Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

happee birthdae harry.
“That’s one beautiful snowy owl you’ve got there, Harry,” Hagrid cooed, wiggling a tempted finger over Hedwig’s beak gently, stroking the feathers of her wings with a large, cupping hand. “Surprised you’ve got her hanging on your shoulder rather than inside her cage.”

Harry chuckles breathlessly at the way the feathered creature nips her beak at the giant’s finger, melting beneath his touch. She’s got her claws gripping onto his shoulder, and while Snape had been vehement about keeping her put in her cage while they were still out and about, he’d managed to mollify the man into letting him keep her out.

“I don’t think she’d like that; her wings must’ve been getting a bit bruised being all cooped up like she was,” he makes a show of spreading one wing open, taking care as to not ruffle it or put strain on it any further than necessary. “Professor Snape brought her for me!”

The man in question glares daggers into the back of Harry’s head, but he steadfastly ignores it in return for eyeing the unassuming white box that Hagrid’s holding in his other hand. There’s a swell in his heart that makes him feel weightless, a wave of nostalgia sweeping over him.

“Really, now? That’s mighty thoughtful of you, Professor.” There’s no undercurrent of sass or sarcasm as the giant says this; it’s genuine, just like everything else he says. He’s all-too-innocent if a bit naive in his lack of wisdom and character of judgement, but Harry loves him in that special place he has in his heart for him.

Hagrid lowers himself down to a kneel, though it doesn’t much change how overwhelming his height really is, Harry appreciates it. He offers up the boxed package, a small bashful smile gracing his features as he makes to open the flap.

Harry can already hear the inevitable face palm and exhausted sigh that comes from Snape behind him when he peers inside.

Happee Birthdae Harry

A birthday cake with rose-coloured frosting decorated with shaky letters in green enters his vision, the spelling errors going straight over his head the longer he stares. Hedwig’s hooting her presumed approval, probably saying something like yes, yes, good, very kind! But he’s too busy trying to keep his leaking tears away from getting onto the cake.

“Oh, Harry, you all right there? I didn’t mean to upset you, lad.”

The cover closes back over the top, and Hagrid’s lowered the box to the floor with his hands hovering around Harry’s face worriedly, settling for patting his back awkwardly. Snape has a hand enclosed on his shoulder, tugging him around a little, likely trying to gauge the reaction he’d given to cause the giant stress.

“I’m okay, I just—” He’s balled up the fabric of his jacket up to swipe away at the wetness staining his cheeks, giving the giant his best smile before launching himself forward and wrapping his small twig-like arms around his torso. Hedwig lets out a startled squawk from being jostled so roughly and abruptly, flapping her wings to escape the embrace and land on Snape’s shoulder.

The man spares her a cursory glance, wincing at the claws that dig through his robes.

“Thank you,” Harry whispers. Large, warm hands rest against the flat of his back comfortably. There’s the subtle sensation of Hagrid’s coarse beard tickling the tip of his nose, but he finds that he doesn’t mind it much. When he pulls away, he can tell that his glasses have gone askew by the way his vision falters. Hagrid pushes them lightly back onto his face without prompt, his watery eyes and broad shaky smile coming into view when Harry looks up at him.

“You’re very much welcome, Harry. Happy Birthday, lad.”
Chapter End Notes:
so short, oops.