Healing a Bad Memory by SongoftheDarquePhoenix
Summary: Durring the opening feast of a year like any other, Severus Snape was seen running down the halls holding the body of his dieing son. How will Hogwarts react to the child of their sadistic and suprisingly parental potions master?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Rape, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 6807 Read: 31310 Published: 02 Jul 2007 Updated: 16 Oct 2009
Chapter 2 by SongoftheDarquePhoenix
Author's Notes:
It works!

Once again he reached down to the boy to remove him from the small jail. He whimpered.

He was still conscious.

With a flick of his wand he conjured a real blanket for the broken body. Wrapping him gently within the warm folds of the blanket, Severus saw as his disheveled... son? bit his lip - with what appeared to be a broken jaw - to keep from crying out.

Before he even knew what he was doing Severus began making crooning sounds and cradling the son he never had.

Until the untimely crashing sound of the front door.

Sluggishly the darkness around him had begun to fade, and the eerie sensation of something watching him began to register. It was not the same terrifying presence that /he/ had, nor was it the demanding one that gave him his 'chores.' This was new. This was different.

This was... safe?

Or was just another dream?

It didn't feel like a dream.

Dreams didn't hurt...

He squinted as the burning light pierced his weak eyes, trying to make out the new person.

The shadow of a hand moved towards his face. He was unable to move, petrified with fear as its slender fingers swept across his forehead, and... drew back.

No... pain?

It hadn't hit him, or slapped him, nor hurt him in anyway.

The movements were not exactly hateful, but they were not loving - though he had given up that hope long ago. But it was new. A good new. Or a better new anyway.

Pondering the sensation the boy was surprised when arms reached out and lifted his broken body from its would-be grave. Despite clenching his burning jaw tightly shut a slight whimper escaped.

Readying himself for the blow he was surprised as a warm blanket was wrapped around his small body and the man's arms cradled him close.

Sounds that he had only dreamt of hearing once again drifted through the air.

The atmosphere around changed abruptly as he came closer. The slam of a car door, the merry jangle of keys, and the crash of a door bouncing off a wall.

Unconsciously he curled further into the strong arms surrounding him, somehow knowing that they would protect him.

Willing the darkness to overtake him once again, the boy who lived slipped into oblivion as voices around him began to shout.

He didn't want to be hurt any more. And here, he would be safe.

(Break)

Severus's head snapped almost painfully back to see what had caused the noise.

In the door the man that had hurt his son was shrouded against the motion-sensitive light.

More time must have passed than he thought.

"Who the bloody hell are you?" Vernon growled through his surprise.

Cold obsidian eyes stared at the red face of Vernon Dursley.

"Well?" he demanded once again.

Silent as death the Potions master rose to his feet, still clutching his son tightly to his chest. without any indication of what he was doing, he pulled back his fist and punched him. "What have you done to my son?" So much for being discreet.

"S-son?" Dursley spluttered and swore in shock.

"Yes son! A child! You do know what a child is, or are Muggles as inept at understanding the finer points in life -" So lack of patience was getting the better of him. It had never been one of his strongest attributes.

"I know what a child-" Apparently it was not one of Dursley's either then.

"Then why in the seven levels of hades have you treated him -"

"It's not a child it's a FREAK!" the burly Dursley screamed.

What small amount of self-restraint he had, the potions master lost. Years of being a spy had hardened an already frozen heart.

With no remorse, only unadulterated hatred, he sent the Cruciatus curse at the Muggle.

The heavy-set man fell to the kitchen floor writhing and screaming. Lifting the spell he bent down to Mr. Dursley who was at the moment still occupying the cold tiles. "By the time I'm back, you, such a pathetic excuse for a human, will wish that you were never-" But he was cut of, a crash having sounded over his shoulder. Reflexes took over as Severus sent the first hex that came to his mind flying at the noise.

Too late, Vernon Dursley had reached his mark. The knife had plunged deeply into his shoulder, the man holding it still smiling gleefully in his unconscious state.

Stumbling over the threshold the wounded man apparated away, as his attacker fell lifelessly to the utensil-scattered floor.

(Break)

His faint heart-beat was weakening steadily, and without assistance it would give in to fatigue completely. He had to get to Hogwarts, fast.

(Break)

As the last of the first years were sorted, and the start of school feast was finished, the headmaster stood to address the school.

"Welcome everyone to yet another year at Hogwarts. I would like to introduce our new Defence professor, Professor Court" The blond at the end of the table stood briefly to polite applause and sat back down. " I have a few friendly reminders to everyone. As the old students should know and new should learn the forbidden forest is actually forbidden. The list of prohibited items has extended to include another 43 items, and the entire list can be read on the outside of Mister Filch's office. Possession of any of these items will result in a week's detention."

"As some of you may have noticed Professor Snape is absent from tonight's banquet." The few youths who had not noticed this looked up in astonishment and the rest whooped in joy. Dumbledore paused, holding a hand up for silence. "He is gone due to urgent family business, and should be back-" the hopefuls groaned loudly as Dumbledore held his hand up once again."-sometime before next week. Needless to say, Potions will be canceled until then." he finished merrily.

"With that said, I bid everyone good night. Off you go!"

The student body wearily rose to its feet to diverge their way to the respective dorms.

Loud footsteps resonated across the hall as a figure in black hurtled over the floor, scattering students as he went. Stumbling in front of the headmaster, fully in 'powerful wizard that you really don't want to mess with' mode.

He was clutching a small bundle tightly to his chest. "Albus, help me." he gasped out, holding only closer in a protective manner.

Realization dawned upon the elderly headmaster. His (great) grandson in law was dying in front of him, meaning that the bundle of robes must be an even more injured Harry. "Merlin's Balls, Severus!" The old man knelt down to cradle the younger man in his arms, only then did he notice the sticky blood on his hands.

Ever so carefully he disentangled himself from the dying man on the floor. With a quick wave of his wand the bloody shirt was vanished from the Potion master's torso.

The student population had stopped in their tracks staring in horror as the scene unfolded before them, unconsciously forming a circle around the group. The handle of a blade stuck from Snape's shoulder as blood streamed down his bare back, his hair was matted and damp, no longer its normal sleek and well-kept self, and he was still holding the bundle of cloth close to his body.

"Someone, get Poppy." he ordered over his shoulder, beginning complex little movements with his wand to start healing Snape.

"Albuss" Severus whispered after his breathing eased up a bit.

"Yes m-boy, what is it?" he leaned in closer still.

"Albusssss... h-heal m-my son firssss." The fatigue finally overtook him as he passed out, still tightly holding the bundle.

Minerva moved the cloth away from the man, revealing a small body. A boy who couldn't be older than three was wrapped within the dirty folds.

With a gasp of horror, she realized that the boy was still breathing, but only just. His naked body was contorted and bruised almost beyond recognition as human. He looked dead.

"Albus..." She whispered wearily.

The old man looked from his Potions master to his great-great grandson cradled in her concerned arms. "Oh dear..."

To be continued...
End Notes:
I know you readers are out there...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1350