Into the Labyrinth by Judgment99
Summary: Snape and Harry accidentally fall through a portrait and become lost within the walls of Hogwarts.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 13586 Read: 33176 Published: 17 Aug 2007 Updated: 20 Sep 2008
Chapter 4 by Judgment99

After a few hours of sleep Harry finally opened his eyes. Snape was already up and stretching his back. Snape noticed Harry and said "Well?…shall we proceed?"

"Ya…sure." Harry said with a yawn.

"Good…" Snape replied.

They stood in the center of the hall waiting for the people to appear in the halls. Finally they appeared. Dumbledore appeared in the first hallway. "Harry! I see you have found the Labyrinths! Severus! Spending a little quality time with your students? Glad to see you finally took my advice! Now, no time to stand around. Let's get going, shall we?" Dumbledore said, with his usual smile on his face.

"Quality time?" Harry echoed, staring at Snape. He wanted to laugh but when he saw Snape's expression to him he quickly stopped.

The next hall was filled by Hagrid. "Harry! What are ye doin' down 'ere? You should be 'n bed! Ah well. C'mon!" said Hagrid, his voice booming through the hall.

And last was Molly Weasly. "Harry?! What are on earth are you doing here? You should be in bed, you need rest! Come on, we'll go to the burrow. You look famished! Ah Severus. Yes you come as well. Come for dinner." She said in a happy tone.

"This is going to be hard…" Harry said, breaking the silence between him and Snape.

"Indeed. Well, who do you trust the most, Potter." Snape said, eying Dumbledore.

"Well…" Harry began, scratching his head. "Dumbledore."

Snape nodded in agreement. "Then?" he said with a smirk to Harry. Snape obviously knew that Harry loved the last remaining two very much, almost equally.

"I…hey? Why is the hall just reacting to me, and not you? Why do I have to make the decisions?" Harry questioned forcefully. "What about you?"

"It will be my turn soon enough…" Snape said a hint of disgust in his voice. "If you haven't noticed yet. I now all these people as well. I have come to the same conclusions as you when it comes to choosing the correct path." he finished, now staring at Harry.

Wait?… What?…does that mean he chose the same people as me?… "Oh…ok." Harry replied, trying his best to sound as if he understood.

"Yes it means I choose the same people as you, Potter!" Snape said, frustrated.

Harry said nothing. He turned a slight shade of red and turned back to Hagrid and Molly. "I trust Hagrid more than Mrs. Weasly…" He finally said.

"Good." Snape said. He took a few steps toward Molly when he looked back. "Quality Time." He spat at the fake Dumbledore.

Harry laughed a little at this. For some reason it was funny seeing Snape mad.

They followed the illusion once again down the long hallway for a while before Harry started to lag behind.

"Keep up, Potter!" Snape hissed at him.

"I know! I'm a little thirsty! We haven't had a drink in a long time. Or anything to eat." Harry pointed out.

"Well aware, Potter! That’s why you keep your mind on other things." Snape said.

"Well like what?" Harry questioned. "Not much to think about right now."

"Oh really?" Snape said, there was a hint of malice in his voice. "Well for starters. I'm currently trying to figure out why we are here. Well?" Snape finished, putting a hand in his pocket.

The coin! Did he drop it when we fell? No, he has to have it… "We fell through the portrait. How else are we going to get here?" Harry said, trying not to look in his Potion Masters eyes.

"Wrong answer." Snape said. He stopped and was now staring at Harry. "And yes. I still have your galleon. Would you like it back?…All you have to do is tell me what it's for." Snape finished, tauntingly.

"I forgot about the galleon." He lied.

"Then why did you try to take it from me? Why are we in this mess? And what purpose does it have?!" Snape said now yelling.

"It's none of your business!" Harry shouted before he could stop himself.

Snape stared at Harry looking murderous. Harry felt as if Snape was tearing through him, looking for the real reason he wanted back the galleon.

"Very well." Snape said in such a calm matter that it freighted Harry. "I will just keep it until you tell me."

Harry wanted to say something, anything. He needed that galleon back.

"Hmm?…Could this perhaps inform someone of where we are? Well Potter!" Snape said holding the coin in his hands.

"No. It--" Harry quickly stopped. Maybe I can trick him! "Actually. It can. Here let me see if it works here." Harry said, holding out his hand.

"Nice try, Potter." Snape smirked. "But your first answer was 'no'. You won't be able to fool me that easily."

Harry realized it would be pointless to argue with Snape. He didn’t say anything more.

They started down the hall again. An eerie silence was between them. They didn’t look or even breath in the others direction. At least he wasn’t thirsty anymore.

Finally, after an hour of silence a split in the hall came. Mrs. Weasly turned toward both of them, waved, then disappeared.

Almost immediately 3 more figures appeared. First was filled by a "Dementor?!" Harry shouted.

"Yes. The hall must be reacting to your worst fears…"

The Dementor gave a raspy breath. The whole room was immediately filled with cold air.

The second hall was filled with "The Dark Lord?…" Snape said, trying to sound amused. He was looking at the snake dangling around Voldemorts neck. Harry saw Snape's left arm twitch a little.

Then finally the last room was filled by "What? There's nothing there. Just black smoke." Harry said. Looking at Snape. "What do we choose? Nothing temps me…"

At first Snape didn’t say anything. He was staring into the dark mist when Harry's words finally clicked. "It is the opposite as the others. Just go to what you are afraid most of…I'm guessing that’s the Dark Lord?" Snape said, now facing Harry.

"Not really." Harry said, sounding confident. "The dementors almost killed me once. Me and Sirius. And Voldemort killed himself when he tried to kill me…so the mist…well, lets not go in the mist…" he finished, sounding worried.

"You afraid of the unknown? That is what the mist represents." Snape said, he was looking at Harry with an unreadable expression.

"I…I just don’t want to find out what's in there. That might be the wrong way." Harry said. He was afraid of the unknown. But he couldn’t let Snape know that.

"Potter…" Snape started, the unreadable expression still on his face. "If you don’t want to travel into the mist, for whatever reason, that is where we must go." He finished.

A look of dread took over Harry's face. "O-ok." He said quickly.

Snape started toward the hall, Harry next to him. Before they went into the hall Snape shot Harry a look that look like sympathy. But in a flash the usual scowl was back on his face.

Harry let out a sigh, then they both stepped into the mist.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Would anybody like to be my Beta Reader? Please.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1382