Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Saddness and Surprises

As Harry and Bria entered the Great Hall they were practically knocked down by a tearful Ann Marie who was running out of the room as fast as she could. Harry looked up at the head table and noticed Dumbledore sending McGonagall after her and Hagrid was leaving out the side doors. He then looked towards the Slytherin table and there was Jamie just sitting there with his head in his hands reading something. "Something is wrong." He said as they continued onto the Gryffindor table. When they approached their friends Hermione dropped a letter and ran after her roommate.

"What's going on?" Harry asked.

"She got a letter from the Ministry today. There was an attack in Sleepy Hallow where her mum lives." Ron replied.

"Oh shit. Come on, we have to go find her and make sure she's okay."

"No, I'm sure she's going to want some time alone right now. Besides Mione went after her." Ron replied.

"What about her brother?" Bria asked.

"It looks like Snape is taking him back to the dungeons" Ginny said as she pointed across the room.

*******************

Ann Marie was running through the corridors blinded by her tears when she tripped over her own feet. As she sat up on the floor she looked around and noticed she had made a wrong turn somewhere. She didn't feel like moving so she just sat there and cried.

Sirius met up with Minerva outside the Great Hall. "Where is she?" he asked.

"I'm not sure. The fat lady said she hadn't been back to the dorms at all."

"Excuse me professors. Have you seen Ann Marie? Is she going to be alright?" Hermione asked as she came running up.

"It will take her some time" Minerva replied "But no we haven't seen her at all, we do need to find her though."

"I'll go get everyone" she said as she ran back into the dinning area.

"Have you at least seen Jamie?" Sirius asked

"Yes, Severus is with him right now." Dumbledore said as he walked up. "Minerva I need you to go help with some of the other students that transferred here too. Turns out there weren't any survivors left in this attack."

"Albus, does that mean..."

"I'm afraid so. I am going to go and cancel these afternoons' classes. There are too many affected by this attack."

"Do you think she knew?"

"That too I am afraid is true. She knew months ago that something would happen I believe that is why she wrote to me asking me to allow all the children to transfer here. This was the safest place she could think of for them. Sirius, you go and find her." Albus said and he re-entered the Great Hall.

The five friends came running out into the corridor. "Professor Black, any sign of her yet?" Ginny asked.

"No, not yet. Harry do you still have the map?" Sirius asked and the boy nodded. "Good, Ginny I need you to run up to Harry's dorm and inside his trunk should be Harry's map. Bring it back to me right here as quickly as possible. Harry and Bria, I need you to go check the areas to the right of us, Ron and Hermione you take the opposite end."

"Yes sir." They all said in unison.

About fifteen minutes later Ginny returned with the Marauders Map. "Professor Black, I found it but I don't know how to make it work."

"Let me see it." Sirius said as Ginny handed it over to him. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." With that the map gradually changed showing all the different names of every student in the halls.. "Blast. The prefects don't have everyone in the common rooms yet." After looking it over closely he finally noticed an empty corridor with only 3 names in it; Hermione, Ron, and Ann Marie. "Your brother has found her, let's go."

"Ann Marie, are you alright? Ron I'll stay here with her. Go head back and get Professor Black. HURRY!" Hermione said.

Ron took off as fast as he could, as soon as he went around the second corner he ran right into Sirius. "Prof...We...this way!" Ron panted.

The three of them reached the girls. "Ann Marie honey? Baby, you ok?" Sirius asked but didn't get a reply. He then picked her up and carried her back to the Gryffindor tower.

When they reached the portrait the fat lady was shocked. "Oh my, the poor dear. What has happened to her?"

"She lost her mum today, now open up."

"Password?"

"Damn it! Ron what's the password?" Sirius asked

"Oogie-woogie" Hermione said and the portrait moved to the side.

"Oogie what? Where did that come from?" Sirius asked.

"I was too afraid to ask" Ginny replied.

They all entered through the portal and then as Sirius told everyone to wait in the common room he took the girl upstairs to her dorm.. He then placed Ann Marie onto her bed and brushed her wavy hair from her face. "Baby, your going to be alright. I'm here." Sirius looked over at the dresser next to her bed and noticed a photo album, he picked it up and started looking through it and said. "You know you remind me so much of your mum when she was your age."

"How?" she asked beneath her tears.

Sirius looked at her and replied, "Mainly the way you are so good at tormenting your brother, but you also look just the way she did at your age." Sirius then sat on the edge of her bed and she shifted to lean against him. At first this startled Sirius but then he put his arm around her and together they looked through the pages. "You know one of the happiest times I can remember was the night you and your brother were born. The two of you were fighting from the very beginning with flinging your food at each other."

"I guess we were a handful for mom" Ann Marie said smiling.

"And from the letters that she sent to Remus to hold onto for me along with your school records I see you two haven't changed."

"Oh, um...She told you everything huh?"

"Of coarse she did, did you expect any less?"

"Well I was hoping that he would lose them. I promise I'll try not to act up anymore."

"Don't you dare change, you wouldn't be a Black if you did. Besides I know your mum taught you her tricks. I just need to help Jamie with his pranks so that it will be a fair fight." Sirius continued "Speaking of your brother, I need to go check on him for a while would you like to come with?"

"No, I'm just gonna stay here."

"Don't forget, family dinner tomorrow night over in Remus' quarters. Why don't you bring Hermione and Ginny along with." Sirius continued, "Oh and would you bring your album with?"

"Ok dad, I'll see you later."

On his way out of the tower Sirius was bombarded by three very impatient teens. "Girls, you can go on up if you wish. Ron would you go find Harry and Bria and let them know that Ann Marie is back here."

"Professor Black, will she be ok?" Ron asked.

"It will take some time but she'll be just fine."

*******************

Ann Marie was still sitting on her bed with teary eyes while looking at her album when Hermione stood in the doorway "Are you up for some company?"

"Sure, come on in."

The girls entered the dorm room when Hermione glanced at the page that the photo album was turned to. "Which one is your mum?"

"That was mom. Dad took the photo just after they graduated. That's Aunt Lily and Uncle Sev. I believe mom was either 2 or 3 months pregnant with Jamie and I at this time."

Hermione and Ginny looked at each other then they looked closer at the photo. "Do you mean Lily Potter and Severus as in Professor Snape? I didn't know you were related to them." Hermione said.

"Harry didn't tell you? My mom's maiden name is Snape; he was her twin brother. As for Lily, she was considered an aunt because she was mom's best friend here and also Harry's Grandma P was my grandfather's sister. Does it make sense?"

"Yes it makes sense but I don't even think Harry even knows all this. He has been reading his mum's diary trying to get to know her but he hasn't talked to us about it." Hermione said. She then nudged Ginny and pointed to the photo as a young Severus placed his arms around Lily's waist and resting his chin on her shoulder.

"I don't believe his fat..." Ann Marie stopped and closed the book when she noticed the shocked look her friends were showing. "Maybe Harry should be the one to tell you about his parents when he is ready to."

"If you know anything about Harry's parents before they died he would probably like to talk to you." Ginny said.

Ann Marie thought Before his parents died? He must think James was his dad then said. "You guys have to swear you won't say anything about what I know and what you saw in the photo."

"I swear" Ginny said

"But Ann, he needs to know. He thinks the Dursley's are his only family and they hate him."

"Mione Please Swear!"

"He has a right to know he has more family."

"He will very soon but Swear to me you will not be the ones to tell anybody!"

"Fine! I Swear! But I am not happy with hiding this."

"Thank you. Um, there will be a family dinner at Remus' tomorrow night and I was told that I could invite you two."

"Sure count me in," Hermione said while still pouting

"I'll be there too. Can I bring my brother?"

"Which one?"

"Ron of coarse, silly."

"I don't see why not, that is if he wants to go he's welcome."

"Oh I have a feeling he will." Ginny smirked.

*******************

~Slytherin House~

"Jamie can I come in?" Sirius asked.

"Severus looked at the boy and walked over to his friend. "He's taking this quite hard. He hasn't said a single word since he found out. How is Ann Marie taking it?"

"Thank you Sev. She is doing better now, the girls are with her." Sirius walked into the room and continued. "Jamie, we found your sister."

* Silence *

"Hey buddy, are you feeling any better?"

* Silence *

"Listen I know exactly what you are going through. I lost my dad when I was younger that you. If I'm not mistaken then I know you are quite angry right now and all you want to do is hit something. Am I right?"

"Yeah"

"Come with me, I have something to show you." Sirius said as the two of them left the dungeons and went in and out of the different corridors. Finally they stopped and Sirius looked around before he whispered something at a suit of armor in which then moved out of the way revealing a portal. "Come on." The two of them continued through the portal and Jamie was surprised at the other end when he saw a Muggle style weight room.

"It looks like it hasn't been used in years."

"About 16 years in fact. Hardly anybody knows it exists."

"Did mom ever come in here?

"Yes, sometimes her and Lily would do aerobics over on those mats. So what do you think? Would you like to use it?"

"Can I bring my friends in here?"

"As long as you let your sister and her friends in here as well. But they must be with you and you cannot give out the password."

"That's cool."

"We've got to get going onto dinner. Oh don't forget about dinner tomorrow night."

"Is Uncle Sev gonna be there?"

"Yes, why?"

"Cause I really don't know the others. I may want someone to talk to."

"No problem. You do know you can talk to me if you want."

"I know"

"How about this weekend I help you with some pranks so that you can get even with Ann Marie?"

"But Uncle Sev has been working with me."

"I could tell and they haven't changed since he used the same terrible ones on your mum when we were in school. Besides, what would people think if the King of Pranks if the Prince didn't follow in his footsteps?"

"And what about the Princess?"

"She has already proved herself, you need to outdo her" Sirius smirked.

"This could be fun. Think I'll take you up on the offer."

*******************

Later that evening during a very calm and unusually quiet dinner Dumbledore stood before the school and stated "As you all know there was a tremendous tragedy this morning that although it took place over seas, it has affected many of our students and faculty. This evening after dinner we will be holding a remberance service for their family members. Also in respect for those who lost loved ones, classes will not resume until tomorrow after lunch. Thank you"

Ron looked at the head table, "Harry, have you noticed some of the professors acting funny?"

"Yes. From what I understand a lot of the people murdered attended school here. They were most likely old classmates of some of them."

"I didn't think of that."

"That's just too easy so I'm not saying anything." Hermione said.

After dinner the majority of the students went back to their houses leaving about 30 students and teachers behind who then proceeded onto the auditorium. Jamie sat down next to his sister leaving empty seats on either side of them and their friends sat right behind the duo. Ann Marie turned around and said "Thank you guys for staying with us for this."

"No problem at all. Jamie, how are you doing?" Hermione asked.

"How the hell do you think I'm doing?"

Ann Marie looked at her brother, "You know you really don't need to act like a total ass. Keep it up and you will look like one as well and I really don't give a shit where we are."

"Listen bitch, I will act any way I want as long as I am asked stupid questions."

"Ok you two. I have had it. Out of respect for your mum I am calling a cease-fire for the next 48 hours. That means no pranks, no name calling, and no fighting. Do you hear me?" Sirius stated.

"Yes sir" the twins replied. Sirius had Ann Marie move to the empty seat next to her and he sat in-between the two. Just before the ceremony started Severus walked in and took the empty seat next to Jamie.

After a few minutes Albus approached the podium and the room fell silent. "Thank you all for coming tonight. I am very sorry that all of you had to start your new school year on such a sad note. I must say that I was very pleased when your parents wrote requesting that all of you be transferred here. I remember each one of your parents when they too were students here and how they ran around the corridors between classes. When we welcome our first year students they are informed that the houses they are sorted into become their family, I would like you all to consider the whole school as your family. I hope that each of you will feel comfortable turning to each other as well as your professors during this time. As I mention your parent's names along with yours I would like you each to come up and light a Candle of Remembrance to aid in guiding your parent's spirits.

Mr. Duane Anderson and Cathy Waters survived by their daughter Taylor Anderson.

Mr. Matthew Cutler and Chris Warding survived by their son Ninos Cutler and daughters Jessica and Amber Cutler.

Mr. Darren Cursey and Allison Woodsman survived by their son Mike Cursey.

Mr. Gary Dasson and Nancy McGonagall survived by their son William Dasson and Nancy's mother Minerva McGonagall.

Mr. Kyle Johnson and Kelly Peters survived by their daughter Lita Johnson.

Mr. Greg Mirasl and Christina Famp survived by their son Corey Mirasl and daughters Catie and Colleen Mirasl.

Mr. Albert Mueller and Amanda Summit survived by their son Kevin Mueller and daughter Kimberly Mueller. Mr. Michael Head and Judy Browder survived by their sons Benjamin, and Richard Head.

Mr. Martin Peters and Victoria Brown survived by their son Chad Peters.

Ms. Patricia Marie Snape survived by her brother Severus Snape, husband Sirius Black, son Jamie Black, and daughter Ann Marie Black.

Mr. Michael Waters and Jennifer Coldwell survived by their son Stanley Waters and daughter Chantel Waters.

After all the names were called there was a few minutes of silence while everyone finished lighting the candles. While the adults stood around and talked the children all sauntered back to their different houses. Harry, Hermione, Jamie, and Ginny walked on ahead of the other two.

"Um, Hermione?"

"Yes?"

"I.I'm sorry for acting like I did earlier. I was...I was just getting a little tired of everyone asking me if I'm alright." Jamie stammered.

"That's alright. I should have realized that you would have been hearing that all day. I just didn't know what else to say at the time. I am sorry about your mum."

"Thanks." Jamie replied with a half smile. "I...I guess I had better get back to the dungeons now. I'll see you in class tomorrow."

"Sure thing."

Just then Ron and Ann Marie finally caught up with their friends. "He wasn't being an ass again was he?"

"No, he was apologizing for snapping at me in there."

"Looks like baby bro really does have it bad for you. I've never known him to apologize to anyone."

"Why didn't you tell us you were Sirius' daughter?" Harry asked.

"Well since nobody ever asked what my last name was I guess I assumed maybe you knew already."

"So you already knew who I was?" Harry asked.

"Of coarse silly. Mom had all sorts of family photos all over the house. Especially from back when we were little kids back before you were taken away."

"You don't happen to have any of the photos here with you? Could I see them sometime?"

"Sure you can but, warning we were all quite little."

"Oh, baby photos? There aren't any of those nudie photos in there of you are there?" Ron smirked

"Well I will defiantly not show you the ones of me but, if you wish I am sure to have some of Jamie and even Harry." Ann Marie said while winking at Hermione.

"I don't think I want to see those, thank you." Hermione stated.

"And you won't if I find them first." Harry said as he ran towards the Gryffindor tower.

"Harry if you dare touch my things I will cover your hands with so many puss filled warts Bria wont ever let you touch her again." Ann Marie shouted as she chased after him. The rest of the group shrugged and ran after the two of them.

*******************

Later that night a group of Death Eaters gathered in a small clearing. "Come forward" Voldemort hissed.

"Yes my lord" Severus replied

"Isss it true of the prophecy sstarting?"

"Prophecy? I am unaware of any prophecy taking place my lord."

"Did you ssister not ssend her offspring here?"

"That she did"

"And what of the resst of them?"

"I am unsure of what you are referring to my lord."

"Liar! Crucio!"

* Back at Hogwarts, Harry was startled awake *

"I have received word that they have all arrived to fulfill the prophecy, including the young beast."

"I do not recall a beast in any prophecy, my lord."

"It does not mention that there is a beast but did she not just learn that she is a child of the remaining few?"

"That is correct my lord."

"CRUCIO!"

Harry ran down to the common room when he just about collided into Ann Marie. "He has unc..."

"I know. Let's go see Dumbledore" and the two of them ran out of their house into the corridors.

"Severus, you will inform me when you have found the others."

"As you wish my lord"

"CRUCIO! Now be gone and remember I must know immediately."

*******************

"Ann Marie, stop. Filch is coming."

The two slipped into a doorway when they heard a commotion. "I knew sooner or later I would find you sneaking out."

"I wasn't sneaking out! I need to see my sister."

"That's Jamie!" Ann Marie loudly whispered

"Hush, Filch is going to take him to see Dumbledore, we'll follow but can't get caught. Here put this over you." Harry handed her part of his invisibility cloak and they draped it over themselves.

"Damn it! Get your hand off my neck, that hurts!"

"Then stop pulling away. You're going to see the headmaster."

"Fine just don't hold my neck so tight."

Filch loosened his grip of the back of the boy's neck slightly when Jamie broke free and started to run towards Harry and Ann Marie. Unfortunately Filch caught a hold of the boy's arm and held on tight.

"I'm going to curse that SOB so badly."Ann whispered

"Ann Marie will you hush? Do you want to get caught too?" The kids followed quietly while they watched Jamie struggle all the way to Dumbledore's office.

"Melted Gummy Worms" Filch said and the gargoyle moved to the side. The four of them headed up the stairs when the door opened and Dumbledore said "Good evening Mr. Filch and Mr. Black."

"He was out running the corridors. Put up quite a fight, just like his father."

"Thank you Filch, I will take it from here."

Filch turned around and left in a huff, he so wanted to see someone get tortured. Dumbledore then looked next to Jamie and said "Good evening Mr. Potter and Ms. Black. Are you going to remove that cloak?"

"Professor, Uncle Sev is with the.."

"I know. Harry how much of the meeting did you see and hear?"

"Voldemort was talking about some prophecy that I think involves Bria, Ann Marie, Jamie and some other kids. Sir what is this prophecy he's talking about?"

"I'm not quite sure but I do believe that it has something that your uncles what to talk to you about tomorrow night." Dumbledore turned towards the twins and continued, "I do believe your uncle should be returning soon. He will need some help. Why don't you go get your father so he can assist him."

"What about Filch?" Jamie asked as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Don't you worry. I will talk to him." Dumbledore replied.

The twins turned and left the office. "Professor, can you tell me how they knew he was in trouble? Are they somehow linked with Voldemort too?"

"No, you are the only one connected to Voldemort. As you know, the curse he placed on you allows you to see what happens at the meetings but although they can only feel the curse placed on Professor Snape you can see as well as feel it because you are also related to him."

"But if they are his niece and nephew shouldn't their link be stronger than someone who is a child of a cousin?"

"You bring up a good point but alas I am not quite sure I should be the one to answer that. Why don't you go assist your cousins."

"Yes sir, thank you."

"Your welcome Harry, good night."

Harry went down towards the Gryffindor tower when he saw four figures outside. Snape turned and started yelling at the twins and started fighting with Sirius when he tried to help. Harry didn't see what happened after that because he noticed Ann Marie running by heading towards their house. Harry chased after her and finally caught up to her in the common room. "Ann, what's wrong?"

"Everything! Him! He is such an asshole."

"Looks like you finally met the slimy git that the rest of us all know and hate so much."

"You mean he's always like that?"

"As long as I have known him he has been but, then when reading mum's diary and how she described him he must have been a normal person at one time."

"Wait here for a bit will you? I have to go get something."

Harry nodded and waited on the couch for his cousin to return. "What's that?" he asked.

"It's some photos of our parents when they went to school here. You said you read your mom's words on how different Uncle Sev was and I thought you might like to actually see what your mom saw." Ann Marie said as she thought At least I took out the ones that were after school ended.

Harry sat there for quite a while and looked through the photos of six good friends that seemed to always have fun together. There were photos of the dance where Peter lay on the floor after diving from the speaker, James and some girl half dressed being escorted by Filch, Sirius and James pulling some sort of prank on Lily and another girl, and various photos of all of them at his grandparents (the Potter's) house during the holidays. Finally Harry came upon the same graduation photo that Hermione and Ginny had briefly seen earlier. Harry just sat and stared at it for a long time. In the photo Patty was pointing to and rubbing her stomach but, Harry was busy watching Snape standing behind his mom as he wrapped his arms around her waist and rest his chin on her shoulder. Harry then looked a little closer noticing Snape slipping something onto his mother's hand; she then looked at it smiling and finally kissed him. Harry then felt all the blood drain from his face as he continued to stare at the photo. As soon as Ann Marie turned her back he quickly removed it from the album, placed it into the pocket in his robes, then placing the book onto the table he headed for the stairs up to the boy's dorms.

"Harry? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just need to check on something"

Ann Marie shrugged it off at first when she noticed that he had left his cloak behind. She quickly glanced through the album when she noticed that the graduation photo was missing. Hoping she had left it in her room she quickly ran up to double check which photos she pulled out. She searched all over but couldn't find it. I've got to tell dad. They're going to kill me She then slipped on the invisibility cloak and ran to explain it to her father.

*******************

Harry ran into his room, jumped onto his bed, and drew the curtains around to keep from being disturbed. He just sat there staring at the photo again as the scene he saw before replayed itself over and over. Finally he put it down and once again picked up his mother's diary.

15 June 1984

Dear Diary,

I know I haven't written in quite awhile. Things have been going so good lately. I can't believe it; we are finally out of school. In a way I am thrilled to start our new life but I will miss all the fun we had causing trouble.

Right after graduation the other day, guess what happened. Sev proposed! I couldn't believe it, I was so surprised. Of coarse I accepted how could I not. He's been my best friend for so long and I just can't see not having him around. We've already chosen the location, the robes, date, just about everything. When and where else would you expect us to be married but the Astronomy Tower on the Night of Beltaine. I know it's quite soon to make all the plans but we want everything to be perfect.

Yesterday was Patty and Siri's wedding which was beautiful. I still say they should have held it in the Potions lab back at school since they both spent so much time in detention there but instead they had it right along the seaside. What shocked everyone was that it was completely prank free although she did stump him. Well kind of. Everyone already knows that she's a few months pregnant but poor Siri didn't expect for her to announce last night infront of everybody that they would be having twins. It was soon great to see the almighty Sirius Black who has an answer to everything just sit there at a loss for words. As soon as they get back from their honeymoon they will be staying with James at his parent's old home while theirs is being built right next door to it. I really feel sorry for everyone in their neighborhood.

Well I had better go get breakfast started looks like Sev is finally waking up.

Until later, Lily

*******************

Harry then closed the book and looked around his room. Once he made sure everyone was asleep, took the book and photo in hand and left without making a sound.

Chapter End Notes:
Please Review