Harry Potter and the Ferratilis Potion by Arualcopia
Past Featured StorySummary: At the Dursleys the summer after Sirius' death, Voldemort sends werewolves to attack Harry. Taken to Grimmauld Place by his rescuer, Severus Snape, Harry devises a disastrous plan to rescue Sirius from the veil, resulting in his being transfigured into a baby. Snape is the only one who can brew the potion to restore him, and is the only one to realize that Harry still retains his 16 year-old-mind. Over the summer and the first two potions which restore him to age eleven, Harry begins to feel that Snape is the only one who understands and can protect him. Is he right or has his deaging muddled his thinking? AU story for 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Neville, Original Character, Other, Remus, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Baby fic, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: No Word count: 156772 Read: 173697 Published: 15 May 2006 Updated: 14 Nov 2007
Trust by Arualcopia
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's been so long since I updated. I'm in my senior year of college, taking all 400 level Biology courses, and working part time. I'd like to remind people that this story is pre HBP and ignores the cannon information we find out in it (for the most part). Also, I'd like to give a special thanks to Sunsethill; my ever faithful beta (took her one day to beta!!!). And my friend, Nefla for helping me hammer out a not-so-boring chapter, Syllva for all her input, and Solitare (Emrald Eyes)/Kailanyui for their support. I'm collecting quite the staff!

I'd write a summary of past events, but I'm too tired right now to do it, and I really want to post. Basically, Snape and Harry were tortured, escaped/rescued, and were brought back to Grimmauld Place. Harry had to pick a guardian, because the Dursleys are dead... he chose Snape...

At the time, it had been easy to say yes to Snape's adoption offer-a reaction really, without much thought. However, Harry soon realized that making the decision was certainly a lot easier than explaining it. Harry would never forget the look of shock and dismay in Remus' face when he had come back inside with Snape. He vaguely heard Snape's angry growl as he accused Remus of eavesdropping, but at the time he was too busy wincing to pay attention. At first, he hadn't really thought about how the Marauder would react, but he was thinking about it now.

In fact, Harry was suddenly thinking about a lot of people's reactions. His father and Sirius were first on his list of concerns... not that their opinion really mattered. And then he worried about how his friends would react, namely Ron, when he told them he had chosen the "slimy git" as a guardian. Worst of all, Harry had to find some way to tell the others why he hadn't picked them and he didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Remus hadn't said a word as he had helped Harry back to bed. When Madame Pomfrey had showed up-no doubt summoned by Remus-there hadn't been much of a chance for conversation. She'd bustled about, quickly checking Harry over, but thankfully, she didn't bother lecturing him on the necessity to stay in bed. After the examination, she had given him a sleeping draught and before he could say another word, he was fast asleep.

When he woke late into the next morning, Harry was happy to note that Remus was still with him. The man stood precariously on a stool, adjusting the rod that held up the drapes. It looked as though Remus had tried to open the curtains as far as possible, but because of the heavy fabric, they still bunched up, covering a significant amount of the windows. Harry wondered why the wizard didn't just use magic to do whatever he was doing.

"Remus?" Harry began to ask.

The man, startled by the sudden sound, nearly fell off the stool. Somehow Remus managed to maintain his balance, but the rod broke free from the wall, causing it and the drapes to come crashing down. Climbing off the stool, Remus took out his wand and banished the entire window dressing.

Remus turned, smiling at Harry and said, "I suppose that's one way to do it."

"Do what?" Harry asked.

"I thought you'd like a little bit more daylight," Remus explained.

"Why didn't you just use magic?"

"I didn't want to wake you," Remus replied.

The man pocketed his wand as he surveyed his handiwork. Now that Harry took the time to look around, he noticed how bright the room had become. It really did feel a lot more open, instead of confining. When he had been captive, the room in which he was held had no windows. After his near panic to get out last night, Remus must have realized how restrained Harry felt in the room. Harry's heart warmed knowing that Remus wanted to make him feel as safe as possible.

And then Harry's mood quickly sank. They still hadn't talked about his decision for guardian. Remus must have noticed the change, because he too became serious. As Harry sat up, Remus came over and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Remus, I..." Harry tried to explain, but he couldn't think of the right words.

"Harry, I understand," Remus said.

"You do?"

"Yes," Remus smiled warmly. "You've been through a lot and Severus was there to save you from it." Harry's brow wrinkled, confused by Remus' choice in words, but before he could ask for clarification, the headmaster walked in.

"Harry, my boy," Dumbledore said jovially, "I was hoping you'd be awake." The headmaster came over and sat in the chair beside Harry's bed. Despite Dumbledore's sparkling eyes, Harry still felt nervous. "Have you made a decision?"

Harry was rather shocked by how blunt the headmaster had been. At first, he'd hoped the man would start with pleasantries... Where was the candy offer? Realizing that he had been staring dumbly out into space, Harry shook his head. "Yes," he said quickly. "I choose Snape." If Dumbledore is going to be blunt, so can I. When the man didn't immediately reply, Harry felt compelled to clarify. "...for my guardian. I pick Snape."

Dumbledore closed his eyes; the old man appeared strained. "Harry-"

"You said I could choose," Harry shouted without thinking.

"Yes, I realize, but-"

"No buts," Harry cut him off, his temper raging.

"Please, Harry," Dumbledore said calmly, "as I said, the decision is yours. But first, please listen to what I have to say." Scowling, Harry crossed his arms and nodded. "I understand that you suffered a lot, perhaps it is too soon..." Dumbledore trailed off and seemed to take a moment to reconsider his tactics. "I know that Severus saved you from all of that, but it doesn't-"

"Wait. What are you saying?" Harry asked.

Remus responded, "He rescued you, Harry. I know you feel more dependent on him or that-"

"What?!" Harry was raging now. He scrambled to get out of bed and stood up. "I don't care what you think! You said it was my choice and I choose Snape. Now either you listen to me or you don't." Harry stormed to the bathroom. He was vaguely aware of the fact that he looked more like a petulant child than anything else, but he didn't care.

Harry ran over and started the tap on the bath. After a moment's hesitation, he then returned to the door, leaning against it in case he could hear something.

"How could Snape be Harry's guardian?" Remus asked, "I honestly can't see him taking care of a child." Harry rolled his eyes at the word "child," he was hardly a little kid and he could take care of himself. "Severus is one of the most unpleasant of individuals, he-"

"Severus would make an adequate guardian," Dumbledore said.

"But why would he choose Severus Snape, of all people?" Remus asked. Harry noticed the man didn't sound angry, more confused and concerned. "There's really only one possible explanation. Severus rescued him, so he must feel more dependent or like he owes something..."

"I don't know why Harry picked Severus," Dumbledore replied, "but I believe his decision may be premature. If we had more time-the ministry official is coming tomorrow at noon and we need to get all our paperwork in order. The decision is ultimately mine and I don't think this is was Harry really wants."

Harry grit his teeth, his anger rising; he knew Dumbledore would do whatever he wanted no matter what. Harry almost barged back into the room, but Remus beat him to it.

"Wait," he said-a hint of anger in his voice, "you told Harry it was his choice. You can't go back on that now. Besides, he's sixteen, you said it yourself-if Harry's not agreeable, he may end up a ward of the ministry."

Dumbledore sighed, "I'll get the process started, but you need to talk to Harry and I'll talk to Severus."

Relieved, Harry released his breath. He was still angry at them both, but he felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude towards Remus. Even though the man hadn't agreed with his choice, he had still defended him. Once again, Harry felt guilty for snapping at the man.

xxxxx

By noon, Harry was ready to make his escape from Grimmauld Place. He didn't want to think about the logistics of Snape being his guardian, or "what it actually meant." The questions were okay at first, but after Remus had asked them over and over, it got annoying. Harry was at the point that he would rather go on a picnic with Voldemort than listen to Remus another minute. Thankfully, Madame Pomfrey came by and said he was well enough to get out of bed (as long as he kept his activity level low). Harry nearly sprinted from the room, but he was stopped by a grumpy looking Snape.

The Potions Master rested an arm on his shoulder. Briefly, they made eye contact before Snape looked up and spoke to Madame Pomfrey. "Is he well enough for the aging potion?" Snape asked.

Harry groaned when he noticed the glass held in Severus' right hand. The clear liquid looked innocent enough, like refreshing water-but Harry knew better. "I thought you said a couple days... so I could heal," he said quietly. It wasn't that he was afraid of or even trying to skirt the pain; he had just been looking forward to getting out of bed. Snape didn't reply. Instead, he stared intently at the mediwitch for the verdict.

Madame Pomfrey didn't answer right away. Taking a deep breath, she said "I would advise against it." She sounded set in her position, as if she'd argued her point earlier and was not willing to give up.

"Yes," Snape drawled, "but are there specific concerns?"

The level of her voice increased, "He's tired, magically drained-"

Snape cut her off, "His injuries are healed?"

"Yes, but-"

"Then he is ready."

She huffed, stomped her foot a bit and opened her mouth to protest some more. And then abruptly, much to Harry's surprise, she left the room without further fuss. Harry longed to follow her.

"Come, Potter, let's get this over with," Snape said, pushing the boy towards the bed.

"Stop, Severus. Slow down. There's no need to shove him," Remus said. "Maybe you should let him relax for a little while, he wanted to get out and-"

"Do you want the wolf to stay?" Snape sneered.

"Er, well..." Harry said, climbing into bed.

"Lupin out," Snape commanded as helped Harry pull the covers up.

"No, it's okay," Harry said, "he can stay."

"Of course I'm staying," Remus interjected, squeezing his way past Snape in order to be near Harry's head. "I'm sorry I haven't been here for you lately," Remus said, placing a hand on Harry's shoulder. "I was busy wi-"

Snape grabbed Remus by the arm and physically moved him out of the way. "If you're going to stay," he snapped, "then you may stand at the end of the bed."

"Well, Severus you could-"

"Now, Potter," Snape said, ignoring the other man, "as before, I am going to charm your clothes away. And remember, you must drink all of this." He handed Harry the cup filled with the clear liquid. "This last dose is very important; I have formulated it to get you close to the age you were before your little expedition to the Ministry."

Harry rolled his eyes and then scowled for good measure. He thought up a retort, but was distracted by the cup in his hands. He lifted it to his lips and once it was closer to his nose, he recognized the faint smell. Not that he could name the scent. It was like nothing else. But suddenly, he became acutely aware of the effects of the aging potion. He remembered exactly how it felt to have his body stretched out... the burning pain in his stomach.

"Why are we rushing this?" Harry asked, before he could stop himself. He lightly blushed when he realized just how weak he sounded. After all he'd been through, he should be able to handle the pain.

"Idiots from the ministry are coming tomorrow about the adoption," Snape explained, annoyance tingeing his voice. Harry winced at the tone and looked back towards the glass.

"Wait, Harry," Remus said from his position at the foot of the bed, "What's wrong? Is it the potion?"

"Harry, look at me," Snape said. Harry looked up. "You need to be sixteen tomorrow, to fill out the paperwork and for the interviews." Speaking in a civil tone, Snape appeared to be a little awkward. It dawned on Harry that Snape might actually be embarrassed to act caring in front of Remus. In light of the situation and recent events, the realization made Harry want to laugh. "I know that mentally you're still sixteen," Snape continued, "but I would rather not test the intelligence of ministry personnel. So tomorrow, when they arrive, I'd like them to see a sixteen year old boy."

"Why did Madame Pomfrey have objections?" Remus asked.

"Will I sleep a lot like before?" Harry asked.

"Most likely you'll sleep longer," Snape replied. "The strain will be much harder considering how exhausted you already are both physically and magically."

"So I might sleep through the ministry visit as well?" Harry asked, actually feeling hopeful.

"No," Snape responded. "And before they come, you and I need to have a discussion," Snape squirmed slightly, once again looking embarrassed, "and I'd rather talk to a lucid Harry Potter, than a drowsy one." Harry couldn't help it, he smiled-Snape looked so uncomfortable. In response, Snape scowled, "Not that I'd see a change in your eloquence either way. Now, stop talking and drink your potion."

"Before he drinks that," Remus interrupted, nearly shouting, "one of you had better explain what the fuss is about."

"Maybe he shouldn't stay," Harry muttered.

At the same time, Snape turned to Remus, speaking with his usual sneer he said, "How do you suppose this potion should feel? It's an aging potion. The boy is going to age five years in less than a minute. You-a werewolf-should have some sort of idea..."

"You idiot!" Snape shouted, looking over just in time to see Harry drop the empty cup. Quickly, Snape pulled Harry down the bed by his legs and then charmed his clothes away. Harry was vaguely aware of Snape shouting some more insults, at him or at Remus... Harry wasn't really sure.

The burning pain in his stomach spread rapidly to every part of his body, until it was all he knew. Amidst the agony, he felt a hand grasping his. It was like an anchor, leading him out of the darkness back into reality. Slowly, the pain slipped away and he opened his eyes.

"Welcome back, Harry," Snape greeted.

"Hiya," Harry mumbled, trying to sit up.

"You're too tired," Snape said, placing a firm hand on Harry's shoulder to prevent the boy from getting up.

"‘m sixteen?" Harry's eyes were getting droopy.

"Yes, you're sixteen." Harry felt his head rise slightly and then it was set down on something feather soft. A pillow, that's nice, Harry thought.

Nearly asleep, Harry's eyes shot open. "Where's Remus?" he asked, trying to sit up to see the man.

"He..." Snape didn't elaborate.

Harry caught sight of brown hair on the ground, leading to the rest of the man's head. "Wha' happened?" Harry mumbled. Even though he was fairly alarmed, he still couldn't fight off his exhaustion. "Di' he faint?"

"No," Snape replied. The man sounded a bit amused, but Harry couldn't be sure and he drifted off to sleep before he could find out more.

xxxxx

When Harry woke next, the first thing he noticed was that he was hungry. He felt as though he hadn't eaten in days. Added to that was his incredible need to use the toilet. There was no time to contemplate how warm and comfortable he was-no this was serious. He was halfway out of bed when he became aware of two horrible things. First, he was stark naked. And second, he was not alone. With an abrupt, self-conscious movement, Harry pulled the fallen covers in front of himself with a squeak, avoiding Remus' unbothered gaze.

"Good morning, Harry," the man said cordially.

Harry blushed "Er... ‘morning."

To make matters worse, the door opened, bringing along a scowling Potions Master. "Shower, get dressed, and then come down for breakfast," Snape barked. "Lupin, Mrs. Weasley would like a word."

Remus stood, "Did she say why?" Snape's scowl deepened. "Right. Harry, I'll see you later."

Harry made a nondescript noise in response and was relieved to note that both men left without further ado. He stared at the door for a while longer, just in case anyone else decided to make an entrance. Still wrapped in the blanket, he made his way to the bathroom, darting a quick glance over his shoulder as he went.

xxxxx

Descending the stairs, Harry smelled the food first, unmistakably Mrs. Weasley's cooking. Then he heard the voices. Dumbledore was discussing with Remus something that made Snape snort. Funny how I can recognize that from here, Harry thought. He was well aware of how much time had passed since he woke that morning. Snape would not be pleased. It was strange how suddenly that mattered.

Self consciously rubbing the back of his neck, Harry made his way to the table. He was careful not to make eye contact with Snape and looked for the closest open seat.

"Harry, dear!" Mrs. Weasley exclaimed. He was wrapped in a tight hug before he even saw the red-headed woman come. "It's good to see you out of bed." A bit awkward at first, Harry lifted his arms hesitantly and hugged her back. Suddenly, he found himself reluctant to leave... did she know he hadn't chosen her? "How are you feeling?" she asked-her voice gentle and full of concern.

Although he didn't want to, he pulled out of the hug. "I'm okay," he shrugged. Looking back at her kind face, Harry suddenly got nervous. He didn't know how to tell Mrs. Weasley about Snape... would she still treat him the same? "Er, I..." Patiently, Mrs. Weasley waited for Harry to finish, but he couldn't think of what to say.

"Come, Harry," she said, pulling Harry towards the table, "you look hungry. And we'll have plenty of time to talk later." Despite the fact he was now back to his sixteen-year-old body, he followed Mrs. Weasley's lead, and even sat down in the chair she pulled out for him. He was barely seated before a plate, over loaded with food, was levitated towards him. Mrs. Weasley seemed so happy; Harry had a sinking feeling that she really didn't know his decision.

Curious, Harry looked to Snape for some sort of explanation. The man looked back, clearly annoyed. They held each other's gaze for a moment, before Harry turned back to his food. The sooner he ate, the sooner he could get on with the day...

Harry had only taken a couple bites of eggs before the Floo flared up and Mr. Weasley stepped into the room. Hermione and Ron followed shortly behind him.

Harry was on his feet just in time to be enveloped by his friends. Hermione wept on his shoulder, mumbling a lot of phrases that were most likely questions, but Harry couldn't be sure. Meanwhile, Ron patted his back, almost as if to ensure himself that Harry was really there.

"I'm all right, guys, really," Harry said.

Hermione, despite her tears, laughed at that. Pulling away from Harry, she started to wipe her eyes. "We should be the ones comforting you."

Harry, not knowing what to say, shrugged. He knew eventually his friends would expect to hear details about his captivity, but he didn't want to talk about it. He hadn't talked to anyone about it yet, not even Remus. In fact, he had spent the last few days trying not to even think about it.

"Harry, mate," Ron said, putting a hand on his friend's shoulder. Now that Harry was taller, he was easily able to look his friend in the eye. "You really are okay?" Ron asked, sounding very serious. Harry nodded, smiling a little, trying to seem sincere. "I, er... well," Ron struggled with what to say next, shifting his weight from foot to foot. Although Harry couldn't be sure, he got the feeling Ron was feeling guilty about something. Quickly, Ron pulled Harry into a tight hug, "I'm glad you're back." Hermione followed suit, wrapping her arms around Harry and Ron.

Someone coughed, a few bodies shifted and then a distinct snort brought the trio out of their group hug. Looking back at the table, Harry remembered that they were not alone. Harry and Ron blushed, while Hermione wiped her eyes. They all stood uncomfortably for a moment before Ron broke the silence, "I'm starving."

Hermione smacked him lightly on the arm, "You're always hungry." They all sat down at the table, and Harry momentarily forgot that he'd have to tell his friends about Snape... or about his captivity. Right now, he could be Harry, just Harry, sitting with his friends. Conversation around the room picked up and Harry was able to blend into the background.

Harry wasn't really listening to Ron ramble on, till he said something particularly striking. "I've fixed up a side of my room for you," he said. "Of course, you can change things as you like. And-"

"Wait, what?!" Harry asked surprised.

"You know, my room...well our room. Mum let me and Hermione come home and work on fixing it up for you."

"Why?"

"Well, I know we won't be home until the holidays, but we thought you'd like to have your own space at the burrow. Just think, later today, we'll be real brothers!"

Harry's heart sank, "But I chose-" Harry looked towards Snape, hoping he would have some sort of answer; instead the man sat glaring towards some nondescript point across the room. Suddenly, Harry realized how exuberant Molly Weasley was, chatting amiably with Dumbledore. Even Mr. Weasley seemed happier then normal, winking at Harry when they made eye contact.

"What was that, Harry?" Hermione asked.

Harry felt sick, he couldn't believe that the Headmaster went against him.... Well he could, but he'd thought that everything had been settled-that Snape would be his guardian. He wanted to say something, to shout and rage-so that the Headmaster knew he wouldn't be manipulated... But he couldn't-not in front of the Weasleys; he didn't want to hurt them. Even so, Harry wasn't about to go along with Dumbledore's plans. He'd rather be a ward of the ministry... it was just too risky for the Weasleys.

How could he explain his choice of guardian to them? He had been planning to speak to each of them separately, to sort of gently enlighten them. Now, though, it would be harder. They seemed so excited to adopt him-but maybe, if he could just talk to Mrs. Weasley privately...

"I am adopting Potter," Snape drawled. His tone was bored, but his voice carried over everyone in the room, silencing all conversation. Ron dropped his fork and it dramatically clattered to the floor. Harry's face grew red, with a mixture of anger and embarrassment. He tried to glare at Snape, but the man was busy looking in the other direction, as if nothing at all happened.

Simultaneously, everyone-with the exception of Snape-turned to Harry for some sort of response. Unable to speak, Harry gave a short nod. Then, as one, they all turned to Dumbledore.

"Harry has chosen Severus for a guardian," the Headmaster replied.

Suddenly, the silence was shattered as everyone started speaking at once. The loudest was Mrs. Weasley, "What are you thinking, Albus? Severus would not make a good guardian. Harry needs love and care for him."

"Severus will-"

Molly cut him off, "He will yell at and berate the boy at every possible moment. Severus couldn't possibly give him the love and guidance he needs."

Harry didn't catch the headmaster's response, as Hermione got his attention. "Harry, this can't really be what you want," she said.

"It is," Harry tried to explain.

"But Snape," Ron said, spitting out the name as if it were something foul. "How could you choose the greasy git?" The redhead didn't seem angry, yet, but Harry couldn't help but cringe at the tone.

"You know we've been getting on better," Harry whispered urgently.

"Yes but-"

"Harry, you don't have to say yes to Snape," Hermione said adamantly, she sounded really worried. "I mean, I'm sure he won't hold it against you."

Before Harry could respond, he was distracted by Mrs. Weasley. She was yelling now, rebuking the headmaster as if the old man was a small child. Harry couldn't recall seeing her so angry.

Remus and Mr. Weasley were also having their own heated discussion. And both Hermione and Ron had started arguing over different reasons as to why Harry would be delusional enough to choose Snape for a guardian. Only Snape and Harry remained silent, a fact that really grated on his nerves. It was his life they were all arguing over, and it was his right to make the decisions!

Something inside Harry snapped. His anger boiled up inside himself until it came bursting forth. "I chose Snape!" Harry shouted. "I can choose for myself!"

"Harry, dear," Molly soothed, looking ready to come and give him a big hug.

"No," Harry yelled, holding up his hand to stave her off. "You can't adopt me, you can't." He turned back towards Dumbledore, "I'd rather be a ward of the ministry if you won't agree to Snape. Don't think I won't."

"Harry, I haven't-" Dumbledore tried to speak, but Harry cut him off.

"I don't want to hear your excuses. You think you can control everyone! Well not anymore!" Harry wanted to throw something, he was so angry, but the only thing within his reach was food. Thankfully, he realized the absurdity of throwing food would do nothing to prove his determination. Instead, he folded his arms and glared.

"Potter, try to control-"

"And you," Harry snapped, effectively cutting Snape off. "Why did you have to blurt it out? I would think you had more tact than that."

"Potter," Snape scowled. "I would suggest you go." Snape shifted his body, casually setting down his fork. "Let the adults have their discussion."

"What?!" Harry shouted, "This affects me too. I should-"

"Go, Potter," Snape interrupted. "And take your friends with you."

"You can't order me around," Harry replied stubbornly, "you're not-"

Snape raised an eyebrow. Harry blushed as the rest of the room's occupants stared at him. On one hand, he could continue to rant, but he didn't want the others to think he was angry with Snape. Added to that, he wanted to show them that Snape could be his guardian. He wished Snape hadn't put him in this position... He opened his mouth to reply further, but Snape spoke first.

"Let me take care of it," he said.

All at once, Harry's resolve wavered. "Fine," he spit out, trying to retain some of his dignity. "Come on, guys," he said to his friends, "let's go. I can explain things better to you without everyone yelling."

xxxxx

Harry brought his friends up to his room, slowly cooling down as he went. When they entered, Ron eyed the fallen window covering but didn't say anything. As soon as the door was shut, Hermione said, "Harry, what are you thinking?"

"Snape, your guardian! Are you mad?!" Ron added.

Harry was already getting frustrated, "You both know I've been getting along with Snape better."

"That is a far cry from asking the man to adopt you, Harry!" Hermione rebuked. "Snape is not a nice man. He, he-"

"We've always thought of you as our adopted brother," Ron said softly. "We've always cared about you."

Now Harry felt guilty, his anger quickly dissipating. He sat down on his bed and sighed. "Look," Harry said quietly, "I know you and your family have always cared for me, but...I can't put you in any more danger."

"Oh, that's bollocks, that is! My parents and brothers are active members of the Order of Phoenix. A pure blood family, openly opposing You-Know-Who, of course we're in danger."

"Harry, what you really need is someone who will love you," Hermione added. "Someone nurturing and caring... Snape could never be that for you. Don't you see?"

"I don't expect you to understand," Harry answered, looking down at his hands. "But I do know what I'm doing."

"But why, Harry?" Hermione asked, coming over to sit by him. "You have to tell us why."

"I don't have to explain anything," Harry snapped, his anger rushing back. He sighed; this was not how he envisioned telling his friends. He didn't want to have to defend his own decisions. He moved over to the window, looking out at the gray street below. "You know what one of my earliest memories is," he reflected, turning slowly back to look at his friends. Hermione and Ron gave him a blank look, as if they didn't know how this related. "I remember my parents dying, when Voldemort came." Ron cringed at the name. "But right after that, I remember Snape holding me, comforting me." Harry rubbed his arm and looked away... he had never intended on telling his friends that.

"That's impossible," Hermione replied, her eyes incredulous.

"You're not telling me that Snape was nice to you as a baby." Ron said. "I mean, he hated you when you came to Hogwarts."

"I was de-aged," Harry stated, as if they were both idiots. "And so Snape took care of me. Your mum was there, too," he added, giving Ron a glance, "but she kept babying me, so much so that I'd hide from her. And when I really needed her, she was off getting you and Ginny. I mean, Snape held me, all night... I was so scared and-" Harry stopped; he hated admitting how vulnerable he was, even to his friends. "I've never had that before. And ever since, Snape has been supportive, in his own odd way. I know he will make a good guardian; I really do trust him."

Ron opened his mouth to respond and then snapped it shut. He turned his head sharply and walked to the opposite side of the room. Harry's mood brightened, because he knew Ron. His friend might be a little frustrated, but he was willing to let Harry make his own decision. Harry knew he and Ron would be okay.

Hermione appeared to be deep in thought. Harry suddenly wondered if she needed to look up the situation in a book-the thought made him want to laugh. "Harry," she said urgently. She bit her lip, "I think you're making a mistake." Harry rolled his eyes and opened his mouth, ready to argue. "I'm worried he's going to hurt you, or-"

"Hermione, trust me," Harry urged, "I know what I'm doing."

"Ronald, Hermione," they heard Mrs. Weasley call from downstairs, "We're leaving now."

Hermione and Ron were quick to obey, because Mrs. Weasley didn't sound at all happy. Harry followed behind them, walking them to the Floo. Harry hated to see how frustrated Mrs. Weasley was, her face red as she muttered to herself. The woman looked as though she was on the verge of tears. Mr. Weasley was already gone.

"Through the Floo," Mrs. Weasley ordered. "You need to get back to school."

Hermione gave Harry a quick hug before she left. Ron walked straight to the Floo, but before he tossed in the powder, he looked back towards Harry and gave him a short nod. Mrs. Weasley was preparing to leave, without having said a thing to Harry.

"Mrs. Weasley," Harry called, feeling guilty and sad. She turned back to him, still looking angry. "I... I'm sorry," he said quietly.

Before Harry could look up to see Mrs. Weasley's reaction, he was enveloped in a hug. "No matter what," Mrs. Weasley said, "you can always come to me if you need help." She pulled out of the hug, and then put a hand under Harry's chin, forcing him to make eye contact, "You will always be a part of my family." Harry nodded, unable to find the words to respond. "Now," she said, patting him on the shoulder, "you go finish your breakfast."

xxxxx

Harry barely had enough time to finish his meal before Snape spelled the dishes away. At the same time, Remus disappeared from the room and the Headmaster took the Floo back to his office.

Harry had a moment to feel uncomfortable; sure that Snape would start yelling at him for his actions earlier that day. Instead, the man slapped down a mountain of paperwork in front of him. The quill and ink soon followed and then Snape sat down with his own pile. Riffling through the parchments, Harry couldn't help but wonder how much the ministry really needed to know? He could understand some of the questions, but what difference did it make whether or not he knew how to swim, or what his favorite foods were? Harry had a suspicion that some of the questions had been thrown in just for him, and he tried to peek at Snape's papers. He attempted to be sneaky about it, but before he could make out a word, Snape pulled the stack closer to himself, effectively cutting off his view.

It felt like an hour before Snape broke the silence with a question, "Do you want to change your name?"

"No," Harry replied quickly. It was more of a startled reaction than a thought out response. "Er... well," Harry tried to smooth over his mistake, "um, do you mean ‘Harry Snape,' because I-"

"Harry," Snape interrupted, "it's a simple question. If you don't want to change your name, then don't. There's no need to ramble on." Harry scowled at Snape, even though the man was too busy writing to notice. "Who would you like for godparents?"

"Godparents?" Harry asked.

"In case I should die, who would you like to adopt you next?"

"Is that supposed to be funny?" Harry snapped.

"Hardly," Snape replied pinching the bridge of his nose.

Harry still felt Snape was being a little insensitive. He snorted aloud, when was Snape not insensitive. "Remus," Harry answered feeling smug.

"No."

"Hey, you asked me," Harry shrugged.

"You can not have a werewolf for a godfather," Snape replied sternly. "My opinion aside, the ministry would never allow it. So pick again."

"Er...well, it doesn't really matter who I pick right? In eight months I'll be seventeen. You should be able to live that long."

"I am pleased with your vote of confidence," Snape said, "but in any case, you need godparents. Might I suggest the Weasleys?"

"I guess."

Snape dropped his quill and leaned back in his chair. "You guess," Snape mocked. "You will not become a ward of the ministry or other such nonsense. If you'd prefer me to choose, I would like Albus."

"No," Harry replied firmly. Snape raised an eyebrow. Suddenly, Harry felt manipulated, if he didn't make his own decision Snape would pick Dumbledore. And Snape knew he didn't want that. Suddenly, Harry had a thought, "How many godparents can I have?"

"Do you plan to start a collection?" Snape taunted.

Harry scowled, but continued, "Perhaps you could start by putting Remus down as my godfather." Snape opened his mouth, but Harry continued, "and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley too."

Snape leaned forward and took a moment before responding. "And what purpose would that serve."

Harry shrugged, "It wouldn't make any difference. If they won't let Remus adopt me-"

"They won't," Snape interjected.

Harry ignored him, "then I'll go to the Weasleys." Snape looked away and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I guess," Harry continued, "it would be symbolic or something." Still Snape didn't answer. "Please Snape; I want him to be a part of my life... I can't just ignore him."

Snape groaned, "He will not be visiting the house, nor will he come to Hogwarts. If you must see the wolf, you will come to me for permission."

"Does that mean yes?" Harry asked; letting out a breath he didn't know he had been holding. "You'll agree to Remus being my godfather?" Snape gave a curt nod and then returned to his paperwork. Harry continued to grin, excited to tell Remus and the Weasleys of their new position in his life. Harry had a funny thought, what if Ron were to off Snape just to... Suddenly, Harry realized something else Snape had said. "Wait, what about ‘visiting the house,' what house?"

"I own a house in Dorset," Snape replied, "which, as a consequence of this adoption, will become your house as well. However, Lupin is not welcome there."

"Dorset? Is the house near a beach?" Harry asked curiously. He'd always wanted to see the sea.

"Yes," Snape responded, "now finish your paperwork. We'll have plenty of time to discuss the house later."

Harry huffed, and then picked up his parchment. He was near the end of the pile when Snape spoke again. "Your inheritance from both Sirius and your parents will be held in a trust for you," Snape stated, not bothering to look up, "until you turn seventeen."

"Wait," Harry said, feeling a little uneasy, "but what if I need to buy something or..." He trailed off. He didn't know why it bothered him. After all, he did withdraw what he figured was enough for the school year.

"As your guardian, I will ensure that you have everything you need," Snape replied. "Unfortunately for you, we may disagree on what you decide you might need. I will not allow you to waste away your fortune on chocolate frogs and broomsticks." When Harry didn't respond, Snape finally looked up. "Harry, you have to speak if you want me to know something."

Harry sighed. "It's just..."

"What?"

"I've been taking care of myself for a while now," Harry replied. "I haven't wasted my money and..."

"Harry," Snape called, causing Harry to look up again. "You have to trust that I will take care of you."

To be continued...
End Notes:

Thank you for reading, hopefully the next update will be sooner than this one (no promises). And Draco will be making an appearance next chapter... The county I picked in England was randomly found on the internet, I don't really know anything about it, but it looks pretty. I'll do more research when/if they go to the house. If anyone knows more about Dorset, let me know-thanks! Oh, and BTW, reviews help to inspire.



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1151