Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

 

 

Severus looked up at the two-story home. It looked quite homey and lived in. He could not help but smile a little. He and Lily had wanted that together, to be a family, the three of them. Taking a slow breath, he started walking up the walk. He reached the door and knocked. Moments later, the door opened.

“Good afternoon, Professor Snape.” Hermione greeted, holding a small overnight bag.

“Good afternoon, Ms. Granger.” Severus replied. “Are you ready to go?”

“Yes sir. I do want to say thank you for allowing me to stay the weekend. I will admit to being quite confused as to what’s happening. Is Harry…um, what I mean, is he…” Hermione stuttered.

“I assure you Miss Granger; Harry is safe and…” Severus let out a sigh. “Let us get to my home and you will understand after everything is explained. All right?”

Not knowing what else to say, Hermione just nodded. Severus extended his hand for her bag. After shrinking it and tucking it in his pocket, her extended his arm and with no hesitation, she placed her hand firmly atop his. Severus smiled at her. Not just today, but many times over the last four years he had see the same braveness that his Lily had shown.

In a blink, they disapperated from Hermione’s home and reappeared at Severus’s. Hermione took a few slow steadying breaths to regain her bearings. She gasped at seeing the house before her.

“Professor, your home is beautiful. It reminds me of Downton Abbey or something.” Hermione said.

“Thank you, Miss Granger.” Severus chuckled taking her bag from his pocket and enlarging it again.

Hermione took her bag and schooled herself as they walked toward the front door. The home was indeed beautiful. A reminder of the days of old; the days of great houses, great families and the glamour that went with it. She nodded her thanks as Severus held open the front door for her.

“Hermione!”

“Oh Harry.” Hermione breath moments before she was wrapped in a fierce hug, her bag falling to the floor forgotten.

Hermione felt herself shudder in relief at finding Harry safe and sound. His arms enveloping her in a comforting yet loving hug. She pulled back and only smiled when Harry kept his arm around her shoulders. It was then she saw Remus walking into the main hall.

“Hello Professor Lupin. It is good to see you.” Hermione greeted.

“It’s just Remus, Hermione. Welcome.” Remus smiled.

“Violet!” Severus called out.

A POP resounded and a female house elf appeared. “Yes, Master Severus, Sir?”

“Violet, this is Miss Hermione Granger. She will be your charge for the weekend. Will you please take her things up to the Princess Amelia room? I will show her there later.” Severus instructed.

“I’s bee happy to.” Violet beamed as she levitated Hermione’s bag and hurried away.

Catching her look, Harry snickered, “Hermione, the house-elves here are very well treated.”

Hermione blushed. “I never assumed that…”

“What’s this about?” Remus inquired as the four headed for the library.

“After I told Hermione about how Dobby was treated by the Malfoys, she kind of got it her head that that was how all house elves are treated.” Harry explained.

“Wow!” Hermione gaped, stopping in the middle of the room.

“I see this room meets your approval, Miss Granger.” Severus teased.

“It’s... oh Professor it’s a beautiful room.” Hermione breathed, blushing a little.

“I think it’s probably my favorite room. Well, of the rooms I have seen.” Harry spoke up, slipping his arm around her shoulders and kissing her temple.

Severus and Remus shared a knowing look as they watched the two teenagers. Severus did not miss how Harry kept his hand on the small of Hermione’s back as he led her to the small table ladened with lunch. Or how he pulled her chair out for her and helped her scoot into the table. It was a relief to see that his and Lily’s son was growing into quite the gentleman.

“Hermione, I am sure you are quite intrigued about what is going on.” Remus began, pouring them all some lemonade.

“I won’t deny that Pro…Remus.” Hermione nodded.

“Then I will start.” Severus said. “Miss Gran…Hermione. About a week ago…”

 

 

~0000~

 

 

Hermione wiped away the tears as Severus finished the tale. She reached over and took hold of Harry’s hand. “Oh Harry. I am so sorry. I had a feeling things weren’t…”

“Hermione don’t do that. You tried to get me to talk about what was happening, and I refused. Yet,” Harry paused and looked across the table at Severus. “It looks like things have worked out. Right? I mean, I found a…father, haven’t I?”

Hermione looked over at Severus and saw the look in his eyes. Was that pride at Harry’s words? “Yes, yes it looks like you have.” She fully faced Severus. “Professor, you mentioned visiting the Oracle your grandmother did. When were you going to do that?”

“That is why I suggested today for this meeting. I went and saw the Oracle two days ago. I felt it would be best for you to be here when I delivered what she shared with me. Shall we move into the sitting room?” Severus answered.

The four rose from the table. Severus led them through a side door and into a beautiful sitting room. One wall was nothing but beveled glass window that looked out onto a garden, the drapes tied back allowing the summer light to fill the room. Directly across from the door they entered was a white marbled fireplace with a seating arrangement of two sofas on either side and a smaller one closing the fourth side. An oval coffee table sat in the center of them before the fireplace.

Hermione and Harry sat side-by-side on one sofa while Severus and Remus sat across from them. Waiting on the coffee table was a tray with a carafe of coffee for Remus and Severus and a pitcher of lemonade for Harry and Hermione.

“Sev, you were going to tell us what the Oracle told you and your Grandmama.” Remus began.

“Yes.” Severus nodded. He took a slow breath, as if steeling himself. “When I entered the temple, she simply smiled…”

 

 

*2 Days Ago, Somewhere in the Scottish Highlands*

 

 

Severus walked into the temple; his head held high. Yet inside, he was trying to keep himself from gaping in awe. The exterior gave no hint as to what truly lay beyond the door of the hidden building. From the outside it looked to be an old monastery of some kind.

Once one stepped through the double doors, all ideals of that sort vanished. The interior was reminiscent of an ancient Grecian or Roman temple. Tall marble pillars evenly spaced framed the black granite aisle. The smell of jasmine and something else, almost woodsy, filled the air. The scent gave Severus a sense of calm as he neared the raised dais.

Seated in a cushioned chaise lounge was the most beautiful being Severus had ever seen. She seemed almost ethereal. A glow just emanating from her. The woman’s skin was a white as the full moon. She was dressed in a liquid like fabric of the palest green he had ever seen. Her hair was a deep purple, almost black.

The most captivating thing were the Oracle’s eyes. They were hypnotic. Swirling with what seemed to be every color that could be imagined. At the base of the dais, Severus slowly took a knee, bowing his head.

“Welcome, Severus Snape. I have been waiting for you to make this journey.”

“You…you’ve been expecting me?” Severus stuttered, his head snapping up.

The Oracle laughed, “Oh yes, ever since your dear Grandmama Celeste came to me all those years ago.”

“Then, you understand why I have come? Oracle, my son…”

“Yes, I know why. Your son, Harry, is special my boy. I told this to Aurora, and I will now repeat the prophecy I told her to you. ‘Blood of a Prince and Blood of a Lily will join as one. One light, one dark. Together their heir shall bring balance.’”

“You are talking about Harry? Mine and Lily’s son, our heir.”

“Yes. Harry will bring a balance to the world, tearing down old walls built by wizards and witches of a bygone age. He will help lead the wizarding world into the modern world.” The Oracle said.

“And…what about Trelawney’s prophecy? The one she made before he was born?” Severus questioned.

“That prophecy is still true. Part of it has already happened. ‘He will be marked as his equal.’ Your son’s scar is that physical mark. As for the rest, of Harry having a power that Voldemort knows not, that is also true. It is love.” The Oracle explained.

“Love? How is that a power?” Severus frowned.

“It was Lily’s LOVE that kept Harry alive that night. It is your LOVE that has brought you here and has given him the chance you both were denied. Voldemort is no longer capable of feeling love. He has taken an irreversible path by splitting his very soul.”

Severus’s eyes widened as her last statement hit. “No. You mean he has…he has successfully created a horcrux?”

“Not just one, but seven.”

 

 

*Present Day*

 

 

“What is a horcrux?” Harry asked once Severus stopped speaking.

“It’s…it’s one of the darkest forms of dark magic.” Hermione shuddered. “It is where a witch or wizard commits such a vile act that it literally fractures their soul. Legend says that the fractured piece of the person’s soul can then be transferred to an object or even, in theory, a person. It is considered a way for a person to essentially live forever.”

“But…but why would someone want to do that? And what act could be so vile…” Harry began, then his eyes widened as a thought entered his mind. He looked to Severus, “Murder?”

“Yes Harry. But not just murder. We are talking pure, absolute hatred and malice while committing it. Voldemort’s father and stepfamily died under mysterious circumstances. I believe this was when the first horcrux would have been created.” Severus sighed.

“Seven times. Merlin’s beard.” Remus breathed.

“The Oracle confirmed what I told you the day I brought you here son, when I told you I would not leave you to face Voldemort alone. Yes, Trelawny’s prophecy says you and he will face one another, but it says nothing about you having to do so alone. The Oracle advised that I be at your side when that day comes, and I will. I will also begin helping to train you so that when you face him once and for all, you will all the stronger.” Severus stated.

Hermione slipped her hand into Harry’s and squeezed. “I will help too. I will be at your side when that day comes Harry, I promise.”

“You will have me too Harry.” Remus added.

Tearfully, Harry looked at the three of them. His father, his Godfather, and his friend. His heart filled with their love for him. “T…thank you. I have never felt like this. Like I have a family. A true family.”

Severus moved off the sofa and knelt in front of his son. He gently cupped his face. “Harry, I love you. You are my son, the best parts of me and your mother. Our own little miracle. I promise, from this day forward, I will do everything I can to show you just how much you are loved. To give you the life that fate denied us all this time.”

Harry pursed his lips as they began to tremble. Without thinking, he let go of Hermione’s hand and threw his arms around Severus’s neck. As hard as he tried, Harry was no longer able to keep his emotions at bay. The tears began at the same time as the quiet sobs. When he felt Severus’s arms envelope him, he broke down, his sobs becoming louder as the two sank to their knees.

“N…no one’s…. ever…wanted me. Not…the Du…Durs…” Harry sobbed.

“Sshh. Hush now Harry.” Severus soothed. “I have you now. You are safe. You are loved. You’re wanted.”

Remus knelt beside Severus and lay his hand on Harry’s shaking shoulders. “That’s right Harry. We love you.”

Hermione mirrored him, her own tears falling at hearing Harry’s words. “Harry, we all love you. We want you. You have a family with me, Remus and your…your father. We love you.”

“She’s right. We, the four of us, now in this moment are family. You will never be alone again, Harry. My son.” Severus whispered, his own voice hitching with emotion as he clung to his son.