Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry's first Potions class sure has some pretty(maybe not pretty) shocks for Severus in store.
First Class and First Detain
Life has given few joys to a certain potions master. It was this notion that compelled his mind to take at most joy and pleasure in the different methods that he could torment the Potter boy on his first day in the mercy of Severus’ class. Each idea was better than the previous and with each passing thought, his smirk seemed to only seemed to widen a bit more.

It is with those thoughts in mind that Severus strides into the year’s first Gryffindor-Slytherin potions class. Curious and scared first years look up at him in wonder. The dimly lit dungeon classroom only enhances his complex and frightening aura, something which quite commonly is known to be the “dungeon bat aura” – a term which Severus finds highly amusing and irritating at the same time.

“There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those selected few who possess, the predisposition... I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death.”

As he looks around, Severus notices the Potter brat scribbling on a piece of parchment – a work which irritates him and yet gives him joy. Now I have just the perfect opportunity to make sure the brat knows his place. As he speaks the next part, Severus looks directly at Harry.

“Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not pay attention! Mister Potter. Our new celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?”

Severus is so certain that Potter will not be able answer the question, especially considering the fact that the said question is from year three. As he thinks of the answer, a small smirk slowly forms on the brat’s face. This is something which confuses Severus. What in Merlin’s name is funny about the question?

“Asphodel and Wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of the Living Death, Professor.”

The answer earns quite a lot of awe-inspired stares. If it goes by anything, although it’ll vehemently be denied later on, Severus barely is able to restrain his own mouth from dropping open in shock. That is a lot to say, considering the fact that he is a master of his emotions. How does he know the answer?

“Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?”

The smirk only grows wider before Harry answers, “A Bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons.”

”And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?”

“Monkshood and Wolfbane are the same plant which also goes by the name of Aconite.”

A shocked silence is all Severus finds in his class and for the first time in long, he is rendered speechless. The Potter brat is not dumb or incompetent, that much credit can be given to him. As he looks at the boy, he can sense a smugness in the smirk being thrown in his direction, as though saying Didn’t expect me to be this way, eh? Truth be told, Severus truly did not.

“Very well. 15 points to Slytherin.” After all, appearances have to be kept up. “Today, we shall be brewing a simple Boil Cure Potion. The instructions are on the board and the brewing method is also given, quite in detail, in your books as well. The ingredients will be in the store which you can see to your left. You have 2 hours. You may begin.”

As he observes his students, Severus notices something which truly shocks him. The Potter brat is doing a phenomenal job of his potion by following all the said and given instructions quite clearly and with accurate precision. This makes Severus very confused and in turn frustrated, for this shatters all his illusions of who indeed the boy is.

As he ponders upon this, a loud hissing sound is heard from the other end of the room. Longbottom. Why am I not surprised? As he strides over to the stuttering boy, he notices from the corner of his eye that the Potter brat is quicker. He looks on with wonder as the brat manages to save the potion and prevents a disaster.

“Mr.Longbottom, are you really that incompetent to follow even the simplest of instructions? Ten points from Gryffindor! The rest of you, clear up your workstations and hand me over a vial of your potion.”

As he looks at all the potion vials, Severus notices that only Granger, Potter and Draco have finished the potion perfectly. Never to admit it, but somewhere, deep in his heart, he sure is impressed by the potions skills of the Potter brat – not just for the perfectly brewed potion but also for saving a completely useless case of Longbottom’s potion from exploding.

As he looks at the Potter brat and the efficiency of his work, Severus cannot help but wonder about the boy. There’s something about the brat that both bothers and intrigues him to no end. He seems to be a complete blank slate – nothing like assumed and Severus does not intend to keep it that way. With that in mind, the potions master calls out to the brat.

“Mr.Potter, do stay behind.”

~~~~

Annoyance darts across Harry’s mood, but he quickly schools it into a mask of indifference as he looks at his Head of House. A passive face is all will be seen by the man, but only Harry knows what is lurking behind and beneath it. That is the way it is and that is the way it shall always remain.

“Mr.Potter, care to explain it to me as to how you managed to perfection the potion?”

Having caught on the train of thoughts of his beloved Potions Master, Harry replies in a feigned innocent voice, “I followed the instructions carefully sir and that resulted in the potion being a success.”

“Somehow I find that very hard to believe, especially considering the fact that you answered all the answers I previously asked questions.”

Now we’re going somewhere. Very well Snape, taste a bit of your own medicine. “I studied the material professor, and hence I know the answers.”

Impossible Potter! Those questions were from third year books and there is no way you should have known the answers.”

As soon as the words leave the mouth of Severus, he curses himself inwardly at being stupid enough to let this slip. He never meant for the brat to know this. However, as he watches a small and sly smirk form on his face, Severus does wonder whether the boy knew and was deliberately trying to rile him in order to get answers.

“Well then professor. There’s the truth and the crux of the matter. Why is it that I was asked third year questions when I am a first year?”

When Severus is not able to gather an answer satisfying enough to evade the question, the brat continues in a slightly venomous and yet, a smooth and even voice. One which not only confuses Severus(First years have quivering, scared voices in front of him, not such tones for Merlin’s sake!), but also slightly unnerves him. The brat is honestly being downright terrifying by such a demeanour.

“You find pleasure in finding my flaws and my imperfections. But when I give you none, you find ways and mysteries impossible for me to solve and throw them at me, even if it’s at the cost of unfair authority. But remember this professor, your hate is misplaced, your prejudice will do nothing but serve you fruitlessness. Beware the road ahead professor, for if you continue, the future is precarious for you.”

Now, a shiver truly does run down Severus’ spine, for the way the boy spoke was indeed very frightening. The eery sense of foreboding which laced in the brat’s voice mixed with the accuracy in his accusations truly scared Severus. How in Merlin’s name does the boy know all that he accused me of?

However, all the words spoken before pale in comparison and are long forgotten when Harry opens his mouth once again to speak,

”I am not my father, Professor Snape.”
Chapter End Notes:
I am so sorry for the late update. I was a bit busy with life and such. By the way, do you guys want guardian Snape or Biological Father Snape?

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!💖