Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

 

 

Harry bolted upright in bed. His chest felt as if there was a massive boulder sitting on it. He lifted a trembling hand to cling to the damp t-shirt he wore as he struggled to catch his breath. His whole body was trembling as he swung his legs over the side of the bed and placed his bare feet on the wood floor. Still trying to catch his breath, Harry recalled the dream that was the cause for his current situation. Bending over, his mind replayed the dream.

 

 

*Harry’s Dream*

 

 

Harry sat in one of the armchairs as he finished explaining the truth to Sirius and the Weasley’s. The room was silent as the seven Weasley’s and Sirius just stared at him. He began to shift under their gaze. “Look, I know this is…”

“To think that we let you into our home.” Molly said, her voice suddenly taking on a hardened edge.

“Mrs. Weasley?” Harry asked in confusion.

“You’re the son of a Death Eater. How could we have been so blind.” Molly hissed.

“You’re no better than Malfoy.” Ron added.

“B..but, we didn’t know…” Harry stammered, looking at his dad and Remus in shock.

Sirius growled as he stood. Harry let out a cry of horror as Sirius, along with Molly and Arthur drew their wands and yelled the killing curse at Severus and Remus. Harry ran to them as the green light faded and the two men fell to the floor. Dead.

“No! Dad! Remus!” Harry sobbed, trying to hug both men.

“This is what they deserved.” Fred stated.

“Yeah. A Death Eater and his friend. They don’t deserve to live.” George added.

“They were your friends!” Harry screamed at Sirius, Molly, and Arthur.

Sirius snorted in disgust. “No, James was my friend. It’s because of them that James is dead. If that Mudblood Lily had lived, I would have done the same.”

“Time for you to get what YOU deserve. Son of a Death Eater.” Molly stated, leveling her wand at Harry.

 

 

*End Dream*

 

 

Harry, still shaking, tried to walk to the door. The fear from his dream still holding him in its tight grip. He could feel his heart thudding erratically in his chest as he managed to reach and open his door. The only immediate thought in Harry’s mind was to make sure his dad was alive and that everything was a dream. A horrible nightmare. He made it two steps toward his dad’s room when his knees buckled, and he collapsed to the floor.

 

 

 

~0000~

 

 

Severus closed his book and sat it on the small table in his sitting area. That morning, Harry had written to Sirius and just before dinner, Sirius had replied. Severus sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. Just before lunch, Remus was going to Nottinghamshire to bring Sirius Black to the manor. Yes, Severus still wasn’t fond of the Animagus, but he was Harry’s Godfather, and he was a good friend of both James and Lily. He only hoped that those facts would help him and Sirius, possibly, put their past behind them and stand together for Harry’s sake. Just as he was about to climb into bed and sleep, a thud in the hall stopped him. Frowning, he grabbed his wand from the bedside table and stepped out of his bedroom. With a Lumos, he looked down the dark hallway. Seconds later he saw Harry.

“Harry!” Severus cried, running to where his son knelt. “Harry? Harry, can you hear me?”

“D…D…” Harry gasped.

“Remus! Remus!” Severus yelled, scooping Harry up into his arms still noting that Harry was too light for his age and grateful there wasn’t a full moon for another two weeks.

“Sev? What’s…Harry!” Remus asked, in shock entering Severus's room.

Severus barely noticed that Hermione too had entered the room as he hurried back into his bedroom. He gently lay Harry in the bed as Remus and Hermione rushed to his side. “Harry, can you talk to me? Son, I’m right here.”

“D…Dad? Alive?” Harry panted.

“Harry, take a slow breath. Slowly in.” Remus instructed softly, laying his hand over Harry’s heart. When Harry complied, Remus nodded. “That’s it. Now, release it just as slow.” Again, Harry did as he was told. “Good boy. Just breath in and out nice and slow. We’re right here.”

Severus could only watch as slowly; his son began to calm with each slow breath in and out. He looked up and shared a worried look with Remus. He noticed that Hermione stood next to the nightstand, wringing her hands, but staying out of the way. After nearly ten minutes, Harry had stopped shaking and his breathing was more normal. Severus reached out and brushed a lock of hair from Harry’s forehead. When Harry’s eyes meet his, he sees the fear in his son’s eyes.

“Harry, talk to us. What happened?” Severus asked gently.

“I…I had a…nightmare.” Harry began, sitting up slowly. “I…I dreamed that I told Sirius and the Weasleys. About you being my dad and everything that mum did to protect us. They, Sirius, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley I mean, they pulled out their wands and…I…I watched as they…cast the killing curse at you and Remus. Then…they turned…on…me. Saying I deserved it. That I was the son of a Death Eater.”

Severus felt his heart break as he pulled his son into his arms and stroked his back gently. Harry clutched the t-shirt that Severus wore. Laying his head atop Harry’s, Severus looked over at Remus, who was holding Hermione as she tearfully studied Harry. The two men had no idea what to say in that moment. When Harry finally relaxed, Severus sighed and leaned back a little. He gently tilted Harry’s chin up so that their eyes meet.

“Harry, Son, listen to me. I have known Molly and Arthur Weasley for a very long time. They love you and would never do anything to hurt you. Do you hear me? Never.”

“But…but they called you a…”

“It was just a dream though. Yes, I took the dark mark because my father forced me. The day after, I ran to Dumbledore as my father was away on a mission for Voldemort. Arthur and Molly, along with Minerva were there when I told him I would spy for him. While Black and I don’t like each other, he also knew what a bastard my father was and knew that I was not a Death Eater.” Severus assured him.

“Severus is right Harry. Sirius, Molly, and Arthur would never do anything that would cause you any pain. I promise.” Remus added as Hermione moved onto the bed behind Harry.

“Trust your dad and Remus, Harry. Everything will be fine.” Hermione whispered.

Harry nodded and curled into Severus’s arms, almost like a small child. Severus once more lay his head atop Harry’s and slowly began rocking him. He just nodded when Remus gently led Hermione out of the room. Now alone, Severus just whispered that everything was going to be okay. That Harry had nothing to fear in telling Sirius or the Weasley’s the truth. It was nearly ten minutes later when Remus returned.

“Sev, he’s asleep.” Remus whispered.

“God Remy, how do I help him?” Severus asked, his voice cracking.

Remus lay his hand on his best friend’s shoulder. “You’re doing it. You are comforting him. Showing him that he is not alone. That he is loved and wanted. I just got a reply from Sirius. When I go to get him tomorrow, I’m going to tell him about this. In fact, I’ll tell him everything before he gets here. He will be as upset as you and I are about Harry’s nightmare, but he will make sure that Harry knows that Sirius will still love him. No matter what.” Remus said.

“If…if you think it best.” Severus agreed.

“I do. It’s late, why don’t you keep Harry here with you. I know he’s a bit old to be sleeping in dad’s bed, but…”

“I agree. I think he and I need this. So much has happened in such a short time. For both of us.”

Remus smiled and nodded. “Yeah, it has. Good night Sev. I’ll see you both in the morning.”

“Good night, Remus. Thank you.” Severus smiled tiredly.

 

 

~0000~

 

 

Sirius stepped out of the alley in Nottinghamshire carefully. He tugged the muggle baseball cap a bit lower on his head as he stepped out onto the sidewalk. In about five minutes, he spotted Remus waiting for him outside the antique shop where he told Sirius to meet him. He was still a bit confused. He had received a letter from Remus first and then at around midnight, a letter from Harry. Both saying they needed to see him./p>

“Hey Remus.” Sirius greeted.

“Hey Siri.” Remus smiled.

The two hugged brotherly before Remus led them toward Prince Manor. By the time they reached the edge of the village, Remus had filled Sirius in on everything. The letters, Lily’s plan, as well as Harry’s nightmare.

“Sweet Circe. Remy, get me to Harry. Now.” Sirius said, emotion thick in his voice.

Remus gripped Sirius’s arm and apparated them both to the manor. Sirius started for the front doors the moment he and Remus reappeared. Sirius pushed inside, startling two house-elves that were arranging flowers in the entryway.

“Where’s Harry?” Sirius demanded.

“M…Master Harry is ins the living room.” Squeaked one of the elves, pointing at the room to the right.

Sirius turned and hurried into the room. Pushing open the doors, he found Severus sitting in an armchair reading a book and Harry and Hermione curled up together on the sofa watching what looked to be an old American western. All three turned and stared at Sirius. Slowly, Harry stood and round the sofa. He opened and closed his mouth several times, but no sound escaped.

Sighing, Sirius, closed the distance and pulled the young wizard into his arms. “Harry. Oh, Harry.”

“Sirius…please don’t…hate me.” Harry whispered fearfully.

“What?” Sirius gaped. His hands gripped Harry’s shoulders as he pulled back to look at him. “Why on Earth would I hate you? Because you’re Sn…Severus’s son?”

“I know you hate him…” Harry said quietly.

“Harry, look. Yes, he and I have had our issues. But maybe, maybe it’s time he and I both grow up.” Sirius sighed, glancing over at Severus. The two shared a look before nodding to one another. “Harry, I don’t give a damn who your father is. I love you for YOU. Do you hear me? YOU are my Godson. Mine and Remus’s. You will never loose me.”

“You mean it? You’re not mad because I’m not James’s son?” Harry looked up hopefully.

“Yes, I mean it. Who your parents are changes nothing. You are my Godson and I love you and will always love you.” Sirius sighed, pulling him into a tight hug.

“Oh Sirius. I was so scared you would hate me.” Harry whispered.

“Sshh. It’s okay Harry. Everything is going to be just fine.” Sirius smiled, looking over Harry’s head to once more lock eyes with Severus.

 

 

~0000~

 

 

Sirius was in shock as he finished reading the letters that Lily had written to both Severus and Harry. “Merlin’s beard. Why? Why did Lily and James not tell me?”

“Which part?” Remus asked.

“All of it!” Sirius exclaimed, pushing off the sofa and began pacing. “Hell, I never ever knew that you and James were cousins. If I had…”

“If you had what Black? Can you honestly tell me that it would have made any difference?” Severus interrupted.

Sirius stopped pacing and faced Severus. The two men stared at each other. Years of things passed through them. “Honestly…I don’t know if it would have changed anything. What I DO know is that Lily and James were both my friends. They asked me to watch out for Harry. I agreed. Like I told Harry, I don’t give a damn who his parents are, I’m here for Harry and Harry alone.”

“Fair enough.” Severus nodded. “I can only speculate as to why James never told you. I honestly believe it was because of my father. You know as well as I that he was a right bastard.”

“Yeah, worse than my father.” Sirius agreed.

“Bl…Sirius…” Severus paused a moment. “The only thing that protected Remus was his lyncropathy. As for Lily, my father never knew we were dating. And James, well, my father hated him from birth, so nothing changed. Before me and James started at Hogwarts, it was agreed by Uncle Fleamont, Aunt Euphemia, my mother, and our grandparents that the fewer people that knew of mine and James’s connection, the better. We knew that the more people who knew, the more targets my father would have for Voldemort.” Severus explained.

“That makes sense to me. So, where does that leave us now?” Sirius questioned, looking from Severus to Remus.

“It leaves us with us standing behind Harry. Training him for what he has to do. He needs us and we must be there. Now, if by some miracle, you and I can become some kind of friends, then as far as I’m concerned, that’s just an added bonus.” Severus smiled a little.

Sirius smiled and laughed, “Yeah, yeah it would be. Alright then. Shall we talk about telling the Weasleys?”