Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6
worn out and the castle was in a state of disarray and it would take some time to create a room for him and indeed Harry if they were going to be staying at the castle for the immediate future. Severus however did insist on Harry staying with him as unsurprisingly he did not want to wake up on his own, particularly in the decidedly strange and clinical setting of the hospital.

To Severus's delight Poppy ordered a mug of hot chocolate for him, it was his first experience of the beverage and the sweet drink was an instant hit. She laced it with a few drops of a mild sleeping draught as she suspected he might suffer from nightmares after such a traumatic experience while Harry related an amended version of his first journey to Hogwarts after discovering he was a wizard. Before too long he was nodding off and Harry tucked him in before running a hand through his hair and along his cheek affectionately amazed by how he already felt such strong feelings for the young boy.

He settled down to sleep in a second bed that had been set up next to Sev's and hoped for a quiet night. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be as he was woken a few hours later by the sound of screaming. He blearily opened his eyes and turned over trying to determine the source of the noise before he remembered the events of the previous day causing him to wake with a start, he looked over at Severus whose face was contorted in pain and fear he thrashed around the bed moaning and whimpering as though scared.

Harry rushed to his side trying his best to gently wake him from whatever nightmare he was suffering. It wasn't that easy though as the dream had a strong hold on him and it took several attempts at calling his name and gently shaking him before he actually woke up.

He was pale and clammy and looked terrified. Slowly he looked at him in confusion "Harry?" he asked him in a strange way as though remembering him from somewhere else. Poppy soon joined him and looked over him with concern, he shouldn't have been waking up with nightmares after the sleeping draught she'd put in his drink.

"Hush, it's alright I'm here see, it was just a nightmare, you're safe now" he assured him looking around for a cloth to wipe his brow which was now damp with sweat as he looked at him feverishly.

"Was a snake and a man laughing with red eyes" he told him, clearly traumatised by the dream.

"It's alright it was just a dream" Harry reassured him gathering the still scared and shaking boy into his arms to comfort him.

"Felt so real, he hissed like a snake, then he ordered one to attack me, was like I could feel it" he insisted leaning into him for comfort.

"I know, it's ok it was just a dream, he can't hurt you" Harry told him, rubbing his back soothingly, although truthfully he was more than a little unnerved by the content of the nightmare and wondered if it was really just a dream or something more sinister surfacing.

"You're sure?" he asked worriedly.

"Yes, I'm sure he's gone, he can't hurt you. Now then how about I see if the elves will bring you up a glass of warm milk with a bit of honey?" he looked at him blearily before nodding. Harry summoned a House Elf who brought the milk for him. They sat together on the bed while he sipped the milk, when he was a bit calmer he decided to ask him something "Sev was that the first time you'd seen that man?"

"No, I saw him before in the shack before you came for me" he said sleepily, "why?"

"No reason, I was just curious, try not to think about him ok?" he nodded " think about something happy, like all the nice people you've met and finding out you're at Hogwarts" he smiled dreamily "now then what say we try and get some sleep now?"

The boy looked at him drowsily "you won't leave me?" he asked nervously.

"No, I'll be right here to chase away the monsters, if that man comes then I'll get rid of him" Harry promised.

He nodded "ok I'll try" and allowed Harry to tuck him in and sit with him until he drifted off again.

Severus continued to be plagued by bad dreams although he did not thrash or scream as much as before Harry was still aware of him muttering and whimpering in his sleep. He tried to soothe him by rubbing his back and whispering comforting words but nothing seemed to work so eventually he decided the best plan was to scoop him up and place him in his own bed where he seemed to settle slightly, seeming more content with the human contact. He allowed him to snuggle up to his side, grateful that they might both get some rest at last.

After a long and somewhat restless night, Harry and Hermione decided that while Severus was in their care that a trip to Diagon Alley would be in order seeing as how he only had the pyjamas and clothes that had been shrunk down to fit him and the castle was ill-equipped to entertain such a young child (although quite frankly it wasn't in much state to entertain anyone until more repairs had been carried out) it would also provide a much-needed distraction and give them both the chance to spoil him just a little bit. After shrinking some more muggle clothes and applying some glamours to subtly change their appearance and notice me not charms on Harry and Hermione, so they wouldn't get mobbed by the wizarding public and press they were ready to go and they walked across the grounds to the boundary and apparated a way to a quiet side street with Sev huddled tightly to Harry's chest as he experienced the unfamiliar and slightly nauseating feeling of being squeezed through a tube.

After checking that he was alright and giving him one of the stomach soothers that Poppy had provided him with they emerged onto a busy street opposite a big muggle department store, Hermione took the lead with Severus looking apprehensively at the big store. Harry sympathised with him, the Dursleys had pretty much gone out of their way to avoid buying him new clothes or taking him anywhere that he could be seen in public for that matter and clothes shopping had hardly been top of his priorities in all the years since he'd started at Hogwarts.

He gave Sev's shoulder a reassuring squeeze as they stood on the threshold and knelt to whisper to him "I know this is all a bit overwhelming but it's ok this is all new to me as well, let's go find Hermione before she gets to carried away" he stood up offering his hand as Sev looked up at him in a new light before accepting his hand. "Come on, we're men, shopping may be tough but we can endure this together" he told him teasingly.

He kept a close eye on him as they followed Hermione through the store watching as he looked around him in fascination as though he'd never been in a store like this. They soon arrived at the children's section and Sev looked around in amazement, this was a world away from the mismatched, ill-fitting second-hand clothes his mother bought him. It was all a bit much and he didn't know where to start, there was all manner of brightly coloured clothing and t-shirts adorned with unfamiliar cartoon characters. There were shirts, shorts, and trousers in all manner of different colours and styles, there was a whole section devoted just to jeans. It was a world away from the old worn and often ill-fitting clothes his mother had been forced to buy from the local thrift shop.

Fortunately, Hermione had it in hand and before he knew it she had gathered a whole pile of clothes together for him, always asking his opinion, he mutely agreed to whatever was placed in front of him. These clothes were much nicer than anything he was used to wearing. Luckily, she seemed to know what she was doing and smiled kindly at him before holding the garments up against him with a professional eye, dismissing those which were no good. The one consolation was that Harry ended up with a similar, smaller pile of clothes and true to his word he did seem almost as lost as Sev.

A few shops later, and with the addition of some nice coats and shoes, he began to feel like he might actually end up looking like a normal boy kitted out in his new wardrobe instead of some strange misfit. The adults shrunk their purchases before they headed into Diagonal Alley and their final stop for clothes was at Madam Malkins, even though he was a bit tired of clothes shopping this was probably the most exciting stop so far as he'd finally get his first set of wizarding robes. He was led to a stool where he was measured by a magic tape measure which tickled him under the arms and around his chest as it took its measurements in all manner of strange places, after that he was allowed to look through the different fabrics and colours and pick out the ones he liked best while the ladies discussed different options. His favourites were a rich emerald green and a deep royal blue. In addition to his new robes, they also bought him some additional clothes namely some pyjamas and t-shirts with animated designs.

By this point, they'd noticed that he was beginning to flag a bit and decided it would be an appropriate point to stop for lunch. Many of the shops were boarded up and Harry felt a pang as they walked past The Weasley's shop which was still closed, he thought of George, who must still be grieving the death of his twin. It had hit them all hard but he hoped that George would not give up on his dream, the world needed their laughter and creative genius right now. . Unfortunately, many of the smaller establishments had been damaged or forced to close during the war and the lack of choices meant the best choice was the Leaky Cauldron. Fortunately, for them, it was still fairly quiet as people gradually returned to normal life after the war.

After a hearty lunch, they made their way to the next stop, in a quiet corner of the alley was tucked away the most incredibly fantastical wizarding toy shop. Harry encouraged Sev to go in ahead of them, he stopped in amazement, looking around the toy store with wide eyes full of wonder at the amazing displays. Everywhere you looked magical toys were being demonstrated, there was a tabletop battlefield set up with an assortment of knights, wizards, warlocks, and druids doing battle against each other, there was a magnificent castle with a perfectly detailed train running loops around it puffing up little clouds of steam before disappearing through a tunnel, there was a whole corner dedicated to all manner of magically animated toys and the air was full of an assortment of flying toys. Dragons divebombed the battlefield unleashing puffs of magical but harmless fire, and miniature quidditch players from all different teams whizzed around the store smiling and waving as they wove their way around the customers as they engaged in an aerial game of chase.

Sev didn't know what to make of this store and slowly started walking around in stunned amazement, he'd never experienced anything even remotely like this before in fact he hadn't really had any toys to speak of growing up. His father had always got angry when he'd asked, saying that he wasn't spending his hard earned cash on frivolities such as toys and that children like him didn't deserve toys. This store was bright and full of sounds and flashing lights and things to catch the eye everywhere you looked and quite frankly it was more than a bit overwhelming.

Harry and Hermione shared a smile at his stunned reaction and Harry went to walk with Sev while Hermione silently conjured a basket.

Harry tried to encourage Sev to indicate which toys he liked but years of having to hide his emotions had left him nervous and a master of schooling his expressions. Harry soon realised that Severus would not actively point out which toys he wanted and that he would simply have to keep a close eye on him and watch for the subtle signs when he would reach out tentatively for a toy only to recoil his hand as though he'd been scolded or his eyes would linger longing on a certain toy before adopting a resigned expression and moving on. He subtly kept track of which toys he was drawn to and would turn to Hermione following them who would discreetly add the chosen item to their basket without Sev noticing. They also made a note of some of the toys so that they could come back and buy some things to put away for his birthday and Christmas.

Their first stop was to admire the model trains, he could see the amazement in the young eyes at the magnificently detailed trains running through the carefully crafted landscapes and knelt down next to him to watch it chugging along as a mini replica of the brilliant red Hogwarts Express and train tracks were added. They stopped to admire the duelling wizards and battling knights and a starter battle pack was added along with a set of realistic mini dragons, Sev's eyes lingered on the collectable figures of famous witches and wizards with trading cards, and particular attention was paid to a set featuring the four founders and another of famous potioneers.

The section of building toys was nearby and saw the addition of the wizarding equivalent of LEGO with a set that could amongst other things be used to build a decent sized castle complete with a selection of tiny figures. Like with older LEGO sets, it also included ideas for a whole variety of different builds, the minifigures were animated to interact with the child and each other and the picture would even change in response to what the user was thinking about building, showing them ideas for how to create what they wanted.

The sports aisle saw the addition of a few Quidditch players for both Harry and Sev as he seemed fascinated by the tiny players whizzing around him. They also had a display of junior brooms and quidditch supplies including child-friendly snitches and quaffles courtesy of Quality Quidditch Supplies. Harry couldn't resist, he felt certain that Sev had never been flying and he hoped that he might be able to share his love of flying with him which reminded him that he'd have to come back and order a new broom for himself since losing his precious Firebolt.

They went further into the store and quickly found the arts and crafts section where they demonstrated all manner of different products including magical colouring books with pencils and paints that shimmered and changed colour and animated drawings. They flicked through a selection of them, but the favourites were clearly a book of magical creatures and an educational potions colouring book where the potions would react to being coloured in fact some of them even reacted differently depending on which colour was used like a real potion. Some more activity books were added to this along with a comprehensive selection of different art supplies to complement them and some magical moulding clay.

Unsurprisingly, the toy cauldrons and children's potions sets drew Sev's attention along with the children's book of potions with a whole variety of different fun and safe potions to make, Harry made a note to look at the more serious children's books on potion making in Flourish and Botts as a suitable selection was added to the basket. The display of toy wands that could be used to produce different coloured sparks and emulate different spell effects was another source of fascination, according to the possibly exaggerated claims they could also be used to help channel a child's accidental magic to help them develop greater control.

They finally made it to the back of the store which was full of every imaginable soft toy. Every animal imaginable, both magical and muggle was there including of course the four representing the different Hogwarts houses and they both made a note to come back and purchase some more toys as he seemed to be attracted particularly to the lion, raven and badger figures, not mention the very nice dragon and of course the snake. However, what really caught his attention was the display of different teddies. After much tentative fur stroking and a bit of a talk Harry managed to convince him that he was not at all too old for a teddy in spite of his Dad telling him that he was too old and needed to grow up. Harry suggested that having a soft toy of his own may help him get to sleep at night without nightmares, Sev finally selected a lovely bear with soft golden brown fur and warm, empathetic brown glass eyes. It was clearly the right decision as he clung tightly to his new friend, keeping him hugged close to his chest and burrowing his face into its soft fur as though afraid to let him go in case someone might steal him from him.

Next to the teddies was a whole display full of costumes that you could dress your toy in, there were all manner of different dresses presenting the different occupations of the wizarding world and the four Hogwarts houses but the ones that caught Sev's attention most were a wizard's costume in the style of Merlin complete with a classic robe, pointed hat and plush wand although Hermione couldn't help but quietly point out the Potion masters outfit complete with familiar black robes, with hidden potions vials and a toy cauldron. They both shared their amusement at this and both outfits were discreetly added to the growing collection at the bottom of the basket.

Harry steered Sev to the counter where he paid for the teddy before leading him outside and distracting him with the promise of an ice cream while Hermione paid for the rest of the purchases and asked for them to be wrapped and sent over to Hogwarts so that they could surprise Severus with them later.

After they'd all finished their ice creams and cleaned up sticky hands and faces, they headed over to Flourish and Botts. Severus thought he might just have found paradise as he stepped in, sure the toy shop had been amazing but also overwhelming, this place felt different, it exuded calm and tranquillity. It was his first experience of being in a real bookshop but it felt cosy and inviting and reassuring to be surrounded by so many books like old friends. He tentatively ran his hand along the shelves marvelling at the sheer number and variety of books. Harry steered him over to the children's section where he hoped that they'd be able to find some suitable books, he was clearly quite advanced for his age with an inquisitive mind hidden beneath his timid shell.

While he was occupied picking out books, Hermione talked to one of the assistants asking him all about which books would be best, not only for Severus to give him a well-rounded muggle and magical education and prepare him for Hogwarts but also looking at parenting books on how to raise a magical child as this was certainly something neither her or Harry had any experience of. Before too long she was left with an impressive stack of books which she shrunk down before joining Harry and Sev. She was already flicking through some of the books and telling him excitedly about all the exercises they recommended for encouraging a child's magic.

She had also picked up a few children's books along the way and went to show Harry, who smiled when he saw her choices a copy of The Tales Of Beedle The Bard, a junior version of Hogwarts A History and a junior wizards encyclopedia with loads of animated pictures, she'd also found a book on wizarding fairy tales and Arthurian legends and of course plenty of junior potions books. Sev apparently appreciated the books as he ran a hand wistfully over the cover of Beedle The Bard, remembering that his Mum used to have a well-loved copy which she was careful to keep hidden from his Dad.

By the time they'd gotten back to Hogwarts, Sev was feeling decidedly worn out but he went to bed happy in their new quarters that had been set up near Gryffidor tower. He put on his new pyjamas that were animated with sparkling stars and settled with his new Teddy underneath the soft, warm covers of his new bed in the bedroom which had been created by the magic inside of Hogwarts and decorated by the House Elves with sheets and curtains that were decorated with an assortment of animated wizards, knights and dragons. Harry soon came in and tucked him in before reading to him from one of his new books. The bed was a four poster which meant that it had curtains in case he wanted to draw them around himself to make it into a smaller safer space and the ceiling and top of his bed had been enchanted kind of like the great hall to show the night sky full of softly twinkling stars which meant that there was just enough light so he didn't feel scared without it being too bright to sleep.

He reflected as he was nodding off that today had been one of the best days he could remember even if it was rather overwhelming at times not only had it been his first time having a meal out and ice cream but he still couldn't believe how kind Harry and Hermione had been buying him all those clothes and books and a toy of his very own, no one had ever done anything remotely as kind not to mention the fact that his Mum had barely been able to afford to buy him the ill-fitting and mismatched, second-hand clothes he'd been so used to wearing before. Then, of course, there was the fact that he had his own room at Hogwarts and Harry had tucked him in and read him a story, he reflected that overall life was pretty good.

The following night was just as trying as the first. Harry stayed with him until he dropped off before setting up some charms to alert him if Severus had another nightmare or was distressed in his sleep and soon found himself woken up to comfort an equally distressed and confused child. The only thing that truly seemed to help after that was when he settled down to sleep next to him, it appeared having the human contact was very soothing for him.

The next morning after he'd had a hearty breakfast and dressed in some of his new trousers, t-shirt and trainers he was surprised when he found the living area downstairs full of a pile of colourfully wrapped presents and several of the Professor's that he'd met over the past few days with Harry and Hermione. There was the stern-faced but kindly witch who had known his Mum, the plump and warm-hearted Professor Sprout and the cheery diminutive Professor Flitwick.

He looked at the presents in confusion before turning to Harry.

"They're all for you" Harry smiled in confirmation before giving him a gentle nudge towards them.

"But I can't" he said shaking his head and trying to find words to explain it, he'd never had presents before, poor children like him didn't deserve them, particularly not after they'd been so good to him yesterday and bought him so many things.

Harry saw his discomfort and led him away to one side away from everyone before kneeling next to him and casting a muffilato over them so the others couldn't hear "Severus? What's wrong?" he asked kindly.

"I can't accept them, I don't deserve presents" he blurted out "sorry" appearing on the verge of tears.

"Severus look at me, these presents are no less than you deserve. No one forced us to go out and buy these things for you, we bought these things for you because we wanted to, we want you to be happy and have fun like a normal child understand?"

"But my Dad, he said I don't deserve new things like toys" he started to say before Harry cut him off.

Harry stared at him baffled trying to think how to reassure him, he knew after all what it was like to be left out and made to feel like you didn't deserve anything nice and he didn't want Severus to ever feel that way. He put his hand gently on his shoulder "the same man who beat you raw with a belt and shouted at you and your mother?" he looked away looking ashamed and downcast as he nodded reluctantly.

"Tell me has anyone ever bought you anything nice before?" he shook his head, "I thought not" Harry sighed and placed a hand on his shoulder "my aunt and uncle were like that, they went out of their way to ensure I never had nice things like my cousin, I grew up believing I didn't deserve nice things because that's what the Dursely's drilled into me, but they were wrong jut like your Dad was, they lied to me and did everything they could to make me feel worthless. You deserve this Severus, and you deserve to be happy and have new toys, clothes and books and a proper bedroom just as much as every other child, what you've been given is no less than what you should have had to begin with"

Severus felt tears welling up as he was once again overcome with emotions that these people who'd barely known him were showing him such kindness "but I" he looked up at Harry desperately.

"It's a bit overwhelming isn't it?" Harry guessed what he was thinking, Severus, nodded grateful that he understood and allowed Harry to gather him up into his embrace as he let it all out. Harry was amazingly patient and rubbed his back, soothing him as he let all the tears and flood of emotions spill out of him until he felt as though he may be able to continue.

"Do you want me to help you open some presents?" he asked kindly, Sev nodded "come on then" he said getting up and holding out his hand, they walked over as the guests turned to look at them and Harry smiled reassuringly as though nothing was wrong.

He nervously approached the pile and picked out a parcel and with quivering hands, he nervously started to unwrap it, aware of the eyes subtly watching him. He couldn't believe it when he pushed back the paper to reveal the collectable figures that he'd been looking longingly at the day before but how he wondered, it wasn't as though he'd said that he wanted how did they know he thought as he looked up at Harry who gave him a knowing smile.

"Thank you" he said gratefully feeling tears welling up. Harry nodded at him and indicated that he should continue. Soon he had quite a pile of toys laid out in front of him tiny Quidditch players, colouring supplies, modelling kits, and building blocks to make a castle, he had his own potions set like he'd always dreamed, there were collectable wizarding cards, he had a train set and the magnificent and beautifully soft toy dragon he'd seen, he even had a children's broom of his own. To say he felt like the luckiest kid alive didn't even begin to describe how he felt, he was totally and utterly stunned by their generosity, was this what it meant to be a normal child that you had so many toys that you didn't even know what to play with first?
Chapter End Notes:
Author's Notes:

Some of you may have guessed what's going on with the nightmares, I promise I won't torment them with it for to long and I'll be picking up that thread in a chapter or two once they've had a chance to try and fix it themselves.

Couldn't resist having some fun with the books and toys, particularly being a toy collector myself, just imagine what an amazing experience a wizarding toy shop would be and filling it with magical fun and of course, imagine how a neglected child like Severus who may never have been given their own toys may find such a bright and overwhelming place.