Breathing his last by Symphonia
Summary: *Oneshot* Prequel to "To live again" Two years after the defeat of Voldemort, something unexpected happens to bring Harry and Snape together again.
Categories: Misc Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: To live again
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4636 Read: 2113 Published: 04 Jul 2007 Updated: 04 Jul 2007
Story Notes:

I would suggest reading "To live again" before reading "Breathing his last" if you had not read it before. You don't have to, but I wrote "To live again" first, so "Breathing his last" is based on the first one.

It's been a while since I've written anything, so I might be a little rusty. Please R&R and tell me what you think, I would really appreciated it.

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and his universe belongs to the wonderful J.K Rowling. 

1. Breathing his last by Symphonia

Breathing his last by Symphonia

Harry and Hermione listened tolerantly as Ron recounted his first practice with the Chudley Canons.

"You should have seen that goal I managed to save, Harry. It was absolutely brilliant. I thought I was going to miss it, but then just in the nick of time, I was able to reach it and made the save." Ron described animatedly with wild hand motions.

Harry just exchanged a smile with Hermione who rolled her eyes.

"Honestly, Ron. I'm sure Harry would like to hear something else besides Quidditch, maybe like how are things going on with your job?" Hermione said narrowing her eyes at Ron.

Ron looked confused, “Why would Harry want to hear about what I do at work? He already knows what I do.”

Harry turned his glaze out the window as Hermione and Ron got into a rather spirited argument about which was more important: Quidditch or work. It has been two years since the defeat of Voldemort and all his friends have moved on in their lives. Besides, being on the reserve team for the Chudley Canons, Ron now has a part time job in the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects at the Ministry. Hermione is now an assistant professor of Ancient Runes at Hogwarts after she achieved a record high grade on her NEWT for that subject.

A knock on the door effectively interrupted Ron’s and Hermione’s ‘discussion’. Tonks opened the door and popped her head into the room. “Wotcha, Harry. I thought I heard yelling in here. Everything okay?” she asked.

“Hi, Tonks.” Hermione said brightly, “we weren’t yelling, we were having a discussion. How was your day?” Hermione asked as she darted looks at Ron who had the grace to look sheepish.

Tonks looked from Hermione to Ron and decided that it whatever it was they were ‘discussing’ about was not worth further looking into. “It’s the same, you know.” She said as she came into the room. “Did Remus say anything about coming home?” Tonks asked as she settled herself into a chair by Harry’s bed.

Harry shook his head, “If he does, Dobby will tell me. Why don’t you take a bath, Tonks? You look tired, I’ll get Dobby to bring up the tea things here and we can all have tea together.”

“That’s a good idea, Harry. Thanks, see you all in a bit.” Tonks raised herself up from the chair and headed down the hall to the master bedroom.

After the defeat of Voldemort, Harry decided to have Tonks and Remus have moved in with him, at his insistence. Originally, those two declined thinking that Harry would prefer to have some personal space, but Harry was able to talk them down arguing that the house was too big for him alone and since they would be paying rent to a landlord anyways, so why not him? Besides, Harry pointed out that by living with him, it would save them the trouble of looking for a new apartment if the landlord discovered Remus’ ‘problem’. Also, it is much easier for them to look out for one another if they were under the same roof, plus the advantage of having a house elf do the laundry, the cooking, and the general cleaning. Not able to fight Harry on this, Remus remarked that he was truly James’ and Lily’s son for he had not only inherited her eyes and his looks, but both of their stubbornness. So Harry had happily given the master bedroom over to Remus and Tonks while he took Sirius’ old room. This arrangement turned out to be such an ideal one that Harry invited his other friends to come and live with him. So now Hermione, Ron, and Ginny all lived with Harry while they continued to pursue studies or careers, giving the house a truly home-like feel.

“Say, I wonder where Ginny is.” Hermione said as she glanced at her watch. “She should be home by now,” looking at Ron. Right on cue, the doorbell rang and the three friends heard the door open and voices floated up the stairs to them.

“Remember that awful doorbell we had here before and that painting of Sirius’ mum shrieking whenever someone came?” Ron asked as he dragged over the table to them in anticipation for the afternoon tea. “Not to mention the dark and gloomy décor.”

Dobby popped his head after knocking on the door bringing in the afternoon tea, followed by none other than Ginny Weasley. Like Tonks, Ginny made a beeline for the armchair and flopped down on it, while Harry greeted the house elf fondly. You cannot ask for a more devoted servant than Dobby.

“Tough day?” Hermione asked sympathetically as she poured a cup of tea for Ginny while Ron made up a plate of food for his sister.

Ginny accepted the cup of tea and the plate of food with a smile of thanks and wolfed down the sandwiches taking a drink of tea before answering Hermione. “Being a mediwitch is not as easy as it looks.” Ginny grimaced.

“But Madam Promfrey makes it look so easy.” Ron said with his mouth full of sandwiches, “a flick of her wand and viola, you’re healed.” and promptly choked. Hermione and Harry immediately jumped up and began pounding on his back.

“That’s what you get for talking with your mouth full, Ron.” Tonks said as she came into the room. Seeing that Tonks have arrived, Dobby promptly went to the kitchen and returned with more food for the group.

“Ah, thank you Dobby,” Tonks beamed at the house elf seeing that he had made some of her favorite snacks. Dobby smiled back and made a bow as he presented the plate so Tonks would have first choice while Ron eyed the new food with delight. Harry choked back his laughter as Hermione began scolding Ron about eating too much. Just then, Hedwig flew in from the open window straight towards her master.

Harry stretched out his hand as Hedwig neatly dropped a letter onto his hand and flew to her perch at the other corner of the room. Recognizing the writing on the envelope as Mrs. Weasley’s, Harry immediately opened the letter and smiled.

“Hey you guys,” Harry called out waving the letter over his head, “Mrs. Weasley just wrote saying that they will come over to visit us tomorrow.”

Hearing that his parents were coming, Ron gulped down whatever he was chewing and blurt out, “You’re not serious, are you?”

“Dead serious,” Harry grinned seeing how scared Ron looked at the thought that his mother was coming to visit him.

“Blimey, Harry. I haven’t got the time to clean my room since I have both work and practice tomorrow.” Ron wailed while Ginny giggled. Turning to the house elf, “Dobby, could you please help me clean my room before my mum comes tomorrow?” he pleaded.

“Ron!” Hermione admonished, “Dobby got enough stuff to do around here without you adding to his workload. Plus, he already does your laundry for you, so clean up your room yourself.”

“Tis no trouble, Hermione, miss. I can do all my chores and clean up Weasley sir’s room as well before the guests arrive.” Dobby said proudly as Ron gave a whoop of delight and Hermione groaned.

***

Harry looked at the smiling faces gathered around his table tonight. Laughter and chatter reached from head to foot at the table, punctuated only by the biting and swallowing of food. Both Dobby and Mrs. Weasley have outdone themselves in preparing this meal for everyone, since no one knew when everyone would have the chance for a get together like this again. Harry inwardly sighed, chances for gathering like these were getting to be rarer now that everyone had their own lives.

Fred’s and George’s joke shop business is doing so well that they expanded to the continent and are now considering expanding to North America. With all the money the twins are making, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley no longer have to worry about making ends meet. Harry also benefited from the financial success of the twins for they considered him a part owner to the joke shop since he had gotten them started on the business from his triwizard winnings.

Percy reconciled with his family after realizing that life was too short and too fragile to let something as silly as pride to get in the way of something as precious as his family.

Percy had appeared on the doorstep of the Burrow one day with his head bowed and humbly asked Arthur and Molly to forgive him for the way he acted. Harry had watched the reconciliation scene from beyond the doorway with Hermione as the whole Weasley family hugged Percy to death. Harry extended the invitation to Percy soon after their reunion knowing how much it would mean to the Weasleys to have their family together.

Charlie had decided to return to England more often to be with his family, after Voldemort and with his parents getting on in years, he realized that the time he is going to get to spend with his parents is less than he originally thought. Bill and Fleur are still in love with each other as ever, even though Bill had decided, due to the scratches that he received from Greyback, not to have any children as a precautionary measure.

After that delicious dinner, Dobby insisted that he could do the dishes by himself and shooed every one to the ball room where the twins, Charlie, Bill, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny played exploding snap with a few alterations courtesy of Fred and George. After watching his friends play for a little while with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and Tonks cheered them on, Harry wandered out to the balcony and leaned on the railing, looking up at the night sky and listened to the sound of the London traffic.

“A penny for your thoughts?”

Harry turned around and smiled at Lupin as he came out to the balcony and leaned on the railing beside him. “Do you even know what a penny is?” Harry asked quirking an eyebrow.

Lupin chuckled and answered, “Have you forgotten that Tonks is half Muggle?” Turning his attention back onto the night sky, Lupin continued, “Professor McGonagall asked me to invite you to the Halloween feast next week.”

Seeing that Harry did not answer him, Lupin put an arm around Harry’s shoulders. “There is someone I would like you to talk to, Harry. I think you will feel better after you do.” Harry looked up at the DADA professor’s serene face and nodded his assent.

Harry looked at the door apprehensively, he had no idea that Lupin meant him when he suggested that he go talk with him. He was surprised when after the feast, Lupin led Draco to him and indicated that Harry was to go with Draco where after a trip through the floo network, they ended up at the Malfoys’ estate. Draco then led Harry to a cottage that stood in one of the side gardens where Draco left him at the door.

Harry raised his hand and knocked on the door lightly. Footsteps came to the door and a familiar drawl floated out the partially opened door, “What is it this time, Draco?”

Harry stared at the figure standing in the doorway while the figure returned the favor.

“Harry Potter?”, “Snape?” the two said simultaneously.

The two stood there and looked at each other in shock and disbelief. Finally, Snape opened the door wide and gestured for Harry to come in.

“I suppose this was Lupin’s idea.” Snape sighed indicating for Harry to take a seat on the couch while he went to get them drinks.

Harry looked tentatively around the room and noticed that the cottage was sparsely finished with simple furniture. The cottage was dimly lit, but it was well cleaned with a good fire roaring in the fireplace.

“What pleasure do I owe for your visit, Mr. Potter?” Snape asked as he handed Harry a cup of warmed cider. Harry took the cup with a nod of thanks and watched as Snape took a seat directly across from him. “Since the last time I checked, we were fighting on opposite sides.”

“Well, Lupin said I should come and talk to you…but I don’t know why and why are you living on the Draco manor?” Harry began unsure what Lupin had meant.

“Meddlesome beast,” Snape muttered under his breath as he realized exactly why Lupin had sent Harry to come speak with him. Professor McGonagall have nagged him often enough about it, and probably have decided that Harry had been kept in the dark for too long about his role in the wars. He decided to answer the last question first since it was the easiest.

“The Order believed it was best for me to remain here, since fear and hatred for the Dark Lord is still rather prominent. The Malfoy family still commanded a certain amount of respect because they are one of the only remaining pure blood families left and no one would look too closely at who was staying on the manor if I choose not to show myself.” Snape explained.

“I see, but how did you manage to stay out of Azkaban? I mean I understand Malfoy’s case but you?” Harry asked.

“Professor McGonagall and others in the Order vouched for my role in the war during the trial.” Snape answered.

Seeing Harry’s confused expression, Snape gritted his teeth. The mongrel had purposely left the explaining to him rather than telling Harry himself. Taking a deep breath, he launched into a narrative telling Harry exactly what Dumbledore had asked of him. As he told the story, Snape watched the number of expressions that flitted across Harry’s face and stopped when he saw Harry turned a little paler than he liked.

“Potter, are you feeling alright?” Snape asked as he saw beads of sweat appear on Harry’s forehead.

“I don’t know what’s wrong, Professor Snape…” Harry said dazedly.

Now truly concerned, Snape got out of his seat and managed to catch Harry from hitting his head against the coffee table as the cup he held crashed to the floor.

Harry opened his eyes slowly trying to remember where he was when two blurry faces popped into his line of vision.

“Thank god, he’s awake. I’ll go notify the medics.” A voice which Harry now recognized was Hermione’s.

“How are you feeling mate?” Ron asked as he handed Harry’s glasses to him.

“A little tired, I guess. Where am I?” Harry asked groggily.

“You’re at St. Mungo’s. Draco and Lupin brought you here. The medics have run diagnosis on you and were waiting for you to wake up to tell you the results. We just shoo mom back home to get some rest, before coming to visit you again.” Ron answered helping Harry sit up in bed.

“Ahh, Mr. Potter, I am glad that you are awake.” A green clad mediwizard came through the door with Hermione behind him. The mediwizard measured his pulse and took his temperature and marked them on a chart at the foot of his bed before giving him a long look.

“Now, Mr. Potter, the results to the tests we ran on you while you were unconscious have come back, so if both Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger would…” and gave a meaningful look to Ron and Hermione.

“It’s alright, they can stay,” Harry said quickly before Hermione could drag Ron out of the room to give him privacy.

“Very well,” the mediwizard said looking down at the parchment that he held in his hands. “Mr. Potter, the test results were most unusual…”

***

Harry put down the book he was reading and rubbed his eyes. He had been getting more and more easily tired these days. But at least now they know why he had been sick so often for the past two years and since he wasn’t taking those god awful potions anymore, his energy just seemed to be used up much quicker. But on the other hand, a lack of energy was preferable to some of the side effects that those potions dealt out. Deciding to take a break from his book, Harry looked out the window of the living room at the garden outside and enjoyed the light spring breeze coming in through the window when a light knock on door drew his attention away.

“Harry Potter, sir? Didn’t mean to disturb you, but you have a visitor.” Dobby said tentatively as he poked his head into the room.

Harry gave a smile to the house elf before replying him, “It’s alright Dobby, show the person in and bring tea please,” and placed a bookmark carefully in the book to mark his page.

To his surprise, it was Draco Malfoy who waltzed through the door and sat himself in the chair right across from his while Dobby followed behind with a tea service.

“So what is it that brings you here Malfoy? Don’t you have classes to teach?” Harry asked as he poured tea into cups and handed one to Draco.

“Don’t worry about me, Granger is covering for me,” he drawled before taking a sip of his tea. “Nice place you’ve got here,” Draco remarked looking around the redecorated living room. “Not as grand as the old place had been, but definitely friendlier.”

Harry snorted, “Malfoy, I’m sure you didn’t come all the way from Hogwarts just to admire my house. Now why don’t you tell me why you are really here.”

Malfoy gave Harry a penetrating look, and at that moment, Harry nearly laughed out loud. Malfoy was trying to emulate Snape and failing completely. “Doesn’t seem like you, Potter. Giving up when you’ve still got a fighting chance.” Draco said condescendingly.

Hearing that, Harry laughed out loud, “Oh Malfoy, it didn’t work when we were in school what makes you think that it would work now?” Harry asked in between the gasps.

“Well, at least I’m trying! Unlike you!” Malfoy exploded jumping to his feet, red faced. “Look, McGonagall and everyone else put me up to this. Everyone in the wizarding world are trying their best to help you, but you, you just want to give up! Frankly, it’s quite obvious to me that you are tired of living, so I’ll just head back to Hogwarts and tell them,” and stalked towards the door.

Just as Malfoy was about to leave, he heard Harry called out, “Don’t you find that it’s ironic? Voldemort couldn’t manage to kill when he was alive, but he is able to in death?”

Turning around, Malfoy met Harry’s eyes and for the first time really saw Harry James Potter and understood who he was. Harry Potter had always been alone. He was an orphan caught between two very different worlds and can never truly belong to either world because of who he was. He can never be normal in the wizarding world as a hero and he can never be normal in the muggle world as a wizard.

From the time that he survived the Dark Lord’s attack as a baby, Harry Potter’s life had not been his own. He only lived to fulfilled a prophecy and now that prophecy had been fulfilled, his purpose in this world was over. Perhaps things would be better for him beyond the veil. Upon realizing this, Draco considered himself to be very fortunate indeed.

“I understand and it’s been an honor to have known you, Harry Potter,” Malfoy said and left.

***

“As the great Albus Dumbledore once said, ‘To the organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.’ We will mourn for the loss of a great wizard who possessed the courage of a Gryffindor, the loyalty of a Hufflepuff, the wits of a Ravenclaw, and the determination and cunning of a Slytherin…” McGonagall’s voice rang out to the group who had gathered for Harry’s private funeral.

“Do you think he would come?” Ron whispered to Hermione while looking around the cemetery.

“I don’t know, but I know Lupin had sent him a message telling him about today.” Hermione whispered back under the cover of Mrs. Weasley’s sobs.

Harry was laid to rest on a beautiful summer day beside his parents and godfather. Harry’s passing had been a shock to the wizarding world who could not believe that their hero who had survived numerous encounters with the Dark Lord would be kill by an insidious poison planted into Harry by the evil wizard himself for Harry had managed to hide his condition from the media. Once the news of Harry’s death was known, a funeral committee made up of Harry’s best friends and teachers and Fudge representing the Ministry was quickly formed to handle the flurry of activities responding to Harry’s death. Besides declaring his birthday to be Harry Potter Day to commemorate the defeat of Voldemort by the Boy who lived, the Ministry had also proposed to inter Harry’s underneath a golden statue of him at the Ministry address. Both Mrs. Weasley and Professor McGonagall were so outraged by the idea, which had been also vetoed by Harry himself, that they nearly hexed Fudge.

After the ceremony, the group returned to Harry’s house for a quiet dinner and rest now that Harry’s final arrangements were finish.

“It’s just doesn’t seem right,” Mrs. Weasley sobbed as Mr. Weasley rubbed her shoulders in comfort. “Harry had his whole life ahead of him, why did he have to die now that he can enjoy his efforts?”

“Molly,” Lupin said gently, “I’m sure Harry is happy and healthy wherever he is now. He would not like to see you like this,” and handed her another handkerchief.

“I know, I know,” Mrs. Weasley said drying her tears. “ But I cannot believe that Severus did not show up after Harry had expressly asked for him. Are you certain that you got the message to him?” Molly asked.

“Hedwig had never failed in delivering mail. So I am certain Severus did get the message. He is just probably preoccupied with something,” Lupin said serenely.
***

As a matter of fact, Snape had gotten more than a message via Hedwig. Snape had been surprised when the white owl flown in through his window and dropped an envelope on his table, hooted at him to be sure he opened it before taking off.

Snape opened the envelope to find that it contained a letter and another envelope inside. He opened the letter to find Lupin’s message.

Dear Severus, it said. I’m sure that by now you are aware that Harry had passed away. Harry had expressed his wish for you to attend his funeral, only the Hogwarts staff and his friends are invited to attend since Harry did not want a lot of fanfare. He would be buried with those who loved him best, come if you can.

Remus Lupin

P.S. Inside the envelope is a letter that Harry wished for me to give you.

Snape picked up the letter which Harry had written him and wondered why on earth did the boy have Lupin send it to him instead. He examined the letter closely to make sure that no one had tampered with it and there were no surprises hidden within it before opening it. After all, you did not survive as a Death Eater and a spy for Dumbledore for years without being cautious.

Dear Professor Snape,

You might be wondering why I am writing to you and why would I have Professor Lupin send you this letter instead. To answer the second question first, I did not have the courage to send the letter to you while I am alive. I know it’s strange, I have faced Voldemort over and over again but I am afraid to send a letter. As to why I am writing to you? I must say I was confused at first, but my instincts told me that it was the right thing to do, so I did.

I just wanted you to know that I think I understand you better now and what you must have gone through as a student, for in many ways, my life resembled yours before I became aware of the wizarding world. You see, prior to Hogwarts, I was shunned by my own magic fearing and hating family for being the offspring of a muggle born witch and a wizard. They did not want me there at all and never concealed the fact that they took me in out of charity. As a result, they made me suffer in anyway they can. At school, I was picked on by other students because I had to wear hand me downs from my cousin.

I believe that it was because of these similar circumstances which you found yourself in at school that caused you to make the choice to become a Death Eater in the first place. But you knew, inherently, that your choice had not been the right one, or else Dumbledore would not have trusted you with his life and my mom would not have been friends with you if you had been someone like Lucius Malfoy who only had his own interests at heart.

Just to let you know when I came to Hogwarts, the Sorting Hat had considered putting me in Slytherin because it felt that I could become great if I had gone to Slytherin. But it put me into Gryffindor because I had told it that I did not want to go into Slytherin. During second year at Hogwarts, I had wondered if I was to become another Voldemort because I was a parselmouth until Professor Dumbledore made me realized that it was our choices that make everyone different.

So there is no need for you to hide from the world on the Malfoy manor, we know what you did for us, for Dumbledore, and for the wizarding world. So it does not matter if others still doubt your loyalty because you were once a Death Eater, because there are those of us who knew the dangers and the sacrifices you have endured and to us, you have atoned for your crimes which makes you are a hero, just like everyone else who had stood up against Voldemort.

Lastly, thanks for the time and effort that you have put into trying to save me. Yes, I had known all along that it was you who had made those potions that held back the poison. I also know that now, you had considered my refusal to take them and the fact that they cannot cure me as a personal failure. I do not fear death since I finally understand what Professor Dumbledore meant when he said after I destroyed the Sorcerer’s Stone all those years ago, that death being the next great adventure. In death, I am going to embark on my next adventure and I suggest that you do the same as well, in life.

Good bye, Professor Severus Snape, it had been an honor to have been taught by you, fought alongside and against you.

Sincerely,

Harry James Potter

Snape placed the letter on his lap and stared at it for a very long time. Snape realized that, despite the fact that he had taught the young Potter for a good part of his years at Hogwarts, he had never really known who Harry Potter really was. Looking down at the letter once more, Snape slid the letter back into the envelope. He picked up Lupin’s letter and reread it. Maybe he would pay a visit to Potter after all, once the commotion about his death had died down.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1352