Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 13 - Cé La Vie

Emmeline felt uncomfortable in that tight room. So many eyes still gave her curious, even shocked looks whenever they saw her. 

So she'd been a Slytherin?

So what?! 

She'd still fought for the order! 

"Everyone please be seated." Albus cried over the bustle. The room was surprisingly loud for having so few people in it. "How goes the hunt for Sirius Black?"

"Abysmal," Kingsley admitted with a sigh. "Part of it is that he knows all our tactics! How are we supposed to catch the person who helped us plan how to catch people?!"

"Come up with something new!" Hestia Jones argued. "It can't be that hard!"

"Well, for starters we don't know where to look," Tonk argued.

"Try all the Death Eater attacks." Alastair Moody piped up with a scowl. "Speaking of Snape, how are those?"

"I don't spy for the Order anymore Moody." Severus spat bitterly. "You of all people should know that, considering how you gloated about it so much."

"Oh right. You've been demoted to an over-glorified babysitter." Alastair dug shamelessly. 

"Alastor!" Minerva cried angrily. "Severus is protecting Harry Potter at great personal risk! How dare you belittle that!" 

"Speaking of the Death Eater attacks, have we been able to discern a pattern?"

"No. They're random as far as we can tell."

"No completely," Bill Weasley argued. "The attacks have been mostly centred around places owned or operated by sympathetic purebloods."

"So they're attacking 'blood traitors'?" Emmeline pipped up casually.

"Seems like it." Tonks agreed though she gave Emmeline a narrowed look. 

"Perhaps we can use this," Albus argued. "They likely hope to intimidate these people into joining their cause. But if we position ourselves as willing defenders, we can send them our way instead."

"That is if we can predict where they'll attack next," Tonks argued. 

"Redouble your efforts to find Sirius Black," Albus proclaimed, "I am certain if we find Sirius, we will know where the Death Eaters will strike next." The Order members all nodded and rose to leave. "Emmeline and Severus, could you stay a moment?" The pair exchanged a look.

"We really shouldn't leave Harry alone," Emmeline argued. 

"It will only take a moment," Albus assured her. So Severus and Emmeline remained behind. "How is young Harry?"

"Why do you care?" Severus demanded coldly. Albus' face grew sad as Emmeline gave him a shocked look.

"Severus-"

"Albus if you held us back just so you can ask inane questions about Harry we will take out leave."

"Hold a moment Severus." Albus said, "I didn't hold you back just to ask about Harry."

"Then what do you want Albus?" Severus demanded.

"Are you prepared for September? In terms of that special project I was hoping you'd take on."

"Yes." Severus ground out bitterly. "But I stand by my declaration that it is a bad idea. Given his connections-"

"What is the old adage? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I would feel better having him under my nose. But you also know that I do not doubt his loyalty. He was just as shaken as we were after all."

"Or an exceptionally better actor than we thought." Severus drawled bitterly. "Regardless, I am prepared."

"Excellent. Now, Emmeline dear, could you stay a moment longer?"

"Certainly." Emmeline offered though her curiosity was more than piqued. She gave Severus one last look, which he answered by giving the old man behind her an irritated scowl before he disappeared into the floo.


Harry looked up from Snappy as the floo roared to life. He close the book a little quicker than he ought, which made the enchanted book whine slightly. "Sorry!" He said before quickly petting his furry cover. "Where's Miss Emmeline?"

"Albus held her back, " Severus grumbled.

"Why?"

"You'll have to ask her when she comes back." He said with a huff. "Tea?"

"Yes please," Harry said before he stroked Snappy's spine again and flipped to the section about Hippocampuses again. He'd been overjoyed to see those pages and was fascinated by what he'd read. This Edwardus Lima really knew their stuff!

"Is it well written at least?" Severus demanded with a huff as he handed Harry his tea.

"Oh, it's brilliant! Really informative, and every section comes with these cool anatomical drawings." He lifted the book and showed how taping the symbols next to the illustrations showed things like organ positions, skeletal and muscular structure, as well the nervous system. The chapter on dragons was particularly fascinating, as it showed the different heads, and therefore skulls, of every domesticated dragon species. If you could call a dragon domesticated. "Fantastic Beasts was alright, but it was more anecdotal. This is more academic. Say what you will about Hagrid, but he knew how to pick the book. And the author explained in the foreword that the purpose of the enchantment was to prepare you for the journey of entering the field of magizoology."

"Hmmm," Severus said slowly. "Well, I suppose Rubeus may not be such a terrible professor after all."

"Oh, he's probably still gonna get someone injured," Harry argued matter of factly. "I love Hagrid, I really do, but he just doesn't see creatures the way everyone else does. No matter what he'd ever say to me, no way would I ever see Fluffy as 'cute'." 

"Decidedly not." Severus agreed with slightly harrowed eyes. He'd barely escaped that bloody beast with his life, let alone his leg. He frowned. "How did you get past the beast anyway?"

"Play a bit of music and he falls right to sleep." Harry said quickly "Quirrell had left an enchanted harp. Hermione was going to play her music box. It stopped playing at some point and he almost ate us whole but we managed to jump through the trap door before he could." 

"Right into a dark pit full of devil's snare."

"Hermione helped there again. She lit a fire." He snickered, "once she remembered she was a witch. I used the broom to catch the flying key."

"Weasley defeated the chess match," Severus recalled. "And the last few challenges?"

"Hermione solved your potion puzzle." Harry readily admitted. "I'm pants at logic puzzles. I definitely would have drunk poison or gotten drunk off of the wine."

"There were no poisons or wines," Severus admitted. Harry blinked. "all of the other potions were sleeping draughts. You would have simply collapsed and been collected when Albus came to rescue you from the Dark Lord."

"Well, that makes me feel loads better," Harry said with a sigh of relief. "I was genuinely terrified, you know!"

"That was the point," Severus said with a chuckle. "People who are fearful for their lives tend to make more mistakes."

"Right," Harry said with a huff. "Quirrell had already gotten rid of the troll. Pretty sure he killed it actually. Since Hermione solved the puzzle all I had to do was find the stone and beat Voldemort. Again."

"Oh yes," Severus said sardonically, "just that. Nothing too difficult for an eleven-year-old boy." 

"Er… well I didn't mean it like that," Harry argued sheepishly. "Voldemort wasn't even really alive anyway! He was just a husk or whatever. I'm sure the real deal would crush me in no time." Severus gave the young teen a nebulous look before he took a deep breath.

"I would rather you not say such things, Harry." He finally said. "It serves no purpose to tempt fate like that."

"Sorry." He replied sheepishly. Suddenly the fire roared to life again. Into the living room stepped Emmeline, looking one part shocked, one part flabbergasted. She looked between the two of them absolutely lost.

"Emmeline?" Severus began worriedly. "Are you alright?"

"Albus fired Cuthbert." Emmeline declared. Harry's jaw dropped.

"Binns?! But how? How can you fire a ghost?!"

"Who is he having replace him?!" Severus asked immediately after.

"Me," Emmeline admitted. Severus blinked.

"What?" 

"Albus said he wanted more Order members on staff, and that he's been getting more angry letters about Binns lately. He asked if I'd be willing to take the position. He said it would just be for a year, and if I didn't like it he would find someone else."

 "You're gonna teach History of Magic?" Harry cried in awe. Emmeline nodded. "Brilliant! That means the class isn't going to be terrible anymore!"

"You're not exactly qualified Emmeline," Severus muttered.

"I've studied plenty of history!" She argued. "Granted it was mostly through the lens of architecture, but I know of plenty of great resources to draw from." Suddenly she went wide-eyed. "I need to draft lesson plans! And find a good textbook! And send out summer homework!"

"Oh no!" Harry whined. "Please no more homework!"

"It'll be something simple I promise!" Emmeline assured him. "Now if you excuse me, I have several letters to write to colleagues of mine! Sensei Tsujinko will have great textbook suggestions I'm certain!" The woman cried exuberantly before digging into her suitcase for parchment and ink.


Harry was reading the wonderful witch on his bed while Hedwig peered over his shoulder. She seemed to like the comic, particularly scenes which included the wonderful witch's own owl, Daedalus. He was a tiny pygmy owl, who the wonderful witch had charmed to speak, and was very insightful. Hedwig cooed every time his little illustration flapped its wings or squawked in horror. Suddenly the door opened.

"Here you are, Harry!" Emmeline cried before she placed a book with a piece of parchment in the front cover on his desk. "Your final price of summer homework. It's due the first week of class, so you'd best start now." Harry groaned and dragged himself up and crossed the room to see what this homework was. Instantly he blinked.

Hogwarts: A History

"This is our textbook?" Harry cried in shock.

"Yep!" Emmeline said happily. "I've decided to rework the first through fourth-year curriculum into more of a British-based history course. Fifth through seventh becomes world history, starting from the dawn of recorded magic and ending with the end of You-Know-Who's the first rise to power."

"Really? That sounds fun. But why Hogwarts: A History?"

"It's not just about Hogwarts. The book is a rather cohesive history of Great Britain, even including references to the Irish giant wars and the Welsh dragon revolts.

"Dragon revolts?!" Harry cried in shock. Emmeline's face soured.

"Cuthbert really wasn't doing a very good job I see."

"The man's been dead for a century." Harry reminded her with a chuckle, "he probably was senile before that."

"Right," Emmeline said. Then she sighed. "The course will cover chapters 8 through 12, but I would suggest you read the whole thing once before doubling back. You don't need to read the text to answer the question though." Harry frowned and pulled out the sheet of parchment.

Using the space below, tell me which part of the castle is your favourite and why. 

Harry blinked. That was an odd question. He gave Emmeline a weird look.

"I'm using the homework to get to know my students a little better." She explained with a smile, "First years are going to tell me what they're most excited about. Second years have to tell me one thing they would change. Fourth years have to propose something new. Fifth years are tasked with creating a rough map of the school based on their own experiences. Sixth years provide a list of all the places they spend the most time and what they do there. And seventh years are to list five things they most going to miss upon leaving Hogwarts."

"Sounds interesting." Harry assented before he looked at the question again. It was surprisingly difficult the more he thought about it. His favourite part of Hogwarts? He didn't really have a single favourite! On another scrap, he began listing all the places he liked more than others. Emmeline smiled and walked away, letting the teen muddle it out. Severus looked up as she descended the stairs. 

"I take it Harry was none too pleased with the prospect of more homework?" 

"I think I surprised him," Emmeline said with a chuckle. "No matter what you say about being too kind Severus, I want to get to know my students before I teach them."

"Just as long as you realize that once September starts failing to be sufficiently stern will make them walk all over you."

"The difference between your class and mine Severus is that I don't have to stop my students from blowing themselves up." Emmeline insisted, "just keep them from falling asleep."

"Being stern would achieve the same outcome."

"But it isn't my way,"

"Your way is too soft!"

"Well, your way just accentuates your bitterness!"

"I am not bitter!"

"Oh yes, you are!"

"Erm…"

"What?!" both adults snapped before they realized Harry was the one interrupting him. He didn't seem hurt by the harsh word. Rather he appeared to be rather amused. He wondered if the pair had realized how close they'd drifted towards each other during that little spat. 

"I finished my homework," Harry said. "It was a surprisingly hard question you know. At least for me. I'm sure Hermione will say the library and Ron will say the Great Hall or something. But I really had to struggle." Emmeline took it, still folded and cleared her throat.

"Thank you, darling, sorry for snapping at you."

"It's okay," Harry assured her, cheeky grin drifting back into place. Then he skedaddled back up the stairs. Both adults watched this with slight confusion. But when Emmeline turned back around the weight of the room became suffocatingly awkward. She cleared her throat again and unfolded Harry's homework.

My favourite part of Hogwarts is the entrance hall. Because every time I see it it reminds me that I'm there again, and that I get to be with my friends and family and have adventures. I'm sure most people would say the Great Hall would be a better place to feel reminded of that, but to me, the entrance hall just feels so welcoming. Standing in the entrance, it feels almost like Hogwarts itself is giving you a hug, and welcoming you back. That's why it's my favourite.

She felt her eyes moisten as she reached the end. It wasn't flowery or fancy language. But Harry had shown he didn't need it. He just expressed his though, honestly and sincerely. Emmeline passed it to Severus with a sly, though emotional expression.

"Still think my questions are stupid?" She asked as he took the price of parchment.

"I never said they were stupid," Severus argued before he looked down to read the little note. By the end, he was staring at the page in blinking shock.

"This is… surprisingly profound." He finally muttered in awe. Emmeline laughed.

"Oh Severus," she began before she placed a kiss on his head, just above his temple. 

Instantly the rest of her thought disappeared.

Emmeline was straight as a board, still as ice. What did I just do?!

Severus wasn't much better. The parchment in his hands was fluttering in his fluctuating grip while his eyes stared at it blindly. Did she just- But why? Good Merlin did she-

"I should go." Emmeline declared. "I need to get my office organized! Good night!" Severus stood and opened his mouth to wish her well, but the fire was red again before he had the chance.

Or maybe the courage?

The man scowled and rubbed his face.

"Dammit, Emmeline." He berated her gently. This was so like her! Then he stomped off back to his lab. He had to triple-check his project now anyway. Thanks to Albus' nagging he was now hyper-aware that he might have missed something. 


Dear Harry,

Happy birthday!

I'm sorry we couldn't have a party again this year…

One of these days it'll happen.

I hope you find your gift useful! I know you've only had the broom for two years but I figured it would be nice to have in the future.

I'm so excited to hear that you decided to take something more academic rather than something easy. Ron decided to go with divinations for the easy credit. Ancient runes will be much more useful!

I can't believe Ms. Vance will be replacing Binns! And having Hogwarts: A History as a school book is wonderful! It's one of my favourites you know! And now you and Ron will have to read it too! You'll finally see what all the fuss is about!

I was very intrigued by the homework that she assigned as well. Rather unconventional, but I suspect she's using the question to get to know us better. She seems to be an intelligent woman based on what you've told me. I'm very excited to learn from her.

Summer is almost over. In just a couple of weeks we'll be in Hogwarts again. I can't wait to see what the new year has in store.

Hope to hear from you again soon!

Love,

Hermione

 

Dear Harry,

How's your summer been? I hope you like your gift! I bought it in Egypt! The bazaars had all sorts of cool stuff. Fred and George wanted to buy a couple shrunken heads that insult people's intelligence but mum wouldn't let them.

I can't wait to tell you all about the trip! It was really cool! The tombs were really amazing!

I was kinda miffed when Hermione said your taking ancient runes. I thought we'd be in divinations together! Ah well. We're all taking care of Magical creatures together. So I guess it's fine. 

Speaking of creatures, I still can't find Scabbers. I've looked everywhere! Fred joked that I must have left him behind in Cairo but I swear I didn't! I had him when we got home! 

Hermione said  

Well, it doesn't matter. She wrote to apologize and gave me a whole bunch of things she read about to help find rats.

He'll turn up

But I'm really worried. He got really sick when we were in Egypt. What if he

Can't wait to see you again in September.

Talk to you later!

Ron

 

Harry looked at Ron's letter with a sad frown. Ron still hadn't accepted that his furry friend was probably dead. If he'd been sick before coming home that was the logical conclusion. He was glad Hermione had apologized, but he knew that eventually, Ron would have to accept it. He blinked at looked out the dormer window to the distant ocean. 

Well, that was rich coming from him, wasn't it?

Harry looked down at the letters in his hands.

Dudley had friends who probably would never know what happened to him. Not really anyway. He wasn't even sure if the Order had just covered it up or if the muggles ever knew what happened to his family. He suddenly imagined Piers, looking sad and forlorn as he wandered around Privet Drive without Dudley. It was strange to feel so genuinely sorry for one of his oldest tormentors, but he couldn't stop the tears that dropped down his cheeks. He sniffled and wiped his face for what seemed like the millionth time this summer. He just felt so pent-up. He had all these emotions that he didn't know how to get out-

He stopped.

Yes, he did! 

Then he faltered.

Could he really ask Severus…

It made him… embarrassed.

Then he scowled.

What was he talking about! He was a Gryffindor! He could do this! It wouldn't be that hard. So he went downstairs. But it was eerily silent. Emmeline must have left again for some reason. Severus was likely in his lab. Harry hesitated. Severus had said his lab was absolutely off limits. But he'd also sent Harry down there to get stuff to help Emmeline. Maybe it would be okay if he got permission. So he walked up to the pantry door and knocked. There was a moment where he thought that maybe the man wouldn't hear him, given the distance he knew stretched from the door to the actual lab. But then the door opened so quickly he jumped back.

"Emm I-" Severus began before he blinked. "Oh… Harry. It's you."

"Did you and Emmeline get into another fight?" Harry asked as casually as he could. He hadn't heard anything this time. But maybe they'd used silencing charms. He really hoped it wasn't about him again. That had been so awkward and uncomfortable. 

"No." Severus insisted. "Nothing of the sort."

"Okay," Harry said then he felt his earlier nervousness rear its ugly head. "Erm…"

"What's wrong?" Severus demanded.

"Well, I was wondering… if you're not busy of course. But you probably are so I should just… yeah, what am I talking about? nevermind." Harry muttered. But as he turned to walk away, kicking himself for his stupidity the man's hand stuck out and grabbed his shoulder. 

"Harry," Severus admonished sternly, "what is rule number 5?" Harry frowned. Honestly, he didn't remember the other four, besides the one about picking up after himself, which he would have done anyway. He was pretty sure one was about mealtimes, but Severus or Emmeline always called him down for those, so it was kinda moot. "You are to tell Emmeline or me when something is bothering you."

"Oh yeah," Harry said sheepishly. It was such a weird bizarre and backward rule that he'd ever had during the summer. He then realized that Severus was still looking at him, now rather frustrated and expectant. "I just… I was wondering if you could take me to the cliffs of Dover again." He finally mumbled. Severus rose an eyebrow.

"I see. Any particular reason?"

"I just…" he paused. "can it help… when you're sad as well as angry?"

"Sometimes." Severus accented slowly. "What exactly has you upset?"

"I… I can't stop crying." Harry admitted and instantly looked away in horror. He couldn't believe he'd just admitted that to Severus Snape of all people! But then the hand on his shoulder gave him a gentle squeeze. 

"About your family."

"Dudley." Harry clarified. The minute he said the name his breath hitched. "he was my age… he had friends, and school and… and he didn't deserve that." Harry sniffed as more tears dribbled out. "he was just a kid!" He sobbed. "it's not fair!" And suddenly his face was in the familiar, slightly scratchy feel of the fabric of the cardigans that Severus always wore. Harry sobbed and wrapped his arms around the man and cried into his chest. After a while, the familiar feeling of Emmeline's fingers carding his hair returned which made him calm considerably. A while later his hiccups finally quieted. He pulled away and turned around to thank Emmeline, but she wasn't there. He looked back at Severus in blinking confusion. Then Severus pulled his hand away from his hair. Harry blinked. Had Severus done that because he knew Harry found it calming? 

"Come sit," Severus instructed as he pulled out a chair. Harry nodded and settled into the chair. Despite the good cry he still felt miserable. He snarled and wiped his face again. He was so sick and tired of being sad! A cup of hot chocolate landed in front of him. Harry stared at it and sighed. 

For once, he didn't feel like hot chocolate. 

Severus sighed which made him look up.

"I've signed you up for grief counselling." The man declared. Harry blinked. 

"Counseling… like… with a shrink?" Harry demanded with a touch of rage.

"A child psychiatrist." Severus corrected. "She comes highly recommended here in Dover."

"I'm not crazy!" Harry cried, angrily rising to his feet. The act bumped the table, sending his hot chocolate cascading across the surface. Severus flicked his wand before the hot liquid could reach him, with a heavy sigh.

"I did not say you were crazy," Severus said as evenly as he could. "I said you were grieving. Which is a perfectly sane and natural thing for you to do, given the circumstances." He sighed, placing his mug down and folding his fingers in front of him. "But I've found that you seem to be… struggling. And Emmeline and I are not fully capable of helping you through these issues." Severus gave Harry a firm look. "I know this is something you struggle with Harry, but there is nothing inherently weak about asking for help."

"I don't not ask for help because I think it's weak!" Harry argued angrily. "I don't ask because no one ever gives it anyway! So what's the bloody point!"

"Well, I have asked for you," Severus said firmly. "And she was more than willing to offer it."

"Well, maybe I don't bloody need her help!" Harry snarled. "I don't need a shrink prying! I'm perfectly alright to fix this… whatever on my own!" 

"Harry you are a thirteen-year-old boy," Severus said in exasperation. "You cannot truly think you can solve all of your life's problems on your own."

"I was handling it just fine!" Harry said angrily.

"The tear stains on my cardigan say otherwise," Severus muttered, plucking at the aforementioned garment. Harry's cheeks went red first with embarrassment and then with shame. Then his face twisted up in a vile scowl.

"This is just what you want, isn't it? To do all this so you can go back to Hogwarts and tell all the Slytherins what a weak and pathetic crybaby I am." He spat. Severus stared at him in silence for several minutes.

"You must truly have a very low view of me if you think I would do such a thing." He finally said. Harry flinched at his tone. It sounded almost… hurt. "I am not doing this for any other ulterior motive but to see you mentally and emotionally well again Harry. I know that hearing this will be truly unbelievable, which in itself is a tragedy of the highest order, but it is the truth, whether you believe it or not." the teen stared down at his feet, feeling rather ashamed about his outburst. Then slowly he sat down again.

“When am I gonna meet her then?” he mumbled.

“Next weekend,” Severus said matter of factly. “I have told her about your… circumstances. As a muggle of course I had to reword it slightly. She believes your family was killed during a somewhat atypical home invasion. She’s also under the impression that I'm fostering you. Neither of these is far from the truth if we’re being honest.”

”aside from the fact that the Death Eaters were looking for me,” Harry argued bitterly. Severus huffed.

“Harry, even if that were the case that does not make you responsible for your family's deaths. The Death Eaters had the power and the means. They alone are responsible.” Harry scowled. He wasn't hearing anything new from the man. Why couldn't he see it the way Harry did? 

If he had been there, then the Death Eaters would have just come after him. 

Then Dudley would still be alive. 

Maybe the shrink would get it.

"Who is she anyway?" Harry suddenly blurted out. The man frowned before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a business card.

"Dr. Clarisse Fobbs-Warwick" Severus read aloud. Harry pulled a face. Ugh. What a mouthful. Hopefully, she wouldn't be a stickler about that. "Try to keep an open mind, Harry."

"Fine," Harry muttered sullenly.

"Do you still want to walk out to the cliffs?" Severus asked him. Harry frowned. He kinda sorta did. So he nodded. Severus nodded as well and stood up, casting a spell over his cardigan so it was clean and pressed once more. "Grab a sweater. It's a bit nippy out." Harry nodded and rushed to get one. As he came back downstairs Severus was scribbling a short note to Emmeline before setting it on the couch. Then he reached into the umbrella stand. "In case it rains." Then he opened the door. Harry followed him and then frowned as the man kept walking through the stone gate towards the drove way. The sky was already a deep ruby orange and the setting sun was sinking down over the horizon. 

"We're walking?" He asked. Severus looked back.

"I enjoy the hike from time to time. It's a good walk for clearing one's mind." He reasoned. Harry shrugged and followed. It wasn't a quick walk. By the time they reached the cliffs, only a tiny sliver of the sun remained, casting the sky into a deep pink while a twinkle of stars scattered above them. Harry looked up at the heavens and marvelled. He'd only ever seen stars like this at Hogwarts. Living in a suburb, in the gloam of southern London, stars were a luxury rarely seen. He looked back out to see the last of the pink light filter down down until the sky was only black and the stars shone brightly.

"I guess we should head home," Harry muttered absentmindedly. Severus faltered as he stood.

Home?

He looked at Harry, who looked so small and lost in the darkness.

He needed a home.

had Severus really given him one?

Could he really give him one?

But then what was home but a place where you could be yourself? Where there were people who cared for you and catered to your needs and whims. In that way, Severus truly had given Harry the home he'd always deserved.

It was a shame that it couldn't last.

Severus suddenly had another thought. But this thought was a little more…

Ambitious

But then again

He was a Slytherin. 

"Indeed." Severus finally answered. He reached out a hand for Harry's shoulder. The teen braced himself. Severus took that moment to give his shoulder a reassuring squeeze before they disappeared, leaving the cliffs to their nightly peace.