like Mum but it was too much and I wasn't strong enough" he says weakly resting his head back against him.

"I know son, I know it's alright, you've done well, my brave boy, we're all proud of you" Sev says soothing him and running a hand through his hair and across his forehead.

"Dad?" "Yes, Harry?" "Will you tell me your lecture? I want to hear it Sev"

"Of course son I'll tell it specially for you, I think you'll like it" he says repeating his standard first-year lecture, despite his exhaustion, Harry listens, entranced, mesmerized by his intense dark eyes, his soft tones and magically enthralling way of speaking, imagining all the beautiful potions.

"Now then how about I test your knowledge, would you like that? Then you can show me how clever you are" he asks, hoping that a few questions will help him focus his mind and keep him with him a few minutes longer.

Harry nods managing a weak smile "I'll try Dad I don't know if I'm very clever though, I always had to pretend to be dumb so I didn't get higher marks than my cousin"

"It's alright son, things will be different now, you can just concentrate on learning and having fun and if you don't get it all that's ok, just try your best, I'll be proud of you no matter what" he promises "now then can you tell me what I would get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" he asks.

Harry ponders this for a minute, he's sure he's read it but his head feels fuzzy "uh hang on, I'm not sure. I think is it the Draught of the Living Death, sir?" he asks nervously.

Sev looks at him in surprise, so clearly he's had a chance to do some reading, he smiles "that's right and it's a very powerful sleeping potion. It reminds me of your mother" Harry looks at him in wonder "Asphodel is a type of Lily and it represents mourning and love that endures beyond death and Wormwood represents sorrowful parting because even the best of friends must say farewell" he explains trying not to think of how his thoughtless actions caused him to lose his friendship with Lily and how her life was cut so painfully short. He had been almost tempted to overdose on that very potion when he heard of her death. "I will tell you another one as well, white lilies represent purity and innocence and it is said they flower on the graves of those who have been unjustly killed"

Harry looks at him in shock "really Sev is that true?"

He smirks knowingly "yes I know that it is true, I have seen the flowers on your parents grave" he doesn't bother to tell him that he has cast the enchantment himself that ensures that lilies will always grow gracefully around her grave, a different kind of pure white lily for each season. "Now then do you know where you'd look for a Bezoar?" he asks, curious to see how he'll do with this one.

Again he thinks for a minute, he's sure he's seen this one, he remembered it was quite interesting and a little bit disgusting "oh I remember this one, isn't it a stone that you can find in a goat's stomach, it has something to do with poisons right?" he enquires looking up eagerly.

Sev laughs amused at his excitement "that's right you can extract a bezoar from the stomach of a goat and use it to cure most poisons. Now then one last one for you, what's the difference between Monkshood and Wolfsbane?" he asks, wondering if this will catch him out.

Harry looks at him, he thinks back to the book he thinks they may be the same, he studies his impassive face wondering if he's this is some kind of trick question "uh aren't they the same plant, I think they may be related to Aconite"

He looks down at him impressed, not bad to say he's not been able to study over the holidays, he thinks that with the right encouragement he might have made a good brewer like his Mum, he feels sadness as he realises he'll never get the chance to teach him and nurture that talent.

"That's right and yes Aconite is another name for them. You'll make a fine brewer one day with that kind of knowledge, your Mother would be proud of you as am I"

Harry's face lights up "really you mean that?!"

He nods smiling "I do and trust me I don't give out praise lightly"

He senses him fading again and looks up at Minerva, she senses it and kneels next to him so Harry can see her face "Harry?" she enquires gently.

He looks across at her, smiling as he recognizes her face "Professor?!"

"Yes, Harry" she smiles back.

"I'm glad you're here Professor, I'm sorry if I missed your class I didn't want to let you down"

"Don't worry, it is alright child you didn't let anyone down Harry. I'm glad I'm here with you too" she agrees.

"You mean that?"

"Yes I do, I remember your parents and Severus fondly, he and your mother always seemed to end up getting into some mischief together while your father was always trying to win her affections" she says sincerely.

"Can you see him to? The Professor he's my Dad now, he's a good Dad right? He made me feel better"

She smiles with amusement, glancing across at Severus, who flushes looking embarrassed. "Yes Harry I can see, I've never doubted that Severus would make a good Dad, I've tried to tell him as much myself, I can see how much he cares about you as do I" he reaches out his small arms to her and she leans over wrapping her long thin arms carefully around him and hugging him.

"I'm glad you're here, promise you won't leave me" he whispers into her ear.

"I won't, I promise, I'll be right here with you" she says slowly, letting him lean back into Severus' arms and holding one of his small hands gently in her own.

At this moment they feel a rush of wind from above them and hear a shrill cry, they look up to see Fawkes the magnificent flame red and shining gold colours of the Phoenix glistening as he circles above them. He flies in increasingly lower circles until at last, he releases something, dropping it carefully into his lap away from Harry. Startled Severus picks it up, unwrapping the heavy bundle as the Phoenix lands nearby. It's the stone, the stone that Nicholas Flamel has used to create his elixir of life. He wonders if it will work on Harry, realizing the error in his earlier thinking. It needs to be prepared so he can brew the elixir of life before it can restore life to the boy and now there is not enough time, he silently curses himself for not thinking of that.

Harry feels exhausted from all the exertion of staying awake and talking and feels himself fading, the pull of the dark and the voices of his parents, his Mum and his other Dad calling him stronger than ever. He tries in vain to resist. He sees the bright feathers of the bird and reaches out stroking it mesmerized by the beautiful glistening colours, the bird appears to enjoy his touch rubbing its head gently against him.

"Harry stay with me son" Sev shakes him gently again realizing that his time's running out.

"I'm trying Dad, I can't hold on much longer" he looks at his Dad's face noticing he's crying he seems so sad, he doesn't like seeing him sad and distressed "Dad what's wrong? Don't cry Dad, it's alright" he says trying to lift a hand to his face.

"I'm sorry Harry I'm just thinking how much I'm going to miss you, I barely know you but I don't want to lose you, son. I'm truly sorry, I should have saved you sooner" he says sadly looking away, he was powerless to save Lily, and now he's powerless to save her son who he'd sworn to protect.

"It's alright Dad don't be sad, look you saved me now, you took away the pain, I've never had someone take care of me like that. I'm going to miss you to Dad but look I'm going to see my other Mum and Dad, I can hear them now, they're calling me now, it's alright they're proud of me"

He pauses "do you love me, Dad?"

He looks at him through his tears trying to compose himself, he looks directly into his beautiful green eyes "Harry I love you, I could not love you any more if you were my own son and I couldn't be more proud of you, you are a very brave boy" he says stroking his cheek softly.

"Dad?" he says resting his head against his chest and nestling into his soft black robes, smelling the calming aroma of dried herbs emanating from him.

"Yes, Harry?"

"Promise you won't let me go, you'll stay with me till the end Dad, I don't want to be alone anymore" he asks nervously, his voice fading.

He hugs his small body pressing him gently up closer to him caressing him "I promise son, I will always be here with you, I'm not leaving you not now, not ever, not now that I've found you at last"

"Thanks, Sev. Love you Dad" he whispers with his last dying breath as his life force leaves him.

"Love you to Harry, my son" he whispers as he feels the last of his life slip away and his body flops limply in his arms. He hugs him to his chest cradling him and allows the tears to flow freely into his messy black hair, releasing so many years of pent up emotions, who would have imagined he could care so much for one small boy. He has had a brief taste of what it is like to be a father to look after Lily's son and give him the love and care he so desperately needed. He could have had a son, could have raised him as his own and now … now he's gone and he never wants to let him go. He hates himself right now as he thinks guiltily how needless his death is and how it could have been prevented if he'd known how he was suffering if he had just taken an interest and not allowed himself to be so blind.

Fawkes leans over the boy shedding a single tear, even that is not enough to heal him now, he joins the man's cries with his shrill call echoing through the castle, throughout the castle students and staff pause as the call cuts through the air sensing a great tragedy has occurred.
Chapter End Notes:
See To turn Back Time for alternative ending