Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Merci to zee vonderful betas Rlmess and Cithara.
Friend or Foe

Chapter 29

Friend or Foe

Author's notes at the bottom

xxx

So far, Magic on the Offense had proven to be quite an interesting class. It was a bit like Dueling Club, in Harry's opinion, with the exception of now having a competent teacher and being skilled in Defense, which leveled the playing field quite a bit.

The teacher, Professor Mortan, was a firm but benevolent man. He was middle aged, probably in his late thirties. His features were prominent, but the edges of his face were soft. He was tall, and had a powerful presence when he drew himself up to his full height. He projected a tough, but not sinister image. He owned his classroom, and everyone in there knew it; there was no chance of getting away with mischief, and one didn't risk lazing about.

Today, however, Harry's heart simply wasn't in what he was doing. His father had left earlier that morning, and he was finding it difficult to concentrate on the minor duel he and Ron were having, using only blasting curses as offensive moves. Ron seemed eager to forget their argument and Harry wasn't eager to bring it up, as much as he wondered what had brought about the change. Perhaps Ron had simply realized the unfairness in being angry with Harry over something he couldn't very well control, but Harry had a strong feeling that Hermione was the more likely catalyst behind the change. Still, despite Ron's newly agreeable nature, Harry felt anxious over the forced nature of their conversations; he was almost a bit too cheery to be believed. Between his Father's absence and his preoccupation with Ron's behavior, Harry was quite distracted and kept letting Ron get moves by him far too easily.

Ron didn't seem to notice. As their teacher instructed them to once again construct their blocks, Ron eagerly raised his own wand, quickly contemplating the next spell he would hurl Harry's way. And it was, indeed, a good one. Harry's block faltered; Ron's curse had penetrated it, and Harry received a sharp blow to the arm. Ron yelled in victory; Harry sullenly sat himself on a nearby crate.

Twice during this class Ron managed to do the exact same thing, and by the end, Harry was quite sick of Magic on the Offense. The Professor announced, as they gathered their things to leave class, that the next week, those who had been constructing blocks would be given a turn at aiming the spells, so doing the reading would be advisable. Harry wasn't looking forward to this as much as he might have in normal circumstances.

Just three days, Harry mentally braced himself. Three days until he returns and I know that everything will be all right… just three.

xxx

"Harry, are you coming down for dinner?" Hermione asked, sliding back into her jumper and moving to stand with Ron.

"I don't know," Harry said irritably, rubbing his temples and glaring at the book in front of him. He'd been trying to concentrate on his Transfiguration homework for an hour now, but his attention kept waning, and now his head was pounding.

"I think it'll probably do you some good," Hermione said, striding over to him and closing the book he was staring at. He looked up at her and opened his mouth to tell her off, but she fixed him with an irrefutable look of insistence and tugged him up by the arm. "How do you expect to keep up with your schoolwork and attend Quidditch if you don't eat?" She questioned, leading him towards the door.

"Ron, kindly ask Hermione to stop imitating your mother," Harry complained as Hermione dragged him out the portrait hole.

"Is that a slight on Hermione or my Mum?" Ron inquired, half jokingly, as he followed at a distance.

As it turned out, Harry was actually a lot hungrier than he'd anticipated. When the food on the table appeared, and the tempting smells began wafting his way, he realized just how long he'd been neglecting his stomach for. He began to pile his plate full with red potatoes and steaming roast with gravy.

Ron looked impressed, and Hermione quirked her lips and said, "I thought you weren't hungry."

Harry shot her a look. "Apparently I was wrong."

"Well, I can see one reason you'll be glad you came down to dinner," Hermione said after a moment, while Harry began to voraciously devour his food.

"Yeah Hermione, you've already said-" started Harry through a mouth full of food, but Hermione huffed impatiently and shook her head.

"No, I mean, look!" And she pointed up to the head table, where Hagrid sat deep in conversation with Professor Sprout.

"He's back!" Harry swallowed his food and waved heartily in Hagrid's direction, but to his surprise, Hagrid glanced over briefly, seemed to scowl to himself, and turned back to his conversation.

"Well, that was weird," Ron remarked at Harry's side.

"No, it wasn't," said Hermione in a low voice. "None of us is on his class list for Care of Magical Creatures, are we?"

"Oh," said Ron and Harry rather lamely, and Harry realized that he would have to add guilt to the list of emotions currently clouding his mind.

"Well, he can't stay mad at us forever," Harry said resolutely after a moment of thought. "We'll go down and see him after dinner, explain everything. There's no way he'll turn us away if we just show up on his doorstep."

But this was not true, Harry had come to find out, as he and his friends stood outside of Hagrid's hut, pounding on the door to no avail.

"Hagrid, let-us-in!" Harry yelled, punctuating each word with another fist to the door. Next to him, Hermione was pleading.

"Hagrid, we want to explain, let us talk to you! Come on, we came all the way down here to see you and we're not leaving until you let us in! You don't want us lingering out here after dark, do you-?"

Apparently, this was exactly the right thing to say, as the door shortly swung open to reveal a very large man who was breathing quite heavily. "You three shouldn' be out here!" Hagrid growled at them, but he looked secretly quite pleased as he stepped back to let them in. "I mean it- if Professor Dumbledore knew I was lettin' you in-"

"He'd be a lot happier than if he knew you were keeping us out," Harry said resolutely as he, Ron, and Hermione took seats around his table. "Besides, we haven't seen you in ages! Where've you been?"

"Well, I should be sendin' yeh on yer way," said Hagrid, but he sounded resigned to the fact that he wasn't going to be able to do that. "But I s'pose it involves you three, in er way. Professor Dumbledore has been helpin' me ter find a better home fer Grawp, where he'd be safe from You-Know-Who and the other giants. 'Bout halfway through the summer, we foun' him a right decent place in the mountains. But o' course, I couldn't just leave 'em there- had to get 'em settled in first, didn't I? Took a few more weeks than planned. Not that you three should mind," Hagrid then added, his tone taking a bitter turn, "not as though my bein' gone has been interferin' with yer lessons, now is it?"

"Hagrid, we're so sorry," said Hermione plaintively. "It's just- none of us is planning on going into a career that needs your class, and of course we all really enjoyed your lessons-" Harry had to give Ron a kick under the table, here, as he had started to scoff. Ron hastily changed the sound into a coughing fit. "But we're N.E.W.T. students now, we've got to think about our futures!"

"Yeah, I thought yeh'd be saying summat like that," Hagrid said concedingly, shaking his head. "But yeh could have given me a heads up, yeh know," he added scoldingly. "Don' feel good, gettin your class lists an findin' out that way- nasty surprise, that was."

"We're sorry, Hagrid," said Harry, and he truly meant it.

"'S'alright, Harry, I'm sure yeh've had enough ter be gettin' with, this summer," Hagrid then said, turning a softened expression on Harry. "How're yeh doin'?"

Harry, for his part, didn't know how to answer that question, and for a moment his voice caught in his throat. Hagrid's query was a swift reminder of Sirius, for Harry knew that his death and Harry's grief were the topics of questioning. But then, there was a whole story of Harry's summer that Hagrid knew nothing of, and Harry felt instantly tired at the thought of explaining, once again, how he had come to find out that Snape was his father.

"Harry?" Hagrid questioned after a moment, reminding him that he had not yet said anything. Hermione and Ron were staring nervously from him to Hagrid, as though unsure whether to intervene.

"Well... I'm alright, Hagrid," said Harry. Hermione, who seemed to be questioning whether Harry would stop there, glanced at him reproachfully. Harry sighed and continued. "I've just had a very odd few weeks." Next to him, Ron snorted loudly.

"It's a lot to explain, but... erm, well, Snape, you see-"

"Oh, blimey, Harry, not this again-"

"No!" Harry said at once, for he could see where Hagrid's mind was running. "I'll just get to it, then. It turns out that Snape is my Father, and Dumbledore has been hiding it for all this time because of a promise he made to my Mum."

Hagrid looked dumbstruck. "But, Harry- how can that be?"

One very lengthy explanation later, Hagrid's cabin was silent. Ron, who had never heard the story in its entirety, shared the same shocked expression as Hagrid. Hermione, for her part, had been adding details throughout the story, prompting Harry along, and looked just as worn out as Harry felt.

"So, Snape then- he's been, er, decent to yeh?" Hagrid asked carefully after a moment had gone by.

"Actually, yes," said Harry, and he couldn't help but to sound as surprised as Hagrid looked. "It hasn't been easy, but we've certainly both been trying... it's just, even with our history... really, we're both each other's last shot at family."

"Well, I've always said it," said Hagrid. "Severus Snape is a good man. Can' say I ever though' I'd see the day yeh saw eye to eye with 'im, though, Harry. An' for what 's worth, I think yer Mum'd be be right proud o' yeh. It takes a true man to set aside a grudge like that."

"Thanks, Hagrid," Harry said, looking away as a warm feeling spread through his chest and his throat tightened. "Listen, I know you probably can't say- but do you know anything about this mission he's just left on? I'm just- I'm worried..."

"Sorry, Harry, can' say I do. Professor Snape an' Dumbledore are pretty secretive abou' his doings for the Order. He's always returned in one piece before, though, Harry. I don' doubt he'll do the same this time."

"Yeah... I hope so," said Harry, looking out the window at the Hogwarts grounds, which had become blanketed in darkness since their arrival.

"Well, a' least yeh can take all this worry yer feeling as a good sign."

"A good sign?" Harry repeated, raising his eyebrows.

"Yeah, a good sign. Even if yeh don't understand it, it means that yer starting to care about him."

"Well," said Harry feeling embarrassed, "I just don't want anything to happen to him... especially when we're just starting to, you know, get along..."

"You don't have to explain it to us, Harry," said Hermione understandingly, and then looked at Ron pointedly and asked, "Right, Ron?"

"Er, yeah..." said Ron, though Harry thought he looked rather skeptical. "It's just weird, is all, hearing you talk about Snape that way. But I'll get used to it," he added hastily, and Harry suspected Hermione was stepping on his foot under the table.

"Well," Hagrid said at length, following Harry's gaze to the dark sky outside, "Come on, you three, I'll walk yeh back up ter the castle. Don't reckon Dumbledore'd appreciate yeh bein' out o' bed after hours, and it's gettin ter be abou' that time."

And though Harry felt quite weary from reliving the events of the summer, he felt glad at least that with his last close friend checked off his list, he would not have to retell the story for quite a long time.

xxx

"Harry, you have to get up, or you're going to miss breakfast," Ron said, shaking Harry awake for the third time. "It's already ten o' clock, and they stop serving at half past."

"Ron, missing a meal isn't the worst thing in the world!" Harry shouted, the sound coming muffled from underneath his pillows.

"It will be when Hermione's badgering you about eating again," Ron retorted, yanking the pillow off of Harry's head. "How late did you stay up, anyways?"

"I got to bed at about two," Harry said, attempting to grab his pillow back from Ron.

"In the morning?" Ron questioned dubiously, keeping the pillow out of Harry's reach.

"No, Ron, in the afternoon," Harry retorted sarcastically.

"Doing what?" said Ron.

"Homework," Harry lied. He didn't want to tell Ron that he'd been tossing and turning all night, imagining what Severus was up to and wondering if he was okay."Now will you give me back my pillow? It's Saturday and I feel like having a lie in."

"You have got to take a break, mate. You'll run yourself into the ground, doing homework on a Friday night. Now enough about this lie in- our Quidditch practice was a nightmare last night and I need you fed up to help me practice."

"Fine," Harry grumbled at last, for he could see that Ron was not going to give back his pillow or leave him alone. He climbed out of bed and pulled on the clothes nearest to his bed. "Let's just get down there."

"That's the spirit," said Ron heartily as he followed a very bedraggled Harry out of the room.

Harry didn't speak again until they were about to seat themselves at the table for breakfast. He was, once again, lost in his own thoughts, which kept inevitably drifting back to Severus. It had been two days now since he'd left- surely one more day wouldn't be so bad. And if anything had happened, he would have heard something by now, wouldn't he?

"Your post's there," Hermione said, taking a sip of tea and continuing her reading out of the Herbology book she had perched in front of her food.

"Thanks," Harry said, pushing it aside. He was hungry, and wanted to eat before the House Elves cleared the food away.

"You didn't get back to the common room until awfully late last night," Neville remarked from beside Hermione. She looked up in interest and nodded, marking her page and setting the book aside. "I wanted to tell you to watch out for Filch," Neville continued, "because he was looking for both of you."

"So you were going to warn us once we got back to the common room?"

"No, I was waiting out by the main entrance," Neville said defensively. "But once it was past curfew, I decided it would be best if I just went back. You know, in case he caught me and then… I don't know, blamed you for keeping me out or something."

"Yeah, he'd do that," Harry said, laughing a bit. He was somewhat glad the conversation was about Filch, and not Snape… because he knew that Neville would have worse things to say about him.

"Katie made us stay out until we could perfect the play she'd designed," Ron said, helping himself to a piece of toast. "I don't see why she couldn't have let Harry go, though," he continued grudgingly. "After all, all you do is hover around, waiting for the snitch, while the rest of us work." He threw Harry a half grin, elbowing him lightly in the side.

Harry laughed. "I like my position, thanks. Better than having my sister throwing Quaffles at me full force, and actually getting knocked of my broom by them."

"Ginny knocked you off your broom?" Hermione exclaimed, choking a bit on her breakfast as she tried to hold in a laugh.

"Thanks, Harry," Ron said, lowering his head to hide the fact that his ears were turning red.

"Oh, it's not so bad," Ginny said as she walked by, pausing to playfully taunt her brother. "It only happened twice. And, they were very heavy Quaffles," she said, nodding her head in mock reassurance.

"Shut up, you," Ron said, flinging a forkful of eggs her way. She gave a little squeal and darted out of the way, then headed down to her other friends, laughing.

Hermione shook her head amusedly and picked up her book once again. "You know, I think you might be on to something, Neville, about the use of the Pharmus plant to enhance the effects of a detoxification draught. All the properties match up perfectly with the-"

Ron rolled his eyes. "Hermione, couldn't you talk about this during class? Or at least when we're all doing homework? On Monday?" Hermione glared at him, but he tried one last time. "At least not while we're eating?"

"Ron-"

"Okay, okay! Blimey…" Ron looked at Harry, who held up his hands and shook his head, remaining neutral. Instead of adding to the argument, he turned aside to his mail.

The Daily Prophet had arrived, as usual. Harry had subscribed earlier that year, so that he would be up to date on what was going on without having to hear about it from Hermione. Under that was the Quibbler, which he'd been receiving once a month ever since the end of the previous year. Harry picked up the magazine and rifled through it, but apparently, this was not the end of his mail. Out of the magazine fell a letter- a very peculiar looking one. It was in a black envelope and written in white ink, in a tight, unrecognizable scrawl. It said only, "To Harry Potter." Harry looked around. Nobody had seen it fall into his lap, and so he tucked it back into the magazine and excused himself from the table.

Harry had intended to read it in the common room, but he realized, as he stepped out of the hall and looked around at the mostly empty tables, that Gryffindor Tower would be far from empty.

Harry turned around and headed for the dungeons. No one loitered down there- well, perhaps a roaming Slytherin here and there, but no one he couldn't handle, or at least hide from. He walked speedily, clutching the envelope tight in his hand. He didn't know what the letter contained, but he had a dark feeling about it.

After rounding the first corner he came to, Harry stopped and leaned up against the wall, looking around to make sure no one was coming. He was alone.

Harry slid a finger into the gap of the envelope and ripped it open, revealing a normal sheet of parchment inside. He pulled it open, and peered closely at the writing. It was in the same fashion as the writing on the envelope, but it was written in a deep red color; it almost looked like blood.

Harry started at the top line, hands shaking a bit now.

Potter,

At one time, this would have been of little concern to you. Such little concern, in fact, I found it astonishing to learn that you are now very much involved in the fate of one Severus Snape.

We have found our spy. It wasn't incredibly difficult, especially when we threatened to hurt you, to make him confess his crimes against the Dark Lord. This has been a regrettable discovery, of course. I've always regarded him as one of the best.

Because killing him will be of little benefit to me, I am offering an alternative plan. I am proposing a trade; you may have him in exchange for your memory of the prophecy. I ask for nothing else, only that one bit of information.

This may seem a grand price, after all Dumbledore has done to protect it, but I ask you this: is the death of your father really worth it?

Come alone. If you show up with help, I will be forced to slaughter the traitor, and I know you would rather receive him in one piece than the alternative.

You will find us in the cellar at this address:

1514 Maldrice

Duftown

AB55 4AL

The letter was unsigned.

Harry's heart was beating hard against his chest as he folded the letter and slid it inside his pocket. He leaned back against the wall. How could he possibly do what the letter asked? He was almost positive that Snape would rather he stay at Hogwarts and seek the attention of an adult… but perhaps this was a risk he had to take. He couldn't just sit back and let the man be killed, especially when he knew how to save him.

"Potter!" shouted a familiar voice. Harry turned. "What are you doing down here?" Malfoy asked suspiciously, strolling towards him.

Harry considered the boy before him. Maybe, just maybe, he could find some help from the Slytherin. He wasn't willing to put his friends at risk and force them to come along, but he certainly wasn't about to go completely alone to find his father.

"How far are you willing to go to help my father?" Harry asked him quietly, handing him the letter.

Malfoy skimmed over the message, shaking his head all the while. "Not this far," Malfoy muttered, reading the address and handing the letter back to Harry. "I gave you a warning because I wanted to prevent this, notbecause I felt like charging into battle. Did you even tell him about what I said?"

"Yes," Harry responded. "And he refused to take it into account."

"And I always thought he was intelligent," Malfoy said quietly, leaning against the wall.

Harry narrowed his eyes at him. "He didn't believe it because it was coming from you, which I think is pretty intelligent, actually."

Malfoy appeared taken aback by this; traces of hurt flickered briefly over his fine features, but he said nothing to contradict Harry.

"Listen, you want to prove to me that you're on my side? Come with me. I need someone to back me up, and I'm not putting my friends' necks on the line."

Malfoy shook his head, looking remotely frightened now. "You don't understand, Potter!" He said in a harsh whisper, looking around. "If they catch me- catch us- they'll be harder on me than they'd be on you. My father is a loyal death eater; do you understand what that means? I outwardly go against the Dark Lord, and it will literally be the end of me. I will be disowned- no money, no name, no home, and probably no life, because chances are, they'll murder me. They don't respond well to traitors. In fact, there's probably little use in going. If, and I mean if Snape is still alive, they don't intend to keep him that way. They are not going to give him up for anything, trust me. He will be tortured and killed, and they won't pass on the opportunity to do the same to you."

"They need me alive," Harry said in a quiet growl, not liking at all what Malfoy was telling him.

"They don't need you sane," Malfoy responded. "You've heard what happened to the Longbottoms? They weren't killed because the Death Eaters weren't sure how they came into the prophecy; the only reason they're still alive is that they might do more damage dead. But they didn't just let them go, did they? They made sure that the Longbottoms would be incapable of doing them any harm."

Harry took a moment to sort out his thoughts; he was getting frantic now. "Listen, Malfoy, I need you to come with me. You're the only person who knows how they work. If I get into a spot of trouble, I need someone like you at my side."

"If you get into a spot of trouble, I'll be away from your side as quickly as I can!" Malfoy said, then lowered his voice again. "I'm not the one you want-"

"Fine, you don't have to stick with me. But at least come so that you can get help for me if I need it! Don't forget, you need me. Otherwise you will spend your life serving Voldemort. Remember that?"

Malfoy stared at him for a moment, and then nodded. "Yeah," he said resentfully, "I remember that."

"So will you come with me?" Harry asked, more instantly this time.

There was a moment's silence, and then, slowly, Malfoy nodded. "Fine…" he took a deep breath. "I'll come with you."

"Good," Harry said, immediately grabbing the other boy's wrist and pulling him down the hallway. "The letter says to go to the cellar of the address at Duftown. Do you know how to get there?"

"Well, of course," Malfoy said disdainfully. "We use the floo."

"Can we do that from here?" Harry asked doubtfully, and Malfoy narrowed his eyes.

"Of course not, they watch the floo at Hogwarts. We'll have to go to Hogsmeade first. Merlin, you really do need me."

"Yeah, whatever," Harry muttered. They'd reached the top of the stairs now, and were standing right at the entrance hall. Harry looked around; no one was in sight. "Come on, coast is clear," he said quietly, waving to Malfoy.

"There's no need to be all dramatic about it," Malfoy sneered. "We are allowed in the entrance hall. And we're allowed to go outside. We'll have to work a bit to get into Hogsmeade, but-"

"My cloak," Harry suddenly groaned.

"What?"

"My cloak. I'm going to need my cloak."

"The one you use to sneak around the school all the time?"

Harry glared at him. "Yeah, that one."

"Well, where is it?" Malfoy said impatiently, tapping his foot.

"It's in Gryffindor Tower. But you're not coming into our Common Room."

Malfoy rolled his eyes and made a sound of disgust. "Fine by me."

"How do I know you won't leave the moment I turn my back?" Harry questioned charily.

"Potter, I haven't got to come with you, you know. I am doing this by choice. I'm not going to try to escape."

"Right," Harry said. "Well then, you wait here, and I'll run and fetch my cloak."

"You do that," Malfoy said mockingly, leaning up against the wall.

Harry turned and headed for his common room. He wanted to run, but he suspected that if he did, and someone saw him, he'd be much more likely to be questioned.

Even without running, Harry reached his common room quickly and luckily with no interruptions. He hurriedly said the password and darted up to his dormitory, grabbing his cloak and heading back out the door quickly. However, when he arrived at the bottom of the stairs, he was faced with his first obstacle; there stood Ginny Weasley, holding an open letter in her hand and staring at him accusatorily. Harry felt his pocket- empty. The letter in her hands was certainly the one he had been dreading. She folded her arms and planted her feet seemingly determined not to let him past her. "What is this?" she demanded at once, waving the letter at him.

"It's-" Harry couldn't quite finish his sentence. What was she going to do? Was she going to get one of the Professors? Was she going to refuse to let him go?

"Harry," she said quietly, stepping forward. "Are you going to go?"

"Are you going to stop me?"

"I don't think I could," she admitted, tilting her head to the side.

"Yes, I'm going," Harry said after a moment of hesitation. Ginny lowered her head for a moment, and then looked back up.

"Well, not by yourself," she said.

"I'm not bringing you, or Ron or Hermione or Neville or anybody else, along with me. I won't put you all in danger again."

"It's my choice," Ginny said, voice stronger and more adamant now. "I'm not letting you go alone, and if you try and argue, it'll only hold you up longer."

"No, Ginny-" but she was already heading towards the door. "Ginny!" Harry called, catching up to her. "Listen, I'm not going alone."

"Who's coming with you?" Ginny asked, seeming surprised.

Harry hesitated, and then admitted, "Malfoy."

"That little ferret?" Ginny exclaimed. "Harry, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote the letter!"

"He didn't," Harry said. "I'm sure of it- you- listen, it's complicated."

"Only because you're complicating it," Ginny said. She waited a moment, and then gave him an ultimatum. "Either you let me come with you, or I'm going to go get McGonagall."

"Ginny, don't," Harry sighed.

"Then bring me with you!" she demanded. Harry's shoulders dropped, and he gave in.

"Fine- but only if you promise you'll follow my instructions."

Ginny gave him a doubtful look, but said nothing to the contrary. Not wanting to waste any more time, Harry took this as compliance and led her out the Portrait hole.

"Listen, Harry," Ginny started as they headed down the hall. "Don't you think this is a little foolish? We don't know what we're getting ourselves into! We could disappear, and no one would ever know where we went."

"If we go to Dumbledore, he'll keep us up in his office and he won't act. You know that," Harry said. "He'd let Severus die rather than risk giving him away by investigating matters."

"Well, I know, it's just that-"

"Are you going to stay behind and be our safety net?" Harry asked, rounding on her. "Because to be honest, I don't really trust anyone else to keep their mouths shut."

"I- maybe," Ginny said, looking flustered. "Perhaps we could- I know this spell. We write notes and charm them to respond to a wand command. We leave them here, in Hogwarts, and if we get into trouble, then we give the command and they will find their way to Dumbledore. I'd at least feel better if I knew help was coming if we needed it."

"Fine. Where would we hide them?" Harry asked.

"We'll slide them behind the portraits in the entry hall."

"I don't want Malfoy to know," Harry said. "I don't trust him completely, and I-"

"Harry, I agree," Ginny said hurriedly, cutting Harry off. He was telling her what she already knew. "We'll write them now and I'll slide them under the portraits."

"Fine," Harry said, pulling out a piece of parchment and ripping it in half. They both scribbled their messages to Dumbledore, and Ginny charmed hers. Harry watched, and then repeated the charm over his.

"Good," Ginny said, taking both notes and running a short way down the corridor. She lifted one of the portraits, ignoring its protests, and slid the note behind it. "Should work," she said quietly as Harry reached her.

"I hope so. Now, don't upset Malfoy," Harry said as they came to the Entrance Hall. "It took a lot just to convince him to come, and I need him there."

"I won't," Ginny said resentfully, shooting Harry a dark look. "Though I don't know that anyone needs Draco Malfoy..."

They reached the entrance hall in no time, and as promised, Malfoy was waiting there for them. When he saw Ginny, however, his eyes lit up.

"Oh, good!" Malfoy exclaimed as they approached. "You've found another backup. I'll just go, then-"

"No, Malfoy," Harry said, and the other boy halted, rolling his eyes. "She's making me bring her. But I still need you."

"She's making you bring her?" Malfoy repeated, looking as though he was about to laugh, but Ginny shot him a challenging glare. He shrugged. "Well… alright."

"We'd better move," Harry said.

"Listen to him- so serious," Malfoy remarked laughingly to Ginny; she just glared.

Getting out of the grounds wasn't as difficult as Harry had anticipated. Malfoy got them past the gates unnoticed; Harry had the sudden impression that he'd done this multiple times.

"Come on, under here," Harry told Malfoy and Ginny as they approached Hogsmeade; he lifted the invisibility cloak and motioned them underneath. Ginny moved next to him at once, but Malfoy stared at him dubiously. "Are you mad? I'm not cuddling with the two of you under that bloody cloak. I'll be fine out here."

Harry rolled his eyes, but said nothing. Truth be told, he didn't much like the idea of being that close to Malfoy either.

It was a chilly day and the streets of Hogsmeade were mostly deserted. Several of the shops on the main street had closed down, likely from diminished business since Voldemort's return to power; people were not lingering in town, any more. Before long, they'd found a deserted shop with a fireplace inside and broken in. One by one, they left for Duftown. Malfoy was the first through the grate. Harry came second, and Ginny followed third.

"Are we close, then?" Ginny asked quietly after dusting herself off a bit.

Harry nodded, moving towards a window. "We're on the right street- we'll just need to find the right place. Are you ready?"

Malfoy shook his head. "No, wait," he said, and he continued to dust himself off.

"Are you serious?" Ginny asked, giving him a deadpan look. "This isn't a beauty contest, it's a mission to save Harry's father. Could you please get over yourself?"

"Well, since you asked so nicely," came the dripping sarcastic reply. Despite that, he finished dusting himself off and then followed Harry and Ginny, who were walking out the door without him.

Not unlike Hogsmeade, Duftown looked to be nearly deserted, and an eerie grey sky had settled over the town. Ginny and Malfoy looked around nervously, and Harry began seeking out the addresses on the buildings.

"This way," he said quietly, motioning for them to follow. They followed the numbers until they reached Number 1514.

"This is it," Ginny said in a small voice, and Harry nodded. Malfoy had lost his smug expression; his face was pale and stoic, and he didn't look at all happy about the situation.

"I want to go back," the pale boy replied, and Harry turned around and firmly gripped him by the arm.

"Not a chance. You're going in first," he said, giving the other boy a shove. Malfoy's expression gave the impression that he was whimpering inwardly, but he made no noise.

"You owe me, after this, Potter," he said quietly, reaching for the door.

"Yeah, that was the point, remember?" Harry replied irritably. "Now open the door."

Malfoy did; he slowly pushed the door open, and the three stepped cautiously inside. The floor they were standing on was all one room; the floors, walls, and pillars holding up the roof were all made of the same dull oak color. Small rays of light came in through the cracks in the walls and the holes in the drapes, illuminating the heavy cloak of dust that hung over the air.

"The letter said to go down to the cellar," Harry said, and Ginny looked over at him.

"This doesn't feel right," she said quietly, and Malfoy nodded in agreement.

"I don't care," Harry responded. "It's not supposed to feel right, walking into a group of Death Eaters." He paused. "Ginny, maybe you should stay behind-"

"Or maybe you should stop treating me like some delicate flower," she retorted. "I'm just as capable of handling this as either of you two. Possibly more. Now quit ordering me around or I'll head straight back to Hogwarts, and McGonagall will be my first stop."

Malfoy raised his eyebrows and looked to Harry. Harry stood for a moment, taking this in, and then nodded. "Fine," he said quietly. "I'm sorry."

"That's right you're sorry," Ginny muttered, though she looked pleased. "Now, what's our plan?"

"Well," Harry started apprehensively, looking around. "I want to see what kind of state Severus is in, first. Get under the cloak."

"And I want to keep from being seen," Malfoy added in.

"Yes, we all want that, Malfoy," Ginny replied.

"Yes, yes," Malfoy said flippantly. "But it's most important for me."

Ginny opened her mouth to respond, but Harry placed a hand on her shoulder and shook his head. The two exchanged a glance before looking back at Malfoy.

"Alright, is everyone ready?"

"Define ready," Malfoy said darkly.

Harry took his cloak and draped it over the three of them. They were a bit big for all three of them to fit underneath it, but with Malfoy and Harry stooping down to Ginny's height, it was manageable. They located the door down to the cellar and lifted it open. There was a long case of stairs leading down to the dark cellar, and from where they sat, it was quite crowded at the bottom; there seemed to be piles of crates everywhere.

It seemed an extremely foolish mission, now that they were actually here. What would they do if they were discovered? There were so many things that could go wrong- so many things Harry hadn't thought of before this moment. But now, his heart was working overtime, beating hard against his chest, and his mind seemed clearer than ever before. What he was doing was foolish; anyone could be waiting for them at the bottom of those steps.

Not wanting to waste unnecessary time loitering with the door open, the three climbed onto the steps and shut the door above. Making it down the stairs without losing the invisibility cloak was a difficult task. Slowly, they descended the stairs one by one, as quietly as possible. Malfoy looked scared now; he kept checking Harry's expression. Harry kept looking at Ginny, worried about what he might be leading her into. This was his best friend's younger sister, and as of late, his friend. She was talented, yes- but Harry could only hope that would prevent harm from coming to her.

They reached the floor, and they'd not yet been seen. Harry looked to Malfoy and Ginny, and jerked his head in two different directions. Taking the hint, they pulled out from underneath the invisibility cloak. Malfoy looked sick now; his face was a delicate shade of grey and his eyes were wide and glossy. Harry gazed at him in deliberation for a moment, and handed him the invisibility cloak. He looked to Ginny and gave her an apologetic look, but she just shrugged and hid herself being a pile of crates in the direction Harry had indicated. Harry could only hope Malfoy had done the same.

Harry watched Ginny from where he stood for a moment. She seemed fine there, so he finally turned and began to inspect the opposite end of the cellar. He traveled through the shadows, keeping almost completely concealed behind the tall pillars of storage. It had been a few minutes since he'd separated from Ginny when she showed up at his side again.

"What are you doing?" He mouthed to her.

"I ran into a dead end," she said in a voice just below a whisper. "There's nothing over there; they have to be this way."

"Should we wait here for Mal-" at that, Harry felt a tap on his shoulder. He whirled around and raised his wand; Malfoy tugged the cloak off his head and held up two hands to stop him.

"Don't do that!" Harry whispered angrily.

"We're making a lot of noise," Ginny said nervously, peering around the crates. Malfoy nodded in agreement with her. "I think I hear voices," Ginny said after another moment. Harry moved to her side, straining to hear.

"I think you're right," he said shakily. "This way." He waved for them to follow and began snaking his way through the cellar, getting closer and closer to the voices. Finally, they were coming into view.

Standing in a small clearing, with five candles lit in the center, was a ring of four Death Eaters, holding hands and chanting with their eyes closed. Severus was one of them.

"Harry, Snape doesn't look like he's in any danger…" Ginny said uneasily.

Harry nodded, swallowing hard. One of his worst fears had been confirmed; they had walked into a trap. Severus had said Lucius would be there… and he was nowhere in sight. Harry had a sickened feeling that he was hiding somewhere nearby, waiting to strike.

"I have to go," Malfoy whispered frantically, backing up. "I have to-"

"Stop!" Harry mouthed to him. He grabbed at his cloak and then waved him the other way. "Just go- go!" He mouthed more insistently now, motioning with more fervor.

Harry waited until Malfoy was out of sight, and then turned back towards the circle. Severus eyes were open now, and from the look on his face, there could be no doubt that he saw Harry there. He looked furious… and worried. Harry backed up slowly, and Severus shut his eyes before anyone could notice he'd allowed his attention to stray.

"We'll head towards the exit," Harry said into Ginny's ear. "Just-"

"No," said a voice from behind. "I don't think you will."

Harry and Ginny turned, and found themselves staring up into the cruel, delighted grey eyes of Lucius Malfoy.

xxx End Chapter 29 xxx