For Her Glory by Solitare
Summary: Harry tries to reopen Hogwarts after it's been closed the last five years. He thought getting all the Professors back would be the hard part, but he had thought wrong... post war fic, not DH compliant
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 18904 Read: 14126 Published: 09 Aug 2007 Updated: 31 May 2017
The deal by Solitare
Author's Notes:
Read and review please

She was mad, no, no mad wasn't the right way to put it. she was worried, as always of course she thought as she tucked a strand of short red hair behind her ear, she tapped her foot and gnawed on her lip. She was always worried about Harry, she knew he rarely slept and he only ate when he was actually reminded to, he would become so distracted in some aspect about his pet project.

 

Well okay, she loved what he was doing as much as he did. But she didn't like how he worked through the night, and skipped meals to put it all together.

 

"Oo...when I get my hands on you Harry Potter!" she said stomping a foot. She sighed and turned to go back to cooking, her brothers were coming over to surprise Harry, though she had sinking feeling that Harry wouldn't be making it home. "Be safe Harry." She said softly reaching up and clutched the locket he had given her. Some boys gave the women they loved rings, she got a small locket, with a picture of the two of them in their Hogwarts uniforms, and one of them after she had chopped all her hair off. She smiled and shook her head. Maybe she could ask Mione if she could make her some dreamless sleep then she could quietly slip into Harry's evening cup of tea. Course she knew after a few days Harry would pin her with those intense eyes of his and she would babble what she was doing. Sighing she tied the apron she wore tighter, well Harry would come home when he finished what he was doing, and when he did she would be ready.

 

"Something smells good Ginny!" a voice called after a loud pop filled the room. Ginny screamed and spun around a hand over her heart.

 

"Ronald Bilius Weasley!" She screeched, her older brother sent her a sheepish smile.

 

"Sorry Gins didn't mean to scare you like that." He said sniffing the air. She snatched up a ladle and waved it at him.

 

"Stay away from that food Ronald!" she threatened. Ron sighed and gave her a sad look, he grew his hair out much like his older brother Bill, and pulled it back, he filled out nicely as well despite the lost puppy look in his face.

 

"Aw come on Gins, have heart, is Harry here by the way?" he asked looking around surprised that his best friend's stuff wasn't spread out all over the kitchen table like it normally was,  letters, and catalogs, Architect reports that he almost always was.

 

"No Harry is not here. He had to go track down the Professors he wants to teach at Hogwarts."She sniffed going over to stir one of the pots on the stove. Granted she could just whip out her wand and have it stir itself, but she found she loved cooking the old fashioned way.

 

"Don't tell me he is still stuck on getting Snape to teach again. That old geezer won't ever agree to come back. Which suits you all just fine." He said.

 

"Ronald! That was uncalled for. You know far well Professor Snape is the best potion's master, even Mione agrees with that. And before you say she'd make a ‘swell' potions professor both she and Harry agree, muggle studies is more suited to her...besides in her condition the fumes in potions class could hurt her." She said waving the ladle at her brother.

 

"Alright, alright. I just don't see why Harry feels he needs to go in person to try to convince Snape...why he felt he needed to go in person to every single Professor he wants to teach at Hogwarts. He takes on to much. We ought to have Hermione drug him so he has to stay in bed for...well for at least a week." He stated. Ginny laughed.

 

"And are you going to be the one to pin him to get him to drink a potion?" she asked. Ron paled, he didn't want to admit it, but sometimes he was afraid of his best friend. The look Harry tended to get in his eyes when he became angry, while nothing like the Dark Lord's seemed even more chilling.

 

"No...but maybe Draco..." he said, Ginny raised an eyebrow.

 

"She's been lecturing you again hasn't she, about the way you treat him." She said amused. Ron scowled.

 

"Yeah well she seems happy enough, and he does seem to really care about her...and he did punch Vincent Crabbe in the face when he sneered at her the wrong way." Ron admitted though he winced as he did so. He turned to study Ginny, his older brother instincts tingling.

 

"How about a game of wizards chess?" He asked setting his case on the table. Ginny turned and smiled slowly.

 

"Stop worrying about me." She said walking over to give her brother a tight hug. Ron smiled.

 

"I'm allowed to, I'm older than you. Come on a game, surely you can get the food to cook for you so you can play? Come play with me Ginny." He whined the last part to make her smile. She laughed and took out her wand charming her pots and ladles to cook for her.

 

"Alright, prat." She said with a grin as she sat down at the table. She fully intended to beat her brother this time...

 

Harry opened his eyes to darkness and for a moment he turned over considering going into Ginny's room to curl up with her. But as he sat up, his head began to pound reminding him he wasn't home. Merlin...he missed her. He thought pulling back the sheet and comforter to stand. The room spun for a moment, but determination caused it to right itself. He made his way from the room, murmuring a spell surprised that he had thought to do so, light filled the hallway. The walls were covered much like Hogwarts with paintings, though these one's didn't move. Muggle paintings, Harry mused as he made his way to the front door. He would owl Snape later to get his answers, he paused to glance at the window then started to walk until he froze turning his eyes. Snow was at least half way up the window.

 

"Bloody hell!!" he shouted not thinking. This was impossible, he thought panicking running to the front door he forced it opened only to get slammed back by a pile of cold snow. Shivering he sat in the snow staring, there wasn't anyway he'd be able to leave the house without using magic, and if he wanted to use magic he'd have to work on the wards surrounding the place. His teeth began to chatter as he glared at the snow.

 

"I take it you felt you needed to cool off Potter? Though it isn't wise for one who is fighting off a cold." A voice commented. Harry turned his head to see Snape fully dressed in muggle jeans and a sweatshirt. The man it seems, went straight from sleep to wide awake.

 

"I didn't know it was going to snow this much last night, or I wouldn't have stayed." He said with a quite visible pout.

 

"I did, which is why I insisted that you spend the night." Snape said smirking, he was thoroughly amused at the moment, the look on Potter's face was priceless. But all good fun must come to an end he thought sadly as Harry began to shiver. "Come on, let's get you out of those wet clothes and into something dry and warm. Then back to bed with you." He said briskly. Harry stood swaying, he dusted the snow off himself hexed the door closed with his wand and folded his arms.

 

"You knew you'd...we'd be snowed in and you didn't say anything?" he demanded. He sent a chilling look at Snape which had normal wizards and muggles a like shivering and scampering to do whatever it was he felt that needed to be done. With Snape however it did...absolutely nothing.

 

"Do I look like a moron Potter? First of all wipe that look off your face, it has never and will never affect me." Snape snapped though he added silently, that the look of terror in Harry's eyes the night before had nearly stopped his heart. "Second of all, I chose not to tell you for two very valid reasons. First of which, I wished to have time to actually make my decision unlike most of the fog brained idiots I am sure you already asked, I would like to actually think about what it is I am getting myself into!"

 

"And the second reason?" Harry asked.

 

"The second reason was you."

 

"Me? How do I factor into the fact that you forgot to mention that there was even the slightest chance that come morning I wouldn't be able to leave!" Harry snarled. Snape raised an eyebrow, Potter still had that hot as ever temper, though not even a single item in the house shook because of it.

"You stand there, barely able to function, due to illness and lack of sleep and you can't phantom a reason in that thick skull of yours why you could possibly be a factor?" Snape said, he smirked more as Harry growled at him.

 

"Yes. You are not making any sense Severus." Harry said purposely using Snape's first name. The Potion's master smirked.

 

"Well Harry then I shall explain. You still have not out grown that idiotic self sacrificing attitude of yours I see. Very well then," Snape took a deep breath. "As you recall I was there during the final battle, I saw just what you did. More than anyone else I'm sure in fact, as you weren't committed to Saint Mungos directly after." Snape said smirking. Harry scowled at him. Damn stupid spy abilities, he cursed silently to himself.

 

"I don't see how actions five years ago have to do with now."

 

"Have you even stopped to give yourself a break Potter? Taken a vacation? From what I've heard, the savoir of the Wizarding world has spent the last five years, either absorbing any information he can, or helping every single wizard rebuild. So when is it that you actually take time for your own life?" Snape pressed. His eyes blazed with triumph when Harry, slightly blushing actually looked thoughtful.

 

"I can rest after Ho-"

 

"Potter, I know you. You will just find something else to occupy your time. Use excuse after excuse to avoid anyone from actually noticing what it is you've done to yourself."

 

"Done to myself! I haven't done anything!" Harry squeaked out a weak protest. But his voice was waved away by a hand.

 

"Haven't done anything is right, you look like you rarely allow yourself to eat."

 

"I-"

 

"And then of course there's the sleep issue. Obviously you don't get much at all, and have grown accustomed to this. That will stop."

 

"What do you mean it will-"

 

"And of course then there's any lasting damage from you pushing your body to the limits. Is Madame Pomfrey returning to Hogwarts as Mediwitch?" Snape continued.

 

"Yesss..." Harry hissed. Snape smirked.

 

"Then I'm sure there will be a bed with your name on it in the hospital wing."

 

"I'm not a student there! I am going-"

"All the more reason then, as I am sure you intend students to cast hexes at you during class." Snape stated, the way Harry mumbled and glanced at the ground confirmed his suspicions. Then an idea began to form in his mind, he narrowed his eyes taking in every inch of the one time boy-who-lived.

 

"Prof-"

 

"I will make a deal with you Potter. I will agree to teach once more if you follow this deal." Snape said softly.

 

"What kind of deal?"

 

"Either agree or decline. As for the deal, you will allow me to be in charge..." Snape paused making sure that he had his former student's full attention once he was sure he did he moved on. "In charge of your health." He finished. Harry gaped at him.

 

"What?!" Harry said shocked. Snape smirked as he folded his arms. Harry was now shivering badly and if he wasn't ready for bed again he soon would be.

 

"You heard me Potter? So what shall it be?"

 

"You expect me to decide now?" Harry hissed through his teeth. He could not believe this was happening. "Besides what is the point in you being in charge of my health I'll most likely just ignore you."

 

"Because by agreeing to this you give me rights to take drastic measures." Snape pointed out. He wanted to push the boy...alright man into agreeing so he could get him out of the wet clothes and back into bed where he belonged. Harry sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

 

"And how would we explain this to others?"

 

"Simple...that I saw how poorly you care for yourself and took matters into my own hands. And I know your friends Potter, they will actually be thanking me." He said smirking. Harry glared at him. But he sighed closing his eyes.

 

"I'd do anything to restore Hogwarts...even if that means agreeing to this idiotic deal of yours Professor. Very well we have an accord." He said wearily. Snape frowned...he wanted Harry to agree to it for himself not for the blasted school! Shaking his head Snape grabbed hold of Harry's arm and led him back to the bedroom.

 

"Good...starting now, strip out of those clothes Potter, we need to get you into something warm, I'll be back with several potions I want you to take." He said. He left Harry standing in the doorway but paused at the defeated look in the younger man's eyes.

 

"Harry just because you agreed doesn't mean you don't have any rights, argue, fight all you like it doesn't mean you're going back on your word." Snape said worried. Harry smiled sadly.

 

"It isn't that...I just...I just want to be home professor." He said wearily taking off his shirt and began to remove his pants. Snape lingered another minute.

 

"You have someone?"

 

"Yes." Harry answered and mumbled thanks when he was handed a pair of black pajamas.

 

"Which one did you end up with?" Snape further questioned.

 

"Ginny....she...she's expecting me at home...and now with the no magic barrier here...I won't..."

 

"Does she have a telephone?" Harry blinked tiredly at Snape.

 

"Well...yeah..."

 

"Then you can call her after you've rested. Get in bed Potter I'll be back with your potions." Snape said and swept from the room. Harry stumbled to the bed and fell into it falling asleep almost immediately. Snape walked back in several minutes later and stared at the sleeping form. Sighing he set the potions on the table and leaned over feeling Harry's forehead. It was still burning up. He gently shook the young wizard awake.

 

"Huh...wazzuh?" Harry mumbled incoherently. Snape picked up the first vial and put it to Harry's lips.

 

"Drink." He commanded. Harry blinked sleepily but obeyed drinking it all and wincing at the taste.

 

"You always make em' taste so bad." Harry whined closing his eyes starting to slide back asleep, but was shaken awake again. He opened one eye and hissed at Snape who merely smirked and put the last vial to Harry's lips, after several minutes of muttering drank it. He settled back down and as Snape headed for the door he called out. "Thanks Professor, in case I don't say it latter...I have a feeling we might be arguing." He said tiredly. Snape snorted.

 

"If you still act anything like you did at Hogwarts as a student. Then yes we will be having many arguments...that I will win Mr. Potter now go to sleep." Harry snorted.

 

"Whatever you say..." Harry muttered and fell back asleep. Snape stared at the man that lay on the bed and shook his head, Potter never failed to amaze him. He slid from the room but silently set wards up to alert him this time when the bo-man awoke. Potter didn't need to know that some magic as able to be used, if he continued to believe that magic couldn't be used then he would be less trouble.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1376