Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Superstitions

~ October 31st ~

"Merry Samhain students! This evening after dinner we will be holding festivities for the 1st - 3rd year students in here if you would like to participate. As for the older students, we will be having a bon fire down by the lake." Dumbledore announced during lunch. "For those who do not wish to partake in this evenings festivities please make sure you notify your head of house. That is all."

"So are you guys going out there tonight?" Ann asked.

"Defiantly. I wouldn't miss it." Bria said

Harry looked at her "Looks like I am, but don't expect me to dance."

"That's fine. What about you guys?" Bria asked as Hermione and Ginny looked at the boys. "I guess we had better." Jamie stated.

"Like we had any choice to begin with." Draco said.

"Oh you had a choice." Ginny smiled, "Either you go with me or you stay here and I go with Neville again."

"You wouldn't dare."

Ginny just smiled and Harry said "I wouldn't push it if I were you. She's gone with him before."

"Fine then, I'm going."

"Well don't do it just for my sake."

"I'm not, I'm doing it for mine. Besides it's got to be better than being stuck in the common room all night."

Bria glanced at her watch. "Ginny, we'd better run or we're going to be late."

"You don't want to be late for class today. There is no doubt that Uncle Sev is in a bad mood." Ann said.

"No kidding, here it is a holiday and he's giving us an exam." Ginny complained.

"Could be worse, he could decide to be the only one to hold classes tomorrow and still give you the exam." Jamie stated.

"Don't say that too loud, he just may hear you and think it's a good idea." Harry commented.

"He wouldn't dare, especially with the match tomorrow." Draco said

"You never know. He has been known to do stranger things." Hermione replied. "By the way, how are you holding up today Harry?"

"It started out bad but it's getting better"

Bria pulled Hermione aside, "What is wrong that everyone is so gloomy today? Especially with the celebration tonight."

"Nobody told you what today is?"

Bria was puzzled "No, what is it?"

"Today is the anniversary of his mum's death. I can't believe your dad didn't say anything."

"Well he was sort of out of it when I saw him this morning, he didn't even say hello."

"Well I suppose they are all out of it today. Just don't get on anyone's bad side."

"Bria, come on we have to run now." Ginny said and the two girls ran off to class."

 

*****************************Later that night after dinner the kids stopped by the Great Hall on their way outside. They younger students had tables filled with all sorts of candy, a huge punch bowl and a variety of different pastries. There were apple bobbing contests, relay races, pumpkin carving and tons of other activities. When they arrived outside they noticed the huge fire circle. They had a table packed with the similar treats but only difference was that they had Butterbeer to drink.

 

After Jamie, Hermione, Draco, Ginny, and Ann had their share of dancing they joined Harry and Bria at the table. Finally as the night went on they were getting a little bored so they decided to leave the celebration and took a walk around the grounds. Before they knew it they were on the edge of the forest between Hagrid's hut and the castle. Bria looked at the two buildings then said "Hang on. There is something I need to do tonight." And she ran to the backside of the small hut.

"Where is she going?" Ginny asked.

"I have no idea but we had better go find out." Harry said.

When they caught up to Bria they found her sitting on the ground taking off one of her shoes. "What are you doing?" Draco asked.

"It's a for good luck. You throw your shoe over a house in the evening of Samhain and if you make it over without hitting the roof then you will have good luck all year."

"And if you don't make it?" Jamie asked.

"You try again as long as you don't loose them on the roof. Hagrid's hut is the smallest building here so it shouldn't be too hard." She replied.

"He'll kill us if he finds out." Harry said.

"No he won't. I saw him heading to the fire with your dad. Come on give it a try."

"Too easy" stated Draco as he pulled out his wand.

"No magic allowed. You have to throw it." Bria warned him.

"Well I guess we could use all the luck we can get, especially for tomorrows match." Ginny stated

"Nervous Gins?" asked Ann.

"Just a little I guess."

"You'll be fine, I watched you play your brothers and you held up quite well against them." Hermione said.

"Yeah I know but we didn't have the whole school watching."

"Give it a shot, what have you got to lose?" Ann asked. Ginny threw her shoe at the hut but instead of it going over it, it hit the center point and bounced back down. Pretty soon as the kids started throwing their shoes but nobody completely cleared it. As the group was behind the building trying to accomplish this task; Hagrid, Remus, and Sirius arrived for a quick visit. As they sat and reminisced, Remus kept hearing a thumping sound but ignored it figuring that it was probably one of the many creatures that Hagrid kept as a pet.

At one point during this, one of Jamie's shoes got stuck on the roof so before they continued to try to get them over, they started trying to knock it back down.. It didn't take long before it came tumbling down back to him. Not too much longer the group was starting to grow tired of the and accept their destined constant bad luck when all of a sudden Hermione tossed her shoe one last time and she actually cleared it. Unknown to any of the kids, Severus was at the front door to the hut looking for the group when he was hit in the head. The girls started cheering that someone finally made it and the boys were then more determined that they weren't going to be outdone, so they continued.

Hagrid heard Severus at the door and invited him in. Sirius looked at the man carrying the girl's shoe and said with a smirk "Sev, is there something you wanted to tell us?"

"The kids weren't at the fire so I came by here looking for them when I was attacked by this shoe."

"Did you see anyone?" Remus asked.

"No but I thought I heard voices, that's when Hagrid opened the door."

"Let's go have a look around." Sirius said. As the guys left the hut, six more shoes came flying at them, some were bouncing off the roof. The guys then looked at each other and picked up the shoes off the ground. Hagrid, you mind if we stay a little while longer?"

"Of coarse not, come on in."

"Would you do us a favor and turn out the lantern though?" Remus asked.

"What are you up to?"

"We need to find out who these belong to. I'm sure they'll be back looking for them." Severus said.

Hagrid nodded and did what was asked. The guys sat in the hut and listened for the culprits.

outside

"I know we did it that time. We had to have. I don't see them on the roof" Said Bria.

"But if we made it then were are they?" asked Ginny

"I don't know."

"Um, you guys. The fire is out, we're going to miss bed checks." Said Hermione."Come on we have to go." Stated Jamie

"But our shoes!" cried Ginny.

inside

"Hold up Remie, make them worry. We'll see in the morning who's missing shoes." Sirius stated.

outside

"We will have to come back at daybreak to search. Don't worry everyone will still be sleeping." Bria said.

"Alright, but these are the only ones that I have"

"Don't worry Gins, we will find it."

"We had better or I won't be able to play tomorrow." The kids then ran back to the castle and up to their dorms trying to avoid as many questioning eyes as possible.

Severus looked at the others with a wicked smirk. "Ok Sev, what are you thinking?" asked Remus.

"Just how Gryffindor is going to be out a couple of teammates tomorrow."

Sirius looked at the expensive shoe in his hand. "Looks like Slytherin just maybe out their seeker as well."

"This is going to be one interesting match." Remus said.

"Don't worry we will give them back." Severus said.

"Before the game I hope."

"That we will have to wait and see."

 

*****************************First thing in the morning the kids all met outside Hagrid's hut again and started looking frantically. "You guys, we cannot spend all day running around like this. They have to be here somewhere." Ann stated.

 

Just then Hagrid stepped outside to start his ground-keeping duties. "Morning 'Arry. The lot of you is up awfully early."

"Morning Hagrid. You didn't happen to find anything out here did you?"

"Sorry no, what are you looking for?" Then he looked at their feet. "Blimey, you do know that you're all missing your shoes don't you?"

"Um yea. That's what we were hoping to find this morning." Jamie said

"What would they be doing out here?"

"Someone had the bright idea of tossing them over your roof for luck." Draco stated as he glared at Bria.

"Hey I'm not the one who threw your shoe. That was your own doing."

"It was still your idea."

"You didn't have to do it too."

"Now now. Arguing isn't going to help you find them is it?"

"No" the two said in unison.

"Ok then. Maybe someone else found them and took them inside. They'll turn up. Besides you need to get to breakfast, some of you have a big game today."

"Hagrid's right you guys, they have to show up sooner or later." Jamie stated.

They then headed back into the castle and onto breakfast. "I never realized how many people don't watch where they step. I swear my foot was stomped on three time already." Hermione said.

"I know what you mean. Thanks a lot Bria. Some luck this is bringing us." Ginny whined.

"It could be worse." Bria said as they entered the Great Hall. Unfortunately as soon as they stepped in the noticed their fathers standing right next to the door. "I was wrong, it's worse."

"Care to tell me where you were last night?" Severus asked.

"We were at the bon fire with everyone else. You saw us." Harry replied.

"I mean after that. Where did you all go?"

"We were over at Hagrid's."

That's funny, so were we." Sirius said. "Unfortunately we didn't see you there."

"Well um, we." Harry stammered.

"Where are your shoes?" Remus asked

"We can't find them." Replied Bria

"All of you? Awfully funny that just the seven of you happen to be the only ones missing shoes out of this whole school." Sirius stated.

"I know but someone took them. We threw them over Hagrid's hut then when we went to get them they were gone." Ann said.

"Why were you throwing shoes over Hagrid's hut?" asked Severus

"Well we did it for good luck. I would have used a different building but the castle is to high and.."

"Ever think you may have possibly hit somebody whom happened to be standing on the other side." Severus said as he glared at them.

"Everyone else was at the celebration...oops." Harry said as he realized.

"Oops? Is that all you have to say?" Severus asked.

"Harry looked at Sirius and Remus, "Sorry if I hit you guys."

"Your shoe missed us but, it seems your father was the first attacked." Remus replied.

Hermione bit her bottom lip as the girls giggled quietly and Severus glared at her. "Am I to understand that you are the owner of this shoe Miss Granger?" he questioned as he pulled out a shoe from the pocket of his robes.

"Yes sir."

"If any of you would like to receive your shoes back then you must turn in a three foot..."

"Severus" Remus snapped

"What? They need to learn."

"And what about the match?" asked Sirius.

"She is not on either team, besides I am quite confident that she can handle it."

"And if the others don't complete it?" Remus asked.

"Then they don't play."

"Still, don't you think that it's a bit much for the few hours they have before the match?" asked Sirius.

"We could always send them to work with Filch along with Pansy, Crabbe, and Goyle."

"We'll do the essay." They all said in unison.

"You don't even know what it's on."

"Knowing you it's in regards to some sort of strange potion or another new use of Dragon's blood." Harry stated.

"Well you happen to be mistaken there. In fact it happens to be on superstitions and where they originated from along with their accuracy."

"Well at least we know of one that isn't too accurate." Draco said as Bria glared at him.

"Remember you did not have to follow along with it." Bria spat.

"Draco, give it a rest or we will never get this done." Harry said.

"Fine."

 

*****************************

 

~ Later that morning in the library ~

 

"Are you guys having any luck?" Jamie asked.

"Some but not that much." Replied Ginny

"How in the hell does he expect us to come up with a three foot essay when there is hardly any information in here." Hermione asked.

"I'm not sure. Bria, where did you learn about that one from last night?" asked Ann

"It's just something my mom and I did every year."

"You mean there's no accuracy behind it?" Jamie questioned.

"Well sort of. Last year was the first time I was actually able to get my shoe over our roof and then I wound up here. I was considering that lucky."

"Not for us" Draco mumbled as Harry glared at him.

"So you are saying that before then your life was unlucky?" asked Ginny

"I didn't say that. But, I did get into a lot of trouble back home."

"And you are still getting into trouble. So your point is?" Draco spat.

"I'm not in as much trouble here. That is my point."

"No, your just not getting caught as much." Came a voice from behind.

Bria turned around. "Oh, hi mom."

"I heard about last night. I'm glad you are keeping up with our tradition but, don't you think you should have warned someone?"

"Everyone was at the fire. I didn't think there would have been any problems."

"You should have at least told someone where you were going though. If you had done that then Severus wouldn't have been hit."

"You don't know that."

"I know he wouldn't have been at the hut looking for all of you."

"This is true."

"Miss Dannie, we can't find much on superstitions in the books much less the one Bria showed us. Could you tell us how you learned of it?" Hermione asked.

"I can tell you that it's been a tradition that I learned from my granny but, as for where she learned it. I'm not sure. Knowing her it was just a game she or her own mom made up."

"That was just a game? But Bria said.." Jamie started.

"Well you know how quickly rumors and games can change every time the stories or directions are told. Some games one-day wind up being considered superstitions. Besides, didn't you have fun meeting the challenge?"

"Well sort of but, it would have been more fun to have seen Snape hit with the shoe."

"Harry!" spat Ginny

"What?"

"That's your dad."

"So, doesn't mean it wouldn't have been funny to have seen."

"There, I'm done. How about you two?" Ginny said

"Hang on, ok there." Replied Ann.

"I'll see you two on the field." Stated Draco.

The three of them ran off just in time to get their shoes back and head onto the match while the others finished up their assignments.

 

*****************************

 

"Hello and welcome to the first match of the new season! As you know last year Quidditch was cancelled due to the Tri-Wizards Tournament. So we have plenty of new team members and, here comes the Slytherins!" Boo's were heard from throughout the stands. "Lead by Captain/Chaser Adrian Pucey; followed by Draco Malfoy, Seeker; Vincent Crabbe and Greg Goyle, Beaters; the Chasers David Flint , Graham Pritchard, and; and finally the Keeper, Malcom Baddock!" Lee continued as so did the boos. "And on the other side of the field, the Gryffindors! Lead by Co-Captains/Beaters Fred and George Weasley; Seeker, Ginny Weasley, Chasers, Angelina Johnson, Dean Thompson, and Lavender Brown; and cannot forget our own Keeper, Ann Marie Black!" The stands roared in cheers.

Madame Hooch then stepped onto the field with the box and released the Snitch and Bludgers. "You know what kind of game I want" she said as she stared at the Slytherin team. She then threw the Quaffle into the air and blew her whistle.

"And Baddock gets the Quaffle, and it's Pucey, Flint, Pucey. Whoa Pucey dodges both Bludgers as he passes off to Pritchard but intercepted by Johnson, Brown, Johnson. No Pritchard has the Quaffle again and passes back to Pucey and he shoots, and Black just barely misses it. Slytherin Scores 10 - 0!"

As the game went on Slytherin kept its lead as the Quaffle was taken back and forth across the field with the score of Slytherin 40 Gryffindor 10. "And Malfoy goes into a dive with Weasley close behind. Weasley closes in and they are neck and neck!"

"I thought you said you wouldn't go easy on me."

"I'm not!" Draco yelled as he started to pull ahead. He was then slowed down again as Crabbe and Goyle startled circling him with Ginny still concentrating on the Snitch.

Goyle was handling one of the Bludgers with his club "Well what have we caught here, looks like our old friendly ferret." Then he pelted the ball straight at Draco who barely missed it by going into another dive. Crabbe and Goyle continued hitting the Bludger back and forth while Draco tried getting away from them.

"And it looks like the Slytherins are having a bit of problems with their own team there as Malfoy's broom is hit by a Bludger sailing him into the air. Oh perfect landing right back onto his broom, doesn't look like Malfoy is feeling to good after that one." Lee announced.

Draco's mind quickly went back into the match as he caught up with Ginny once again. Finally the Snitch dropped downward again and Draco was the first into a dive quickly followed by Ginny. "I don't believe it, Malfoy caught the Snitch, Slytherin wins!"

The group of friends met up at the end of the field and laughed as they watched Snape yell at Crabbe and Goyle for their actions during the match. "Potter, Black, step over here for a minute." Snape ordered. As the boys went over to talk with him they noticed Fred and George dragging their brother behind them.

"Well say it." Spat George.

"Good try out there today Ginny." Said Ron."Thank you Ron." She replied.

Ron started walking away when Fred stopped him. "Congratulations today Malfoy." Ron then spat. Draco replied with a nod. "The only reason you won is because you weren't up against Potter anymore." Then he walked off towards the castle.

"You know you guys didn't have to do that." Ginny said.

"Yes we did." Said Fred.

"It would have been better if he had actually come up on his own."

"One day he will." George stated. "Hey Harry, what did Snape want?"

"To tell us that we are the new beaters." He replied.

"Too bad it didn't happen sooner. Didn't seem right not having you in the game." Fred said.

"Thanks. Come on guys, there's a party in the common room." Jamie stated. They all left for the dungeons when Jamie turned around and looked at Fred and George, "Sorry guys, Uncle Sev said you guys weren't allowed in there."

"That's alright, make sure you let your uncle know we still plan on finding a way in sooner or later." Stated George.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review