Poison by relative1983
Summary: Response to the Hedwig Poisoned challenge issued by Jan AQ.

Harry’s owl is poisoned and the first person he runs into while looking for help is Snape.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Hedwig Poisoned
Challenges: Hedwig Poisoned
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 3101 Read: 9861 Published: 08 Jul 2006 Updated: 23 Jul 2006
Chapter 2 by relative1983
Author's Notes:
Decided to put up at least one other chapter, and who knows what else! (ehm, don't count on it though). hope you will like this addition to the story. Don't forget to read the added part of chapter one!

It was about midday when two pops sounded on Privet Drive. Nobody noticed, as everyone was either lazing about indoors, or on holiday. If people had been paying attention, they would have seen two rather strange looking men walking towards number four. If they had been paying attention, they would have seen the anger radiating of those people. But since nobody was paying attention, the two men made their way easily up the front path towards the door of number four. One of them, with a very long beard, and very colourfull robes on, was looking very angry over his glasses towards the door, as if the door had done something terrible to him. The door hadn’t, but the people inside would soon find out why it wasn’t such a good idea to offend wizards. The other wizard, was rather black. His greasy hair was black, as were his robes. And his scowl was most impressive.

The older man pressed the doorbell, after all he felt it only polite to not blow up the door right away. Some shaking inside the house indicated that someone was coming to open the door. And someone did. It made the dark man, Snape as he was called, nearly recoil in disgust. The boy was fat, extremely so. He had piggy like eyes, and strawblond hair. He also had several chins, an enourmous stomach, and was eating a chocolat bar. When he spotted the two men, he dropped the chocolat, grabbed his back and ran inside screaming about ‘freaks!’.

The two men looked at each other. “You go first Severus”, the older one said. ‘Very well Albus’ the dark man said, and stepped inside, taking out his wand. Albus followed and silently closed the door, putting up silencing and locking spells. The Dursleys would not escape today, oh no.

Vernon Dursley came lumbering in the hallway, his face darkred in his anger (and perhaps fear). “What do you freaks want now?! The boy has left, didn’t even leave a note, and hadn’t even finished his chores, nor cooked us breakfast. If you’re looking for him, well he’s not here!”

Snape leaned against the wall, and waved his wand about for a bit. Vernon immediatly shut up, and stepped back. “Mr Dursley, I suggest we retire to the living room, as this concerns all of you. So do move, right now.” The last was said with an obvious anger behind it. Vernon chose to do the right thing and moved inside the living room, where Petunia and Dudley were also waiting.

Albus stepped inside and took a seat on the only available chair, while Snape positioned himself in the dooropening, leaving no escape for the Dursleys. Their eyes moved back and fort as if they were looking for a way out, but there was non.

“We already know where young Harry is, as he showed up in the middle of the night with his owl. A rather disturbing story he had to tell us. It appears Dudley and his friends poisoned his owl, while he had been doing the shopping. Luckily we have been able to save the owl, otherwise the charges would have been higher.”

Of course, there were no charges against Dudley, but they didn’t need to know. And besides Albus was much more threatening this way.

Petunia clutched her son (or as much as she could hold anyway). “My Duddikins would never do such a thing. He is a sweet boy, doesn’t even hurt a fly!” her voice became more shrill nearing the end. She knew what he had done, but she’d be damned if she told them everything.

“Well now Mrs Dursley, we have proof that he has done it. In fact, his friends have already told us. And much, much more.” None of that was true, but they had clued together bits and pieces, and knew they were right when Dudley paled. A lot.

“that’s not true!” he shouted. “Piers threw in the most at that stupid bird. I came up with the idea, because of mum and dad. Besides, he was just stupid anyway, always talking to that beast, as if it could understand it. And he made such noise in the night, about some Cedric, and then his bird would start up again. It was much better dead!”

Vernon looked once more ready to explode, while Petunia turned very pale.

Snape frowned some more. He hissed “And just why did you have poison in your home? And what kind of idea is your son talking about? We know Harry has been poisoned, and we know it started at the beginning of this holiday. I’d like to know whose idea it was, and why you had done this?” Snape hissing was even more frightening than Albus’ angry tones. And it worked.

Vernon couldn’t take it anymore, and felt he had the right of it, so he blundered his way in deeper.

“now see here you freak. We just got dumped with that boy, had no way of telling you that we didn’t want it. Then we tried to beat the freakiness out of him, but that didn’t work. My son got a pig’s tail from that oaf of a man, and his friends blew up our fireplace just last year. My sister was blown up by that little freak, and now you come in to tell us we don’t have the right to do as we see fit?! I’ll tell you what you can do. You can just pack your things and leave that freak, as he’s nothing but trouble, ever since he got here. Keeps waking us up in the middle of the night with his screamings about some freak named Cedric, and then threatened us with that escaped godfather of his, we won’t have it anymore. And I say; good riddance, you shouldn’t have helped him at all!’

Then he couldn’t rant anymore, as Albus had silenced him. Snape had to admit, he had never ever seen Albus so angry before. And he had never felt so angry before either. It was disgusting, the way this man talked about Harry, Sure he had never liked the boy, had never tried to look beyond the whole James look, but he had never hated him this much. To actually want to kill your nephew just because he could do magic, and had nightmares, was the utmost ridiculous thing he had ever heard. It was quite a miracle the boy didn’t hate all things muggle.

Albus spoke up again: ‘Petunia, I suggest you tell me everything from this summer. And I’m warning you, I know when you lie.”

Petunia pressed her lips together, but knew when to give up. So she started talking.

“Vernon and I had enough of the boy. We had come across an article in the newspaper about how someone had died because he had unknowingly eaten poison. It seemed the perfect way to get rid of the freak. So Vernon bought the poison, and I’ve been putting some in his food every night. He never noticed, even though he is a freak. But since it didn’t seem to work, I doubled the dosis. I finally started to see some effects, and knew that he wouldn’t die before going back to you lot. So there was no reason to blame us after all. But then my Duddikins got the very good idea of poisoning the owl too, as she knew what we were doing. She had been trying to grab the bottle several times, that stupid mongrol beast. But my Duddikins caught her, and they fed her all of the poison left inside. Too bad it didn’t work quickly. We would have been able to get rid of the freak more quickly then. But no, that stupid beast ruined everything.”

She stopped talking, and didn’t seem intent on saying anything else. So Snape and Albus composed themselves slightly, feeling very disturbed that the entire family had been in on this, and that they had even planned to kill Harry of more quickly. How had Harry managed to turn in the way he had?

Albus turned towards Severus. “Do you have it all?” he asked. Snape simply nodded. “Good” Albus said. “Please go and get some aurors. They will know what to do with these three.”

Snape popped out, and Albus just kept looking at the three other people in the room. His wand was out as a warning, and with the slightest sound or movement (even breathing counted) he would put up a charm on them.

When Snape turned up with four aurors, they found some very weird looking muggles. There were ropes around all three of them, they were silenced, blindfolded, and covered in several colours and animals. When asked for the reason, Albus simply stated that they had tried to escape. Nobody dared question Albus, so the aurors just took the muggles with them. Snape had shown and made them hear the evidence, and the Dursleys would face a lifetime in a muggle-magical prison, specially designed for those muggles that had harmed wizards. And let me assure you, the guards – though no Dementors- were just as frightening, but for completely different reasons!

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1174