Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Results

Chapter 3

The Results

xxx

Harry watched Snape go… or rather, he watched the door close; Snape was impossible to see. He glared after the man; how he hated him. He had to turn everything into something that Harry had done wrong. Draco had waltzed onto Privet Drive and plainly stated a million things that Harry wasn't even permitted to write in a letter!

But then, this was the way things always went. Snape would make excuses for any of his Slytherins, but with Harry, he was always at fault in some way.

Harry left the room, and started towards his own. He passed the Dursleys on the way, and was almost at the stairs when he heard Uncle Vernon shouting, "Harry Potter!"

Harry grudgingly turned and made his way back to the living room. He had nearly made it to safety, too. He walked into the room, and Uncle Vernon was on his feet; Aunt Petunia was standing behind him with her arms crossed, and the same nasty expression on her face she'd had a short while ago.

"Yes?" Harry said testily. He didn't care if his Uncle blew up at him. A member of the order would be here soon anyways, and he would be gone.

"What was that- man- doing here?" Vernon said, making it sound as though Harry had invited him.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that," Harry said very matter-of-factly, feigning a look of innocence. "It's top secret."

"Top secret, eh," Vernon fumed. "And what's so "top secret" about it? Are you planning something boy, heh? Common, out with it! What's going on?"

"Nothing you need to know about." Harry said, crossing his arms. Even if he did try to explain, his uncle would never believe him. Was there any point to it?

"You're sneaking around again boy, and I don't like it!" Uncle Vernon bellowed, causing Aunt Petunia to give a little jump. "Last summer, you spent all your time trying to listen in on the radio and television set, and then Dudley was attacked by those, demendy things. Then, next thing I know, my whole family's in danger, and you're being willingly abducted from my house when I'm on my way to a false lawn ceremony! So what is it this time? Why was that man here?"

"Well, it doesn't matter why," Harry said, wondering if Uncle Vernon had forgotten about the incident with Aunt Marge and her rapid inflation. "Someone will be here to collect me soon; that's all you need to know. Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to go pack. I don't think you want me to have to tell them I haven't because I was too busy being interrogated by you."

Vernon looked as if he didn't quite know what to say to this, so after several moments of angry but stumped sputtering, he finally managed a "Fine," through his clenched teeth.

Harry gave him a very sarcastic smile and nod before turning and darting down the hall and up the stairs to his room. He began throwing everything into his trunk, excited to be leaving. He wondered vaguely who would be coming to collect him. He hoped it would be someone like Tonks or Mr. Weasley, someone he liked.

He stepped over to Hedwig's cage, and opened up the hatch, taking her out onto his arm. She gave him a doleful hoot and blinked her large amber eyes at him; she'd been put to little use this summer, and it seemed to put a damper on her normally bright disposition.

"I'm gonna let you go, now, girl," He said quietly, stroking her beak. "You can come and find me; I know you're good at that. But I have to go, and it's too difficult for me to carry you with me. Here," He gave her an owl treat and carried her to the window. "Find me soon; I may be needing you," he said, and released her into the pink evening sky.

Harry watched as Hedwig disappeared into the distance, and then finished packing his things. Then, he took one last look around his room to insure that he hadn't forgotten anything, and sat down on the bed to await his escort. Not but fifteen minutes later, he heard the doorbell ring downstairs. He leapt off his bed and rushed downstairs to greet the door. He swung it open, and was thrilled to see Bill Weasley standing there, a mischievous smirk gracing his face. He looked just the same as always, he had a long fang earring dangling from his ear, and his flaming orange hair was tied back into a low ponytail.

"One moment," Harry said breathlessly (He had literally run down to the entryway). "My things are upstairs. I'll run get them." With that, he turned and once again bounded up the stairs. He reappeared only a moment later, trunk dragging behind him and cage banging at his side. Bill smiled at him and took the cage. He then performed a shrinking charm on it and the trunk, then placing both into the sack that was hanging over his own shoulder, and turned back to Harry.

"Where are your relatives?" Bill asked, looking around. He seemed slightly surprised that they had not yet come to see Harry off. Harry, however, knew better than to expect this.

"Oh, they don't care that I'm going." Harry said, not the slightest bit of disappointment in his voice. "But I suppose I should let them know I'm off, yeah?"

Bill nodded, an eyebrow raised; no doubt used to Mrs. Weasley's mollycoddling, the Dursleys' indifference was probably quite a shock, Harry mused.

Harry went into the room where the Dursleys were again sitting in front of the television. "Well, I'm off then." He said. Then, taking their silence as a a goodbye, he headed back down the hall towards Bill.

"Ready?" asked Bill.

"Ready." Harry said with a nod.

And out the door they went. They started walking down the street, and Harry turned to Bill. "Where are we going?" He asked.

"There's a Port Key down the street that will take us to a phone booth near headquarters." Bill replied.

Harry was longing to ask the dozens of questions running through his mind, but kept his mouth shut. Last year, he'd been escorted by an entire guard, and they had had to fly all the way to number 12. Why was it that he could now be taken by Portkey with only Bill Weasley to protect him? The only thing Harry could figure was that the whole process had been made much easier with cooperation from the ministry; he hoped he would have the opportunity to learn just what they'd done to try and make up for their negligence in the past.

Soon, they were standing in the same alleyway where Harry had been attacked just before fifth year, and Bill was searching through the Dumpster for the portkey. He reemerged seconds later with a half-eaten sandwich, and extended it to Harry. Harry looked at it apprehensively, nose crinkled in disgust. The second he'd grabbed hold of it, he felt a familiar jerk behind his navel, and they were on their way.

Just as Bill had promised, they were soon sitting in a telephone booth just around the corner from 12 Grimmauld place.

"So," Bill said, placing a silencing ward on the booth. "Before we get to headquarters, where you'll be pleased to know Snape is at the moment," He added in obvious irony, "What exactly did you do to make him so angry?"

Harry rolled his eyes and avoided the question- he wasn't exactly proud of the way he had interacted with Snape, but he had so much trouble controlling his emotions where he was concerned. "Didn't he say?" Harry lowered his voice in his best imitation of Snape. "As usual, Potter has flouted the rules... arrogant, selfish, rash, impulsive idiot that he is-"

"Well," Bill started, "To be honest, it was a bit of ranting and raving...rather hard to make out... thought I might get a more direct account from you." Then, seemingly feeling guilty for having criticized a fellow Order member, he added, "I had Snape as a teacher all the years I was at Hogwarts. Believe me, I know it's no picnic. But he is a good man."

Harry gave him a dubious look, but said nothing. They had soon arrived at the doorstep of 12 Grimmauld Place, and had shortly entered.

Harry had barely stepped in the door when he heard squealing and was suddenly attacked by a very excited Hermione Granger. She held onto him for a moment, and then stepped back to look at him.

"You've not grown!" were the first words out of her mouth. Harry raised his eyebrows at her, and then saw the reason for her surprise. Ron was walking up behind her, and he had grown quite a bit. Strangely, he'd lost much of his awkwardness. He stood much taller, and seemed to have filled out a bit.

"Hey Harry," Ron said, giving Harry a bright smile. "We were hoping you'd be coming soon. We were—" Ron was interrupted by a very loud crash coming from the kitchen, and then Mrs. Weasley's voice.

"Now, really, Severus, I understand you're upset, but you could practice a little more care. Honestly…"

Ron and Hermione exchanged glances, and Hermione turned to Harry. "Why don't you come upstairs and drop your stuff?" She asked. Ron followed her lead.

"Yes, and I must show you my new broom kit. It's spectacular…"

They each grabbed one of Harry's arms and led him up the stairs. Once they were safely locked in the room, they turned to Harry.

Hermione had a very stern look on her face, showing no signs of amusement. Ron, however, was chuckling, his freckly cheeks cheerily wrinkled on his face.

"What did you do?" Ron asked.

"Was he really that angry?" said Harry.

"Yes, Harry." Hermione said, not the smallest trace of a smile on her face. "He said you were becoming too comfortable insulting him, and he had had enough, and if Dumbledore was going to let you have your way for another year after wha- I mean..."

"After what happened last year?" Harry finished for her, his voice cold.

"That's just what he said," she replied in a small voice, seemingly regretting having said it. "But really, Harry, couldn't you try to be a bit more respectful? Keep the peace?"

"Oh, come off it Hermione! You know Snape's never rational- even Dumbledore doubted he wasn't exaggerating!"

"Why?" Harry interjected. "What exactly did he say I did?"

"Well," Ron said, smile fading. "He started by talking about how you just barely restrained yourself when Dudley and his friends simply entered the yard—"

Harry's jaw dropped. "I did a very good job restraining myself, thank you very much, and they were threatening me!"

"Harry," Hermione hissed, "keep it down."

Harry frowned, but shut his mouth.

"Then," Ron went on, "He told Dumbledore how Malfoy had come to give you a warning, and you'd met it with a very hostile attitude,"

Harry opened and closed his mouth, looking as though he were about to object again. Ron held up a hand. "Hang on, mate, let me finish. Then he went on about how you'd started shouting things at the top of your lungs, and if he hadn't been there you probably would've spilled all the Order's secrets."

Harry's anger was intensifying. He hadn't put anyone at risk, and Snape knew it.

Ron continued. "Then, he continued to rant about how when he tried to point out how dangerous it had been and instruct you to exercise more caution in the future, you'd started yelling at him and saying that you refused to take this kind of advice from a Death Eater." Ron finished.

There was a short silence; Harry blinked several times, standing there in shock. Then, he started slowly. "And he said this to…"

"Dumbledore, but Mrs. Weasley, Bill, Ron, McGonagall, and I were in the room at the time." Hermione said tentatively. "But Harry, is it true?"

"Well of course not!" Harry spat. "I mean... not to that extent!" He paused. "Did Dumbledore believe him?"

"Not sure." Ron said. "Bill volunteered to go get you, and Dumbledore looked furious. He asked to speak to Snape alone, and we don't know what went on. Dumbledore kept him for about forty minutes. That was why we hurried you up the stairs; Snape had just finished speaking with him."

Harry shook his head in disbelief. He then opened his mouth, about to explain everything, when there was a knock on the door. Hermione jumped up to open it, and Albus Dumbledore was standing there, a firm look on his face.

"I need to speak with Harry." He said. "If you wouldn't mind, I think this would be a good place for a private word."

Hermione didn't say anything, she simply nodded and signaled Ron to follow her. They left the room quietly, giving Harry looks of sympathy as they did so.

Dumbledore shut the door after them, and turned back to Harry. His eyes didn't have their usual sparkle, and he looked very serious. He sat down in the chair across the room from where Harry was seated on the bed.

"So, Harry," He started quietly, "Do you want to tell me exactly what happened back at Privet Drive?"

Harry immediately began to object to Snape's claims. "Professor, Ron and Hermione told me everything that Snape said, and none of it is true! He completely—"

Dumbledore held up a silencing hand. "Harry, I asked you to tell me what happened. I have no interest in hearing your accusations of Professor Snape. Now, is it not true that you threatened those boys who came into your backyard?"

"Yes, but—"

"And when Mr. Malfoy came, did you not pull out your wand and meet him with a hostile disposition?"

"Yes, but—"

"And when Professor Snape spoke to you in the house, did you not become angry with him and point out the fact that he has broken a fair number of rules himself?"

"YES! But—"

"Well, then, you can hardly say that nothing he said was true. Now, since we've clarified that these things did occur, I'm interested in hearing your version of how they occurred."

Harry stared at him for a moment, wondering what was going on in his head. He then launched into a full rendition of his part of the story, and five minutes later, Dumbledore was surveying him carefully over his half-moon spectacles.

"Professor," Harry said. "You have to believe me. I may have lost control of my temper, but certainly not to the extent Snape said I did."

"Ok," Dumbledore said, nodding. This surprised Harry.

"But I must tell you, Harry, that while I am proud that you put so much consideration into your actions, you do need to be more respectful of your professor. He is owed that consideration by you. I had a word with him about his behavior, and this is my word to you about yours. Please, for everyone's sake, you two must put aside some of your contempt for one another. You didn't learn the Occlumency last year,"

"That wasn't entirely my fault!" Harry exclaimed defensively. "He didn't even try to teach me, and then he threw me out—"

"And he shouldn't have, but you did invade his privacy. You yourself admitted to me that you did not practice as you should have... could this perhaps have anything to do with your resentment towards Professor Snape?"

Harry thought for a moment, and though he wouldn't admit it, he decided Dumbledore was right.

Dumbledore nodded. "I need you to apply yourself Harry. You will be starting lessons with Professor Snape again this year—"

"Occlumency lessons?" Harry asked in disbelief. "Why him? Why not you?"

"We've been over this Harry. It really is a risk, allowing you that kind of access to my mind. You are safer with Professor Snape. And yes," He said, seeing the look on Harry's face, "I do still trust him."

"But why?" Harry said. "And how?"

"I have my reasons." Dumbledore said very quietly. "So, will you promise to try a little harder to get along with him?"

Harry hesitated, and then grudgingly nodded.

"And you'll put some effort into learning what he teaches you?"

Harry nodded, staring hard at the floor.

"Thank you." Dumbledore said, rising from his seat. "Oh, and I thought you'd be wanting these."

Harry looked up, and Dumbledore was holding an envelope in his hand, the old twinkle had found its way back into his eyes. Harry took the envelope and opened it. They were his O.W.L. scores. He looked back up at Dumbledore, who smiled at him, and left the room with a reassuring nod.

Harry looked back down at the tri-folded pieces of paper in his hands, and slowly opened them. He looked down at the first piece of paper. It held his History of Magic, Divination, and Astronomy scores. History of Magic was a good grade; he had an E (he supposed they must have graded him based upon the questions he had managed to answer). He didn't bother reading the comments; he would do that later. He had barely scraped an A in Divination, but he didn't care, he planned on dropping it this year anyways. He was sure that they had graded on a curve for Astronomy, because he had an A, and he hadn't had any founded excuse for not finishing.

He went on to the next paper. It displayed his Transfiguration, Care of Magical Creatures, and Herbology scores. He'd managed an E in Transfiguration, which he was very proud of due to the fact that it was such a difficult subject. He had an O in Care of Magical Creatures, which brought a huge smile to his face. He hoped it would cushion the fall for Hagrid, he had to somehow tell him that he was dropping the class this year. He had another O in Herbology, which he could only credit to all of Hermione's help in that class.

With a smile, he unraveled the next page. This one showed his Defense against the Dark Arts and Charms scores. He wondered why they hadn't been able to put the third subject on there as they'd done on the previous pages, until he looked at all his comments for DADA. He'd earned an O in that subject, with many positive comments on his skills. He read them over, and smiled to himself. Someone had recommended that he enter the aurors program… perhaps he would. He'd also received an O in charms, which he could hardly believe.

Harry unfurled the last page with some trepidation; there was only one score left. Potions. He opened it up, and with one glance at his score, his jaw dropped. He had received an O… and at the bottom of the page was a personal note from McGonagall.

Potter,

Congratulations! You have met all the requirements for the classes needed to qualify for the Auror program. I have taken the liberty of putting all of the classes down that you need, and you may choose which electives to take. You'll notice a new list of options is on there, and I've made notes next to my recommendations. Congratulations again, you did it!

Professor Minerva McGonagall

Harry had made it into Snape's potions class… He sat there in utter shock.

"I don't believe it." He said to himself.

xxx End Chapter 3 xxx