Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

At the Burrow

While everyone was getting ready for a quick game of Quidditch Ron and Hermione walked into the bedroom to find Harry tossing everything out of his trunk in search of his guards. "What's this?" Ron asked while picking up a book off Harry's cot. "Ooh a diary." he teased before he started chanting "Harry's got a diary, Harry's got a diary, Harry's got a diary."

"Ron please put that down, it belonged to my mum."

Ron continued to chant as he danced around the room when the note fell out and onto the floor. Fred and George heard the commotion as they entered and joined in with their younger brother.

Hermione then picked up the paper and after briefly looking it over she yelled "Ron! Stop this and give it back to him now!"

Ron noticed how furious she was then handed it back to his friend. "Sorry mate."

Fred and George smirked at their brother then started their own chanting 'Ronnie is whipped, Ronnie is whipped..." while Ron turned almost as red as his hair and started chasing the two throughout the house.

Hermione smilled warmly at Harry as she handed him back the slip of parchment and said, "I have noticed that you've started to change. Have you read any of it yet?"

Harry just shook his head, "I don't feel right about reading it. Those were her private thoughts."

"I understand that but your mum wouldn't have taken the time to make sure you received it if she didn't want you to. Besides, what better way than to get to know the person she was than to read how she felt."

Harry sighed "I'll take a look at it after dinner tonight."

Hermione glared at him "Are you sure? You're not just saying that are you?"

"I promise." he said as he put the book back into his trunk then the two of them ran downstairs to join their friends. Later that evening when Harry was certain that everyone else was asleep he picked up his wand and the diary then went into the closet to make sure he didn't waked anyone up. As soon as the door was shut he whispered "Lumos" and the end of the wand lit the small room just enough so he could sit on the floor and start reading.

******************************

1 September 1977

Dear Diary,

Well today officially started the first day of this whole new life. I am so scared and excited. I am home sick already but from what I've seen so far I don't want to leave here. I really don't know what all I exactly feel. Everything is happening so fast and I really don't want to miss any of it.

I am happy to be away from Petunia. Ever since I received my letter she has walked around calling me a freak. Unfortunately I have noticed that some of the kids here can be just as cruel. Today while on the train to school I was sharing a compartment with this one boy, (his name I can't recall right now because it's kind strange.) Well we were just joking around and all and he was telling me all that his friends had told him about the school. Well all of a sudden this blonde haired jerk stuck his head in and said something about the boy's parents being upset about him talking to a Mud-blood. Well the boy I was talking to wound up leaving with him. When I ran into him again at the sorting ceremony he completely ignored me. Sigh I was hoping at first that we would be put into the same house so that I could get to know him but, he was sorted into the snake house (not sure of all these strange names yet) and I was put into umm...oh yea, Gryffindor (says it on my robes now. SO COOL) that's it.

Good news though, I did meet some other kids here though. There's Molly who is in her 7th year, and Serious (cruel parents) who doesn't act anything like his name, and then James. I was telling James about what happened between me and the two snake boys and he was shocked to the point that I was told if I was called it again to let him know and they would make sure it wouldn't happen again. Although I don't know what a Mud-blood is but from the way they acted it's not good. At least that one boy didn't actually call me it, he just left with the one who did.

Know what's funny? Don't say anything but James sort of looks like the boy I met from the snake house.. Both cute but you know my taste. Oops better get to bed, got classes first thing in the morning.

Talk to you later,

Love, Lily

******************************

Harry sighed and though I have enough time to read one more entry.

******************************

10 September 1977

Dear Diary,

Well so far so good. The classes here are SO COOL. Three times a week we have Potions with the Slytherins!!! (You know that snake house) I have made some more friends here. There is now Remie (only I get to call him that) and there is also Peter. As for the girls I share a room with, they are too gossipy for my taste. It's always I heard this or I heard that. Sorry but I don't think so.

Let's see now, about my newer friends. Remus (Remie) is very sweet but also very shy, as for Peter, there is something I really don't like about that boy. He is way to quiet and I just get this creepy feeling whenever he's around. James and Serious, they can be some real troublemakers at times. This morning when I woke up my hair was neon green. I can't prove it but I think that those two had something to do with it cause the minute I stepped into the common room Serious was taking my photo. I'm going to have to go to the library this weekend to look up some spells just so I can get even with them.

As I said earlier, we have Potions with the Slytherins 3 times a week. The more I look at them the more James and Severus really looks alike. Unfortunately Sev hangs out with that blonde jerk still so he won't even talk to me. It's almost as if he's not allowed to. We were put together as partners today during class and he didn't say one word nor let me do any of the work. I though it was suppose to be a team effort. Anyway the stupid professor gave me detention for it while Sev got full marks on the assignment. Go figure, after-all he is the Head of the Slytherin House.

Oops, gotta run. I'm late for detention.

Ok, I'm back!

Geesh that was miserable. When I got there Sev was talking to Professor Gollum about something. They immediately got quiet when I arrived. As I sat down to work on my make up assignment he actually had the guts to try to look at me but then he immediately turned his eyes to the floor. I am so confused, I like him but in a way I think he may like me but then he can be the rudest jerk in the world. This is all too confusing. I'll just forget him, afterall I'm still too young.

Gotta run,

LL

******************************

Harry decided to turn in for the night but couldn't believe his mom actually had a crush on Professor Snape. ICK. No, it had to be someone else named Severus, besides from what I've seen he looks nothing like my dad. It can't be. And with that last thought Harry finally fell asleep.

The next day Harry woke up to a small knock on the door. When he looked around the room he noticed he was the only one in there so he stumbled out of bed to answer it.

"Mrs. Weasley would like to know if you are coming down for lunch" Hermione stated.

"Yeah." Harry said as he turned around to throw on his shirt while leaving the door open.

Hermione gasped when she noticed his back. "What in the world?"

Embarrassed, Harry quickly threw on his shirt and said. "I didn't get the housework done quick enough a few times so I had to pay for my laziness. It's really nothing."

Hermione shook her head "Harry, how come you haven't told Dumbledore about this before?"

"Because if I had then the ministry would have put me into foster care if not worse, an orphanage. Besides, with Sirius pardoned now I don't have to go back there ever again."

"Before we go down, did you get a chance to read any of your mom's diary?"

"Yes but so far it didn't answer any questions, just brought up a few more."

"Well how much did you read?"

"Just the first two entries but, it was the beginning of her first year. It just spoke of how cruel Aunt Petunia was some boy she met on the train who hung around with a blonde jerk and then ignored her. Then she mentioned her new friends who were my dad, Sirius, Remus, Peter, and some 7th year named Molly. Also told how much she hated her Potions Master. No real answers there."

Well why don't you try skipping ahead in the book and maybe that will help. Isn't Mrs. Weasley's name Molly? Maybe she's the one in the book and can help you too."

"That's an idea. I never thought of asking her. Besides they are around the same age."

Later that day everyone was outside playing Quiddich again when Harry went inside to get some water. "Mrs. Weasley, can I ask you something?"

"Sure Hon, what's on your mind?"

"Well um, see I err got as one of my birthday presents this book you see and um."

"Harry, sit down, take a deep breath, and relax. You'll be able to ask a lot easier."

Harry took her advice then continued. "Well this book I got, I don't know who sent it but it's my mum's diary. When I opened it up there was this note inside." Harry handed her the letter from Lily.

Molly quietly read the letter that the boy handed her. Then apologizing for her tearful eyes she said. "I'm sorry Harry, I can see why you have some questions. You really need for your mum's words to answer those for you. What I can agree on is you look more and more like both your parents every time I look at you." Kneeling down next to where the boy sat she put her arm around his shoulder and continued. "No matter what you may think now. Your father at one point was a very good man who loved your mum with all his heart."

"So you are the Molly that my mum mentions?"

Molly nodded, "And I see you have already started reading it. Why don't you head on up and read some more before dinner."

"You said I look more and more like my parents, I have seen photos of my father as a boy and as an adult but for some reason I cant see him in me anymore."

At that point Fred and George strolled in and Fred said, "That's because of your long hair you look like a Snape."

Molly glared at the boys then looked at Harry smiling. "Go get to know your mother some more Hon."

With that Harry hugged Mrs. Weasley, whispered "Thank you" and ran upstairs to the bedroom. Harry took Hermione's advice and looked ahead in the diary but, only skipped a few entries.

******************************

5 January 1978

Well I just arrived back from the winter holidays. It was so good to be back home with my parents. I tried so hard getting along with petunia but with her usual attitude it was pretty bad. Not to mention with that new boyfriend of hers, Vernon, she was twice as bad plus his attitude as well. I was so happy when dad threw him out for disrespect but, I had no idea that dad would be strong enough to lift the fat-ass up like that. I hate to say it but I really think that Petunia and Vernon are made for one another.

On for the good news. The presents! (hehehe) Mum and Dad got me one of those new Atari systems, a new turntable, and some records. I also got some candy and dung-bombs that the gang owled over. I was grounded the last two days at home because I set off the dung-bombs in Tuna's room.

THANKS A LOT SIRIUS, NOW QUIT READING OVER MY SHOULDER!

Good now that I got rid of him I can continue.

I even got a card from Sev. I was so surprised and so happy. He asked me not to reply to the letter but he would explain things when he had a chance. Yes, I still think he's cute but he won't even act like my friend and he's always with Malfoy.

UUUGGGHHH

Well time for dinner so I have to run.

******************************

Harry sighed and thought Ok, lets try skipping more.

******************************

1 June 1978

I can't believe it. This is so cool. Mum and dad agreed for all my friends to come and spend a few weeks at the house. It won't start until the middle of the month but I can hardly wait.

From June 15-30 everyone is going to be here. I get to show them the Muggle world, boy are they in for a shock.

Then we're going to spend a few weeks at Sirius' home, then everyone is with their families for a week then two weeks at Remie's since he lives the closest to Diagon Alley, and then the rest of the time at James' house since it has the most room. Mr. and Mrs. Potter have even invited our parents to stay with them the last week before school starts.

Well I have got to go or I'll miss the train home. I'm leaving you here so that Tuna-face doesn't find you.

Happy summer,

Love Lily.

******************************

Later that evening Molly contacted Dumbledore using the Floo network. "Headmaster, I need to talk to you about Harry."

"Molly, how many times have I told you to call me Albus?"

"I know but you know how hard it is to break old habits. Anyway about Harry. You realize that he will be there next week right?"

"Yes I do. I presume you have noticed he started changing already?"

Molly sighs. "Yes. He looks more like his dad than I expected him to. Thing is, the twins have already started commenting about his appearance. This is happening so quickly, is there anything I can do to slow it down before he gets the wrong ideas?"

"Unfortunately not. We must let nature take its course with him. Can you get him ready to arrive here tomorrow?"

"I think that maybe the best solution. He's having a great time with the kids but, he really needs to read the diary more and here he doesn't have too much time to do so."

"Ok, I will let the guys know. Is there anything else?"

Molly swallowed hard. "Unfortunately yes. Hermione came to me today. Turns out that when she woke him up for lunch she noticed his back was covered in whelps. When she asked him about it he told her that it was a payment for not getting his chores done quickly enough."

Dumbledore's eyes widened. "Have you seen these marks?"

"No but, I noticed that he just about jumped out of his skin when I place my arm on his shoulders. Please tell me he doesn't' have to go there ever again."

"No, not unless he really wants to but, I appreciate you telling me. I will take care of things on this end. You get Harry ready."

"Thank you sir."

Dumbledore immediately owled Sirius, Remus and Severus.

Please come to my office immediately. We need to talk.

Chapter End Notes:
Please Review