Into the Labyrinth by Judgment99
Summary: Snape and Harry accidentally fall through a portrait and become lost within the walls of Hogwarts.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 13586 Read: 33170 Published: 17 Aug 2007 Updated: 20 Sep 2008
Chapter 5 by Judgment99
Author's Notes:
Special thanks to my Beta reader veritas427. Thanks sooo much.

As they continued along the path, the mist seemed to linger blanketing lazily around them. It appeared almost magnetic, as it covered the two wizards hair and clothes. The mist became thicker and thicker, the farther that they walked. Harry could barely see Snape in the almost indistinguishable fog. The man's black robes blended seamlessly into the mist, almost making him a hidden target. Feeling slightly disconcerted, Harry paused in his footsteps. Looking around in growing despair, he finally spoke.

"Professor? Where are you?"

"Honestly Potter! I'm standing right next to you." Snape said, sounding a little irritated.

Harry quickly whipped his head around toward where he had heard Snape speak. His vision latched onto the deep black orbs that were the potion master's eyes. He almost sighed with audible relief. "Oh. I can barely see anything. What should we do?"

"We keep walking. The corridor only goes one way. The worst that could happen is that one of us goes too far or strays behind. If that were to occur, then all you would have to do was continue on until you reach the next split."

"We should probably stay together." Harry said quietly. "I don't want to get lost."

"Perhaps I should have brought a leash then. Lets go!" Snape said, still frustrated with a cold sneer on his face.

"You know--" Harry started, but Snape quickly covered his mouth with his hand effectively canceling out any further speech.

"Quiet, Potter!" Snape hissed. "Something is watching us!" He finished in a tight whisper.

Harry looked around and quickly saw what Snape was referring to. Two eyes were staring at them through the mist. Wasting no time, Snape simultaneously grabbed Harry by the arm, swiftly pushing him behind himself, and pointed his wand at the eyes.

"Wait!" Harry whispered, knocking Snape's wand out of his hand.

"Idiot! What did you do that for?" Snape hissed, his eyes burning like fire.

"Maybe it could help us." Harry insisted. "Wait and see what it does." "Or it could kill us!" Snape said. The mere idea that I am in Slytherin's labyrinth should be punishment enough. What did I do to deserve ending up in here with a brainless Gryffindor as my sole companion as well? Snape thought. Bringing himself back to the present, he quickly spoke. "Where's my wand?!" Snape was now running his eyes along the stone floor in hopes of finding his wand. Unfortunately, he could not see through the thick mist that seemed to be growing heavier and heavier by the moment. As he continued his futile search, the eyes began to draw more near to them. Harry walked from around Snape and came towards the eyes.

"Potter get back here!"

Harry didn't listen. There was something about those eyes, it was as though he was hypnotized. He stopped short when Snape grabbed him roughly.

"Do you have any common--" Snape started. Suddenly he stopped speaking and Harry noticed that Snape's expression became softer. Slowly, Snape's gaze shifted from the wandering eyes to Harry's own. "Do you understand?" He said slowly in an almost awestruck voice. "Do you know who those belong to?" He said, pointing a finger at the floating pair. Harry looked confused. "No. How should I know. Do you know? Who do they belong to then?"

Snape stared into Harry's eyes for a moment, turned to look at the floating ones, and then again back at him. What's he doing?!Why is looking at me like that?...What is he playing at? Suddenly a quick realization came to Harry. Harry gasped. He took a timid step closer to the eyes and stopped.

"Well?" Snape said, still talking slowly.

"They're my mom's." Harry stopped, a woman with radiant auburn hair walked out from the mist in front of them.

"Get behind me, Potter." Snape said, looking at the woman. Harry, too dazed by his mother's appearance, reluctantly obeyed without comment.

"You both have been so brave." The woman said in a sweet voice. "Severus. Do you remember me?"

"Lily." Snape started, his voice cracked a little. "Why are you here?" He said, now talking sternly.

"I thought I would help you, you seem lost. Thank you Severus!" She said, her eyes twinkling.Snape swallowed hard fighting with all his might against a lump that was growing in his throat. How could he keep up his icy exterior around
her?

"For what?" he asked, a little calmer. "You can't be here. You are merely an illusion, nothing more." he swallowed again. "Leave."

She didn't seem to hear his last words. "Harry dear, come here." Lily said, opening her arms. Harry started to move forward towards his mother but stopped. He looked
at Snape. Harry opened his mouth, trying to form words, but nothing managed to come out. Trick you to your death...these thoughts that had been spoken already, caused Harry to pause in consideration. Snape nodded in agreement. He knew what he was thinking.

"No." Harry said softly. "You're an illusion." He finished more strongly.

"What?" Lily said sounding a little mad. "You don't trust me?but you trust this; she pointed towards Snape, traitor."

The last word stung. With a sharp intake of breath, Snape took a step back and his boots landed on something. He bent down to pick up his wand, and then pointed it at Lily. Harry hesitated, but followed with th same motion.

"What?" Lily said. Still a little mad. "You side with the traitor Severus, I thought you loved me? You too Harry? You are a traitor too Harry! You aren't my son! She ended in a sob.

"Be quiet!" Harry shouted. "You're not my mother! My mother would never call me a traitor! Nor would she call Snape one! My mother loved me!" Still fuming, he stepped even closer." Harry used his wand, positioned it as though it was a sword and with an instant, fluid motion, slashed at the Lily illusion. With a large crack, the apparition vanished.

Harry turned to Snape, who's face was pale, and said after a long pause "Let's go..."

Snape felt as though he had been punched in the stomach. Traitor. That's what she had called him. His stomach twisted in knots, and he felt nauseous. Inwardly taking a deep breath, he forced himself to relax, and turned toward Harry. With a simple nod, they continued on their way.

After ten minutes of unspoken words, Harry could not take the silence anymore. "Professor?" he began.

"Yes?" Snape replied, without a single trace of emotion.

"I..." Harry mumbled silently.

"What were you thinking when she appeared?" Snape began.

"What?..I was thinking..." Harry stopped. What was he thinking? "I don't remember. She called me a traitor."

"Yes. She called me that as well. However, it was just an illusion. Remember that these illusions are not what they seem, and are meant to trick you. Don't let them effect you." He said. Abruptly changing his tone, he spoke in a business-like voice. "The smoke is starting to clear. I believe that that is a strong indication that there will be another split up ahead." He was correct. The smoke cleared and revealed another hall that split off into three different directions.

"You know what I noticed? The right way has always been the third hallway. We should just go down that one." Harry said, and started for the last hallway.

"No, Potter." Snape said, annoyed. "That may be coincidence. We have to choose correctly. We don't need your brainless Gryffindor logic, to try to get through this. We need to use some logic and tact."

Harry sighed and took his place next to Snape.

They did not have to wait long for three more figures to appear.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1382