Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 15 - Growing With The Times

Harry looked down at the paper with slight apprehension. 

Another attack.

This time around Shropshire. 

No one was killed, but several families' houses had been burned down and a couple of people were hurt, including the house of Eloise Midgen, a girl in his own year. Her father had also been injured in what The Prophet described as a 'mad panic' which Harry took to mean some kind of stampede. He'd never given much attention to Eloise, owing to her rather splodgy complexion and doughy features. But he really ought to be kinder the next time he saw her.

But that was only one side of the paper. The other side was just as ominous.

 

SIRIUS BLACK SIGHTED!

Madman Seen Skulking Through London

Ministry bungles at Black's brashness

 

It was a damming title. But what really irked him was that Black had apparently been seen not far from Kings Cross.

And it was September 1st

"Harry darling? Are you ready to go?" Emmeline called from downstairs. Harry hesitated. When Emmeline had offered to take him to King’s Cross last week he'd been ecstatic. But now he was terrified that he might be putting her in terrible danger again. As he looked down at his trunk, filled with apprehension and doubt, the door opened.

"Come along Harry!" Severus growled. "Emmeline and I need to be at Hogwarts by noon." Harry blinked. He'd forgotten how dour and menacing Severus was in his teaching robes. He seemed too stiff and starched. And much more relaxed in a cardigan and cotton trousers.

"Can I… just apparate with you?" Harry questioned nervously. Severus raised an eyebrow, then looked down at the paper and sighed.

"I'd hoped you hadn't seen that " he muttered before snatching up the paper and tossing it onto the desk. Harry looked around the once again empty room and felt his heart twist.

The end of the dream.

"Where am I going to stay next year?" He suddenly blurted out. Severus gave Harry a quiet contemplative look.

"I do not know." He answered truthfully. "Albus is trying to figure out what would be best. I can nag him about it for you if you'd like." He scowled lightly. Albus had been pretty cagey about it lately. Something about his casual suggestion had set off alarm bells in the old man. "Might help him make a decision before your thirty." He finally grumbled under his breath. Harry just smiled. He was used to Severus' sarcastic wit by now and understood a lot more of his cutting remarks as extremely thickly veiled compliments. He also had a predominantly self-effacing black humour, complete with the occasional muttered profanity, which tended to come out more when he was in a somewhat bad mood. Of course, he couldn't be heard saying these things in the halls of Hogwarts, which explained his perchance for being a snarling old grouch. 

But Harry hadn't missed his time here.

In fact, he'd probably miss it more than Hogwarts.

"Boys?" Emmeline finally said as she pushed open the door. "We're going to be late soon. What's going on."

"Harry is nervous about the article about Black," Severus said casually. He didn't mention anything about Harry's apprehension about what lay after the school year, for which Harry was very greatful.

"Oh, you don't have to worry darling! Severus and I will be with you, watching for any sign of danger."

"Yeah, but what if you’re being there doesn't matter to him? Peter Pettigrew being there didn't exactly hold him back the first time." Harry reminded her with a wince. The last thing he wanted was for both of them to end up unsightly splodges on the brickwork.

"If you are concerned about Black not holding back should he attempt to attack King’s Cross, you needn't worry. I have no intention of holding back either." 

"What about Death Eaters! What if they attack the train?" Harry demanded. Severus chuckled.

"Harry, who are the Death Eaters?"

"Disgruntled purebloods with unnecessarily large chips on their shoulders?" Harry replied. Severus smiled at that response. Very accurate.

"And what do many of them have in common with one Lucius Malfoy?"

"They're all prats?"

"A lot of them have children, Harry," Emmeline explained with a smile.

"Children who attend Hogwarts, and who would be too likely to be hurt as collateral should the train be attacked." Severus reminded him. Harry sighed.

"I know that once I'm at Hogwarts, I should be relatively safe, but I can't help but feel like something bad is gonna happen." He huffed. "This is gonna be the longest Hogwarts Express ride ever."

"That will give you plenty of time to catch up with your friends!" Emmeline argued with a grin. Severus snorted and rolled his eyes.

"Well, you'll miss the train if we don't leave now." Then Snape leaned down and picked up his trunk. "So come along." Harry nodded and trudged after him and Emmeline. He looked around the cottage one last time. He swallowed thickly.

"Harry darling?" Emmeline called with slight worry. "Are you alright?" Harry turned around and gave her what he hoped was a convincing smile, but he was pretty sure his eyes were shiny with unshed tears.

"Yeah." He said. "I'm fine." He watched with the weight of finality on him as Snape turned and locked the cottage door behind him and placed a number of charms over it. 

That's it then.

Goodbye Dover

A hand landed on his shoulder. The weight was a familiar comfort now. He wondered when he might feel it again. He looked up at his professor with all the doubt and worry and sadness he dared show. He didn't think he imagined the small squeeze that had followed before he was pulled into the crushing force of apparition.


Harry walked down the platform, trolley and hands. It was a familiar path now. Well… relatively. The last two times he'd come here hadn't exactly been ordinary. 

Ordinary for wizards anyway.

"The train leaves in twenty-five minutes," Emmeline muttered. Harry smiled.

This year really wasn't either.

But in a good way.

Harry picked up the pace, practically jogging to get to the platform. When he saw the section he broke into a run.

"Harry darling!" Emmeline cried in exasperation, "wait for us!" But the momentum of the cart pulled Harry into the platform. It was very crowded, and everyone seemed to be arriving at once. Instantly Harry froze. He was in a massive crowd of unknown wizards.

Completely alone. 

"POTTER!" 

He screamed and drew his wand, spinning around and jabbing it into the chest of his attacker. Then he looked up and froze. Severus was staring down at him with a blank face, hands raised in surrender. Harry swallowed and sheepishly lowered his wand. Severus leaned down, so they were practically nose to nose.

"I apologized for startling you." He hissed, though his face was snarled up as if he was absolutely furious with him. "Until I know the extent of the destruction of my reputation, I am going to act as though we are still enemies."

"Oh," Harry muttered with another stabbing pain of loss. Then he sighed 

It was a dream, Harry.

Time to wake up.

"Come along!" Severus snapped as he grabbed Harry's arm and pulled him back towards Emmeline. His hand wasn't painful, but rougher than he'd been all summer, painfully reminding him of who his professor had always been. Then he frowned.

"Hang on! You acted pretty normally around Hermione."

"I trust Granger to understand discretion," Severus muttered darkly. "I do not trust the greater Hogwarts population, with its ever infamous rumour mill."

"It'll come out eventually, Severus. Nothing stays secret at Hogwarts." Emmeline countered. "Nothing."

"I am content with eventually." Severus drawled, "provided that eventually is after we get to Hogwarts."

"That might be a touch difficult," Emmeline said softly. "Lucius is here." Harry froze and went to turn around but Severus grabbed his shoulder. 

"Don't." He hissed, though he looked slightly apprehensive. "Go. Get on the train."

"Wait a moment!" Emmeline said before she smoothed out his robes and ran a hand through his hair then gave him a hug. "See you soon darling. Be good."

"Not much I can get up to on the train," Harry argued with a grin. Severus scowled.

"I wouldn't put it past you, Potter." He argued, sounding familiar for the first time since Harry had stepped onto the platform. Harry couldn't help the small smile that pulled at the corner of his lips. The old Severus was under there. He just had to look real close. Emmeline placed a kiss on his forehead, just left of his scar. 

"Go on darling." She insisted. Harry felt his heart still. It was another scene from his birthday wish. Sure Severus was doing an excellent job of looking like he wished to be anywhere else, but Harry could imagine a very different look on his face. But instead of saying anything he turned and stepped onto the train. He turned back, as the train whistle blared and the doors closed. He wasn't alone as others leaned out windows and waved to parents. He didn't wave, but he did smile as Emmeline did. Then something made him freeze.

"PROFESSOR SNAPE!"  He cried in horror. That split-second warning was enough. The man whirled around, catching the knife that had been about to plunge into his throat and flipped his aggressor over. Harry made a horrified noise of alarm as Emmeline drew her wand. Then the train turned the corner. Several students were leaning nearly half out the window making noises of alarm and shock. Suddenly a Slytherin prefect charged up the train with wide eyes.

"Flint jumped the train!" He declared. 

"Did he attack professor Snape?!"

"Why?!"

"How could he possibly think that was a good idea!"

"Harry!" The teen whirled around.

"Ron! Hermione!"

"What happened?! We saw someone jump Snape on the platform!" Ron cried in shock.

"Marcus Flint," Harry confirmed.

"Bloody hell!" Ron cried then he sighed. "Too bad Flint ’s a knob." Harry scowled. Then Hermione struck the ginger teen on the arm.

"Ronald! How could you say that? You of all people should know how important professor Snape is to the school!"

"I don't want him dead!" Ron argued. "Just… not teaching. Flint could have cut his vocal cords, or maybe messed up his eyes?" Harry was slowly turned differing shades of green and red. He was seriously considering punching Ron in the face.

"Ronald!" Hermione cried in frustration. "Stop talking!" Then she looked around and huffed before dragging Harry and Ron down the hall to a more secluded car. She dragged them into the very first compartment and pulled the blinds closed. "Ronald, Harry has been staying with professor Snape all summer. It would not be an unthinkable thing to assume that he and professor Snape would have reconciled!"

"Reconciled?! Seemed like He was treating Harry like a prat, same as always!" Ron argued.

"Yes! But given the current political climate, that makes perfect sense!" Hermione argued furiously.

"Political climate?" Ron questioned.

"What is it you're always saying, Ron? All Slytherins are evil Death Eaters? By that estimation, and indeed Marcus Flint has just proven this, so are lots of students! And therefore, it simply wouldn't do for the head of Slytherin house to be seen in public being chummy with Harry Potter now would it!" Hermione said angrily. Ron blinked.

"Well .. yeah I guess… but what about those years he was a dick before?! Harry, you haven't really reconciled with him have you? How could you?! After everything!"

"He's not so bad, you just have to get to know him, and figure out his sense of humour."

"But he's an ugly evil prat!" Ron roared. Harry growled and curled his hands into fists.

"That is it, Ronald!" Hermione shouted and stepped between them, to stop the upcoming fight. "You are not allowed to talk about professor Snape until you write an essay about sensitivity and the importance of maturity."

"Wot?!" Ron cried in shock. "I'm not writing an essay for you! You're not a teacher!"

"Excuse me." A reedy hollow-sounding voice called from behind them. The trio jumped, Harry immediately drawing his wand on instinct, and whipping around. Turns out the compartment wasn't empty. A thin weak looking man was curled up in the window seat with a tatty patchworked cloak wrapped around him. He had a small smile but looked absolutely bushed. "As entertaining as this conversation has been to listen to, I am rather under the weather and would like to continue sleeping before we arrive at Hogwarts. So if you could continue your conversation at a quieter volume that would be wonderful," he asked weakly. Hermione scanned him once before she nodded.

"Sorry professor Lupin." She said gently. The man smiled and nodded before pulling the cloak over his eyes once again. Ron blinked.

"How do you know his name? And how do you know he's a professor?!" He whispered. Hermione rolled her eyes

"The monogrammed Suitcase. The fact he said 'we' arrive at Hogwarts, and the fact that Gilderoy Lockhart is currently in a psychiatric ward. Therefore, by process of elimination, he is likely our new defence professor." She muttered. 

"Oh," Ron said with a wince, before leaning in closer. "Well this one will be quick, looks like a strong wind will blow him over. Suppose it's another Quirrell?" Harry swallowed roughly.

"I hope not." He said worriedly. With the Death Eaters running around, and Black on the loose, the idea that Voldemort would try to get into the school again, directly and not through whatever magic his diary was, was terrifying.

“Honestly Ronald, how thick can you be!” Hermione growled before hitting the boy again.

“Ow!” he whined. “Alright alright! Keep your knickers on.”

“I mean what I said before! No more talking about professor Snape.”

“But-”

“None!”

“Fine.” Ron accented with a grumble. Harry smiled. Now, this was familiar. It helped banish a lot of his anxiety about Black. Then he sighed.

“Sit down,” he began tiredly, “I’ve got to tell you something.”


“So Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban to come after you?!” Ron cried in horror. Harry just nodded tiredly. Hermione looked distraught.

"Not only that but, in addition to him being your godfather, he's also the man responsible for bringing Voldemort to your parents?!"

"Yeah."

"Bloody hell mate," Ron said with a wince.

"That's horrible." Hermione declared with a sad look. 

"It's been a tough summer," Harry admitted. He really had loved living and spending time in Dover, but he'd also been extremely tense ever since Emmeline and Severus had told him the truth about his connection with Sirius Black. He constantly felt as though he was putting the people he cared about in danger by proximity.

"Well… The Ministry will catch him!" Hermione insisted. "It's their job!"

"Well yeah," Ron agreed skeptically, "only… well no one has escaped from Azkaban before, and the Death Eaters have started to come back…"

"Ronald," Hermione began with an irritated scowl. The ginger blinked before he looked at a somewhat queasy, extremely nervous-looking Harry. "Not helping." she finished with a hiss.

"But yeah!" Ron hastily added. "I'm sure they'll figure it out! He'll be caught by Christmas!" Harry sighed and shook his head.

"Here's hoping," then he huffed, steeling himself. "Let's just forget about all this! I want to get to Hogwarts, have dinner and go to bed. And then we'll all have a nice normal quiet year at Hogwarts!" He declared. 

The train screeched to a halt, throwing Harry and professor Lupin half off their bench. 

"Oh, bollucks." Harry cursed bitterly. Trouble already?! He wasn't even at Hogwarts! "Really shouldn't have jinxed it."

"Maybe we've broken down," Hermione argued. Then the lights began to flicker out, plunging the train into darkness. Ron looked out the window, but the dark night beyond was a sea of murk. There was a sound of groaning metal and the train rumbled slightly.

"I think someone just boarded the train." He muttered with slight fear.

"Quiet!" Professor Lupin suddenly snarled. Harry looked over in the general direction for the voice with some relief. He'd forgotten he was there for a second. He was very grateful for the man who, at least theoretically, knew how to defend himself. Then all of the sudden the temperature plummeted. Harry's teeth began to rattle as a cold feeling pulled at his chest. The thought of sunlight and warmth was now impossible, and the idea that he could be or even ever was happy disappeared in a fleeting moment. He was fleetingly aware of Lupin's voice rumbling out something. He looked over and his mouth opened in a silent scream. A massive, cloaked thing was towering over him. Then it turned its… face?... towards him and sucked in a rattling breath. Harry's chest seized as cold filled his lungs. The world went dark around the edges before it took over. The last thing he heard as the world went black was a woman screaming out his name. 


"-rry? -arry? Harry!" Hermione shouted. Harry winced and opened his eyes. The lights were back and he could feel the train moving under him again.

"Finally awake again." Professor Lupin said with a smile. "Here." He said before he held out half a bar of Honeyduke’s best. "Best eat all of that. I'm sure it won't spoil your dinner." Harry readily took two bites. But the relief he was expecting wasn't as strong as he was used to making him grimace. "Something wrong?"

"It's really better to drink it." He muttered. "Gets into your bloodstream faster, and makes it stronger." Remus blinked before he laughed.

"You've been spending too much time with Severus." He muttered, though his smile was all mirth as he gave harrys shoulder a surprisingly firm pat. Then he stood up. "Now please excuse me, I need to have a little word with our conductor. It was a pleasure meeting you, Harry."

"You as well sir," Harry muttered as he continued to eat the chocolate. The more he ate the more he could feel it working, but it was definitely not as effective as hot chocolate would have been."

"What was that?" Ron demanded with a frown.

"What was what?" Harry asked.

"'Gets into your bloodstream faster’?! Bloody hell mate he wasn't kidding, you sounded just like Snape!"

"Ah ah ah!" Hermione cried "what was the rule?"

"Wot?! Oh, come on!" Ron crowed angrily.

"Forget about that!" Harry insisted, exasperated, "what was that thing, from before?"

"A dementor," Ron said nervously. "They're the guards for Azkaban prison, professor Lupin said they were probably checking the train to make sure Black wasnt on board, seeing as he was spotted near King’s Cross the other day."

"Those things guard prisons?!" Hermione in horror, "well no wonder Black is mad! I mean look what it did to Harry!"

"Dad says that some people react stronger than others to them. He said there was one guy he knew that couldn't get within twenty feet of a dementor without vomiting. And another would faint just from mentioning the word!"

"Pretty sure that's an exaggeration." Hermione scoffed. Soon their bickering became a comforting familiar lull as Harry closed his eyes and let the chocolate do its job.


Harry stepped out of the rain into the entrance hall with a grateful relieved sigh. Finally home. Nice familiar Hogwarts, with its familiar feel and its familiar walls. 

"Harry!" He blinked as was suddenly hurried in soft velveteen robes. "Oh, Harry darling are you alright? I heard what happened on the train! Were you hurt?! Let me look at you!" Emmeline cried before she pushed him away and inspected him, turning his face back and forth.

"I'm fine!" Harry whined, feeling self-conscious as his classmates looked on with intrigue and a few snickers. This was so embarrassing!

"Are you sure?" Emmeline insisted. Then she huffed “Albus added hot chocolate to the dinner service. I want you to have at least two cups!"

"Muuum!!" Harry whined before he froze. Emmeline also flinched back, dashing her hands away in an instant. His classmates were now staring at him like he'd grown another scar. Emmeline just cleared her throat.

"Terribly sorry Mr. Potter." She said, instantly sounding official, which made Harry wince further. "You better get inside." She said as she turned away to enter the Great Hall herself. Harry instantly wanted to skip the feast and go straight upstairs and bury his head under the blankets of Gryffindor tower until the year was over. He'd probably get over his embarrassment by then.

"Come on Harry," Hermione muttered as she dragged him toward their table. The teachers were all standing, muttering in a little cluster before they separated to their seats. Harry looked at professor Snape, but he looked the same as always. Flint's attack looked as though it hadn't fazed him at all. Harry sat and quietly watched the sorting ceremony, clapping when a new Gryffindor arrived of course. Then Dumbledore stepped forward for the start of the term speech.

"Hello hello! I'm sure all you older children will join me in wishing our newest students a heart Hogwarts welcome!" There was another smattering applause. "I have a few start-of-term announcements to get through before we can commence our lovely feats. First, professor Cuthbert Binns has been… convinced to take a short break," Dumbledore offered with a chuckle. "In his place, professor Emmeline Vance will be taking up the post of History of Magic professor." Emmeline stood and smiled at them and the student clapped politely. "Next, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, professor Remus Lupin. Good luck professor."

"You’re gonna need it!" Fred Weasley bellowed from Gryffindor table. The entire school laughed or snickered. Professor Lupin didn't look affronted or shocked; he just smiled and waved at them all cheerfully. Harry grinned. Then he looked over at Snape again and blinked. The man was seething. Honestly! He'd never even looked at Harry with that much loathing. Then Harry looked back and instantly saw why. Lupin and Emmeline were whispering to one another, chatting like old friends. Then Emmeline laughed and put a hand on Lupin's arm. Harry looked back to see Severus mopping up his spilled wine, muttering under his breath in what Harry was sure was one heavily profane rant.

"And last, but certainly not least, professor Kettleburn has decided to retire, in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs," Dumbledore said candidly, which raised another slight chuckle in a few of the older students. "I'm his place, I'm delighted to announce that the post will be taken up by none other than our very own Rubeus Hagrid!" Most of Hogwarts sent up a cheer, save a few Slytherins, who turned their noses up in disgust. Hagrid caused a bit of a stir as he stood up, pushing the long staff table forward and knocking over a few goblets. "And finally!" Dumbledore called, drawing everyone back down, "I have some… less jubilant news to announce." His tone grew grim and his face stern. "Due to the rise of activity in the terrorist organization known as the Death Eaters, all Hogsmeade visits will be cancelled until further notice." A few older students let out cries of alarm and distress, but Dumbledore raised a hand to silence them. "In their stead, professor Vance has agreed to host an official Hogwarts Chess tournament, while Madame Hooch has agreed to host open Quidditch matches, for any and all who wish to play, regardless of team status, age-restricted of course. Aside from that, I'm sure there is plenty else that you can do to occupy your time within the grounds." Dumbledore insisted with a reassuring smile to a few lingering pouting faces. Then his eyes flicked over to Gryffindor table, "and I'm sure your fellow classmates would be more than willing to provide any necessary… additional entertainment." Harry could practically hear the Weasley twins grinning ear to ear. He was more than certain now that Dumbledore was absolutely barmy! Giving Fred and George practical permission to cause mischief?! Filch looked seconds from having a stroke! "One last item of note." Dumbledore said grimly, "as many of you discovered on the train, the search for Sirius Black continues. Until such time that he is caught, the Ministry has sent the dementors of Azkaban to safeguard our school. I must warn each and every one of you to maintain a safe distance. Dementors are vicious creatures, and they make no distinction between their prey and those who stray too close. Give them absolutely no reason to harm you." Dumbledore finished before he stepped back. "And now, professor Snape would like to say a few words." Harry blinked. Severus? What did he have to say? Was he going to reassure everyone that he was alright? Maybe tell them what happened to Flint? The hall’s silence was deafening as everyone else seemed poised on the edge of their seats, waiting for the news. All that could be heard was the ominous clack of Snape's boots, which any who wandered the halls at night was hyper-aware of, after years of desperately listening for them, lest Snape descend on them unsuspectingly. Snape stepped up to the podium and stared at them with a stern glare, perfected from years of practice.

"Earlier today," Snape began as if he were starting a lecture. "One of your fellow classmates made an attempt on my life." Everyone held their breath. "He was promptly arrested and carted away to the Ministry, where he is currently awaiting trial." The professor flicked his eyes over to Slytherin. "The reason this classmate foolishly decided to attack me, is because of my political views. Which, I feel a must now declare openly." The man cleared his throat. "I am and have always been loyal to Dumbledore. In my service to him, I have presented myself as a loyal follower of the Dark Lord. But this is not the case. As such, there are many of you within the crowd who see me as a traitor, and would no doubt like to follow Mr. Flint’s example, and to that I say:'' the man paused, giving the entire room a cold sneer " By all means. Go ahead. If you think you can do better, you are more welcome to make the attempt. Just know that you, like Marcus Flint, will fail. But be my guest." Snape finished with a raised eyebrow and a flippant hand. The entire hall was practically gobsmacked in shock as Snape whirled around and went back to his seat, cloak billowing dramatically behind him. Dumbledore said something in effect to start the meal, but everyone was still reeling from Snape's speech.

"Bloody hell," Ron said in awe. "I might not like him, but that man has some serious bullocks!"

"Ronald!" Hermione shrieked. Harry pulled a face.

"Well, I'm just saying! He was practically egging them on! That takes guts!"

"Don't you mean courage?" Harry argued. Ron scowled.

"No way Snape did something like a Gryffindor! There has to be a reason."

"There is." Hermione insisted. Both Harry and Ron looked at her. "By painting a target on himself, he's drawn the attention away from other targets of the dark. Like for instance Harry, or professor Dumbledore."

"Ha! As if one of them could kill Dumbledore!" Ron barked out with a laugh. Hermione huffed. 

"I'm not saying it's probable, but he is definitely a target, and Harry most certainly is. Or was. But now, every student who's even thinking of joining You-Know-Who will be gunning for professor Snape." She paused and glanced up to the staff table, "it's quite clever really. Very impressive."

"Shame about Hogsmeade, Fred and George have been talking up Zonko's all summer. Though that chess tournament sounds cool."

"I'm sure you'll win it, no questions asked," Harry argued. Run rubbed his chin.

"I dunno. Some of the Ravenclaws are really good." Harry smiled as he tucked into his meal and listened to Ron describe a match he saw two Ravenclaws playing the year before. He smiled around his bite. There really was nothing quite like being back at Hogwarts.