Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

 

 

Harry sat at the small table in the living room that Remus had transfigured out of the coffee table. Remus and Severus sat across from him with a plate of sandwiches in the middle of the table and a pitcher of what looked like lemonade.

“I figured something light for lunch would be a good choice.” Remus said.

Harry reached out and took one. He sighed after the first bite. “Ham and Swiss on rye. My favorite.”

Remus smiled, “I remember you mentioning it that day you asked me to teach you how to defend yourself against the Dementors during our walk.”

“Harry, do you have any questions?” Severus asked, smiling a little sadly at how little he knew his son.

Harry took a swallow of lemonade, gathering his thoughts. Oh, he had questions and like his mum’s letter had mentioned, he felt anger, betrayal, and confusion. “Why did mum wait till I was seventeen? I don’t understand that.”

It was Severus who took this question. “That would be because of my family line, or at least I assume it is. At seventeen, all the males in the Prince line seem to experience a…the way it was explained to me by my mother and Grandmama, it is a type of growth spurt. In our case, it is not a physical growth, but a magical one. I went through mine a year after my mother was murdered.”

“Were you home?” Harry questioned.

“No, I was at Hogwarts. My Grandmama had written to both Albus and Minerva and explained what I would go through. The day before my seventeenth birthday, I was moved to a private suite near the hospital wing. James and Remus were allowed to stay with me.” Severus said.

“Did James go through it too? I mean, his mom was your aunt, right?” Harry interrupted.

“Yes, he did, about two months after I did. However, for some reason, mine was stronger than his. And a bit more painful. With each male, the strength is different and there is always some level of discomfort or pain. Mine was so strong that the sitting room of the suite we were in shook. Poppy and Minerva were a bit startled, as were James and Remus.” Severus responded.

“Startled? I was bloody terrified.” Remus butted in. “You were glowing a silver color and thrashing on the bed. It took Poppy, Minerva, James, AND me just to hold you down.” Remus corrected.

Harry felt his eyes widen. “Will mine be like that?”

“I honestly don’t know Harry. You are a mix of my blood and your mother’s. She was powerful in her own right. When it was over, I felt exhausted and weak. Albus sent for my Grandmama. She told me then that when I was born, she visited an Oracle. The Oracle told her that I was going to be the strongest in the family, until my son was born.

“Grandmama told me that the Oracle said I would meet a woman that would be my equal in every way. That I would father a son with her, and my son would be the balance. I told all this to Lily and…” Severus paused, and his eyes widened. “Bloody hell! That’s why Lily did this.”

“Severus, what are you talking about?” Remus questioned.

“Wait, you’re saying there’s ANOTHER prophecy about me?” Harry added.

“Sadly yes. The first one was made by that Oracle my Grandmama went to see. It made no sense to me or her then. But a second prophecy was made not long before you were born. That prophecy said that Voldemort would mark you as his equal and that you had a power that he doesn’t. It also said that either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.” Severus answered, his voice wavering.

“You mean…either Voldemort kills me, or I have…to kill him?” Harry gulped.

Severus looked at his son. He saw the fear and a determination in those green eyes, Lily’s eyes. “Harry, I…”

Harry stood up and moved to the window, looking out the window. His mind was a whirlwind now after this information. All of this, him being sent to Petunia, his father’s memories being altered and hidden, all of it was because of two prophecies. Harry felt a pair of hands resting on his shoulders.

“Son, Harry, I’m sorry…”

“Isn’t…I mean, Hermione said that Divination is a wooly subject anyway…” Harry stammered.

“Yes, that is true, but an Oracle is not the same thing. An Oracle’s prophecies are a magical gift and can be controlled. Divination, like what Sybil Trelawney does, is hit or miss. In fact, ironically, it was Trelawney that made the second prophecy. Oracles are born maybe two a generation and their gifts are not ones to doubt.” Severus sighed.

“So…I’m the one that has to kill Voldemort and what? Bring balance? What am I the wizard version of Luke freaking Skywalker?” Harry hissed his anger rising now.

Severus turned Harry to face him and knelt to look him in the eye. “Listen to me Harry. I will not let you face him alone. You hear me? I know which Oracle Grandmama went to see, and she is still alive. I will go to her and get more answers. I will tell her of Trelawney’s prophecy and see what she can tell me.”

“You’re…you’re leaving me?” Harry gasped.

Severus’s heart broke at the fear that laced his son’s voice. Severus pulled the young man into his arms and hugged him tight. After a slight hesitation, he felt Harry’s arms wrap around his shoulders.

“I’m not leaving you Harry. Now that we have found each other, I am NEVER leaving you again. I will go, see the Oracle, gather what information I can, and come back to you. I swear it.” Severus vowed.

 

 

~0000~

 

 

 

Hermione sat at her window seat at home watching the sky. It had been nearly a week now since she sent a letter to Harry and no reply. The day after she came home, she and her mom were in London and Hermione had ducked into Diagon Alley to sent Harry the letter.

‘I hope Harry is alright. I know he hates going home and that his Aunt and Uncle don’t really treat him like they should.’ She thought worriedly.

“Hermione? Honey, you alright?” her mother asked, walking into the room.

“I’m worried about Harry mum. I…” Hermione started to answer when she spotted the bird flying toward her.

Hermione frown. That wasn’t an owl, but a black raven. Blinking, she opened the window to allow the bird in. The raven landed gracefully on the seat at Hermione’s knee and extended its leg.

“Thank you. Um, I only have owl treats.” Hermione said.

“I can run downstairs and grab one of the bran muffins I made.” Helen Granger said, then faced the raven. “Will that work?”

The raven squawked and seemed to nod. Helen smiled and left. “You’re not a post bird, so are you to wait for a reply?”

The bird nodded. Hermione then opened the letter. She glanced down and was shocked to see the signature of Professor Snape at the bottom of the letter. Confused, she started reading the letter hoping for some clarity.

 

Dear Ms. Granger,

 

I am writing on behalf of Harry. He is currently staying with me and Remus Lupin. There has been a…I suppose you could say a life changing event that has happened regarding Harry.

If your parents will agree to it, I would like to come to your home, collect you, bring you to my home so that Harry, Remus, and myself can explain. If they agree, I will be there at noon this Friday afternoon. Send word with my raven, Onyx.

 

Sincerely,

Professor S. Snape

 

 

Hermione was floored. She looked up as her mother returned with the muffin for Onyx. Unable to speak, Hermione handed the letter to her mother. Helen Granger frowned in concern as she read.

“Mum, what should I tell him?” Hermione asked.

“Tell him Friday at noon will be fine. Your father and I have work, but you have always spoken highly of Professor Snape and if Harry is there then it must be safe. If it is late when everything is finished and the Professor does not wish to bring you home that evening, you may stay there.” Helen answered.

Nodding, Hermione pulled out some parchment and her quill and started writing. Five minutes later, she tied her reply to Onyx’s leg and watched him fly off. Hermione leaned into her mother as the older woman slipped an arm around her shoulders. A million thoughts were running through Hermione’s mind. What life altering event had happened in just the week since term ended?

 

 

~0000~

 

 

Severus stood at the window of the library looking over the grounds. After he and Remus had explained more to Harry, the three had eaten their lunch. During which, Severus learned more about his son.

It turned out that Harry actually enjoyed reading and studying. Yet when Severus asked him why he did not do so at school, Harry had blushed lightly and looked down at his hands. Harry went on to tell him and Remus that during his primary school days before Hogwarts, he was punished it he did better than Dudley. This had further infuriated Severus.

“Sev, you alright?” Remus inquired, walking back into the room.

“Where’s Harry?” Severus asked, turning around.

“Taking a nap. He’s still rather weak from what that… from what happened.” Remus sighed, sitting on the sofa.

Severus moved and sat in the armchair across from him. “I can not believe what he told us today. How could a parent or guardian punish a child for excelling at school? How? What else happened in that house that he’s NOT telling us Mooney?”

“I don’t know my friend. That has been worrying me as well. Have you received a reply from Hermione yet?” Remus answered.

“Yes just after lunch. Her parents have agreed and even said if it is late once we finish explaining things, she is welcome to stay the night. I may suggest that anyway. In fact, I will suggest she spend the weekend. I think it would help Harry.” Severus said. A thought came to him then. “Why did he not ask for Mr. Weasley to come as well?”

Remus chuckled a little. “If I’m right, I believe he and Hermione have feelings for each other. Whether they are a couple or not I can’t say. That and of his friends, Hermione and young Ginny are perhaps the most level-headed. I think once he tells Hermione, he will want to tell the Weasleys. And I do mean ALL of them.”

“All of them?” Severus rebutted.

“Severus, surly you have noticed they have become a surrogate family for him. Molly and Arthur see him as one of their own. I also believe that in telling them, it could very well add another layer of protection for Harry. Molly alone is not a witch I would want to face if one of her children were being threatened. Would you?” Remus explained lifting a brow.

Severus couldn’t help but chuckle. He had seen Molly when her temper flared, and she was indeed a scary sight. “No, I would not. You are right though. I have noticed how they have taken him under their wing. Very well, after things are explained to Miss Granger, I will speak to Harry. If he wishes, I will invite Molly, Arthur, and their children here. Well, except for Percy. I have a feeling he is…”

Remus nodded in understanding. “Straying? Molly invited me for tea a few weeks ago and she confided in me that Percy is falling for the Ministry propaganda. It is breaking her and Arthur’s heart.”

Severus gave a grunt in agreement. Of all the Weasley children he had taught, Percy was the one that made him pay close attention. The young wizard was quite ambitious for a Gryffindor and seemed to have no issues throwing someone under the bus as they say, to achieve what he wanted.

“Do you happen to know any other favorite foods of Harry’s? I want to have the house elves prepare something for dinner.” Severus spoke up.

“No, but I know someone who would. Dobby!” Remus called out.

A moment later, Dobby appeared with a pop. “Yous called Dobby Sir Remus?”

“I did. Dobby, Harry is now staying here with Severus.” Remus nodded.

Dobby turned and faced Severus. Ringing his hands, Dooby spoke, “Does this means that Professor and Harry Potter knows the truth?”  

Severus’s eyes widened, “How did…”

“My elf magic Sir. The first time I meets Harry Potter, I sees the glamour Sir. I sees the truth. I sees you when I was a slave to the Bad Family. I sees you in Harry Potter Sir. We elves heard of how powerful and clever Lady Lily was and I knews it must have been she who did it.” Dobby explained. “I swears Sir, I will tell none Harry Potter is yours. Harry Potter freed Dobby, I owes him everything.”

“Thank you for that.” Severus smiled. “Remus called you because I wish my house elves to prepare one of Harry’s favorite meals tonight for dinner, but I don’t know what my son likes. Remus thought you could help us.”

Dobby smiled brightly. “Oh, Professor Sir, I woulds be happy to helps. Harry Potter and mes talked abouts his favorite foods once I comes to Hogwarts.”

“You are at Hogwarts now?” Remus asked.

“Oh yes Sir. Master Dumbledore takes me in last summer and pays Dobby a knut a week. I knows the other elves thinks I am a bad elf for asking for wages, buts…”

“I don’t think you are a bad elf. No one, human or creature, should be slaves. In fact, if you wish, would you remain here for the summer? I shall pay you what…the Headmaster pays you. My son has had his world turned upside down and could use his friends. Should you agree, you will teach my house elves Harry’s favorite foods. What do you say?” Severus offered.

Dobby’s eyes filled with tears. “Oh, Professor Sir! Dobby woulds be honored! I shall go tell Master Dumbledore then return.”

“Very well. Thank you, Dobby.” Severus stated.

“I think Harry will like that. So, will you tell your elves, or shall I?” Remus grinned.

“Why don’t we both tell them?” Severus replied, standing. “Um, have they been freed? I know Lily talked about it but…”

“They have. The night Albus…the night Lily’s plan went into action I did it. I told them that you and Lily wanted to free them and pay them instead. When I mentioned pay, they got terribly upset so we came to an agreement.” Remus explained.

“Agreement?” Severus inquired as they headed for the kitchens.

“Yes. They accepted the clothes, but instead of money, they wanted to be taught to read. All fifty of you and Lily’s elves. So, I agreed. You will find all your elves much happier.” Remus answered.

“Then, lets see how happy they will be when I tell them of Dobby coming here.” Severus chuckled.