Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

 

 

Harry and Hermione sat in the backyard under a large tree. She sat between his legs, leaning against him, his arms wrapped around her, holding her securely against him. “I’m glad that Professor Snape suggested you staying the weekend.”

“Me too.” She smiled. “Harry, why do you still call him Professor?”

“Well, the day after he and Remus told me the truth, I asked him what I should call him. He said I could call him Severus or Professor. I said I’d call him Professor for now. Yet now Professor sounds wrong.” He sighed.

“Then try Severus. After all, he said you could.”

“Yeah, I think I will.” He agreed and sighed. “I…a part of me wants to call him dad, but…”

Hermione shift so that she was now facing him. She slowly reached up and placed her hand against his cheek. “Harry, if that’s what you want then you should. If you’re worried about his reaction, I wouldn’t be. He is your father and from what I’ve seen in the few hours I’ve been here; I think he would like that as much as you would like to say it.”

Harry covered her hand with his. “You really think so?” Hermione nodded. “Alright then. You’ve never steered me wrong.”

When Hermione smiled at him, a feeling washed through Harry. Taking a chance, he leaned in closing the small gap between them and gently pressed his lips to her. Both froze at the feel of their lips meeting. When Harry pressed a little firmer, Hermione sighed, and both her arms slid around his neck. After a few moments, Harry slowly pulled back as their eyes opened, locked and held.

“I’ve wanted to do that for a long time now.” Harry grinned.

Hermione giggled, “Me too.”

“Hermione, will you be my girlfriend?”

“Oh Harry, I thought you’d never ask.”

The moment was broken by the sound of their names being called from the back door. Still smiling, they got to their feet. Harry took her hand in his as they walked toward the house. They found Severus standing there, studying them.

“I see there has been a development.” Severus stated, glancing at their joined hands, and lifting a brow.

“Um, well yes sir. Harry asked me to be his girlfriend.” Hermione nodding, blushing a little.

“Are you alright with that…dad?” Harry asked, pausing to see Severus’s reaction.

“I think…” Severus’s eyes widened as he registered what Harry had just called him. “What…did you just call me?”

“Dad.” Harry answered.

The shock disappeared from Severus’s face, and he broke into a large smile. He then pulled Harry into his arms and hugged him. “I never thought I’d hear that word. You have made me so happy. Son.”

“Dad.” Harry whispered, hugging him tighter.

Hermione smiled tearfully watching the scene unfold. She felt someone step beside her and looked up at an equally smiling Remus. The two nodded and quietly slipped out of the mudroom.

Severus released Harry and looked down at him. “As for you and Hermione dating, I think it’s perfect. I don’t think I’m going to give a talk about raging teenage hormones with you two?”

Harry laughed. “No dad, you’re not. God, now that I’ve said the word, I can’t seem to stop wanting to say it all the time.”

“I feel the same about calling you Son. I know we still have a way to go in knowing each other, but I think this moment has broken the ice.” Severus chuckled.

“Yeah, me too. So, I gather dinner is ready?”

“It is. Come on.”

Father and son walked side-by-side toward the informal dining room to find Remus and Hermione already seated. The two looked at Harry and Severus grinning like crazy. Harry chuckled while Severus simply rolled his eyes. This only caused Remus to laugh.

“Laugh it up furball.” Severus teased as he sat down.

“I’m not going to apologize at seeing my best friend and my Godson happy and getting to know each other.” Remus shrugged.

“Um Professor…” Hermione began.

“Since we are not in school and you are now dating my son, you can call me Severus, Hermione.” Severus interrupted with a small grin.

“Thank you…Severus. I have been wondering about something. You told me that on Harry’s birthday, his appearance will change. What will he look like?” Hermione asked.

“I never thought to ask that.” Harry said.

“You’ve had other things on your mind Harry. As for what you will look like, the Oracle showed me. You will look similar to myself when I was your age. Except your eyes. They will not change. You will be taller than you are now, about 5’11 or so. You will look leaner, yet a bit more muscular that you do now.” Severus explained.

“So, I’ll probably have to work on my broom skills?” Harry inquired.

“I would assume so. Severus and James both did after their growth spurt when they turned 17.” Remus nodded.

“Growth spurt?” Hermione frowned.

As the four ate, Severus and Remus explained about the magical growth spurt that Harry would be going through in about a month. Severus went on to tell them that the Oracle said the charms Lily had placed on Harry and the spurt would happen at the same time. Severus, furthermore, told Harry that his change would be stronger than Severus’s had been.

“Stronger?” Harry questioned, a hint of nervousness creeping into his voice.

“Yes. That is why I have written for not just Poppy, but Minerva as well to assist me and Remus. I sent Onyx this morning.” Severus nodded.

Hermione, Remus, and Severus saw something flicker in Harry’s eyes. Hermione was the first to speak. “What is it, Harry? I can see you’re worried about something.”

“I’m worried about the Weasley’s. I mean you’re the only one outside dad and Remus that knows. Well and…the headmaster.” Harry said, hearing the anger in his tone at even mentioning Albus Dumbledore.

“Well, when do you want to tell them Harry?” Severus inquired, not mentioning the anger in his son’s voice. Hell, he still felt anger toward Albus and could understand.

“I…I don’t know. I mean, I think Mr. and Mrs. Weasley would be fine, same with Ginny. The twins will just tease me, but they would be fine. But Ron…” Harry sighed.

“Harry, the Weasley love you. I know that Ron can be short tempered at times, but he is also your friend. I think he will come to terms with it.” Remus assured him.

“You think so?” Harry asked hopefully.

“Remus is right Harry. I think once the shock wears off, Ron will be fine.” Hermione agreed, squeezing his hand.

“Son, I will write to Molly and ask her and Arthur to come here with Ronald, Ginevra and…the twins,” Severus playfully sneered at the mention of Fred and George, causing the others to laugh. “I will ask them here for Tuesday. That way, by the time your birthday arrives, the shock will have worn off and they, along with Hermione, can come back for the day of your birthday.” Severus said.

“But won’t I be too tired to celebrate? I mean, you said you were exhausted for like a week.” Harry argued.

“I was, as was James. The Oracle also told me that while your change will be the strongest in our line, you will also feel none of the aftereffects that the rest of the males in our families have.” Severus replied.

“Cool.” Harry smiled in relief.

 

 

~0000~

 

 

Minerva had just set the tea out when Poppy walked into her sitting room. “Hello Minerva.”

“Hello Poppy. I suppose you know why I have asked you to come for tea.” Minerva smiled.

“I have a pretty good idea.” Poppy chuckled as the two witches sat across from one another. “Something to do about the recently discovered father and son that we both adore.”

“Yes. Severus wrote to me this morning and has asked that I be present for Harry’s change. I assumed he wrote to you as well.” Minerva nodded.

“He did. I wrote back telling him I would be there the night before Harry’s birthday. If Harry’s change is anything like Severus’s was, I’m guessing it will begin just before midnight on the 30th.” Poppy replied, with a sigh.

“I recall Severus’s change well. I had some idea from what Aurora, but witnessing it was much different.” Minerva stated, lifting her teacup to her lips. After a sip, she spoke again. “Poppy, did you know that James and Severus were cousins?”

Poppy sat her own cup down. “I did. I wanted to tell you but figured if Aurora never told you she had her reasons. I believe it had to do with Tobias. He always hated the Potters and the fact that Eileen and Euphemia were sisters did nothing to dampen that hatred.”

“I always wondered why James but there the night of Severus’s change, but just assumed it was because he and Severus were best friends, along with Remus. But this revelation puts things into clearer perspective. Especially when he volunteered to pretend to be Lily’s husband. Speaking of that, did you know that…”

“That Harry was Severus’s son? I suspected, but when Severus suddenly had such animosity toward James, I kept my mouth shut. I couldn’t understand how he could suddenly hate the man who was like a brother to him.” Poppy sighed.

It was Minerva’s turn to sigh, and she told Poppy about Lily’s plan and what had led to the events that culminated into the situation that Harry and Severus now found themselves. Poppy stared at her friend in shock as all was revealed.

“Merlin’s Beard! And Albus agreed to go through with this? What was he thinking! Oh, that daft old man.” Poppy exclaimed.

“I told Albus as much. I even told him that in the future to leave is meddling to the barest minimum where Harry and Severus are concerned. He agreed. At least Lily had the foresight to complete the spell that would remove the Dark Mark. At least now, Severus and Harry are safer on that front.” Minerva said.

“True. And have you heard from Severus if Harry plans to tell Sirius? I mean, he is still his godfather.” Poppy questioned.

“No, I haven’t. I know Sirius and Severus have always loathed one another, but perhaps with this revelation, those two can put their dislike aside for Harry’s sake. The poor boy has been through so much and needs those that love him united.” Minerva replied wistfully.

“Yes, let us hope they can. For Harry’s sake.” Poppy agreed.

~0000~

 

 

Harry sat on his balcony staring out over the moonlit backyard, thinking over the evening’s events. After dinner, he, Hermione, Severus, and Remus had retired to the living room. Severus had surprised him again when he picked up a muggle remote Harry had never noticed. Harry was further surprised when a 72” plasma screen TV lowered above the fireplace. Severus had laughed and informed him that while he was a wizard, he had been raised on the Muggle world as well. Turns out that Grandmama Aurora and Grandpa Orpheus loved many things about the Muggle world. Especially the entertainment and technology. Severus explained how just before he was born, they had renovated the manor, adding the telephone lines and televisions. That was the third time the manor had been renovated. Electricity had been added shortly after the end of World War I. 

The four had then settled down and Severus asked if Harry had a favorite movie. Harry sheepishly looked down as he informed his dad that with the Dursley’s, he was not allowed to watch TV. When Harry had looked up, it was to see his dad wearing a shocked expression. Well, Remus and Hermione as well. Severus had said that they would just have to remedy that problem and moved to what looked like a bookcase beside the fireplace. It was Harry’s turn to gape as he saw a massive movie collection.

Severus had selected a movie called Hatari!. Severus explained that Grandpa Orpheus was a huge John Wayne fan and had every John Wayne movie. When the movie was finished and Severus asked him what he thought, Harry had grinned saying he wanted to see more John Wayne movies, which caused everyone to laugh. Feeling the night breeze ruffle his hair, Harry couldn’t help but smile at the way the evening, hell the day, had gone.

“Harry?”

Harry jumped and whipped his head over his shoulder. “Dad, I’m sorry. I…”

Severus lived his hand. “No need to apologize son. Is everything alright?”

“Yeah, everything is fine. I lay down to sleep, but I just felt so…happy. I mean…” Harry broke off and sighed.

Severus sat beside him. “What is it?”

“Today has been…amazing. I’ve never felt the way I do right now. Never. I will admit, a small part was nervous about Hermione coming and me, well us, telling her everything. It’s stupid I know, but I mean, before Hogwarts I never had friends. Dudley made sure of that when we started primary school. The other kids treated me like I was a freak or something. It’s the same reason why I’m a bit nervous telling Ron, but I think Hermione’s right and it will be okay.”

“Harry, son, I…Merlin’s Beard, I wish I had known the truth. I wish that Voldemort had never been hatched. Then you never would have experienced that loneliness or all the pain.” Severus breathed, pulling Harry into a fierce hug, which Harry returned.

“I wish that too. Yet today, like I said, was amazing. I felt for the first time that I have a family. My own family. I mean yes, the Weasley’s have been great and all, treating me like one of their own, but I never fully felt like that. But today I did. With you, Remus, and Hermione. Not to mention I had the guts to officially ask her to be my girlfriend. It just felt so…normal. Hanging with her, a family dinner, and movie after that.” Harry explained.

Severus chuckled, “Harry, tonight is just the beginning. I agree with Remus and Hermione, that everything will work out when you tell the Weasley’s. I sent the letter to them after dinner tonight.”

A sudden thought popped into Harry’s mind. “Um dad?”

“Yes?”

“What about…Sirius? I mean, he’s still my godfather, right? Him and Remus?”

“Yes, he is. While I will not deny that I am not fond of the mutt, I do know that he does care about you. He was also one of James’ best friends. Whenever you are ready to tell him, just let me know. He is welcome to come here, or we can go to him. All three of us. I just know that I will need Remus there to keep us in line.”

Can I write him now? Maybe have him come here before Hermione goes home? I mean, maybe having her AND Remus here will be enough to keep him from flipping out too much?” Harry suggested.

“You know, I think you may be right. Very well. See if he could be here maybe tomorrow. I will send Remus to meet him in the village and bring him here. There are only five people who can apparate directly here. Myself, Remus, Minerva, Poppy and…Dumbledore. Anyone else has to be brought here. And once you get your apparition license, you and Hermione will be allowed to as well.” Severus said.

Harry nodded at the same time he let out a huge yawn. Severus chuckled. He slid off the bench and tugged Harry to his feet. Harry climbed back into bed and was quite surprised when Severus tucked him in. The older wizard smiled down gently and ruffled Harry’s hair, causing him to laugh a little. “Good night. Dad.”

“Good night. Son.” Severus smiled.

Harry let out a contented sigh as his eyes closed. As he drifted off to sleep, the feeling of warmth, love, and happiness remained. For the first time in years, Harry slept soundly and peacefully. He knew that now, he was not just safe, but wanted and loved. He had a family he could call HIS.